PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the surprise teams next year?

wapiti
January 8th, 2018, 10:29 AM
One for who was not ranked at the end of this year, but will be good next year?

and for who was highly ranked this year, but will struggle next year?

JSUSoutherner
January 8th, 2018, 10:30 AM
APSU

Honestly wouldn't surprise me to see them take the OVC out to the woodshed next year. Including us.

centennial
January 8th, 2018, 10:37 AM
Missouri State. Look for them to win 3-4 MVFC games.

wapiti
January 8th, 2018, 10:41 AM
I am only familiar with the Big Sky so I will limit by guesses to the Big Sky.
The teams to make a big jump in quality will be the State of Montana teams.
and Portland State. After losing every game this year they have only two options: keep the same or improve. I see them improving.

The team to lose quality will be NAU.

One for who was not ranked at the end of this year, but will be good next year?

and for who was highly ranked this year, but will struggle next year?

clenz
January 8th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Voters will dumbly vote UNI highly in the preseason and then drop them like a rock when they lose and go "TYPICAL UNI BEING OVERRATED"

Meanwhile, UNI fans will spend all off season going "Maybe you shouldn't vote UNI that highly" only to have everyone ignore us and do what I said above.

Professor Chaos
January 8th, 2018, 10:56 AM
In the MVFC I think SIU can be next year's version of USD. Their coach is getting things headed in the right direction and they had a couple real good performances last year in a loss to FBS Memphis and a dominating win over Illinois St. They had some stinkers too, most notably against SDSU and USD, and finished the season on a 4 game losing streak after starting 4-3. I think they were a real young team though so with more experience should come more consistency for them.

Gangtackle11
January 8th, 2018, 11:00 AM
I think Nova has a chance to be back in the mix. Look at my signature facts. We skip the playoffs in odd seasons & make them in even this decade.

More importantly we return a lot plus we get back 4 injured starters including Preseason DPOY/1st team AA Rob Rolle S!!xpeacex

ST_Lawson
January 8th, 2018, 11:02 AM
My guesses at this point for the MVFC:
Down - USD, SDSU (not out of playoffs, just down a bit)
Up - Illinois State, maybe SIU

Outsider1
January 8th, 2018, 11:08 AM
In the SLC McNeese, SFA, SLU and Nicholls could bring some surprises. Some think SFA could be a little more of a surprise. I don't see them making championship runs, but they could turn some heads. I will be interested to see what happens with UCA. Our ex-HC was a really good OC (well, at least for the quarterbacks). Since he has taken the OC at UCA it should be interesting. I don't know what it will mean with the HC change there.

BisonBacker
January 8th, 2018, 11:23 AM
My guesses at this point for the MVFC:
Down - USD, SDSU (not out of playoffs, just down a bit)
Up - Illinois State, maybe SIU

I'm curious where do you see Western going? Up or down?

PaladinFan
January 8th, 2018, 11:27 AM
APSU

Honestly wouldn't surprise me to see them take the OVC out to the woodshed next year. Including us.

I think JSU's early exit justified APSU's exclusion from the post-season this year. The OVC is likely a 1 bid league going forward and it'll probably come down to APSU/JSU.

Gil Dobie
January 8th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Delaware returns to playoff football.

JSUSoutherner
January 8th, 2018, 11:33 AM
I think JSU's early exit justified APSU's exclusion from the post-season this year. The OVC is likely a 1 bid league going forward and it'll probably come down to APSU/JSU.
Ehh. Depending on our OOC we should not have as many losses as APSU did last year anyway.

I think any OVC team with 9 wins is going to get a bid. We may suck, but we aren't the MEAC.

BEAR
January 8th, 2018, 11:35 AM
I'm not saying anyone in the SLC will be worth their salt once real competition is played. Sammy lost too many good ones. UCA did too. But even with that talent UCA jumped the shark early in the playoffs..thanks coach. xsmhx It may take Sammy a couple of years to rebuild.

So for the question...

SLU was unranked but will be a nice surprise for the FCS.

UCA and SHSU were ranked but flopped and will again next year if either makes it. IMO. Sammy will perform better..but in the end it won't matter.

Professor Chaos
January 8th, 2018, 11:35 AM
It may have this year but next year is a new year. If another OVC team can put up a good non-conference resume* and then win 6 or 7 games in the OVC they could still get an at large.

*Hint: Scheduling 3 FBS games is likely not the best way to put up a good non-conference resume.

ST_Lawson
January 8th, 2018, 11:42 AM

Not really sure...I kinda feel like I'm just too close to the situation to provide an objective opinion, but here's what I think so far...

Our offense will likely be about the same overall, but a little heavier towards the run percentage-wise (Steve McShane and Max Norris, big-time) unless we have another surprise Acklin. McGuire is back for his Senior year, but we don't have Judd or Torgerson on the O-Line anymore. We'll have to see if we have the guys able to step up and fill those spots.

Defense...well, we're losing Brett Taylor...our best defensive player in...a good 7-8 years. I feel like we'll see a lot more of Quentin Moon next year (probably will be the top tackler for WIU in 2018), but losing Taylor is going to be tough. Not at all worried about the D-Line guys...we've got a good amount of young talented guys there with more waiting in the wings. We are losing quite a few of our decent DBs...Aaron Diggs, Tyrin Holloway (transferred in last year from Liberty, had 7 INTs), Josh Smith, David Griffith...those last two played in 45+ games over 4 years...so I'm kinda worried about our pass defense.
Also, a lot will depend on who our new DC is going to be...still TBD.

Like Clenz, I'm going to wait until we see who's transferring out, who's transferring in, and how spring practices go before I can make any real predictions.
If I had to make a wild guess at this point, I'd say about the same or maybe slightly down (so, 8-3 or maybe 7-4 in the regular season).

nodak651
January 8th, 2018, 11:43 AM
UND has the potential to be pretty good with their starting defensive players back and a new QB. Will still have poor OL and the worst offensive coordinator in the league. If the OL can play somewhat competent UND will have a good season. Otherwise we will be .500 ish.

JSUSoutherner
January 8th, 2018, 11:44 AM
:D
UND has the potential to be pretty good with their starting defensive players back and a new QB. Will still have poor OL and the worst offensive coordinator in the league. If the OL can play somewhat competent UND will have a good season. Otherwise we will be .500 ish.

But the real question is how much time have they spent in the weight room and how pissed off are they?

Leatherneckcountry
January 8th, 2018, 11:48 AM
I Know you asked ST but my honest opinion is down we lose a lot in the DB position all but one offensive lineman and a WR who had the best receiving season in WIU history I see us at 4-5 wins. As far as who to watch for I will go with the bears MSU had a very good offense this year they just didn't play any defense SDSU will probably be down as well. USD I think it comes down to was Strevler just that good or was it cause he had a bunch of really good player's around I'm going to say the latter right now.

BadlandsGrizFan
January 8th, 2018, 11:50 AM
BOBBY FREAKING HAUCK!!!!

nodak651
January 8th, 2018, 11:51 AM

But the real question is how much time have they spent in the weight room and how pissed off are they?

Probably the same as most teams.

JSUSoutherner
January 8th, 2018, 11:53 AM
BOBBY FREAKING HAUCK!!!!
The Big Sky's own YSU? :D

Probably the same as most teams.

I'm just going to assume you missed my reference.

BisonBacker
January 8th, 2018, 11:53 AM

This never gets old xlolx

Well unless of course you are a fan of the fawhkers. Wait do they even have any fans anymore :D

Thumper 76
January 8th, 2018, 11:54 AM
BOBBY FREAKING HAUCK!!!!

So......not Montana then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 8th, 2018, 11:59 AM
If Hauck can win 6 games next year I will be impressed........even in the weak ass BSC.

He better get some SERIOUS talent upgrades in the secondary or the teams that put up 450+ yards on us now will put up 600+ We are lacking talent and depth more than at anytime I have been watching Montana football. We need a real RB too.

nodak651
January 8th, 2018, 12:16 PM
I'm just going to assume you missed my reference.

Nope.

