PDA

View Full Version : 2018 MLB Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

bonarae
January 8th, 2018, 12:28 AM
This is the 2018 version of the MLB thread here on AGS. Post anything MLB-related here... xcoffeex

bonarae
January 8th, 2018, 12:40 AM
The big questions for 2018:

1. Will all of the big-name free agents have homes by the start of Spring Training?
2. Can another franchise win their first World Series in years or ever?
3. Will Shohei Ohtani make his MLB debut by the end of this season or is he totally overhyped at this point?
4. Will the number of game-related disciplinary actions be lessened this year? How about PED-related suspensions?

PaladinFan
January 8th, 2018, 04:52 AM
Just my guessing, but Atlanta's going to make news on this quiet hot stove. Two guesses:

1. Atlanta acquires Christian Yelich or JT Realmuto from Miami, or both.
2. Atlanta acquires Josh Donaldson from Toronto.

ngineer
January 14th, 2018, 11:30 PM
Will be interesting to see if the Phils make any moves for an 'established' starting pitcher to supplement the young guns they have at present. Commitments seem to be made to go with the youth at SS and RF. Most think Phils are another year away from contending, but adding a stud starter could change that.

bonarae
January 15th, 2018, 07:17 AM
MLB and MLBPA may meet about the DH in the NL in the foreseeable future.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/cardinals-exec-feels-there-is-momentum-for-bringing-the-dh-to-the-national-league/
(https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/cardinals-exec-feels-there-is-momentum-for-bringing-the-dh-to-the-national-league/)

Laker
January 15th, 2018, 07:40 AM

I really like it when this happens. Share the wealth. I love to see a franchise win for the first time. Cubs/Indians was great too- one was going to break a long streak.

caribbeanhen
January 15th, 2018, 08:01 AM

1. Will all of the big-name free agents have homes by the start of Spring Training?
3. Will Shohei Ohtani make his MLB debut by the end of this season or is he totally overhyped at this point?
4. Will the number of game-related disciplinary actions be lessened this year? How about PED-related suspensions?

I must've fallen for the hype because I just assumed the Japanese prospect was a sure bet for the majors right out of spring training

Gil Dobie
January 16th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Twinsfest is this weekend. Great place to meet the players (except Sano) and get autographs. All events at Target Field. Nice to just wander around and look at the bowls of the stadium. I'll miss this one, heading to Daytona Beach on Thursday.

bonarae
January 24th, 2018, 04:54 AM
Meanwhile...

Cooperstown Class of 2018 will be revealed tonight, 6 PM EST.

bonarae
January 24th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Cooperstown has 4 inductees by the voting process for this year: Chipper Jones, Vladimir Guerrero, Jim Thome and Trevor Hoffman.

Well-deserving batch.

cx500d
January 24th, 2018, 05:36 PM
Cooperstown has 4 inductees by the voting process for this year: Chipper Jones, Vladimir Guerrero, Jim Thome and Trevor Hoffman.

Well-deserving batch.

meh

TheValleyRaider
January 24th, 2018, 06:46 PM

Well-deserving batch.

Good choices, but Edgar Martinez should be there too

To say nothing of Bonds and Clemens...

Laker
January 24th, 2018, 07:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUV8SH9U0AAo2Zr.jpg:large

TheKingpin28
January 24th, 2018, 09:16 PM

Well-deserving batch.Excellent batch but I still don't get the Vlad love.

Chipper: Arguably the best outfielder in the last 20 years and the odds of seeing someone like him will lie in a Benitendi, Betts, Trout, etc... type of player.

Thome: In an era of steroids he was always clean and never mentioned in any report. Also, topping 500 dingers helps.

Hoffman: If it weren't for Rivera, he'd go down as the greatest closer this century.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
January 25th, 2018, 04:46 AM
Hard to believe Chipper Jones is now in the hall of fame. Braves fans watched him come up through the minors as a teenager and then play for the big club for 19 seasons.

The Braves are the first team with four first ballot hall of fame teammates who spent at least 10 years with the same club (Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux, Jones). Pretty special to have been able to watch those guys play for so many years.

I'm also a bit relieved to see Andruw Jones stay on the ballot. AJ may not eventually be in the HOF, but he's certainly a guy that is going to deserve more than one year of consideration due to voting quirks.

caribbeanhen
January 25th, 2018, 10:33 AM
Excellent batch but I still don't get the Vlad love.

Chipper: Arguably the best outfielder in the last 20 years and the odds of seeing someone like him will lie in a Benitendi, Betts, Trout, etc... type of player.

Thome: In an era of steroids he was always clean and never mentioned in any report. Also, topping 500 dingers helps.

Hoffman: If it weren't for Rivera, he'd go down as the greatest closer this century.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Chipper was a third baseman in my book

Edgar Martinez just didn't get enough seasons in Edgar Martinez just didn't get enough season in
not sure why I took the mariners so long to call him up

TheKingpin28
January 25th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Chipper was a third baseman in my book

Edgar Martinez just didn't get enough seasons in Edgar Martinez just didn't get enough season in
not sure why I took the mariners so long to call him up

****, how did I miss that? Seriously, I am actually trying to figure out why I typed that. I knew he played 3rd base, and yet I must have been thinking of Andruw Jones when I typed that. I should be more focused on work, then posting.

That said, 8 time All-Star, MVP, 2 time SS, Batting Champ. Oh and a WAR that sits at 85! 85!

Laker
January 25th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Baseball, not Hall of Fame related:

The Detroit Tigers announced that the Olde English D on their cap and their jersey will now match.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/956585156546002945

AshevilleApp2
January 25th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Baseball, not Hall of Fame related:

The Detroit Tigers announced that the Olde English D on their cap and their jersey will now match.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/956585156546002945

Might be the best Tigers news in 2018! Hopefully not, since they have the first pick in the draft.

TTUEagles
January 25th, 2018, 07:20 PM
Anyone have any advice on attending the Hall of Fame ceremony? Worth it? Easy to get there/get a seat/hotel there or Albany, etc.? Thanks!

PaladinFan
January 26th, 2018, 04:52 AM
****, how did I miss that? Seriously, I am actually trying to figure out why I typed that. I knew he played 3rd base, and yet I must have been thinking of Andruw Jones when I typed that. I should be more focused on work, then posting.

That said, 8 time All-Star, MVP, 2 time SS, Batting Champ. Oh and a WAR that sits at 85! 85!

He did play LF for a season or two to accommodate the signing of Vinny Castilla.

bonarae
January 26th, 2018, 11:33 PM
Meanwhile...

Lorenzo Cain and Christian Yelich join the Brew Crew on the same day. Watch out, Cubbies...

caribbeanhen
January 28th, 2018, 06:24 PM
Without looking, name two pitchers in the Milwaukee starting rotation.

Yep, I'm having some trouble with the question...

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, I'm having some trouble with the question...

PaladinFan
January 28th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Meanwhile...

Lorenzo Cain and Christian Yelich join the Brew Crew on the same day. Watch out, Cubbies...

Laker
January 29th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Cleveland to remove Chief Wahoo logo in 2019.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/sports/baseball/cleveland-indians-chief-wahoo-logo.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Gil Dobie
January 30th, 2018, 07:54 AM

Both would have been sure hall of famers had it not been for their connections to performance enhancing drugs. In 1990 congress passed the Anabolic Steroid Control Act. In 1991 MLB Commissioner Fay Vincent sent out a memo stating use of steroids was prohibited with threat of permanent expulsion. Even though neither tested positive, there is a lot of evidence linking them to steroid use, aka Balco Barry. Cheating is still cheating, Ben Johnson lost a gold medal, the Russians are losing an Olympics over this. The everybody did it argument doesn't wash with me either.

PaladinFan
January 31st, 2018, 10:02 AM
Both would have been sure hall of famers had it not been for their connections to performance enhancing drugs. In 1990 congress passed the Anabolic Steroid Control Act. In 1991 MLB Commissioner Fay Vincent sent out a memo stating use of steroids was prohibited with threat of permanent expulsion. Even though neither tested positive, there is a lot of evidence linking them to steroid use, aka Balco Barry. Cheating is still cheating, Ben Johnson lost a gold medal, the Russians are losing an Olympics over this. The everybody did it argument doesn't wash with me either.

And that's just it. Everyone didn't do it.

Chipper Jones came out of the same era and never once had his name connected with juicing. Same with Kid Griffey. Piazza, Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine, and Bagwell.

Sure, juicing was probably more common and accepted during that time, but it is certainly not as though every player was doing it. You have some unquestionable hall of famers never connected with it at all.

TheValleyRaider
January 31st, 2018, 04:52 PM

If MLB and/or the Hall actually had the guts to give them a ban, then fine. Do it, like Pete Rose. The evidence is strong enough, and as you say, the authority to do so certainly existed.

But no one, apparently, wants do that. Instead, this will just twist in the wind and making these two scapegoats for a larger issue people refuse to reconcile with. Instead, we have Hall voters playing "guardians of the game" selectively, depending on the person in question. And come on, Bonds' notoriously surly and entitled attitude absolutely plays a role in how people react to his cheating compared to others. The spitball has been illegal for decades, but somehow Gaylord Perry gets in the Hall.

I would use steroids as a tiebreaker for a borderline HOFer, someone close, but you could credibly argue would not have been there without the extra help. Bonds and Clemens, two of the best in the game's history, are being used as scapegoats. Their talents and stats had them at a HOF level before any credible evidence exists of either of them using.

And people absolutely accused Bagwell and Piazza of steroid use. There was no actual evidence, just idle chatter and gossip, but it was definitely out there for them. I'm glad both are in, they very much deserve it, but because we use folks like Bonds and Clemens as scapegoats, we don't have to actually deal with really thinking about the extent of steroid use in the game. How different will this conversation be when the candidates are Alex Rodriguez and Manny Ramirez, both of whom were suspended for PEDs during their career?

bonarae
January 31st, 2018, 06:19 PM
Meanwhile...

Should the steroid-accused players be left to the Modern Era Committee even for Hall consideration? xchinscratchx

caribbeanhen
February 1st, 2018, 04:26 PM
Anyone ready for baseball's top rated prospect Ronald Acuna?

this is one talented youngster

grizband
February 1st, 2018, 07:52 PM
Giants fan here...not sure what to expect, but less that excited when ESPN names your farm system one of the worst in baseball.

Gil Dobie
February 5th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Met Denny McLain, last 30 game winner in MLB, over the weekend. Had a good 2 hour plus talk with him. I bought his book and look forward to reading it. He was one of my favorite players back in the 1960's, before all the legal trouble started. He said that Willie Horton didn't go into the riots with his uniform on in 1967, and has other players to confirm it. Said he keeps telling Willie to stop talking about it. Also talked about grooving Mickey Mantle a HR pitch in 1968, near the end. From talking to Denny, he has a lot of admiration for Mantle.

PaladinFan
February 5th, 2018, 02:47 PM
Anyone ready for baseball's top rated prospect Ronald Acuna?

this is one talented youngster

If Acuna lives up to even a moderate level of his hype, the Braves will be in business.

AshevilleApp2
February 5th, 2018, 05:40 PM
Met Denny McLain, last 30 game winner in MLB, over the weekend. Had a good 2 hour plus talk with him. I bought his book and look forward to reading it. He was one of my favorite players back in the 1960's, before all the legal trouble started. He said that Willie Horton didn't go into the riots with his uniform on in 1967, and has other players to confirm it. Said he keeps telling Willie to stop talking about it. Also talked about grooving Mickey Mantle a HR pitch in 1968, near the end. From talking to Denny, he has a lot of admiration for Mantle.

Great pitcher for a couple of years, but I wouldn't trust him or anything he says. Particularly not near my retirement funds. :)

caribbeanhen
February 5th, 2018, 08:43 PM
Heard some talk of a players strike, havent researched it.... always easier to toss something out here so you guys can get me up to speed

bonarae
February 5th, 2018, 09:40 PM
Heard some talk of a players strike, havent researched it.... always easier to toss something out here so you guys can get me up to speed

Here is one good source: https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/2/4/16971696/mlb-players-union-spring-training-boycott-report-response-free-agent-market-collusion-labor-discord

Gil Dobie
February 6th, 2018, 07:39 AM
Great pitcher for a couple of years, but I wouldn't trust him or anything he says. Particularly not near my retirement funds. :)

or his silent partners that allegedly stepped on his foot, messing up the 1967 pennant. ;)

PaladinFan
February 6th, 2018, 08:25 PM

Essentially, the players are upset with the slow-moving free agent market. There are loose accusations of collusion between the owners that is causing depressed market prices.

