PDA

View Full Version : The 2018 MVFC Megathread - brought to you by Casey's Pizza

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

Thumper 76
June 21st, 2018, 04:13 AM
You believe those reports? One of us is lying, both of us are lying, or it's a combination of the two. The same report also says that USD receives absolutely zero dollars from corporate sponsorships and apparently doesn't sell programs at any events. Neither SDSU or USD report any advertising income. Really? How is that even possible?
Well, for SDSU I’m going to guess the “advertising” is the corporate sponsorship. If you look at your reported numbers, there’s zero chance you are selling all the tickets you report for attendance. Between football, mbb, and wbb that would mean you average, what, $20k in gate receipts? At least SDSUs make sense when you figure the entirety of the season. IF USeD has similar numbers in gate receipts and are lying so grossly they are hiding $3 million dollars PLUS their corporate sponsors money, they should be audited by the state. There’s a difference between fudging numbers and flat out lies to the taxpayers and students at your school. So what is it? Is the USeD administration crooked or are they giving away far more tickets than you would like us to believe.

I'm sure you know this, mmiller, but I'm going to be a broken record and repeat what I do every time this topic gets brought up for the rest of the crowd: SDSU attendance figures are "butts in seats" when they are reported. If they are paid for and don't get used, they don't get counted. SDSU is one of the few schools in the NCAA that does this, so comparing them to others only works if you're blindfolded. Take off the metaphorical blindfold (aka: attend a game or two) and it doesn't take a genius to see that people don't match the figures in most cases, particularly at the university down south.
Hell, their school went on their fan board and stated that they count tickets “sold” and not butts in seats. And by “sold” I also mean that they obviously are giving away pretty hefty amounts as well but can count them as “sold” and it makes the attendance in their shiny new arena look better. I mean, the crowds don’t, but whatever looks good in the box score, it’s obviously the only part of the game most yote fans catch anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yotes21
June 21st, 2018, 09:43 AM
LOL, you guys must have gotten the accounting minor at sdac. Working with income statements there are multiple ways to report numbers. Unless you have ties to the schools or are in the BOR, good luck knowing which numbers are reported in which category.

Yote 53
June 21st, 2018, 09:48 AM
I'm sure you know this, mmiller, but I'm going to be a broken record and repeat what I do every time this topic gets brought up for the rest of the crowd: SDSU attendance figures are "butts in seats" when they are reported. If they are paid for and don't get used, they don't get counted. SDSU is one of the few schools in the NCAA that does this, so comparing them to others only works if you're blindfolded. Take off the metaphorical blindfold (aka: attend a game or two) and it doesn't take a genius to see that people don't match the figures in most cases, particularly at the university down south.

USD counts tickets sold in the attendance figures. Actual butts in the seats attendance should not have any bearing on the line item for ticket sale revenues because the ticket has already been paid for.

Yote 53
June 21st, 2018, 09:52 AM
I LOL at the idea that everyone at USD gets free tickets. If that were true, "yours truly" and plenty of people I know would be on the inside track for the free ticket giveaway.

goyotes
June 21st, 2018, 10:06 AM
Compliments to SDSU as they have done a great job of turning regular season football games into an event. Their on field success and new stadium are a big part of their attendance numbers. However, if you look at the expense portion of the SDBOR report you see a line item in the SDSU column for stadium lease expense of almost $2,600,000. A significant part of the funding for the new stadium is in the form of hefty donation requirements for most season tickets and even more so for suite and loge access. I am guessing that these donations are included as ticket sales.

Thumper 76
June 21st, 2018, 12:20 PM
Compliments to SDSU as they have done a great job of turning regular season football games into an event. Their on field success and new stadium are a big part of their attendance numbers. However, if you look at the expense portion of the SDBOR report you see a line item in the SDSU column for stadium lease expense of almost $2,600,000. A significant part of the funding for the new stadium is in the form of hefty donation requirements for most season tickets and even more so for suite and loge access. I am guessing that these donations are included as ticket sales.

I’m pretty sure that the donations aren’t counted in that. I’ll put it to you this way. If the entirety of what is reported as gate receipts were just for football down south, then that means you guys sold your tickets for roughly $14/ticket. On average. And that would be with not having a soul pay a dime for a single home event for the university for the rest of the season. Nobody paying for a mbb game, nobody paying for a wbb game, nothing. That is why that number is eyebrow raising.

mmiller_34
June 21st, 2018, 12:56 PM
LOL, you guys must have gotten the accounting minor at sdac. Working with income statements there are multiple ways to report numbers. Unless you have ties to the schools or are in the BOR, good luck knowing which numbers are reported in which category.

Pretty sure I pointed this out earlier.

mmiller_34
June 21st, 2018, 12:57 PM
USD counts tickets sold in the attendance figures. Actual butts in the seats attendance should not have any bearing on the line item for ticket sale revenues because the ticket has already been paid for.

Was just about to say this! Attendance means nothing in these reports, only tickets paid for whether the price was $30 dollars or $0.

mmiller_34
June 21st, 2018, 12:59 PM

Pretty sure that donations goes under the donation line. When you pay for season tickets at SDSU you have two separate transactions to make. One to the athletic dept for the tickets and one to the SDSU foundation for the Jackrabbits Club donation.

Also, one point, if you take 2,600,000 out of our 4.8 mil gate receipt. We still make more on tickets than every other SD public school combined.

Sycamore62
June 22nd, 2018, 09:00 AM
Pretty sure that donations goes under the donation line. When you pay for season tickets at SDSU you have two separate transactions to make. One to the athletic dept for the tickets and one to the SDSU foundation for the Jackrabbits Club donation.

Also, one point, if you take 2,600,000 out of our 4.8 mil gate receipt. We still make more on tickets than every other SD public school combined.

didnt it already say you make more on tickets than the other SD public school?

IBleedYellow
June 22nd, 2018, 09:00 AM
I LOL at the idea that everyone at USD gets free tickets. If that were true, "yours truly" and plenty of people I know would be on the inside track for the free ticket giveaway.

I mean back when NDSU played you guys in 2013 we weren't allowed to buy single game tickets. We had to purchase multiple tickets from USD in order to go to the NDSU game.

clenz
June 22nd, 2018, 10:03 AM
I mean back when NDSU played you guys in 2013 we weren't allowed to buy single game tickets. We had to purchase multiple tickets from USD in order to go to the NDSU game.

Which is smart.

That topic, related to something else but still the same, is being discussed on PN right now. This is 100% the way to go.

When your school is impacted it’s stupid, but it’s the right move.

CappinHard
June 22nd, 2018, 01:49 PM
Oh snap... We've gone and taken a page out of UND's book. Just give us the trophy now.

https://twitter.com/JackrabbitVideo/status/1010230707086475264

mmiller_34
June 22nd, 2018, 01:59 PM
didnt it already say you make more on tickets than the other SD public school?

Yep. But, also the other schools included on the report (USD, DSU, BHSU, NSU, and SD Tech.) Even if you subtract our yearly stadium payment. USD fans think it’s fake news tho.

JSUSoutherner
June 22nd, 2018, 02:07 PM
Oh snap... We've gone and taken a page out of UND's book. Just give us the trophy now.

https://twitter.com/JackrabbitVideo/status/1010230707086475264
Go outside and train in the heat like real men.

CappinHard
June 22nd, 2018, 02:36 PM

Tbh, it was probably cooler outside than indoors the way our weather has been lately. xlolx

cx500d
June 22nd, 2018, 02:47 PM

Moron, this is the Dakota's, there's probably snowdrifts outside.

clenz
June 22nd, 2018, 03:03 PM
Tbh, it was probably cooler outside than indoors the way our weather has been lately. xlolx

Nah. As JSU informed me earlier this week a it’s literally never hot outside of the SE.

Sycamore62
June 23rd, 2018, 07:51 AM
Yep. But, also the other schools included on the report (USD, DSU, BHSU, NSU, and SD Tech.) Even if you subtract our yearly stadium payment. USD fans think it’s fake news tho.

my joke about the number of public schools in SD missed

Kemo
June 23rd, 2018, 06:59 PM
There are too many public schools in SD, but it's almost political suicide to close one.

mmiller_34
June 24th, 2018, 07:31 PM

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PepperyContentAsianpiedstarling-max-1mb.gif

BisonFan02
June 25th, 2018, 12:59 AM
There are too many public schools in SD, but it's almost political suicide to close one.

Join the club.

Professor Chaos
June 26th, 2018, 09:59 AM
Illinois St dismisses their leading tackler in LB Tyree Horton from the team: https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/horton-dropped-from-isu-football-team/article_7311d57c-f533-5782-bcf4-e68bedc1f749.html

Spack says he's doing things "the Redbird way". xchinscratchx

Some other more minor roster attrition is also noted in the article.

BisonTru
June 26th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Illinois St dismisses their leading tackler in LB Tyree Horton from the team:

xscanxxeyebrowx Did he murder someone?? :D

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
June 26th, 2018, 08:28 PM
Illinois St dismisses their leading tackler in LB Tyree Horton from the team: https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/horton-dropped-from-isu-football-team/article_7311d57c-f533-5782-bcf4-e68bedc1f749.html

Spack says he's doing things "the Redbird way". xchinscratchx

Some other more minor roster attrition is also noted in the article.

Dang! Seems like a hell of a lot of attrition.

dewey
June 28th, 2018, 10:47 PM
Woo hoo!

Go Bison!

Deweyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180629/dc92a97b8ae330275970ed84c9305af5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
June 30th, 2018, 03:49 PM

Well there has to be some reason y’all are allowed to subsidize the budget at a 62% clip.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 1st, 2018, 09:35 AM
Join the club.

Mayville State, Valley City State and a couple of JUCOs should be eliminated.

TheKingpin28
July 1st, 2018, 09:52 AM
Mayville State, Valley City State and a couple of JUCOs should be eliminated.

Unfortunately, as we all know, that's political suicide in the state, even though we all know it to be true. But with how many colleges/universities they have for a population of under 800K, it is completely unsustainable.

F'N Hawks
July 1st, 2018, 11:15 AM
Unfortunately, as we all know, that's political suicide in the state, even though we all know it to be true. But with how many colleges/universities they have for a population of under 800K, it is completely unsustainable.

Having UND, NDSU, Mayville, and Valley City all within 125 miles of each other is so stupid. Four 4- year colleges.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 1st, 2018, 01:46 PM
Having UND, NDSU, Mayville, and Valley City all within 125 miles of each other is so stupid. Four 4- year colleges.

Yep.

I can see Dickinson State out west, need a 4 year college out there. BSC and Wapheton are needed but the other JUCOs can go.

