PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Offseason 2017-18

Pages : 1 [2] 3

PaladinFan
February 27th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Then I'm glad we play in Charleston this year. 

After watching the last game between our clubs, I imagine Hendrix will bring that winning back to Charleston too. :)

FUBeAR
February 28th, 2018, 08:41 AM
New UTC cornerbacks coach Jeremiah Wilson adds 'sauce' to football

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2018/feb/28/new-utc-cornerbacks-coach-wilsadds-sauce-foot/464804/

Hmmm? If there's one thing I HAVEN'T seen UTC's Secondary lack in recent years, it's 'sauce.' I've seen the Mocs have great athletes back there that lacked discipline and fundamentals (which they were often able to overcome due to their athleticism), but they have NEVER been short on 'sauce.'

Will be interesting to see if this new extra shot of 'sauce' results in completely locking down every Team in the SoCon or just a lot (more) unnecessary 'laundry' (AKA, DAP's) for the Mocs.

Milktruck74
March 1st, 2018, 06:58 AM
According to some on our forum, Furman was expecting 50 juniors at their spring game. They had 200.

I agree with PaladinNation, Hendrix is bringing winning back to Greenville.

Do y'all even have 200 juniors on Campus?

FUBeAR
March 1st, 2018, 07:01 AM

HIGH SCHOOL JUNIORS, i.e., RISING SENIORS, i.e., 2019 RECRUITS

C'mon man, Ex-OLmen are supposed to be the smartest guys on the message boards xsmiley_wix

https://media1.tenor.com/images/bd3a9db020a099e99d05b885db6d3818/tenor.gif?itemid=4393007

PaladinFan
March 1st, 2018, 08:02 AM

I think there is between 700-800 students per class at Furman. So, yes.

PaladinFan
March 1st, 2018, 08:03 AM
HIGH SCHOOL JUNIORS, i.e., RISING SENIORS, i.e., 2019 RECRUITS

C'mon man, Ex-OLmen are supposed to be the smartest guys on the message boards xsmiley_wix

https://media1.tenor.com/images/bd3a9db020a099e99d05b885db6d3818/tenor.gif?itemid=4393007

Ha. I didn't read it that way.

I also do not think 25% of Furman's current junior class came out to watch the spring game. It'd be nice if 25% of them would show up to watch an actual football game in the fall.

Milktruck74
March 1st, 2018, 09:56 AM
xeekxxeekxxeekx

Ha. I didn't read it that way.

I also do not think 25% of Furman's current junior class came out to watch the spring game. It'd be nice if 25% of them would show up to watch an actual football game in the fall.

PaladinNation
March 1st, 2018, 02:36 PM
A short video clip of redshirt freshman JeMar Lincoln - on a rollout pass -
https://youtu.be/oI5h5jk1ZEk

SU DOG
March 3rd, 2018, 02:59 PM
Nice Hodges article:

http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/the-great-devlin-hodges/

PaladinFan
March 3rd, 2018, 03:02 PM
Nice Hodges article:

http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/the-great-devlin-hodges/

To me, that article adds some light to my question of why Hodges is never pulled out of the game.

kdinva
March 5th, 2018, 01:29 PM
VMI Spring ball dates:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27221&stc=1

kdinva
March 22nd, 2018, 11:26 AM
VMI has five new assistant coaches for 2018:

http://www.vmikeydets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9800&ATCLID=211707254

ElCid
June 19th, 2018, 03:27 PM
My Bulldogs getting three grad transfers.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/citadel-football-adds-three-graduate-student-transfers-to-boost-roster/article_526425ba-732a-11e8-bd61-df67580d9870.html

Citadel football adds three graduate-student transfers to boost 2018 roster

The Citadel is adding three graduate-student transfers to bolster the Bulldogs' roster for the 2018 season.

Coach Brent Thompson confirmed Monday that defensive backs Ronald Peterkin of Georgia State and Cliff Barrett of Lenoir-Rhyne and defensive lineman Shawn McCord of St. Francis University have been cleared to join the program.

All three have graduated from their respective schools and will have one season of eligibility at The Citadel.....

Always nice to get some experience. Especially at some thin positions. You never know what you will get with Grads. We have done well and had some so-so folks.

PaladinFan
June 19th, 2018, 03:43 PM
My Bulldogs getting three grad transfers.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/citadel-football-adds-three-graduate-student-transfers-to-boost-roster/article_526425ba-732a-11e8-bd61-df67580d9870.html

Always nice to get some experience. Especially at some thin positions. You never know what you will get with Grads. We have done well and had some so-so folks.

