5. Rick Barry

SunCoastBlueHen
February 16th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
Dr. J.
Michael Jordan
Clyde Drexler

I haven't followed the NBA since the days when these guys played. It is a different league today and a different breed of players. :twocents:

February 16th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson
Bill Russell
Julius Irving
Wilt Chamberlin

What a squad that would be!

MR. CHICKEN
February 16th, 2007, 08:45 PM
AH'M GOIN' WHIFF:

RODMAN
IVERSON
SPREEWELL
JAYSON WILLIAMS
TAMMY RIVERA

DESE DIAPERAH DANDIES...COULD BEAT ANY PRISON TEAM...IN DUH COUNTRY...:nod:....WOULDN'T HAVE UH CHANCE.....AGIN'....TEAM YUGOSLAVIA...DOUGH....: smh :....BRAWK!

PS.......GNARLS BARKLEY.....6th MAN.....:eek:......AWK!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 16th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Michael Jordan
Charles Barkley
Allen Iverson
Hakeem Olajuwon
Michael Finley

B&G
February 16th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Bill Laimbeer
Scott Skiles
David Robinson
Shaq
Charles Barkley

BlueHen86
February 16th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Michael Jordan - greatest player I ever saw.
Mo Cheeks - I wish every athlete was like him, played hard, played well, wasn't a jerk. A real pro and gentleman.
Bill Laimbeer - loved the way he played.
Dennis Rodman - greatest rebounder I ever saw. He studied player tendancies and learned how to position himself for their misses.
Bobby Jones - greatest defender I saw.

seantaylor
February 17th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Pete Maravich
Bernard King
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Kevin Garnett

poly51
February 17th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Jerry West
Elgin Baylor
Kurt Rambis
Magic Johnson
Kareem
Gail Goodrich

Other teams:
Larry Bird
Bill Russell
Michael Jordan

Mr. C
February 17th, 2007, 02:17 AM
G Walt Frazier (Clyde was my man growing up. Great defender, passer and clutch shooter. Nobody had more style).
G Oscar Robertson (how many guys average triple doubles for a season?).
C Wilt Chamberlain (the greatest of all-time. How many guys average over 50 points per game for a season?).
F Julius Erving (particularly in his ABA days, folks who only saw him with the Phildelphia 76ers have no clue how good he was).
F Connie Hawkins (a forgotten legend. The Dr. J before there was a Dr. J. If only people had seen him in his prime).

Mr. C
February 17th, 2007, 02:22 AM
AH'M GOIN' WHIFF:

RODMAN
IVERSON
SPREEWELL
JAYSON WILLIAMS
TAMMY RIVERA

DESE DIAPERAH DANDIES...COULD BEAT ANY PRISON TEAM...IN DUH COUNTRY...:nod:....WOULDN'T HAVE UH CHANCE.....AGIN'....TEAM YUGOSLAVIA...DOUGH....: smh :....BRAWK!

PS.......GNARLS BARKLEY.....6th MAN.....:eek:......AWK!
Talk about dysfunctional. Hope this team has Dr. Phil and Dr. Joyce Brouthers on the bench (and maybe Dr. Ruth, too). This team is for the birds. Oh, that's right, you are a bird.

BlueHen86
February 17th, 2007, 06:43 AM
G Walt Frazier (Clyde was my man growing up. Great defender, passer and clutch shooter. Nobody had more style).
G Oscar Robertson (how many guys average triple doubles for a season?).
C Wilt Chamberlain (the greatest of all-time. How many guys average over 50 points per game for a season?).
F Julius Erving (particularly in his ABA days, folks who only saw him with the Phildelphia 76ers have no clue how good he was).
F Connie Hawkins (a forgotten legend. The Dr. J before there was a Dr. J. If only people had seen him in his prime).
I remember a Saturday Night Live skit where musician Paul Simon plays Connie Hawkins at basketball. I think it was from the first season. As I recall, Simon won and it was very funny.

Col Hogan
February 17th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I remember a Saturday Night Live skit where musician Paul Simon plays Connie Hawkins at basketball. I think it was from the first season. As I recall, Simon won and it was very funny.

Good memory. Second show of the first season. I got the DVD for Christmas, and it brought back lots of memories.

Onto the 5 Favorite NBA Players:

Heavy on the Celtics of the Championship Years

John Havlicek
Larry Bird
Bill Russell
Julius Erving (UMass)
Bob Cousey

Lots more from the glory years. Watching the Celtics was the only reason I could stay up late on a school night...