Hard really to know who is to blame. A lot of teams are realizing that there is a viable model for rebuilding through total strip down (Cubs, Royals, Astros, etc.) So, you have a number of teams that are just completely unengaged in free agency this year (Atlanta, for instance, hasn't signed a single free agent).

When a sizeable portion of teams sit free agency out, the market is depressed. Contracts that were there a few years ago simply aren't there anymore. There is ample evidence that you don't have to give a 31 year old free agent a 7 year deal to win baseball games. You can win baseball games with a much younger and cheaper roster.

It seems like this offseason is just the culmination of a lot of stuff that was bound to collide. Teams are evaluating players differently than they used to, are more informed, and less likely to give out big deals to aging players. Baseball's free agency system, though, does not typically allow a player to test the market until their late 20s; that is, teams are getting a player's prime years at a discount.

bonarae
February 8th, 2018, 05:43 AM
Meanwhile...

The FAs who are still unsigned may get their own spring training facility...

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlbpa-reportedly-looking-into-spring-training-facility-for-unsigned-players/

Gil Dobie
February 8th, 2018, 07:11 AM
Meanwhile...

The FAs who are still unsigned may get their own spring training facility...

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlbpa-reportedly-looking-into-spring-training-facility-for-unsigned-players/

Sounds like Darvish got a formal offer from the Twins.

BisonBacker
February 8th, 2018, 08:46 AM
Good choices, but Edgar Martinez should be there too

Anyone on roids while they were playing should never get a sniff of Cooperstown!!!!! Unfortunately I know it will happen though but I totally disagree with it.

Gil Dobie
February 8th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Twins are only going after 1 starting pitcher.

Twins are looking at Napoli and Napoli is recruiting Darvish. Sounds like Darvish has several $100 million offers.
Twins also like Archer in a trade with Tampa, if Tampa is willing to trade.
Tim Lincecum comeback is on the radar.

Twins went the rest and recuperation route with Santana. Passed the physical during Twinsfest weekend, started throwing fastballs, no problem, then started throwing slider and it went south. According to Doogie, this is why he is having surgery now.

Not sure what will happen with Sano when he recovers from his injury.

Gil Dobie
February 8th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Looks like Iglesias and Castellanos might be moved by Detroit. Cabrera is signed thru 2023 with vesting options for 2024 & 25.

Gil Dobie
February 9th, 2018, 04:50 PM
Rumor is that JD Martinez has turned down 5 years for $125 million from maybe Boston. Great hitter, not so great fielder, and has not played a full season in a couple years. Darvish has been offered over $100 million by several teams. I don't see owner collusion, just players holding out for more, waiting for the Yankees or Dodgers to jump in.

bonarae
February 10th, 2018, 05:40 PM
Cubs get Yu Darvish on a 6 year deal...

Gil Dobie
February 10th, 2018, 08:45 PM
Cubs get Yu Darvish on a 6 year deal...

I don't think the Twins wanted to go 6 years with him.

Noryan34
February 12th, 2018, 10:31 AM
Rumor is that JD Martinez has turned down 5 years for $125 million from maybe Boston. Great hitter, not so great fielder, and has not played a full season in a couple years. Darvish has been offered over $100 million by several teams. I don't see owner collusion, just players holding out for more, waiting for the Yankees or Dodgers to jump in.

These players expecting 200m contracts is getting old. Martinez turning down 125m is something stupid. And rumor was hosmer had 7 year 150 million offer and he said no. Like wtf man your a light hitting 1B what do you expect?? I mean rumors are he was offered Adrian gonzaolez money and he turned it down.

PaladinFan
February 12th, 2018, 07:59 PM
These players expecting 200m contracts is getting old. Martinez turning down 125m is something stupid. And rumor was hosmer had 7 year 150 million offer and he said no. Like wtf man your a light hitting 1B what do you expect?? I mean rumors are he was offered Adrian gonzaolez money and he turned it down.

You are only worth what the market is willing to pay you.

Noryan34
February 13th, 2018, 08:45 AM
You are only worth what the market is willing to pay you.

This is true, But its not like these guys are getting crap offers. Take hosmer for example Fangraphs has him around 10 WAR for his career and baseball reference around 16. Say he increases production 20% over a 7 year contract. he would be expected to bring back 12-19 WAR. Going rate on a win is something like 7 million. So his range of salaries on a 7-year deal should be 84-152 million. And he is turning down 140 offers. Boras brought this on himself and his clients when he used to tought advanced metrics during FA negotiations and now that teams are wiser to the advanced analytics its coming back to bite him and his clients in the ass.

For JD martinez lets assume he ends up on an AL team so his defense isnt in play he is bringing back 13.5-17.5 WAR over last five years, him being 30 he probably peaking right now so 13-17 WAR is a high end assessment for return which would place his worth around 91-136 million. and he turned down 125.

Its not like these guys are being offered peanuts, they are being offered reasonable contracts at pretty reasonable valuations and turning it down.

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2018, 08:50 AM
This is true, But its not like these guys are getting crap offers. Take hosmer for example Fangraphs has him around 10 WAR for his career and baseball reference around 16. Say he increases production 20% over a 7 year contract. he would be expected to bring back 12-19 WAR. Going rate on a win is something like 7 million. So his range of salaries on a 7-year deal should be 84-152 million. And he is turning down 140 offers. Boras brought this on himself and his clients when he used to tought advanced metrics during FA negotiations and now that teams are wiser to the advanced analytics its coming back to bite him and his clients in the ass.

For JD martinez lets assume he ends up on an AL team so his defense isnt in play he is bringing back 13.5-17.5 WAR over last five years, him being 30 he probably peaking right now so 13-17 WAR is a high end assessment for return which would place his worth around 91-136 million. and he turned down 125.

Its not like these guys are being offered peanuts, they are being offered reasonable contracts at pretty reasonable valuations and turning it down.

I completely agree.

Martinez essentially cannot play for an NL team. He then limits his markets only to AL clubs with a hole at DH or potentially the corner OF. I mean, how many teams could their actually be that would potentially sign him, and how many of them are going to drive the asking price up where he wants it?

Noryan34
February 13th, 2018, 11:11 AM
I completely agree.

Martinez essentially cannot play for an NL team. He then limits his markets only to AL clubs with a hole at DH or potentially the corner OF. I mean, how many teams could their actually be that would potentially sign him, and how many of them are going to drive the asking price up where he wants it?

Yep. I get holding out for more but the risk of that is ending up having to accept a contract that is way less than initial offering. Mike Napoli comes to mind as a comparison he was worth around 17 WAR in the 5 years before his 3 yr 39m deal w/ Boston. I understand he had medical issues but essentially Martinez is turning down 3x the money Napoli got 5 years ago and there are close to the same player offensively.

AshevilleApp2
February 13th, 2018, 04:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr0wonW9u1A

Pitchers and Catchers report today!

Bisonator
February 15th, 2018, 01:43 PM
How can these guys scream collusion when there are offers for $100's of millions of dollars out there? JFC when is enough enough? Hope the fans stay away this time.

Noryan34
February 15th, 2018, 02:54 PM
How can these guys scream collusion when there are offers for $100's of millions of dollars out there? JFC when is enough enough? Hope the fans stay away this time.

The worst part is they did it to themselves in the last CBA. I read a good article on this I think Tom Verducci wrote it. Anyways it when on to say how the last two MLBPA leaders never allowed any language in the CBA that put a cap or limit on spending because they knew how it would go. This time the players wanted more "luxuries" like off days and clubhouse chefs. And to get it down they caved on things like the way the draft money pool works, international FA spending caps, and the soft luxury tax cap imposed on the MLB teams. All 3 of those things limit spending in some capacity and now it is affected veteran FAs.

But it is not like these guys are being offered nothingburgers. The contract offers are no longer overpays like they have been in the past.

ngineer
February 16th, 2018, 10:42 PM
Arrietta should be picked up soon. I keep thinking the Phils might bite the bullet and take a shot. They need a strong vet to help lead the babes in arms.

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2018, 07:31 AM
Arrietta should be picked up soon. I keep thinking the Phils might bite the bullet and take a shot. They need a strong vet to help lead the babes in arms.

I have been interested to watch the Phillies' moves.

The Phillies are, in my opinion, are a step behind the Braves in terms of young talent in the pipeline, but are seemingly making a push to contend in 2018. Atlanta, by contrast, appears largely willing to see what they have in the youngsters before making any big splashes in the free agent market.

PaladinFan
February 20th, 2018, 08:52 AM
Chipper Jones talked to media yesterday while working as a special instructor at Braves Spring Training.

He called Ronald Acuna as good a prospect as he's ever seen and far ahead where he was as a prospect. Everyone is drawing the comparison to Andruw Jones. Chipper said that Acuna is probably a step behind A. Jones in the outfield (of course, Jones was arguably the best defensive outfielder of the last 30 years and perhaps ever), but has more upside with the bat.

https://www.mlb.com/news/chipper-jones-praises-prospect-ronald-acuna/c-266715058

That's a lot of praise coming from a Hall of Famer. Every team has their top prospects, but Acuna is certainly being billed as a once-in-a-generation talent for Atlanta.

Gil Dobie
February 26th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Spring Training on the radio, getting close to the opener.

JSUSoutherner
March 1st, 2018, 09:06 PM
Braves changed their team colors. Their blue is now slightly darker.

It’s exactly what they need to win a game next year. Maybe they will actually be able to sell some tickets next year.

clenz
March 2nd, 2018, 08:25 AM

It’s exactly what they need to win a game next year. Maybe they will actually be able to sell some tickets next year.
What they need is a new stadium. This is the second year in their new home. It’s not as attractive anymore. I’m Atlanta sports years that stadium is already geriatric.

PaladinFan
March 2nd, 2018, 09:16 AM
What they need is a new stadium. This is the second year in their new home. It’s not as attractive anymore. I’m Atlanta sports years that stadium is already geriatric.

A few things. One, I'm not a huge fan of the new stadium, but according to this report from yesterday (https://www.myajc.com/sports/braves-percent-revenue-increase-called-astounding/m52KDKdL5qU80CHQxRYhjI/) the Braves revenue increased 47% in year 1 of SunTrust Park. That is an insane increase (especially considering the on-field product was not particularly impressive).

Say what you will, from a financial standpoint, the move already looks smart.

One thing that I think is underreported with respect to Turner Field is that it wasn't built as a baseball stadium. It was Olympic Stadium, built in 1996 to host the summer games. So, its not like Atlanta built a state of the art baseball stadium and then decided they didn't like it anymore. They built a single-use 100,000 seat venue that served a purpose for two weeks in the summer of 1996, and then re-purposed the same building to serve another need for the next 20 years.

Turner Field needed a major renovation, and a huge cost outlay to repair. It's in a crappy area of Atlanta with extremely limited ingress/egress. It needed to be fixed and the Braves wanted the opportunity to control their revenue, which the City of Atlanta did not want to give them (Atlanta owned all the parking, for instance).

While I don't love having the stadium in Cobb Co. and love even less the means to get it there, Atlanta needed a renovated facility, and if you were going to spend hundreds of millions to fix up Turner Field and still allow the City to take a massive share of potential revenue, why not spend a little more and control all of it? While 20 years seems like a short period of time, Fulton County Stadium was blown up after 30 years, so comparatively not that much longer. Turner Field is now on its third life as a football stadium.

PaladinFan
March 2nd, 2018, 09:20 AM

I imagine once these kids start matriculating to Atlanta, you'll see an energized fan base.

2018 may be a "see what we've got" season. I expect when Acuna and Soroka get to Atlanta, you may see the Braves make a play for one of the marquee free agents coming into next years class. You have this young team and then add, say, Manny Machado to the roster, you'll hit fever pitch.

PaladinFan
March 8th, 2018, 09:33 AM
Braves are going to leave Ronald Acuna in AAA to begin the season.