In a similar vein, Furman announced three transfers this winter, and two of them just dropped off the roster. Only man left standing is former Clemson DB Amir Trapp.

kdinva
June 19th, 2018, 05:33 PM
VMI has five new assistant coaches for 2018:

http://www.vmikeydets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9800&ATCLID=211707254

...and now a sixth....

http://www.vmikeydets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9800&ATCLID=211718771

ElCid
June 19th, 2018, 08:43 PM
...and now a sixth....

Can't hurt....right?

PaladinFan
June 20th, 2018, 05:58 AM
...and now a sixth....

Curious. Why hasn't VMI embraced the triple option?

I think every other military school runs a version of that offense.

Mocs123
June 20th, 2018, 09:38 AM
I agree. Now that Cobb is gone, the TO is a good choice for VMI. My only concern with that (for VMI) would be with Wofford and The Citadel running it SoCon teams may see it enough to prepare better for it.

PaladinFan
June 20th, 2018, 10:22 AM
I agree. Now that Cobb is gone, the TO is a good choice for VMI. My only concern with that (for VMI) would be with Wofford and The Citadel running it SoCon teams may see it enough to prepare better for it.

Could it be any worse than trying to line up and trying to run a spread offense against a schedule full of teams that are bigger, stronger, and faster than you are at every position?

The utility of the option in the modern game is it negates some of the size and speed advantages of your opponent. There are a bunch of different variations of the offense. Even the Citadel and Wofford run versions that vary starkly.

My general point is that VMI isn't going to be able to recruit the guys that can win doing what they are doing on offense. Not in the SoCon. If you can't recruit the right personnel, you are better served going full buy in to land athletes you can recruit. That's where the option becomes useful.

I've always been impressed with VMI's tenacity. In fact, I think they have had some pretty good defensive players. Those defense players, though, are eventually going to wear out if you can't move the ball. It's not like their offense is necessarily going to get any worse making a system change.

longtimemocfan
June 22nd, 2018, 05:44 AM
Could it be any worse than trying to line up and trying to run a spread offense against a schedule full of teams that are bigger, stronger, and faster than you are at every position?

The utility of the option in the modern game is it negates some of the size and speed advantages of your opponent. There are a bunch of different variations of the offense. Even the Citadel and Wofford run versions that vary starkly.

My general point is that VMI isn't going to be able to recruit the guys that can win doing what they are doing on offense. Not in the SoCon. If you can't recruit the right personnel, you are better served going full buy in to land athletes you can recruit. That's where the option becomes useful.

I've always been impressed with VMI's tenacity. In fact, I think they have had some pretty good defensive players. Those defense players, though, are eventually going to wear out if you can't move the ball. It's not like their offense is necessarily going to get any worse making a system change.

Tend to agree with your assessment here. True if you add another team to the TO pool you see it a little more, but everyone runs their own version of it. It gives you a chance to move the ball, take time off the clock and keep a defense without a lot of depth rested.

FUBeAR
June 22nd, 2018, 06:11 PM
Curious. Why hasn't VMI embraced the triple option?

I think every other military school runs a version of that offense.I don’t think this is the OC you hire if you have the slightest inkling of even considering pivoting to a ground-based attack...

“Joining the Keydets on the offensive side of the ball are Brian Sheppard (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)...Sheppard begins offensive coordinator duties after serving in the same capacity at Northern Arizona University in 2017. He helped lead the Lumberjack offense to a 2017 FCS playoff berth and mentored NAU quarterback Case Cookus who threw for 3,413 yards and 22 touchdowns while the offense averaged 30.2 points per game. Sheppard also served as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Indiana State from 2013 through 2016 and was also named assistant head coach for the 2015 and 2016 seasons. He helped turn around a team that went 1-11 in 2013 to an 8-6 mark in 2014 and aided the Sycamores program in attaining its first playoff appearance and win in over 30 years. Sheppard’s coaching resume also includes stops at Willamette University, Alderson-Broaddus, West Virginia Wesleyan, UCLA, New Mexico State, and Tulsa. Sheppard played quarterback at Saddleback Junior College (Calif.), Southeastern Louisiana University, and Baker University (Kansas) where he graduated in 2006.“

I don’t know, though. Perhaps Alderson-Broaddus or West Virginia Wesleyan ran the Wishbone and/or Wing-T. I don’t follow either of those programs very closely.

kdinva
June 22nd, 2018, 06:40 PM

Folks I spoke with say that VMI's new starter, Udinski, will be better than Cobb......VMI's key to winning will hang on the performance of the O-Line......and replacing the six lost starters on Defense....