JacksFan40
July 1st, 2018, 01:58 PM
DSU would be the most likely to go, nobody really likes them anyways.

Redbird 4th & short
July 1st, 2018, 03:01 PM
Dang! Seems like a hell of a lot of attrition.

Does seem like more than usual. Might be the result of significant change in coaches since after last season ... 4 new offensive coaches (OC/QB, RB, OL, WR) and 3 defensive coaches (DC/DL, LB). Offensive coaches were fired, defensive were leaving for better position. Might be case of "new sheriff's deputies in town". That and Spack is known for over-working his players at times .. he was in very bad mood after last 2 seasons records, which led to him firing 4 offensive coaches. Sometimes, he just wears players out.

As for the "Redbird Way" comment and Horton ... many here would be surprised how many players get dismissed or leave (i.e. pushed out) for not falling in line with Spack's disciplinary demands. Spack's handling of Horton is much more than norm than what happened with Coprich, a model student-athlete for 3+ years. But I know, some of you really want to believe that was the norm .. it most certainly was/is not. Horton was going to be all conference, possibly all american .. and he's gone with no specific explanation .. and despite just 1 returning starter back on defense now.

Evolution Prime
July 2nd, 2018, 09:01 AM
DSU would be the most likely to go, nobody really likes them anyways.

They can close it down after my son graduates from there.

Winterborn
July 2nd, 2018, 09:13 AM
Yep.

I can see Dickinson State out west, need a 4 year college out there. BSC and Wapheton are needed but the other JUCOs can go.

With their accrediting and management issues, not sure they should be a two year college, much less a 4 year.

BisonFan02
July 2nd, 2018, 11:04 AM
With their accrediting and management issues, not sure they should be a two year college, much less a 4 year.

Dickinson State is a mess.....

Redbird 4th & short
July 2nd, 2018, 11:59 AM
Does seem like more than usual. Might be the result of significant change in coaches since after last season ... 4 new offensive coaches (OC/QB, RB, OL, WR) and 3 defensive coaches (DC/DL, LB). Offensive coaches were fired, defensive were leaving for better position. Might be case of "new sheriff's deputies in town". That and Spack is known for over-working his players at times .. he was in very bad mood after last 2 seasons records, which led to him firing 4 offensive coaches. Sometimes, he just wears players out.

As for the "Redbird Way" comment and Horton ... many here would be surprised how many players get dismissed or leave (i.e. pushed out) for not falling in line with Spack's disciplinary demands. Spack's handling of Horton is much more than norm than what happened with Coprich, a model student-athlete for 3+ years. But I know, some of you really want to believe that was the norm .. it most certainly was/is not. Horton was going to be all conference, possibly all american .. and he's gone with no specific explanation .. and despite just 1 returning starter back on defense now.

correction .. 2 starters back on defense after loss of Horton

mmiller_34
July 6th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Bump

https://i.gifer.com/98DW.gif

TheKingpin28
July 6th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Bump

https://i.gifer.com/98DW.gif

TPB FTW

SDFS
July 6th, 2018, 08:38 PM
Changes coming for the Dakota Dome - next couple of years:

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/university-of-south-dakota/2018/07/06/south-dakota-coyotes-football-facility-improvements-get-underway/761633002/

TheKingpin28
July 6th, 2018, 08:45 PM
Changes coming for the Dakota Dome - next couple of years:

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/university-of-south-dakota/2018/07/06/south-dakota-coyotes-football-facility-improvements-get-underway/761633002/

So the Dakota Dump is moving up from the 1 star crowd to the 2 star crowd. Good for them.

JacksFan40
July 6th, 2018, 11:35 PM
So the Dakota Dump is moving up from the 1 star crowd to the 2 star crowd. Good for them.
It’s like putting a bow on a pile of crap.

Bisonoline
July 6th, 2018, 11:43 PM
They’re saying club suites are ground level, and from what I can see they’ll be right behind the sidelines, which makes me wonder how you’ll be able to see with the team standing in front of you. Unless I’m seeing it wrong this seems like a problem.

I was wondering that myself. Or is that the weight room?

JacksFan40
July 6th, 2018, 11:45 PM
I was wondering that myself. Or is that the weight room?
I think it’s the weight room, not sure though and I accidentally deleted that post.
Actually I think they have a new weight room in the SCSC building, I’ll look again.

JacksFan40
July 6th, 2018, 11:49 PM
I think it’s the weight room, not sure though and I accidentally deleted that post.
Actually I think they have a new weight room in the SCSC building, I’ll look again.
That isnt the weight room. It’s part of the SCSC, I’m guessing that’s the club suites.
While the Coyotes’ weight room and training facilities vaulted toward the top of the Missouri Valley with the construction of the SCSC[/COLOR]

Yotes21
July 7th, 2018, 08:47 AM
That isnt the weight room. It’s part of the SCSC, I’m guessing that’s the club suites.
While the Coyotes’ weight room and training facilities vaulted toward the top of the Missouri Valley with the construction of the SCSC[/COLOR]

The weight room was moved to the SCSC and is 7,500 square feet. MBB, WBB, and Vball locker rooms and meeting rooms were also all moved to the SCSC and includes training rooms and hydro therapy space with polar and thermal plunge pools and treadmill pool. The windows on turf level you see in the renderings are new coaches offices and meeting rooms. The suites are on "ground level" the same as when you walk into the dome, not "turf level." I believe the portable student bleachers are being replaced by permanent individual seating as well.

JacksFan40
July 7th, 2018, 08:58 AM
The weight room was moved to the SCSC and is 7,500 square feet. MBB, WBB, and Vball locker rooms and meeting rooms were also all moved to the SCSC and includes training rooms and hydro therapy space with polar and thermal plunge pools and treadmill pool. The windows on turf level you see in the renderings are new coaches offices and meeting rooms. The suites are on "ground level" the same as when you walk into the dome, not "turf level." I believe the portable student bleachers are being replaced by permanent individual seating as well.

That makes much more sense, I was very confused as to why they’d put club suites on the ground.

SDFS
July 7th, 2018, 09:48 AM

It looks impressive - huge changes on campus in the last 10 years. What is total capacity 14,000?

Yotes21
July 7th, 2018, 01:36 PM
It looks impressive - huge changes on campus in the last 10 years. What is total capacity 14,000?

I am not sure if there is an official number yet. There is a lot of structural work that needs to be done so some changes may happen during the process. I believe the AD Herbster said it would increase the seating to 12-13k after this phase, no idea if there would be room to add more. There is supposed to be a better rendering coming in a few months that may include more insight.

Bisonoline
July 7th, 2018, 03:56 PM
I am not sure if there is an official number yet. There is a lot of structural work that needs to be done so some changes may happen during the process. I believe the AD Herbster said it would increase the seating to 12-13k after this phase, no idea if there would be room to add more. There is supposed to be a better rendering coming in a few months that may include more insight.

With added seating may be you will sell us some tickets? xlolx

Yotes21
July 7th, 2018, 05:15 PM
With added seating may be you will sell us some tickets? xlolx

Hopefully, but it may cost you to be a season ticket holder /s. I've had great experiences hanging out with Bison fans so sounds good to me.

Bisonoline
July 7th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Hopefully, but it may cost you to be a season ticket holder /s. I've had great experiences hanging out with Bison fans so sounds good to me.

In the past they have bundled them with one of your OOC games. When I placed my order I told them to give them to a local boys club or any other charity they see fit.

Yotes21
July 7th, 2018, 05:24 PM
In the past they have bundled them with one of your OOC games. When I placed my order I told them to give them to a local boys club or any other charity they see fit.

Yes I know that is why I was joking.

F'N Hawks
July 10th, 2018, 09:31 PM
Northern Iowa is favored by 3 over Montana in Missoula. xpopcornx

BisonFan02
July 10th, 2018, 11:07 PM

ha

IBleedYellow
July 11th, 2018, 10:17 AM

Why, how, no way.

clenz
July 11th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Take all my money for Montana to cover. All of it.

The 6 game history between the two

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180711/6af90fc66c7b3017e7ea76fb94959ed8.png

So....yup

The 87 and 16 games were in Cedar Falls. Meaning the average score in Missoula was 38-13.

That 2011 game UNI was ranked #3.

PantherRob82
July 11th, 2018, 01:47 PM

xlolx by who?

F'N Hawks
July 11th, 2018, 01:50 PM
xlolx by who?

5dimes. Who gets their lines from somebody who uses a mathematical formula from the previous season until there is current data.

BisonFan02
July 11th, 2018, 11:39 PM
Date
Opponent

Score

Attend

Site
Notes

at Montana
L
0-13

-

Missoula, MT

11/18/1921
at Montana
L
6-7

-

Missoula, MT

10/4/1941
at Montana
L
0-27

-

Missoula, MT

p
12/13/1969
vs Montana
W
30-3

Sacramento, CA
Camellia Bowl

p
12/12/1970
vs Montana
W
31-16

Sacramento, CA
Camellia Bowl

9/6/2003
at #3 Montana
W
25-24

Missoula, MT

9/20/2014
#3 MONTANA
W
22-10

Fargo, ND
Trees Bowl

8/29/2015
at #12 Montana
L
35-38

Missoula, MT
FCS Kickoff

^p
12/5/2015
#16 MONTANA
W
37-6

Fargo, ND
NCAA Division I Second Round

Winterborn
July 12th, 2018, 09:14 AM
Date
Opponent

Score

Attend

Site
Notes

at Montana
L
0-13

-

Missoula, MT

11/18/1921
at Montana
L
6-7

-

Missoula, MT

10/4/1941
at Montana
L
0-27

-

Missoula, MT

p
12/13/1969
vs Montana
W
30-3

Sacramento, CA
Camellia Bowl

p
12/12/1970
vs Montana
W
31-16

Sacramento, CA
Camellia Bowl

9/6/2003
at #3 Montana
W
25-24

Missoula, MT

9/20/2014
#3 MONTANA
W
22-10

Fargo, ND
Trees Bowl

8/29/2015
at #12 Montana
L
35-38

Missoula, MT
FCS Kickoff

^p
12/5/2015
#16 MONTANA
W
37-6

Fargo, ND
NCAA Division I Second Round

I will never forget the Montana fans faces in the southwest corner of the dome during that game. I still smile thinking about it. :D

IBleedYellow
July 12th, 2018, 09:29 AM
I will never forget the Montana fans faces in the southwest corner of the dome during that game. I still smile thinking about it. :D

That was the only game I ever bet money on. Ursus - do you happen to remember what the wager was? I think it was Montana wouldn't score more than 9 points?

dewey
July 12th, 2018, 11:09 AM

I lost a bet to a family member who is a big Griz fan for the season opener but he said no way he would be again in the playoffs.

