PDA

View Full Version : Black hockey pioneers

HIU 93
February 27th, 2007, 10:29 AM
http://blackvoices.aol.com/black_sports/special/_a/rewriting-hockey-history-in-black-and/20060424160809990001

Peems
February 27th, 2007, 10:39 AM
These guys really did their research. Though i personally believe that hockey will never really "catch" on with most regions outside of the northeast.

andy7171
February 27th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Wasn't Bobby Orr black?

citdog
February 27th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I am sure that HIU93 can point you to a website that claims that blacks invented hockey!xlolx xlolx xlolx

HIU 93
February 27th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Wasn't Bobby Orr black?

No.

HIU 93
February 27th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I am sure that HIU93 can point you to a website that claims that blacks invented hockey!xlolx xlolx xlolx

I'm sure you didn't read the article, once again exhibiting the brilliance of the "master" race!xlolx

If you had, you probably would have seen this quote.

"They gave us modern hockey," says George Fosty, who spent seven years on the book with his brother, Darril. "Fundamental Canadian history says that hockey is an Anglo-Saxon invention. We say hockey is an evolution, and that there was a black influence."

Cobblestone
February 27th, 2007, 11:50 AM
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=00008702

This guy was the first and I think only black hockey player I ever saw. I watched him play for the then Providence Reds in the AHL, the guy was a good player and made to the WHA. Some of you older guys on this board might remember that league. It was a rival to the NHL, it most notoriety was Gordie Howe and his two sons all played on the same front line together for the Houston franchise.

AppGuy04
February 27th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Dude, there is probably a black influence on everything, doesn't mean you have constantly bring it up

HIU 93
February 27th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Dude, there is probably a black influence on everything, doesn't mean you have constantly bring it up

Does it bristle your feelings? Good. If you're uncomfortable with Black people making inroads in society, I will continue to bring historical and current stories of such to the boards!:thumbsup:

Gil Dobie
February 27th, 2007, 12:10 PM
These guys really did their research. Though i personally believe that hockey will never really "catch" on with most regions outside of the northeast.

Hmmmmm Midwest, Minnesota, Wisconsin etc.

Peems
February 27th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Hmmmmm Midwest, Minnesota, Wisconsin etc.

east of Montana!:) :thumbsup:

HIU 93
February 27th, 2007, 12:21 PM
east of Montana!:) :thumbsup:

Northwest as well. Calgary seems to enjoy their hockey.

AppGuy04
February 27th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Does it bristle your feelings? Good. If you're uncomfortable with Black people making inroads in society, I will continue to bring historical and current stories of such to the boards!:thumbsup:

Just bristles me that the only things you post are about race

Peems
February 27th, 2007, 12:23 PM

got me there. :)

HIU 93
February 27th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Just bristles me that the only things you post are about race

Once again, you're wrong. Those just happen to be the only ones you read. But, since it bristles you, I will continue to do it.:thumbsup:

NE MT GRIZZ
February 27th, 2007, 12:30 PM

Montana has around 5 Junior B teams that will move up to Junior
A next year.

HIU 93
February 27th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Montana has around 5 Junior B teams that will move up to Junior
A next year.

Don't know what that means, but sounds cool to me!:thumbsup:

I'm really not a big hockey fan anymore. I liked it in the 1980's, but it kind of fell out of my favor when it left ESPN for YEARS and I couldn't find it on my television.

I just thought the story was very interesting.

NE MT GRIZZ
February 27th, 2007, 12:38 PM

I don't really know the steps from Junior Hockey to the NHL.
I just read that awhile ago and know that hockey is becoming very popular in MT.

Peems
February 27th, 2007, 12:43 PM

I'm really not a big hockey fan anymore. I liked it in the 1980's, but it kind of fell out of my favor when it left ESPN for YEARS and I couldn't find it on my television.

I just thought the story was very interesting.

I myself have never been a big hockey fan. We do have some "minor league" teams in my town, but i just dont go out and support them. However, i always do love this quote about the sport.

"Once I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out.":)

Gil Dobie
February 27th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Also Vancouver! It helps to have outside ice to skate on in the winter.

HIU 93
February 27th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Also Vancouver! It helps to have outside ice to skate on in the winter.