SU DOG
June 22nd, 2018, 07:34 PM
I don't claim to be an expert on VMI football, and I hope to high heavens that Udinski is just half as good as Cobb, but to say he will be better? I watched him in several games last season, and I just don't believe that there is any way. Look at Cobb's first year at QB and he had some nice stats, while Udinski struggled this past year. Please don't misunderstand, we all know the SoCon needs for VMI to improve, and here's hoping that happens. I just think that Cobb was far better than Udinski will ever be, and I hope I am wrong.

FUBeAR
June 22nd, 2018, 10:25 PM
VMI's new starter, Udinski, will be better than Cobb.

https://i.imgflip.com/2cqict.jpg

GreenGlasses
June 23rd, 2018, 12:51 PM
Seriously what is considered "Good" for VMI. They haven't won 7 games since the IA/IAA split in 1978. Their last 7 win season was in 1977, to put that in perspective I was 5 turning 6 at the end of that year. Since then they have had 3 6 win seasons (1979, 1981, 2003), and 2 5 win seasons (1982, 2002), have had many more 1 win or no win seasons (1 win 1984, 1986, 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2006 -- 0 win seasons 1997, 2004, 2017).

So could Undinski be a little better than Cobb, it's possible. Even though Cobb threw for 7,729 yards in 3 seasons at VMI he only threw 43 TDs and had 35 INTs. He was also sacked a whopping 69 times. Lets avg that out for a season: Passing 2576, TDs 14.3, INTs 12, Sacks 23. Also Cobb in 3 years only won 7 games. Even if Undinski is better will it really show on the field or in the stats.

Im sorry VMI but if there was ever a real candidate to move to D2, the Keydets are it.

Milktruck74
June 23rd, 2018, 05:02 PM
Seriously what is considered "Good" for VMI. They haven't won 7 games since the IA/IAA split in 1978. Their last 7 win season was in 1977, to put that in perspective I was 5 turning 6 at the end of that year. Since then they have had 3 6 win seasons (1979, 1981, 2003), and 2 5 win seasons (1982, 2002), have had many more 1 win or no win seasons (1 win 1984, 1986, 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2006 -- 0 win seasons 1997, 2004, 2017).

So could Undinski be a little better than Cobb, it's possible. Even though Cobb threw for 7,729 yards in 3 seasons at VMI he only threw 43 TDs and had 35 INTs. He was also sacked a whopping 69 times. Lets avg that out for a season: Passing 2576, TDs 14.3, INTs 12, Sacks 23. Also Cobb in 3 years only won 7 games. Even if Undinski is better will it really show on the field or in the stats.

Im sorry VMI but if there was ever a real candidate to move to D2, the Keydets are it.

Nice history lesson.

So, why does Citadel have winning programs and VMI can not seem to do so? Both are small military schools (1700 vs 2300 students). Both have limited female enrollment. Both have a similar endowment to fund their programs, with VMI actually being about 10% higher. Their campuses and athletic facilities are similar. They both have very supportive alumni......SO why cant VMI win?

FUBeAR
June 23rd, 2018, 05:46 PM
Nice history lesson.

So, why does Citadel have winning programs and VMI can not seem to do so? Both are small military schools (1700 vs 2300 students). Both have limited female enrollment. Both have a similar endowment to fund their programs, with VMI actually being about 10% higher. Their campuses and athletic facilities are similar. They both have very supportive alumni......SO why cant VMI win?
I have seen - “no grad school,” “no 5th year reprieve from military training,” and a few others. I, personally, believe the difference is the greater mileage from Lexington, VA to the center of the state of Georgia than from Charleston, SC. I may be biased, but I honestly believe that IS the primary factor. VMI has 2 players from GA on their roster. CIT has 19.

Just for further comparison...and let’s add FL ‘in the mix’...probably should have added The Sunshine State from the start...

Mercer has 65 from GA + 13 from FL = 78
Samford has 41 from GA + 12 from FL = 53
Furman has 32 from GA + 10 from FL = 42
WCU has 22 from GA + 4 from FL = 26
CIT has 19 from GA + 5 from FL = 24
Chattanooga has 15 from GA + 5 from FL = 20
ETSU has 14 from GA + 6 from FL = 20
Wofford has 12 from GA + 6 from FL = 18
VMI has 2 from GA + 0 from FL = 2

Others...

Kennesaw has 69 from GA + 2 from FL = 71
Jacksonville State has 15 from GA + 5 from FL = 20
James Madison (has 5 from GA + 4 from FL = 9
NDSU has 0 from GA + 7 from FL = 7

kdinva
June 23rd, 2018, 06:47 PM
Nice history lesson.