W-H-O-O-P-I-N-G!!!

Dewey

dewey
July 15th, 2018, 09:15 PM
Here is Dom Izzo's, Fargo TV sports cover guy, preseason Missouri Valley Preseason Poll and All-Conference team.

https://www.bisonmediazone.com/doms-2018-missouri-valley-preseason-poll-and-all-conference/

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 15th, 2018, 09:31 PM
Here is Dom Izzo's, Fargo TV sports cover guy, preseason Missouri Valley Preseason Poll and All-Conference team.

https://www.bisonmediazone.com/doms-2018-missouri-valley-preseason-poll-and-all-conference/

Dewey

I don't know if I'd have Shepherd at WR. His 2017 was mediocre at best. Steidl on the DL would be a good add.

dewey
July 15th, 2018, 09:50 PM
I don't know if I'd have Shepherd at WR. His 2017 was mediocre at best. Steidl on the DL would be a good add.

Agree on Shepherd. The only returning 1st or 2nd team WR is Schnell from Illinois State.

The DL is loaded and even though I love Steidl the Greenfield kid from USD was on most All American teams and Saunders fro WIU was a beast last year. I remember watching him last year in the NDSU game and he was going sideline to sideline stuffing a lot. Both of those guys were first team players last year.

Menard is an All American guy at DE.

Dewey

neverobeyed
July 18th, 2018, 12:12 AM
Take all my money for Montana to cover. All of it.

The 6 game history between the two

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180711/6af90fc66c7b3017e7ea76fb94959ed8.png

So....yup

The 87 and 16 games were in Cedar Falls. Meaning the average score in Missoula was 38-13.

That 2011 game UNI was ranked #3.

The 2011 game was not as close a contest as the score would indicate.

clenz
July 18th, 2018, 07:23 AM
The 2011 game was not as close a contest as the score would indicate.

100% true. Montana could’ve won 80-10 if they wanted.

There are a number of “straws” that could’ve broken the camels back, so to speak in regards to what broke the UNI program, between 09-11. I think that game was the final straw. The others may have maimed the program. That one killed it.

Redbird 4th & short
July 18th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Agree on Shepherd. The only returning 1st or 2nd team WR is Schnell from Illinois State.

The DL is loaded and even though I love Steidl the Greenfield kid from USD was on most All American teams and Saunders fro WIU was a beast last year. I remember watching him last year in the NDSU game and he was going sideline to sideline stuffing a lot. Both of those guys were first team players last year.

Menard is an All American guy at DE.

Dewey

Did not realize that until now .. obviously lot of good conference WRs have graduated this year. Ironic part is this .. we love Schnell of course (plays slot very well), but consensus on Redbird forum is WR is our weakest group on both sides of ball and special teams .. which is saying a lot considering we only have 2 returning full-time starters on defense. I would guess our WR group is in lower half of MVFC for sure, and that includes WR Schnell as "best" returning player per all conference list.

But we do have 4 new offensive coaches (OC/QB, OL, WR, RB) who we like a lot, especially re-hire OC Beathard ... and a very strong core returning at RB and OL. If our WRs surprise, it will be because of our run game and new coaches, much moreso than our WRs. Opposing defenses will be forced to stack the box against us.

dewey
July 18th, 2018, 09:36 AM
Did not realize that until now .. obviously lot of good conference WRs have graduated this year. Ironic part is this .. we love Schnell of course (plays slot very well), but consensus on Redbird forum is WR is our weakest group on both sides of ball and special teams .. which is saying a lot considering we only have 2 returning full-time starters on defense. I would guess our WR group is in lower half of MVFC for sure, and that includes WR Schnell as "best" returning player per all conference list.

But we do have 4 new offensive coaches (OC/QB, OL, WR, RB) who we like a lot, especially re-hire OC Beathard ... and a very strong core returning at RB and OL. If our WRs surprise, it will be because of our run game and new coaches, much moreso than our WRs. Opposing defenses will be forced to stack the box against us.It will be interesting to see who the top receivers are in the conference at the end of the year.

My sleeper for NDSU would be Desmond Cain or Christian Watson.

Dewey

ST_Lawson
July 18th, 2018, 09:54 AM
Just as a guess for Western, I'd say either Junior Brandon Gaston (https://goleathernecks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=16983) or Sophomore Eli Watson (https://goleathernecks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=17019). Feels like both have quite a bit of potential if they work hard and are able to really connect with Sean McGuire this year.

Redbird 4th & short
July 18th, 2018, 10:31 AM
It will be interesting to see who the top receivers are in the conference at the end of the year.

Dewey

We've got some talent, but there is no depth and I can't say what we do have after Schnell will or won't emerge this year as legit 1st string caliber. And this puts a lot of pressure on Schnell since defenses will game plan for him mainly. As good as he is, he is sneaky good, not dominant good (i.e. physically) ... sneaky good works much better when you are the 2nd or 3rd option.

I should have said, we also like our TE to help keep defenses honest, and love our run game ... but the WR cupboard has been it's barest since Spack got here. WR group depth has been pretty weak since a very strong 2014 group, but we lost a lot from that group .. and other than Warrum and Schnell, we haven't developed that group like we used. That was part of the reason for offensive coach overhaul last year .. The OC change was main thing that needed to happen, but Spack has been very disappointed in WR group for several years now.

New OC and run game is also why I THINK you may see a much improved senior QB Kolbe as well. He fell way off in 2017 from 2016 .. but we had lot of problems on offense last season .. other than our RBs.

Thumper 76
July 18th, 2018, 01:35 PM
It will be interesting to see who the top receivers are in the conference at the end of the year.

Dewey

No offense, but if theres one position group that I'm most confident in NDSU not having the top of the conference in, its WR.

dewey
July 18th, 2018, 01:50 PM
No offense, but if theres one position group that I'm most confident in NDSU not having the top of the conference in, its WR.

I would absolutely agree with you. Who are the top WR's for SDSU this year?

Dewey

CappinHard
July 18th, 2018, 02:00 PM
I would absolutely agree with you. Who are the top WR's for SDSU this year?

Dewey

Cade Johnson and Jacob Brown. I'm expecting to see Jacob Brown have a breakout year. Here's a highlight of his from this year's spring game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mJ8Un8oQsM

Go to 0:48 in this video to see a nice catch by Brown in traffic for a TD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okuuIOjwYtQ

TheKingpin28
July 18th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Cade Johnson and Jacob Brown. I'm expecting to see Jacob Brown have a breakout year. Here's a highlight of his from this year's spring game:

Just had to throw that 2nd video in there, didn't you?

CappinHard
July 18th, 2018, 03:16 PM
Just had to throw that 2nd video in there, didn't you?

I figured it gives my hype for Brown a little more credibility seeing him make a nice catch against the almighty bison. I didn't choose the thumbnail they used for the video, that's just pure coincidence.

Redbird 4th & short
July 18th, 2018, 05:01 PM

NDSU has WRs ??

TheKingpin28
July 18th, 2018, 05:13 PM
NDSU has WRs ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7363rXTExc

2:14:36 is a good place to start. xthumbsupx

TheKingpin28
July 18th, 2018, 05:16 PM
I figured it gives my hype for Brown a little more credibility seeing him make a nice catch against the almighty bison. I didn't choose the thumbnail they used for the video, that's just pure coincidence.

https://i.giphy.com/media/11a8FLrVeoLnna/giphy.webp

JacksFan40
July 18th, 2018, 05:37 PM

The 2 Janke brothers from Madison, Jaxon and Jadon could end up being absolute studs in the future. Watched them in the SD All Star game and they did whatever they wanted with the defense.
SDSU could be stacked in a couple years.

BisonFan02
July 18th, 2018, 09:22 PM
NDSU has WRs ??

Really haven't before....why start now? xlolx

BisonTru
July 18th, 2018, 10:25 PM

I don't even know why we do that forward pass thingy. Too gimmicky. xcoolx

uni88
July 19th, 2018, 07:12 AM
Really haven't before....why start now? xlolxGinger Jesus had to have a couple of split ends among his 10 disciples ... ;)

dewey
July 19th, 2018, 08:27 AM

Dang Kingpin. Going straight for the heart.

Dewey

CappinHard
July 19th, 2018, 01:02 PM

Dewey

Tbh... Wentz is lucky he was getting hit and couldn't get enough on the ball and ended up under throwing it and having his receiver make a heads up play. If he throws it where he wants to, it's a contested ball because the DB had him played well and likely an incompletion, then you're down to 4th and 10 and who knows what happens.

TheKingpin28
July 19th, 2018, 01:53 PM

Dewey

I calls them as I sees them.

Bisonator
July 19th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Tbh... Wentz is lucky he was getting hit and couldn't get enough on the ball and ended up under throwing it and having his receiver make a heads up play. If he throws it where he wants to, it's a contested ball because the DB had him played well and likely an incompletion, then you're down to 4th and 10 and who knows what happens.
Tbh....I remember some 4th downs in a few other games too......:D

Tbh.....Taryn is lucky he was getting hit.....oh wait nvmxlolx

Redbird 4th & short
July 19th, 2018, 03:53 PM

oh no .. video didn't launch ... but based on the 2:14:36 time, I'm guessing it was Fr Urzendowski's 3 catches in 2014 Natty game winning drive ???

Brilliant strategy by Bison .. our DB assumed alleged WR Urzendowski was yet again trying to simply block him or act as decoy to pull him away from the real play. So our DB got out of his way so he was ready to stuff the run ... doh !!!!

Redbird 4th & short
July 19th, 2018, 04:20 PM

took the words right out of my mouth ... that play was heart breaking way to lose so much field position .. WR was guarded, QB was nearly sacked, ball was way underthrown .. DB is helpless in that situation. Urzendowski made a nice adjustment to stop and come back for ball that was supposed to go deep into or out of the end zone .. instead it wobbled to 5 yard line .. so painful to watch it slip away like that.

And as long were on topic .. note, we blocked the XP, so we're only down 2 and eventually lost. But go back to our own 2 point XP attempt after Roberson's long TD run for 4 point lead with just 1:38 left ... just watch their DB guard our WR on 2 point XP attempt right around 2:07 mark of tape .. practically tackled our guy while holding both of arms down ... but draw your own conclusion .. we lost by 2.

Can you hear the violin section crying a sad song ????

xviolinxxviolinxxviolinx

TheKingpin28
July 19th, 2018, 04:42 PM
oh no .. video didn't launch ... but based on the 2:14:36 time, I'm guessing it was Fr Urzendowski's 3 catches in 2014 Natty game winning drive ???

Brilliant strategy by Bison .. our DB assumed alleged WR Urzendowski was yet again trying to simply block him or act as decoy to pull him away from the real play. So our DB got out of his way so he was ready to stuff the run ... doh !!!!

