PDA

View Full Version : 2018 MLB Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

PaladinFan
June 3rd, 2018, 09:03 AM
well who knew he was going to Pinch hit....

Camargo making his case for the Braves to do nothing about Third base,

Juan Soto, better check his birth certificate...... he is one mature looking 19 year old, he can sure hit though.....

Draft starts tomorrow, the Braves have the #8 pick and you can bet the house it will be a pitcher, if Brady Singer is there.... take him, might be a HS pitcher named Liberatore out of Arizona, a lefty

MLB draft is notoriously hard to predict. A lot of folks connect Atlanta with Nolan Gorman, the power-hitting high school infielder.

Generally, though, the Braves tend to draft high ceiling pitchers early in the draft. That's where I would expect them to go, but we will have to see.

Given the penalties from MLB on the international signings, my guess is they go with young (HS) players to fill out the lower levels.

PaladinFan
June 3rd, 2018, 07:39 PM
Braves walkoff again. Take 3/4 from Washington.

For the rest of June, Atlanta's schedule will get significantly easier. The Braves will go the next four weeks without seeing a team with a winning record until St. Louis on June 29. They will have 13 games against the Padres, Reds, and Orioles, who are arguably the three worst teams in the MLB.

This is the part of the schedule where a few good weeks could really start separating the division.

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2018, 08:34 AM
Braves pick up HS RHP Carter Stewart out of Florida. Considered by many to be the best prep arm in the draft.

Atlanta has had a number of recent top 10 picks and has gone high ceiling young arms with nearly all of them. Stewart appears to have a fastball in the mid 90s and a power curve that drops 12-6. Both pitches are considered "double plus," which suggests that even if he does not pan out as a starter, he'll likely have late-inning stuff.

Laker
June 6th, 2018, 08:37 PM
The Associated Press‏Verified account @AP (https://twitter.com/AP) 27m27 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/AP/status/1004530425606344704)More

BREAKING: Former Cardinals player, manager Red Schoendienst dies at 95, was oldest living member of Baseball Hall of Fame.

Bisonoline
June 6th, 2018, 09:12 PM
The Associated Press‏Verified account @AP (https://twitter.com/AP) 27m27 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/AP/status/1004530425606344704)More

BREAKING: Former Cardinals player, manager Red Schoendienst dies at 95, was oldest living member of Baseball Hall of Fame.

Damn I didnt know he was still alive. RIP Red!

PaladinFan
June 12th, 2018, 06:36 AM
MLB releases the first voting for the 2018 All Star game. Three players for the upstart Braves currently hold starting positions.

Freddie Freeman and Nick Markakis are no brainers. They may be the league's two best hitters this year. What will be interesting to follow is whether Ozzie Albies can hold off Javier Baez. Cubs fans are well known to stuff the ballot boxes for their players. I'm anxious to see if Braves country can hold them off.

caribbeanhen
June 12th, 2018, 03:53 PM
MLB releases the first voting for the 2018 All Star game. Three players for the upstart Braves currently hold starting positions.

Freddie Freeman and Nick Markakis are no brainers. They may be the league's two best hitters this year. What will be interesting to follow is whether Ozzie Albies can hold off Javier Baez. Cubs fans are well known to stuff the ballot boxes for their players. I'm anxious to see if Braves country can hold them off.

if Ozzie can start hitting again no problem, he has been in a prolonged slump and seems to not be able to lay off the high stuff, pitchers learning how to get him, but this stuff is standard.... Albies will be OK, he is a player and he will adjust......

but Baez is adored in ChiTown - they love this guy, quick set of hands he has .....

PaladinFan
June 12th, 2018, 09:02 PM
if Ozzie can start hitting again no problem, he has been in a prolonged slump and seems to not be able to lay off the high stuff, pitchers learning how to get him, but this stuff is standard.... Albies will be OK, he is a player and he will adjust......

but Baez is adored in ChiTown - they love this guy, quick set of hands he has .....

How about a grand salami?

bonarae
June 15th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Meanwhile...

Do you think we can see a few veterans as first-time All-Stars in Washington this year?

caribbeanhen
June 15th, 2018, 07:03 AM
How about a grand salami?

Yep, he can really play some 2B as well, fun player to watch.... how long did Trammel and Whitaker play together? Swanson and Albies will be around a long time

PaladinFan
June 15th, 2018, 08:00 AM
The more I watch baseball in 2018, the more I am convinced that these defensive shifts are being thwarted by aggressive baserunning.

I'm not sure I can ever remember routinely seeing runners take unoccupied and undefended bases almost nightly. It has to be caused by players being constantly out of their "traditional" position.

A few nights ago, Ender Inciarte stole third base with Frazier playing where the shortstop is. I ask you - why would you overshift with the third baseman with a man (who is among the best base stealers in the NL) on second? Literally all he has to do is win a footrace to the bag.

Laker
June 15th, 2018, 02:50 PM
The more I watch baseball in 2018, the more I am convinced that these defensive shifts are being thwarted by aggressive baserunning.

I'm not sure I can ever remember routinely seeing runners take unoccupied and undefended bases almost nightly. It has to be caused by players being constantly out of their "traditional" position.

A few nights ago, Ender Inciarte stole third base with Frazier playing where the shortstop is. I ask you - why would you overshift with the third baseman with a man (who is among the best base stealers in the NL) on second? Literally all he has to do is win a footrace to the bag.

This is why I think talk of creating a rule outlawing shifts is idiotic. First- hit into the hole or bunt your way on. Second- do what you said- steal. These people who are so upset by these shifts forget that there are ways of countering it.

caribbeanhen
June 16th, 2018, 06:29 AM
shift = Fad.... Disco was once a thing too

PaladinFan
June 16th, 2018, 04:06 PM
This is why I think talk of creating a rule outlawing shifts is idiotic. First- hit into the hole or bunt your way on. Second- do what you said- steal. These people who are so upset by these shifts forget that there are ways of countering it.

I've seen debates on this. I think the response is the increased probability of an out (via the shift) is more valuable than the increased run expectancy of a runner advancing a base.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
June 17th, 2018, 09:09 PM
The Phightin's take 2 of 3 from Milwaukee. The "month of death" is nearly over! 3 with St. Louis, 3 with Washington, 3 with the Yankees then 3 more with Washington before some relief. This 6-7 week stretch might be the hardest I've ever seen the Phillies face. They've taken their lumps but are hanging in! I'll be in Philly next Tuesday for the Yankees game.

PaladinFan
June 18th, 2018, 04:45 AM
Braves take 3 of 4 from San Diego for a 5-1 home stand. Unlike Phillies, Atlanta had most of its heavy lifting in the early part of the season, and they are making hay through a pretty light patch at the moment. They have opened up a 3.5 game lead over Washington.

Atlanta has reached that point in the season where they could essentially play .500 ball the rest of the season and probably make the playoffs. Pitching has been outstanding, and Acuna is set to come off the DL in the next few days.

PaladinFan
June 18th, 2018, 12:33 PM
In things I didn't think I'd be writing this year, Nick Markakis has surpassed Bryce Harper as the leading vote getter for NL outfielders for the All Star game.

With two and a half weeks left, Atlanta has 3 players slated to start: Freeman, Markakis, and Albies.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
June 18th, 2018, 04:01 PM
The Phils send closer Hector Neris to Triple-A!! woohoo!!

Still, the bullpen, especially the closer position, remains a major concern imo...

PaladinFan
June 19th, 2018, 05:58 AM
Nationals make the first big move of the summer and acquire Royals Closer Kelvin Herrera.

This is an "all in" season for the Nationals, so I expect they will continue to push the envelope. This was supposed to be a walkaway for them in the division, and its been anything but.

MR. CHICKEN
June 19th, 2018, 06:30 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27847&stc=1.......PHIGHTIN'S........TURN PIVETTA'S....GEM.......INTA.....OVERAH-TIME....KNEE-KNOCKER.......RICKY BO.....SNAPS ON KAP'S WAY UH BASEBALL STUFF.....AN' PHILLIES......WIN...DESPITE MISERABLE D.....LATE INNIN' PITCHIN' GAFFE'S.....AN' UH CLOSER....RIGHT UNDERAH......SKIPPER'S BEAK!..........xsighxxsighxxsighx......AWK!!

PaladinFan
June 20th, 2018, 06:01 AM
Reports are that the Braves may not have any payroll room to make a splash at the trade deadline. Atlanta strategically loaded up on expiring contracts (Adrian Gonzalez, Brian McCarthy, Scott Kazmir) to offload a longer commitment to Matt Kemp. I don't think anyone in the Atlanta organization expected the Braves to be this good in 2018, so they cleared a lot of their money for 2019.

I'd love to see a situational bullpen arm though.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
June 20th, 2018, 11:22 AM
The Phillies bullpen is terrible! Vasquez had a solid outing but the joke that is the 'pen couldn't hold it.....

caribbeanhen
June 24th, 2018, 07:17 AM
Phillies continue to hang around and now Bhblk reports Britton rumored to Philadelphia, if they land him the rest of the League will take serious notice of the Phillies

Braves have now lost 2 staight to the Wingless Birds of Baltimore which is why I dont really pay much attention to the so called strength of sked in baseball
Swanson continues to slump, Acuna not far from returning and they need that kid

Reds beating up on the Ian Happless Cubbies - they need a bat .... will they be able to swing a deal for Manny Machado?

Juan Soto when asked to produce his birth certificate reportedly said is was lost in a flood or was it a fire.... good luck finding the original.... that kid can hit!

PaladinFan
June 24th, 2018, 07:37 AM
Phillies continue to hang around and now Bhblk reports Britton rumored to Philadelphia, if they land him the rest of the League will take serious notice of the Phillies

Braves have now lost 2 staight to the Wingless Birds of Baltimore which is why I dont really pay much attention to the so called strength of sked in baseball
Swanson continues to slump, Acuna not far from returning and they need that kid

Reds beating up on the Ian Happless Cubbies - they need a bat .... will they be able to swing a deal for Manny Machado?

Juan Soto when asked to produce his birth certificate reportedly said is was lost in a flood or was it a fire.... good luck finding the original.... that kid can hit!

Braves will be getting Acuna back in the very near future. They've got a couple of pitchers dealing with some nagging injuries, so I expect that's where they may look on the trade market.

I'm not sure what sort of payroll flexibility Atlanta has. You get conflicting reports. Pretty plainly, though, the front office did not expect Atlanta to be this good in 2018, which is they loaded up on dead money contracts. Still, there are always reports that Atlanta can expand payroll if the right opportunity arose.

More than that, I think the Braves are cautious of prospect capital. They lost a lot of their lower level guys in the sanctions over the winter, and don't want to necessarily surrender young players that would reduce that depth. Atlanta could be poised for another run like they had in the 90s, with talented pitching at every level of the minors and a young core at the MLB level. No real reason to jeopardize that advantage for a rental player.

caribbeanhen
June 24th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Braves will be getting Acuna back in the very near future. They've got a couple of pitchers dealing with some nagging injuries, so I expect that's where they may look on the trade market.

I'm not sure what sort of payroll flexibility Atlanta has. You get conflicting reports. Pretty plainly, though, the front office did not expect Atlanta to be this good in 2018, which is they loaded up on dead money contracts. Still, there are always reports that Atlanta can expand payroll if the right opportunity arose.

