PDA

View Full Version : Combine, Next Step for Montana's Swogger

TexasTerror
February 20th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Swogger is going to get a pretty good shot at making the NFL. Would be nice to see another FCS QB fall in line with the NFL like Tavaris Jackson and Tony Romo. Best of luck, Swogger!

FRITZ NEIGHBOR: Combine is next stop for Swogger
By FRITZ NEIGHBOR of the Missoulian

In many ways Josh Swogger has matched Craig Ochs, the last ballyhooed I-A transfer quarterback who came to the Montana Grizzlies.

Like Ochs in 2004, Swogger quarterbacked the Griz to a perfect record in Big Sky Conference play and deep into the playoffs - UM made the 2006 semifinals for the Division I Football Championship Subdivision, losing to Massachusetts 19-17.

Like Ochs, Swogger earned a berth in the NFL Combine, the yearly scout-fest in Indianapolis, as the drills quarterback.

Then the Washington State transfer did Ochs one better. Swogger played in an all-star game, the first annual Texas vs. The Nation game, that actually kept statistics.

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/02/20/sports/zsports02.txt

Mr. C
February 20th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Why? This guy has a strong arm and some NFL-type size, but he really isn't a very good QB. He was one of the most inaccurate QBs I've seen in a long time. And he also didn't handle pressure very well in the games I saw. There is NO comparison between him and Ochs as far as I'm concerned. Ochs had a great senior year and has continued to develop. I don't ever see Swogger playing that well.

Peems
February 20th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Why? This guy has a strong arm and some NFL-type size, but he really isn't a very good QB. He was one of the most inaccurate QBs I've seen in a long time. And he also didn't handle pressure very well in the games I saw. There is NO comparison between him and Ochs as far as I'm concerned. Ochs had a great senior year and has continued to develop. I don't ever see Swogger playing that well.

I do agree that Swogger is no Ochs and to compare them is unfair. However, I think a lot of his problems come from not knowing the offense that well. Swogger is right about Ochs, Craig struggled a little in his first year not knowing the offense and also being injured(just like swogger), but Swogger will not get that 2nd year so its hard to say...However, i do wish him the best and i enjoyed watching him play, he did have moments...By far the best part of that article, as much as it hurt, was the reference "no picks and no safeties":bawling:

OB55
February 21st, 2007, 11:03 AM
I do agree that Swogger is no Ochs and to compare them is unfair. However, I think a lot of his problems come from not knowing the offense that well. Swogger is right about Ochs, Craig struggled a little in his first year not knowing the offense and also being injured(just like swogger), but Swogger will not get that 2nd year so its hard to say...However, i do wish him the best and i enjoyed watching him play, he did have moments...By far the best part of that article, as much as it hurt, was the reference "no picks and no safeties":bawling:
Why even accept one year wonder transfers? That to me is a sign of weakness, and hardly describes the UM football program. Yes M. Jefferson helped out MSU this year, but MSU is still not UM.

Sorry to get off subject and to repeat myself from another thread here but, UM = 2 NCs, both with home grown QBs recruited as freshmen.:eyebrow:

Peems
February 21st, 2007, 12:30 PM
Why even accept one year wonder transfers? That to me is a sign of weakness, and hardly describes the UM football program. Yes M. Jefferson helped out MSU this year, but MSU is still not UM.

Sorry to get off subject and to repeat myself from another thread here but, UM = 2 NCs, both with home grown QBs recruited as freshmen.:eyebrow:

well we no longer need to worry about the one year wonders as the NCAA got rid of that. While I accept your argument of two home grown QBs and would love nothing more than a Montana QB to take us to the promised land, those squads that won the titles were TEAMS. Edwards was efficient and had a great supporting cast as well as a stellar D. Dickenson is GOD and it wouldnt of mattered where he came from, just makes it more sweet that he was from Great Falls.

OB55
February 21st, 2007, 02:17 PM
well we no longer need to worry about the one year wonders as the NCAA got rid of that. While I accept your argument of two home grown QBs and would love nothing more than a Montana QB to take us to the promised land, those squads that won the titles were TEAMS. Edwards was efficient and had a great supporting cast as well as a stellar D. Dickenson is GOD and it wouldnt of mattered where he came from, just makes it more sweet that he was from Great Falls.
Even sweeter that Leaf was from Great Falls also and is now coaching golf in Texas, while Dickenson is still chucking the pigskin in Canada.xcoffeex

Peems
February 21st, 2007, 03:31 PM
do not mention ryan leaf and montana again...thank you.

OB55
February 21st, 2007, 04:07 PM
do not mention ryan leaf and montana again...thank you.
Fill me in please on the reason for sensitivity, My intent was not to inflame you, and I am a newbie.

Was my post about the" unmentionable" irony over the top?:confused:

mtgrizfan4life
February 24th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Fill me in please on the reason for sensitivity, My intent was not to inflame you, and I am a newbie.

Was my post about the" unmentionable" irony over the top?:confused:

The short story on Leaf and Montana. In a nutshell he disowned the state with some very critical remarks of the state. He upset and disappointed many many here. For me, it is water under the bridge and chalk it up to being young then. For many though, he will never be forgiven.

Feel free to update yourself at egriz.com and search "leaf" for all the posts there.