PDA

View Full Version : Bracketbuster

Appstate29
February 16th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Winthrop Vs. MO State. Winthrop is up by 15.

crunifan
February 16th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Missouri State chokes again. *enter fire Barry thread*

Winthrop shot lights out from the 3. Good game from them.

Hopefully UNI can stay will Nevada tomorrow...

Ivytalk
February 16th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Delaware v. Iona tomorrrow. SOMEBODY has to win this game!:nod: :p

Go...gate
February 17th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Colgate at Marist (7:30).

Coastal89
February 17th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Coastal beat Canisius 83-66 today.

FlyYtown
February 17th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Youngstown State Beat I-AA foe Eastern Kentucky by the final score: 66-61.

EKU had won 7 in a row, but the Horizon League is FAR Better than the OVC.
YSU improves to 12-15 on the year!

TexasTerror
February 17th, 2007, 07:27 PM
SHSU has Fresno St at 9 PM CST tonight...

They have a fan base that doesn't think too highly of the matchup and think we're actually hurting their RPI, when we're higher in RPI than they are...

grizband
February 18th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Pacific beat Montana this afternoon 78-77.

In other Big Sky Bracket Buster action:
Cal Poly beat Portland State 92-87
Eastern Washington beat UC Santa Barbara 71-70
Northern Arizona beat San Jose State 78-67

Mr. C
February 18th, 2007, 03:59 AM
SHSU has Fresno St at 9 PM CST tonight...

They have a fan base that doesn't think too highly of the matchup and think we're actually hurting their RPI, when we're higher in RPI than they are...
We've blown so many games on the road with inconsistent offense this season, it really doesn't matter what our RPI is (read it is in the low 100s today). I had the chance to cover a bracket buster at Fresno State two years ago when the Bulldogs lost a great game to Buffalo. I also got to cover one of those return games when Fresno State traveled to East Tennessee State in 2004.

Fresno State beat Sam Houston State 78-60 behind 27 points from Eddie Miller. The Bulldogs won without our top player, JaVance Coleman.

Henwatcher
February 18th, 2007, 07:02 AM
In a season full of some of the worst Div. 1 basketball my eyes have ever seen, last night's Iona-UD game put the icing on the cake. Thankfully, it didn't go into overtime. One spectator told me after the game "that was worse than watching paint dry." The NCAA should do away with bracketbuster games involving teams with 20 or more losses. To match 2 teams up that are that bad does nothing for the sport. Enough said.

th0m
February 18th, 2007, 07:14 AM
I couldn't agree more. JMU - Siena wasn't a whole lot better...

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Fresno State beat Sam Houston State 78-60 behind 27 points from Eddie Miller. The Bulldogs won without our top player, JaVance Coleman.

Kats could not make their shots. They're very much a 3 pt shooting team and when they shoot 27% from beyond the arc and 26% overall, I don't think they can beat any team in Division I...

Tough loss, Kats will have to try to beat them next year in Huntsville...

Mr. C
February 18th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Fresno State's Save Mart Center is a pretty tough place to play. We don't lose there very often, though it's not the same advantage we had at our old, downtown facility Selland Arena (it was one of the toughest places to play in the country and was VERY loud. We went from a 10,700-seat venue to a 16,000-plus arena and traded our blue-collar fans for the wine and cheese crowd at the pricey new digs). It will be interesting to see how we do at Sam Houston State next year. The one good thing about the bracker buster is it brings a quality road opponent in the following season, usually someone you wouldn't normally see. I'll enjoy seeing Wichita State at Appalachian State next season.

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2007, 10:18 AM
It will be interesting to see how we do at Sam Houston State next year. The one good thing about the bracker buster is it brings a quality road opponent in the following season, usually someone you wouldn't normally see. I'll enjoy seeing Wichita State at Appalachian State next season.

Next year will be interesting. I'm not sure how SHSU will fare. We have two returning starters, plus a legitimate third (started last year and was all-SLC tournament) who sat out all this year due to a medical redshirt.

SHSU has the 3rd longest OOC home win streak in the nation. Kats are 37-5 over the last few years at home actually with three of those losses coming to McNeese State.

Next year's home slate will include UC-Irvine, Fresno St and Texas Tech. Kats will be hard-pressed to win two of the three games. The home streak may very well fall, but atleast the home schedule continues to be upgraded (Loyola Marymount and Wisconsin-Milwaukee this past year, Southern Miss and Alcorn St, the previous year) from a school that had difficulties getting any Div I foes to come OOC...

crunifan
February 18th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I can't wait to get revenge on Nevada at the McLeod Center next year. UNI should be better and Nevada should be worse...PERFECT!

FlyYtown
February 18th, 2007, 11:03 PM
BracketBuster BEST League!
Horizon League
7-2 Record on Saturday

GO PENGUINS!

crunifan
February 19th, 2007, 01:42 PM
And who were those two losses to? ;)

TexasTerror
February 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
BracketBuster BEST League!
Horizon League
7-2 Record on Saturday

GO PENGUINS!

Co-Best League...

Conference W L Pct.
WAC 7 2 .778
Horizon 7 2 .778
MAAC 6 4 .600
MAC 6 6 .500
Missouri Valley 5 5 .500
Colonial Athletic 5 7 .417
Southern 3 1 .750
Big West 3 5 .375
Ohio Valley 3 8 .273
Big South 2 1 .667
Big Sky 2 2 .500
West Coast 1 0 1.000
Patriot 1 2 .333
America East 0 2 .000
Mid-Continent 0 2 .000
Southland 0 2 .000

If you talk about the more important, TV games...