More than that, I think the Braves are cautious of prospect capital. They lost a lot of their lower level guys in the sanctions over the winter, and don't want to necessarily surrender young players that would reduce that depth. Atlanta could be poised for another run like they had in the 90s, with talented pitching at every level of the minors and a young core at the MLB level. No real reason to jeopardize that advantage for a rental player.

nagging injuries like Soroka? has to be concerning that he just went on the DL for the second time this year, I know the MRI came back basically clean but this is a concern.... maybe they will have to shut him down.... if that happens though it wont shut down Atlanta this year, they have enough starting pitching

not a fan of the Braves going after a Manny Macado.... but if they can swing something for a RP no problem, I've seen enough of Moylan

bonarae
June 24th, 2018, 04:53 PM
Meanwhile...

Is the NL Central a Milwaukee-St. Louis only race by now? Is it about time that somebody else besides the Cubbies has to show up?

Can Seattle chase Houston for good?

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Another All Star game release. Braves currently have 3 starters.

Freeman leads all NL players and is 1.3million votes ahead of Anthony Rizzo. Nothing's certain, but that feels like a pretty solid lock.

TTUEagles
June 27th, 2018, 06:05 PM
nagging injuries like Soroka?
Soroka just moved to the 60-day DL...Not a good sign...

Braves twitter world is going nuts over the bullpen and people are dying for upgrades, but from where? I personally am absolutely thrilled they are in first place to close out June, despite the O's and Reds series results. People need to enjoy the ride and I hope they basically stand pat and keep the future prospects right where they are - lots of $$$ coming up to spend for 2019, also...

PaladinFan
June 29th, 2018, 06:41 AM

Braves twitter world is going nuts over the bullpen and people are dying for upgrades, but from where? I personally am absolutely thrilled they are in first place to close out June, despite the O's and Reds series results. People need to enjoy the ride and I hope they basically stand pat and keep the future prospects right where they are - lots of $$$ coming up to spend for 2019, also...

I would be perfectly fine if the Braves did nothing. I certainly do not want to see them trade one of their young pitchers in the minors for a bullpen piece.

Here's the reality. Atlanta was expected to be rebuilding this year and instead has lead the NL East for most of the season. They were not supposed to be this good. Next season Atlanta has a lot of dead money coming off the books, they have a farm system stocked with depth, and I think it is THEN you make a move to rebuild the bullpen.

Practically, I think Atlanta has some injuries in their starting rotation, which is forcing them to basically use a conga line of long relievers getting pulled up from Gwinnett. The one thing that Philly and Washington have that Atlanta just doesn't is that front end starter that can go out there and pitch 8.0 every 5th day.

caribbeanhen
June 30th, 2018, 07:07 AM

I can agree with all of this as well.....

TTUEagles
July 1st, 2018, 10:08 AM
Braves start off a crucial and difficult road trip, taking the first two from the Cardinals. Not your typical Cardinals team in 2018, but 3 in STL followed by Yankee Stadium and Miller Park series is brutal and will let us know if the Braves should be buyers or hold by the trade deadline. What a game by Max Fried and Markakis!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 1st, 2018, 10:12 AM
Braves start off a crucial and difficult road trip, taking the first two from the Cardinals. Not your typical Cardinals team in 2018, but 3 in STL followed by Yankee Stadium and Miller Park series is brutal and will let us know if the Braves should be buyers or hold by the trade deadline. What a game by Max Fried and Markakis!

This run up to the All-Star game should be interesting. The Braves face a difficult stretch while the Phillies PHINALLY get some relief after a brutal 6 weeks. The Phillies June was basically the Cubs, Nationals and Brewers each 2x and 1 series each with St. Louis and the Yankees.

PaladinFan
July 1st, 2018, 12:21 PM

Braves head for a series sweep in St. Louis today. Not sure when the last time they pulled that trick.

Fried was spectacular. He had Cardinals hitters swinging at shadows most of the night.

I think everything for Atlanta comes down to prospect capital for a deal. At this point, the Braves are arguably the best offensive team in the NL. The only team in MLB with a better starting rotation to this point is Houston (whose rotation is ridiculous). The bullpen, of course, has been a complete work in progress. In fact, a lot of the guys that have floundered out of the pen this year have been pretty good in the rotation at AAA.

The price for relievers will be high, but I'd love to see Atlanta go get some middle relief depth. I can live with Vizcaino and Minter on the back end. What we need are some guys that can take the ball in the 7th and get out of the inning.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 1st, 2018, 05:31 PM
The Phils take 3 out of 4 against the Nats! Today, with temps hovering around 100, they won on an Andrew Knapp walk-off HR in the 13th inning! I'm loving this team!!

caribbeanhen
July 2nd, 2018, 04:44 AM
This run up to the All-Star game should be interesting. The Braves face a difficult stretch while the Phillies PHINALLY get some relief after a brutal 6 weeks. The Phillies June was basically the Cubs, Nationals and Brewers each 2x and 1 series each with St. Louis and the Yankees.

I understand what you are saying about finally getting some relief, but in baseball, it just doesnt work that way for the most part..... those sub .500 teams can be thorny

The Cards are simply overrated this year, they are just not that good

Nats have all there gimpy Vets back but something doesnt seem right in the Nations Capitol ......

Albies and Swanson are something to see in the middle IF for the Braves, just start calling them Whitaker and Trammel.....

I reminded Furman about the Phillies now, just goes to show you that when a GM starts telling everyone we should be ready to win in 2019 he has no idea what hes talking about...... baseball teams can turn around in a hurry and the Braves and Phils are prefect examples of that

PaladinFan
July 2nd, 2018, 05:05 AM
The Phillies, though, tried to speed up their rebuild where the Braves did not. The Phils went out and signed some bigger free agents (Santana, Arrieta, etc.) and were expected to be a playoff dark horse. They intended to make a soft push this season.

The Braves were widely expected to be slightly better than last year, but still a year away from really making a jump.

caribbeanhen
July 2nd, 2018, 02:09 PM
The Phillies, though, tried to speed up their rebuild where the Braves did not. The Phils went out and signed some bigger free agents (Santana, Arrieta, etc.) and were expected to be a playoff dark horse. They intended to make a soft push this season.

The Braves were widely expected to be slightly better than last year, but still a year away from really making a jump.

AA Battery has Energized the team, pun intended.....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 2nd, 2018, 02:19 PM
I understand what you are saying about finally getting some relief, but in baseball, it just doesnt work that way for the most part..... those sub .500 teams can be thorny

The Cards are simply overrated this year, they are just not that good

Nats have all there gimpy Vets back but something doesnt seem right in the Nations Capitol ......

Albies and Swanson are something to see in the middle IF for the Braves, just start calling them Whitaker and Trammel.....

I reminded Furman about the Phillies now, just goes to show you that when a GM starts telling everyone we should be ready to win in 2019 he has no idea what hes talking about...... baseball teams can turn around in a hurry and the Braves and Phils are prefect examples of that

Bad teams are still bad teams. Detroit just lost 11 games in a row. By this time of the year guys are mailing it in and the only spark will come by way of call ups later in the season.

St. Louis isn't great this year but given the state of the NL they're still in contention.

The Phillies caught a break against the Nats these last two weeks by not having to face Scherzer once. Going 5-2 against them is still a nice feather in the cap given how much the Phils struggles against division foes to start the year. Despite a terrible June they're still in the hunt.

It'll be interesting to see how the 3 contending teams in the NL East handle the trade deadline. The Phils have plenty of money to work with yet I doubt they pull off anything drastic. This regime is a little more forward thinking than the previous one.

PaladinFan
July 3rd, 2018, 04:49 AM
Bravos take game 1 in the Bronx with an 11th inning Acuna home run. Nationals lose again.

Atlanta took off on this difficult 10 game road trip to St. Louis, New York, and Milwaukee by winning four straight. Any Braves fan would have taken a .500 trip and they look well positioned to do that.

caribbeanhen
July 3rd, 2018, 07:09 AM
Braves caught a nice break as well as the game winning double turned into a ground ruled double keeping the winning run at third base, that game last night might look big in September.... Son was at the game and said the heat was tough, kept sliding out of his seat with all the sweat and said that everyone in the stadium was drenched and complaining about the heat....

the Nats now 7 games behind the Braves - Murphy is starting to swing the bat but should never try to go from first to third on a single, he might be the slowest
player in baseball right gimpy knee and all, Rondon is heating up as well.....

Phillies 3.5 back but right in the wildcard mix, Dodgers have been on a tear and Giants have stabilized there season and are in the mix.....

Camargo continues to tell the Braves not to make a big deal for a 3B, Hope the Braves take note.

Acuna looks like he might be ready to go on a tear, he makes the Braves lineup so much better....

PaladinFan
July 3rd, 2018, 09:27 AM
Acuna is the real deal. His homer in Yankee Stadium brings back 22 year old memories of Andruw Jones.

Laker
July 3rd, 2018, 11:13 AM
Twins give up a lead in the 9th and walk in the winning run in the 10th. xsmhx

caribbeanhen
July 3rd, 2018, 01:52 PM
Acuna is the real deal. His homer in Yankee Stadium brings back 22 year old memories of Andruw Jones.

except Andruw was 19 years old in 96

amazing that Curaçao ���� and La guiria Ve are only about 30 miles away from each other

PaladinFan
July 3rd, 2018, 03:24 PM
except Andruw was 19 years old in 96

amazing that Curaçao ���� and La guiria Ve are only about 30 miles away from each other

I mean, Acuna does not turn 21 until December.

caribbeanhen
July 4th, 2018, 07:27 AM
I mean, Acuna does not turn 21 until December.

I know exactly what you meant, just twisting things.... haha

I dont know much about Sean Newcomb's background, but I'm starting to see he has a bit of an Irish temper..... a little flare pop fly homerun last night to RF in Yankee stadium, an out in almost every other park, seemed to shake him up a bit....... he looks like one serious dude....

PaladinFan
July 4th, 2018, 08:31 AM
I know exactly what you meant, just twisting things.... haha

I dont know much about Sean Newcomb's background, but I'm starting to see he has a bit of an Irish temper..... a little flare pop fly homerun last night to RF in Yankee stadium, an out in almost every other park, seemed to shake him up a bit....... he looks like one serious dude....

Been a while since I've watched a game in Yankee Stadium, but that right field wall is ridiculous. Stanton's home run late last night wouldn't have cleared most high school parks around here.

I'm sure it's frustrating as a pitcher to see a ball that would be a pop fly in any other yard in the MLB clear that wall.

caribbeanhen
July 5th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Been a while since I've watched a game in Yankee Stadium, but that right field wall is ridiculous. Stanton's home run late last night wouldn't have cleared most high school parks around here.

I'm sure it's frustrating as a pitcher to see a ball that would be a pop fly in any other yard in the MLB clear that wall.

Yankee stadium has always been known for the short Porch in RF, This goes back to pre 1974 when the renovation started, think Ruth and Maris..... but yes, the tradition of the short porch was taken a bit far with the new Yankee staudium

bonarae
July 5th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Meanwhile...

Has the number of stolen bases going the college route (i.e. going down, down, down)? xchinscratchx

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/why-are-stolen-bases-so-rare/c-283918854

caribbeanhen
July 5th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Meanwhile...

Has the number of stolen bases going the college route (i.e. going down, down, down)? xchinscratchx

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/why-are-stolen-bases-so-rare/c-283918854

baseball is becoming what Earl Weaver was saying in the 70's...... a bloop walk and a blast, all homeruns or strikeouts

all or nothing these days, some day soon a robot will be managing a baseball team

ngineer
July 5th, 2018, 08:32 PM
Bad teams are still bad teams. Detroit just lost 11 games in a row. By this time of the year guys are mailing it in and the only spark will come by way of call ups later in the season.