It was the one that got them down to the 4yd line.

Redbird 4th & short
July 19th, 2018, 05:49 PM
It was the one that got them down to the 4yd line.

well played sir ... but did he have 3 catches on that drive alone, or was it 3 catches in 4 qtr ? It's still a painful blurred memory.

Either way .. the thing that impressed me most about his play was how after his 2nd big catch, you could see him running back to huddle and motioning with his arms to a teammate to stay calm .. or maybe more likely letting teammate like QB Wentz know, he was going to stay calm .. in a moment that big, impressive for a FR ... and then that frickin' 3rd catch on 3rd and 10 !!

IBleedYellow
July 19th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Georgia Southern and NDSU prove you dont need amazing WR talent to win National Titles.

BisonFan02
July 19th, 2018, 09:00 PM
I don't even know why we do that forward pass thingy. Too gimmicky. xcoolx

Many "run the damn ball"'s have been screamed from section 6. xlolx

Thumper 76
July 19th, 2018, 09:14 PM
Georgia Southern and NDSU prove you dont need amazing WR talent to win National Titles.
yeah, I feel that's fairly obvious.

Redbird 4th & short
July 19th, 2018, 10:28 PM

other than scout team, no need to start now.

Kemo
July 20th, 2018, 12:59 AM
Speaking of receivers: I'd say it's a safe bet that at least 1 SDSU WR will be on the All-MVFC list by season's end (1st or 2nd team) with the only caveat being if Taryn goes down with an injury early. Too much talent at the wide out position for someone not to emerge and have a big year, just not sure who it'll be yet.

Also, don't be surprised if the Jacks still have the top TE in the conference. Skylar Cavanaugh is legit.

Lorne_Malvo
July 20th, 2018, 01:41 AM
Many great catches in the FCS. I am biased, but Vraa made catches that I still am shaking my head over.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTQIuEjUwAAJArD.jpg:large

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 20th, 2018, 06:15 AM
NDSU will never have WRs with huge stats. But I can guarantee, they are the best blocking WRs in the Valley.

Redbird 4th & short
July 20th, 2018, 09:38 AM
Speaking of receivers: I'd say it's a safe bet that at least 1 SDSU WR will be on the All-MVFC list by season's end (1st or 2nd team) with the only caveat being if Taryn goes down with an injury early. Too much talent at the wide out position for someone not to emerge and have a big year, just not sure who it'll be yet.

Also, don't be surprised if the Jacks still have the top TE in the conference. Skylar Cavanaugh is legit.

I've said this for years .. SDSU reloads better than anyone in MVFC, not named NDSU .. to me, they are top 5 program over 5 to 6 year period .. maybe 4th now (behind NDSU, JMU, SHSU) .. they just haven't gotten over Natty hump yet.

CappinHard
July 20th, 2018, 10:59 AM
I've said this for years .. SDSU reloads better than anyone in MVFC, not named NDSU .. to me, they are top 5 program over 5 to 6 year period .. maybe 4th now (behind NDSU, JMU, SHSU) .. they just haven't gotten over Natty hump yet.

See NDSU fans...? It's not that hard to give some respect where it's due.

TheKingpin28
July 20th, 2018, 11:32 AM
See NDSU fans...? It's not that hard to give some respect where it's due.We give you credit. Don't doubt yourself. Why do you think you are consistently rated high? It's not that we bag on you, it's that you can't get past the quarters/NDSU/Montana generally and the time you did, you got mollywomped across the field like a rag doll. You were easily in the Top 5 last year, with WSU and WIU being the other 2 teams, just don't come crying here pretending we try to vote you down.

Something you will learn is opposing fans rate their opponents/rivals higher and go easier on them in the polls than they do their own team. I have no problem dropping NDSU when they deserve it and after that USeD game, they definitely did.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
July 20th, 2018, 01:31 PM
We give you credit. Don't doubt yourself. Why do you think you are consistently rated high? It's not that we bag on you, it's that you can't get past the quarters/NDSU/Montana generally and the time you did, you got mollywomped across the field like a rag doll. You were easily in the Top 5 last year, with WSU and WIU being the other 2 teams, just don't come crying here pretending we try to vote you down.

Something you will learn is opposing fans rate their opponents/rivals higher and go easier on them in the polls than they do their own team. I have no problem dropping NDSU when they deserve it and after that USeD game, they definitely did.

Oh don't even start to try to play this card xlolx This has nothing to do with voting or even necessarily SDSU. Its pretty rare to see a NDSU fan handing out a compliment to another program without a backhanded or outright slam in the same post. Just like the one you just made xcoffeex

Lorne_Malvo
July 20th, 2018, 01:47 PM
51-16 and you wonder why you get teased? Really?

POD Knows
July 20th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Oh don't even start to try to play this card xlolx This has nothing to do with voting or even necessarily SDSU. Its pretty rare to see a NDSU fan handing out a compliment to another program without a backhanded or outright slam in the same post. Just like the one you just made xcoffeexJMU has a pretty good program, pretty solid but those streamers suck balls. Damnit, I can't help myself.

CappinHard
July 20th, 2018, 02:57 PM
51-16 and you wonder why you get teased? Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe4rUU5EC-Q

TheKingpin28
July 20th, 2018, 05:01 PM
Oh don't even start to try to play this card xlolx This has nothing to do with voting or even necessarily SDSU. Its pretty rare to see a NDSU fan handing out a compliment to another program without a backhanded or outright slam in the same post. Just like the one you just made xcoffeex

You got mollywomped. What more do you want? I gave your team credit when they beat NDSU down in Brookings and I gave JMU credit after the NDSU beat down, and gave credit to other teams when they earned it. If you guys would actually win a championship/beat NDSU in the D1 playoffs, you'd get respect for it. And yes I will play this card, since I had you for these rankings:

Weeks 1-4: 3rd
Week 5: 11th
Week 6: 9th
Weeks 7-8: 18th
Week 9: 9th
Week 10: 5th
Weeks 11-12: 4th
Final: 3rd

So don't tell me I am not giving you a complement or showing respect when I had you in the Top 5 8 out of the 13 weeks.

POD Knows
July 20th, 2018, 05:16 PM
You got mollywomped. What more do you want? I gave your team credit when they beat NDSU down in Brookings and I gave JMU credit after the NDSU beat down, and gave credit to other teams when they earned it. If you guys would actually win a championship/beat NDSU in the D1 playoffs, you'd get respect for it. And yes I will play this card, since I had you for these rankings:

Weeks 1-4: 3rd
Week 5: 11th
Week 6: 9th
Weeks 7-8: 18th
Week 9: 9th
Week 10: 5th
Weeks 11-12: 4th
Final: 3rd

So don't tell me I am not giving you a complement or showing respect when I had you in the Top 5 8 out of the 13 weeks.It wasn't because SDSU was good, it was because every else sucked balls. xpeacex

Redbird 4th & short
July 20th, 2018, 05:20 PM
never seen a compliment touch off such firestorm .. kind of fun to watch and not be on receiving end for once xpopcornx

TheKingpin28
July 20th, 2018, 06:01 PM
It wasn't because SDSU was good, it was because every else sucked balls. xpeacex

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/powerlisting/images/a/a9/I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130925101955

TheKingpin28
July 20th, 2018, 06:03 PM
never seen a compliment touch off such firestorm .. kind of fun to watch and not be on receiving end for once xpopcornx

Nah, you just get that from Marty Scarano sometime in mid-November. xlolx

mmiller_34
July 20th, 2018, 09:57 PM
I have no problem dropping NDSU when they deserve it and after that USeD game, they definitely did.

I generally feel like dropping SDSU 50 spots each time we lose. Then, I come to my senses and only drop them 20 spots.

mmiller_34
July 20th, 2018, 10:02 PM

Stop it. No we don't.

It is high time I start getting busy.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EvenSelfreliantIrishsetter-size_restricted.gif

We will lose 5 games this season and apparently USD IS (https://twitter.com/SDCoyotes/status/1019607160295247872) South Dakota.

JacksFan40
July 21st, 2018, 09:03 AM
I generally feel like dropping SDSU 50 spots each time we lose. Then, I come to my senses and only drop them 20 spots.
Most feel like purging the coaching staff, and after we lost on Hobo Days to UNI I heard some people saying that DSU could beat us. Then we win the next game and everythings perfectly fine.

JacksFan40
July 21st, 2018, 09:04 AM
Stop it. No we don't.

It is high time I start getting busy.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EvenSelfreliantIrishsetter-size_restricted.gif

We will lose 5 games this season and apparently USD IS (https://twitter.com/SDCoyotes/status/1019607160295247872) South Dakota.
Is 5 games counting the playoffs or we going 6-5? I’d say 8-3. I feel the teams still strong.

Redbird 4th & short
July 21st, 2018, 10:02 AM
Nah, you just get that from Marty Scarano sometime in mid-November. xlolx

I lied .. I once complimented SHSU program (albeit couched with criticism they need to schedule tougher non-conf if they want to compete against top tier playoff teams) .. oh my, it got way worse than this one.

then there's my ever-so-slightly controversial defenses of ISUr ..... xtroublex .. line forms on left, wait your turn please !!!

xchinscratchx ... lemme think, who should I defend next ?

TheKingpin28
July 21st, 2018, 10:13 AM
I lied .. I once complimented SHSU program (albeit couched with criticism they need to schedule tougher non-conf if they want to compete against top tier playoff teams) .. oh my, it got way worse than this one.

then there's my ever-so-slightly controversial defenses of ISUr ..... xtroublex .. line forms on left, wait your turn please !!!

xchinscratchx ... lemme think, who should I defend next ?

Rumor has it UNI could use some love especially for the upcoming Montana game. Oh wait, did I just say that? xlolx

Redbird 4th & short
July 21st, 2018, 12:48 PM
Rumor has it UNI could use some love especially for the upcoming Montana game. Oh wait, did I just say that? xlolx

not sure if that would help or hurt my ever-so-slightly strained relationship with clenz .. it might piss him off most since he's always sandbagging expectations of UNI .. but here goes, and I have said this a couple times here already and on Redbird forum ... but I think ...... after NDSU, the MVFC is completely up for grabs this year, but .. wait for it ... I also said ..... :( .......UNI has to be viewed as most likely to finish 2nd this year.

So I'm picking UNI over Montana in a close one.

Go easy on me clenz xprayx

dewey
July 22nd, 2018, 09:20 AM
not sure if that would help or hurt my ever-so-slightly strained relationship with clenz .. it might piss him off most since he's always sandbagging expectations of UNI .. but here goes, and I have said this a couple times here already and on Redbird forum ... but I think ...... after NDSU, the MVFC is completely up for grabs this year, but .. wait for it ... I also said ..... :( .......UNI has to be viewed as most likely to finish 2nd this year.

