PDA

View Full Version : Worst team to make the playoffs?

JacksFan40
April 1st, 2018, 07:29 PM
Since I started all these threads technically with the Best team in history, I feel like making another one. Obviously we have the Worst champion thread, but this one is about the worst team to have just made the playoffs. I’d say Lehigh’s 5-6 team last year was pretty bad.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 1st, 2018, 07:41 PM
Since I started all these threads technically with the Best team in history, I feel like making another one. Obviously we have the Worst champion thread, but this one is about the worst team to have just made the playoffs. I’d say Lehigh’s 5-6 team last year was pretty bad.

Watching Monmouth at UNI in the playoffs last year was interesting. Monmouth was crap and should not have been in.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 1st, 2018, 08:17 PM
I don't think there's been a unit that has ever been part of the playoffs worse than Lehigh's defense last year. Lehigh was the unusual case of being a preseason Top 20 team, being picked to win the PL/return to the playoffs but ultimately sucked (even though certain goals were met) due to a horrific D. The Mountain Hawk offense had a 1st team All-American RB, an elite WR in Troy Pelletier, a killer #2 WR in Gatlin Casey, a top tier FCS QB in Brad Mayes and a very good OL. But, again, the defense was a complete embarrassment.

2013 Lafayette (5-6) deserves serious consideration
2006 Lafayette (6-5) wasn't very good either

There have been some bad MEAC and PFL teams to make it.

PAllen
April 1st, 2018, 08:23 PM
Both 5-6 PL champs make a strong claim for the title. There have been some very bad MEAC, OVC, Southland, PFL, and Big South teams as well.

TheKingpin28
April 1st, 2018, 08:51 PM
GFCC against Richmond has to be up there somewhere.

cx500d
April 1st, 2018, 09:21 PM

I think they were the best 5-6 team. Good offense.

cx500d
April 1st, 2018, 09:23 PM
65-7?

62-10?

51-16?

NY Crusader 2010
April 1st, 2018, 10:58 PM
In no particular order:

1) Lafayette 2006 (6-5) -- to give them some credit, I seem to remember they at least had a pulse against eventual runner-up UMASS in the first round.
2) Lafayette 2013 (5-6) -- IIRC, they managed to somehow draw Fordham, Colgate and Lehigh when their QB's were hurt that week. UNH just scored again...
3) Every PFL rep excluding San Diego the past two years
4) Morgan State 2014 (7-5) -- lost to a dumpster fire Holy Cross team, coached by Crusader alum Lee Hull
5) Wagner & Colgate 2013 -- up there for worst pillow-fight in FCS playoff history

NY Crusader 2010
April 1st, 2018, 11:01 PM
Watching Monmouth at UNI in the playoffs last year was interesting. Monmouth was crap and should not have been in.

MAYBE true that they shouldn't have been in but I wouldn't put them among the worst playoff teams ever. Give UNI some credit -- playing in the dome not an easy task. Maybe chalk up the blowout to Monmouth experiencing some stage fright.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 2nd, 2018, 06:02 AM
MAYBE true that they shouldn't have been in but I wouldn't put them among the worst playoff teams ever. Give UNI some credit -- playing in the dome not an easy task. Maybe chalk up the blowout to Monmouth experiencing some stage fright.

The D2 team across the river from Fargo would have beaten Monmouth and probably the D3 team that was very good in Moorhead also. Oh ya, UNI took their foot off the pedal also.

Mattymc727
April 2nd, 2018, 06:37 AM
UNH any year blah blah blah

RootinFerDukes
April 2nd, 2018, 07:16 AM
Any of the 6-5 teams that have received a bid in the past few years. Monmouth last year. Any 3rd or 4th place SLC team that gets in. All Pioneer teams except for San Diego the past two years. Every MEAC team since the last time they won a I-AA playoff game in the late 90s.

NY Crusader 2010
April 2nd, 2018, 01:40 PM
The D2 team across the river from Fargo would have beaten Monmouth and probably the D3 team that was very good in Moorhead also. Oh ya, UNI took their foot off the pedal also.