POD Knows
January 8th, 2018, 12:18 PM
UND has the potential to be pretty good with their starting defensive players back and a new QB. Will still have poor OL and the worst offensive coordinator in the league. If the OL can play somewhat competent UND will have a good season. Otherwise we will be .500 ish.Who you gonna have for a QB? You look pretty thin in that position in my never humble opinion.

Hambone
January 8th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Who you gonna have for a QB? You look pretty thin in that position in my never humble opinion.

Nate Ketteringham, a transfer from Sac State that sat out last year. Heard he was the best QB on the roster last year, and throws a nice ball. I'm hoping he is good, but might not matter much if the OL isn't very improved.

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 8th, 2018, 12:48 PM
Cal Davis will be the surprise next year

POD Knows
January 8th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Nate Ketteringham, a transfer from Sac State that sat out last year. Heard he was the best QB on the roster last year, and throws a nice ball. I'm hoping he is good, but might not matter much if the OL isn't very improved.Thanks for the info, I don't know much about him.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 8th, 2018, 01:29 PM
If the Patriot League is going to earn any bit of respectability back next year it will likely be because of Colgate. The Raiders return a bunch of experience and talent from a 7-4. Colgate has a challenging OOC so the country will know early on if they're contenders or pretenders.

I have to think Delaware is going to put it together in year two under Rocco.

Daytripper
January 8th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Abilene Christian.

nodak651
January 8th, 2018, 01:39 PM
Cal Davis will be the surprise next year

Would defiantly agree with this if their key pieces are back. I think they had the best QB/WR connection in the league, if I recall. Are these two guys back?

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 8th, 2018, 02:02 PM
Would defiantly agree with this if their key pieces are back. I think they had the best QB/WR connection in the league, if I recall. Are these two guys back?
Yes all of their skill players are back as well as Maier the QB is a JR

katss07
January 8th, 2018, 02:11 PM
ACU
Southern Illinois
Sacramento State

WestCoastAggie
January 8th, 2018, 02:19 PM
The MEAC will get a playoff berth in '18 and finally win a game.

Outsider1
January 8th, 2018, 02:49 PM
I would love to have us be a surprise, but don't see it happening by next year. I don't see us better than 5-6, would love it but don't see it quite yet.

ASU33
January 8th, 2018, 03:13 PM
In the SWAC I would have to say Southern. They were 8 points away from the conference title with a team full of Freshmen and sophomores who didn't have the luxury of going through a spring practice.

Catatonic
January 8th, 2018, 04:01 PM
I would love to have us be a surprise, but don't see it happening by next year. I don't see us better than 5-6, would love it but don't see it quite yet.

I have some Purple KoolAid I am whipping up at my house. Come on by and I will share. After a glass or two you will see us prohibitive favorites to whip NDSU in Frisco next year.

Outsider1
January 8th, 2018, 04:04 PM
I have some Purple KoolAid I am whipping up at my house. Come on by and I will share. After a glass or two you will see us prohibitive favorites to whip NDSU in Frisco next year.

LOL, would love it :)

caribbeanhen
January 8th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Rhode Island was actually competitive this year, not sure who they have coming back though

katss07
January 8th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Looking for some insight from Big Sky people. How will North Dakota be next year? I know the Hawks were good two of the past three years. They were kinda hosed in 15, made it in 16, but sucked in 17. SHSU plays them in Huntsville next year. Sam has a decent amount of players returning, skill positions are filled out minus QB (we have talent) and a decent D. Will the Hawks be good? Should we expect to beat UND?

BisonTru
January 8th, 2018, 05:28 PM
YSU. They tend to find athletes other teams are overlooking...

... usually for obvious off field legal issues.

Grizzlies82
January 8th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Looking for some insight from Big Sky people. How will North Dakota be next year? I know the Hawks were good two of the past three years. They were kinda hosed in 15, made it in 16, but sucked in 17. SHSU plays them in Huntsville next year. Sam has a decent amount of players returning, skill positions are filled out minus QB (we have talent) and a decent D. Will the Hawks be good? Should we expect to beat UND?

Honestly hard to tell how they'll be in 2018. They suffered several injuries to their defense yet that doesn't fully explain how pathetic they were this past year. They still had a fabulous one/two punch in their backfield. Two very dangerous running backs who could play for anybody. Yet their offense was very lame in the two games I watched. So I can only conclude it must have been a lack of time in the weight room which caused such a dramatic let down in 2017.

Seawolf97
January 8th, 2018, 07:09 PM
StonyBrook should be back in the play off mix in2018 . We graduated 19 seniors this year but we have some good depth at running back and a seasoned O line.

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 8th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Nobody in the BSC plays defense so I am sure you will be fine. Win the turnover battle and you should win 63-48

F'N Hawks
January 8th, 2018, 10:15 PM
Who you gonna have for a QB? You look pretty thin in that position in my never humble opinion.

Actually they will have the best three QBs they have ever had as far three guys who can all play. Our OC is another story....

VandalBasher
January 8th, 2018, 10:46 PM
I am going to be a homer here. The Vandals will be Top 3 in the Big Sky. It might be a few more years before there is much noise in the playoffs, but Top 3 is doable.

Go Vandals

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 8th, 2018, 10:59 PM
I am thinking the Vandals will be in the 4 or 5 range. MSU gave you guys a game last year and they are just better than you this year. Eastern will boatrace you guys out of any building and UC Davis might surprise you in the first game that team is starting to gel.

VandalBasher
January 8th, 2018, 11:06 PM
I am thinking the Vandals will be in the 4 or 5 range. MSU gave you guys a game last year and they are just better than you this year. Eastern will boatrace you guys out of any building and UC Davis might surprise you in the first game that team is starting to gel.

The 4 and 5 spots are already taken by the Montana schools. Time to give back that stein.

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 8th, 2018, 11:13 PM
The 4 and 5 spots are already taken by the Montana schools. Time to give back that stein.

Not this year, and you sure as hell are not gonna get it without Linehan!

nodak651
January 8th, 2018, 11:48 PM

At this point, I'm guessing Sam Houston wins by a couple touchdowns.

A big factor will be whether or not Deion Harris can recover to 100%. With how much you guys pass, he will be very important. He was ranked by Mel Kiper as the number 5 senior cb in all of college football before the season started this year, but he tore his achilles prior to fall camp.

What do you have coming back as far as d line? If it sucks, we probably win, otherwise shsu by 2 td.

malibudude
January 8th, 2018, 11:54 PM
That is a tough injury to comeback from for any player...a db harder.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2018, 04:27 AM
If the Patriot League is going to earn any bit of respectability back next year it will likely be because of Colgate. The Raiders return a bunch of experience and talent from a 7-4. Colgate has a challenging OOC so the country will know early on if they're contenders or pretenders.

I have to think Delaware is going to put it together in year two under Rocco.

Big OOC game early as the Raiders head to Greenville to play Furman. The Paladins return virtually everyone off a team that thumped Colgate in Hamilton.

Daytripper
January 9th, 2018, 06:07 AM
At this point, I'm guessing Sam Houston wins by a couple touchdowns.

A big factor will be whether or not Deion Harris can recover to 100%. With how much you guys pass, he will be very important. He was ranked by Mel Kiper as the number 5 senior cb in all of college football before the season started this year, but he tore his achilles prior to fall camp.

What do you have coming back as far as d line? If it sucks, we probably win, otherwise shsu by 2 td.

We lose DT P.J. Hall, which is huge, and DE Darrion Harris, which isn't much of a deal. That leaves us with pretty good talent and depth, especially with Chris Stewart who is special. We are only losing one linebacker (Justin Johnson) but he was our best.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 9th, 2018, 06:14 AM
Probably not a surprise but Kennesaw is going to roll next year. With what they have coming back, they are a top 4 seed IMO.

Mattymc727
January 9th, 2018, 06:24 AM
Albany will be a playoff team

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 9th, 2018, 06:47 AM
Albany will be a playoff team

Wasn't UNH the youngest team in the playoffs this year?

They will be a playoff team next year. Could even be a top seed.

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2018, 06:53 AM

There were number of young teams. Furman and Elon were both super young. Furman returns 21 of 22 on the defensive two deep and most of the offense.