So I'm picking UNI over Montana in a close one.

Go easy on me clenz xprayx

I am also taking UNI to beat Montana this year.

....and the Vikings to win the Super Bowl...make sure your head doesn't explode Clenz:D

Dewey

TheKingpin28
July 22nd, 2018, 09:43 AM
double post

TheKingpin28
July 22nd, 2018, 09:45 AM

....and the Vikings to win the Super Bowl...make sure your head doesn't explode Clenz:D

Dewey

You might as well have added on that the Browns would win more than 2 games, if you were making this prediction. xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 22nd, 2018, 08:22 PM

Dewey

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28220&stc=1

UNI win in Missoula?

xlolx

The Vikes are perennial heartbreakers....although Cousins will give us optimism this year.

dewey
July 22nd, 2018, 10:30 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28220&stc=1

UNI win in Missoula?

xlolx

The Vikes are perennial heartbreakers....although Cousins will give us optimism this year.

I will continue to point out that Hauck is bringing in a completely different system back to Montana than Stitt had. Plus this is not the mythical Montana of old. They may very well get back there but I still think UNI will be better.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 23rd, 2018, 11:32 AM
I will continue to point out that Hauck is bringing in a completely different system back to Montana than Stitt had. Plus this is not the mythical Montana of old. They may very well get back there but I still think UNI will be better.

Dewey

Actually Dewey, you might be right. Bison 1660 right now said that Montana has lost 15-16 players for various reasons including a couple of key guys. Maybe a Griz fan can confirm this.

First year growing pains and player attrition....you're probably right about UNI going in there and winning.

uni88
July 23rd, 2018, 07:04 PM
Actually Dewey, you might be right. Bison 1660 right now said that Montana has lost 15-16 players for various reasons including a couple of key guys. Maybe a Griz fan can confirm this.

First year growing pains and player attrition....you're probably right about UNI going in there and winning.BS, UNI has never beaten Montanada and that isn't changing this year. They're going to get the snot beat out of them and all the Griz fans will get their jorts all sticky thinking that Montana is back.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 23rd, 2018, 07:09 PM
BS, UNI has never beaten Montanada and that isn't changing this year. They're going to get the snot beat out of them and all the Griz fans will get their jorts all sticky thinking that Montana is back.

From the sounds of it, a lot of players are gone. Buss (Butkus watch list) is out with an injury. With a new coach and system there will be growing pains for the Griz this year. UNI could definitely win this one.

clenz
July 23rd, 2018, 07:14 PM
BS, UNI has never beaten Montanada and that isn't changing this year. They're going to get the snot beat out of them and all the Griz fans will get their jorts all sticky thinking that Montana is back.
Or it will play out like 2016.

UNI will physically dominate the majority of the game and *should* win by 2 or 3 scores - and Montana wins with little suspense.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 23rd, 2018, 07:25 PM
Or it will play out like 2016.

UNI will physically dominate the majority of the game and *should* win by 2 or 3 scores - and Montana wins with little suspense.

Dunne has a year under his belt and I bet he shines this year. Running game should be a good compliment to Dunne and the defense is always good since I've been following the MV.

Montana is a tough venue to play in but they have had a lot of attrition so far. UNI will be no slouch this year IMO. Very good chance of winning this game.

F'N Hawks
July 23rd, 2018, 07:30 PM
From the sounds of it, a lot of players are gone. Buss (Butkus watch list) is out with an injury. With a new coach and system there will be growing pains for the Griz this year. UNI could definitely win this one.

Is having a lot of players gone from last year a bad thing?

cx500d
July 23rd, 2018, 07:54 PM
Is having a lot of players gone from last year a bad thing?

Not in your case. Replacing your team with Div2 recruits can only make you stronger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

F'N Hawks
July 23rd, 2018, 08:03 PM
Not in your case. Replacing your team with Div2 recruits can only make you stronger

Cool.

UpstateBison
July 23rd, 2018, 08:36 PM
Dunne has a year under his belt and I bet he shines this year. Running game should be a good compliment to Dunne and the defense is always good since I've been following the MV.

Montana is a tough venue to play in but they have had a lot of attrition so far. UNI will be no slouch this year IMO. Very good chance of winning this game.

I agree. Hard to pick UNI based on history but this is the year.

Bisonoline
July 23rd, 2018, 11:12 PM

Hes killing it with NSIC recruits. WTF is he thinking??? Is that the best they could get???

POD Knows
July 24th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Hes killing it with NSIC recruits. WTF is he thinking??? Is that the best they could get???Adam Thielen went to Mankato, maybe Bubba thinks all of the players in that conference/division are that good.

JSUSoutherner
July 24th, 2018, 08:26 AM

Dewey

What's Minnesota this year? The 5th best NFC team?

dewey
July 24th, 2018, 09:12 AM
What's Minnesota this year? The 5th best NFC team?I would say preseason 2nd best NFC team only behind Philadelphia.

Better than New Orleans, Atlanta and Green Bay.

Dewey

Bison56
July 24th, 2018, 10:07 AM
What's Minnesota this year? The 5th best NFC team?

Maybe, but Vikings fans think they are the greatest thing since pockets. Most delusional fan base ever.

JSUSoutherner
July 24th, 2018, 03:08 PM
I would say preseason 2nd best NFC team only behind Philadelphia.

Better than New Orleans, Atlanta and Green Bay.

Dewey

Philly
Rams
Atlanta
Saints
Vikings

TheKingpin28
July 24th, 2018, 03:14 PM
Maybe, but Vikings fans think they are the greatest thing since pockets. Most delusional fan base ever.

You must have never met a Broncos, Raiders, Steelers, or Fudge Packer fan...

POD Knows
July 24th, 2018, 03:39 PM
You must have never met a Broncos, Raiders, Steelers, or Fudge Packer fan...The Steelers have 6 super bowls

Thumper 76
July 24th, 2018, 03:42 PM
Fudge Packer fan...
Oh the the depth of the butthurt xlolx

TheKingpin28
July 24th, 2018, 03:45 PM
The Steelers have 6 super bowlsAnd? Ravens have 2 and we are extremely delusional, yet we over the last couple of years are finally admitting that Flacco is trash.

TheKingpin28
July 24th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Oh the the depth of the butthurt xlolxYou know I am not a Vikings fan though. You have had 2 of the greatest QBs for a quarter of a century and 2 rings to show for it. That is pathetic, but Thompson deserves some of the blame.

Thumper 76
July 24th, 2018, 03:50 PM
You know I am not a Vikings fan though. You have had 2 of the greatest QBs for a quarter of a century and 2 rings to show for it. That is pathetic, but Thompson deserves some of the blame.

Meh, still a better organization than the Ravens. You don't have to be a queens fan to hate the Packers, your from MN. Auto qualifies you to be jealous of everything WI. Its only natural that you would have to pick a team from out yonder to try to feel that you're on the same level xcoffeex

TheKingpin28
July 24th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Meh, still a better organization than the Ravens. You don't have to be a queens fan to hate the Packers, your from MN. Auto qualifies you to be jealous of everything WI. Its only natural that you would have to pick a team from out yonder to try to feel that you're on the same level xcoffeexOr it could be that my mom was raised a Baltimore Colts fan? Crazy I know to think when Baltimore got a team again, she wanted me to support them. Sure she has a thing for Indy but with my stepdad being a die hard Queens fan, she gave into that and rooted for the Queens but she knows my loyalty is with The Ravens.

Thumper 76
July 24th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Or it could be that my mom was raised a Baltimore Colts fan? Crazy I know.

So she started liking them instead to try to get into a team that wasn't MN related. Same ending, different story. At least you were smart enough to not try to tie all your hopes into MN teams. How are the Wild doing, by the way :D

TheKingpin28
July 24th, 2018, 03:56 PM
So she started liking them instead to try to get into a team that wasn't MN related. Same ending, different story. At least you were smart enough to not try to tie all your hopes into MN teams. How are the Wild doing, by the way :DBesides resigning Matt Dumbass, just as well as your Jets. You despise all things Minnesota so of course you would betray America and root for a Canadian team. No wonder why you root for the fudge packers. America hates them (not as much as the cowgirls) and it makes you happy. Yes I know you are from cheesehead land. xthumbsupx

POD Knows
July 24th, 2018, 03:56 PM
So she started liking them instead to try to get into a team that wasn't MN related. Same ending, different story. At least you were smart enough to not try to tie all your hopes into MN teams. How are the Wild doing, by the way :DYou should have asked him how the North Stars were doing

JSUSoutherner
July 24th, 2018, 04:18 PM
You know I am not a Vikings fan though. You have had 2 of the greatest QBs for a quarter of a century and 2 rings to show for it. That is pathetic, but Thompson deserves some of the blame.

That is exactly two more rings than the Minnesota Vikings.

TheKingpin28
July 24th, 2018, 04:37 PM
You should have asked him how the North Stars were doingThat bottle of Jack might not make it to you with that kind of an attitude. xlolx xcheersx

Thumper 76
July 24th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Besides resigning Matt Dumbass, just as well as your Jets. You despise all things Minnesota so of course you would betray America and root for a Canadian team. No wonder why you root for the fudge packers. America hates them (not as much as the cowgirls) and it makes you happy. Yes I know you are from cheesehead land. xthumbsupx

Ahem, that team had the first AMERICAN BORN goalie with 40 wins I do believe.

TheKingpin28
July 24th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Ahem, that team had the first AMERICAN BORN goalie with 40 wins I do believe.He was drafted by them. He really didn't have a choice but to go their or not play for 3 years and then become a FA. Btw, that contract they gave him was ridiculous. I'd have given a bridge deal and with Trouba being a pain the ass with his contract, you all will be cash strapped when it comes to Laine. The Jets will never let him go but there is a reason why they lost Stastny to FA.

Mike296
July 24th, 2018, 06:11 PM
NDSU just got a gem of a QB from 2019 Wisconsin class as a PWO

POD Knows
July 24th, 2018, 06:16 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWho is it, I didn't see anything on BV

Mike296
July 24th, 2018, 06:18 PM
Who is it, I didn't see anything on BV

Hasn’t been put up yet but the kids name is Logan Graetz from River Falls (WI)

POD Knows
July 24th, 2018, 06:23 PM
Hasn’t been put up yet but the kids name is Logan Graetz from River Falls (WI)

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThanks, I think you are ahead of the guys that actually follow this stuff on Bisonville

Mike296
July 24th, 2018, 06:25 PM
Thanks, I think you are ahead of the guys that actually follow this stuff on Bisonville

I follow the Wisconsin media that covers recruiting on Twitter and it was announced on there about 45 mins ago.