WAC 4 0 1.000
Big South 1 0 1.000
Southern 1 0 1.000
Colonial Athletic 3 2 .600
MAC 2 2 .500
Horizon 1 1 .500
Missouri Valley 2 4 .333
America East 0 1 .000
Big West 0 1 .000
Mid-Continent 0 1 .000
Ohio Valley 0 1 .000
Patriot 0 1 .000

Mr. C
February 19th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I can't wait to get revenge on Nevada at the McLeod Center next year. UNI should be better and Nevada should be worse...PERFECT!
Without Nick Fazekas next year, Nevada really becomes a mediocre team in my view. I can't wait for my Fresno State guys to take on the Wolfpack minus Fazekas next season. We've had too many narrow losses to those guys.

P.S. Why has Northern Iowa struggled so much this season? I was expecting bigger things from the Panthers.

Fresno St. Alum
February 19th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Mr. C, Javance was good last year, he was horrible this year. He wasn't a real loss. Good for us winning. I went to the bracketbuster the year ETSU beat us by 20.

Mr. C
February 19th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Would like to know the real story to why Coleman was kicked off the team. No matter how he was shooting, he was the most talented player on the team and was still capable of making shots in the clutch (i.e. his performance in beating Idaho in his last game. I thought the Fresno Bee did a TERRIBLE job of covering this incident. I covered five FSU games in 2004-05 and got to know JaVance a bit. I was sad to see him leave and wonder what is going on with the program again.

Fresno St. Alum
February 20th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Nothing bad is going to happen. If we kept him on then we might have got in trouble again but who knows. The Bee loves us when we are good and hate us when we are bad,ok, and above average.

appfan2008
February 20th, 2007, 10:30 AM
app state looked great against wichita...
mvc sure didnt show up....
not as good as people think

Peems
February 20th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Without Nick Fazekas next year, Nevada really becomes a mediocre team in my view. I can't wait for my Fresno State guys to take on the Wolfpack minus Fazekas next season. We've had too many narrow losses to those guys.

P.S. Why has Northern Iowa struggled so much this season? I was expecting bigger things from the Panthers.

Fazekas not that big deal, ask the griz;)

Mr. C
February 20th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Fazekas is the best player in the WAC and will be a first-round NBA draft choice. I know you shut him down in the NCAA tourney last year, but that was just one game. He has been a four-year headache for WAC opponents. Nevada loses four seniors after this season, so they have some rebuilding to do. The Wolfpack won't be the Alpha Dog in the WAC next season.

Mr. C
February 20th, 2007, 12:57 PM
app state looked great against wichita...
mvc sure didnt show up....
not as good as people think
That was a very well played game by both teams (though ASU's defense held down WSU's shooting percentage to the 30 range). It was also a game that could have easily gone either way. It was one of the more entertaining games to watch last weekend and the Mountaineers should be proud of their win, but putting it in perspective, it was against a middle of the pack MVC team. Southern Illinois definitely showed up and will be a factor in the tourney. I think the MVC schools have mostly been beating up on each other, though it is true the league isn't as strong as it was last season.

crunifan
February 20th, 2007, 02:47 PM
UNI has struggled because half way through the season we for some reason can't seem to make a wide open three to save our life. Our shooting percentage behind the arc is often below 20%.

But, I think people need to think about how hard the MVC's Bracket Buster schedule was.

SIU beat #13 Butler
Creighton lost to Drexel
Missouri State lost to Big South leader Winthrop
Bradley beat CAA leader VCU
Wichita State lost to Southern leader Appalachian State
UNI lost to WAC leader Nevada
Evansville beat Samford on the road
Drake beat UW-Milwaukee

So, you will see that conference leaders were paired up with middle of the pack MVC teams and we still stood our own. If we played some of the patsys the other conferences got, of course we would have done better.

siugrad99
February 21st, 2007, 08:10 AM
Anytime Appy State wants to come to Carbondale to see what it's like to play the best in the Valley just let us know ;) Football on the other hand SIU knows who's better (Appy State) :)

Mr. C
February 21st, 2007, 08:23 AM
I'd love to see a Southern Illinois-Appalachian State home and home in basketball. I've been aware of Saluki basketball since a young fellow named Walt Frazier showed up in Carbondale and led Southern Illinois to an NIT victory over a very talented Marquette team. Frazier and his backcourt mate Dick Garrett both made it to the NBA and played against each other in the 1970 NBA Finals. Marquette's team was the one that Al McGuire pulled out of the NCAA tournament (causing a rule change that a school couldn't do that in the future), because he thought the Warriors got hosed on their seed.

crunifan
February 21st, 2007, 01:24 PM
Well, UNI decided to get their three point shooting back in their win over Bradley.

If all goes right on Saturday, UNI can pop into 4th place!

griz37
February 21st, 2007, 01:28 PM
Well, UNI decided to get their three point shooting back in their win over Bradley.

If all goes right on Saturday, UNI can pop into 4th place!

Probably knocked Bradley out of contention for an at-large bid.

crunifan
February 21st, 2007, 06:43 PM
Probably knocked Bradley out of contention for an at-large bid.

Yeah, that is the downside.

I'm hoping that this sparks the energy again and gets UNI to win the MVC tournament in St. Louis so we get the autobid. And then I couldn't care less about Bradley. But, Bradley would have represented us well otherwise...