St. Louis isn't great this year but given the state of the NL they're still in contention.

The Phillies caught a break against the Nats these last two weeks by not having to face Scherzer once. Going 5-2 against them is still a nice feather in the cap given how much the Phils struggles against division foes to start the year. Despite a terrible June they're still in the hunt.

It'll be interesting to see how the 3 contending teams in the NL East handle the trade deadline. The Phils have plenty of money to work with yet I doubt they pull off anything drastic. This regime is a little more forward thinking than the previous one.

I think the Phils will be buyers later this month, but I don't see them mortgaging or trading away the future. Merchado maybe the one exception. Offense needs another big stick. Nola is looking like a righthanded Carlton. Amazing. Hopefully, they don't mentally ease up having come through a tough gauntlet the past month. Now facing three weeks of subpar teams. Great opportunity to pass the Bravos.

caribbeanhen
July 7th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Braves are having problems against the better teams here and the Phils have moved into first (pct points)

Kingery with 4 hits last night as the Phils pummel the Pirates

Nats 5 games back, season might of turned for them in Miami the other day down 9 runs they come back to win

Maybe Machado goes to the Cubs .... they need a spark and would reunite him with his childhood mate Almora

PaladinFan
July 8th, 2018, 08:54 PM
Braves are having problems against the better teams here and the Phils have moved into first (pct points)

Kingery with 4 hits last night as the Phils pummel the Pirates

Nats 5 games back, season might of turned for them in Miami the other day down 9 runs they come back to win

Maybe Machado goes to the Cubs .... they need a spark and would reunite him with his childhood mate Almora

Braves managed to go .500 on a brutal road trip, which I am absolutely fine with. Not often you have to play seven consecutive against the best team in both leagues.

Atlanta looks like a team that needs the All Star break.

PaladinFan
July 9th, 2018, 06:07 AM
My leading conspiracy theory of the day.

Going into Friday, three Braves led their respective positions in All Star Voting: Freeman, Markakis, and Albies. Somehow, between Friday to Sunday, Albies was jumped by Javier Baez.

Now, explain to me how the top two vote getters in all of the National League were Braves, yet the third Brave, Albies, somehow lost his starting spot in one afternoon after leading by 200k votes?

caribbeanhen
July 9th, 2018, 05:29 PM
My leading conspiracy theory of the day.

Going into Friday, three Braves led their respective positions in All Star Voting: Freeman, Markakis, and Albies. Somehow, between Friday to Sunday, Albies was jumped by Javier Baez.

Now, explain to me how the top two vote getters in all of the National League were Braves, yet the third Brave, Albies, somehow lost his starting spot in one afternoon after leading by 200k votes?

Puerto Ricans get to vote twice, one from the Isla and once from the mainland.... Javy is adored in Chitown....

I dont get worked up about the All Star game, rather the players get the time off

ngineer
July 10th, 2018, 08:48 PM
Philly rookie Del Los Santos pitched his first game tonight in NY and was great. Six strong innings. Phils leading 7-1.

PaladinFan
July 11th, 2018, 04:53 AM
The Braves need the all star break. They look tired.

MR. CHICKEN
July 11th, 2018, 09:30 AM
The Braves need the all star break. They look tired.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28039&stc=1.......UMMM.....TIRED..."YOUNG".....BLOOD.....xchinscratchx..........AWK!

.......WINNIN'......IS LIKE....UH BOTTLE......O' CARNIVAL TONIC....OR.....DEM......LITTLE.... BLUE TABLETS.......DAT KEEPS YA MARRIED...........BRAWK!!

PaladinFan
July 11th, 2018, 11:32 AM
There is a lot of disagreement among Braves fans about what they should do at the deadline.

Atlanta has the top farm in the game and one of the youngest MLB rosters. They are far better than anyone reasonably anticipated they'd be this year. However, they don't have a particularly formidable rotation, no true ace or innings eaters, and an up and down bullpen. They are not built, currently, to go toe to toe with a lot of the power teams in the MLB. They were not expected to.

If you are Atlanta, do you assume never to take the playoffs for granted and go try to land some top end talent? Or do you hang on to your assets, realize that your team is young with a deep farm, and bide your time until next year when you clear a lot of money off the books and have more MLB ready talent available?

MR. CHICKEN
July 11th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Philly rookie Del Los Santos pitched his first game tonight in NY and was great. Six strong innings. Phils leading 7-1.

.....DE LOS SANTOS'.....HOUSE MAID.....COODAH....TWIRLED DUH SAME GEM........METS....HAVE MAILED IT IN..........PLAYIN' GRAB-A$$ WHIFF FRANCO......WHEN HE WAS ON BASE.....OR COVERIN' DUH THIRD SACK....SOMEBODAH NEEDS.......TA......THROW UH CHAIR....IN QUEENS........AWK!

...YEAH.....KID DID PITCH GREAT.........AWK!

bonarae
July 11th, 2018, 05:01 PM
Meanwhile...

Where will Machado eventually land? Can it wait until after the All-Star Break?

PaladinFan
July 12th, 2018, 04:54 AM
Meanwhile...

Where will Machado eventually land? Can it wait until after the All-Star Break?

I’ll say this. The Orioles are fools for not having dealt him over the winter. The haul for 1 full year of Machado + compensation pick would have been far more significant than 2 months of Machado and no compensation when he leaves.

I’d be interested to know what the best deal the Orioles turned down for him was.

caribbeanhen
July 13th, 2018, 02:16 PM
I’ll say this. The Orioles are fools for not having dealt him over the winter. The haul for 1 full year of Machado + compensation pick would have been far more significant than 2 months of Machado and no compensation when he leaves.

I’d be interested to know what the best deal the Orioles turned down for him was.

I think the fools in Balti were fooled into thinking they were a contender in 2018...... Yankees are in panic mode as the better team Boston has been on a tear..... Machado might be coming to the Bronx

katss07
July 13th, 2018, 06:37 PM
Tough being a Cardinals fan right now, so before I watch tonights game against the red hot Reds (pun intended), I need to vent.

1. Mike Matheny has to go. Reports have been coming out for years about how there is tension in his clubhouse. Its not a good thing. Apparently Bud Norris is being an ass to young Jordan Hicks and MM has done nothing. He isn’t a suitable manager for a team with playoff hopes. His mismanagement of the bullpen is absolutely sickening, which brings me to my next point...

2. The clubhouse and front office need to look themselves in the face and decide. Right now there is tension. Fowler wants playing time, and rightfully so. Apparently he isn’t even talking to his manager. Then you have Wong wanting more playing time, the teams best hitter Martinez not playing consistently and Norris riding Hicks constantly. The management and FO needs to think hard and smart and decide. Is this Matheny dude really who you want at the helm? He should be fired.

3. Stop treading water. Choose. Ether go all in and make some big moves, or rebuild/retool. I’d be open to both. But looking at the standings and seeing 4.5 games back for the past 4 years is frustrating.

4. Decide whos worth keeping. Is a 30 something Luke Gregerson worth keeping a roster spot for when you could have Luke Weaver in the bigs? How about Brett Cecil? Holland? The bullpen is a mess. Is Pham really going to be what he says he will be? If there is any doubt, trade him!

Laker
July 13th, 2018, 10:40 PM
Twins have won 8 out of 9. Mauer hits 3 run homer, has 4 RBI. Taking advantage of a weak schedule.

caribbeanhen
July 14th, 2018, 08:22 AM
The Phils 1.5 up on the Braves now, Phillies in same position as Atlanta on making decesion to go for it..... think Chevy and Christie pool side

rum

PaladinFan
July 14th, 2018, 08:48 PM
The Phils 1.5 up on the Braves now, Phillies in same position as Atlanta on making decesion to go for it..... think Chevy and Christie pool side

rum

Phils were a little more committed to a push this season than Atlanta. They went out and spent some money in Free Agency.

Seems like Philadelphia and Milwaukee are the two finalists to land Machado.

bonarae
July 15th, 2018, 12:48 AM
Meanwhile...

Matheny is finally OUT.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Laker
July 15th, 2018, 05:57 PM
Dozier hits a grand slam to beat the Rays in the bottom of the tenth. Game took forever- two bench clearing incidents, so many pitching changes.

PaladinFan
July 16th, 2018, 04:46 AM
Dozier hits a grand slam to beat the Rays in the bottom of the tenth. Game took forever- two bench clearing incidents, so many pitching changes.

Not related to your comment, but one of my solutions for pace of play is requiring pitchers to face at least 3 batters upon entering the game.

caribbeanhen
July 16th, 2018, 04:42 PM
rumors swirling about Manny already being a Phillie, they let him play in his Orioles uniform for the All Star game and Friday night he will be in Philadelphia

Laker
July 16th, 2018, 06:49 PM
Meanwhile...

Matheny is finally OUT.

This guy can get you a great deal on a set of white wall tires.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/37232376_835191903343805_9222819003980840960_n.png ?_nc_cat=0&oh=3f9ccdca9bc55d75336ec23321f6d5c6&oe=5BD31130

PaladinFan
July 17th, 2018, 04:59 AM
I will admit it. I got a few chills watching Bryce Harper and Freddie Freeman walk out of the tunnel together last night before the home run derby.

Maybe the future? Maybe?

caribbeanhen
July 17th, 2018, 07:12 AM
I will admit it. I got a few chills watching Bryce Harper and Freddie Freeman walk out of the tunnel together last night before the home run derby.

Maybe the future? Maybe?

Freeman would have to get traded to the Phils for that to happen.... apparenly the owner of the Phils has deep pockets and likes to spend money, hinting of signing both Harper and Machado....

PaladinFan
July 17th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Freeman would have to get traded to the Phils for that to happen.... apparenly the owner of the Phils has deep pockets and likes to spend money, hinting of signing both Harper and Machado....

I don't dispute the Phillies have money to throw around. The read I get from the Braves is that they have the money to go get anyone they want. So, while I don't see the Braves signing Machado AND Harper, I can very much see them being in play for one or the other.

I expect both Atlanta and Philly will be an attractive free agency destination. Both are young teams with a lot of talent who look to have a pretty solid window of contention.

PaladinFan
July 18th, 2018, 04:58 AM
Looks like Machado to the Dodgers is all but a done deal.

As a Braves fan, that is a relief. It would have been less than ideal to see Philadelphia land him.

caribbeanhen
July 18th, 2018, 02:23 PM
Looks like Machado to the Dodgers is all but a done deal.

As a Braves fan, that is a relief. It would have been less than ideal to see Philadelphia land him.

You know what, if it was for rental With the Phillies giving up all those prospects for 2 1/2 months. Hmmmm

And then he doesn’t sign with the Phillies long term it might’ve worked out

I think the Phillies and the braves are setting up to be going at each other pretty hard for the next 3 to 5 years

Laker
July 19th, 2018, 08:17 PM
I think that Rob Manfred is a dink after he badmouthed Trout. He talks about expansion to 32 teams. He lists 6 possibilites:

Charlotte
Las Vegas
Montreal
Nashville
Portland
Vancouver

Anyone have other suggestions?

https://deadspin.com/rob-manfred-says-he-wants-mlb-expansion-lists-six-pote-1827712616

PaladinFan
July 20th, 2018, 12:07 PM
I think that Rob Manfred is a dink after he badmouthed Trout. He talks about expansion to 32 teams. He lists 6 possibilites:

Charlotte
Las Vegas
Montreal
Nashville
Portland
Vancouver

Anyone have other suggestions?

https://deadspin.com/rob-manfred-says-he-wants-mlb-expansion-lists-six-pote-1827712616

I'd love to see Montreal with a team again. Growing up watching the NL East, Vlad Guerrero was my favorite player.