F'N Hawks
July 24th, 2018, 06:34 PM
What other offers did he have?

Thumper 76
July 24th, 2018, 06:36 PM
I see what you're doing here xlolx

POD Knows
July 24th, 2018, 06:38 PM
What other offers did he have?The only one I saw on his Twitter site was Duluth. Pretty good sized kid, 6' 4" about 190.

Mike296
July 24th, 2018, 06:39 PM

For D1 he had Valpo, North Dakota, Northern Iowa and EIU, D2 he had Valdosta St, Michigan Tech, and I want to say a Minnesota school but don’t quote me on that one.

CappinHard
July 24th, 2018, 06:39 PM

He must hand the ball off extremely well.

Mike296
July 24th, 2018, 06:43 PM
He must hand the ball off extremely well.

Kid is actually pretty mobile for his size. Think of him like Peyton Manning but he can be mobile unlike Manning.

POD Knows
July 24th, 2018, 06:50 PM
For D1 he had Valpo, North Dakota, Northern Iowa and EIU, D2 he had Valdosta St, Michigan Tech, and I want to say a Minnesota school but don’t quote me on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDuluth offered him, they are D2 in football and D1 in Men's College Hockey (inside joke, nevermind if you don't get)

Mike296
July 24th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Duluth offered him, they are D2 in football and D1 in Men's College Hockey (inside joke, nevermind if you don't get)

Lol good one.

POD Knows
July 24th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Kid is actually pretty mobile for his size. Think of him like Peyton Manning but he can be mobile unlike Manning.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt says he runs a 4.6 to 4.7 40 but yea, he looks pretty mobile. Didn't have any film of him handing the ball off so I don't know if he is a good fit or not.

Mike296
July 24th, 2018, 06:53 PM
It says he runs a 4.6 to 4.7 40 but yea, he looks pretty mobile. Didn't have any film of him handing the ball off so I don't know if he is a good fit or not.

I haven’t had any luck finding film of him at all so if anyone can find film of the kid I’d love to see it.

POD Knows
July 24th, 2018, 06:56 PM
I haven’t had any luck finding film of him at all so if anyone can find film of the kid I’d love to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkJust enter his name and city into Google, HUDL has some film.

BisonFan02
July 24th, 2018, 06:57 PM
The Steelers have 6 super bowls

The Raiders also have super bowls.

POD Knows
July 24th, 2018, 07:05 PM
The Raiders also have super bowls.I didn't say Raider fans were delusional, desperate and sad but not delusional.

BisonFan02
July 24th, 2018, 07:13 PM
I didn't say Raider fans were delusional, desperate and sad but not delusional.

I know....just piling on the Viking futility.

IBleedYellow
July 24th, 2018, 07:14 PM
The Steelers have 6 super bowls

But didn't you know! The Vikings are the best NFL franchise in history to never win a SuperBowl.

BisonFan02
July 24th, 2018, 07:17 PM
But didn't you know! The Vikings are the best NFL franchise in history to never win a SuperBowl.

Jebus......put that on a billboard.

POD Knows
July 24th, 2018, 07:22 PM
But didn't you know! The Vikings are the best NFL franchise in history to never win a SuperBowl.Well, when you consider that 21 different cities have won Super Bowls they probably the best franchise never to win a super bowl.

POD Knows
July 24th, 2018, 07:23 PM
I know....just piling on the Viking futility.The Eagles ass kicking of the Vikes after the Vikings fluke win against NO is one of the greatest games in NFL history.

Mike296
July 24th, 2018, 08:23 PM
The Eagles ass kicking of the Vikes after the Vikings fluke win against NO is one of the greatest games in NFL history.

Has that recruit popped up on BV yet?

cx500d
July 24th, 2018, 08:41 PM
You should have asked him how the North Stars were doing

That was coming.... love the Dallas North Stars

cx500d
July 24th, 2018, 08:44 PM

They are merely tied with buffalo

clenz
July 24th, 2018, 10:16 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkCan confirm at least one of those schools listed did not offer him.
Can confirm he did visit.
Can confirm there was no offer.

Can also confirm that one of those schools has very few 19 rides open and QB isn't a main target of the 19 class

F'N Hawks
July 24th, 2018, 10:42 PM
Can confirm at least one of those schools listed did not offer him.
Can confirm he did visit.
Can confirm there was no offer.

Can also confirm that one of those schools has very few 19 rides open and QB isn't a main target of the 19 class

Kid is unique. He tweeted out an offer to Duluth and a PWO to NDSU. But never said a word about UND, EIU, UNI, Valdosta and Michigan Tech. xconfusedx

cx500d
July 24th, 2018, 10:56 PM
Kid is unique. He tweeted out an offer to Duluth and a PWO to NDSU. But never said a word about UND, EIU, UNI, Valdosta and Michigan Tech. xconfusedx

I’m sure und is used to people not saying a word about und.

Thumper 76
July 24th, 2018, 11:06 PM
Well hot damn, ndsu just got the next Peyton ****ing Manning as a PWO. We are all completely ****ed. Might as well turn the season tickets in now fellas. xcoffeex

CappinHard
July 24th, 2018, 11:35 PM
Well hot damn, ndsu just got the next Peyton ****ing Manning as a PWO. We are all completely ****ed. Might as well turn the season tickets in now fellas. xcoffeex

I was going to let that comment pass, assuming it was joke. It was a joke... Right?

Thumper 76
July 24th, 2018, 11:41 PM
I was going to let that comment pass, assuming it was joke. It was a joke... Right?
I mean, unless he was saying the kid is smart with a weak arm, I dunno. To be fair it wasn't a ndsu fan.

clenz
July 25th, 2018, 07:02 AM
Maybe he meant that for a walk-on he’s pretty damn good.

Oh , wait? He said he’s Peyton Manning but can run?

**** it. Pack it in boys.

A kid with 1 D2 offer has decided to walk-on at NDSU over zero other D1 offers and almost zero contact from other D1 schools. We’re all ****ed.

I did some extra looking last night. He was such a UNI target that there wasn’t a single member of the UNI football staff, or UNI players following him on twitter. That’s clearly a sign he was a heavy target that was destined to be a day 1 starter.

Bison56
July 25th, 2018, 07:14 AM
[QUOTE=TheKingpin28;2649108]You must have never met a Broncos, Raiders, Steelers, or Fudge Packer fan...[/QUOTE
Donkeys are right up with the Viking fans, but careful what you say about the Raider fans.xnonox

Bison56
July 25th, 2018, 07:21 AM
I mean, unless he was saying the kid is smart with a weak arm, I dunno. To be fair it wasn't a ndsu fan.

I think he was talking about his size not ability. xdontknowx

POD Knows
July 25th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Has that recruit popped up on BV yet?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYep, and a local sports guy Dom Izzo tweeted it as well. Looking forward for his arrival next year, thanks for the update.

Gil Dobie
July 25th, 2018, 07:32 AM
You must have never met a Broncos, Raiders, Steelers, or Fudge Packer fan...

Old enough to have met some of them all. 56 is correct, the Vikings fans are the most delusional fan base ever. Great record on a weak schedule last year, Super Bowl bound this year.

Bison56
July 25th, 2018, 07:34 AM
Old enough to have met some of them all. 56 is correct, the Vikings fans are the most delusional fan base ever. Great record on a weak schedule last year, Super Bowl bound this year.

You mean every year. xdrunkyx

Thumper 76
July 25th, 2018, 09:13 AM
I think he was talking about his size not ability. xdontknowx
That was an odd way to phrase it then I guess.

BisonFan02
July 25th, 2018, 09:48 AM
NDSU is gonna have a QB problem soon unless they address it......I'm calling it now. Hopefully this kid coming in already this year is the answer.

Winterborn
July 25th, 2018, 09:51 AM
NDSU is gonna have a QB problem soon unless they address it......I'm calling it now. Hopefully this kid coming in already this year is the answer.

I thought they had several in various stages of development or have they been converting them to other positions?

Professor Chaos
July 25th, 2018, 10:10 AM
It's pretty tough to say whether they're in trouble or worry free right now because none of the guys behind Stick have had to prove themselves yet. I will say that I've heard Hotchkiss isn't all he was cracked up to be as a FL kid with FBS offers that chose to come up here but that could also mean that the walk-on Noah Sanders has just been more impressive. I think most are expecting Trey Lance to be the heir apparent given the number of schools that went after him during the recruiting process last year (I think Boise St tried to flip him with a late offer). So if he's good enough to start as a redshirt freshman next year the QB position is going to be in pretty good shape in the coming years.

dewey
July 25th, 2018, 11:00 AM
It's pretty tough to say whether they're in trouble or worry free right now because none of the guys behind Stick have had to prove themselves yet. I will say that I've heard Hotchkiss isn't all he was cracked up to be as a FL kid with FBS offers that chose to come up here but that could also mean that the walk-on Noah Sanders has just been more impressive. I think most are expecting Trey Lance to be the heir apparent given the number of schools that went after him during the recruiting process last year (I think Boise St tried to flip him with a late offer). So if he's good enough to start as a redshirt freshman next year the QB position is going to be in pretty good shape in the coming years.

Plus Jaren Lewis, 2019 verbal, and Logan Graetz, 2019 PWO verbal. I think the QB stable will be just fine. I am more concerned about losing Klieman and his staff and then having to reload the majority if not all the coaching staff.

I recall not too long ago we got a verbal from a QB from WI that didn't have a ton of hype and he turned out pretty good.

Dewey

Thumper 76
July 25th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Would be pretty wild for both XDSUs to end up with two redshirt freshman starting at qb.

F'N Hawks
July 25th, 2018, 11:23 AM

See how this "other offers" thing blows out of proportion to the point its not even true. Sigh.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
July 25th, 2018, 01:23 PM
Thing is NDSU just needs a competent QB. Half of the time when our studs go down we get back to our offensive roots and Run The Damn Ball! 0.00% worried.

Redbird 4th & short
July 25th, 2018, 01:59 PM
Thing is NDSU just needs a competent QB. Half of the time when our studs go down we get back to our offensive roots and Run The Damn Ball! 0.00% worried.

this !

I know I will take a beating for this, but ...... Brock Jensen won a lot of games his first 3 years on the backs of his teammates, particularly the RBs and defense. It wasn't until his senior year, that he had a "breakout" type year .. yet they won Natty after Natty on strength of their run game, defense, and usually good or very good special teams. But every year, he had 2 very capable 1,000 yard level RBs taking turns behind many all conference OL-men. Passing stats come much easier when teams have to focus 80% of their game plan on defending NDSU's run game. Stick has also come along nicely, but was also not a game breaker either ,... doesn't need to be, but has been groomed into more of a difference maker each year.