Gil Dobie
January 9th, 2018, 07:43 AM

They'll always be a playoff team with their rep on the committee.

kalm
January 9th, 2018, 07:52 AM
I'd say Davis but they play SJSU, Stanford, and Idaho in September and are EWU and Montana, along with NAU and Sac at home. Fairly tough schedule.

Sac loses a pair of all conference DE's and a safety but only graduate 9 seniors. Thompson is back as are both of his big play threats at WR. The Hornets are young but apparently improving.

Idaho State is also very young but has some talent.

McNeese72
January 9th, 2018, 07:58 AM
Voters will dumbly vote UNI highly in the preseason and then drop them like a rock when they lose and go "TYPICAL UNI BEING OVERRATED"

Meanwhile, UNI fans will spend all off season going "Maybe you shouldn't vote UNI that highly" only to have everyone ignore us and do what I said above.

Plug McNeese in everywhere UNI is in that statement and that can somewhat apply to McNeese and McNeese fans.

Doc

clenz
January 9th, 2018, 08:02 AM

I don't really feel like doing all 24 teams but quick mafs for UNH - each year counts as 1 in my math - freshman 1 sophomore 2 etc. a RS year counts as half so a RS Jr is 3.5

Offensive starters for the playoff game
1 RS Sr
1 Sr
4 RS Jr
4 RS So
1 RS Fr

Average experience - 3.09...basically averaged a junior across the offense

Defensive starters
2 RS Sr
1 Sr
3 RS Jr
2 RS So
1 So
2 RS Fr

Average experience 3.05...basically averaged a junior across the defense

10 of 22 starters were freshman or sophomores in terms of eligibility. I'd guess that would be on the younger side of the playoffs but I'm not willing to commit to that.

I did a quick comp to UNI...not a ton of difference on offense - defensively UNI had more seniors starting. However, when looking at the 2 deep UNI had 12 of 22 offensive players listed as freshman or sophomores and 13 of 22 defensive players as freshman or sophomores

That would be 25 of 44 players as freshman or sophomores with 12 of them freshman.

I guess it depends how you want to define young - starters or total stats for players. UNI's starters were among the older in the playoffs, but in terms of actual participation they were one of the youngest.

Anthony215
January 9th, 2018, 08:05 AM
I think Nova has a chance to be back in the mix. Look at my signature facts. We skip the playoffs in odd seasons & make them in even this decade.

More importantly we return a lot plus we get back 4 injured starters including Preseason DPOY/1st team AA Rob Rolle S!!xpeacex

I agree but my question is what do you do with Jaquan Amos who filled in admirably as a true freshman for Rolle when he went down. Do you redshirt him next season? Or make him the dime backer?

kalm
January 9th, 2018, 08:09 AM
edit.

DFW HOYA
January 9th, 2018, 08:15 AM

Colgate is routinely one of the two best teams in the PL. Not being respectable is a surprise.

The bottom half of the PL is arguably as weak as it's ever been in the last 15 years.

Mattymc727
January 9th, 2018, 08:18 AM
UNH will be a playoff team and better than this years team. returns all skill guys on offense and even our original starting RB who missed this season to a torn ACL. Defense also will be good, only big loss at DT. I don't think Trevor Knight will ever take this team to a top seed though. (Cue the rest of the UNH homers to bash me)

However, This thread was about surprise teams. UNH being a top team isn't a surprise. Albany being pretty good would be however.

Lehigh'98
January 9th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Delaware better watch out next year or NDSU is going to really surprise them. Might even pull the upset.

Milktruck74
January 9th, 2018, 12:57 PM
I'd love for it to be my Mocs....but I just don't see it.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 9th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Colgate is routinely one of the two best teams in the PL. Not being respectable is a surprise.

The bottom half of the PL is arguably as weak as it's ever been in the last 15 years.

Being nationally relevant at this point would "surprise" some given the sorry state of the league right now. They need to prove those 2 playoff games in 2015 weren't a fluke.

BisonFan02
January 9th, 2018, 02:14 PM
edit.

They suck worse than bye.

Derby City Duke
January 9th, 2018, 04:11 PM
That is a tough injury to comeback from for any player...a db harder.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Cardon Johnson is going to try it for the 2nd time...his decision, I know, but I really hoped somebody spoke with him about the importance of being able to walk normally when he's in his 30s. Maybe the NCAA will render the point moot and not grant the medical redshirt.

caribbeanhen
January 9th, 2018, 05:49 PM

have to agree, only question is how much do you miss that QB that decided he wanted to play hoops at Penn State....

KPSUL
January 9th, 2018, 06:49 PM
UNH will be a playoff team and better than this years team. returns all skill guys on offense and even our original starting RB who missed this season to a torn ACL. Defense also will be good, only big loss at DT. I don't think Trevor Knight will ever take this team to a top seed though. (Cue the rest of the UNH homers to bash me)

However, This thread was about surprise teams. UNH being a top team isn't a surprise. Albany being pretty good would be however.

Good assessment, I may be a little more optimistic about Trevor Knight, but he still needs to prove he can lead the team to wins in close games against tough teams before I'd predict UNH to make the playoffs as a top seed. He should get plenty of chances because our schedule looks to be a little tougher than 2017 but we do play JMU, Stony Brook, Delaware, Colgate, and Albany at home.

Wildcat1997
January 9th, 2018, 09:52 PM
I would love to have us be a surprise, but don't see it happening by next year. I don't see us better than 5-6, would love it but don't see it quite yet.I agree with you. I would definitely like to be a contender next season but I don’t think we will be. Honestly I’ll be happy with 5 or 6 wins next year.

ngineer
January 9th, 2018, 10:46 PM
If Lehigh can ever learn to play defense, they could be very surprising. But we said the same thing this past year. Offense will still be potent and stellar kicker returns, but Coen needs to find answers on defense.

Little Stevie
January 10th, 2018, 05:21 AM
Rhody

UNHWildcat18
January 10th, 2018, 07:00 AM

Agree with most of it, a lot of people who **** on UNH the entirity of the playoffs forgot they were one of the youngest teams... in the playoffs. Not sure if we will be a top seed, but I don't see us missing the playoffs next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Rhody

Yeahhhhh buddyyy

PaladinNation
January 10th, 2018, 08:18 AM
I don't really feel like doing all 24 teams but quick mafs for UNH - each year counts as 1 in my math - freshman 1 sophomore 2 etc. a RS year counts as half so a RS Jr is 3.5

Offensive starters for the playoff game
1 RS Sr
1 Sr
4 RS Jr
4 RS So
1 RS Fr

Average experience - 3.09...basically averaged a junior across the offense

Defensive starters
2 RS Sr
1 Sr
3 RS Jr
2 RS So
1 So
2 RS Fr

Average experience 3.05...basically averaged a junior across the defense

10 of 22 starters were freshman or sophomores in terms of eligibility. I'd guess that would be on the younger side of the playoffs but I'm not willing to commit to that.

I did a quick comp to UNI...not a ton of difference on offense - defensively UNI had more seniors starting. However, when looking at the 2 deep UNI had 12 of 22 offensive players listed as freshman or sophomores and 13 of 22 defensive players as freshman or sophomores

That would be 25 of 44 players as freshman or sophomores with 12 of them freshman.

I guess it depends how you want to define young - starters or total stats for players. UNI's starters were among the older in the playoffs, but in terms of actual participation they were one of the youngest.

following your lead… put the numbers to Furman's playoff two deep:

Furman offensive starters for the playoffs
SR - 6 (4 x 6 = 24)
SO - 3 (3 x 2 = 6)
FR - 2 (2 x 1 = 2)
32 — average 2.90

Furman defensive starters for the playoffs
JR - 5 (5 x 3 = 15)
SO - 3 (3 x 2 = 6)
FR - 3 (3 x 1 = 3)
24 — average 2.18

Furman 2nd team offense
JR - 3 (3 x 2 = 2)
SO - 1 (1 x 2 = 2)
FR - 7 (7 x 1 = 7)
11 — average 1.0

Furman 2nd team defense
SR - 1 (1 x 4 = 4)
JR 1 (1 x 3 = 3)
SO - 4 (4 x 2 = 16)
FR - 5 (5 x 1 = 5)
28 — average 2.54

44 entire two-deep — average 2.15

I wrongly assumed Furman's youth was on defense, Furman is deceptively young on offense - outside of the 6 seniors that started (one of those part of the two headed Wilcox/Dirks tandem) Furman is really young. 2018 isn't going to be much better - 50/50 chance or better that a freshman will be quarterback. Furman also just added three transfer they all should impact the two deep - 1 JR -- 2 SO.