PaladinFan
July 20th, 2018, 02:10 PM
Big series kicking off tonight. Braves @ Nationals. Nats are 5.5 out and 5 games behind Atlanta.

Not the end of the world for either team, but you know both clubs are going to want to avoid a sleep.

Sunday's matchup should be a humdinger between Scherzer and Foltynewicz.

JacksFan40
July 20th, 2018, 05:16 PM
St Louis is beating the Cubs 18-5 bottom of the 9th.
Matt Carpenter is 5-5 hitting with 3 HR’s.
Is the most points a team has put up in a while?

Bisonoline
July 21st, 2018, 12:45 AM
Worst call ever--

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1019942331452182529

caribbeanhen
July 21st, 2018, 06:13 AM
St Louis is beating the Cubs 18-5 bottom of the 9th.
Matt Carpenter is 5-5 hitting with 3 HR’s.
Is the most points a team has put up in a while?

jack's fan you raise an interesting point as there are no points in baseball

bonarae
July 21st, 2018, 06:22 AM

Points? Runs are where they are in baseball. There were games before the All-Star break this season that a team scored 20+ runs. But 30 runs is the record, set back in 2004?

PaladinFan
July 21st, 2018, 08:18 AM
Braves beat the Nats and Strasburg 8-5. Strasburg and Scherzer get into a yelling match in the dugout.

The Nationals are as tightly wound as any team I can remember seeing.

JacksFan40
July 21st, 2018, 01:04 PM
Sorry, I don’t watch much baseball but I found 18 RUNS to be quite a lot.

grizband
July 21st, 2018, 01:51 PM
Points? Runs are where they are in baseball. There were games before the All-Star break this season that a team scored 20+ runs. But 30 runs is the record, set back in 2004?
Good memory, bonarae, you were close; I'll admit I had to look up this statistic.

From Wikipedia:
The record for most runs scored by a team in a single game is 36, set by the Chicago Colts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Colts) (now the Chicago Cubs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Cubs)) against the Louisville Colonels (which joined the National League (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_League) in 1892) on June 29, 1897. The modern-day record of 30 was set on August 22, 2007, by the Texas Rangers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Rangers_(baseball))against the Baltimore Orioles (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Orioles) in the first game of a doubleheader at Oriole Park (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriole_Park_at_Camden_Yards).

caribbeanhen
July 22nd, 2018, 07:06 AM
Sorry, I don’t watch much baseball but I found 18 RUNS to be quite a lot.

If your watching or following some baseball, no need to be sorry!!!

Drblankstare
July 22nd, 2018, 01:19 PM
Braves beat the Nats and Strasburg 8-5. Strasburg and Scherzer get into a yelling match in the dugout.

The Nationals are as tightly wound as any team I can remember seeing.

Nats have to be the biggest disappointments I can remember in a long time. On the flip side of that is how pumped must Braves fans be, that was a fairly quick rebuild.

caribbeanhen
July 22nd, 2018, 01:28 PM
Nats have to be the biggest disappointments I can remember in a long time. On the flip side of that is how pumped must Braves fans be, that was a fairly quick rebuild.

Albies

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 22nd, 2018, 08:40 PM
Phils take 2 or 3 from SD. Dodgers coming in next!!

PaladinFan
July 23rd, 2018, 04:47 AM

The surprise this season has been how fast the team got better. Virtually every Braves fan was mentally prepared for 2018 to be a season where there were slight steps forward, but nothing close to playoff contention (especially considering Washington’s anticipated dominance over the division).

The team has not only played well, but they are fun to watch.

PaladinFan
July 24th, 2018, 06:58 AM
Interesting chatter from Jim Bowden, who quotes Alex Anthopolous as stating the Braves have the capacity to move for a bat, reliever, and starter.

My general thought is that while a lot of teams are trying to land deals on the rental market, the Braves may be laying the foundation for a bigger move for controllable players. The sky is sort of the limit when you begin to think about who the Braves might be targeting.

I cannot see the Braves give up legitimate talent for a two month rental. That would almost undo years of building the farm system. By now, the Braves probably have a good idea of who is going to be part of the future and who is not.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
July 25th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Phils won a 16th inning marathon against the Dodgers last night. I stayed up until it's conclusion around 1:15 A.M. They came back for a 12:35 start and were able to notch another win. They're playing great baseball right now. The Reds are dangerous! I was in Cincinnati the weekend of the 13th/14th/15th.

caribbeanhen
July 25th, 2018, 06:03 PM
Phils won a 16th inning marathon against the Dodgers last night. I stayed up until it's conclusion around 1:15 A.M. They came back for a 12:35 start and were able to notch another win. They're playing great baseball right now. The Reds are dangerous! I was in Cincinnati the weekend of the 13th/14th/15th.

The Reds are the best worst team in baseball, yep.... they could turn the corner quickly with some pitching

Kiki Hernandez, the utility power hitter for the Dodger pitched that 16th inning when Trevor Plouffe hit a high soft 84 mph fastball into the RF seats

Alex Verdugo is going to be a good hitter for a long time

Laker
July 27th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Star Tribune Sports‏ @StribSports (https://twitter.com/StribSports) 42s42 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/StribSports/status/1022953792885727233)More

Eduardo Escobar traded by #MNTwins (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MNTwins?src=hash)https://abs.twimg.com/hashflags/MinnesotaTwins2018/MinnesotaTwins2018.png (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MNTwins?src=hash) to Arizona for three Class A players, from @MillerStrib (https://twitter.com/MillerStrib) in Boston. Miguel Sano has been called up. http://strib.mn/2OkAJyR (https://t.co/X7V1wZPXJz)

PaladinFan
July 28th, 2018, 01:32 PM
The Braves have been strangely quiet on the trade front, only landing former favorite son Johnny Venters for what amounts to peanuts.

Atlanta has been mighty poor of late, but no one in the NL East is doing much streaking at the moment. It could be the roughest patch of the season does not do too much harm in the standings.

I still expect Atlanta to make a big move on the trade front. Playoffs don't come around every year and if you can get better, you should try to.

ngineer
July 28th, 2018, 09:41 PM
I don't expect the Phils to do too much on the trade front. They just did some tweaking with getting Cabrera from the Mets, but they aren't going to mess up what is turning out to be a very good foundation for the next five years. They remind me of the Phillies of 2006, who missed the playoffs on the last day of the season, but were establishing a solid lineup that served them well through 2011.

caribbeanhen
July 28th, 2018, 09:53 PM
I don't expect the Phils to do too much on the trade front. They just did some tweaking with getting Cabrera from the Mets, but they aren't going to mess up what is turning out to be a very good foundation for the next five years. They remind me of the Phillies of 2006, who missed the playoffs on the last day of the season, but were establishing a solid lineup that served them well through 2011.

they kind of remind me of the 69 miracle Mets

PaladinFan
July 29th, 2018, 06:41 AM
Well, the Braves have been awful this week, but fortunately the Phils and Nats haven't been much better.

Braves fans are getting restless watching other teams improve at the deadline for relatively little in acquisition cost.

PaladinFan
July 30th, 2018, 06:29 AM
Sean Newcomb carved up the Dodgers and was one out (one strike, really) from a complete game. 8 2/3 innings of shutout/no hit ball with 134 pitches is not something you see a whole lot of in 2018.

Braves have made two deals for relievers by trading away international slot money. A fairly shrewd move, I think, given that Atlanta is in a penalty box on international spending due to John Copollela's misdeeds. So, they've managed to improve the pen without actually trading a prospect.

There are still a lot of rumors swirling around the Braves.

PaladinFan
July 31st, 2018, 04:55 AM
Braves make a surprising trade for Reds OF Adam Duvall. Duvall has had a rough season in 2018, but he’s still coming off two back to back 30 homer seasons and is controlled until 2022.

The general take is that he upgrades Atlatna’s bench and offers a much bigger power profile from the right side. Atlanta will likely play him against LHPs and move Acuna to CF. Inciarte has struggled against lefties this season. He will also be under team control for a while and may lessen the eventual departure of Nick Markakis.

Braves deal Lucas Sims, Matt Wisler, and Preston Tucker to Cincinnati. All three are “AAAA” players at this point who are going to get squeezed out by rising talent in the Braves system. Atlanta has made 3 separate deadline deals, improved the team, and not traded a single player that really had a future in the organization.

Laker
July 31st, 2018, 06:49 AM
The Twins are having a garage sale. I thought that Dozier would be gone- maybe by 3 PM CDT he will be. They did manage to beat the Indians in the bottom of the 9th last night.

PaladinFan
July 31st, 2018, 02:32 PM
Braves get Kevin Gausman from O's. No report yet on the return.

Edit: The trade is both for Gausman and Darren O'day, the sidewinding Oriole reliever. Atlanta sends back four prospects, only one of which really breaks into Atlanta's top 30. O'day looks like he's on the shelf for the rest of the season, but will likely be a part of the pen next season.

Good work by the Braves. They addressed the pen, rotation, and bench without trading a single player that will likely have a future in Atlanta or any of their better prospects.

Sidenote: By holding on to all of their top prospects, I am inclined to think Atlanta is going to unload for someone this winter.

ngineer
August 1st, 2018, 04:37 PM
Phillies have done the same. Made some upgrades without sacrificing the future. The NL East could be like the AL East is between NY and Bos in the coming years between Phils and Braves.

PaladinFan
August 2nd, 2018, 04:41 AM
With recent trades, Braves have aggressively promoted a lot of their top pitchers. One of the hidden benefits of a few of the deadline deals was the ability to clear spots off the 40 man roster.

Due to a number of rainouts and upcoming double headers, I believe the Braves are essentially going to be going with a six man rotation, likely taxiing Max Fried, Luiz Gohara, and Kolby Allard back and forth from Gwinnett. That is one of the advantages of having your AAA team one county over.

I expect we will soon see Touki Toussaint, the young fire baller who has effectively torn up AA and AAA this year. He’s carrying a strikeout rate of +10, so his stuff can play out of the bullpen too.

Going forward, the challenge I think is for the Braves to manage a lot of their young players down the stretch. Few of these guys have played this much baseball or been called on to pitch as often as they will.

caribbeanhen
August 2nd, 2018, 05:58 PM
Ian Anderson coming into his own at advanced A ball, the Braves #1 pick out of high school in 2016..... untouchable

Son sent me a text as he was watching batting practice in Queens tonight

" I saw Acuna taking batting practice, the ball flies off his bat like nobody else, he was launching em in the second deck"

free tickets for active duty, the cold beer cost him 10 bucks.....

PaladinFan
August 3rd, 2018, 05:00 AM
Ian Anderson coming into his own at advanced A ball, the Braves #1 pick out of high school in 2016..... untouchable

Son sent me a text as he was watching batting practice in Queens tonight

" I saw Acuna taking batting practice, the ball flies off his bat like nobody else, he was launching em in the second deck"

free tickets for active duty, the cold beer cost him 10 bucks.....