Look at Tom Brady's stats his first 6 years or so ... nothing that outstanding, just good like many other QBs ... then it all clicked eventually. Would it have clicked for him like it did if he landed in Chicago or Detroit ... i.e. a lesser system .. I very highly doubt it, given it took him 6+ years to become a great QB in a great system. Now guys like Carson Wentz and Aaron Rodgers would be great in almost any system .. they are the kinds of players that lift entire teams around them. But Jensen, Stick, & Schor ... I think they benefited from the system and players around them as much (or more) as they helped the system.

Point being, give everyone else some credit too ... QBs often get too much blame and too much credit ... at NDSU, more of the latter. So I agree .. I don't think NDSU has anything to worry about at QB position.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
July 25th, 2018, 02:05 PM
this !

I know I will take a beating for this, but ...... Brock Jensen won a lot of games his first 3 years on the backs of his teammates, particularly the RBs and defense. It wasn't until his senior year, that he had a "breakout" type year .. yet they won Natty after Natty on strength of their run game, defense, and usually good or very good special teams. But every year, he had 2 very capable 1,000 yard level RBs taking turns behind many all conference OL-men. Passing stats come much easier when teams have to focus 80% of their game plan on defending NDSU's run game. Stick has also come along nicely, but was also not a game breaker either ,... doesn't need to be, but has been groomed into more of a difference maker each year.

Look at Tom Brady's stats his first 6 years or so ... nothing that outstanding, just good like many other QBs ... then it all clicked eventually. Would it have clicked for him like it did if he landed in Chicago or Detroit ... i.e. a lesser system .. I very highly doubt it, given it took him 6+ years to become a great QB in a great system. Now guys like Carson Wentz and Aaron Rodgers would be great in almost any system .. they are the kinds of players that lift entire teams around them. But Jensen, Stick, & Schor ... I think they benefited from the system and players around them as much (or more) as they helped the system.

Point being, give everyone else some credit too ... QBs often get too much blame and too much credit ... at NDSU, more of the latter. So I agree .. I don't think NDSU has anything to worry about at QB position.

Us NDSU fans lose our minds when this gets brought up but it is 100% on point. He was a true gamer but really...... he just did the things we needed of him with stud RBs and a great line and great D. Good system qb.

dewey
July 25th, 2018, 03:20 PM
this !

You are correct about Brock Jensen and like has been mentioned he was a gamer. He had a good 2011 season, 2012 he took a step back and his senior year, 2013, I though he was fantastic but like you mentioned he is what the team needed him to be. Those teams didn't need a gunslinger but a solid quarterback that could make the defense pay when cheated up too much and rely on his teammates.

Dewey

POD Knows
July 25th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Thing is NDSU just needs a competent QB. Half of the time when our studs go down we get back to our offensive roots and Run The Damn Ball! 0.00% worried.I don't know, out WR's rarely get decent separation and we need a stud to even get them the ball. I think we ought to go back to the veer for a couple years, it is getting boring winning natty's with a balanced offense. It is important that QB's possess decent skill sets but the most important one is the drive to win and to get guys to follow you. We have had great leaders at QB since 2010, I really don't care that much if a guy can throw the ball 70 yards as long as they refuse to lose. Lot's of guys with great arms, great legs and great athleticism that have failed at QB. That being said, the little I have seen from the Bison back-up QB's didn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence but who the hell knows.

dewey
July 26th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Hero Sports has their take on the Top 5 Returning QB's and WR's in the MVFC.

Returning WR's.
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-mvfc-wide-receivers-darell-james-bzbz

Returning QB's.
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-mvfc-quarterbacks-easton-stick-bzbz

Digest and discuss.

Dewey

CappinHard
July 26th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Hero Sports has their take on the Top 5 Returning QB's and WR's in the MVFC.

Returning WR's.
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-mvfc-wide-receivers-darell-james-bzbz

Returning QB's.
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-mvfc-quarterbacks-easton-stick-bzbz

Digest and discuss.

Dewey

I don't have any arguments on the WR list. Move Stick from 1 to either 2 or 3 on the QB list and it's good. Stick is not a better QB than Christion. End of story. While we're at it... I don't think either Christion or Stick has a chance in the NFL. Any team that drafts either of them would be reaching in a down year for QBs in the draft.

JacksFan40
July 26th, 2018, 10:19 AM
I don't have any arguments on the WR list. Move Stick from 1 to either 2 or 3 on the QB list and it's good. Stick is not a better QB than Christion. End of story. While we're at it... I don't think either Christion or Stick has a chance in the NFL. Any team that drafts either of them would be reaching in a down year for QBs in the draft.
They’d be undrafted free agents most likely, Stick has a better shot at the NFL than Christion. Christion would likely have to switch positions to make it to the NFL, receiver or cornerback I’d say. Don’t think he played defense in high school at Roosevelt.

CappinHard
July 26th, 2018, 10:29 AM
They’d be undrafted free agents most likely, Stick has a better shot at the NFL than Christion. Christion would likely have to switch positions to make it to the NFL, receiver or cornerback I’d say. Don’t think he played defense in high school at Roosevelt.

I agree, but for some reason some draft boards have Stick as high as a top 5 QB, which would mean he's getting drafted at least in the 2nd or 3rd round, which is asinine for a QB who's absolute ceiling is a questionable backup in the NFL.

clenz
July 26th, 2018, 12:14 PM
I agree, but for some reason some draft boards have Stick as high as a top 5 QB, which would mean he's getting drafted at least in the 2nd or 3rd round, which is asinine for a QB who's absolute ceiling is a questionable backup in the NFL.

We discussed this in a other thread with scfbscout chiming it. That’s basically a random “draft tube” throwing **** against a wall.

Thumper 76
July 26th, 2018, 12:36 PM
We discussed this in a other thread with scfbscout chiming it. That’s basically a random “draft tube” throwing **** against a wall.

It was basically the reasoning used by Herosports to put him at 1 too. Ah well, its a preseason list. I have a feeling that it won't be a big debate after the season is over.

Redbird 4th & short
July 26th, 2018, 12:44 PM

5 of one, half a dozen minus one of the other ... list looks pretty even to me at this point. UNI Dunne has the most to prove, but I like all 5 about the same. Guessing Straub has most upside though .. plus he has 2 WRs on top 5 list. Christion probably has biggest downside .. I like him a lot, but he lost studs at WR, TE, and RB .. hard to find good 6'4" WRs at FCS level, plus an NFL level TE, and then their RB.

I completely get that ISUr QB Kolbe does not belong on the list at this point, he fell way off last year after promising SO season. But given we got OC Beathard back in charge after 2 year hiatus, I will bet he is top 5 by end of season.

JacksFan40
July 26th, 2018, 12:48 PM
I don’t think the QB Class is strong for the 2019 draft. So he might be Top 5 in a weak class. It’d be like 2013 when the first QB off the board was EJ Manuel at 16, look how he panned out.

BisonFan02
July 26th, 2018, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't take Christion over Stick.......no homer either....and I've said before neither are NFL QBs.

BisonTru
July 26th, 2018, 04:15 PM
I don’t think the QB Class is strong for the 2019 draft. So he might be Top 5 in a weak class. It’d be like 2013 when the first QB off the board was EJ Manuel at 16, look how he panned out.

This is kind of what I'm thinking as well. Last year we had 5 first rounders. 3 the year before and 3 the year before that. We're probably due for a down year for QBs. I'll withhold judgement as sometimes guys scream up the draft board during the season. But right now, I can't find one college quarterback I really like at the next level from FCS or FBS.

IBleedYellow
July 26th, 2018, 05:27 PM
Give me the QB that performs when the chips are on the table.

Not the one that gives the ball to the other team 10 times in one game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 26th, 2018, 07:04 PM

I bet Hotchkiss transfers. Sanders is better.

Lance will be the QB in '19.

katss07
July 26th, 2018, 07:27 PM
Ok, so I’m driving in South Dakota right now. I know this is the FCS Discussion, but the MVFC thread has a tendency to go off the rails. I keep seeing ads for this Wall Drug place. All they advertise is 5 cent coffee and free water. Does anyone round here frequent it/is it worth a stop on the way to the Hills?

cx500d
July 26th, 2018, 07:33 PM
Ok, so I’m driving in South Dakota right now. I know this is the FCS Discussion, but the MVFC thread has a tendency to go off the rails. I keep seeing ads for this Wall Drug place. All they advertise is 5 cent coffee and free water. Does anyone round here frequent it/is it worth a stop on the way to the Hills?

Oh you have to go to wall drug.

Thumper 76
July 26th, 2018, 09:04 PM

Biggest tourist trap in the world. That being said, it’s worth stopping once. They have their signs on every continent and in most countries, it’s their thing.

Bisonoline
July 26th, 2018, 09:13 PM
Biggest tourist trap in the world. That being said, it’s worth stopping once. They have their signs on every continent and in most countries, it’s their thing.

Mean Jean Okerland (All Star Wrestling announcer)used to have a pizza joint there.

POD Knows
July 26th, 2018, 09:26 PM
Ok, so I’m driving in South Dakota right now. I know this is the FCS Discussion, but the MVFC thread has a tendency to go off the rails. I keep seeing ads for this Wall Drug place. All they advertise is 5 cent coffee and free water. Does anyone round here frequent it/is it worth a stop on the way to the Hills?Been there a bunch of times, it is a tourist trap but it isn't that far off the road. You going to the Black Hills, lots of stuff to do there.

clenz
July 26th, 2018, 09:37 PM

My hometown had one.

mmiller_34
July 26th, 2018, 10:03 PM
It’s just really good free water. Glad you’ll have the chance to experience it.

ST_Lawson
July 26th, 2018, 10:23 PM
Been there a bunch of times, it is a tourist trap but it isn't that far off the road. You going to the Black Hills, lots of stuff to do there.

I'm planning on taking my family up that way probably next summer. We'll be out in Colorado for a week with extended family and we're planning on tacking on an extra maybe 5 days, swing north to see the Black Hills, Badlands, and all the things and of course stop at the world famous Wall Drug before heading back east. I'll be sure to check in with you Dakota folks for recommendations of things to see and stuff when it gets closer.

Bisonoline
July 26th, 2018, 10:26 PM
I'm planning on taking my family up that way probably next summer. We'll be out in Colorado for a week with extended family and we're planning on tacking on an extra maybe 5 days, swing north to see the Black Hills, Badlands, and all the things and of course stop at the world famous Wall Drug before heading back east. I'll be sure to check in with you Dakota folks for recommendations of things to see and stuff when it gets closer.