So, why does Citadel have winning programs and VMI can not seem to do so?

Most say the amount of support at the top.......The Citadel wants to win SoCon FB championships......VMI's boss wants to "compete"........and the Coaches Salaries at VMI (not just FB), are in the bottom 1/3 of all FCS.......not just w/in the SoCon.....

GreenGlasses
June 23rd, 2018, 06:54 PM
Nice history lesson.

The answer is simple... VMI deemphasized football and athletics as a whole in the early 1980s. Right around the time Davidson had decided to leave the SoCon, somewhere around 1982-83. I can't remember if it was 3 or 4 year notice that Davidson had to give but their last year was 1986. Its just a guess but Im betting that VMI has the lowest athletic budget in the SoCon and probably one of the lowest if not the lowest of any conference that gives scholarships.

It's often said that a blind squirrel can even find a nut ever so often. But I think VMI has been playing as Jed Clampett would call it a Cement Pond with not trees around it for years.

PaladinFan
June 24th, 2018, 08:22 AM
The answer is simple... VMI deemphasized football and athletics as a whole in the early 1980s. Right around the time Davidson had decided to leave the SoCon, somewhere around 1982-83. I can't remember if it was 3 or 4 year notice that Davidson had to give but their last year was 1986. Its just a guess but Im betting that VMI has the lowest athletic budget in the SoCon and probably one of the lowest if not the lowest of any conference that gives scholarships.

It's often said that a blind squirrel can even find a nut ever so often. But I think VMI has been playing as Jed Clampett would call it a Cement Pond with not trees around it for years.

I'm not anti-VMI, but I wonder how long the conference will abide underfunding athletic programs. At this stage, I'm not sure what the value added is for the Southern Conference besides a pseudo-rivalry game for the Citadel.

VMI didn't finish with a winning record in any conference sponsored sport as far as I can tell. In the sports they do sponsor, they were often dead last or nearly winless. They offer virtually nothing to the women's sports.

Again, I've got nothing personal against VMI, but if you aren't going to fund competitive athletic programs, D2 or non-scholarship ball might be the better solution.

longtimemocfan
June 24th, 2018, 09:21 AM
I just know when Cobb decided to quit playing football he was one of if not the best QB in the league at the time.

ElCid
June 24th, 2018, 10:21 AM
I just know when Cobb decided to quit playing football he was one of if not the best QB in the league at the time.

I sort of thought so as well. Except he liked to complete passes to the other team almost as often as to his own receivers. He could have been the spark that turned then around.

Overall, and I don't wish to speak for VMI, but there is obviously not the push to step up in athletics that there is at other schools, including ours. I will also say that I think they have prioritized their commitment to athletics in the big picture of providing for the education of their Keydet students. If they are comfortable with the situation, and specifically the role that athletics is playing, then I got no problem with them. I would rather have them in the SOCON than someone who goes all in for athletics at the possible expense of everything else.

VMI's being slightly outside the geographic hotbed of recruiting may have an impact on its recruiting, but I don't think it is as big an impact for any athlete who wants to go to a specialized school like VMI anyway. That is a smaller pool to begin with. They may go to The Citadel instead simply because, well, its Charleston vs Lexington.:D If I was in charge of VMI athletics, I would double the recruiting budget and I think you see some improvements. The kids are out there, you just got to find them.

GreenGlasses
June 24th, 2018, 12:33 PM

I just gave you Cobb's stats. He was mediocre at best, sure he threw for 7,720 in 3 seasons and that is good but he only had 8 more TDs than he had INTs at 43 TDs and 35 INTs and was sacked 69 times. Avg that out per year and its 14 TDs and 12 INTs. That means he avged 1.2 TDs, 1.1 INTs and was on his back 2 times a game. If he was one of the best QB in the SoCon at that time then that's saying a lot about the talent pool of the SoCon. In my opinion Cobb was all smoke and mirrors, and most not expecting much from VMI year in and year out he looked decent. But break him down and you see what he is. Also in 34 starts he won 7 games (2014- Davidson, Furman, 2015- Morehead State, Mercer, 2016- Morehead State, Bucknell, ETSU).

There is no way he would have started for the upper half of the SoCon from 2014 to 2016. Im not even sure he would have been the #1 back up anywhere.

I'm not anti-VMI, but I wonder how long the conference will abide underfunding athletic programs. At this stage, I'm not sure what the value added is for the Southern Conference besides a pseudo-rivalry game for the Citadel.