Acuna is going to be a special player. A real 5 tool talent. He’s been thriving in the leadoff spot.

PaladinFan
August 3rd, 2018, 07:25 AM
I remember reading this early in the season when Atlanta and Philly were playing one another a bunch early in the season, but it seems more relevant now.

The Braves and Phillies play 7 times over the final 10 games of the season. I expect those games are going to be playoff-like atmospheres.

caribbeanhen
August 3rd, 2018, 12:48 PM
Acuna is going to be a special player. A real 5 tool talent. He’s been thriving in the leadoff spot.

he has looked better at the plate after the break for sure, Acuna and Albies are good enough to get the Braves into the playoffs despite other holes in Braves lineup

PaladinFan
August 4th, 2018, 06:51 AM
Weird quirk of baseball.

Jacob deGrom, who I think should be the NL Cy Young, has started 5 games against Atlanta. In those 5 games, his ERA is 1.09. The Mets have lost all 5.

caribbeanhen
August 4th, 2018, 07:18 AM
Weird quirk of baseball.

Jacob deGrom, who I think should be the NL Cy Young, has started 5 games against Atlanta. In those 5 games, his ERA is 1.09. The Mets have lost all 5.

Jose Reyes still playing for the Mets is all you need to know

I credit the Mets for not trading Degroom, the still have, although injured to much, a pretty good rotation and it all starts with pitching

but they need alot of help, Todd Frazier.... way over the hill, Cespedes is 32 going on 45.... now having surgery on both ankles....

ngineer
August 4th, 2018, 08:29 PM
I remember reading this early in the season when Atlanta and Philly were playing one another a bunch early in the season, but it seems more relevant now.

The Braves and Phillies play 7 times over the final 10 games of the season. I expect those games are going to be playoff-like atmospheres.

Yes, it should be a great time in both cities. Both teams "ahead of schedule", so an unanticipated treat!

bonarae
August 5th, 2018, 04:33 AM
Meanwhile...

The last manager who is still in his team from the 2000s will be stepping down at the end of this season. Scioscia is finally retiring.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-scioscia-to-step-down-as-angels-manager/c-288938414

PaladinFan
August 5th, 2018, 06:24 AM
Jose Reyes still playing for the Mets is all you need to know

I credit the Mets for not trading Degroom, the still have, although injured to much, a pretty good rotation and it all starts with pitching

but they need alot of help, Todd Frazier.... way over the hill, Cespedes is 32 going on 45.... now having surgery on both ankles....

I think they need to trade the lot of them. Yes, the rotation looks really solid, but they aren’t winning with that rotation now. They are old at just about every position and have a weak farm system.

The Mets are in a division where every team is younger, more talented, and supported by deeper farms than they are. The only way to fix that is to get serious about rebuilding.

Bisonoline
August 5th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Meanwhile...

The last manager who is still in his team from the 2000s will be stepping down at the end of this season. Scioscia is finally retiring.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-scioscia-to-step-down-as-angels-manager/c-288938414

He is?

bonarae
August 5th, 2018, 05:53 PM
He is?

Bochy is the other one remaining. Scioscia is the longest-tenured MLB manager ATM.

Bisonoline
August 5th, 2018, 06:03 PM
Bochy is the other one remaining. Scioscia is the longest-tenured MLB manager ATM.

Where did it say he was retiring? I read he wasnt.

PaladinFan
August 6th, 2018, 06:27 AM
Good news is the Braves are playing well. Bad news is so are the Phillies and Nationals. Nobody is really opening or closing a gap.

Big stretch coming up for Atlanta. 22 games in 20 days with series against Washington, Milwaukee, Colorado, and Pittsburgh.

Still a bit early, but this is a big week in the NL East. Atlanta/Washington will have four games that might be the biggest series of the year for the Nationals while Philly is on a west coast road swing and has a good Arizona team.

caribbeanhen
August 6th, 2018, 08:03 PM
I think they need to trade the lot of them. Yes, the rotation looks really solid, but they aren’t winning with that rotation now. They are old at just about every position and have a weak farm system.

The Mets are in a division where every team is younger, more talented, and supported by deeper farms than they are. The only way to fix that is to get serious about rebuilding.

teams were not getting top prospects going into the trading deadline, now that is understandable why the Mets would hold DeGroom for now anyway, offseason trade would fetch more, If I were the Mets and the Braves called, I would say Pache, Anderson, Austin and Wentz..... aim high... You have to make sure you get serious prospects when talking about trading one of the best pitchers in baseball in his prime, he can still pitch for another 10 years and be around for the rebuild, Velander kind of caught a second wind when everyone thought he was done....... if someone wants DeGroom they will have to pay hard or else no deal, I'll keep him

PaladinFan
August 10th, 2018, 06:44 AM
Well, Braves get a split in D.C. Sort of a bad luck series for Atlanta, who had to go to their pen early in games 1 and 4 after the starters took liners off their body. That was the Bravos last trip to Washington this season.

Big series coming up tonight in Atlanta against the Brewers, who would be the two wild card teams if the season ended today.

caribbeanhen
August 11th, 2018, 06:55 AM
looking like the Braves will call up Touki Tousiant (sic) for a start Monday....

Ronald Acuna looking more and more comfortable at the plate, the Braves need the kiddies to shine down the stretch

caribbeanhen
August 14th, 2018, 05:58 PM
Acuna leads off both game of a double dip with long homers, the kid is coming into his own now and throw him a strike and take cover.... he will determine how far the average Braves go this year

PaladinFan
August 14th, 2018, 09:12 PM
Acuna leads off both game of a double dip with long homers, the kid is coming into his own now and throw him a strike and take cover.... he will determine how far the average Braves go this year

Homers again twice tonight, including another HR on the first pitch of the game.

caribbeanhen
August 14th, 2018, 09:46 PM
Homers again twice tonight, including another HR on the first pitch of the game.

you know what, if he keeps this up somebody will start the Acuna for MVP rumor...... shhhhhhh

PaladinFan
August 15th, 2018, 04:52 AM
you know what, if he keeps this up somebody will start the Acuna for MVP rumor...... shhhhhhh

It’s historic company.

Braves are taking advantage of their home stand and opened up a 2 game lead on the Phillies and 8 games on the Nationals. Atlanta is putting hay in the barn against Miami with tough series coming up.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 15th, 2018, 11:41 PM
Phils got a HUGE win over the Red Sox tonight. The fell behind 3-0 in the 3rd then reeled off 7 straight runs. Ramos was awesome in his debut. Bour had a good game too.The Sox are 15-3 since the break, 2 of those losses are against Philly. The Phightins need to take 3 out of 4 against the Mutts this weekend to put the pressure back on Atlanta. This is going to be fun....

PaladinFan
August 16th, 2018, 06:32 AM
Braves sweep 4 from the Marlins. Things got testy tonight as Urena threw a 97 mph fastball right into Ronald Acuna's arm on the first pitch of the game.

There are many in the national media calling for a heavy suspension for Urena. You have a 20 year old who is on a historic tear right now, and Urena opts to try to throw 97 directly at him. To this point, x-rays are negative, but that easily could have broken a bone in Acuna's arm.

MLB has to step in and put a stop to this "old school" beanball approach. Acuna hasn't done a thing wrong besides torch the Marlins this week. There is no doubt (Mattingly doesn't even try to deny) that Urena was throwing that ball intentionally. It was the hardest opening pitch Urena has thrown all season, and he hit Acuna on the first pitch of the game. I've never seen such an obviously intentional attempt to hit a batter.

PaladinFan
August 16th, 2018, 06:35 AM
Phils got a HUGE win over the Red Sox tonight. The fell behind 3-0 in the 3rd then reeled off 7 straight runs. Ramos was awesome in his debut. Bour had a good game too.The Sox are 15-3 since the break, 2 of those losses are against Philly. The Phightins need to take 3 out of 4 against the Mutts this weekend to put the pressure back on Atlanta. This is going to be fun....

I think Washington's done. 9 back with 41 to play.

caribbeanhen
August 16th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Braves sweep 4 from the Marlins. Things got testy tonight as Urena threw a 97 mph fastball right into Ronald Acuna's arm on the first pitch of the game.

There are many in the national media calling for a heavy suspension for Urena. You have a 20 year old who is on a historic tear right now, and Urena opts to try to throw 97 directly at him. To this point, x-rays are negative, but that easily could have broken a bone in Acuna's arm.

MLB has to step in and put a stop to this "old school" beanball approach. Acuna hasn't done a thing wrong besides torch the Marlins this week. There is no doubt (Mattingly doesn't even try to deny) that Urena was throwing that ball intentionally. It was the hardest opening pitch Urena has thrown all season, and he hit Acuna on the first pitch of the game. I've never seen such an obviously intentional attempt to hit a batter.

baseball needs young superstars on the field and out of the ER.....

All the old school talker should remember that 90 MPH used to be a serious heat, today it's a change up, big difference getting drilled by a 97 MPH fastball......

PaladinFan
August 19th, 2018, 07:03 AM
Good grief. The Braves have had the Rockies on the ropes in the 9th inning twice the last three games and couldn't close it out. The Rox are a good team, but I hope those losses don't come back to bite us.

bonarae
August 19th, 2018, 07:13 AM
Meanwhile...

How about those A's! Can their momentum last til the end of September? xchinscratchx

ngineer
August 19th, 2018, 11:06 PM
Both Phillies and Braves could not take advantage of either team's miserable week. I think this will be going down the the last week and I think the Phils and Braves face each other 7 of the last 10 games. Should be fun!

caribbeanhen
August 20th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Both Phillies and Braves could not take advantage of either team's miserable week. I think this will be going down the the last week and I think the Phils and Braves face each other 7 of the last 10 games. Should be fun!

millenial kiddie stars vs Air bnb Rent to win Phils!

CHIP72
August 20th, 2018, 05:43 PM
Meanwhile...

How about those A's! Can their momentum last til the end of September? xchinscratchx

Or late October...

Here's an interesting trend that is worth mentioning that relates to the A's this season:

2014: Kansas City Royals appear in the World Series, 29 years after their last World Series win (1985)
2015: New York Mets appear in the World Series, 29 years after their last World Series win (1986)
2017: Los Angeles Dodgers appear in the World Series, 29 years after their last World Series win (1988)

Who won the World Series 29 years ago, in 1989? The Oakland A's - it was their last World Series win.

If the bizarre trend described above continues, the A's will win the AL pennant (though lose in the World Series) this season.

PaladinFan
August 21st, 2018, 04:53 AM
Braves send Bryse Wilson, another 20 year old, out there last night. Gets the 1-0 win in Pittsburgh.

It’s dizzying how much young starting pitching Atlanta has. We still haven’t seen arguably the top pitching prospect, Kyle Wright, who is sitting in AAA.

caribbeanhen
August 21st, 2018, 02:13 PM
Braves send Bryse Wilson, another 20 year old, out there last night. Gets the 1-0 win in Pittsburgh.

It’s dizzying how much young starting pitching Atlanta has. We still haven’t seen arguably the top pitching prospect, Kyle Wright, who is sitting in AAA.

20 year old Ian Anderson promoted to AA... as well as Pache

caribbeanhen
August 21st, 2018, 08:13 PM
Kopech debut has the dreary White sox crowd into the game, good too see

PaladinFan
August 22nd, 2018, 10:10 PM
Braves sweep Pirates in Pittsburgh while Phillies have lost four straight. Atlanta opens up a 3.0 game lead in the division.