Now...:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

mistersykes
February 17th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Pete Maravich (he and his dad Press used to go hang out at my grandad's house, really good friends)
Reggie Miller
Michael Jordan
Charles Barkley (I was a suns fan growing up, still am actually)
Tim Duncan

GoldandBlack
February 17th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Jerry West
Bill Russell
Bob Cousy
Dr. J
Michael Jordan

JALMOND
February 17th, 2007, 01:46 PM
My five favorite NBA players of all time...

Wilt Chamberlain
Bill Russell
George Mikan
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
John Stockton

That said, my dream team of all time...

PG---John Stockton
SG---Oscar Robertson
SF---Larry Bird
PF---Earl Monroe
C---Wilt Chamberlain

Bench---Bill Russell, Magic Johnson, Walt Frazier, Bob Cousy, David Thompson, George Gervin, Michael Jordan

Col Hogan
February 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Wilt Chamberlain
Bill Russell
George Mikan
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
John Stockton

PG---John Stockton
SG---Oscar Robertson
SF---Larry Bird
PF---Earl Monroe
C---Wilt Chamberlain

Bench---Bill Russell, Magic Johnson, Walt Frazier, Bob Cousy, David Thompson, George Gervin, Michael Jordan

All in all, that would be one unbeatable team!

Go...gate
February 17th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Larry Bird
Jerry West
John Havlicek
Julius Erving
Bill Russell
BONUS PICK: The 1968-69 through 1973-74 NY Knicks

Cobblestone
February 18th, 2007, 07:55 AM
1. David Robinson
2. Dave Cowens
3. Larry Bird
4. Michael Jordan
5. Lebron James

bulldog10jw
February 18th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Bill Russell
John Havlicek(Havlicek stole the ball)
Larry Bird
Sam Jones
Dave Cowans

obvious Celtic fan. We only have memories, now.

bulldog10jw
February 18th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Wilt Chamberlain
Bill Russell
George Mikan
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
John Stockton

PG---John Stockton
SG---Oscar Robertson
SF---Larry Bird
PF---Earl Monroe
C---Wilt Chamberlain

Wasn't Earl the Pearl a guard?

AZGrizFan
February 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Michael Jordan - greatest player I ever saw.
Mo Cheeks - I wish every athlete was like him, played hard, played well, wasn't a jerk. A real pro and gentleman.
Bill Laimbeer - loved the way he played.
Dennis Rodman - greatest rebounder I ever saw. He studied player tendancies and learned how to position himself for their misses.
Bobby Jones - greatest defender I saw.

Cost Larry Krystkowiack his professional career. I've never forgiven him for that.

Mr. C
February 18th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Wasn't Earl the Pearl a guard?
Earl "The Pearl" Monroe was part of the Rolls Royce backcourt with Walt Frazier in New York (he played earlier with the Baltimore Bullets). What a great player. I used to try (laughingly so) to do Pearl's spin move when I was a kid. I have had a chance to spend some time at Winston-Salem State and if I could time waro, I'd go back to 1968 and the Clarence "Big House" Gaines Center to watch Monroe lead the Rams to that NCAA Division II title.

Monroe and Pete Maravich were two of the most innovative players ever.

Mr. C
February 18th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Cost Larry Krystkowiack his professional career. I've never forgiven him for that.
I hated Laimbeer from the moment I laid eyes on him at Notre Dame (that was one of the most ANNOYING teams in college basketball history, Digger Phelps crybabying as a coach, Kelly Tripucka, "Lame Beer" etc.).

I had a chance to see Krystkowiack play in person when he was in college. What a special player he was.

JoltinJoe
February 18th, 2007, 01:35 PM

A forgotten legend? You mean the guy who lost to Paul Simon in a nationally televised one-on-one matchup?;)

BTW, the game was played at Fordham's Rose Hill Gymnasium.

Go...gate
February 18th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I hated Laimbeer from the moment I laid eyes on him at Notre Dame (that was one of the most ANNOYING teams in college basketball history, Digger Phelps crybabying as a coach, Kelly Tripucka, "Lame Beer" etc.).

I had a chance to see Krystkowiack play in person when he was in college. What a special player he was.

Not to mention one of the most underachieving. I love ND basketball but Phelps cruised too much on those kids. From '73 -'81, ND had the best players in the country but always found a way to lose.

BlueHen86
February 18th, 2007, 08:38 PM
In all honesty I am not aware of this. What happened?
I'm going to guess - he elbowed him in the face?

I will look this up later, to lazy right now.

Ivytalk
February 18th, 2007, 10:08 PM
The starting 5 of the champion '66-'67 76ers: Wilt Chamberlain in the middle, Luke Jackson and Chet Walker at the forwards, Hal Greer and Wally Jones at guard. And don't forget sixth man Billy Cunningham!