I think Acuna has to stay in the minors for maybe only two weeks to begin the year. The Braves will gain another full year of control over him. Given Acuna's insanely high ceiling, this is a no brainer. I imagine he will be up in Atlanta before the end of April.

AshevilleApp2
March 11th, 2018, 04:02 PM
I just read that Anibal Sanchez was released by the Twins today. By the terms of their contract, he gets a payout of $400,000. Combine that with the $5,000,000 the Tigers paid to buy his contract out this year, and he has a nice little severance package.

Nice work if you can get it. xnodx

bonarae
March 12th, 2018, 04:44 AM
Meanwhile...

Arrieta's now with the Phils...

Moose returned to KC for one more year...

Lynn will be in the Twin Cities for a year also...

How many big names are still on the board and may be Japan bound? xchinscratchx

Noryan34
March 13th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Meanwhile...

Arrieta's now with the Phils...

Moose returned to KC for one more year...

Lynn will be in the Twin Cities for a year also...

How many big names are still on the board and may be Japan bound? xchinscratchx

A few "big" names still on the board but not a lot of upside. Alex Cobb is about the only one left who might command a multi year deal. rest are ageing vets who might sign minor league or 1 year deals before or during the season

PaladinFan
March 14th, 2018, 03:47 AM
A few "big" names still on the board but not a lot of upside. Alex Cobb is about the only one left who might command a multi year deal. rest are ageing vets who might sign minor league or 1 year deals before or during the season

Greg Holland has been a pretty decent reliever that should command a multi-year deal.

PaladinFan
March 14th, 2018, 04:07 AM
At this point in spring training, Ronald Acuna is batting .412/.512/.618 with 2 homers and 4 stolen bases in 13 games.

The kid is going to be good.

BisonBacker
March 15th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Awesome no look pickoff play by Twins catcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=42&v=3JG-ZnnqSWw

PaladinFan
March 15th, 2018, 02:06 PM
That was a pretty impressive play by Astudillo. He has bounced around the minors a bit (including the Braves), but it is impressive just to get enough on that throw to make it to first base much less get a guy out.

Astudillo is actually kind of an interesting case study. He has the somewhat bizarre distinction of having an incredibly low strikeout rate. In 2,154 career plate appearances over 8 seasons in the minor leagues, Astudillo has struck out only 67 times.

PaladinFan
March 20th, 2018, 04:24 AM
Braves send Ronald Acuna to minor league camp, as everyone expected.

That is one of those difficult but easily to justify decisions. If Acuna spends two weeks in AAA, the Braves can control his rights for an entire year long than if he starts on the opening day roster. This problem is one I am sure the MLBPA will address in the next collective bargaining.

Acuna deserves to be on the opening day roster, but it makes complete sense for the Braves not to put him there. You exchance 2 weeks of his 20 year old season for an entire year of his 27 year old season.

ngineer
March 23rd, 2018, 09:53 PM
With the addition of Arrieta, the Phils have now moved into the "dark horse" category for making run at a wildcard. I think they are at least another year away from being a serious contender, though. It will be interesting to see if their youngsters can 'do it' for a full 162, or whether they go out and make a run at a major free agent, i.e. Harper or Trout. Regardless, they should be entertaining to watch this year.

PaladinFan
March 25th, 2018, 07:08 AM
With the addition of Arrieta, the Phils have now moved into the "dark horse" category for making run at a wildcard. I think they are at least another year away from being a serious contender, though. It will be interesting to see if their youngsters can 'do it' for a full 162, or whether they go out and make a run at a major free agent, i.e. Harper or Trout. Regardless, they should be entertaining to watch this year.

I also realize the Braves and Phils will play 9 times (I think) before the end of April.

PaladinFan
March 25th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Braves pick up Ryan Flaherty, who opted out of his deal with Philly.

Flaherty himself is not a big upgrade for the Braves, but if I am reading the tea leaves, his defensive versatility would allow the Braves to carry Chris Stewart as a third catcher and utilize Tyler Flowers/Kurt Suzuki as the primary bat off the bench.

ngineer
March 26th, 2018, 08:43 PM
I also realize the Braves and Phils will play 9 times (I think) before the end of April.

Just ordered tickets for the Phillies-Braves game on 5/23 at CBP. My annual Daddy-Daughter game with my,now, 38 year old daughter. We've been doing this since she was about 6. Spend the day in Philly doing a museum of her choice and then head to the park.

caribbeanhen
March 26th, 2018, 10:01 PM

I like the deal they gave Kingery, this kid deserves to be on the opening day roster, Arrieta has slipped the past few years to put it mildly but still helps the Phillies, will be interesting to see how much he misses pitching in Wrigley

PaladinFan
March 27th, 2018, 04:20 AM
I like the deal they gave Kingery, this kid deserves to be on the opening day roster, Arrieta has slipped the past few years to put it mildly but still helps the Phillies, will be interesting to see how much he misses pitching in Wrigley

Unique that there were two such deals in the MLB this week, including the Diamondbacks extending Ketel Marte. There is obviously some risk for the clubs and player, but I like giving a guy a little financial security and you are assured he is your player for most of his career.

I would love to see the Braves do something similar with Acuna.

PaladinFan
March 27th, 2018, 04:22 AM
Just ordered tickets for the Phillies-Braves game on 5/23 at CBP. My annual Daddy-Daughter game with my,now, 38 year old daughter. We've been doing this since she was about 6. Spend the day in Philly doing a museum of her choice and then head to the park.

Sounds like a fun day. My son is still too young to sit through an entire baseball game, so we stick to low cost options like High School games and driving over to see the Montgomery Biscuits. I'm not about to spend Atlanta Braves money to have him turn and ask me in the second inning when it will be over. :D

PaladinFan
March 30th, 2018, 05:14 AM
Nice comeback win for the Atlanta homestanders, roaring back from 5 down in the 6th inning.

Not sure it was a great opening act for Gabe Kapler. I know the Phillies are heavy into metrics, but he made some absolute headscratcher calls yesterday.

TheValleyRaider
March 30th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Having Giancarlo Stanton is awesome. That is all.

https://twitter.com/_dadler/status/979454167747104768

bonarae
March 30th, 2018, 07:21 AM
Meanwhile...

Kyle Schwarber looked lost in LF... maybe a case of the spring jitters? xconfusedx

And we can't wait to measure Ohtani's progress as a two way player. He collected his first hit already.

Bisonator
March 30th, 2018, 08:10 AM
Leave it to the Twins, strike out 4 batters in one inning but still give up 2 runs, come back to tie it in the ninth on a bloop single and then give up a walk off HR in the 11th.xsmhx

PaladinFan
March 30th, 2018, 08:26 AM
Meanwhile...

Kyle Schwarber looked lost in LF... maybe a case of the spring jitters? xconfusedx

And we can't wait to measure Ohtani's progress as a two way player. He collected his first hit already.

If only baseball would allow the pitchers to hit.

bonarae
March 30th, 2018, 05:13 PM
If only baseball would allow the pitchers to hit.

He will pitch on Sunday, as a starter. We'll see how the Angels and the A's will adjust their lineup.

PaladinFan
April 1st, 2018, 07:28 AM
Braves hammer the Phils en route to a series win.

The Phillies are a dark horse in the NL, having spent a bunch of money this offeseaon to speed up their rebuild. Gabe Kapler, had pretty much a nightmare series for his first go as manager. Using a heavily analytics/matchup based approach, he burned through his bullpen in game 1, and then essentially ran out of available releif pitchers by game 3.

Atlanta managed 13 of their first 15 runs without the use of the long ball. Interesting to see if the Braves offense turns into one of the “death by a thousand cuts” variety.

caribbeanhen
April 1st, 2018, 09:25 AM
Braves hammer the Phils en route to a series win.

The Phillies are a dark horse in the NL, having spent a bunch of money this offeseaon to speed up their rebuild. Gabe Kapler, had pretty much a nightmare series for his first go as manager. Using a heavily analytics/matchup based approach, he burned through his bullpen in game 1, and then essentially ran out of available releif pitchers by game 3.

Atlanta managed 13 of their first 15 runs without the use of the long ball. Interesting to see if the Braves offense turns into one of the “death by a thousand cuts” variety.

the Phillies used that money to sign Carlos Santana to play 1B, the natural position of Rhys Hoskins who goes out to LF ala Schwarber.... hmmmm

next big move is Jake over the Hill Arrieta, hmmmm

no closer

but still a very interesting team, gotta love Kingery

As for the Braves and last night, yes it seemed as though the were just trying to make contact and let the ball park and the Phillies work for them, new field is a canyon in CF and LF, RF is the launching pad....

PaladinFan
April 1st, 2018, 02:37 PM
the Phillies used that money to sign Carlos Santana to play 1B, the natural position of Rhys Hoskins who goes out to LF ala Schwarber.... hmmmm

next big move is Jake over the Hill Arrieta, hmmmm

no closer

but still a very interesting team, gotta love Kingery

As for the Braves and last night, yes it seemed as though the were just trying to make contact and let the ball park and the Phillies work for them, new field is a canyon in CF and LF, RF is the launching pad....

I said it a while ago, but only time will tell if the Phillies wisely opted to speed up their rebuild. I do think, though, that they can ill afford to take the mental approach the rest of this season the same way they did in the opening series. If you are committed to metrics-based decisions, and are willing to pull your starter early, you need to have some stoppers behind him.

The entire bullpen fiasco yesterday was embarrassing for an MLB team. I'd be surprised to see that sort of mistake at the high school level.

caribbeanhen
April 1st, 2018, 04:42 PM
I said it a while ago, but only time will tell if the Phillies wisely opted to speed up their rebuild. I do think, though, that they can ill afford to take the mental approach the rest of this season the same way they did in the opening series. If you are committed to metrics-based decisions, and are willing to pull your starter early, you need to have some stoppers behind him.

The entire bullpen fiasco yesterday was embarrassing for an MLB team. I'd be surprised to see that sort of mistake at the high school level.

Kapler is going to hear it from the Phillie faithful opening night, one thing is at least he is creating interest..... haha

bonarae
April 1st, 2018, 04:52 PM
Ohtani has had his ups and downs today. He struck out his first batter faced but he allowed an HR.

bonarae
April 2nd, 2018, 11:03 AM
Yes, Ohtani eventually got the W yesterday.

But April snow has struck baseball once again... Yankee Stadium is the victim this time around.

PaladinFan
April 2nd, 2018, 11:37 AM
Yes, Ohtani eventually got the W yesterday.

But April snow has struck baseball once again... Yankee Stadium is the victim this time around.

I ranted about this not long ago, but MLB has the most bizarre scheduling to the point of idiocy.

For instance, in April the Braves play at Colorado, at Cincinnati, and at Chicago Cubs. That is the only visit all season for the Braves in those cities. All three are notoriously bad weather in April.

I have no idea why the MLB insists on scheduling a team to visit a cold weather city in April for their only appearance. Most teams can work around rain, but a snowstorm is impossible. Why not send a division opponent to these parks - teams that will return 9 or 10 times the rest of the season and can easily fit in a double header?

The Braves have several times been snowed out in Colorado. That requires Atlanta to make a pitstop on a west coast travel day to make up a game in Denver.

PaladinFan
April 4th, 2018, 03:45 AM
Braves hit 13 run mark for second time in 3 games. Not sure I would have seen that coming.

PaladinFan
April 5th, 2018, 06:19 AM
A week into the season and the Braves have the top offense in baseball. Didn't see that coming.

Laker
April 5th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Twins home opener is scheduled for today. The current topic is why they don't have a retractable roof. I read an article today on how much the sports venues in Minnesota cost. Taxpayers kicked in 56% of the cost.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/04/04/reality-check-minnesota-stadiums/

bonarae
April 5th, 2018, 09:50 AM
By the way, Ohtani is for real. He has hit 3 HRs as a DH as well as a W as a pitcher -- so far.

Can this be the year Anaheim is going to really challenge the Texas teams in the pennant race?

bonarae
April 6th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Meanwhile...

Ohtani will only pitch once every seven days, with an off-day in between games pitching and DHing and vice versa.