2019-2020 should be more balanced Paladin teams - as a Furman fan I think we have exciting days ahead.

walliver
January 10th, 2018, 09:03 AM
I would look out for ETSU. A new coach is always a question mark, but they are investing in the program, and may have a breakout year (which would mean a 3d or 4th place SoCon finish).

srgrizizen
January 10th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Nobody in the BSC plays defense so I am sure you will be fine. Win the turnover battle and you should win 63-48

Right on. It looked for a while like Weber State was starting to play a little defense, but they backed off after a stern warning from the league office.:D

ElCid
January 10th, 2018, 10:11 PM
I am thinking it will be a surprise.xlolx There is always seems to be a team that comes out of nowhere. I am betting it is a team that nobody here will pick. You never know when the perfect storm of coach, players, schedule, weather, and downright luck will pop up.

PaladinFan
January 11th, 2018, 05:57 AM
I would look out for ETSU. A new coach is always a question mark, but they are investing in the program, and may have a breakout year (which would mean a 3d or 4th place SoCon finish).

It's possible. I don't see them as talented as Samford, Wofford, WCU, or Furman right now, though.

Granted, my experience watching ETSU probably is a little jaded having watched Furman clobber them the last two seasons. Looking at their schedule, the Bucs played unexpectedly well against Mercer and Wofford, but those are not necessarily surprising results. Mercer has a habit of having a dud game every now and then and Wofford struggled to beat anyone convincingly.

Other than those games, the Bucs played close games against overrated/bad SoCon opponents UTC and the Citadel, but was pretty well handled by Samford, Western, and Furman.

I agree that they could move up in the conference, but I don't see them jumping those teams that beat them last year who also return a ton of starters.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 11th, 2018, 06:06 AM
]If Lehigh can ever learn to play defense, they could be very surprising.[/SIZE] But we said the same thing this past year. Offense will still be potent and stellar kicker returns, but Coen needs to find answers on defense.

That sentence could/should be the mantra for most teams in the FCS. Play some defense and your season might turn out a little better than expected.

Houndawg
January 11th, 2018, 06:39 AM
In the MVFC I think SIU can be next year's version of USD. Their coach is getting things headed in the right direction and they had a couple real good performances last year in a loss to FBS Memphis and a dominating win over Illinois St. They had some stinkers too, most notably against SDSU and USD, and finished the season on a 4 game losing streak after starting 4-3. I think they were a real young team though so with more experience should come more consistency for them.

I was hoping nobody would notice. We're much improved athletically especially on defense - our problem on defense was that we started three freshmen and a sophomore on the DL. I think that '19 will be the season that we make some noise although we'll be a tough out next year, at least in the games we decide to show up for.

ElCid
January 11th, 2018, 10:47 AM
It's possible. I don't see them as talented as Samford, Wofford, WCU, or Furman right now, though.

Granted, my experience watching ETSU probably is a little jaded having watched Furman clobber them the last two seasons. Looking at their schedule, the Bucs played unexpectedly well against Mercer and Wofford, but those are not necessarily surprising results. Mercer has a habit of having a dud game every now and then and Wofford struggled to beat anyone convincingly.

Other than those games, the Bucs played close games against overrated/bad SoCon opponents UTC and the Citadel, but was pretty well handled by Samford, Western, and Furman.

I agree that they could move up in the conference, but I don't see them jumping those teams that beat them last year who also return a ton of starters.

Regardless of the score, our game wasn't really that close. Even when we were down, I wasn't too worried since we were manhanding them so much. We pretty much dominated then in most stats. Not by a little...by a lot. Our offense was sputtering this past year and we simply couldn't close the deal on so many drives. That was our story all year. Very young o line was the biggest problem.

ETSU did ok this past year. But I think it is still a work in progress for one more year before they may have a break out.

PaladinFan
January 11th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Regardless of the score, our game wasn't really that close. Even when we were down, I wasn't too worried since we were manhanding them so much. We pretty much dominated then in most stats. Not by a little...by a lot. Our offense was sputtering this past year and we simply couldn't close the deal on so many drives. That was our story all year. Very young o line was the biggest problem.

ETSU did ok this past year. But I think it is still a work in progress for one more year before they may have a break out.

At bottom, ETSU was a one-man band on offense with Herink. They didn't have much of a run game and were decent defensively.

I think Herink is a good QB, but I don't think he's good enough to carry that team without a running game supporting him.

Tuna85
January 11th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Probably not a surprise but Kennesaw is going to roll next year. With what they have coming back, they are a top 4 seed IMO.

As a University of North Alabama fan, I have been keeping a eye on Kennesaw. Hope they do as well in 2018 as they did in 2017. They will be our closest Big South competitor and I am hoping to a good rivalry going forward beginning 2019.

ElCid
January 11th, 2018, 12:37 PM
At bottom, ETSU was a one-man band on offense with Herink. They didn't have much of a run game and were decent defensively.

I think Herink is a good QB, but I don't think he's good enough to carry that team without a running game supporting him.

He was good first QB for them. He has been pretty accurate and I think fairly poised. If only his o line would protect him more. They are a solid team, but just too "new" still. Their talent has not been bad and they have pulled off some nice victories when teams have been sleep walking.

SochorField
January 11th, 2018, 02:39 PM
I'd say Davis but they play SJSU, Stanford, and Idaho in September and are EWU and Montana, along with NAU and Sac at home. Fairly tough schedule.

Sac loses a pair of all conference DE's and a safety but only graduate 9 seniors. Thompson is back as are both of his big play threats at WR. The Hornets are young but apparently improving.

Idaho State is also very young but has some talent.

I would say Davis too, but the schedule is brutal. Not as worried about Idaho, but they will maintain a size advantage for a couple years.
With Doss [likely] returning, Maier and the rest of the offense coming back, the only question is the Defense (so goes the BSC).

katss07
January 11th, 2018, 03:24 PM
As a University of North Alabama fan, I have been keeping a eye on Kennesaw. Hope they do as well in 2018 as they did in 2017. They will be our closest Big South competitor and I am hoping to a good rivalry going forward beginning 2019.
UNA has a big challenge on their hands. Like ACU, they are a talented D2 team moving up. I know it will probably be a few years before UNA gets good, but I am really hoping they help strengthen the conference, along with Hampton. If Kennesaw, Monmouth and UNA are all competitive, the conference should be really fun to watch!

Tuna85
January 11th, 2018, 05:48 PM
UNA has a big challenge on their hands. Like ACU, they are a talented D2 team moving up. I know it will probably be a few years before UNA gets good, but I am really hoping they help strengthen the conference, along with Hampton. If Kennesaw, Monmouth and UNA are all competitive, the conference should be really fun to watch!
Reckon UNA Lions will take some lumps starting out. 2018 is a transition year. What I read is home games, this year, will be D2 teams and the away games will be FCS. Among those away games is North Dakota State Bisons.
Big South football needs stability and maybe Hampton, Campbell, and UNA will help with that. A good competitive conference will lift all boats and possibly encourage teams like Kennesaw to remain and not follow the path of Coastal and Liberty.

mmiller_34
January 12th, 2018, 07:17 AM
Indiana State will win a game.

Outsider1
January 12th, 2018, 08:29 AM

I don't think UNA will be a surprise because we know they will be very competitive quickly. Their 1st year? No, but I do think they are ready for the transition and will definitely bring value.

Redbird 4th & short
January 12th, 2018, 08:56 AM
too early for me to assess outside of MVFC

- trend up .. SIU
- trend down .. toss up between USD and SDSU .. thinking SDSU slips most

As for ISU .. too early to tell on defense, but offense will be seriously powerful run game (lot back with RB and OL groups) and more efficient pass game with OC they just re-hired. Hope to have better feel for defense after spring ball .. we lost a lot, plus our DC.