Sure, a top D2 might have had a shot to beat a fringe FCS playoff team -- that's nothing new. Just like most of the FCS playoff field would hold their own against FBS teams playing in lower-tier bowl games.

But Monmouth was not a historically bad playoff team IMO, and definitely not the worst in last year's field. Monmouth would have KILLED Central Connecticut State head to head. They were ranked higher than playoff participant Nicholls and top-15 Grambling according to Sagarin. Obviously, they were head and shoulders better than 5-6 Lehigh, who may be the real answer to this trivia question.

It's not like Monmouth is the first team ever to get absolutely obliterated by a Valley team on the road in the first round.

clenz
April 2nd, 2018, 02:27 PM
Sure, a top D2 might have had a shot to beat a fringe FCS playoff team -- that's nothing new. Just like most of the FCS playoff field would hold their own against FBS teams playing in lower-tier bowl games.

But Monmouth was not a historically bad playoff team IMO, and definitely not the worst in last year's field. Monmouth would have KILLED Central Connecticut State head to head. They were ranked higher than playoff participant Nicholls and top-15 Grambling according to Sagarin. Obviously, they were head and shoulders better than 5-6 Lehigh, who may be the real answer to this trivia question.

It's not like Monmouth is the first team ever to get absolutely obliterated by a Valley team on the road in the first round.

That was a laughably bad Monmouth team. I’ve seen plenty of teams get dicked in the UNIDome that didn’t belong on the same field as UNI. That was up there with the 09 ST Francis team, the winless Indiana State teams, the Drake teams, etc.

I’ll nominate the 2013 McNeese State team that somehow was a 6 seed but got beat 46-6 by 5-6 UNI - who pulled starters at half.

Also 2010 UNI. That was was horrendous and finished with like 2 conference wins in any seasons not numbered 2010

Go...gate
April 2nd, 2018, 02:53 PM
In no particular order:

1) Lafayette 2006 (6-5) -- to give them some credit, I seem to remember they at least had a pulse against eventual runner-up UMASS in the first round.
2) Lafayette 2013 (5-6) -- IIRC, they managed to somehow draw Fordham, Colgate and Lehigh when their QB's were hurt that week. UNH just scored again...
3) Every PFL rep excluding San Diego the past two years
4) Morgan State 2014 (7-5) -- lost to a dumpster fire Holy Cross team, coached by Crusader alum Lee Hull
5) Wagner & Colgate 2013 -- up there for worst pillow-fight in FCS playoff history

Say what? Neither club was that bad. Colgate was hurt by its own administration by not making any effort to bid on a home playoff game. Wagner played very well and deserved the victory. They also played well in the round of 16.

NY Crusader 2010
April 2nd, 2018, 04:53 PM
[/B]
Say what? Neither club was that bad. Colgate was hurt by its own administration by not making any effort to bid on a home playoff game. Wagner played very well and deserved the victory. They also played well in the round of 16.

Perhaps I am biased because of the fact that Wagner should have lost to, and just barely beat a poor, Holy Cross team. You guys beat us 51-35 that season in a game that was close until about a minute left in the third quarter.

And I got the year wrong. It was 2012.

dgtw
April 2nd, 2018, 05:19 PM
As one who watched both games, I vote for Jax State 2016 and 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go...gate
April 2nd, 2018, 09:09 PM
Perhaps I am biased because of the fact that Wagner should have lost to, and just barely beat a poor, Holy Cross team. You guys beat us 51-35 that season in a game that was close until about a minute left in the third quarter.

That was Dick Biddle's last Patriot League Championship. The defense had a lot of injuries and we had to outscore everybody.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 2nd, 2018, 10:53 PM

Lehigh still deserved an at-large bid in 2012. Their OOC wasn't great (Liberty being only "OK" really hurt) but they went 10-1 and had beaten the MVFC and CAA champs in the playoffs the previous two years. The 2012 team still had Spadola/Kurfis at WR (2 1st team All-Americans), Barkett/Sherman RB combo and a pretty darn good defense. I just find it absurd that they had to go undefeated to make the playoffs. Colgate was the first PL team to beat them in 3 years! Eventually the law of averages kick in and you lose! Just a ridiculous standard imo for a team that spent most of the year ranked in the Top 10 and firmly had the bulls-eye on their back for 2+ years.