VMI didn't finish with a winning record in any conference sponsored sport as far as I can tell. In the sports they do sponsor, they were often dead last or nearly winless. They offer virtually nothing to the women's sports.

Again, I've got nothing personal against VMI, but if you aren't going to fund competitive athletic programs, D2 or non-scholarship ball might be the better solution.

I never understood the SoCon welcoming back VMI with open arms just because of The Cit. If the Cit thinks VMI is such a big rivalry then why couldn't they have just scheduled it as an OOC game.

I could care less that VMI was in the SoCon from 1924-2003 if they bring absolutely nothing to the table why bring them back. I mean would anyone welcome Davidson back to the SoCon without their basketball which would stay in the A10. I mean they was a member of the SoCon from 1936-2013 all sports, 1936-1986 football.

ElCid
June 24th, 2018, 12:57 PM
There is no way he would have started for the upper half of the SoCon from 2014 to 2016. Im not even sure he would have been the #1 back up anywhere.

That's a bit harsh. He was easily better than that. His line did him no favors.

SU DOG
June 24th, 2018, 01:45 PM
That's a bit harsh. He was easily better than that. His line did him no favors.

So VERY true. You can use stats to argue that Cobb wasn't any good, but you must not have seen him in person. Kid had talent, was a very good QB, but had absolutely NO supporting cast. There were numerous games that VMI lost(especially his junior year), when they actually had a lead at the half, simply because they had NO depth. Cobb also had to rush many passes because their O-Line was so porous, and it is hard to improve your stats when you are so often lying on your backside.

ElCid
June 24th, 2018, 02:49 PM
So VERY true. You can use stats to argue that Cobb wasn't any good, but you must not have seen him in person. Kid had talent, was a very good QB, but had absolutely NO supporting cast. There were numerous games that VMI lost(especially his junior year), when they actually had a lead at the half, simply because they had NO depth. Cobb also had to rush many passes because their O-Line was so porous, and it is hard to improve your stats when you are so often lying on your backside.

A great analogy. Very well put.

kdinva
June 24th, 2018, 03:00 PM
I'm not anti-VMI,.....they offer virtually nothing to the women's sports......

there is nothing in the SoCon Constitution that every school has to sponsor all womens sports out there.......VMI chose water polo for the women because some of the swimmers "double up" and play water polo.....which has finished 3rd and 4th in the MAAC the past two seasons.....and a couple weeks received some votes in the Top-25 poll.

longtimemocfan
June 24th, 2018, 07:22 PM
I just gave you Cobb's stats. He was mediocre at best, sure he threw for 7,720 in 3 seasons and that is good but he only had 8 more TDs than he had INTs at 43 TDs and 35 INTs and was sacked 69 times. Avg that out per year and its 14 TDs and 12 INTs. That means he avged 1.2 TDs, 1.1 INTs and was on his back 2 times a game. If he was one of the best QB in the SoCon at that time then that's saying a lot about the talent pool of the SoCon. In my opinion Cobb was all smoke and mirrors, and most not expecting much from VMI year in and year out he looked decent. But break him down and you see what he is. Also in 34 starts he won 7 games (2014- Davidson, Furman, 2015- Morehead State, Mercer, 2016- Morehead State, Bucknell, ETSU).

I never understood the SoCon welcoming back VMI with open arms just because of The Cit. If the Cit thinks VMI is such a big rivalry then why couldn't they have just scheduled it as an OOC game.

I could care less that VMI was in the SoCon from 1924-2003 if they bring absolutely nothing to the table why bring them back. I mean would anyone welcome Davidson back to the SoCon without their basketball which would stay in the A10. I mean they was a member of the SoCon from 1936-2013 all sports, 1936-1986 football.

Totally disagree with you. Wins and losses aren't always on the quarterback. You also can't judge a QB on stats alone. You give Cobb lineman and receivers from a top level team in the conference he most certainly could have started for them. I saw him play twice against us and was pretty impressed both times especially with what he had to work with. Did you ever watch him actually play or are you going solely off stats you looked up ?

cx500d
June 24th, 2018, 07:36 PM
I sort of thought so as well. Except he liked to complete passes to the other team almost as often as to his own receivers. He could have been the spark that turned then around.

Overall, and I don't wish to speak for VMI, but there is obviously not the push to step up in athletics that there is at other schools, including ours. I will also say that I think they have prioritized their commitment to athletics in the big picture of providing for the education of their Keydet students. If they are comfortable with the situation, and specifically the role that athletics is playing, then I got no problem with them. I would rather have them in the SOCON than someone who goes all in for athletics at the possible expense of everything else.