Tuna85
January 12th, 2018, 12:36 PM

I expect a few bumps at the start. 2018 transition year will be split between D2 and FCS. All the FCS games will be on the road. Kind of a bummer because it would have been great to have an FCS game in Florence, AL this year. Big challenge in 2018 will be playing NDSU Bisons. 2019 schedule has Montana Griz, Western Illinois and our Big South football brethren. Big South football needs some stability and some strong rivalries. Development of good rivalries will increase fan interest and lift all boats.

Tuna85
January 12th, 2018, 12:47 PM
I don't think UNA will be a surprise because we know they will be very competitive quickly. Their 1st year? No, but I do think they are ready for the transition and will definitely bring value.
If the Big South can hang on to it members, then I think some strong rivalries and familiarity will develop. To me, this will be the key to a strong competitive conference. This UNA alum is looking forward to us doing our part.

ElCid
January 12th, 2018, 12:56 PM
If the Big South can hang on to it members, then I think some strong rivalries and familiarity will develop. To me, this will be the key to a strong competitive conference. This UNA alum is looking forward to us doing our part.

Welcome Tuna85. Glad you showed up. Is that a year or jersey...85? If a year, good year. I think your addition will be good for the BS.

Outsider1
January 12th, 2018, 01:17 PM

Agreed, the addition of UNA will really help the BSC become much more competitive.

Tuna85
January 12th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Welcome Tuna85. Glad you showed up. Is that a year or jersey...85? If a year, good year. I think your addition will be good for the BS.

It's a year. When it comes to jersey number, well let's just say that back then I was small but I made up for it by being slow. Sure enjoyed the watching the games though.

Tuna85
January 12th, 2018, 01:53 PM

Still trying to figure this site out so you may see 3 times (sorry). 2018 is the transition year so we have D2 and FCS games. All the FCS games will be on the road. One of those is NDSU Bisons. So 2018 is definitely going to be a challenge. 2019 we will play our Big South football brethren, Montana Griz, Western Illinois, and Alabama A&M. A&M is a natural OOC from the past (60 miles away). My hope is we develop a good rivalry with Kennesaw as they will be our closest conference foe. Also looking forward to Hampton, Campbell, and the others. Monmouth will be a push as far as travel but I've got to admire their dedication to playing FCS with the travel distances they have in Conference.

ElCid
January 12th, 2018, 02:44 PM
It's a year. When it comes to jersey number, well let's just say that back then I was small but I made up for it by being slow. Sure enjoyed the watching the games though.

Well then double welcome to an 85 grad. Me too. I blossomed late. I was a late summer baby. Always the smallest. Now I just keep growing and not in a good way. What's up with that?

Tuna85
January 12th, 2018, 06:37 PM
Well then double welcome to an 85 grad. Me too. I blossomed late. I was a late summer baby. Always the smallest. Now I just keep growing and not in a good way. What's up with that?

Well, with age comes some settling of contents...blame it on gravity.

cx500d
January 12th, 2018, 06:42 PM
...well let's just say that back then I was small but I made up for it by being fast

http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/thats-what-she-said-funny-memes-7.jpg

Tuna85
January 12th, 2018, 08:05 PM
http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/thats-what-she-said-funny-memes-7.jpg

Nope. Not the post I remember making. Definitely slow. I remember running the mile against a fellow named Steve Bolt and pretty much coming in about a lap behind (4 laps= mile). Course Steve later ran track for Alabama an was running 4 minutes or less. I was closer to 6 minutes...definitely slow.

cx500d
January 12th, 2018, 08:09 PM
Nope. Not the post I remember making. Definitely slow. I remember running the mile against a fellow named Steve Bolt and pretty much coming in about a lap behind (4 laps= mile). Course Steve later ran track for Alabama an was running 4 minutes or less. I was closer to 6 minutes...definitely slow.

That's understandable given he later changed his name to Usain

ElCid
January 12th, 2018, 08:17 PM

I remember my fastest 1.5 mile run when I was at AF summer camp. I was pacing a CC runner and I couldn't keep up the last 1/2 mile or so. He did it in like 6 - 6.5 minutes. I think I came in at 8 minutes which isn't bad for 1.5 mile, and for someone who absolutely hates to run. My best ever. I think I can squeeze out a 15 minute mile and half now.

Tuna85
January 12th, 2018, 08:20 PM
That's understandable given he later changed his name to Usain
...and got a lot younger and became a sprinter. Lord hep.

Tuna85
January 12th, 2018, 08:36 PM
I remember my fastest 1.5 mile run when I was at AF summer camp. I was pacing a CC runner and I couldn't keep up the last 1/2 mile or so. He did it in like 6 - 6.5 minutes. I think I came in at 8 minutes which isn't bad for 1.5 mile, and for someone who absolutely hates to run. My best ever. I think I can squeeze out a 15 minute mile and half now.
Well class of 85 and being able to cover it in 15 minutes is better than many, if not most, of yore peers. No complaints. To the main topic, I would reckon Kennesaw may not be a surprise now but I think they have potential to finish further along in 2018 than 2017. I believe the playoffs were a good learning experience of what effort is required.

ElCid
January 12th, 2018, 09:38 PM
Well class of 85 and being able to cover it in 15 minutes is better than many, if not most, of yore peers. No complaints. To the main topic, I would reckon Kennesaw may not be a surprise now but I think they have potential to finish further along in 2018 than 2017. I believe the playoffs were a good learning experience of what effort is required.

Possibly in regard to KSU. I think part of their success, and this is not a knock on them, is that they took a few teams by surprise. Not sure they will sneak up on anyone next year, especially in the playoffs if they get in.

Twentysix
January 13th, 2018, 09:30 AM
All of this is irrelevant, NDSU wins the NC by 3 tds. ;)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Houndawg
January 15th, 2018, 12:06 PM

4:35 in high school - probably the fastest time in the nation for a FBxthumbsupx

walliver
January 15th, 2018, 03:13 PM
At this point, a successful Kennesaw season would not be a surprise to any informed observer.

Long-term, I wonder what Kennesaw will do. The A-Sun is a geographic mess extending from Fort Myers, FL to New Jersey. Kennesaw would be an outlier for full Big South membership which is now a Carolinas-Virginia conference. They would be on the fringe of the OVC. They fit in the SoCon geography (and at one time were considered a target for basketball expansion - before that idea was nixed) but would likely have trouble getting the approval of the private and military schools. I could easily see them in the Sun Belt if Georgia State ever moves to C-USA.

Tuna85
January 15th, 2018, 07:03 PM
4:35 in high school - probably the fastest time in the nation for a FBxthumbsupx
Well there you go...at least that's what I would say as you went by me. I'd say that's pretty darn fast!

Tuna85
January 15th, 2018, 07:08 PM
At this point, a successful Kennesaw season would not be a surprise to any informed observer.

Long-term, I wonder what Kennesaw will do. The A-Sun is a geographic mess extending from Fort Myers, FL to New Jersey. Kennesaw would be an outlier for full Big South membership which is now a Carolinas-Virginia conference. They would be on the fringe of the OVC. They fit in the SoCon geography (and at one time were considered a target for basketball expansion - before that idea was nixed) but would likely have trouble getting the approval of the private and military schools. I could easily see them in the Sun Belt if Georgia State ever moves to C-USA.

Maybe this situation will improve with the 2019 addition of UNA (North Alabama). UNA would then become the outlier to the west both Big South and ASUN. As a UNA fan, I am hoping for a very competitive rivalry with Kennesaw. We have to get through the 2018 transition year and hopefully it will go by fast. Really hope Kennesaw stays put.

Mike296
January 15th, 2018, 09:16 PM
Does APSU count as a surprise given the year they had last year? We’re a fairly young squad and if anyone in the OVC is going to do anything notable in the playoffs it’ll probably be us. That’s if we make the playoffs at all. I have a feeling that JSU/APSU is going to be a big game for playoff implications that’s for sure. If we get an FBS scalp it’ll help our cause even more this coming year.