Can Arrieta display no sign of slowing down now that he's in a new organization?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 7th, 2018, 11:35 PM
The Phillies showed some serious life tonight by pounding the Marlins 20-1!

MR. CHICKEN
April 8th, 2018, 08:52 AM
.....UH.........T'WAS....DUH MARLINS...xrolleyesx....AWK!

...........LADS ON DUH RECAP SHOW.......CALLED 'EM.....UH DOUBLE AA TEAM...AT BEST........BROUGHT UH CATCHER INTA PITCH......DID BETTERAH....DAN STARTER.....INCLUDIN'...UH K....ON HOSKINS.....xsighx....BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
April 8th, 2018, 10:37 AM
.....UH.........T'WAS....DUH MARLINS...xrolleyesx....AWK!

...........LADS ON DUH RECAP SHOW.......CALLED 'EM.....UH DOUBLE AA TEAM...AT BEST........BROUGHT UH CATCHER INTA PITCH......DID BETTERAH....DAN STARTER.....INCLUDIN'...UH K....ON HOSKINS.....xsighx....BRAWK!

I saw some beach balls foatin up to home plate Mr chicken.... Phillies didnt miss em though, but the Marlins pitchers last night only in the majors because they play for the Marlins

PaladinFan
April 9th, 2018, 04:52 AM
Braves take 2 of 3 in Denver.

Been a while since I’ve seen Atlanta look this good on the diamond. Let’s hope they can keep it up.

bonarae
April 9th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Ohtani looks to be a serious two-way player in his two very good performances on the mound and also in his display of bat power.

PaladinFan
April 9th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Ohtani looks to be a serious two-way player in his two very good performances on the mound and also in his display of bat power.

I will say that over the years I have taken very much a "wait and see" approach with Japanese players coming over to the MLB. Many have come over with great fanfare, but really only a few have been long term impact players.

Just as an observation, it can often take the league a season to adjust these immediate entrants immigrating to the league. Most never came up through the minors, so no one has really ever seen them much less played against them.

That's to take nothing away from Ohtani, who looks like the real deal. I'm interested to see whether he can keep up a torrid pace once the league catches up to him a bit.

bonarae
April 9th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Meanwhile...

The White Sox were still allowed to play, but the Cubs were not... and both had home games scheduled today. xchinscratchx

Laker
April 12th, 2018, 09:59 PM
Joe Mauer's 2000th hit is in red.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DaoV_-KVQAAWng3.jpg

caribbeanhen
April 13th, 2018, 04:43 AM
Jose Berrios curve looks like a whiffle ball..... dominated the Whitesox last night

Drblankstare
April 13th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Congrats to Mauer, I dont think he will ever truly be appreciated as he should be. The lack of Home runs and the fact that the Twins more than likely wont win a World Series with him, is what most people will remember.

caribbeanhen
April 14th, 2018, 06:32 AM
ok, when are the Braves going to call up Acuna....

Albies and Swanson starting to settle in, they could put some roots down in Atlanta for years to come, ala Whitaker and Trammel...

Bisonator
April 14th, 2018, 10:51 AM
MLB has to figure out a better fricking schedule than this ****. Give the Twins a 10 game homestand in early April? Now half the games will need to be rescheduled!xsmhx

caribbeanhen
April 14th, 2018, 12:08 PM
MLB has to figure out a better fricking schedule than this ****. Give the Twins a 10 game homestand in early April? Now half the games will need to be rescheduled!xsmhx

they are playing some ball games down here In Puerto Rico next week, would of been a nice homecoming for Berrios

bonarae
April 14th, 2018, 09:01 PM

I think the weather didn't cooperate with MLB's scheduling plans. Too many delays set in April already. I don't think they have tracked such records... xchinscratchx

Something better of a suggestion for future seasons... make the northern teams play south until around mid to late April at best.

MR. CHICKEN
April 14th, 2018, 10:22 PM
......DERE GOES....DUH EXTRA OFF DAYS.....PLAYERS BARGAINED FO'.......xsighx.....AWK!

PaladinFan
April 15th, 2018, 06:51 AM

The Braves started in Atlanta, and then have had a three city road swing through Denver, Washington, and Chicago. They've been playing in subfreezing temps and competed in absolutely miserable conditions yesterday at Wrigley.

caribbeanhen
April 15th, 2018, 08:14 AM
The Braves started in Atlanta, and then have had a three city road swing through Denver, Washington, and Chicago. They've been playing in subfreezing temps and competed in absolutely miserable conditions yesterday at Wrigley.

maybe Al Gore made the MLB sked.... opps sorry, no need to bring the politcal crap onto the MLB boards

anyway, even though the Braves were up 10-2, that sure was a fun game yesterday.... will be remembered for a long time

caribbeanhen
April 15th, 2018, 03:51 PM
they are playing some ball games down here In Puerto Rico next week, would of been a nice homecoming for Berrios

who knew.... Twins vs Indians Tuesday and Wednesday night from San Juan, Puerto Rico

Jose Berrios pitching Wed night......

PaladinFan
April 17th, 2018, 06:08 AM
NL East looking stronger than expected halfway through April.

Impressed with Atlanta's 9-6 start considering the competition. The Braves have only faced potential playoff teams to this point. In fact, I think beyond a four game set at the Reds, Atlanta will only see playoff contenders throughout April.

I said at the outset, if the Braves can survive April and go about .500, they will be well positioned. Gohara should return in May and an Acuna call up could be any day.

PaladinFan
April 17th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Braves 2B Ozzie Albies is the youngest player in the MLB and looking every bit an all star.

He scored the game winning run last night and, according to statcast, hit 30 feet per second down the third base line. That's Billy Hamilton territory in terms of straight line speed.

caribbeanhen
April 17th, 2018, 04:16 PM
NL East looking stronger than expected halfway through April.

Impressed with Atlanta's 9-6 start considering the competition. The Braves have only faced potential playoff teams to this point. In fact, I think beyond a four game set at the Reds, Atlanta will only see playoff contenders throughout April.

I said at the outset, if the Braves can survive April and go about .500, they will be well positioned. Gohara should return in May and an Acuna call up could be any day.

Acuna off to a slow start in AAA.... only a matter of time

Mike Soroka is lights out so far though..... only 20 years old himself

Laker
April 18th, 2018, 10:57 AM
First, CNN reports a island wide electrical outage that won't be fixed from 24 to 36 hours. Now the mayor of San Juan says that the Twins-Indians game is still on.

WCCO Radio‏Verified account @wccoradio (https://twitter.com/wccoradio) 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/wccoradio/status/986633228487413762)More

WCCO Radio Retweeted Carmen Yulín Cruz
San Juan's mayor says there will be baseball tonight despite a serious power outage in Puerto Rico#MNTwins (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MNTwins?src=hash)https://abs.twimg.com/hashflags/MinnesotaTwins2018/MinnesotaTwins2018.png (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MNTwins?src=hash) #PuertoRicoSeries (https://twitter.com/hashtag/PuertoRicoSeries?src=hash)

PaladinFan
April 18th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Braves sign Jose Bautista to a minor league deal to play 3B. He will report to extended spring training.

While Joey Bats is past his prime, I am inclined to think that the Braves are making a low risk signing here for a potential pinch hitter.

Reading the tea leaves, but if Bautista has some left in the tank, Atlanta can use three catchers, pinch hit Flowers/Suzuki and then have Bautista/Carmago/Flaherty as options off the bench. That wouldn't be the worst thing.

dewey
April 18th, 2018, 10:50 PM
Twins and Indians in a pitcher's dual right now. 1-1 in the bottom of the 15th inning.

26 innings is the MLB record and 25 innings is the American league record.

Go Twins!

Dewey

Laker
April 18th, 2018, 10:51 PM
Twins and Indians in a pitcher's dual right now. 1-1 in the bottom of the 15th inning.

26 innings is the MLB record and 25 innings is the American league record.

Go Twins!

Dewey

Mauer is up. Two outs. No one on. Here comes a single!

Laker
April 18th, 2018, 10:53 PM
Mauer is up. Two outs. No one on. Here comes a single!

I called that one!

dewey
April 18th, 2018, 10:55 PM
I called that one!

Good call sir!

Dewey

dewey
April 18th, 2018, 10:57 PM
Wild pitch gets Mauer to 2nd and then a throwing error by the catcher gets Mauer to 3rd.

Come on Sano!

Dewey

Laker
April 18th, 2018, 10:59 PM
And to the 16th.

dewey
April 18th, 2018, 11:00 PM
This Twins game is now the 17th longest in franchise history.

http://twinstrivia.com/2015/09/17/the-twins-longest-games-in-terms-of-innings-played/

Edit. Going to top of the 16th.

Dewey

dewey
April 18th, 2018, 11:01 PM
Now the 12th longest game in Twins history.

Dewey

dewey
April 18th, 2018, 11:08 PM
Interestingly the 1st, 9th, 11th and 16th longest Twins games are against the Cleveland Indians.

Dewey

dewey
April 18th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Happy birthday (Eastern time) Joe Mauer!

Dewey https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180419/bfaff1c1b30ed98253068e00d86bd7d0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dewey
April 18th, 2018, 11:15 PM
Leadoff single by Rosario in the bottom of the 16th.

Dewey

dewey
April 18th, 2018, 11:18 PM
Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180419/99b0dae417b4896dd80bd22721f61195.jpg

dewey
April 18th, 2018, 11:21 PM
An error by the 2nd baseman which would have been a double play advances Rosario to 3rd and Morrison at 1st.

Do I cheer for a longer game and closer to the club record or the win now?

Dewey

dewey
April 18th, 2018, 11:24 PM
TWINS WIN!

Ryan LaMarre singles in Rosario and the Twins win 2-1 in 16.

Game started on Wednesday and ended on Thursday.

Game time 5 hours and 14 minutes.

Good night all.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 19th, 2018, 12:22 AM
The Phils can't beat, or score on, Atlanta. The Braves take 2 of 3 to continue their mastery of the Phils so far this year. The Phightin's now head home for a 4 game series with the Pirates.

Thumper 76
April 19th, 2018, 01:34 AM

The Twinks could have had half a brain and built a stadium like Milwaukee’s. You’re in ****ing Minnesota. How in the blue hell does a city have indoor football but outdoor baseball? Dumbasses IMO and they get what they were begging for when they built the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonarae
April 19th, 2018, 04:21 AM
Meanwhile...

The Cardinals can't sweep just yet... Chicago has had its share of bad spring weather so far. xsmhx

PaladinFan
April 19th, 2018, 04:48 AM
The Phils can't beat, or score on, Atlanta. The Braves take 2 of 3 to continue their mastery of the Phils so far this year. The Phightin's now head home for a 4 game series with the Pirates.

Bittersweet win for the Braves. Freddie Freeman took a pitch off the wrist again in the same spot that caused a break and him to miss 44 games last season. No report on the diagnosis yet.

Freeman is open about wanting to play 162 every year. He’s that type of player. To watch him get hit and simply walk off the field was not particularly encouraging.

As for the game, the Braves continue to play well. Ryan Flaherty, who the Phils cut loose this spring, is leading the national league in hitting.

bonarae
April 19th, 2018, 08:56 AM
The Reds were the first to let go of their Opening Day manager after sputtering to a 3-15 start.

PaladinFan
April 19th, 2018, 09:35 AM
The Reds were the first to let go of their Opening Day manager after sputtering to a 3-15 start.

Of all the managers in the league, his seat was the hottest before the season started.

Bisonator
April 19th, 2018, 10:09 AM
The Twinks could have had half a brain and built a stadium like Milwaukee’s. You’re in ****ing Minnesota. How in the blue hell does a city have indoor football but outdoor baseball? Dumbasses IMO and they get what they were begging for when they built the place.

Yeah well a few scheduling tweaks would solve a lot of the early season issues. It's not like there aren't other options. Why the hell have Houston play at MN in April???xsmhx

dewey
April 19th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Yeah well a few scheduling tweaks would solve a lot of the early season issues. It's not like there aren't other options. Why the hell have Houston play at MN in April???xsmhx

This is also a very abnormal spring or end of winter.

As for the Twins not doing a retractable roof like Miller Park. Great question Thumper. IIRC it all came down to the cost of the retractable roof. Getting games postponed is one thing but when they only draw a few thousand fans for early cold April days it makes me wonder if top stadium officials regret their decision.