Still a lot of baseball left to be played, and memories of Atlanta's epic collapse a few years ago are fresh in my mind.

Braves finish out their 22 games in 20 day run with 4 in Miami. They'll have a lighter end of August, but the Red Sox and a west coast road swing lurking in early September.

Phillies play a lot of September games at home, but that final two weeks with 4 in Atlanta, 4 in Colorado, and back home for 3 against Atlanta looming large. Should be a fun stretch run.

caribbeanhen
August 23rd, 2018, 05:13 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlJzdNeX4AEvrwa.jpg

this thread is now interrupted for a proud father moment - My Son, to Jacob DeGroms left, was named the MVP of the NY Mets military softball tournement played at Citi Filed - the let him stay on the field for batting pratice.....

I asked him what did DeGroom have to say? Son said I told him nice job on that complete game vs the Phils..... reply from best pitcher in NL was Thanks, that one run was on me...

Nice Job son!

ok, back to the thread....

PaladinFan
August 23rd, 2018, 07:11 AM
Great work. Did he ask him to request a trade to Atlanta?

caribbeanhen
August 23rd, 2018, 03:09 PM
Great work. Did he ask him to request a trade to Atlanta?

I dont know but he did say Sandy Alderson the Mets GM shook his hand and told him nice game, no contract though.... haha

ngineer
August 24th, 2018, 10:19 PM
Phils offense has hit a rough patch. Getting shut down by guys with mediocre numbers, then beat supposed top-shelf guys. Nola has become tremendously consistent and if he keeps this up, could end up with Cy Young. Has the lowest ERA of any pitcher at this point in the season since Chris Short in 1964, who ended up with a 1.95. I want to see Roman Quinn get more PT. Despite his occasional power, Herrerra has become a liability in the field and on the base paths.

PaladinFan
August 25th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Phils offense has hit a rough patch. Getting shut down by guys with mediocre numbers, then beat supposed top-shelf guys. Nola has become tremendously consistent and if he keeps this up, could end up with Cy Young. Has the lowest ERA of any pitcher at this point in the season since Chris Short in 1964, who ended up with a 1.95. I want to see Roman Quinn get more PT. Despite his occasional power, Herrerra has become a liability in the field and on the base paths.

All three teams lost last night. It would have been nice to win while Philly and Washington lost, but when you are the first place team one more day off the calendar with status quo in check is a win in itself.

caribbeanhen
August 25th, 2018, 07:17 AM

Chris Short, now there is name from the past, saw him in Lewes when I was a kid, I'm sure he was already retired but very sure he was lit up and I'm not talking abot any pitching performance

Nola has been a joy to watch.... agree he is the Cy Young right now

Braves pitching has given up about 2 runs all week, but getting shutout in Miami is a problem

katss07
August 25th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Great Cardinals-Rockies game last night! Its been a fun month for my Redbirds, and last night felt like a playoff game. No lead is safe in that park. Cardinals bullpen came through, BIG.

SFA 93
August 25th, 2018, 02:07 PM
https://twitter.com/sfapurplehaze/status/1033345720223453184?s=21

a Lumberjack and Bearkat make MLB history last night. Southland Strong.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 25th, 2018, 06:16 PM
Phils blow another game and fall to the Jays 8-6. At this point I'm not sure if they'll finish above .500. The wheels have completely fallen off....

PaladinFan
August 26th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Phils blow another game and fall to the Jays 8-6. At this point I'm not sure if they'll finish above .500. The wheels have completely fallen off....

The Phillies are doing what I sort of assumed would happen to Atlanta--good young team with guys that just aren't used to playing baseball this late into the summer.

One thing Atlanta has done that seems to be working is using their deep bench at AAA. They are effectively running a six-man rotation now and keeping young pitchers fresher. Of course, it helps that Atlanta has a good offense and can put 5 or 6 on the board every night (last two games notwithstanding), which can mitigate some mistakes by the pitching staff.

PaladinFan
August 26th, 2018, 09:50 PM
Looks like a few teams have already been eliminated - Royals and Orioles.

Braves get a much needed day off tomorrow after 22 games in 20 days.

Big series starting in Philadelphia as the Phillies and Nationals get together.

PaladinFan
August 28th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Philadelphia right now is around -100 defensive runs saved. That puts them on pace to be one of the worst defensive teams in recent memory.

If they miss the playoffs by a game or two, hard not to circle that statistic as the primary culprit.

MR. CHICKEN
August 28th, 2018, 03:16 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28590&stc=1.............PHIGHTIN'S....PICK-UP....JOSE BAUTISTA FROM....METS.......AWK!

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2018, 07:15 AM
It is moving time for the Braves. The Phillies are struggling and the Nationals have all but run up the white flag.

The magic number is 27. Philadelphia has an easier September than Atlanta, but the Braves have done a good job of putting hay in the barn.

bonarae
August 29th, 2018, 07:39 AM
NL Central is far from settled...

Milwaukee and the two rivals (St. Louis and the Cubs) are all chasing the pennant and possibly both WC slots... xcoffeex

caribbeanhen
August 29th, 2018, 05:23 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28590&stc=1.............PHIGHTIN'S....PICK-UP....JOSE BAUTISTA FROM....METS.......AWK!

Lil Joey has got the goods on the Braves, passed around like a sailors date in a foriegn port.... will he talk?

- - - Updated - - -

Lil Joey has got the goods on the Braves, passed around like a sailors date in a foriegn port.... will he talk?

ngineer
August 30th, 2018, 09:52 PM
Phillies come from behind win last night over Washington was impressive. This team could have folded like a cheap tent. Could be a catalyst for the coming month. 11 games with the Braves. Both teams control their fates.

caribbeanhen
September 1st, 2018, 09:00 AM
Phillies come from behind win last night over Washington was impressive. This team could have folded like a cheap tent. Could be a catalyst for the coming month. 11 games with the Braves. Both teams control their fates.

judging by the attendance, the Philly Metro is not sold on the Phils.... 22,000 is pegged at the gate last few games

Braves are an average team without the young superstar..... Maybe that's why teams keep trying to get in his head by throwing at him

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 04:56 AM
Acuna hits another leadoff homer (his 7th) and ties an Atlanta Braves record. Impressive in that he's tied that record in, I think, 41 games as a leadoff hitter.

I think the division will be decided over the next 10 days. Atlanta has a 4 game cushion, but has 3 with Boston, 4 at Arizona, and 3 at San Fran. The Phillies have Marlins, Mets, and Nationals - a much easier row.

If the Phillies cannot close the gap during that stretch, I am not sure they are going to.

caribbeanhen
September 3rd, 2018, 06:41 AM
Acuna is the MVP of the NL because without him the Braves are well....... the Braves....

ngineer
September 3rd, 2018, 09:01 PM
Acuna hits another leadoff homer (his 7th) and ties an Atlanta Braves record. Impressive in that he's tied that record in, I think, 41 games as a leadoff hitter.

I think the division will be decided over the next 10 days. Atlanta has a 4 game cushion, but has 3 with Boston, 4 at Arizona, and 3 at San Fran. The Phillies have Marlins, Mets, and Nationals - a much easier row.

If the Phillies cannot close the gap during that stretch, I am not sure they are going to.

Sounds rational;however, I still remember the great 'catch' of free-falling Mets in 2007. 7 1/2 games back with two weeks to go and passed them on the last day..Phillies seem to play better against better teams (up until this week). Phils still have a raft of games with the Braves, so I am hoping they are within sniffing range by then. I have tickets to the 9/28 game at CBP hoping "it" will still be up for grabs at that point.

MR. CHICKEN
September 4th, 2018, 07:02 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28658&stc=1...........PHILS........DO NOT HAVE GOOD RECORD......AGIN' CONFERENCE FOES........ON PAPER......SKED LOOKS LIKE AN EASY STRETCH.........FISH/MUTTS/GNATS.......VERAH TOUGH ON PHIGHTIN'S....AWK!

ngineer
September 4th, 2018, 10:35 PM
Offense woke up tonight in Miami, so maybe a corner has been turned. But the question is whether the new road is a dead end. Arrieta back on track. Phils close within 3. Big week coming up with the Bravos having to travel to AZ.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2018, 03:44 AM
Offense woke up tonight in Miami, so maybe a corner has been turned. But the question is whether the new road is a dead end. Arrieta back on track. Phils close within 3. Big week coming up with the Bravos having to travel to AZ.

This is when the Phillies have to go to work. The Braves have a tough schedule and the Phillies a light one. Every game is a big one, and the two teams play each other a bunch in late September.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2018, 03:46 AM
The Braves No. 2 prospect, Kyle Wright, debuted last night. He struck out Jackie Bradley on a curve ball that he missed so bad he slung his bat into the stands.

Another high ceiling pitching prospect for Atlanta.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2018, 09:50 PM
Braves swept by Red Sox after coughing up huge lead today. Phillies lose two of three to Marlins.

ngineer
September 5th, 2018, 10:33 PM
Braves swept by Red Sox after coughing up huge lead today. Phillies lose two of three to Marlins.

Yep. Offense went to sleep again after a one day awakening. Wasted a great outing by Pivetta. Rookie Quinn made huge base running error getting doubled off first on a line out. Follow three batters got hits scoring one run, but would have been at least two but for the bonehead running. Still think they can rally the last three weeks of the season but they really don't deserve to win the division with the lousy defense and base running mistakes that must lead the majors.

MR. CHICKEN
September 6th, 2018, 12:49 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28683&stc=1..............PHILLY...CONTINUES....TA UNDER-PERFORM....AGIN' DUH....FISH.........MUTTS ON HORIZON....WHIFF @LEAST......ONE L....COMIN'....DEGROM SKEDDED IN DUH SERIES....BEGS DUH ?.......WHAA DON'T KAP & CREW.....UH CLUELESS COACHES........NOT SEE WHAT.....RICKY BO ETAL....DO...xconfusedxxdontknowxxconfusedx....... ....AWQ!!

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2018, 07:00 AM
I stayed up way too late watching both the Falcons and the Braves.

Braves get a nice win on day the Phillies were idle.

Falcons' redzone struggles continue.

The NFL's insistence on over-legislating their game is going to drive me away from it.

MR. CHICKEN
September 9th, 2018, 12:44 PM
........PHILS...CATCH BREAK....AS DE GROM....IS SCRATCHED FROM....TADAZE...LINE-UP.........LET'S TAKE ADVANTAGE.......AS GAME WILL BE PLAYED IN ALL DAY RAIN.....METS GROUND CREW.....DUMPIN' DRYIN' AGENT...ALL-OVERAH...DUH PLACE......CAIN'T AFFORD RAIN-OUTS DIS LATE IN SEASON....OCT. 1st.....WOOD BE MAKE-UP DATE......SO....UH-UH.....PLAY BALL.....COREY OSWALT...TAKES MOUND....FO' NY.....vs....VINNIE VELASQUEZ......HOSKINS GOES YARD WHIFF MAN ON....AS AH TYPE......2-0....PHILLY.......BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
September 9th, 2018, 03:53 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28713&stc=1.....EVEN WHIFF-OUT...DE GROM.........METS WHIP PHILLY....6-4....TAKE....'NOTHERAH SERIES ......xbangx...AWQ!

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2018, 04:48 AM
Great "playoff-like" series for the Braves in the Desert. A lot of really good baseball, tight games, and big moments.

I believe the next week will pretty much decide the division. The Braves' magic number to clinch is 16.