NY Crusader 2010
April 2nd, 2018, 11:21 PM
Lehigh still deserved an at-large bid in 2012. Their OOC wasn't great (Liberty being only "OK" really hurt) but they went 10-1 and had beaten the MVFC and CAA champs in the playoffs the previous two years. The 2012 team still had Spadola/Kurfis at WR (2 1st team All-Americans), Barkett/Sherman RB combo and a pretty darn good defense. I just find it absurd that they had to go undefeated to make the playoffs. Colgate was the first PL team to beat them in 3 years! Eventually the law of averages kick in and you lose! Just a ridiculous standard imo for a team that spent most of the year ranked in the Top 10 and firmly had the bulls-eye on their back for 2+ years.

I don't disagree with you. That team should have been in. I actually went to the HC-Lehigh game that year, which was an exhilarating finish. Long bomb ti Spadola to go ahead and win the game with about a minute left after HC had led by 2 scores going into the 4th. While the 2012 squad probably wasn't as good as the 2010-2011 editions, the body of work deserved a bid. The "best" team doesn't always win the conference, especially in a league like the PL, due to their only being 6 conference games. One loss to the wrong team is all it takes to cost you the title. Just like Lehigh in 2012, Colgate was that team this year. Would have been a much stronger rep for the PL going into the playoffs than 5-6 Lehigh with no defense. BUT Lehigh won the ONE game that ultimately mattered and got the bid.

downbythebeach
April 3rd, 2018, 11:39 AM
I vote Monmouth from last year. They had just lost by 31 the last week of the regular season and must have fizzled out from a good start to the season. I dont know if they had any injuries or anything....?
I watch some of the UNI Vs. Monmouth game and UNI couldn't have beat them any worse. It was 46-0 in the third quarter and they were just blowing them off the ball.

clenz
April 3rd, 2018, 12:08 PM
I vote Monmouth from last year. They had just lost by 31 the last week of the regular season and must have fizzled out from a good start to the season. I dont know if they had any injuries or anything....?
I watch some of the UNI Vs. Monmouth game and UNI couldn't have beat them any worse. It was 46-0 in the third quarter and they were just blowing them off the ball.
It legit was like watching a high school team play against UNI. Size, speed, play calling (that’s saying something against UNI), etc. were all as por as I’d ever seen from an opponent outside those winless ISUb teams.

katss07
April 3rd, 2018, 12:30 PM
Any of the 6-5 teams that have received a bid in the past few years. Monmouth last year. Any 3rd or 4th place SLC team that gets in. All Pioneer teams except for San Diego the past two years. Every MEAC team since the last time they won a I-AA playoff game in the late 90s.
So Nicholls this year or the SHSU team that advanced in 13?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 3rd, 2018, 01:27 PM

And yet Monmouth ran over and around Patriot Leaguers Lehigh, Lafayette, Holy Cross and Bucknell last season. Lehigh, because of the historically bad defense, was worse than Monmouth last year. So if you vote for Monmouth then it has to be Lehigh.

Monmouth 31 Lafayette 12
Monmouth 46 Lehigh 27
Monmouth 35 Bucknell 13
Monmouth 48 Holy Cross 36

Daytripper
April 3rd, 2018, 04:25 PM
Don't think you should be considered the worst playoff team if you actually win a playoff game.

NY Crusader 2010
April 3rd, 2018, 08:23 PM
Sorry but Monmouth is nowhere close to worst playoff team ever.

They DEFINITELY weren't the worst team in the field in 2018 -- Lehigh, please take your trophy.
They DEFINITELY weren't the second worst in the field -- Monmouth beats Central Connecticut by double digits if they play head to head.
They MIGHT not have been the third worst in the field -- Nicholls was rated lower by Sagarin even after the massacre in Cedar Falls.

The Hawks were overmatched by a Valley team on the road halfway across the country. Blowouts happen, especially when a team becomes demoralized ten minutes into what they immediately realize will be their last game, knowing they can't stop their opponent.