The wifey and I bought two tickets off stubhub this past Sunday morning knowing the game wpuld get postponed.

Great seats for cheap in mid August now. Woo hop!

Dewey

PaladinFan
April 19th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Acuna off to a slow start in AAA.... only a matter of time

Mike Soroka is lights out so far though..... only 20 years old himself

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/4/19/17256162/atlanta-braves-2018-first-look-and-thoughts-on-mike-soroka

Soroka has carved up the IL through 3 starts. He's the third youngest player in the league. Right now, he looks every bit like ace potential.

Thumper 76
April 19th, 2018, 06:08 PM
This is also a very abnormal spring or end of winter.

As for the Twins not doing a retractable roof like Miller Park. Great question Thumper. IIRC it all came down to the cost of the retractable roof. Getting games postponed is one thing but when they only draw a few thousand fans for early cold April days it makes me wonder if top stadium officials regret their decision.

The wifey and I bought two tickets off stubhub this past Sunday morning knowing the game wpuld get postponed.

Great seats for cheap in mid August now. Woo hop!

Dewey

I mean, I feel you’d make way more money off your early season tickets when people KNOW there will be a game pretty much no matter what.

caribbeanhen
April 19th, 2018, 08:50 PM
First, CNN reports a island wide electrical outage that won't be fixed from 24 to 36 hours. Now the mayor of San Juan says that the Twins-Indians game is still on.

WCCO Radio‏Verified account @wccoradio (https://twitter.com/wccoradio) 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/wccoradio/status/986633228487413762)More

WCCO Radio Retweeted Carmen Yulín Cruz
San Juan's mayor says there will be baseball tonight despite a serious power outage in Puerto Rico#MNTwins (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MNTwins?src=hash)https://abs.twimg.com/hashflags/MinnesotaTwins2018/MinnesotaTwins2018.png (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MNTwins?src=hash) #PuertoRicoSeries (https://twitter.com/hashtag/PuertoRicoSeries?src=hash)

the San Juan mayor, basically had her power grid rebuilt for free and all she does in bitch and complain that the US is not doing enough .... Twins should have a few more down here....haha

dewey
April 19th, 2018, 09:58 PM
I mean, I feel you’d make way more money off your early season tickets when people KNOW there will be a game pretty much no matter what.

I would think that the cost vs benefit analysis (retractable roof vs reduced ticket sales) would be fairly easy to do if you are the Twins and the design firm.

However trying to figure out how many people show up per temperature range would be tough. Not too mention that this April is considerably colder than the average April.

Perhaps they did the cost vs benefit analysis. I do not recall.

Dewey

PaladinFan
April 20th, 2018, 08:03 AM
Braves thump the previously red hot Mets 12-4. Atlanta is one of MLB's best stories to this point. They are 11-7 and have the NL's top offense right now.

That is all the more impressive considering they have put up those numbers playing nothing but playoff contenders to this point. Atlanta won't see a rebuilding team until the middle of next week against the Reds.

caribbeanhen
April 20th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Braves thump the previously red hot Mets 12-4. Atlanta is one of MLB's best stories to this point. They are 11-7 and have the NL's top offense right now.

That is all the more impressive considering they have put up those numbers playing nothing but playoff contenders to this point. Atlanta won't see a rebuilding team until the middle of next week against the Reds.

Dont forget about the Phillies

Jake Arrieta was dominant last night

but something is brewing up in South Philly

PaladinFan
April 20th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Dont forget about the Phillies

Jake Arrieta was dominant last night

but something is brewing up in South Philly

True, but to a lesser degree. The Phils are 2-6 against Atlanta and New York. They've played 9 against the Reds, Marlins, and Rays, arguably the 3 worst teams in the MLB.

Atlanta has the same record, but has beaten the Phillies four times and instead of the Reds, Marlins, and Rays has played the Nationals, Rockies, and Cubs.

TTUEagles
April 20th, 2018, 07:27 PM
True, but to a lesser degree. The Phils are 2-6 against Atlanta and New York. They've played 9 against the Reds, Marlins, and Rays, arguably the 3 worst teams in the MLB.

Atlanta has the same record, but has beaten the Phillies four times and instead of the Reds, Marlins, and Rays has played the Nationals, Rockies, and Cubs.

Paladin,
You had $100 on Wisler going 7 last night, didn't you!!!!!

PaladinFan
April 21st, 2018, 05:39 AM
Paladin,
You had $100 on Wisler going 7 last night, didn't you!!!!!

If Wisler can finally reach his potential, we will be in high cotton.

I think the Braves rebuild has taken longer than expected largely because Wisler and Blair have failed to even remotely meet expectations. There were some scouts two years ago that thought Blair was better than Shelby Miller straight up (much less Blair, Inciarte, and Swanson). Hasn’t been the case to this point.

MR. CHICKEN
April 21st, 2018, 07:06 AM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27461&stc=1...........PHIGHTIN'S........HAVE TAKEN FIRST TWO....FROM.....CENTRAL DIV.....LEADER.....BUCCOS......SO SOMETIMES....WE CAN PLAY...WHIFF DUH BIG BOYZ........AWK!

caribbeanhen
April 21st, 2018, 08:12 AM

Phils one game up where it counts, they gained some needed confidence by beating up on the horrid Reds Marlins and Rays, yep, dont sleep on the Phils

you have to love Cesar Hernandez, the underrated 2B, he is locked in right now, Kingery has played 3B, SS and OF, thats how good Hernandez is and I love Kingery

should be very interesting in this division this year.... Mets have the 2 aces on the table looking healthy in DeGroom and Synderarden and of course the Nats will be there

Marlins are an embarrasment... at least nobody in Miami will see them play...

bonarae
April 22nd, 2018, 03:30 AM
Are no-nos and perfectos becoming a rarity these days at any level of organized baseball? xchinscratchx

The Red Sox's hitting streak came to a screeching halt when they were the victims of a no-no by Sean Manaea and the A's.

PaladinFan
April 22nd, 2018, 06:32 AM
Phils one game up where it counts, they gained some needed confidence by beating up on the horrid Reds Marlins and Rays, yep, dont sleep on the Phils

you have to love Cesar Hernandez, the underrated 2B, he is locked in right now, Kingery has played 3B, SS and OF, thats how good Hernandez is and I love Kingery

should be very interesting in this division this year.... Mets have the 2 aces on the table looking healthy in DeGroom and Synderarden and of course the Nats will be there

Marlins are an embarrasment... at least nobody in Miami will see them play...

Outside of the Marlins, it looks like a really competitive division. Washington still has the most talent, but is prone to self-destruct. I am coming around to the idea that the Phils, Braves, and Mets may be fighting it out for a wild card spot.

I am realizing that Atlanta may well be a lot better than expected. Starting pitching has been there, the bats have been there, and they have faced some extremely tough pitching to this point. Not sure many teams have already seen the back to back duos of Scherzer/Strasburg and Syndergaard/deGrom.

In a weird twist, Ryan Flaherty, who the Phillies cut at the end of spring training, is leading the NL in hitting. He’s been phenomenal.

caribbeanhen
April 22nd, 2018, 07:51 AM
Outside of the Marlins, it looks like a really competitive division. Washington still has the most talent, but is prone to self-destruct. I am coming around to the idea that the Phils, Braves, and Mets may be fighting it out for a wild card spot.

I am realizing that Atlanta may well be a lot better than expected. Starting pitching has been there, the bats have been there, and they have faced some extremely tough pitching to this point. Not sure many teams have already seen the back to back duos of Scherzer/Strasburg and Syndergaard/deGrom.

In a weird twist, Ryan Flaherty, who the Phillies cut at the end of spring training, is leading the NL in hitting. He’s been phenomenal.

I don't want to brag but I told my wife, watch now, Incarite is going to bunt to the 1B side.........Braves win!

yep, 4 team race is what I see... I'll get more excited about the Braves when Acuna and the Brazilian Lefty are on the roster

PaladinFan
April 22nd, 2018, 02:53 PM
I don't want to brag but I told my wife, watch now, Incarite is going to bunt to the 1B side.........Braves win!

yep, 4 team race is what I see... I'll get more excited about the Braves when Acuna and the Brazilian Lefty are on the roster

I think everyone in the stadium, including New York, knew Inciarte was going to try and lay one down. Effectively he only has to keep the ball away from the pitcher and hope that the throw home is something less than perfect. Even then, it would take a really impressive play to gun down a streaking Carmago.

Not sure I completely agree with how Mickey Callaway played it. His pitcher wasn't throwing strikes, which was a problem, but if I am running that inning I would have walked Inciarte to load the bases. That would have kept the double play and given the defense more options and a force out at 3rd and home.

Granted, Familia was all over the place and easily could have walked in the winning run, but I think you have to take that chance. It puts the defense in a virtually unwinnable position to have to keep a man on third from scoring with 0 outs.

Either way, that was some fun baseball to watch. I especially enjoy watching managers try to go lefty/lefty with Freddie Freeman and watching him unload on them.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 22nd, 2018, 04:13 PM
Phils complete a 4 game sweep of the Buccos with an 11 inning thriller!! Bring on the D'backs!!

caribbeanhen
April 22nd, 2018, 06:54 PM
Phils complete a 4 game sweep of the Buccos with an 11 inning thriller!! Bring on the D'backs!!

14 and 7, and just like that Kapler silences the critics..... for now anyway

bonarae
April 22nd, 2018, 07:53 PM
Meanwhile...

26 weather related postponements before April's end? Wow. A new record that may still extend.

And... Belt had a 21 pitch AB.... That's how the pitchers of today get tired quite quicker...

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
April 23rd, 2018, 04:33 AM
Meanwhile...

26 weather related postponements before April's end? Wow. A new record that may still extend.

And... Belt had a 21 pitch AB.... That's how the pitchers of today get tired quite quicker...

I can live with rainouts. That’s baseball. What bugs me are the single visit trips in early April in cold weather cities.

Braves have to fly back up to Chicago from Miami to make up a single came on what should be a travel day. They will then fly back to Atlanta and play the Cubs again for three.

PaladinFan
April 23rd, 2018, 04:35 AM
14 and 7, and just like that Kapler silences the critics..... for now anyway

Just my take, but I am surprised that Kapler has tried a lot of these new strategies with the Phillies. Philadelphia was a playoff hopeful and has (admittedly) one of the league’s most fickle fan bases. That seems like a bad mix for a brand new manager trying unorthdox strategies that have (in my view) directly lead to losses.

Seems like the Kapler experiment would have been better served on a small payroll/market team without playoff aspirations.

Phils are playing well, though, but I imagine the criticism will crop up again the next time Kapler makes an unorthodox move that costs a game.

MR. CHICKEN
April 23rd, 2018, 07:38 AM
Just my take, but I am surprised that Kapler has tried a lot of these new strategies with the Phillies. Philadelphia was a playoff hopeful and has (admittedly) one of the league’s most fickle fan bases. That seems like a bad mix for a brand new manager trying unorthdox strategies that have (in my view) directly lead to losses.

Seems like the Kapler experiment would have been better served on a small payroll/market team without playoff aspirations.

Phils are playing well, though, but I imagine the criticism will crop up again the next time Kapler makes an unorthodox move that costs a game.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27484&stc=1.......WINNIN'....CURES ALL.....AN' PHILLY PHANS DON'T CARE HOW........KAPLER'S ANALYTICAL STYLE....KEEPIN' PLAYERS FRESH AN' RESTED....PLAYIN' 'EM.....IN SPOTS.....FOR PERCENTAGES........HAVIN' PLAYERS TAKE PITCHERS INTA DEEP COUNTS......SO FAR......EQUAL W's!.....( uh style conducive..TA...sweater knittin'..while watchin')...PHIGHTIN'S TEAM BATTIN' AVERAGE....UH WEAK .230......WE'RE 14-7....HALF GAME OUTTAH 1st......ON BASE % .325 RANKS 5th IN NL.......CARLOS SANTANA....IN PHILLY TA TEACH HITTERS PATIENCE....IS BATTIN' MIGHTY .151....NOT GOOD FO' #2 HITTER IN LINE-UP.......BUT......HIS ON BASE %....OVERAH .300.....16 BOB's AGIN 14 K's....IT'S ABOUT.....GETTIN' PITCHERS TIRED......PHILS.....HAVE WON LOTTAH ONE RUN GAMES......DIS WAY......WHEN BATS GO SILENT......AWK!

bonarae
April 24th, 2018, 11:57 PM
Acuna is finally getting his call-up. Breaking News just now.