PaladinFan
September 10th, 2018, 06:12 AM
Acuna also clubbed his 25th homer last night. That kid is something else.

I think Rookie of the Year at this point is a foregone conclusion. The Braves broadcast crew at least floated the idea yesterday that if he keeps up his torrid pace the last few weeks of the season, he might be a darkhorse consideration for MVP.

ngineer
September 10th, 2018, 08:55 PM
Weather is going to play havoc later this week. I can see some DHs coming up that can screw up pitching rotations.

bonarae
September 11th, 2018, 01:47 AM
It's been so late to clinching divisions... the Brew Crew stopped the Cubs' clinching chances at Wrigley for another day.

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2018, 04:55 AM
Braves win late in San Fran and gain half a game against idle Phillies.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2018, 04:57 AM
While not technically over, I think last night might have been the nail in the coffin on the NL East. Braves have a 6.5 game lead with under 20 to play.

At this point, it would take an epic collapse by Atlanta. If the Braves play roughly .500 ball the next few weeks Philadelphia will need to win 14 or 15 out of their final 18 to keep pace. Mathematically a possibility, but a small one.

Laker
September 12th, 2018, 07:21 AM
Twins finally beat the Yankees 10-5 after Mauer's 5th career grand slam.

PaladinFan
September 12th, 2018, 11:12 AM
There is some scuttlebut as to whether Ronald Acuna could be the NL MVP (I think he's the runaway winner of the ROY).

https://www.mlb.com/news/could-ronald-acuna-win-nl-mvp-award/c-294195414

I agree with the writer that it is a long shot, but Acuna has been out of his mind good the second half of the season.

Braves fans have a lot to get excited about watching this core play for most of the next decade.

TTUEagles
September 12th, 2018, 09:28 PM
While not technically over, I think last night might have been the nail in the coffin on the NL East. Braves have a 6.5 game lead...

SEVEN AND A HALF Games now!!! Take 2 out of 3 from the Nats this weekend and end their hopes...

Laker
September 12th, 2018, 09:59 PM
Twins take the series from the Yankees two games to one. Jake Odorozzi took a no hitter into the 8th.

If every game was as exciting as this one I'd watch every night............

https://twitter.com/i/status/1040069009956380672

PaladinFan
September 13th, 2018, 05:03 AM
SEVEN AND A HALF Games now!!! Take 2 out of 3 from the Nats this weekend and end their hopes...

The Braves strong road trip just about put the NL East to bed. Really good baseball all week.

Laker
September 15th, 2018, 07:40 AM
Pitchers duel.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnEO1kjXcAE62Wu.jpg

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2018, 08:04 AM
The Braves are one of the few clubs with a live organist for every home game. He typically trolls opposing players with a little diddy before every opposing batter. Sometimes you have to put on your thinking cap to make the connection, as it could be anything from pop music to classical.

Interestingly, when Bryce Harper came to the plate yesterday he played "Georgia on my Mind." Subtle.

caribbeanhen
September 16th, 2018, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=PaladinFan;2670034]Acuna also clubbed his 25th homer last night. That kid is something else.

I think Rookie of the Year at this point is a foregone conclusion. The Braves broadcast crew at least floated the idea yesterday that if he keeps up his torrid pace the last few weeks of the season, he might be a darkhorse consideration for MVP.[/QUOTE

been saying Acuna is the MVP for a month
Re: 2018 MLB Thread
Acuna is the MVP of the NL because without him the Braves are well....... the Braves....

ngineer
September 16th, 2018, 08:57 PM
Pitchers duel.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnEO1kjXcAE62Wu.jpg

Excellent! Game being played in Weehawken??

ngineer
September 16th, 2018, 08:59 PM
The Braves are one of the few clubs with a live organist for every home game. He typically trolls opposing players with a little diddy before every opposing batter. Sometimes you have to put on your thinking cap to make the connection, as it could be anything from pop music to classical.

Interestingly, when Bryce Harper came to the plate yesterday he played "Georgia on my Mind." Subtle.

I think they played "Philadelphia Freedom"at CBP!

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2018, 09:24 PM
I think they played "Philadelphia Freedom"at CBP!

I expect the Braves and Phillies to be very active on the market this offseason. Atlanta should have some money available and has the prospect capital to trade for just about anyone.

While Atlanta typically does not go full on into the free agent market, I do anticipate that they will make a run at Machado and/or Harper.

My shopping list would be Harper and trade for JT Realmuto.

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2018, 07:11 AM
Braves drop 2 of 3 from a suddenly hot Washington club. Atlanta gains a game toward the post season, though, with Philly losing to Miami. At this point in the season, the "games back" matters less than "games left." Philly still theoretically in it with 7 left to play against the Braves.

The Braves are going to have some tough decisions to make if they reach the post season. You have to think they will try to line up Foltynewicz, Gausman, and Sanchez as their first three starters. Hard to know what to do with Teheran and Newcomb. Some nights those two are electric. Others, they cannot hit the strike zone to save the kingdom.

Big series starting with St. Louis. The Cards are right in the post season race for a wild card and will be full throttle. With 3 against the Cardinals and 7 left against Philly, the Braves are pretty much in playoff baseball right now as those clubs have everything still to play for.

bonarae
September 18th, 2018, 11:46 PM
Orioles became the first pro team to wear Braille jerseys...

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/the-orioles-wore-braille-jerseys/c-295144612

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2018, 08:34 PM
Braves get a needed win and Phillies keep pace. Atlanta's magic number is 6 with Philadelphia coming in for a 4 game set.

A Philly sweep, and they could be within a game and a half. If the Braves win 3 of 4, the Phillies are eliminated from the East race. Would be nice to put a nail in this coffin this weekend before the home crowd.

TTUEagles
September 20th, 2018, 08:38 PM
Took in the middle game of the Cards series. Half-full stadium (at best) and half of the crowd were Cardinals fans...

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2018, 08:57 PM
Took in the middle game of the Cards series. Half-full stadium (at best) and half of the crowd were Cardinals fans...

It's a midweek game and its been 97 degrees for days.

I'll pass.

PaladinFan
September 21st, 2018, 04:56 AM
Atlanta likely mortally wounds Philly, who really needed a 4 game sweep. Braves magic number is four.

bonarae
September 21st, 2018, 05:05 PM
Meanwhile...

Jeff Banister is finished with the Rangers.

ngineer
September 21st, 2018, 10:37 PM
Congrats to the Braves. They deserve to win the division. Phillies, including their manager, were deer in the headlights at crunch time. If you would have told me they would be above .500 at this point of the season back in March, I would have taken it in a heart beat, but after the way they collapsed down the stretch, I question the GM's moves in July/August for not getting some of the experienced pitching that was available (Hamels and Happ). Some of the young pitchers were out of gas in September. Hopefully, they make a couple moves in the offseason for a solid bat or two and a solid reliever. No consistency this year in the pen. No 'stud' closer.

MR. CHICKEN
September 22nd, 2018, 07:05 AM
....DON'T FO'-GET.......BASEBALL'S WORST.....DEFENSE..........&.....DUH 10 TA 12......K'S ....IN OFFENSE....EVERAH GAME............AWK!

TheValleyRaider
September 22nd, 2018, 09:00 AM
Meanwhile...

Jeff Banister is finished with the Rangers.

Surprised they did this now and not when the season ends next week. Something else going on now, or just felt like dumping him now rather than waiting?

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2018, 03:13 PM
Braves take third straight from Philly and clinch NL East.

Homerism aside, I think the Braves are perhaps the biggest story in the MLB this year. Great season.

bonarae
September 27th, 2018, 05:48 AM
John Gibbons is also let go by the Blue Jays.

And... the Brew Crew and the Cubbies are playoff bound; the former to the WC and the latter to the DS facing the WCG winner.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 28th, 2018, 11:04 PM
The way the Phillies are ending the year is both shocking and embarrassing. The team has completely quit on Kaplar. They've lost 9 games in a row with the last 5 being especially ugly; 10-1, 10-3, 14-0, 5-3, 10-2.

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2018, 07:21 AM
The way the Phillies are ending the year is both shocking and embarrassing. The team has completely quit on Kaplar. They've lost 9 games in a row with the last 5 being especially ugly; 10-1, 10-3, 14-0, 5-3, 10-2.

That’s been incredibly surprising. They were in playoff contention two weeks ago and are now 12 games back.

They are going to be an interesting team to follow this offseason.

Laker
September 30th, 2018, 05:26 PM
Joe Mauer gets a double in his last at bat, makes an appearance at catcher in the top of the 9th.

This is probably his last game as a Twin.

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2018, 05:28 PM
Yelich has been in the zone...... what a season the sweet swinging Lefty had

Laker
September 30th, 2018, 05:31 PM
Mauer's career hit chart.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoX4WRHV4AA3m3T.jpg

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Mauer's career hit chart.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoX4WRHV4AA3m3T.jpg

hit to all fields very evenly..... time to fire Molitor

ngineer
September 30th, 2018, 07:33 PM
That’s been incredibly surprising. They were in playoff contention two weeks ago and are now 12 games back.

They are going to be an interesting team to follow this offseason.

Both Phillies broadcasters in today's post game show were speculating on next season's lineup---both have Bryce Harper batting behind Hoskins! If only dreams can come true. Yes, the off season SHOULD be interesting in Philly. Franco and Herrerra are likely gone, regardless. 14 game improvement from last year, but the way the last few weeks went, it doesn't feel that way. At least winning the last two puts a hint of a brighter tomorrow. They need either Pivetta or Eflin to take the next step and show that they can be consistent, or need to get an established quality starter. Cheering for the Braves in the post season.

caribbeanhen
September 30th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Both Phillies broadcasters in today's post game show were speculating on next season's lineup---both have Bryce Harper batting behind Hoskins! If only dreams can come true. Yes, the off season SHOULD be interesting in Philly. Franco and Herrerra are likely gone, regardless. 14 game improvement from last year, but the way the last few weeks went, it doesn't feel that way. At least winning the last two puts a hint of a brighter tomorrow. They need either Pivetta or Eflin to take the next step and show that they can be consistent, or need to get an established quality starter. Cheering for the Braves in the post season.

the collapse towards the end clouds a very fun season for the Phils, Not sure why the announcers are so sure Harper wants to play in Philly, he would look good playing next to Acuna though

bonarae
September 30th, 2018, 10:41 PM
Wow. Game 163 will be in place this season. xeekx

Laker
September 30th, 2018, 10:43 PM

Twice.

BisonFan02
September 30th, 2018, 11:46 PM
Joe Mauer gets a double in his last at bat, makes an appearance at catcher in the top of the 9th.

This is probably his last game as a Twin.

He's done unless he comes back for a 1 year/heavily discounted going away tour....but I kinda doubt it.

bonarae
October 1st, 2018, 01:41 AM
He's done unless he comes back for a 1 year/heavily discounted going away tour....but I kinda doubt it.

Is he going to end his baseball career in Japan or South Korea? xchinscratchx

MTfan4life
October 1st, 2018, 07:08 AM

What's even crazier is that this will be the first "Game 163" where the loser will still be in the playoffs!

Also crazy is the stakes in the Cubs/Brewers game. Winner would get home-field advantage throughout the NL playoffs. Loser would have a one game playoff just for a chance to play the winner again.

Rockies/Dodgers also has interesting stakes. The winner would get to host the Braves in the NLDS and be the number 2 seed. The loser would have to travel to either Milwaukee or Chicago in the Wild Card game for the chance to play Milwaukee or Chicago in the NLDS. The loser also would have zero chance at having home-field advantage in any round.