VMI's being slightly outside the geographic hotbed of recruiting may have an impact on its recruiting, but I don't think it is as big an impact for any athlete who wants to go to a specialized school like VMI anyway. That is a smaller pool to begin with. They may go to The Citadel instead simply because, well, its Charleston vs Lexington.:D If I was in charge of VMI athletics, I would double the recruiting budget and I think you see some improvements. The kids are out there, you just got to find them.

Those poor VMI cadets probably couldn't get served in a restaurant there.

GreenGlasses
June 24th, 2018, 07:59 PM
Totally disagree with you. Wins and losses aren't always on the quarterback. You also can't judge a QB on stats alone. You give Cobb lineman and receivers from a top level team in the conference he most certainly could have started for them. I saw him play twice against us and was pretty impressed both times especially with what he had to work with. Did you ever watch him actually play or are you going solely off stats you looked up ?

I seen Cobb play at least 5 times, two of his wins the 2014 Furman Game and the 2016 Morehead State game. Morehead State along with Davidson might be a few programs run worse than VMI is.

In the Furman game he threw 3 INTs none of which were his lines fault. I noticed in that game he had a tendency to stare his go to receiver down even before they got to the line. If you have an experienced D- then they can pick up on things like that.

Maybe I was a little harsh on him but I will stand by my statement that he would not have started for the upper part of the conference (Top 3 each year). Those programs would have had better options that would have easily beat out Cobb.

longtimemocfan
June 24th, 2018, 10:06 PM
I seen Cobb play at least 5 times, two of his wins the 2014 Furman Game and the 2016 Morehead State game. Morehead State along with Davidson might be a few programs run worse than VMI is.

In the Furman game he threw 3 INTs none of which were his lines fault. I noticed in that game he had a tendency to stare his go to receiver down even before they got to the line. If you have an experienced D- then they can pick up on things like that.

Maybe I was a little harsh on him but I will stand by my statement that he would not have started for the upper part of the conference (Top 3 each year). Those programs would have had better options that would have easily beat out Cobb.

I might have given a little too much credit, but he dang near beat us in 2015. Showed a lot of grit in that game. The games I saw he was running for his life most of the game and didn't have time to stare at anybody. I know he made some good pre snap reads and made some incredible passes under duress. I still say in the right setting he would still be among the best throwing QBs in the conference during his time.

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2018, 04:57 AM
I might have given a little too much credit, but he dang near beat us in 2015. Showed a lot of grit in that game. The games I saw he was running for his life most of the game and didn't have time to stare at anybody. I know he made some good pre snap reads and made some incredible passes under duress. I still say in the right setting he would still be among the best throwing QBs in the conference during his time.

He was a talented QB. It’s hard to dissassociate the player from the talent around him though. If Cobb had played with some of the offensive talent of a, say, UTC, he could have been one of the conference greats.

Coaching matters a lot too. Reese Hannon churned up the record books over four year of Furman playing for really bad teams. I lament that he wasn’t able to play for Clay Hendrix and this offensive staff, because I think he would have been phenomenal.

longtimemocfan
June 25th, 2018, 08:25 AM
He was a talented QB. It’s hard to dissassociate the player from the talent around him though. If Cobb had played with some of the offensive talent of a, say, UTC, he could have been one of the conference greats.

Coaching matters a lot too. Reese Hannon churned up the record books over four year of Furman playing for really bad teams. I lament that he wasn’t able to play for Clay Hendrix and this offensive staff, because I think he would have been phenomenal.

I think Hannon battled some injuries too. Had a really good year in 2016 when he threw for 20 TD passes. He was talented.

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2018, 08:37 AM
I think Hannon battled some injuries too. Had a really good year in 2016 when he threw for 20 TD passes. He was talented.

He did struggle some with injuries, but in my opinion a lot of that was due to abysmal offensive line play and the complete absence of any running game. He got beat up on a bunch. Hannon probably took more direct hits in a single game as a starter than PJ Blazejowski took all of last year (unscientific). A good running game and offensive line play will do wonders for a QB.

Hannon was a tough hombre, though. I hate that his career coincided with poor offensive football run by our last administration. Watching that offense nearly drove me away from Furman football.

longtimemocfan
June 25th, 2018, 03:28 PM
He did struggle some with injuries, but in my opinion a lot of that was due to abysmal offensive line play and the complete absence of any running game. He got beat up on a bunch. Hannon probably took more direct hits in a single game as a starter than PJ Blazejowski took all of last year (unscientific). A good running game and offensive line play will do wonders for a QB.