SHSU in 2009 lost to Montana 54-0 in the quarters. Why? Montana is a TOUGH place to play in the postseason, not because a historically bad team was on the field.

NY Crusader 2010
April 3rd, 2018, 08:25 PM
And yet Monmouth ran over and around Patriot Leaguers Lehigh, Lafayette, Holy Cross and Bucknell last season. Lehigh, because of the historically bad defense, was worse than Monmouth last year. So if you vote for Monmouth then it has to be Lehigh.

Monmouth 31 Lafayette 12
Monmouth 46 Lehigh 27
Monmouth 35 Bucknell 13

The Holy Cross game was not as close as the final score indicated. We benefited from converting 40+ yard Hail Mary's both at the end of the first half and end of regulation. Only time I've ever seen or heard of that happening in a game.

CFBfan
April 4th, 2018, 09:14 AM
Both 5-6 PL champs make a strong claim for the title. There have been some very bad MEAC, OVC, Southland, PFL, and Big South teams as well.

a couple of your 1 blowout and out LU teams are certainly worthy of consideration

NY Crusader 2010
April 4th, 2018, 12:36 PM
a couple of your 1 blowout and out LU teams are certainly worthy of consideration

Lehigh's one-and-done team this year probably gets my vote.

I actually don't think Lehigh had ever been blown out in their first playoff game prior to the 2016 debacle against UNH. I don't think Lehigh was THAT bad in '16 (they were actually favored to win the game they lost 64-28) but certainly foreshadowed the total lack of any defense this season.

Lehigh'98
April 4th, 2018, 06:18 PM
Lehigh's one-and-done team this year probably gets my vote.

I actually don't think Lehigh had ever been blown out in their first playoff game prior to the 2016 debacle against UNH. I don't think Lehigh was THAT bad in '16 (they were actually favored to win the game they lost 64-28) but certainly foreshadowed the total lack of any defense this season.

I cannot think of a playoff team that Lehigh 2017 could beat. Maybe Dayton from a few years. Even Lafayette 2013 would have ripped us I think with Reed at his peak. Not sure how many awful MEAC or OVC teams there have been the past decade, maybe we could outscore them. Maybe not.

Go...gate
April 5th, 2018, 12:04 PM

Monmouth 31 Lafayette 12
Monmouth 46 Lehigh 27
Monmouth 35 Bucknell 13

I thought we agreed on another thread that Monmouth was the Patriot League Champion! :D xrotatehx

TennBison
April 5th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Any team that managed to back up into the playoffs with a losing record is the winner of this thread. They should have honor and not taken any spot that was forced to be offered to them and let a better team in that didn't make it but did not enjoy the benefit of an AQ. But that being said, any team that would be the next in line would not have a shot anyway, as it seems like only 8 teams might be able to win during any given year.

Serpentor
April 5th, 2018, 05:02 PM
65-7?

62-10?

51-16?

You should really get your blood pressure under control, those are terrible numbers.

cx500d
April 5th, 2018, 10:10 PM
You should really get your blood pressure under control, those are terrible numbers.

They are....sounds like you might have recognized a couple

Redbird 4th & short
April 5th, 2018, 10:31 PM
eh .. my 2016 ISUr was 6-5 and made playoffs. We traveled to play 9-2 UCA on road .. they were considered a top 12 team. We had them beat for 3 qtrs, until 2 special team mistakes in Q4 (blocked punt returned for TD and then recovered an onside kick on our 40 and kicked FG) .. gave them 10 points, and we lost all moment .. and lost by 7 points.

Back to your post ... Below were grids I created leading up to final regular season game before Selection Committee would make their picks. ISUr had played 11 games and had a bye week, so had to wait for the other bubble teams to play their 11th game. .. I knew we were on bubble and had an extra week to crunch these side by sides. I know .. kind of nuts.

I relied on Massey data to sort and rank each teams schedule by their Opponents-Rank, indicating a Win/Loss, and also included the margin. I color coded the SOS, Margin, and W/L to make it visually easier... green is good/tough, red is bad/weak. I lined up 9 most discussed bubble teams, most sitting on 6-4 records heading into final week.

