PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Winter Olympics

Smitty
February 8th, 2018, 08:13 AM
I'm sure the Winter Olympics are not as popular as the Summer Olympics, but man I do love them. The opening ceremony is Friday (2/9) at 6am ET, but will be rebroadcasted later that night. Curling, alpine skiing and ski jumping are activities happening today.

Bisonator
February 8th, 2018, 09:22 AM
I like the Olympics but the time change really screws it up. With modern technology everybody knows what happened before it's televised. Takes a lot of the luster out of it IMO.

Laker
February 8th, 2018, 09:40 AM
I was watching curling this morning. Interesting strategy to the whole thing. South Koreans were way behind China, then should have won but blew their last shot. Seems like a lot of team coaches are from Canada.

Winterborn
February 8th, 2018, 10:57 AM
I prefer the Winter Olympics over the summer. Winter sports are more interesting I find, especially the biathlon. Hopefully work will have the events on the TV screens around the office this time around.

Drblankstare
February 8th, 2018, 06:43 PM
I always seem to like the Winter Olympics more than the Summer games for some reason.

Must be the curling, which is probably a hell of a lot harder than it looks.

Bisonoline
February 8th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Johnny Wier?????? JFC xrolleyesxxflaggedx

cx500d
February 8th, 2018, 07:25 PM
Johnny Wierd?????? JFC xrolleyesxxflaggedx

Fyp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
February 8th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Fyp

I stand corrected.

OhioHen
February 9th, 2018, 06:55 AM
I prefer the Winter Olympics over the summer. Winter sports are more interesting I find, especially the biathlon. Hopefully work will have the events on the TV screens around the office this time around.

Biathlon - the only sport without a medal for USA.

TTUEagles
February 9th, 2018, 07:41 AM
I'd like the winter Olympics more if the NHL players were playing hockey for their respective countries.

Smitty
February 9th, 2018, 08:07 AM
I'd like the winter Olympics more if the NHL players were playing hockey for their respective countries.

Wasn't that the NHL's fault though?

Laker
February 9th, 2018, 11:22 AM
They should have some real winter contests- like throwing snowballs, shoveling snow, and driving on ice.

JSUSoutherner
February 9th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Don’t care. Not watching. The IOC is a scam.

Smitty
February 9th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Well bobsledding kind of qualifies, it even comes with the annoyance of back seat drivers

Winterborn
February 9th, 2018, 12:38 PM
I always seem to like the Winter Olympics more than the Summer games for some reason.

I also like the Winter ones better than the summer. My favorite events are the luge, skeleton, and biathlon. As for curling, it ain't easy. Tried it once and all I can say is more speed is not the answer. xwhistlex

BisonBacker
February 9th, 2018, 12:53 PM
How pathetic is this????

Shani Davis says U.S. flagbearer decision done 'dishonorably' off a coin toss

How is a coin toss dishonorable? I guess when you lose it. Sounds like a crybaby bitch to me.

Story here (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/international/ct-shani-davis-tweet-opening-ceremony-20180208-story.html)

NHwildEcat
February 9th, 2018, 12:57 PM
I love the curling too...I can watch it for hours on end.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 9th, 2018, 01:11 PM
I always think I don't care about these things too much and then when/if I start watching them I'm completely in so I think I'm wrong about not caring. I find that with either the winter or summer Olympics but I do like Winter better I think.

Twentysix
February 10th, 2018, 12:24 PM
I like the Olympics but the time change really screws it up. With modern technology everybody knows what happened before it's televised. Takes a lot of the luster out of it IMO.Literally every event if available live if you own a cellphone or a computer.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Twentysix
February 10th, 2018, 12:27 PM
I looked up aggregate medal counts and they are insane. The US has a thousand more medals than the #2 country.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 10th, 2018, 07:23 PM
I looked up aggregate medal counts and they are insane. The US has a thousand more medals than the #2 country.

Wow. Who is 2?

Bisonoline
February 10th, 2018, 08:44 PM
Anyone see the snowboarder who was wearing his pants below his ass? JFC???

Bisonoline
February 10th, 2018, 08:59 PM
Announcer said one of the snowboarders was having a problem because the snow was cold.

AshevilleApp2
February 11th, 2018, 08:38 AM

Aggregate yes. But Norway leads in the winter games.

AshevilleApp2
February 11th, 2018, 08:41 AM
Wow. Who is 2?

Soviet Union/Russia/Unified Team

Gil Dobie
February 11th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Soviet Union/Russia/Unified Team

Will the Olympic Athletes from Russia medals count towards Russia?

caribbeanhen
February 11th, 2018, 11:42 AM
Anyone remember Franz Klammer?

AshevilleApp2
February 11th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Anyone remember Franz Klammer?

Yah!

caribbeanhen
February 11th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Yah!

1976 downhill Austria. One for the ages

dewey
February 11th, 2018, 08:16 PM
I watched the skiatathlon (30 km) and Krueger (Norway) fell in the fist 100 meters and was 36 seconds behind the leaders but came back to win the gold by 20 seconds. Team Norway went Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Very impressive.

Dewey

Laker
February 12th, 2018, 11:14 AM
They interviewed the Olympian from Tonga this morning. He talked about how difficult it was to train for cross country skiing without snow............

Bisonoline
February 12th, 2018, 11:21 AM
So WTF is going on with North Korea and South Korea? Why is the south bending over for the north?

Bisonoline
February 12th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Curling has been fun to watch.

Smitty
February 12th, 2018, 12:53 PM
So WTF is going on with North Korea and South Korea? Why is the south bending over for the north?

Trying to be a good host more than likely.