ST_Lawson
January 15th, 2018, 09:30 PM

I fully expect Kennesaw State to be a competitive member of the Sun Belt by the mid-2020's. Really about the only thing they need is a bigger stadium. If they can get the funding together for that and wrangle themselves an invite, they're more than qualified to be movin' on "up". As much as I don't like the Sun Belt, it would be a great place for them. Just across town from Georgia State, just up the road a ways from Georgia Southern, and smack dab in the middle of Sun Belt territory.

POD Knows
January 16th, 2018, 08:12 AM
Does APSU count as a surprise given the year they had last year? We’re a fairly young squad and if anyone in the OVC is going to do anything notable in the playoffs it’ll probably be us. That’s if we make the playoffs at all. I have a feeling that JSU/APSU is going to be a big game for playoff implications that’s for sure. If we get an FBS scalp it’ll help our cause even more this coming year.Just win the OVC, it is getting old watching JSU **** the bed in the playoffs.

Houndawg
April 16th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Well there you go...at least that's what I would say as you went by me. I'd say that's pretty darn fast!

I was a combination of fullback speed and halfback power...

DFW HOYA
April 16th, 2018, 08:15 PM
I fully expect Kennesaw State to be a competitive member of the Sun Belt by the mid-2020's. Really about the only thing they need is a bigger stadium.

The stadium looks expandable.

http://www.ksuowls.com/images/2016/7/15/KSU_VS_Edward_Waters_Final_7.jpg

ST_Lawson
April 16th, 2018, 08:20 PM
The stadium looks expandable.

That's possible, but I think it was originally built as a soccer stadium and I don't know if they took expandability into account in the plans. Looks like there are roads all around it too, so they'd kinda have to build up as opposed to out.

NY Crusader 2010
April 16th, 2018, 08:37 PM
I fully expect Kennesaw State to be a competitive member of the Sun Belt by the mid-2020's. Really about the only thing they need is a bigger stadium. If they can get the funding together for that and wrangle themselves an invite, they're more than qualified to be movin' on "up". As much as I don't like the Sun Belt, it would be a great place for them. Just across town from Georgia State, just up the road a ways from Georgia Southern, and smack dab in the middle of Sun Belt territory.

Just what the Sun Belch needs, another middle-of-the-road state school from Georgia.

NY Crusader 2010
April 16th, 2018, 08:38 PM
2018 surprise team: William & Mary

ST_Lawson
April 16th, 2018, 08:38 PM
Just what the Sun Belch needs, another middle-of-the-road state school from Georgia.

They'll fit right in.

nodak651
April 19th, 2018, 12:14 PM
That's possible, but I think it was originally built as a soccer stadium and I don't know if they took expandability into account in the plans. Looks like there are roads all around it too, so they'd kinda have to build up as opposed to out.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27457&stc=1

Looks like they have room on the East side. That road doesn't look completely necessary.
Stadium defiantly has a good base. If there was an upper deck on the east side, it would remind me of Stony Brook.

iBOsbu
April 21st, 2018, 07:37 PM
I think Delaware will be a playoff team. Although a 5-3 team improving to 6-2 not much of a surprise I guess.

Milktruck74
April 21st, 2018, 07:56 PM
Back in January I said, I wish it was my Mocs, but I couldn't see it.... Things have change over the past few months....my optimism, the team cohesiveness, the staff, a few players have stepped up their game in the spring. While I'm still not willing to call my Mocs "The Surprise Team" for next season, I do see them ruining a few teams runs and maybe "backdooring" into the playoffs...maybe as the SoCon's 3rd or 4th (seriously doubt the SoCon pulls down 4....but the Mocs are probably the first on the outside).

Twentysix
April 21st, 2018, 10:58 PM
NDSU will become the team with the most FCS championships in history next year. That's kinda surprising to accomplish in only 11 seasons.

Honestly, I'd be super entertained if a PFL team went on a tear in the playoffs. I hope one of them is the surprise team.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 22nd, 2018, 11:59 AM
NDSU will become the team with the most FCS championships in history next year. That's kinda surprising to accomplish in only 11 seasons.

Honestly, I'd be super entertained if a PFL team went on a tear in the playoffs. I hope one of them is the surprise team.

Southern Illinois making a playoff run this year??

...only if they play defense....finally.....xeyebrowx

VandalBasher
April 22nd, 2018, 12:23 PM
Can I say Idaho?

Even as fans, we don't know if the Vandals will go 9-2 or 4-7. It will be a surprise nonetheless.

skinny_uncle
April 22nd, 2018, 06:49 PM
SIU lost their starting QB in game 7 which was a big reason in losing their last 4 games of the season.

Schism55
April 22nd, 2018, 07:46 PM
Can I say Idaho?

Even as fans, we don't know if the Vandals will go 9-2 or 4-7. It will be a surprise nonetheless.
This is exactly my thinking. Idaho should be good, whatever the outcome is will be of note.

caribbeanhen
April 22nd, 2018, 07:57 PM
I think New Hampshire will make the playoffs

TheKingpin28
April 22nd, 2018, 09:00 PM

You couldn't give me good enough odds to take that bet.

Schism55
April 22nd, 2018, 09:27 PM
Lest ye forget, they have....
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27475&stc=1

- - - Updated - - -

TheKingpin28
April 22nd, 2018, 09:29 PM

TheKingpin28
April 22nd, 2018, 09:32 PM

- - - Updated - - -

3 men and no baby?

xnodx

ElCid
April 23rd, 2018, 10:09 AM

Now this is just funny.

VandalBasher
April 23rd, 2018, 11:33 AM
This is exactly my thinking. Idaho should be good, whatever the outcome is will be of note.

I want to base our entire 2018 season on how well we perform against a revitalized Fresno State University and a DII Western New Mexico University.

FSU went 10-4 with a bowl win over Houston and barely lost to BSU (#22).
WNMU went 4-7 in 2017, but won four of their last six games. U of San Diego beat them 31-20.

ST_Lawson
April 23rd, 2018, 12:38 PM

I want to base our entire 2018 season on how well we perform against a revitalized Fresno State University and a DII Western New Mexico University.

FSU went 10-4 with a bowl win over Houston and barely lost to BSU (#22).
WNMU went 4-7 in 2017, but won four of their last six games. U of San Diego beat them 31-20.

Sooo....I think what you're saying is that your SoS covers a pretty wide range.

VandalBasher
April 23rd, 2018, 03:46 PM
Sooo....I think what you're saying is that your SoS covers a pretty wide range.

Throw in Florida (yeah, the Gators) for a November game and you can see what I am talking about.

Redbird 4th & short
April 23rd, 2018, 08:12 PM

And I think Putin will win his next re-election campaign ... = D

bonarae
April 24th, 2018, 06:41 AM
For the Ivies.... it's going to be Princeton, with their four (!) draft-potential seniors, that should be in the mix for a title. Injuries and inconsistency have had quieted Surace's teams as the season progresses...

fmftballmgr
April 30th, 2018, 11:56 AM
I would love for my Racers to be the surprise of the OVC, but I don't think it will happen. Very tough OOC schedule, Coach in his last year of a contract, alot of turnover in the coaching staff, lost our top offensive and defense players and a few more things to our disadvantage could be a long year at the track.

Redbird 4th & short
May 3rd, 2018, 08:58 PM
2011 Illinois State Redbirds .. getting the band back together. Some of the guys are a little out of shape. But that will just make their vindication so much sweeter.

BisonFan02
May 3rd, 2018, 09:31 PM
2011 Illinois State Redbirds .. getting the band back together. Some of the guys are a little out of shape. But that will just make their vindication so much sweeter.

I bet they still don't make the playoffs.

Redbird 4th & short
May 4th, 2018, 07:26 AM
I bet they still don't make the playoffs.

agreed, like I said, most are pretty out of shape at this point. but once again, this thread is simply about "who will be the surprise teams next year" ... I think once again, 2011 ISUr falls squarely into that category

so 2011 Redbirds are now on 3 lists !!!!!! xrolleyesx

p.s. I think the long offseason might be getting to me !