Now I realize some like to largely dismiss Massey, but it is at least an objective baseline. If you are inclined, note each teams Wins/Losses and Margins .. then compare Opponent-Rank across teams you want to compare.

In my opinion, ISUr deserved their bid if you accept anything close to the Massey's Opponent-Rankings as of that week. In most cases, the other bubble teams padded their wins against many teams ranked well below most of the teams ISUr had to play. And we had more quality wins than any of the bubble teams.

Example 1 ... UNH had 6 wins and 1 loss against teams ranked 200+ in D-I .. ISUr only had one such game against a team ranked 200+ and won easily.

Example 2 ... Weber St had their best win against #133 and padded their 7 wins against 5 teams ranked 200+. ISUr had 3 better wins and again only padded our wins with 1 game against a 200+ team.

Similar situation against all non-MVFC bubble teams .. most non-MVFC teams padded their wins with 5 or 6 wins against teams ranked pretty far down. I thought this was very strong case for taking ISUr at 6-5 over several 7-4 teams.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27380&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27381&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27382&stc=1

Lehigh'98
April 6th, 2018, 06:38 AM
[QUOTE=Redbird 4th & short;2623358]eh .. my 2016 ISUr was 6-5 and made playoffs. We traveled to play 9-2 UCA on road .. they were considered a top 12 team. We had them beat for 3 qtrs, until 2 special team mistakes in Q4 (blocked punt returned for TD and then recovered an onside kick on our 40 and kicked FG) .. gave them 10 points, and we lost all moment .. and lost by 7 points.

Back to your post ... Below were grids I created leading up to final regular season game before Selection Committee would make their picks. ISUr had played 11 games and had a bye week, so had to wait for the other bubble teams to play their 11th game. .. I knew we were on bubble and had an extra week to crunch these side by sides. I know .. kind of nuts.

I relied on Massey data to sort and rank each teams schedule by their Opponents-Rank, indicating a Win/Loss, and also included the margin. I color coded the SOS, Margin, and W/L to make it visually easier... green is good/tough, red is bad/weak. I lined up 9 most discussed bubble teams, most sitting on 6-4 records heading into final week.

Now I realize some like to largely dismiss Massey, but it is at least an objective baseline. If you are inclined, note each teams Wins/Losses and Margins .. then compare Opponent-Rank across teams you want to compare.

In my opinion, ISUr deserved their bid if you accept anything close to the Massey's Opponent-Rankings as of that week. In most cases, the other bubble teams padded their wins against many teams ranked well below most of the teams ISUr had to play. And we had more quality wins than any of the bubble teams.

Example 1 ... UNH had 6 wins and 1 loss against teams ranked 200+ in D-I .. ISUr only had one such game against a team ranked 200+ and won easily.

Example 2 ... Weber St had their best win against #133 and padded their 7 wins against 5 teams ranked 200+. ISUr had 3 better wins and again only padded our wins with 1 game against a 200+ team.

Similar situation against all non-MVFC bubble teams .. most non-MVFC teams padded their wins with 5 or 6 wins against teams ranked pretty far down. I thought this was very strong case for taking ISUr at 6-5 over several 7-4 teams.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27380&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27381&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27382&stc=1[/QUOTE

Seems like a lot of work to prove the MVFC has the best middle of the pack teams.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Redbird 4th & short;2623358]eh .. my 2016 ISUr was 6-5 and made playoffs. We traveled to play 9-2 UCA on road .. they were considered a top 12 team. We had them beat for 3 qtrs, until 2 special team mistakes in Q4 (blocked punt returned for TD and then recovered an onside kick on our 40 and kicked FG) .. gave them 10 points, and we lost all moment .. and lost by 7 points.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27380&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27381&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27382&stc=1[/QUOTE

Seems like a lot of work to prove the MVFC has the best middle of the pack teams.

Redbird 4th & short
April 6th, 2018, 07:13 AM
It was pain in neck .. you can't copy/paste from Massey the way their screens are structured. Though I thought it worked pretty well visually ... {he said, nearly dislocating his shoulder to pat himself on back} xdrunkyx

But it wasn't to prove MVFC has best middle of pack teams .. I think that had already been established for a while. it was to to prove 2016 ISUr earned their at large bid with 6-5 record over most 7-4 teams. Same for WIU in 2015 when they got in at 6-5.

p.s. and there is no way 2016 ISUr or 2015 WIU as 6-5 at large bids would ever be close to worst teams to make playoffs over the 3 or 4 of auto bids bids that don't even deserve playoff consideration each year.