Yeah. It still amazes me when I travel and I see kids doing just that. It's just too damn cold for me!xlolx

Gil Dobie
February 27th, 2007, 12:58 PM
And by the way, thanks for the great link to hockey history. :thumbsup:

HIU 93
February 27th, 2007, 12:59 PM
And by the way, thanks for the great link to hockey history. :thumbsup:

You are very welcome.:thumbsup:

B&G
February 27th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Hmm, I learned something today with this post. Although many say that the sport evolved from a different source. In the early 1800's they played Ice Hurley in Ireland which some credit as the roots of hockey. And McGill University is credited with inventing the rules of hockey in the 1870's. But this was an angle I had never heard. Next thing you know we will find out that golf was invented in Ghana.

saint0917
February 27th, 2007, 01:23 PM
http://blackvoices.aol.com/black_sports/special/_a/rewriting-hockey-history-in-black-and/20060424160809990001

Thanks for the link HIU93. Just the other day on T.V. they ( ESPN I think) did a story on the Coloured Hockey League (CHL). There is some proof that the CHL was around before the NHL. The finding have been brought to the attention of the NHL.

saint0917
February 27th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Hmm, I learned something today with this post. Although many say that the sport evolved from a different source. In the early 1800's they played Ice Hurley in Ireland which some credit as the roots of hockey. And McGill University is credited with inventing the rules of hockey in the 1870's. But this was an angle I had never heard. Next thing you know we will find out that golf was invented in Ghana.

Hey you never know, I'll look into it. ;)

Mr. C
February 27th, 2007, 01:36 PM
When I was young, we had a semi-pro team called the Fresno Falcons. Most of the players in the league they played in were not very good, but we had this black defenseman named Willie Mastin. This was back in the 1960s and there was NO chance for Mastin to play at the NHL level. There simply were no blacks in the league. Mastin ended up going to Europe to continue his pro career.

I think the WHA probably had a lot of influence on blacks finally coming back into the NHL. One of the first I remember was Grant Fuhr, the exceptional goalie with the championship Edmonton Oilers teams that also featured Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Jari Kuri, Paul Coffey and others.

Mr. C
February 27th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I have to say that some of the racially-tinged comments in this thread trouble me. Some of you guys come off as rednecks and borderline (or maybe not-so-borderline) racists with your comments. How about some civility around here? If you don't like a thread, ignore it. Don't ruin a legitimate subject of discussion by stooping to name calling and accusations. Some of the rest of us would like to discuss this without wading through a bunch of crap.

andy7171
February 28th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Was Bobby Clark black? I bet he was.

The Gadfly
February 28th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I have to say that some of the racially-tinged comments in this thread trouble me. Some of you guys come off as rednecks and borderline (or maybe not-so-borderline) racists with your comments. How about some civility around here? If you don't like a thread, ignore it. Don't ruin a legitimate subject of discussion by stooping to name calling and accusations. Some of the rest of us would like to discuss this without wading through a bunch of crap.

Not to seem too "rednecky" for your Californian taste, but this whole thread is a bunch of crap. Do you see me rambling about the contributions that whites have given to society? No. Why? Because it's rude. What is his point: That humans with dark skin are more superior than their white brothers and sisters? That there's this cover-up on everything known to man that the humans with less skin pigment "stole" everything they know from humans with more skin pigment? DAMN, you caught us. So now that that's said, I'm going to hang out with my fellow black, yellow, red, brown, and yes. . . white alumni. We don't like to be so closed minded as you HIU93.

PS. . . Hampton is the school of Booker T. Washington, NOT W.E.B. Dubois. So act like a man, not a cry baby. :twocents:

HIU 93
March 1st, 2007, 12:50 PM
Not to seem too "rednecky" for your Californian taste, but this whole thread is a bunch of crap. Do you see me rambling about the contributions that whites have given to society? No. Why? Because it's rude. What is his point: That humans with dark skin are more superior than their white brothers and sisters? That there's this cover-up on everything known to man that the humans with less skin pigment "stole" everything they know from humans with more skin pigment? DAMN, you caught us. So now that that's said, I'm going to hang out with my fellow black, yellow, red, brown, and yes. . . white alumni. We don't like to be so closed minded as you HIU93.