Redbird 4th & short
May 17th, 2018, 08:41 AM
On a more serious note than my last post on this thread ... i.e. 2011 ISUr surprising next year - it's just not looking good for them getting band back together like I had hoped !! xconfusedx

Now thinking 2018 ISUr could surprise next year.

I have previously posted mixed feelings about ISUr for 2018. I have a lot of confidence in our 2018 offense, but had very little confidence in our 2018 defense .. just lost too many defensive studs and Spack over-hauled his coaches (4 on offense, 2 on defense) including both coordinators .. though always loved the re-hiring former OC Beathard (from 2014, 2015). Beathard turned QB Roberson into a high QBR dual threat, but has always preferred pocket passers like current QB Kolbe. Plus he is truly a "QB whisperer" type.

My take on offensive potential has not changed .. going to be a very powerful run game and guessing much improved pass game with return of OC Beathard .. most importantly, we should be much more consistent on offense .. which is main reason Spack over-hauled offensive coaches.S

What's changed is I'm starting to feel better about our defense after hearing more reports from spring ball ... still a lot of unproven guys replacing 9 of 11 starters, but starting to get a positive vibe on that side of ball.

Still might take a month into season to find ours stride on defense, but looking good all things considered.

ngineer
May 20th, 2018, 09:47 PM
If Lehigh ever finds a defense that can hold opponents under 30 points they will be shockers. As will I.

Thumper 76
May 21st, 2018, 01:15 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion the SDSU offense might surprise some people. It might not show in the record or how far they get in the playoffs, but I don’t think the offense will plummet off the face of the earth as some seem to believe. Lots of speed coming up at WR. Will be a fun season to watch, the coaching staff has shown great ability and willingness to switch up what they are doing to accentuate the strengths of the team offensively.

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2018, 06:19 AM

I don't think the SunBelt has a "territory." Its a conference made up of a bunch of schools other conferences don't want.

ST_Lawson
May 21st, 2018, 08:49 AM
I don't think the SunBelt has a "territory." Its a conference made up of a bunch of schools other conferences don't want.

I know it seems like the Sun Belt is a "holding conference" for schools that move up from FCS, but it absolutely has a territory. They don't have a representative in Tennessee or Mississippi, but other than that, it pretty much covers the "old south" and across to Texas. They kicked out their "outliers" as soon as it was feasible. Conference USA and the AAC have less of a "territory" than the Sun Belt. I know they play better football that the SB generally, but they're a lot less compact.

centennial
May 21st, 2018, 09:02 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion the SDSU offense might surprise some people. It might not show in the record or how far they get in the playoffs, but I don’t think the offense will plummet off the face of the earth as some seem to believe. Lots of speed coming up at WR. Will be a fun season to watch, the coaching staff has shown great ability and willingness to switch up what they are doing to accentuate the strengths of the team offensively.

Lost a NFL TE and a borderline NFL WR and you don't think it's going to fall off a cliff? Stealing WR recruits from Texas Tech?

Redbird 4th & short
May 21st, 2018, 09:35 AM

SDSU reloads as well as anyone in FCS .. been a contending top 10 program dating back to 2012 every year to prove it. But this is first year I have my doubts ... not just how much they lost but concern over how QB Christion bounces back fronthat JMU game .. plus how Coach Stig deals with the DUI.. not just the DUI but the attempts to sweep it under carpet. Curious as to your thoughts on those fronts. Clearly SDSU knows how to reload .. but that's a lot of hurdles to overcome in single offseason.

IBleedYellow
May 21st, 2018, 10:07 AM
SDSU reloads as well as anyone in FCS .. been a contending top 10 program dating back to 2012 every year to prove it. But this is first year I have my doubts ... not just how much they lost but concern over how QB Christion bounces back fronthat JMU game .. plus how Coach Stig deals with the DUI.. not just the DUI but the attempts to sweep it under carpet. Curious as to your thoughts on those fronts. Clearly SDSU knows how to reload .. but that's a lot of hurdles to overcome in single offseason.

These are my thoughts - it's not the on the field talent that worries me. It's the exact same two issues you brought up. That's a lot of mental hurdles they will have this year. 10 turnovers in a game is what can break a QB.

Thumper 76
May 21st, 2018, 11:32 AM
Lost a NFL TE and a borderline NFL WR and you don't think it's going to fall off a cliff? Stealing WR recruits from Texas Tech?
No I don’t think it will fall off a cliff. Falling off a cliff would be going from one of the top offenses in the league to averaging something in the low teens for ppg. I don’t think the drop off will be that severe. Tbh my bigger concern isn’t losing Goedert and Weineke, it’s losing our AA center Onesorge. A center is the qb of your offensive line and makes a ton of calls, replacing a really good one isn’t just plug and play. That being said, with three returning o linemen it will be a big help, also with an entire offseason for them to work together will make a difference as well. I think we have enough talent in the wings to be productive at the skill positions, the offense will just look different.

True, the JMU game will be hard to overcome mentally for TC I’m sure, especially if a game starts to go sideways on him. That being said, this is a kid who missed his entire senior season of high school because of a nasty ankle injury and was able to come in and play as a freshman when our qb went down.

As for the DUI thing, I think it’s a bigger deal for fans than the team tbh. I doubt that the guys will be worried about something that happened in the winter off the field when they’re in Fargo on a Saturday.

Also, judging from these responses, a productive offensive unit would in fact be a large surprise to most of the subdivision. I feel there is some real talent that was massively overshadowed by two phenomenal talents, and rightfully so. That being said, SDSU won’t be going from those two down to some guys who wouldn’t make the team for any other Valley schools. If you watch the first drive vs NDSU last year it was almost entirely the secondary receivers who were used to slice through a great ndsu defense, and you can certainly see the speed they have there. I’m thinking there will be a lot of shorter routes to try to let those guys do something in space rather than the long big hitters that were so crucial last year. Like I said, it’s something to watch.

BEAR
May 21st, 2018, 11:36 AM

It's an upper income FCS conference. I mean if UCA went to ASU, multiyear Sunbelt conference champion, and beat them at their house...a little more cash in OUR budget and we move to the Sunbelt.

VandalBasher
May 21st, 2018, 05:00 PM

CUSA and the MWC continually talk about Sun Belt teams that would be a better fit. It won't be too far off before teams like Troy, Appy St., and Texas St. move out of the Sun Belt.

NY Crusader 2010
May 21st, 2018, 05:08 PM
CUSA and the MWC continually talk about Sun Belt teams that would be a better fit. It won't be too far off before teams like Troy, Appy St., and Texas St. move out of the Sun Belt.

I actually find the Sun Belt to be not that much worse of a place to be now, than C-USA. It is a more geographically homogeneous league now with Idaho gone (is NMSU out soon too?). Potential for some rivalries to actually develop there now with App and GSU in the mix, both programs with passionate fan bases enthusiastic about moving up and who I imagine travel well.

Is C-USA that attractive a move-up any more for a Sun Belt school? It's a hodgepodge of misfits stretching from Norfolk down to Miami and across the South to El Paso.

VandalBasher
May 21st, 2018, 06:30 PM
I actually find the Sun Belt to be not that much worse of a place to be now, than C-USA. It is a more geographically homogeneous league now with Idaho gone (is NMSU out soon too?). Potential for some rivalries to actually develop there now with App and GSU in the mix, both programs with passionate fan bases enthusiastic about moving up and who I imagine travel well.

Is C-USA that attractive a move-up any more for a Sun Belt school? It's a hodgepodge of misfits stretching from Norfolk down to Miami and across the South to El Paso.