Daytripper
April 6th, 2018, 08:07 AM

cx is back to his pathetic trolling ways.....

Lehigh'98
April 6th, 2018, 08:47 AM
It was pain in neck .. you can't copy/paste from Massey the way their screens are structured. Though I thought it worked pretty well visually ... {he said, nearly dislocating his shoulder to pat himself on back} xdrunkyx

But it wasn't to prove MVFC has best middle of pack teams .. I think that had already been established for a while. it was to to prove 2016 ISUr earned their at large bid with 6-5 record over most 7-4 teams. Same for WIU in 2015 when they got in at 6-5.

p.s. and there is no way 2016 ISUr or 2015 WIU as 6-5 at large bids would ever be close to worst teams to make playoffs over the 3 or 4 of auto bids bids that don't even deserve playoff consideration each year.

I don’t think anyone thinks they are even close. They aren’t comparable to the worst patriot/pioneer/meac.

Redbird 4th & short
April 6th, 2018, 08:58 AM
I don’t think anyone thinks they are even close. They aren’t comparable to the worst patriot/pioneer/meac.

I was responding to RootinforDukes post saying "any of the recent 6-5 teams that got in would qualify for worst playoff teams ever". So I assumed that was eference to 2016 ISUr and 2015 WIU. Most of the sub-standard leagues get auto bids with 8-3 or 9-2 records .. it is very rare the autobids from weak conferences get in at 6-5 or 5-6 .. since they play mostly bad teams.

ST_Lawson
April 6th, 2018, 09:00 AM

Right. We even won our first round game that year, so we weren't even the worst team in the playoffs that season.

TheRevSFA
April 6th, 2018, 09:52 AM
65-7?

62-10?

51-16?

so wouldn’t the teams they beat be worse than them?

KPSUL
April 6th, 2018, 10:25 AM

That is all you really need to say. All the Massey rumination is pointless. It's been well established here that Massey is not even as a good as AGS "Pick-em" results in predicting FCS winners. The Massey and Sagarin methodologies are particularly inaccurate when comparing/ranking FCS teams due largely to the scarcity of inter-conference and inter-regional games played.

Redbird 4th & short
April 6th, 2018, 10:09 PM
That is all you really need to say. All the Massey rumination is pointless. It's been well established here that Massey is not even as a good as AGS "Pick-em" results in predicting FCS winners. The Massey and Sagarin methodologies are particularly inaccurate when comparing/ranking FCS teams due largely to the scarcity of inter-conference and inter-regional games played.

Respectfully disagree .. Massey is far from pointless - not perfect by any means, but just as certainly not pointless.

My reason for relying on Massey is mostly to do with SOS. It is not perfect, but it is objective and was far better than FCS Selection Committee .. who only recently began to acknowledge that SOS should be stronger consideration and also that MVFC has been the top conference since 2011 .. no matter what the FCS selection committee did to screw us, especially in 2011 and 2013.

Massey and Sagarin knew this way sooner and better than FCS selection committee or FCP Polls or STAT polls, or even AGS polls until more recently. As it stands today, the AGS polls seem to best job .. but it took AGS polls until 2014 to catch up this new reality. I know some don't agree with this or get tired of hearing it again .. but it wasn't that long ago and there is still some bias and nonsense that goes on .. hence yet another "announcement" to bring more transparency to FCS selection process.

To remind everyone why I posted what I did .. this thread is about "worst teams to make playoffs". 2016 ISUr was inferred as one of worst teams to make playoffs. So I responded by simply copy/pasting screen print of something I did back in Nov 2016 during a bye week.

Serpentor
April 7th, 2018, 10:42 AM

Considering SHSU made it deep in the playoffs all those years before we self-destructed, wouldn't the teams we beat those years by definition be worse than us?

cx500d
April 7th, 2018, 04:59 PM
Considering SHSU made it deep in the playoffs all those years before we self-destructed, wouldn't the teams we beat those years by definition be worse than us?