Hannon was a tough hombre, though. I hate that his career coincided with poor offensive football run by our last administration. Watching that offense nearly drove me away from Furman football.

Know where your coming from. That is exactly what happened to 2 of Chatts QB's last year. Poor offensive line play and no running game. Took too many hits.

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Know where your coming from. That is exactly what happened to 2 of Chatts QB's last year. Poor offensive line play and no running game. Took too many hits.

Offenses have to keep defenses honest. When a defense can eliminate part of your game and make the offense one dimensional, it is bad news.

ElCid
June 25th, 2018, 05:26 PM
Offenses have to keep defenses honest. When a defense can eliminate part of your game and make the offense one dimensional, it is bad news.

Unless you are one dimensional to begin with, and you do it well, and defenses struggle to stop even that.:D

Milktruck74
June 25th, 2018, 10:13 PM
there is nothing in the SoCon Constitution that every school has to sponsor all womens sports out there.......VMI chose water polo for the women because some of the swimmers "double up" and play water polo.....which has finished 3rd and 4th in the MAAC the past two seasons.....and a couple weeks received some votes in the Top-25 poll.

I think there are only 27 Women's water polo teams in the NCAA....Ha.

ElCid
June 25th, 2018, 10:26 PM

I found 34 in Div I.

kdinva
June 26th, 2018, 05:25 AM

FWIW--------56

http://www.thefosh.net/

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2018, 05:42 AM
Unless you are one dimensional to begin with, and you do it well, and defenses struggle to stop even that.:D

I guess I should say that being two dimensional doesn't necessarily mean you have to be 50/50 run pass. It just keeps the other option on the table long enough for defenses to have to respect it.

Just for comparison's sake, this is everyone's run/pass ratio last season:

The Citadel: 82%
Wofford: 80%
Furman: 70%
WCU: 60%
Mercer: 59%
ETSU: 53%
VMI: 49%
UTC: 47%
Samford: 38%

FUBeAR
June 26th, 2018, 06:41 AM
I guess I should say that being two dimensional doesn't necessarily mean you have to be 50/50 run pass. It just keeps the other option on the table long enough for defenses to have to respect it.

Samford: 38%Interesting to note that 3 of the 4 ‘least balanced’ Teams in the SoCon made the playoffs & the the 5 ‘most balanced’ did not. Perhaps doing what you do well more often is more important than achieving the ‘goal’ I often hear Coaches state of being balanced.

Might be interesting to correlate those stats with Scoring Offense & Time of Possession - 2 stats that matter because, well, > points win games & the other Team can’t score (usually) if they don’t have the football. Don’t really care about yards. If you can’t put the ball in the enzyme, gaining yards don’t really matter.

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2018, 06:53 AM
Interesting to note that 3 of the 4 ‘least balanced’ Teams in the SoCon made the playoffs & the the 5 ‘most balanced’ did not. Perhaps doing what you do well more often is more important than achieving the ‘goal’ I often hear Coaches state of being balanced.

Might be interesting to correlate those stats with Scoring Offense & Time of Possession - 2 stats that matter because, well, > points win games & the other Team can’t score (usually) if they don’t have the football. Don’t really care about yards. If you can’t put the ball in the enzyme, gaining yards don’t really matter.

I think "balance" is in the eye of the beholder.

Furman was a bit unique in that they had the third most rushing attempts and yards, and the third fewest passing attempts. Only Samford had more passing yards, though. Hard to defend a team that can run the ball at you 7 times out 10 and then also be arguably the league's second best passing team.

ElCid
June 26th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Interesting to note that 3 of the 4 ‘least balanced’ Teams in the SoCon made the playoffs & the the 5 ‘most balanced’ did not. Perhaps doing what you do well more often is more important than achieving the ‘goal’ I often hear Coaches state of being balanced.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

We are the perfect example of both sides of your idea. In 2016 we proved that holding the ball and scoring and keeping it away from other teams wins games. We had it down pat. In 2017 we proved that holding the ball, and not scoring as well, and keeping it away from other teams only wins games sometimes. You are right about yards without scoring for sure. I think we won the SOCON crown for that last year.

The perfect example of futility was the Samford game. We turned the ball over, on downs, AFTER drives of 58, 49, 67, and 56 yards. With two inside the 10, one inside the 20 and one about the 30. That was on our young OLine mostly.

FUBeAR
June 26th, 2018, 08:27 AM
Maybe yes, maybe no.

We are the perfect example of both sides of your idea. In 2016 we proved that holding the ball and scoring and keeping it away from other teams wins games. We had it down pat. In 2017 we proved that holding the ball, and not scoring as well, and keeping it away from other teams only wins games sometimes. You are right about yards without scoring for sure. I think we won the SOCON crown for that last year.