BEAR
February 18th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Larry Bird- floor general, sharp shooter, stats to back it up, He was a real ball player. Master of the quarter inch.
Kareem- Nothing fancy. True center. Loved watching the hook from the baseline. Devastating.
Bill Russell- all around baller. Got to be in the top 5 of all time.
Jordan- Not a fan of his, but he got game. His 'sick" game in the playoffs defined who he was with me. Heart baby, pure heart!
Pippen- UCA grad and all around good baller. Defense and some offense to boot. Part of the famous 90s Pippen/Jordan championship runs. Attitude sucks though.
Mugsy Bogues- Because he was 5' something and could dunk that rock!
.......yeah, that's six...but the 80s were full of character...real ballers that resembled the game of yesterday...not like todays ball hogs who wouldn't know what a team effort is all about...save the Pistons from a couple of years ago...:hurray:

Mr. C
February 18th, 2007, 10:16 PM
That 76ers group was a great team. Few people realize how long some of their records lasted. Their championship also put an end to the stupid talk that Chamberlain couldn't win a championship.

Gil Dobie
February 18th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Kareem
Wilt the Stilt
Russell
Big O
Dr J

NE MT GRIZZ
February 19th, 2007, 09:09 AM
1. Magic
2. Dominique Wilkins
3. John Stockton
4. Dr. J
5. Kareem

spelunker64
February 19th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Name 5 current players, don't think I could

Cobblestone
February 19th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Bill Russell
John Havlicek(Havlicek stole the ball)
Larry Bird
Sam Jones
Dave Cowans

obvious Celtic fan. We only have memories, now.

True :bawling: Hopefully that losing streak will be a memory that fades quickly.

VT Wildcat Fan53
February 19th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Larry Bird
Dr J
Bill Bradley
Willis Reed
Big O

GeauxLions94
February 19th, 2007, 01:55 PM
1. Julius Erving
2. Pete Maravich
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. John Stockton

and from the current group ...Steve Nash

Eyes of Old Main
February 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Off the top of my head, and in no particular order:

Dirk Nowitzki
Charles Barkley
Danny Ainge
Larry Bird
Dominique Wilkins

Honorable Mentions:

David Robinson
Clyde Drexler
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
David Thompson
Julius Erving

Eyes of Old Main
February 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Mugsy Bogues- Because he was 5' something and could dunk that rock!

I think you are thinking of Spud Webb who won the dunk contest one year.

I don't remember Muggsy ever competing in the dunk contest or dunking in games for that matter.

BEAR
February 19th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I think you are thinking of Spud Webb who won the dunk contest one year.

I don't remember Muggsy ever competing in the dunk contest or dunking in games for that matter.

...you are correct...Webb was the man. Bogues was the guy who balled with Manute Bol....the 100 lb. 7'7" ethiopian. Freak show...Ha. My memory is all jumbled up for that time period...guess I had better take my medication..:smiley_wi :nod: xlolx

Hammerhead
February 19th, 2007, 10:10 PM
My favorites - not necessarily the best ever.

Arvydas Sabonis -- I would have loved to see him at his prime against Shaq
Magic Johnson
Dr. J.
Mike Jordan
Kareem -- loved that skyhook.

ChickenMan
February 20th, 2007, 07:41 AM
1.. Wilt Chamberlain
2.. Michael Jordan
3.. Larry Bird
4.. Magic Johnson
5.. Oscar Robertson

bandl
February 20th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Haven't been a fan of the NBA in years, but...I have to say it's been difficult to ignore Gilbert Arenas around here in Bullets country....so....in no particular order...

Gilbert Arenas
Michael Jordan (with the Bulls, not the Bullets)
Dennis Rodman
Steve Nash
Magic Johnson

Peems
February 20th, 2007, 10:25 AM
1.MJ
2. Magic
3. Wilt
4. Stockton
5. Jason Richardson/A.I.

JALMOND
February 20th, 2007, 12:18 PM
My favorites - not necessarily the best ever.

Arvydas Sabonis -- I would have loved to see him at his prime against Shaq
Magic Johnson
Dr. J.
Mike Jordan
Kareem -- loved that skyhook.

Sabonis was one of the great world players. I can remember reading about him in a 1986 article in SI that said "A player who can shoot like Bird, pass like Magic and dunk like Michael. Oh, and he's 7-3 and plays in the Soviet Union." Even past his prime, he was a real gem. The Blazers were able to play Shaq and the Lakers straight up when Sabonis played. I can't remember Shaq ever getting the upper hand on Sabas, even past Sabas' prime years. At the end, Shaq and Phil both wanted Sabas to join the Lakers, but Sabonis vetoed the trade. To this day, he still remains such a fan favorite here in Portland.