Massey Composite Rankings: https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Atlantic Coast (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=10423&s=295489)
Big 10 (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=10678&s=295489)
Southeastern (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=14028&s=295489)
Big 12 (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=10686&s=295489)
Pac 12 (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=107818&s=295489)
FBS Indep (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=9224&s=295489)
American Athletic (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=200137&s=295489)
Mountain West (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=12734&s=295489)
Mid-American (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=12526&s=295489)
Conference USA (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=11312&s=295489)
Sun Belt (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=14238&s=295489)

Sagarin: http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

CONFERENCE CENTRAL MEAN SIMPLE AVERAGE TEAMS WIN50%

1 SEC-WEST (A) = 81.83 82.19 ( 1) 7 81.87 ( 1)
2 ACC-ATLANTIC (A) = 80.62 80.83 ( 2) 7 80.70 ( 2)
3 BIG TEN-EAST (A) = 79.86 79.78 ( 3) 7 79.72 ( 3)
4 BIG 12 (A) = 78.45 77.11 ( 4) 10 78.21 ( 4)
5 PAC-12(NORTH) (A) = 77.12 76.20 ( 5) 6 77.09 ( 5)
6 BIG TEN-WEST (A) = 76.63 76.19 ( 6) 7 76.46 ( 6)
7 ACC-COASTAL (A) = 75.96 75.78 ( 7) 7 75.83 ( 7)
8 PAC-12(SOUTH) (A) = 75.01 75.48 ( 8) 6 75.34 ( 8)
9 SEC-EAST (A) = 72.41 73.90 ( 9) 7 72.83 ( 9)
10 AAC WEST (A) = 67.87 68.15 ( 11) 6 68.06 ( 10)
11 I-A INDEPENDENTS (A) = 67.82 69.14 ( 10) 4 68.05 ( 11)
12 MWC-MOUNTAIN (A) = 64.76 64.99 ( 13) 6 64.87 ( 13)
13 AAC EAST (A) = 64.64 66.05 ( 12) 6 65.20 ( 12)
14 MAC-WEST (A) = 61.89 60.60 ( 14) 6 61.66 ( 14)
15 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 60.72 59.35 ( 15) 10 60.46 ( 15)
16 MWC-WEST (A) = 58.99 59.11 ( 16) 6 58.94 ( 16)
17 CONFERENCE USA-EAST (A) = 57.81 57.73 ( 17) 7 57.82 ( 17)
18 MAC-EAST (A) = 57.77 57.43 ( 18) 6 57.63 ( 18)
19 CONFERENCE USA-WEST (A) = 56.00 54.78 ( 20) 7 55.41 ( 19)
20 SUN BELT (A) = 54.80 55.77 ( 19) 12 55.35 ( 20)

Teams will leave their conference in a heartbeat for additional money. These rankings are meaningful when it comes to cash.

centennial
May 22nd, 2018, 01:25 AM
Also, judging from these responses, a productive offensive unit would in fact be a large surprise to most of the subdivision. I feel there is some real talent that was massively overshadowed by two phenomenal talents, and rightfully so. That being said, SDSU won’t be going from those two down to some guys who wouldn’t make the team for any other Valley schools. If you watch the first drive vs NDSU last year it was almost entirely the secondary receivers who were used to slice through a great ndsu defense, and you can certainly see the speed they have there. I’m thinking there will be a lot of shorter routes to try to let those guys do something in space rather than the long big hitters that were so crucial last year. Like I said, it’s something to watch.

When you have to double team a NFL TE and WR things change. Rest of your guys don't get as much attention. This is why a true WR1, TE1 is important for West Coast and Spread teams. SDSU uses both those concepts. I don't think SDSU will suddenly suck, but it won't be an offense that is P5 level. With the exception of JMU game, that SDSU offense could've arguably replaced a top 30 FBS team. It will regress to average'ish Valley offense this year.

JacksFan40
May 22nd, 2018, 08:52 AM
When you have to double team a NFL TE and WR things change. Rest of your guys don't get as much attention. This is why a true WR1, TE1 is important for West Coast and Spread teams. SDSU uses both those concepts. I don't think SDSU will suddenly suck, but it won't be an offense that is P5 level. With the exception of JMU game, that SDSU offense could've arguably replaced a top 30 FBS team. It will regress to average'ish Valley offense this year.
It’ll be a far more balanced offense, lot more running I think. Daniels showed flashes of being a great RB. Christon isn’t perfect but he’s definitely one of the top FCS QB’s.

Thumper 76
May 22nd, 2018, 11:34 AM

Well I guess we will just have to wait and see. I don’t think it will drop all the way to average. A drop off? Sure, probably. Would be crazy to not think there will be one. I just don’t think it will be as dramatic as people think. We still have TC, and I’m pretty sure he probably has the best win % vs NDSU out of any qb to play them more than once in the last 7 years. He’s not garbage by a long shot, and a good qb can take a team a long ways.

Redbird 4th & short
May 22nd, 2018, 01:04 PM
Well I guess we will just have to wait and see. I don’t think it will drop all the way to average. A drop off? Sure, probably. Would be crazy to not think there will be one. I just don’t think it will be as dramatic as people think. We still have TC, and I’m pretty sure he probably has the best win % vs NDSU out of any qb to play them more than once in the last 7 years. He’s not garbage by a long shot, and a good qb can take a team a long ways.

I like Christion a lot .. true dual threat, throws pretty well, can take a hit or take it 90 yards on you if you don't stay after him. I thought he was a notch behind Streveler and Stick, but the, next tier right up there with Maqguire. But losing 2 big productive targets like that is tough. I think RB Mangarelli was tough but replaceable. TE Goedert and 6'4" WR Weineke .. both big productive studs .. much taller order finding guys that big and talented ... passing will presumably need to be into much smaller catch radius with their replacements. Will gues SDSU offense will still be better than "average" for MVFC .. just not high octane on all fronts like last 2 years.

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 24th, 2018, 08:09 AM

Idaho has won 38 games in the last 10 seasons the only 2 seasons they were above .500 is 2009 (8-4) and 2016 (9-4) when a team is averaging 3.8 wins a season for a decade I dont see how that is going to change anytime soon. There isnt that big a talent drop off between the Sunbelt and the upper half of FCS. Winning is a culture and Idaho doesnt seem to have that culture.

I am glad they are back where they belong in the Big Sky Conference they are probably better than:
Northern Colorado
Sacramento State
Portland State
Idaho State
Cal Poly
Montana State

So the Vandals will only make the BSC stronger

MR. CHICKEN
August 6th, 2018, 11:29 AM
2018 surprise team: William & Mary

......BILL & MARE.......ARE PICKED 11th.....UH 12 CAA TEAMS.........OWN-LAH SURPRISE.......LAYCOCKE.......HAS GIVEN UP.....ON 'EM......xrolleyesx......BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
August 6th, 2018, 07:10 PM
Rhode Island was actually competitive this year, not sure who they have coming back though

Rhode WR’s actually look pretty good, they beat Nova so Delaware better not be counting Chickens

Catatonic
August 9th, 2018, 06:45 AM

UNA won’t struggle with the transition as much as ACU. The opportunity for ACU to move up came before ACU had funding in place. Scholarship and recruiting money were inadequate. As a result we didn’t offer 60 plus scholarships until 2017. We have been in effect playing with self imposed sanctions in place.

Seawolf97
August 9th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Stonybrook will make it back to the playoffs . Good depth at running back and now our receiving corps is top notch with the addition of Tyrone Wheatly Jr from Michigan . Our defense is solid again and special teams is solid.

skinny_uncle
August 10th, 2018, 05:40 AM
The 4 game losing streak at the end of the season was mostly connected to an injury to starting QB Sam Straub. He is back and seems healthy this fall.

AmsterBison
August 10th, 2018, 07:11 AM
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the University of San Clemente Spanish Inquisitors. Nobody ever expects them.

hoidOfYolen
August 10th, 2018, 12:30 PM
Stonybrook will make it back to the playoffs . Good depth at running back and now our receiving corps is top notch with the addition of Tyrone Wheatly Jr from Michigan . Our defense is solid again and special teams is solid.

I think this is the year that 7-4 in the CAA gets you into the playoffs with a hard schedule. However, I could Stony Brook going 6-5 with their schedule. Wins against Bryant, Fordham, Richmond, Towson, Rhode Island, and Albany can be kiiindof expected. But do you see SB winning against Villanova, UNH, JMU, or Delaware? If they do though we will likely have at least 5 teams go at least 7-4, and given how hard some of the schedules are this year I could see all 5 getting into the playoffs. Elon's schedule is difficult and if they win at least one from UNH, JMU, and Delaware I see them going 8-3 and getting into to the playoffs. I see Delaware winning 8 games and losing to UNH, but going to the playoffs.