PaladinFan
April 25th, 2018, 07:30 AM
Acuna is finally getting his call-up. Breaking News just now.

Braves fans have been waiting for this for several years.

Acuna is pretty much unanimously viewed as the top prospect in baseball. He's 20 years old and has annihilated every level he's played. That's impressive in itself, but even moreso considering he's much younger than virtually everyone he competes against. He's a true five tool player.

Of course, it is always wait-and-see, but the ceiling on Acuna is superstar. Some scouts call him the best positional prospect they've ever seen.

That's a lot of high praise, and there will certainly be growing pains, but the cavalry is finally arriving for the Braves.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
April 25th, 2018, 09:30 PM
Arrieta pitched a really good game as the Phils take game 2 against Arizona. Altherr had a huge 3 run HR....

PaladinFan
April 26th, 2018, 04:59 AM
Nice opening game for Acuna. Two deep fly balls, his first hit, goes first to third on a single to left and then scores the game tying run.

With all the Acuna fanfare, it was easy to overlook Ozzie Albies, though. Albies cracked his 7th homerun, which ties the diminutive infielder with Aaron Judge, among others.

Albies also beat out infield single with sprint speed of 30.2 ft/sec. That’s “fastest man in the game” territory. It took him 3.94 seconds to get to first from the right handed batter’s box. That’s insane.

PaladinFan
April 26th, 2018, 07:41 AM
Braves appear ready to add Jose Bautista and Tyler Flowers to the MLB roster. Bautista is slated to be the starting 3B.

If Bautista is even a shadow of his former self, the Braves could sport a pretty potent offense.

PaladinFan
April 26th, 2018, 12:00 PM
1st AB today and Acuna goes tater. https://twitter.com/DFSchat/status/989548205825187840

Upper deck at GABP. Doubled in the go ahead run later in the game. Ozzie Albies goes yard again for his 8th homer, setting an Atlanta Braves records with extra base hits in April (18).

caribbeanhen
April 26th, 2018, 07:02 PM
1st AB today and Acuna goes tater. https://twitter.com/DFSchat/status/989548205825187840

Upper deck at GABP. Doubled in the go ahead run later in the game. Ozzie Albies goes yard again for his 8th homer, setting an Atlanta Braves records with extra base hits in April (18).

the Braves are back.... the home run by Acuna today is a must see, yep, he got a fat pitch but he did not miss any of it..... you mentioned it but very impressed with his hustle last night when he went to third on that single, the LFielder must of been a bit suprised as you dont see that to much

PaladinFan
April 26th, 2018, 08:06 PM
the Braves are back.... the home run by Acuna today is a must see, yep, he got a fat pitch but he did not miss any of it..... you mentioned it but very impressed with his hustle last night when he went to third on that single, the LFielder must of been a bit suprised as you dont see that to much

Acuna can really run. He’s expected to be a gold glover outfielder.

The ball comes off his bat like a cannon shot.

Laker
April 26th, 2018, 10:43 PM
Twins get swept by the Damn Yankees. Up 3-0 and lose it in the bottom of the 9th on a home run.

Crap.

caribbeanhen
April 27th, 2018, 03:18 PM
Twins get swept by the Damn Yankees. Up 3-0 and lose it in the bottom of the 9th on a home run.

Crap.

saw that, I hope Berrios is ok, he kept shaking his right arm like he had a spider crawl sensastion in his last start, his velocity looked good though....

Laker
April 28th, 2018, 07:00 AM
I was at the four hour long Twins loss to the Reds. Miserable windy night. Terrible Twins pitching. This will be a long year.

caribbeanhen
April 28th, 2018, 10:40 AM
I was at the four hour long Twins loss to the Reds. Miserable windy night. Terrible Twins pitching. This will be a long year.

saw Votto's long HR.... And yes it did look cold

PaladinFan
April 29th, 2018, 02:30 PM
Took the family over to Montgomery to watch the Rays AA affiliate play the Angels affiliate (Mobile Bay Bears).

1-0 no hitter shutout by Mobile. The baseball fan in me wanted a few more runs, but I can't complain about a 2:30 9 inning ball game with young kids.

PaladinFan
April 29th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Braves jump all over the Phillies again and beat them 10-1 in Philadelphia, taking the third straight series between the two teams.

I know Philly has a lot of young talent, but outside of Aaron Nola and possibly Obdubel Herrera, I'm not sure I'd take a single Phillies regular over what the Braves are running out there right now.

caribbeanhen
April 29th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Braves jump all over the Phillies again and beat them 10-1 in Philadelphia, taking the third straight series between the two teams.

I know Philly has a lot of young talent, but outside of Aaron Nola and possibly Obdubel Herrera, I'm not sure I'd take a single Phillies regular over what the Braves are running out there right now.

Well Franco and Kingery platoon is better for now than what the Braves have but otherwise I agree, I like Freeman hitting behind Acuna..... Albies is looking pretty special, not liking all the head first dives.... it's a long season kid

PaladinFan
April 29th, 2018, 08:34 PM
Well Franco and Kingery platoon is better for now than what the Braves have but otherwise I agree, I like Freeman hitting behind Acuna..... Albies is looking pretty special, not liking all the head first dives.... it's a long season kid

I agree, but he's fun to watch.

One thing that is noticeably different this season is that the Braves are an enjoyable team to watch, win or lose.

caribbeanhen
April 29th, 2018, 08:43 PM
I agree, but he's fun to watch.

One thing that is noticeably different this season is that the Braves are an enjoyable team to watch, win or lose.

will even be more enjoyable if they land Machado.....

any opinion on where he ends up.... Cards and Phils also in the running

PaladinFan
April 30th, 2018, 05:01 AM
will even be more enjoyable if they land Machado.....

any opinion on where he ends up.... Cards and Phils also in the running

Guys like Machado and Harper are hard to predict.

The Braves have, I think, three salary commitments past 2018: Freeman, Inciarte, Teheran. They won’t have the pockets a lot of teams will, but they should have some financial flexibility going forward. I think they could make a run at either guy.

bonarae
April 30th, 2018, 07:51 AM
Meanwhile...

Streaks end in one way or another... the Crew were shut down literally by the Cubbies, only scoring two runs throughout their recent 4-game series at Wrigley...

PaladinFan
May 1st, 2018, 11:27 AM
Braves call up 20 year old top pitching prospect Mike Soroka to start against the Mets.

Atlanta has the 3 youngest players in the MLB.

caribbeanhen
May 1st, 2018, 02:46 PM
Braves call up 20 year old top pitching prospect Mike Soroka to start against the Mets.

Atlanta has the 3 youngest players in the MLB.

you beat me to it.... My son just texted me he will be at the game tonight..... I'm just a jealous guy ....JL

I'm actually feeling kind of excited to be a Braves fan for the first time in a long time

PaladinFan
May 1st, 2018, 08:56 PM
you beat me to it.... My son just texted me he will be at the game tonight..... I'm just a jealous guy ....JL

I'm actually feeling kind of excited to be a Braves fan for the first time in a long time

Soroka pitched well. 6 innings of 1 run ball.

I think the broadcast said the Braves have the youngest trio of players (Albies, Acuna, Soroka) of any major league team in 40 years.

The team is fun to watch play. Jumped on Syndergaard early and made the lead stick. A little hair in the ninth with some defensive miscues. That first inning was fun, watching Albies single, Acuna line a double, Freeman plate both, and then Markakis driving in Freeman. The Braves scored 3 runs before the fans had even taken their seats.

caribbeanhen
May 2nd, 2018, 10:53 PM
Soroka pitched well. 6 innings of 1 run ball.

I think the broadcast said the Braves have the youngest trio of players (Albies, Acuna, Soroka) of any major league team in 40 years.

The team is fun to watch play. Jumped on Syndergaard early and made the lead stick. A little hair in the ninth with some defensive miscues. That first inning was fun, watching Albies single, Acuna line a double, Freeman plate both, and then Markakis driving in Freeman. The Braves scored 3 runs before the fans had even taken their seats.

Soroka was very impressive last night, ice water in that kids viens, he is polished beyond his 20 years on the planet... kind of looks like a Zach Greinke and tonight the it's another clone, this time John Lester cloned as Sean Newcomb, who is showing signs of reaching his potential sooner than later

PaladinFan
May 3rd, 2018, 06:16 AM
Soroka was very impressive last night, ice water in that kids viens, he is polished beyond his 20 years on the planet... kind of looks like a Zach Greinke and tonight the it's another clone, this time John Lester cloned as Sean Newcomb, who is showing signs of reaching his potential sooner than later

It helps being able to throw a 94 mph sinker.

PaladinFan
May 3rd, 2018, 06:26 AM
Can't feel good to be a Washington fan right now. This is perhaps the last year of their "window," they have scuffled out of the gate and the NL East is looking much better than expected.

Expect the Nats to start making crazy go-for-broke trades in a few weeks.

Laker
May 3rd, 2018, 01:28 PM
Wow.

Bleacher Report‏Verified account @BleacherReport (https://twitter.com/BleacherReport) 13m13 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/992104192666894337)More

Breaking: Ichiro retires, will transition to front-office role

PaladinFan
May 3rd, 2018, 02:54 PM
Braves sweep the Mets in NY. 11-0. Teheran takes a no-no into the 7th inning.

Atlanta scores 17 runs in a three game set in Philly and then backs it up with 21 runs in Flushing.

PaladinFan
May 4th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Looks like the Braves are calling up Jose Bautista from AAA.

bonarae
May 4th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Wow. Matt Harvey circus is finally over as Mets cut ties with him; is he going to Japan?

https://www.mlb.com/news/mets-to-designate-matt-harvey-for-assignment/c-275236886

PaladinFan
May 5th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Wow. Matt Harvey circus is finally over as Mets cut ties with him; is he going to Japan?

https://www.mlb.com/news/mets-to-designate-matt-harvey-for-assignment/c-275236886

I bet someone will take a flyer on him, especially if the Mets are paying virtually all of his salary.

Hard to tell if his problem is with the Mets organization or with his personality. Would he accept a minor league deal with another team?

caribbeanhen
May 5th, 2018, 01:12 PM
I bet someone will take a flyer on him, especially if the Mets are paying virtually all of his salary.

Hard to tell if his problem is with the Mets organization or with his personality. Would he accept a minor league deal with another team?

his problem was TJ surgery...

PaladinFan
May 9th, 2018, 04:45 AM
Matt Harvey to Reds

Sean Newcomb starting to look like the guy everyone thought he could be. Wins a 1-0 game in Tampa where the only run was another ball Acuna sent into orbit.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 10th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Phils complete a 4 game sweep of the Giants! Bring on the Mutts!!

MR. CHICKEN
May 10th, 2018, 03:33 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27579&stc=1......YEAH........NEED TA START....BEATIN'.....OURAH....DIVISION TEAMS...............BRAWK!

PaladinFan
May 11th, 2018, 04:40 AM
Phils and Braves both look they are going to make a run at this thing.

caribbeanhen
May 11th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Phils and Braves both look they are going to make a run at this thing.

someone suggested a month ago not to forget about the Phillies..... Braves have a CC Sabathia and John Lester and maybe Greinke clones, in Gohora, Newcomb and Soroka

bonarae
May 11th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Don't forget the NL Central race as well... I don't think there'll be separation between the top 4 teams until the All-Star break...

PaladinFan
May 13th, 2018, 06:22 AM
someone suggested a month ago not to forget about the Phillies..... Braves have a CC Sabathia and John Lester and maybe Greinke clones, in Gohora, Newcomb and Soroka

Don’t forget Teheran, who looks like a completely different pitcher from last season.

I like the Braves decision to use Gohara out of the pen. He needs some work developing his changeup, but his fastball slider combination is pretty devastating. He runs it up in the high 90s and then can break off sliders to either side of the plate. Righties don’t have much of an advantage against him because he can bury that slider on their back foot. Having a guy like that in the pen “learning the ropes” is likely a pretty sound strategy.

caribbeanhen
May 13th, 2018, 06:53 AM
Don’t forget Teheran, who looks like a completely different pitcher from last season.

I like the Braves decision to use Gohara out of the pen. He needs some work developing his changeup, but his fastball slider combination is pretty devastating. He runs it up in the high 90s and then can break off sliders to either side of the plate. Righties don’t have much of an advantage against him because he can bury that slider on their back foot. Having a guy like that in the pen “learning the ropes” is likely a pretty sound strategy.

Teheran, no havent forgot about him just cant place a clone for him yet....

Acuna starting to press just a bit, but did have a nice opposite field hit last night, he's fouling alot of balls off and has been locked up on some curves... not worried at all though, he is to talented

PaladinFan
May 14th, 2018, 04:31 AM
With D’backs loss, Atlanta takes over the best record in the NL. Hard to believe.

Also, in AAA the Gwinnett Stripers won behind 8 shutout innings from Kolby Allard. Austin Riley, the Braves likely 3B of the future, went 4-5 with 3 homers and 8 RBI.

Riley is hitting .336 with 9 homers through 34 games across AA/AAA this season. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Braves call him up too.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 14th, 2018, 09:55 AM
With D’backs loss, Atlanta takes over the best record in the NL. Hard to believe.

Also, in AAA the Gwinnett Stripers won behind 8 shutout innings from Kolby Allard. Austin Riley, the Braves likely 3B of the future, went 4-5 with 3 homers and 8 RBI.

Riley is hitting .336 with 9 homers through 34 games across AA/AAA this season. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Braves call him up too.

And the Phils remain right on their heals. There's no question that Washington is finally hitting their stride. I think they'll ultimately take control of the division. Still, the Phils and Braves seem safe bets at this bet to be in the "hunt" all season.

The Braves, Phils and Nationals own 3 of the top 4 run differentials in the NL....

PaladinFan
May 14th, 2018, 10:00 AM
The World Wide Leader against produces their power rankings: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23459747/ranking-mlb-teams-week-6

Braves are behind both the Nationals and Phillies. Of course, Atlanta has a better record than both clubs and has beaten Philadelphia 6 out of 9 times.

While these rankings are better than they were last week, I often fail to see the logic.

caribbeanhen
May 15th, 2018, 10:29 PM
Acuna launches a missle to CF, Jumped out of the park as fast as Ive ever seen anything hit that far

But the Braves closer is not going to be good enough

playoff intensity game tonight, maybe a preview

bonarae
May 16th, 2018, 02:54 AM
Meanwhile...

Cano's legacy suddenly became unclear when he was decked 80 games for a banned substance.

And...

Look at that slide by Adeiny!

PaladinFan
May 16th, 2018, 04:40 AM
Acuna launches a missle to CF, Jumped out of the park as fast as Ive ever seen anything hit that far

But the Braves closer is not going to be good enough

playoff intensity game tonight, maybe a preview

Braves got hosed tonight by the blues, but should have won the game.

Viz hasn’t been good enough. If his secondary pitches aren’t working, guys just sit on his fastball. Snitker aleady commented that Minter and Winkler will start getting looks out of the closer role. WInkler has been nearly unhittable this season.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 16th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Phils are now playing .600 ball thanks to a 4-1 win over the hapless Orioles. Things now get serious for the Phightins for an extended period of time! Their schedule is flat out brutal until the All-Star break. In the near future, 4 at St. Louis and 3 at home with Atlanta will be interesting.

PaladinFan
May 17th, 2018, 04:30 AM
It’s been fun watching other fan bases collectively realize how good Ozzie Albies and Ronald Acuna are.

caribbeanhen
May 17th, 2018, 06:56 PM
It’s been fun watching other fan bases collectively realize how good Ozzie Albies and Ronald Acuna are.

they need a nickname.....

Drblankstare
May 20th, 2018, 12:24 AM
I’m pretty sure watching this Twins team is giving me a tumor

PaladinFan
May 20th, 2018, 06:25 AM
Sean Newcomb, the centerpiece of the Braves trade for Andrelton Simmons (ugh, I miss watching him), has finally seemed to figure it out. Over last 7 games he’s 4-0 with a 1.91 ERA.

PaladinFan
May 20th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Braves cut Jose Bautista and peg Johan Carmago as the everyday 3B

What seems almost a foregone conclusion at this point is that if the Braves are in contention through the summer they will try to swing a deal for a third baseman. There is going to be a glut of players at that position available this summer (Machado, Donaldson, Beltre, etc.) which will drive prices down.

I don't like rental players, but with young prospect Austin Riley waiting in the wings, going for a long term gap filler seems unwise. Of course, if Manny Machado wants to come to Atlanta and sign a long term extension, I'm sure the Braves will happily send Riley to Baltimore.

caribbeanhen
May 20th, 2018, 08:59 PM
Braves cut Jose Bautista and peg Johan Carmago as the everyday 3B

What seems almost a foregone conclusion at this point is that if the Braves are in contention through the summer they will try to swing a deal for a third baseman. There is going to be a glut of players at that position available this summer (Machado, Donaldson, Beltre, etc.) which will drive prices down.

I don't like rental players, but with young prospect Austin Riley waiting in the wings, going for a long term gap filler seems unwise. Of course, if Manny Machado wants to come to Atlanta and sign a long term extension, I'm sure the Braves will happily send Riley to Baltimore.

with Manny being a FA this off season, wouldnt he want to test that market? He could turn down a trade?

ngineer
May 20th, 2018, 09:50 PM
Third week of May and the Phils are in the hunt with the Braves coming to town this week! I will be at CBP to see the clash on Wednesday. Philly a very young team, but fun to watch again.

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2018, 04:42 AM
with Manny being a FA this off season, wouldnt he want to test that market? He could turn down a trade?

I don’t think any of them could turn down a trade. The question is whether Atlanta would surrender the asking price for a guy like Machado to rent him for half a season. I don’t think they will.

Rumors from the weekend state that the Braves may likely go for Mike Moustakas. He’d come a lot cheaper, allow Atlanta to keep Austin Riley for the future, and plug a need.

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2018, 06:26 AM
Braves roar back with 6 in the 9th inning to walkoff against the Fish 10-9.

I have followed the Braves for a long time. I cannot remember a team that was this fun to watch.

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2018, 06:37 AM
Third week of May and the Phils are in the hunt with the Braves coming to town this week! I will be at CBP to see the clash on Wednesday. Philly a very young team, but fun to watch again.

It is going to be a big two weeks for the Braves. They have back to back road series against Philadelphia and Boston, and then home for the Mets and Nationals.

Looking at the rosters, the Phillies are the 3rd youngest roster in the MLB behind Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. The Braves are the 7th youngest. The numbers on baseball-reference do not reflect the Braves' release of Jose Bautista (37), so my guess is they would move up that ranking.

I expect this to be the big rivalry in the division going forward. The Nationals' competition window probably closes after this season. The Marlins are a long way off and I cannot trust the Mets. Both the Phillies and Braves are young talented rosters. Of course, the Braves are younger and more talented. xsmiley_wix

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 21st, 2018, 09:59 PM
Phils take down the Braves 3-0!! The Phightins are now a 0.5 game behind!!

Velasquez vs McCarthy tomorrow night

Go Lehigh TU Owl
May 21st, 2018, 10:01 PM

Have fun!! I desperately need to get down for a game. I have tickets to the Yankees battle on the June 26th but I don't want to wait that long!!

caribbeanhen
May 21st, 2018, 10:09 PM
I don’t think any of them could turn down a trade. The question is whether Atlanta would surrender the asking price for a guy like Machado to rent him for half a season. I don’t think they will.

Rumors from the weekend state that the Braves may likely go for Mike Moustakas. He’d come a lot cheaper, allow Atlanta to keep Austin Riley for the future, and plug a need.

I can agree with this, no need to go after Machado give me Beltre or Moose for the short term, as much as I wanted Acuna in the majors last year, I can also be patient with Riley...... no need to rush him unless he just goes crazy....

the 19 year old Juan Soto, who was in A ball at the start of the season, is not the youngest player in baseball, and promptly launches a three run homer in his first major league AB

Day off Buehler is a stud as well, crisp looking young pitcher

PaladinFan
May 22nd, 2018, 04:51 AM
I can agree with this, no need to go after Machado give me Beltre or Moose for the short term, as much as I wanted Acuna in the majors last year, I can also be patient with Riley...... no need to rush him unless he just goes crazy....

the 19 year old Juan Soto, who was in A ball at the start of the season, is not the youngest player in baseball, and promptly launches a three run homer in his first major league AB

Day off Buehler is a stud as well, crisp looking young pitcher

It is an interesting move by the Nationals. I kinda sorta feel like they are feeling the pressure to get moving. I don’t think they expected the NL East to be a challenge this year, and it looks like it is going to be.

PaladinFan
May 22nd, 2018, 04:53 AM
Phils take down the Braves 3-0!! The Phightins are now a 0.5 game behind!!

Velasquez vs McCarthy tomorrow night

Good game last night. Phils made a few more plays and someone actually managed to put the ball in play against Shane Carle, which itself is an impressive feat.

McCarthy has been up and down this season, but looked good in his last two starts. If my memory is right, the Braves jumped all over Velazquez the last time they matched up.

caribbeanhen
May 22nd, 2018, 03:34 PM
Good game last night. Phils made a few more plays and someone actually managed to put the ball in play against Shane Carle, which itself is an impressive feat.

McCarthy has been up and down this season, but looked good in his last two starts. If my memory is right, the Braves jumped all over Velazquez the last time they matched up.

VV has had 2 solid starts back to back, a rarity for him, let's see how he does trying to go for his third..... I'll go out on the limb and say VV again becomes his own worst enemy and doesnt make it to the 5th

Inciarte effortly launches an 80 yard throw from the warning track in CF into 2B to nail a loafing Cesear Hernandez trying to tag up from first,

Herrera golfs a Foltzy curve off his ankles into CF for a hit, if you can read lips Foltzy said something to the effect off YGFKM that was my best curve ball, I think Suzuki was suprised he even hit it..

PaladinFan
May 23rd, 2018, 04:30 AM
Braves even up the series. I had not realized this but McCarthy and Velazquez have already faced one another 4 times this year.

Phillies get a look at the young Brazilian fireballer in the rubber match while the Braves get Arrieta.

You have to pull for Gohara. 21 years old. Lost his father in the offseason and his mother is apparently gravely ill back home. He'll go on the bereavement list as soon as today's contest is done. https://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/stage-set-for-gohara-first-start-beat-the-phillies-philadelphia/wsDGxyX8NebfZHXK1WpY6M/

PaladinFan
May 24th, 2018, 06:26 AM
Phillies take the series from Atlanta. The Braves got a bunch of guys on against Arrieta, but just couldn't seem to get the final hit to put a few on the board. He's a tough hombre.

bonarae
May 25th, 2018, 07:03 PM
Meanwhile...

Hanley Ramirez is designated for assignment. And Span and Colome go to Seattle as replacements for their injured and suspended All-Star players.

PaladinFan
May 26th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Meanwhile...

Hanley Ramirez is designated for assignment. And Span and Colome go to Seattle as replacements for their injured and suspended All-Star players.

I wonder if Ramirez could be a 3rd base flyer target for the Braves. Certainly no one will claim him or trade for him given his contract.

I could live with giving Ramirez the everyday 3B job for the league minimum.

caribbeanhen
May 26th, 2018, 10:04 AM
I wonder if Ramirez could be a 3rd base flyer target for the Braves. Certainly no one will claim him or trade for him given his contract.

I could live with giving Ramirez the everyday 3B job for the league minimum.

be careful what you wish for....

if the guy cant hit in Fenway he wont hit in Atlanta, that is a canyon out to LF....... not to mention when was the last time he played on the left side of the IF?

no thanks

On the other hand if they want to give him a JoeyBats type tryout for a few weeks, nothing much to lose right?

I starting to like the idea of Moose Mastuakus, the ball jumps out to RF in Atlanta now....

ngineer
May 26th, 2018, 08:03 PM
Phillies in first place in late May for the first time since, I think, 2012! Nola was tremendous taking a no-hitter with two out in the 7th. Rain delay seemed to effect his control as he walked two before giving up first hit. Still impressive. Phils runs on solo HRs by Franco and Williams--his third pinch hit HR this year already! I was at the 3-0 game with the Braves on Wednesday. Most impressive play was Phils rookie catcher gunning down Brave who had a great jump and I thought no-way Alfaro guns him, but he did.

PaladinFan
May 27th, 2018, 07:28 AM
Late May. Show of hands of how many folks pegged Nick Markakis as the league leader in hits and the NL's leading hitter.

Markakis is 34, has 2,000+ career hits, and has never made the All Star game. I believe this will be the year.

PaladinFan
May 28th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Braves thump Sox and retake first place.

Phyrric victory, though, as Ronald Acuna injured his knee beating out an infield grounder. No reports yet on a final diagnosis, but Braves fans are fearing the worst.

bonarae
May 28th, 2018, 05:27 PM
Phyrric victory, though, as Ronald Acuna injured his knee beating out an infield grounder. No reports yet on a final diagnosis, but Braves fans are fearing the worst.

Not really the worst. Only an ACL sprain and knee bruise. But he goes on the DL right away.

PaladinFan
May 29th, 2018, 04:51 AM
Not really the worst. Only an ACL sprain and knee bruise. But he goes on the DL right away.

Out of all the possible scenarios, that was probably the best case.

caribbeanhen
May 29th, 2018, 06:46 AM
Braves and Phillies fans gathered a the ole rail road station can hear a not so distant train lumbering down the tracks, hold on tight and sit back and enjoy the doppler effect as it speeds past the station.....

Nats have won 4 in a row, hopefully it doesnt turn into a 9 game streak.......... Juan Soto is a stud.

reports are Acuna was feeling much better yesterday and tried to convince the Braves to let him play the second game of the double dip, Braves had to tell him he was already on the DL..... Just rest up and heal kid..... that was a scary play... wow, hard to watch

speaking of hard to watch, Hoskins fouls a ball off straight up into his mouth and nose....... brutal

PaladinFan
May 29th, 2018, 07:04 AM
Braves and Phillies fans gathered a the ole rail road station can hear a not so distant train lumbering down the tracks, hold on tight and sit back and enjoy the doppler effect as it speeds past the station.....

Nats have won 4 in a row, hopefully it doesnt turn into a 9 game streak.......... Juan Soto is a stud.

reports are Acuna was feeling much better yesterday and tried to convince the Braves to let him play the second game of the double dip, Braves had to tell him he was already on the DL..... Just rest up and heal kid..... that was a scary play... wow, hard to watch

speaking of hard to watch, Hoskins fouls a ball off straight up into his mouth and nose....... brutal

The Nationals are easily the most complete team in the Division. Atlanta will host them next for a four game set, but as of now will avoid Scherzer (I think).

I think the Braves are one of the top stories in the league this year. The Phillies were expected to be a dark horse, as they had spent more in free agency trying to speed up their rebuild. So, it is not entirely surprising that the Phillies are somewhere in the pack at this stage, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would have figured the Braves would have the second best record in the NL in late May.

The reason I think the Braves will eventually fade is starting pitching. The Nationals have a deep rotation. The Phillies have Nola, who can go to the post and give them 7+ a night.

The Braves don't really have anyone you feel entirely comfortable with at this stage. They've managed to win by clubbing teams with their offense and having quality pitching in spurts. If some of these starters would settle into some consistency, I'd feel much better. You just don't know what to expect game to game. You can easily see 70+ pitches in four innings as you might a no hitter through 7.

Professor Chaos
May 29th, 2018, 02:50 PM
I've been following the chatter over the last couple days on the controversial Anthony Rizzo slide into home that knocked down Pirate's catcher Elias Diaz who was trying to complete a double play with a throw to first causing his throw to sail into right field. Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udZ672SP7_Q

Diaz would be fine but opinions are all over the spectrum about whether the slide was "dirty" and now there appears to be some waffling from the MLB offices on whether the slide was legal. It was orginally called legal and upheld after review but today there's rumors circulating that MLB now claims interference should've been called: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23642672/mlb-believes-anthony-rizzo-slide-vs-pittsburgh-pirates-was-interference

Personally, I think it should be called interference and if the rule interpretation isn't clear in this scenario it should be rewritten to make it clear. Rizzo undoubtedly slid into the catcher unnecessarily and said as much but claims he was just trying to break up the double play and didn't have any intent to injure. However, sliding into a planted leg is incredibly dangerous and could easily cause serious injury. I wonder how well Rizzo and Cubs would buy it if a Pirates player spiked Rizzo's heel on a groundout to first base trying to "break up the play". I know a lot of these guys like to tout their "old school mentality" and claim it's hustle but IMO that isn't baseball and shouldn't be a part of the game.

What say you? Was it legal? If so, should it be? Was it dirty?

Drblankstare
May 29th, 2018, 04:21 PM
I doubt Rizzo's intent was injury, so I dont know if it was dirty in that way. By MLB's slide rules, it sure looked like it was illegal to me. He adjusted his slide to make contact with the player and not the bag. I think the umps should have called it a double play.

More shocking to me, is that Rizzo didnt wear one in the ribs in his next at bat.

Professor Chaos
May 29th, 2018, 04:31 PM
I doubt Rizzo's intent was injury, so I dont know if it was dirty in that way. By MLB's slide rules, it sure looked like it was illegal to me. He adjusted his slide to make contact with the player and not the bag. I think the umps should have called it a double play.

More shocking to me, is that Rizzo didnt wear one in the ribs in his next at bat.
I think that was partially the game situation. His next AB was in the top of the 9th with 1 out and runners on 1st and 2nd. The Pirates were "only" down 5-0 at that point. A wild pitch during his AB advanced runners to 2nd and 3rd and he singled to drive them both in after that. They couldn't even really throw at him after 1st base opened up since a wild pitch would allow a run to score if they "miss". I'd guess there may be some fireworks tonight since yesterday was the first game of a 3 game set this week.

Drblankstare
May 29th, 2018, 06:30 PM
I think that was partially the game situation. His next AB was in the top of the 9th with 1 out and runners on 1st and 2nd. The Pirates were "only" down 5-0 at that point. A wild pitch during his AB advanced runners to 2nd and 3rd and he singled to drive them both in after that. They couldn't even really throw at him after 1st base opened up since a wild pitch would allow a run to score if they "miss". I'd guess there may be some fireworks tonight since yesterday was the first game of a 3 game set this week.

Yeah your right, hitting Rizzo then probably doesn’t make much sense. More likely it happens tonight.

A lot of Baseball’s unwritten rules are nonesense, but I don’t mind a guy getting plugged for a slide like that. A catchers legs are his career.

PaladinFan
May 29th, 2018, 07:47 PM

He admitted that he intended to break up the double play. I think whether he intended to injure Diaz is sort of irrelevant. It's like intending to shoot someone in the chest, but not intending to kill them.

In my baseball experience, that's a dirty slide. It was late, off line, and hard. I don't even think it is arguable.

clenz
May 29th, 2018, 09:13 PM
That slide, weather intended to injure or not, is a bull**** slide and 100% dirty. It's dirty at home, it's dirty at second, it's dirty at third.

PaladinFan
May 29th, 2018, 09:19 PM
That slide, weather intended to injure or not, is a bull**** slide and 100% dirty. It's dirty at home, it's dirty at second, it's dirty at third.

At least at the other bags the fielder has a means of defending themselves.

PaladinFan
May 30th, 2018, 07:05 AM
Braves walk it off again against the Mets.

Mets cannot seem to buy a break right now.

In Mickey Callaway's post game comments he mentioned that a few of his relievers were not available. I had not realized that the Mets AAA affiliate is Las Vegas, but will be in Syracuse next season. That has to be a huge impediment to in-season call ups when your AAA team is on the other side of the country.

Atlanta moved their AAA team to the suburbs a couple of years ago. Gwinnett plays in the International League, which basically covers the same territory Atlanta spends most of its time in up and down the east coast. It's a nice luxury to be able to call up guys who can get from AAA to the MLB park in 20 minutes by car.

Professor Chaos
May 30th, 2018, 11:59 AM
He admitted that he intended to break up the double play. I think whether he intended to injure Diaz is sort of irrelevant. It's like intending to shoot someone in the chest, but not intending to kill them.

In my baseball experience, that's a dirty slide. It was late, off line, and hard. I don't even think it is arguable.

At least at the other bags the fielder has a means of defending themselves.
I agree with you guys but you'd be surprised how many comments I've seen to the alternative. Either saying it wasn't dirty or illegal or saying that it was illegal but wasn't dirty. The macho man attitude some of these baseball guys have perplexes me. They act like collisions between players is an integral part of the game and seeking out those collisions to help your team win should be a good thing for the game but to me it's the opposite. In my opion, baseball is more dependent on skill than any of the major sports (where the biggest/fastest/tallest usually prevail) and that's why it's a great, and unique, game. The game is always evolving to be made safer from pitch counts to the 5/6 man rotation to the new sliding rules around bases that passed a few years ago. Personally, I watch baseball to admire the skill these guys have not to see them collide with each other and find out who's tougher. If that makes me a pussy in the eyes of some of these "old school baseball guys" so be it I guess.

PaladinFan
May 31st, 2018, 09:36 PM
Bravos get a nice win over the Nationals and reclaim first place. Sean Newcomb outduels Tanner Roark and some aggressive baserunning helps solidify the lead. Good all around ball game.

The Braves haven't been on fire the last few weeks, but have had a tough schedule. The June slate is far more kind (Reds, Padres, Orioles, Blue Jays). I'm all for treading water in the toughest part of the schedule and then going to work on the weaker parts.

ngineer
June 1st, 2018, 08:23 PM
The Nationals are easily the most complete team in the Division. Atlanta will host them next for a four game set, but as of now will avoid Scherzer (I think).

I think the Braves are one of the top stories in the league this year. The Phillies were expected to be a dark horse, as they had spent more in free agency trying to speed up their rebuild. So, it is not entirely surprising that the Phillies are somewhere in the pack at this stage, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would have figured the Braves would have the second best record in the NL in late May.

The reason I think the Braves will eventually fade is starting pitching. The Nationals have a deep rotation. The Phillies have Nola, who can go to the post and give them 7+ a night.

The Braves don't really have anyone you feel entirely comfortable with at this stage. They've managed to win by clubbing teams with their offense and having quality pitching in spurts. If some of these starters would settle into some consistency, I'd feel much better. You just don't know what to expect game to game. You can easily see 70+ pitches in four innings as you might a no hitter through 7.

Nola has been impressive, but one has to not forget about Arrieta and Privetto. Velasquez has lights out stuff at times, but then either loses focus. If he becomes more consistent, they may have the top starting rotation in the league. Bullpen is another story, except for this monster rookie Seranthony Dominguez whose been almost untouchable since being called up. Phils need another quality bat, especially with Hoskins going on DL with fractured jaw.

PaladinFan
June 2nd, 2018, 06:47 AM
Mike Foltynewicz overwhelms Washington with one of the better pitching performances I’ve seen in years. Complete game two hit shutout against that lineup.

Braves have just thrown water on the red hot Nationals and really are starting to establish themselves as legitimate contenders. Sean Newcomb and Foltynewicz really seem to be starting to meet their potential, which looks like pure ace stuff. Foltynewicz was still hitting 98 in the 9th inning.

PaladinFan
June 2nd, 2018, 08:41 PM
Nats topple Braves in the 13th.

The Braves are now 5-4 against the Nationals. They are the preseason favorite, and I don't see an inch of space between the two clubs.

caribbeanhen
June 3rd, 2018, 07:09 AM

well who knew he was going to Pinch hit....

Camargo making his case for the Braves to do nothing about Third base,

Juan Soto, better check his birth certificate...... he is one mature looking 19 year old, he can sure hit though.....

Draft starts tomorrow, the Braves have the #8 pick and you can bet the house it will be a pitcher, if Brady Singer is there.... take him, might be a HS pitcher named Liberatore out of Arizona, a lefty