JayJ79
October 1st, 2018, 07:08 AM
And... the Brew Crew and the Cubbies are playoff bound; the former to the WC and the latter to the DS facing the WCG winner.
are you posting from the future, with knowledge of how today's (Monday) tiebreak game 163 has ended?

bonarae
October 1st, 2018, 07:10 AM
Not sure though. I didn't realize that Game 163 would happen at all... xconfusedx

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2018, 08:01 AM
What's even crazier is that this will be the first "Game 163" where the loser will still be in the playoffs!

Also crazy is the stakes in the Cubs/Brewers game. Winner would get home-field advantage throughout the NL playoffs. Loser would have a one game playoff just for a chance to play the winner again.

Rockies/Dodgers also has interesting stakes. The winner would get to host the Braves in the NLDS and be the number 2 seed. The loser would have to travel to either Milwaukee or Chicago in the Wild Card game for the chance to play Milwaukee or Chicago in the NLDS. The loser also would have zero chance at having home-field advantage in any round.

As a Braves fan, I do not think the opponent really matters. I'd prefer Colorado just because it's a moderately shorter flight and I expect Atlanta's explosive offense would play well at Coors.

I guess the biggest advantage is Atlanta can rest until Thursday while both Colorado and LA have to play an extra game. I imagine both will throw what they have at winning today and avoid the play-in game.

Thumper 76
October 1st, 2018, 12:14 PM
Go BREWERS!!!!!! That is all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Laker
October 1st, 2018, 03:23 PM
Brewers top Cubs in Chicago.

Rockies are at Dodgers now.

Laker
October 2nd, 2018, 11:54 AM
SportsCentre‏Verified account @SportsCentre (https://twitter.com/SportsCentre) 5m5 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/SportsCentre/status/1047166257735356417)More

JUST IN: #Twins (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Twins?src=hash) fire manager Paul Molitor after four seasons.The Baseball Hall of Famer was the American League Manager of the Year in 2017 (via @BNightengale (https://twitter.com/BNightengale)).MORE: http://tsn.ca/1.1184761 (https://t.co/4rQiiB8BSv)

MR. CHICKEN
October 2nd, 2018, 11:24 PM
......CUBS....ROCKIES.......xhugx................B RAWK!

Laker
October 2nd, 2018, 11:30 PM
......CUBS....ROCKIES.......xhugx................B RAWK!

I got back home in the 8th inning. My TV is in the process of dying. Not that there is ever a good time for your TV to go out, but during extra innings in playoff baseball............ well, I hope that it can hang on yet.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2018, 03:41 PM
Kyle Freeland is nasty, man.

bonarae
October 3rd, 2018, 11:45 PM
So long, A's... Let's just hope you will come back next year.

Thumper 76
October 4th, 2018, 07:36 AM
So long, A's... Let's just hope you will come back next year.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using TapatalkThere go my dreams of a Brewers/A's World Series.

POD Knows
October 4th, 2018, 07:42 AM
There go my dreams of a Brewers/A's World Series.

Hate the Yankees.

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2018, 05:02 AM
Rough opener for the Braves in LA. Didn't play terribly, but Ryu was tough and Foltynewicz didn't have great stuff to start. Got behind and just couldn't get the knocks to get some momentum and cut into the lead.

Here's hoping for a road split tonight. Kershaw on the bump. Hopefully the youngsters are settled down a bit and get after it.

TheKingpin28
October 5th, 2018, 07:02 PM
JD Martinez is a bad man. xnodx

POD Knows
October 5th, 2018, 08:05 PM
JD Martinez is a bad man. xnodxWhen he hit that I thought it was a line drive over the third baseman's head. I don't think that ball got 2 feet about the fence at the highest point of trajectory. It was a rocket.

TheKingpin28
October 5th, 2018, 08:15 PM
When he hit that I thought it was a line drive over the third baseman's head. I don't think that ball got 2 feet about the fence at the highest point of trajectory. It was a rocket.

Had he been at Bankee stadium, he would have 2 bombs tonight. JD crushed that ball off the bat and as you said, had that been 2 feet lower, it never would have cleared. Oh and Sale is still the best pitcher in baseball when healthy.

TheKingpin28
October 5th, 2018, 08:21 PM
When he hit that I thought it was a line drive over the third baseman's head. I don't think that ball got 2 feet about the fence at the highest point of trajectory. It was a rocket.

They said the trajectory angle peaked at 24 degrees.

bonarae
October 7th, 2018, 11:40 PM
Wow at Atlanta gaining momentum at home. The grand slam killed any shutout sweep chances by the Dodgers.

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2018, 05:06 AM
Wow at Atlanta gaining momentum at home. The grand slam killed any shutout sweep chances by the Dodgers.

That was a heckuva fun game. I was pacing around the room most of the evening and stayed up entirely too late.

Atlanta is able to go back to Foltynewicz today. He wasn't good in game 1, but has the potential to be lights out. Julio Teheran hasn't pitched yet, and I imagine he's the first man out of the pen.

The Dodgers' lineup is scary. Great plate discipline and they all hit dingers.

caribbeanhen
October 8th, 2018, 07:51 AM
That was a heckuva fun game. I was pacing around the room most of the evening and stayed up entirely too late.

Atlanta is able to go back to Foltynewicz today. He wasn't good in game 1, but has the potential to be lights out. Julio Teheran hasn't pitched yet, and I imagine he's the first man out of the pen.

The Dodgers' lineup is scary. Great plate discipline and they all hit dingers.

the young Superstar (by the way kid, it's time to learn how to speak a few words of English) Acuna becomes the youngest player to hit a post season grand slam since Mickey Mantle

Dodgers clearly the better team with all the firepower they have, but the best team doesnt always win

Let's send this thing back to LaLa land

Go Braves!

Laker
October 8th, 2018, 08:13 AM
This time it isn't about his weight. Twins Miguel Sano arrested for running over policeman's foot.

http://kdhlradio.com/minnesota-twins-miguel-sano-arrested-after-incident-with-police/

caribbeanhen
October 8th, 2018, 08:58 AM
This time it isn't about his weight. Twins Miguel Sano arrested for running over policeman's foot.

http://kdhlradio.com/minnesota-twins-miguel-sano-arrested-after-incident-with-police/

happened in the Dominican Republic, I know Sano is no angel but wouldnt be suprised at all if the Police were trying to rob him ....

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2018, 02:08 PM
This is fun

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/1049359269441753089

PaladinFan
October 8th, 2018, 02:12 PM
the young Superstar (by the way kid, it's time to learn how to speak a few words of English) Acuna becomes the youngest player to hit a post season grand slam since Mickey Mantle

Dodgers clearly the better team with all the firepower they have, but the best team doesnt always win

Let's send this thing back to LaLa land

Go Braves!

You may want to look back on Braves OF Lane Adams jumping all over folks on Twitter criticizing Acuna's English.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6016326-braves-outfielder-lane-adams-destroys-fans-who-criticized-ronald-acuna-s-english-in-tweetstorm

I am quite certain Acuna speaks a fair amount of English. Like many foreign-born players (Including Ichiro, who was nearly fluent in English) he probably prefers taking interview questions in his native language.

I will say this, every time I've heard Acuna interviewed, he says exactly the correct team-first stuff that sounds well beyond his years in maturity.

caribbeanhen
October 8th, 2018, 04:32 PM
You may want to look back on Braves OF Lane Adams jumping all over folks on Twitter criticizing Acuna's English.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6016326-braves-outfielder-lane-adams-destroys-fans-who-criticized-ronald-acuna-s-english-in-tweetstorm

I am quite certain Acuna speaks a fair amount of English. Like many foreign-born players (Including Ichiro, who was nearly fluent in English) he probably prefers taking interview questions in his native language.

I will say this, every time I've heard Acuna interviewed, he says exactly the correct team-first stuff that sounds well beyond his years in maturity.

he translates well, by the way I can understand him without the translator, but to go mainstream and enhance his incredible marketability, that is the main reason I make the speak english comment..... has nothing to do with spanish phobia believe me......

bulldog10jw
October 8th, 2018, 05:13 PM
The Indians certainly embarrassed themselves today. For a team that has been in the post season quite a few times, they folded like an accordion.

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2018, 06:12 AM
Well, another season in the books. A really encouraging year for Atlanta.

The Braves were playing with house money this year. Their win total expectancy in the preseason was around 74, and they won 90+.

Next season, Atlanta should return a core of solid young players. The pitching staff will be bolstered by a bunch of young arms that cut their teeth at the MLB level this season. I expect Atlanta to be aggressive on the market, potentially eyeing Machado or Harper. The sky's the limit on the trade market with Atlanta's glut of major league ready starting pitching.

Laker
October 9th, 2018, 07:03 AM
When baseball games last longer than football games, and almost outscore them, I tend to turn away. Or fall asleep.

woffordgrad94
October 9th, 2018, 07:05 AM
My Braves are gone. Don’t color me at all surprised. Losing in October is a Braves tradition. I’m actually shocked they didn’t get swept.

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2018, 08:50 PM
When baseball games last longer than football games, and almost outscore them, I tend to turn away. Or fall asleep.

Tough with the postseason pitching change carousel.

Laker
October 9th, 2018, 09:28 PM
Tough with the postseason pitching change carousel.

I drove to my neighbor's place instead of my usual two mile walk to feed the cats because of the pouring rain. I had the game on the radio. The announcer said the hits, the runs, the errors, and number of mound visits at the end of the inning............

bonarae
October 9th, 2018, 11:28 PM
Meanwhile... the rivalry of this year had an amazing end. Boston held on despite NYY having runners at 2nd and 3rd...

caribbeanhen
October 10th, 2018, 09:19 PM

and almost every run scored is a result of the Homerun, Yep, they need to expidite these games

Laker
October 12th, 2018, 11:17 PM
Sad that we are in the playoffs and I haven't seen one post on here about the Brewers-Dodgers game. Someone must have told Marlins Man to settle down behind home plate- or maybe he is getting tired too.

Justin Turner strikes out to go 0-5, leaving the tying run on base as the Brewers win 6-5. Kershaw takes the loss.

Four hours and two minutes.

bonarae
October 15th, 2018, 06:41 AM
Meanwhile...

Can Milwaukee's relievers recover from their slumps and rebound to claim the NL Pennant in L.A.?

As for Houston, are their performances sustainable enough to trump Boston in 6 or 7?

bonarae
October 15th, 2018, 10:08 PM
Milwaukee preserved a shutout of the Dodgers by stranding the loaded bases with strikeouts! And they did the same thing twice in this game.

Thumper 76
October 16th, 2018, 07:26 AM
Milwaukee preserved a shutout of the Dodgers by stranding the loaded bases with strikeouts! And they did the same thing twice in this game.

Really enjoying the Fox panel of “analysts” just HATING what Counsel is doing xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laker
October 16th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Not that I have a horse in this race, but I would much prefer a Houston-Milwaukee World Series. That would shut out both the east and west coast and cause the media to become nauseous. I get tired of hearing how the Series isn't good unless it has at least one big market team. People who say that didn't watch the 1991 Series.

bonarae
October 17th, 2018, 02:39 AM
Dodgers won an epic game of near-misses and a brief bench-clearing brawl by walking-off in 13.

The NL pennant will be won in Milwaukee no matter what. But I hate the Dodgers. xsmhx