PS. . . Hampton is the school of Booker T. Washington, NOT W.E.B. Dubois. So act like a man, not a cry baby. :twocents:

I'm going to do four things on this post. The first thing I am going to do is address your concerns about the post. I posted this information because this is a sports site and the story is an interesting sports history story. It happens to be a story I did not know of, and I thought it would be interesting to share with other sports fans who may not have known about it.

The second thing I am going to do is to correct your assumptions about Booker T. Washington. By the tone of your statement, I take it that you are one of those people who believe that Booker T. Washington was some sort of foot shuffling, head scratching, coon who was afraid of white folks and knew his place. That is one of the most egregious misrepresentations of fact in all of American history. Booker T. Washington was as much of a revolutionary as W.E.B. DuBois. They were, however, speaking to different audiences, therefore, they spoke in different terms, and tones.

Thirdly, I am going to use your statements to define what you are. I am a multi-generational Hamptonian. I have direct forebears who attended Hampton along with Booker T. Washington. I am alumnus and a financial contributor at the highest level. The sheer arrogance and hubris which you display by making the feeble attempt at explaining to me who Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. DuBois were, and where Booker T. Washington went to school, shows the world your true colors and racist feelings.

Finally, I am going to take it "back home" for you. You see I am from the country, and I am as old school as they come. You're from SC, so you should know something about that. To make it plain for you, when you question a person's manhood, that is a personal attack and that is something you are going to have to backup. In other words, anytime you feel like making that journey up here to NoVA and proving that I lack manhood, feel free. I can guarantee you one thing for *****ing sure- when I send your simple ass back to SC, we are going to know, without a shadow of a doubt, who the man really is.:twocents:

Have a Good Day!

Lapper
March 2nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
:rolleyes:

Gadfly being a racist is like saying Hitler went to temple. Apparently you don't know Gadfly. He actually considers Dr. BTW a hero of his. How do I know that? Because we both majored in history and he chose to write his senior thesis on Dr. Washington. He was hooked on the man after I gave him my copy of "Out of Slavery" (WHICH YOU STILL HAVE JAWZ!). Also, he has more AA friends than any white dude I know. So please don't throw your "racist card" at him, or anyone else for that matter. It makes the rest of us (AA's) look bad. You are right about him being country though HIU93.

Jawz, Fly, whatever you go by, HUI93 was simply making a statement about his AA heritage and doubt he is as militant as you think he is. I find the article interesting and informative. How true is it? That I would have to research, but I don't have the time, nor THAT much interest in doing so.

Just understand that you guys might be on the same page here. Now kiss and make up guys. xsmoochx

wkuhillhound
March 2nd, 2007, 11:49 AM

:hurray: :hurray: :nod: :nod: Nothing else needs to be said.

HIU 93
March 4th, 2007, 06:22 PM
:rolleyes:

Gadfly being a racist is like saying Hitler went to temple. Apparently you don't know Gadfly. He actually considers Dr. BTW a hero of his. How do I know that? Because we both majored in history and he chose to write his senior thesis on Dr. Washington. He was hooked on the man after I gave him my copy of "Out of Slavery" (WHICH YOU STILL HAVE JAWZ!). Also, he has more AA friends than any white dude I know. So please don't throw your "racist card" at him, or anyone else for that matter. It makes the rest of us (AA's) look bad. You are right about him being country though HIU93.

Jawz, Fly, whatever you go by, HUI93 was simply making a statement about his AA heritage and doubt he is as militant as you think he is. I find the article interesting and informative. How true is it? That I would have to research, but I don't have the time, nor THAT much interest in doing so.

Just understand that you guys might be on the same page here. Now kiss and make up guys. xsmoochx

1. I don't purport to speak for all Black people, so I don't see how I (or any one man) can make all of us look bad, good, or indifferent. You have your opinion of the man from knowing him. I go by what he says and the tone of his writings. I'm sure Booker T. Washington is a hero of his. The question you must ask is- why?

2. I said I was from the country, not him. I know it is minutia, but you AGS folks seem to be great with such tiny details.

3. He's your friend, you make up with him. He is, to quote Jennifer Lewis, "On my list!!!!".

HIU 93
March 4th, 2007, 06:23 PM
:hurray: :hurray: :nod: :nod: Nothing else needs to be said.

Thank you!:thumbsup: :hurray: