PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Offseason 2017-18

Pages : 1 2 [3]

FUBeAR
July 27th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Yes we lost a couple unexpectedly. Also got three 5th year transfer grad studs. That should stem some experience bleeding. But we have had some big turnover before and as I recall we have had some great D's after that regardless, so while I am concerned, I am not panicked at all. Besides if we keep the ball for 35-40 minutes a game, our D will at least be well rested.And I see all 3 are Defensive Players, so that’s good. Looks like the most help will possibly come from the D-Lineman, where y’all already have 67% of the Starters returning, but could always use the depth. He appears to have been a part-time Starter in the always rugged NEC, at least...but the 2 DB’s were, apparently, unable to crack the 2-Deep of a D2 Team & of a BAD FBS Team...so, I’m not sure how much help they’ll provide.

Just on its face, scraping up those guys this late to add to the roster & wear the baby blue for only 1 “pivotal” season seems a bit akin to sticking a finger in the dike (or dyke, whichever is the correct term). Does it not? You may not be panicked, but I’m thinking the CIT Coaching Staff just may be.

Speaking of the Coaching Staff, I did notice that there is only 1 Coach remaining from the 2015 D-Staff when Coach Drayton was the DC. Reckon how much effect that kind of turnover has had on the exoduses (exodi?) we have seen from CIT’s (primarily) Defensive Players since 2016?

Keep the ball 40 minutes? I thought Black was the man with the golden arm that y’all have been craving for the past (fill in the blank) years. So, I expect he’ll be called upon to use it a bit more than his predecessor was. He probably won’t complete ALL of his passes...and the clock still stops after incompletions, right? If he’s what I understand (and actually have seen - he CAN throw it...accurately) him to be, then I would expect at least a 10-15% decrease in TOP for CIT this year. Wait, with that inexperienced of a D, there may be a lot of playing from behind...meaning MORE throwing...make that a 20-25% TOP decrease.

FUBeAR
July 27th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Three more SoCon schools add replay review capability:

https://postandcourier.com/sports/citadel-football-focuses-on-early-commitments-socon-teams-add-instant/article_12f7f616-9113-11e8-a341-b7fc96b27b06.html

That leaves Wofford, VMI, ETSU, and Chattanooga without replay.

C’mon man...

Wofford not adding it? I guess they are tightening their budget belts preparing for the loss of Panthers $$$’s and/or the prospect of being forced to ‘disassociate’ from their UnSecret Santa

Chattanooga is adding a giant $600k video board (hopefully it will muffle that train NOISE) and $300k of ‘premium’ seats. I guess they don’t overlook the blighted factory between the stadium and the interstate. They could put whatever $ they need to do replay in the “miscellaneous expenses” section of the bill for that Video Board. You would think their Head Coach would want them to be the 1st D3 Program with replay...oh, wait..

ETSU just built a brand-new State-of-the-Art Stadium with luxury boxes. Heck they even had ‘replay’ live on the day-to-day Construction of that Stadium. Guess they are sinking their $’s into a contingency fund to pay off Players lawsuits claims against their new Head Coach.

VMI...you’re excused. It probably won’t matter.

These guys do realize we are STILL using SoCon ‘approved’ Officials this year...don’t they?

xbangxxasswhipxxbangxxasswhipxxbangxxasswhipxxbang xxasswhipx

PaladinFan
July 27th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Having watched Sisson several times in HS I would be shocked if he played this season and Furman end up with a winning record. Great kid, good athlete, but I think he requires some serious development. Personally, I would like to see him play S or OLB (with some more weight) in the right system.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have no expectations that either of the two incoming freshman will play immediately. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.

Sisson looked fairly polished on his high school film for a HS QB. Grainger looks like he may have more upside with his athleticism, but is less ready than Sisson. Of course, Furman is going to continue to go after QBs in recruiting, so who knows what the depth chart looks like in a few years.

If I had to guess, the starter for the Paladins will be either Roberts or Lincoln.

ElCid
July 27th, 2018, 07:38 PM
And I see all 3 are Defensive Players, so that’s good. Looks like the most help will possibly come from the D-Lineman, where y’all already have 67% of the Starters returning, but could always use the depth. He appears to have been a part-time Starter in the always rugged NEC, at least...but the 2 DB’s were, apparently, unable to crack the 2-Deep of a D2 Team & of a BAD FBS Team...so, I’m not sure how much help they’ll provide.

Just on its face, scraping up those guys this late to add to the roster & wear the baby blue for only 1 “pivotal” season seems a bit akin to sticking a finger in the dike (or dyke, whichever is the correct term). Does it not? You may not be panicked, but I’m thinking the CIT Coaching Staff just may be.

Speaking of the Coaching Staff, I did notice that there is only 1 Coach remaining from the 2015 D-Staff when Coach Drayton was the DC. Reckon how much effect that kind of turnover has had on the exoduses (exodi?) we have seen from CIT’s (primarily) Defensive Players since 2016?

Keep the ball 40 minutes? I thought Black was the man with the golden arm that y’all have been craving for the past (fill in the blank) years. So, I expect he’ll be called upon to use it a bit more than his predecessor was. He probably won’t complete ALL of his passes...and the clock still stops after incompletions, right? If he’s what I understand (and actually have seen - he CAN throw it...accurately) him to be, then I would expect at least a 10-15% decrease in TOP for CIT this year. Wait, with that inexperienced of a D, there may be a lot of playing from behind...meaning MORE throwing...make that a 20-25% TOP decrease.

Black will pass more....but not that much more.

Milktruck74
July 27th, 2018, 08:10 PM

https://postandcourier.com/sports/citadel-football-focuses-on-early-commitments-socon-teams-add-instant/article_12f7f616-9113-11e8-a341-b7fc96b27b06.html

I pray we never get it. Replay is only as good as the camera shot. an average NFL game has about 30 different cameras, a P5 game has close to that too....maybe 20. the Average SoCon broadcast islucky to have a fixed camera in the booth and two on the sidelines (and one of them is pointed at some kids playing on the hill. I'm all for getting the call right, but based on the limited input, we will most likely hear " the call on the field stands".,....because there is not enough evidence to overturn it.

FUBeAR
July 27th, 2018, 08:15 PM
I pray we never get it. Replay is only as good as the camera shot. an average NFL game has about 30 different cameras, a P5 game has close to that too....maybe 20. the Average SoCon broadcast islucky to have a fixed camera in the booth and two on the sidelines (and one of them is pointed at some kids playing on the hill. I'm all for getting the call right, but based on the limited input, we will most likely hear " the call on the field stands".,....because there is not enough evidence to overturn it.It would have overturned this...

https://www.nationofblue.com/worst-call-in-the-history-of-college-football/

...and that’s enough!

EDIT: And it probably overturns this incompletion that was wrongly ruled a game-ending INT in OT

https://s8.postimg.cc/hmmqtop6t/5_F81225_B-32_C3-4548-8_D42-_CAF46_B0_D4816.png

...and maybe WCU gets another shot & scores on 4th down; and goes on to win the game...and, thus, makes the Playoffs...and Sammy wins the SoCon...and maybe gets that 1st round bye instead of losing to KSU because, instead Woffy goes to KSU in Round 1 and, of course, knocks the Owls out...and goes to SHSU instead of NDSU and beats those no-defense-playing wussies...and does a whole lot better job vs. JMU than they did. So...actually, getting the call right and potentially losing this game to WCU would have been better for Woffy...except for not winning the SoCon. Meanwhile, WCU takes out, I don’t know...New Hampshire maybe..and Furman avenges the loss to Samford in Round 2...and wins another trip to Fargo....

See how one bad call being overturned changes the future of mankind. It’s WORTH IT. C’mon man...if we don’t do that, think how much more white canes and German Shepherds are going to cost for each SoCon Official!

SU DOG
July 28th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Question for Furman folks: What happened to Reynard Ellis? I understand he transferred somewhere, but just wondered if academics or something else was involved. He sure had a good HS career here in B'ham and looked terrific to me last year at FU.

FUBeAR
July 28th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Reynard Ellis? I understand he transferred somewhereWhere?

SU DOG
July 28th, 2018, 11:32 AM
IDK

FUBeAR
July 28th, 2018, 12:30 PM
IDKSo...you don’t really KNOW that he TRANSFERRED, right? You just know he’s not currently on Furman Football’s online roster, right?

PaladinFan
July 28th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Question for Furman folks: What happened to Reynard Ellis? I understand he transferred somewhere, but just wondered if academics or something else was involved. He sure had a good HS career here in B'ham and looked terrific to me last year at FU.

Never had anything definitive. Hendrix said something vague about heading different directions and not another word was said publicly. It was described as a "mutual decision."

The way it was reported didn't sound like an academic issue.

PaladinFan
July 28th, 2018, 01:30 PM
So...you don’t really KNOW that he TRANSFERRED, right? You just know he’s no longer on Furman’s Football roster, right?

I don't know if this applies to Ellis' situation, but I think it is wrong to assume that if a guy is no longer on the roster that he transferred. Some guys just don't want to play football anymore.

PaladinNation
July 28th, 2018, 03:30 PM
Ellis was on the sidelines during the spring game… he was there about half of the scrimmage.

I will say this Staggs is as intense a coach as I've seen at Furman or anywhere else, I would say he has very high expectations. Not everyone is suited for that level of intensity, I have no idea if that played a role in the case of Ellis.

In the later stages of the Wofford playoff game, Staggs was INTENSE. More than usual — there was some player-coach chit-chat going on.

SU DOG
July 28th, 2018, 08:49 PM
I don't know if this applies to Ellis' situation, but I think it is wrong to assume that if a guy is no longer on the roster that he transferred. Some guys just don't want to play football anymore.

Is it wrong to assume that Furman's own report would say TRANSFER right there in the headline if this was not the case? Maybe it is wrong to jump to the conclusion that someone has no source for the wording in their post.

http://www.furmansportsreport.com/2018/02/ellis-to-transfer-as-spring-football.html

PaladinFan
July 28th, 2018, 09:37 PM
Is it wrong to assume that Furman's own report would say TRANSFER right there in the headline if this was not the case? Maybe it is wrong to jump to the conclusion that someone has no source for the wording in their post.

http://www.furmansportsreport.com/2018/02/ellis-to-transfer-as-spring-football.html

1. The beginning of the sentence says "I don't know if this applies to Ellis' situation . . . ." That is, I am making a general comment that sometimes guys fall off a roster and don't actually leave the school.

2. The headline says "to transfer," not "did transfer." As someone else noted, he was at Furman's spring game, which occurred 3 weeks after that article was posted.

SU DOG
July 28th, 2018, 09:58 PM
So the headline in the Furman report says "Ellis to transfer" and Coach Hendrix says "he's going to find somewhere that's a better fit for him and we wish him the best". So I should have read this, done extensive further research on this player, and not assumed he transferred? Oh yeah, let me render my sincerest apology. xlolx Actually, I do regret even asking a simple question.

FUBeAR
July 28th, 2018, 10:06 PM
let me render my sincerest apology.Accepted

PaladinFan
July 29th, 2018, 06:35 AM
So the headline in the Furman report says "Ellis to transfer" and Coach Hendrix says "he's going to find somewhere that's a better fit for him and we wish him the best". So I should have read this, done extensive further research on this player, and not assumed he transferred? Oh yeah, let me render my sincerest apology. xlolx Actually, I do regret even asking a simple question.

He probably did. I have no idea. There are some guys that just don't play football anymore and just stay students.

kdinva
July 30th, 2018, 08:45 AM
https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2018/jul/30/experience-plus-vmis-offense/475944/

PaladinFan
July 30th, 2018, 08:50 AM
https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2018/jul/30/experience-plus-vmis-offense/475944/

This is less than desirable.

His defense, which ranked last in the league a year ago, must rebuild. The Keydets lost their top four tacklers from last season, including all four of their linebackers. Wachenheim said they will have to rely on some true freshmen to contribute immediately in that regard.

Reign of Terrier
July 30th, 2018, 05:21 PM
Ellis to Georgia Southern.

SU DOG
July 30th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Ellis to Georgia Southern.

THANK YOU

Reign of Terrier
July 30th, 2018, 05:30 PM
to be fair, I literally just saw this thread, googled him, found his twitter account and saw a tweet that said GATA that was posted in the last two hours.

PaladinFan
July 30th, 2018, 06:37 PM
to be fair, I literally just saw this thread, googled him, found his twitter account and saw a tweet that said GATA that was posted in the last two hours.

Just saw that too. That’s the first I’ve seen anything about it. I’m sure he’ll have to sit a season, but he didn’t redshirt last year.

Not sure what all happened with that relationship, but having a starter for Furman transfer to Georgia Southern is peculiar.

FUBeAR
July 30th, 2018, 07:34 PM
Just saw that too. That’s the first I’ve seen anything about it. I’m sure he’ll have to sit a season, but he didn’t redshirt last year.

Not sure what all happened with that relationship, but having a starter for Furman transfer to Georgia Southern is peculiar.Not sure if he was a Starter for Furman’s Wrestling Team, But he is the most famous FU to GaSou ‘export’ (bottom row, 3rd from right)

http://www.scmat.com/Furman%20wrestling%20roster%201971-1972.jpg

Apparently, younger brother, Don “Bubba,” was a Wrestler for the Paladins as well...before he transferred to and graduated from Samford. I like their chicken, but those boys got no sense when it comes to their final matriculations.

Actually...after further research, it appears Furman dropped Wrestling after 1974, possibly leading to the transfers out by the Cathy brothers. Reckon how much Furman saved by dropping Rasslin’ and what the net total donations lost have been for Furman & net gained by GaSou & Samford have been? The Cathy’s estimated combined Net Worth is $9.6 Billion (with a “B”). I’m just guessing, but I’m betting FU’s Administration would like a do-over on that call. See...if they only had replay back then, maybe they would have gotten it right!

CID1990
July 31st, 2018, 06:51 AM
Also, that appears to be CIT’s All SoCon/All-America Safety standing flat-footed, watching Burnette run by him for the catch.

You mean the one who was playing for Miami when this game was played?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
July 31st, 2018, 07:06 AM
You mean the one who was playing for Miami when this game was played?

Welcome back! And quoting a post almost 100 posts deep in this thread. Very impressive ‘catching up’ work there!

No, that CIT exodusized Player, who completed his eligibility playing for the Miami Hurricanes in 2017, was a CB.

I mean this one...a Safety, & still a Sr. (as rare as that is these days) on the bellhop roster...

HONORS AND AWARDS
2018 HERO Sports Preseason All-America Third Team
2017 All-Southern Conference First Team (media)
2017 All-Southern Conference Second Team (coaches)
2017 Southern Conference Defensive Player of the Month (October)

JUNIOR (2017): Named to the All-Southern Conference First Team by the league media … Earned second-team All-SoCon honors from the conference’s coaches

...unless someone else was wearing his number that day.

Oooh, I get it. Your comment is foreshadowing & letting us know that this one has transferred out also. Very sly. I’ll watch the wires for the Official announcement and look forward to seeing how much moving to FBS also enhances his position in the NFL draft.

BTW - I have been negligent in offering congratulations to WCU’s Keion Crossen, a DB for the Catamounts, who, in 2017, completed his 4 years of eligibility in Cullowhee, & then was drafted by the New England Patriots in this year’s draft. I’m sure WCU, the SoCon & the entire FCS are proud of Mr. Crossen and his loyalty to HIS Team!

FUBeAR
July 31st, 2018, 12:36 PM

Hey look... http://www.patriotleague.org/news/2018/7/24/patriot-league-football-to-expand-instant-replay-for-2018-season.aspx ... thanks to foot-dragging by Wofford, Chattanooga, ETSU, and VMI; the SoCon falls behind the Patriot League, and further behind almost all of the rest of FCS Football, in its implementation of replay review.

C’mon man...NO excuse for Woffy & Chatt not having it this season (as they have previously demonstrated the capability to do it) & probably no GOOD excuse from ETSU nor VMI.

I wish them all a boatload of bad unreviewed calls against their Teams at home & I would wish them a plethora of 1st half bad Targeting calls on many, many of their Players...but that’s not fair to the young men...so I won’t wish that...even though their own schools don’t seem to care that their Players could unduly lose a substantial part of their seasons through no fault of their own.

Uhm, uhm, um.

Smitty
July 31st, 2018, 12:49 PM
After watching WCU coverage for many years now, good luck... I'm still recovering from motion sickness with the zoomed in shots they had last year

Reign of Terrier
July 31st, 2018, 01:46 PM
We must not forget the abortion that was ETSU's camera angles. I've never become physically angered by a fully functioning broadcast as I was in the first quarter of the ETSU Wofford game and all they had was an infernal endzone angle for a triple option team.