PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Johnson 1954 - 2007

UNHWildCats
February 22nd, 2007, 03:10 PM
Former Celtics player and current coach of the Austin Toros of the NBA Development League has passed away today in Austin, TX

This is a breaking story and not much is available

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/blotter/entries/2007/02/22/austin_toros_coach_dennis_john.html

Mr. C
February 22nd, 2007, 03:20 PM
That hits close to home. I used to watch him play in college at Pepperdine and I had a friend, who played volleyball for Pepperdine that knew Dennis. Always sad to see someone die so young.

griz37
February 22nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
I'll never forget the call by the Celtics play by play guy "And theres a still by Bird, on the baseline to DJ & he lays it in", during one of their playoff runs. That was back when the NBA was watchable. :bawling:

GannonFan
February 22nd, 2007, 03:32 PM
Great player - even if he was a Celtic. Sorry to hear about this, still pretty young.

Also, outside of maybe Otis Nixon, was one of the uglier sports figures ever - when he played for Boston he was far from pretty.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 22nd, 2007, 03:32 PM
I'll never forget the call by the Celtics play by play guy "And theres a still by Bird, on the baseline to DJ & he lays it in", during one of their playoff runs. That was back when the NBA was watchable. :bawling:

If you go to the YouTube link on the Dr. J. thread, you'll see that a video of that steal is posted. And the announcer on that video would be Johnny Most! Many, many great memories of listening to Most back in the era when NBA games weren't usually on TV. BTW, Most was beyond a doubt a huger homer who was detested outside New England.

This starts getting scary when athletes die and they are younger than you! Live life to the fullest!!!

UNHWildCats
February 22nd, 2007, 04:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43DrapEn5QA

Col Hogan
February 22nd, 2007, 06:22 PM
UNHWildCats, thanks for two great memories there. Dennis Johnson, who "only" won two championships with the Celtics, and Johnny Most...who I spent many an hour listening to in my youth. Both are missed!

OB55
February 22nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
Not only a great player, but a class act.

Gil Dobie
February 22nd, 2007, 06:40 PM
As a Laker fan I hated the Celtics, but respected their great players, and DJ was one of the greats on those teams. RIP Dennis.

HIU 93
February 23rd, 2007, 06:59 AM
Sad to see. He was one of the greats.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10015222

Cobblestone
February 23rd, 2007, 09:32 AM
When I heard a news announcement last night that a former Celtic great had died (and nothing to follow) I thought that it might have been Bob Cousy or Bill Russell, given their ages. I was shocked when I later heard it was DJ. He was way too young for this.

The guy was a great player and lived a great life. He didn't get much time but he made the most of what he did get.

Mr. C
February 23rd, 2007, 01:43 PM
With all of this talk about Dennis Johnson, the Boston Celtic, don't forget he won his first title as a member of the Seattle Supersonics and played in two finals with the Sonics. He was a star for the Sonics LONG before he went to the Celtics

Cobblestone
February 23rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
With all of this talk about Dennis Johnson, the Boston Celtic, don't forget he won his first title as a member of the Seattle Supersonics and played in two finals with the Sonics. He was a star for the Sonics LONG before he went to the Celtics

I remember that very well. In fact that was why I was so psyched when he became a Celtic.

R.I.P. DJ