Lets try not to make this a political thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, maybe it is because I only get to see it every 4 years

Bisonoline
February 12th, 2018, 02:58 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, maybe it is because I only get to see it every 4 years

May be you haven't been aware but the Olympics is all about politics. And has been for some time.

POD Knows
February 12th, 2018, 03:17 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, maybe it is because I only get to see it every 4 yearsYea, we need to create another thread about how the US MSM creamed their freaking drawers over the sister of this scum bag in charge in NK.

Winterborn
February 12th, 2018, 05:16 PM

Canada has my vote! Kaitlyn Lawes is not hard to look at.

The men's biathlon has also been very good. Germany has been on fire.

Laker
February 12th, 2018, 11:31 PM
Canada has my vote! Kaitlyn Lawes is not hard to look at.

The men's biathlon has also been very good. Germany has been on fire.

I'm with you. The Russian woman in coed curling is nice looking too.

Bisonoline
February 13th, 2018, 12:17 AM
I'm with you. The Russian woman in coed curling is nice looking too.

Norway chick wasnt hard to look at either.

Smitty
February 13th, 2018, 08:56 AM
https://i.imgur.com/h3CeaoM.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Gah stupid size...

Winterborn
February 13th, 2018, 12:49 PM
Speaking of ice chutes of death. Glad she is ok.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/emily-sweeney-crashes-final-run-reportedly-says-she-fine

POD Knows
February 13th, 2018, 01:22 PM
Speaking of ice chutes of death. Glad she is ok.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/emily-sweeney-crashes-final-run-reportedly-says-she-fineHoly crap, that looked really bad.

JayJ79
February 13th, 2018, 02:35 PM

I haven't really been following. how is the south "bending over"?

Bisonoline
February 17th, 2018, 09:57 PM
JFC that Rippon guy is an idiot.

dgtw
February 19th, 2018, 09:49 AM
I actually like the Winter games better than the Summer version. Don’t care for figure skating, but everything else is pretty cool to watch. I agree a lot of them are ones where it looks like you could get killed. The Summer games don’t have that as much.

TheKingpin28
February 20th, 2018, 11:02 AM
Donato looks legit. Kid showed up big last night as he has all season at Harvard as well as last season. Let's see if he can do it again against the Czech Republic tonight.

walliver
February 21st, 2018, 03:24 PM
I'm more of a Summer Games fan. The modern Winter Games look like a fancified version of the old X-Games (back when ESPN showed sporting events). For the more traditional events, the athletes are so evenly matched that it is hard to find a favorite.

I have watched most nights, but find it hard to get excited about most of the events.

BisonTru
February 21st, 2018, 09:43 PM
The US curling team is in the playoffs. Schuster looked awful at the beginning of the Olympics, but he's been on fire for the last three matches. If he keeps throwing like this, the US will medal and could pull off the gold.

grizband
February 22nd, 2018, 01:33 AM
USA women's hockey wins gold!! First time in 20 years, after 3 silver medals and one bronze in that span.

Laker
February 22nd, 2018, 08:20 AM
USA women's hockey wins gold!! First time in 20 years, after 3 silver medals and one bronze in that span.

USA beats Canada twice in the same day- hockey and curling. Good day, eh?

POD Knows
February 22nd, 2018, 08:46 AM
USA women's hockey wins gold!! First time in 20 years, after 3 silver medals and one bronze in that span.Is this game going to replayed anywhere, I missed most of it last night

JayJ79
February 22nd, 2018, 09:51 AM
Is this game going to replayed anywhere, I missed most of it last night
looks like they will replay the game on NBCSN today (Thurs. 2/22) at 3:45 pm CST
update: possibly starting at 3pm CST

JayJ79
February 22nd, 2018, 10:03 AM
looks like they will replay the game on NBCSN today (Thurs. 2/22) at 3:45 pm CST
That was what was listed on the NBC website and on my on-screen cable guide.

But now I just saw a promo on NBCSN itself that said they would be replaying the Womens Hockey Gold Medal match starting at 4pm eastern, which would be 3pm central.

Gil Dobie
February 22nd, 2018, 01:58 PM
Heard on the radio this morning that former Minnesota Vikings player, Jared Allen, is looking into Curling and may try and get into the 2022 Olympics.

cx500d
February 22nd, 2018, 04:57 PM
Heard on the radio this morning that former Minnesota Vikings player, Jared Allen, is looking into Curling and may try and get into the 2022 Olympics.

Hope he’s done juicing

JayJ79
February 22nd, 2018, 07:57 PM
I don't get how doping would help one in a curling competition. But maybe I just don't understand curling (or doping) enough. (not directed at Allen, but at the Russian curler who got busted for doping)

Bisonoline
February 22nd, 2018, 08:08 PM
I don't get how doping would help one in a curling competition. But maybe I just don't understand curling (or doping) enough. (not directed at Allen, but at the Russian curler who got busted for doping)

Drugs can jack you, they can calm you, they can increase concentration etc etc etc

Laker
February 22nd, 2018, 08:22 PM

After seeing his curling partner wife, I might need something to calm down!

BisonTru
February 22nd, 2018, 10:55 PM

It doesn't. Most these guys would have a beer parked mid sheet if it wasn't the Olympics. Rules are rules though and you better piss clean.

BisonTru
February 24th, 2018, 03:57 AM
USA takes the gold in curling!

They started 2-4 in round robin play and had to win out to make the playoffs.

Big 5 point 8th end took down Sweden who came in ranked 1 in the world.

Gil Dobie
February 26th, 2018, 08:58 AM
My top 3 hightlights from the games
1. Jesse Diggins dash for Gold
2. USA Curling
3. USA Women's Hockey