Just off the top of my head---Devils Tower, Custer National Park, Deadwood, Crazy Horse, the badlands, pan for gold, eat bison prime rib.

ST_Lawson
July 26th, 2018, 10:43 PM
Just off the top of my head---Devils Tower, Custer National Park, Deadwood, Crazy Horse, the badlands, pan for gold, eat bison prime rib.

Did already have a few of those on our list...I'll add the rest as possibilities. Thoughts on Wind Cave and Jewel Cave?

CappinHard
July 26th, 2018, 10:56 PM
Give me the QB that performs when the chips are on the table.

Not the one that gives the ball to the other team 10 times in one game.

Yes, let's base the QB comparison on one game. Very smart and comprehensive.

uni88
July 26th, 2018, 11:09 PM
Ok, so I’m driving in South Dakota right now. I know this is the FCS Discussion, but the MVFC thread has a tendency to go off the rails. I keep seeing ads for this Wall Drug place. All they advertise is 5 cent coffee and free water. Does anyone round here frequent it/is it worth a stop on the way to the Hills?If I remember correctly free water goes back to depression. Wall Drug was suffering and put signs for free water along highway. It was hot & dry so people stopped and bought other stuff. Wall Drug survived and went on to become a cultural landmark and tourist trap.

Bisonoline
July 26th, 2018, 11:13 PM
Did already have a few of those on our list...I'll add the rest as possibilities. Thoughts on Wind Cave and Jewel Cave?

Dont have any knowledge on those two.

Bison56
July 27th, 2018, 06:57 AM
If you have kids make sure to stop in to Cosmos mystery area..

Professor Chaos
July 27th, 2018, 07:52 AM

If you have kids make sure to stop in to Cosmos mystery area..
Yep, very freaky in a neat kind of way.

https://www.cosmosmysteryarea.com

Redbird 4th & short
July 27th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Yes, let's base the QB comparison on one game. Very smart and comprehensive.

this !

By all means ... one fluke game gets equal weight and therefore erases 3 great years.

I do wonder if he is strong enough to forget about it ... QBs are like DBs .. you have to have short memories for bad plays or games. Learn from it, but then forget about it. That will be his test this year.

This is same guy who helped beat NDSU 2 years in a row ... those games also count .. and those most certainly were not "trap" games like some of NDSU's other single losses in prior years.

That said, SDSU has some headwind to overcome this year unlike prior years where they successfully reload better than any team not named NDSU .. the JMU game, Stig's incident, loss of 2 all american stud receivers on offense. If you guys reload this year and finish say 8-3 ... very very impressive. Right now, I would guess 7-4 given how much has to be overcome .. and that should be playoff worthy (assuming 5-3 in MVFC) .. just hard to replace the size and skilllevel of Weineke and Goedert ... big talented targets who drew a lot of attention from defenses.

F'N Hawks
July 27th, 2018, 09:17 AM
I bet Hotchkiss transfers. Sanders is better.

Lance will be the QB in '19.

But, didn't Hotchy have FBS offers?

dewey
July 27th, 2018, 09:20 AM

Our family did a vacation to the Black Hills at the end of June and we have 3 young kids. I would be happy to give you some recommendations on where we stayed and what we did.

It was a great trip and a beautiful area.

Dewey

AmsterBison
July 27th, 2018, 09:36 AM
I was rewatching the first half of a playoff game yesterday in which Easton Stick had three incompletions to go along with 2 TD passes and a TD run. Here are the three incompletions:

https://youtu.be/h3Wbtk52huQ?t=836
https://youtu.be/h3Wbtk52huQ?t=959
https://youtu.be/h3Wbtk52huQ?t=3875

Maybe not hugely interesting... but it is football.

dewey
July 27th, 2018, 10:25 AM

We did Wind Cave and we all thought it was great.

Dewey

centennial
July 27th, 2018, 10:31 AM
I was rewatching the first half of a playoff game yesterday in which Easton Stick had three incompletions to go along with 2 TD passes and a TD run. Here are the three incompletions:

Maybe not hugely interesting... but it is football.

Those are some pretty throws.

I've flipped flopped on Stick quite a bit. His arm is easily good enough for CFB but NFL, he will struggle.

We've talked about it on BV. He is diagnosing defense well enough, but imo not going through reads well enough. Good DB's are reading his eyes too much. He just spend some time with the Manning's, and has a good NFL QB to mentor him. This will be his make or break year. If he can show some good progress, he'll get drafted.

POD Knows
July 27th, 2018, 10:44 AM

Maybe not hugely interesting... but it is football.LOL. SHSU should have had about 100 yards of PI calls in that game

dewey
July 27th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Here is a Bison Video Blog 2018 schedule preview of South Dakota State.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/bison-video-blog-2018-schedule-preview-south-dakota-state/

Dewey

AmsterBison
July 27th, 2018, 12:09 PM
LOL. SHSU should have had about 100 yards of PI calls in that game

Easton Stick didn't get a single PI call to go his way all year - except for twice when the Bison WR caught it and the PI was declined.

CappinHard
July 27th, 2018, 02:14 PM
LOL. SHSU should have had about 100 yards of PI calls in that game

Imo, 1st one was clean, 2nd one could have been called PI on both with the WR pushing off and the DB grabbing so probably a good no call, 3rd one was definitely defensive PI.

Also of note... all 3 of those long throws were on 1st and 10 after a 3rd down conversion between SHSU's 20 and 40. The next time Stig and I are enjoying a Joose together, I'll have to clue him in on that.

POD Knows
July 27th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Imo, 1st one was clean, 2nd one could have been called PI on both with the WR pushing off and the DB grabbing so probably a good no call, 3rd one was definitely defensive PI.

Also of note... all 3 of those long throws were on 1st and 10 after a 3rd down conversion between SHSU's 20 and 40. The next time Stig and I are enjoying a Joose together, I'll have to clue him in on that.That
second one was a flagrant PI. First one was close.

POD Knows
July 27th, 2018, 02:41 PM

Also of note... all 3 of those long throws were on 1st and 10 after a 3rd down conversion between SHSU's 20 and 40. The next time Stig and I are enjoying a Joose together, I'll have to clue him in on that.Make sure
he only has one so he doesn’t forget what you talked about.

AmsterBison
July 27th, 2018, 03:45 PM
That
second one was a flagrant PI. First one was close.

First one, the WR should have made the catch and should have done more to screen out the defender. I couldn't see any PI on the play from the angle we have.
The second one where the defender almost tore the WR's jersey off in plain view - well, if that wasn't PI, then there is no such thing as PI.
The third one, NDSU's D gets that called on them a lot - the defender never turned around and ran into the WR trying to come back for the ball. Of all the non-called PIs on Desmond Cain last year, that is probably the one I'm most OK with - especially if they stop calling them on our defense.

I just like the throws because they were pretty... a little flat, but pretty.

POD Knows
July 27th, 2018, 04:05 PM
First one, the WR should have made the catch and should have done more to screen out the defender. I couldn't see any PI on the play from the angle we have.
The second one where the defender almost tore the WR's jersey off in plain view - well, if that wasn't PI, then there is no such thing as PI.
The third one, NDSU's D gets that called on them a lot - the defender never turned around and ran into the WR trying to come back for the ball. Of all the non-called PIs on Desmond Cain last year, that is probably the one I'm most OK with - especially if they stop calling them on our defense.

I just like the throws because they were pretty... a little flat, but pretty.Yea, I sort of agree on the first one, the second one was a head scratcher as the official had a perfect angle on it. It isn't as if it affected the game very much. xdrunkyx

BisonFan02
July 27th, 2018, 04:35 PM
Yea, I sort of agree on the first one, the second one was a head scratcher as the official had a perfect angle on it. It isn't as if it affected the game very much. xdrunkyx

Run the damn ball!

CappinHard
July 27th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Run the damn ball!

For real... I don't know why you guys throw the ball more than 12-15 times a game, ever. Even if you're down 2 scores, as long as there's more than a quarter of football left, there's literally no reason to throw the ball more than once a possession just to keep teams honest.

BisonFan02
July 27th, 2018, 05:10 PM
For real... I don't know why you guys throw the ball more than 12-15 times a game, ever. Even if you're down 2 scores, as long as there's more than a quarter of football left, there's literally no reason to throw the ball more than once a possession just to keep teams honest.

It becomes apparent when NDSU has given up on the WR position....they go diamond formation with 3 RBs and are throwing wheel routes out of it successfully....and the amount of talent NDSU will have the RB position this next season is silly.

underdawg
July 27th, 2018, 08:48 PM

www.hudl.com/profile/10390230/Nigel-Kilby (http://www.hudl.com/profile/10390230/Nigel-Kilby)

SIU Salukis have Nigel Kilby--- 6-8 250 pound first team JUCO All-American TE sophomore year with 900 plus yards

Also have 6-6 240 Frosh Logan Crouse and 6-6 251 Frosh Brody Parker

Thumper 76
July 28th, 2018, 12:39 AM
www.hudl.com/profile/10390230/Nigel-Kilby (http://www.hudl.com/profile/10390230/Nigel-Kilby)

SIU Salukis have Nigel Kilby--- 6-8 250 pound first team JUCO All-American TE sophomore year with 900 plus yards

Also have 6-6 240 Frosh Logan Crouse and 6-6 251 Frosh Brody Parker

Someone help me, I was so shocked that SIU had another all world transfer that I’ve fallen and can’t get up.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 28th, 2018, 10:20 AM
It becomes apparent when NDSU has given up on the WR position....they go diamond formation with 3 RBs and are throwing wheel routes out of it successfully....and the amount of talent NDSU will have the RB position this next season is silly.

NDSU's has had good WRs but they are not needed to be game breakers. It would be nice to have the 4.4 speedster or the 6-5 or 6-6 WR that can outmatch any 5-10 CB but all of NDSU's WRs can block and that is a must in the offensive system that have been run since Babich left.

Maybe they'll get one of those burners or giant WRs but until then we'll be stuck with a bunch of 5-10 to 6-0 "slot" WRs that can block downfield.

Maybe this Watson kid will break the mold....if he can stay healthy. Engel was the big 6-5 WR but his personal choices got him in trouble.

This year with the OL possibly being one of the best at NDSU and RB depth forever.....ground and pound teams with the play action pass and roll our sprinkled in to keep the defenses honest.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 28th, 2018, 10:23 AM
Someone help me, I was so shocked that SIU had another all world transfer that I’ve fallen and can’t get up.

I only see 16 transfers on their roster.....honestly, I thought there would be more.....and maybe there will be once school starts.

I'm looking forward to seeing their defense in action this year. See if Hill is working on getting that side of the ball better.