Probably, or they self destructed also

cx500d
April 7th, 2018, 05:00 PM

And none of the jack bunnies bit....I was disappointed that I only collected a few bear kitties

KPSUL
April 7th, 2018, 05:55 PM
Respectfully disagree .. Massey is far from pointless - not perfect by any means, but just as certainly not pointless.

My reason for relying on Massey is mostly to do with SOS. It is not perfect, but it is objective and was far better than FCS Selection Committee .. who only recently began to acknowledge that SOS should be stronger consideration and also that MVFC has been the top conference since 2011 .. no matter what the FCS selection committee did to screw us, especially in 2011 and 2013.

Massey and Sagarin knew this way sooner and better than FCS selection committee or FCP Polls or STAT polls, or even AGS polls until more recently. As it stands today, the AGS polls seem to best job .. but it took AGS polls until 2014 to catch up this new reality. I know some don't agree with this or get tired of hearing it again .. but it wasn't that long ago and there is still some bias and nonsense that goes on .. hence yet another "announcement" to bring more transparency to FCS selection process.

To remind everyone why I posted what I did .. this thread is about "worst teams to make playoffs". 2016 ISUr was inferred as one of worst teams to make playoffs. So I responded by simply copy/pasting screen print of something I did back in Nov 2016 during a bye week.

Well, on your central argument I agree with you. The mere fact that ISUr 2016 and WIU 2015 were 6-5 does not indicate they deserve to be in the discussion about the worst teams to ever make the playoffs - they clearly were not.

Redbird 4th & short
April 9th, 2018, 08:46 AM
Well, on your central argument I agree with you. The mere fact that ISUr 2016 and WIU 2015 were 6-5 does not indicate they deserve to be in the discussion about the worst teams to ever make the playoffs - they clearly were not.

fair enough.

p.s. for the record, this would not be the first time I've been accused of using a sledge hammer, when a tack hammer would have done the trick !

Franks Tanks
April 9th, 2018, 09:31 AM
I don't think there's been a unit that has ever been part of the playoffs worse than Lehigh's defense last year. Lehigh was the unusual case of being a preseason Top 20 team, being picked to win the PL/return to the playoffs but ultimately sucked (even though certain goals were met) due to a horrific D. The Mountain Hawk offense had a 1st team All-American RB, an elite WR in Troy Pelletier, a killer #2 WR in Gatlin Casey, a top tier FCS QB in Brad Mayes and a very good OL. But, again, the defense was a complete embarrassment.

2013 Lafayette (5-6) deserves serious consideration
2006 Lafayette (6-5) wasn't very good either

There have been some bad MEAC and PFL teams to make it.

Dude, you need another hobby.

2006 Lafayette should in no way be in this conversation. They were a solid team with a few close losses to Ivy League foes. It was not a great team by any measure, but they were a tough and disciplined squad. They destroyed Lehigh that year and played a respectable game on the road against highly seeded UMASS. The 06 Pards were way better than the 13 Pards and 17 Mountain Hawks.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 9th, 2018, 10:24 AM

2006 Lafayette should in no way be in this conversation. They were a solid team with a few close losses to Ivy League foes. It was not a great team by any measure, but they were a tough and disciplined squad. They destroyed Lehigh that year and played a respectable game on the road against highly seeded UMASS. The 06 Pards were way better than the 13 Pards and 17 Mountain Hawks.

That '06 Lafayette team was pretty bad. Easily ONE OF the worst playoff teams of the last 15-20 years. They suffered a 5 (4 of the losses by double digits) game losing streak during the year. Lafayette needed a 7 point win over 2-9 SHU and 1 point win over Georgetown to avoid a losing record. The Lehigh team they demolished at the end of the year pretty much survived on smoke and mirrors in Coen's first year. Holy Cross had the best overall record in the PL, 7-4, in 2006. Bucknell, Lafayette and Lehigh all finished 6-5.

Lehigh'98
April 10th, 2018, 04:29 AM

Agree they don’t belong in this discussion. Too many close games.