The perfect example of futility was the Samford game. We turned the ball over, on downs, AFTER drives of 58, 49, 67, and 56 yards. With two inside the 10, one inside the 20 and one about the 30. That was on our young OLine mostly.
Yes. CIT’s TOP was about the same as the prior year. Actually a bit higher, but scoring was down about 5 ppg. I think, also, there was a good bit of fall-off on D for CIT last year as well. CIT’S Opponents’ scoring increased about 6 ppg and, remember, didn’t have the ball any more time. That’s an 11 ppg net swing from the prior year. Hard to defend a title with that sort of delta.

OL struggled, yes, but D was also not nearly as formidable as it had been in the prior 2 years. I think a lot of leadership on D ‘left the building’ after that 2016 season; quite a few after 2015 also, but enough of a nucleus remained to carry over to 2016. That must be developed/replaced this year, as well as significant OL improvement, if the bellhops are going to compete for the SoCon Championship in 2018.

ElCid
June 26th, 2018, 08:34 AM

Here are some numbers to consider. I sorted it by Yards per point, high to low. (Wof, Sam, and Fur obviously have many more yards since they were in playoffs. Still I averaged the yards per point for entire season...just to see it. TOP advantage doesn't seem to mean too much it seems. (X:XX) means negative. We have teams all over with records all over. Balance doesn't seem to matter either. We have examples of nicely balanced teams doing bad (VMI, UTC, ETSU). And slightly unbalanced Samford with really bad TOP! Yet they go 8-4 and make the playoffs. I say slightly unbalanced. They are more unbalanced than the stat shows since their running game was still atrocious. WCU fairly balance, seriously bad TOP and they did OK just missing the playoffs. Chatty and ETSU were balanced and with slightly positive TOP, and they ended up with losing records. The Citadel had ridiculously impressive TOP, but way unbalanced and ended with losing record.

I am sure I could discover some meaningful correlations, but I have to go paint before my wife gets home.

team
pts
yds
yds/point
TOP Advan
Run
Pass
Rec

VMI
(6:20)
0-11

Cid
8:38
5-6

Chatty
0:26
3-8

Sam
(3:56)
8-4

ETSU
1:02
4-7

WCU
(4:12)
7-5

Mer
0:06
5-6

Wof
1:20
10-3

Fur
0:18
8-5

Note I will say I did not break out any defensive scores so points isn't exactly indicative of Offense power only. That was too deep to go this morning. But it will be at least close.

Smitty
June 26th, 2018, 10:24 AM
WCU fairly balance, seriously bad TOP and they did OK just missing the playoffs.

Yeah WCU couldn't get off the field on defense and when the offense was on we either scored quickly on a big play or fizzled after 3 downs.

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Yeah WCU couldn't get off the field on defense and when the offense was on we either scored quickly on a big play or fizzled after 3 downs.

Stats like TOP and yards are misleading, in my opinion.

The goal of the game is to score more than the other team. I don't care how many yards you put up inside the 20s or how long you keep it.

They are a measure of offensive success, but not nearly as critical as metrics that record how many times your offense is scoring.

SCPALADIN
June 26th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Back to VMI football for a second...
I thought I read somewhere that they had a percentage minimum that they had to maintain for scholarship players from the state of Virginia.

ElCid
June 26th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Back to VMI football for a second...
I thought I read somewhere that they had a percentage minimum that they had to maintain for scholarship players from the state of Virginia.

I remember hearing that as well but don't know if true or the details.

ElCid
June 26th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Stats like TOP and yards are misleading, in my opinion.

The goal of the game is to score more than the other team. I don't care how many yards you put up inside the 20s or how long you keep it.

They are a measure of offensive success, but not nearly as critical as metrics that record how many times your offense is scoring.

I don't necessarily disagree, but they are data points for a big picture of how success might be occurring.

Sandlapper Spike
June 26th, 2018, 07:39 PM
Maybe yes, maybe no.

I've compiled the numbers in conference play (haven't posted them yet). Let's just say finishing drives was a major issue, if not the major issue, for The Citadel in 2017.

The red zone numbers were atrocious, and that is reflected in the stats once inside the 40 (i.e. the "scoring area"). If the Bulldogs had been as efficient on offense inside the 40 last season as they were in 2016, they would have scored about eight more points per game. On defense, the "points prevented" number would have been around 4 points. The total, thus, would have been just over 12 points.

That's a huge differential. You could argue it may have been the difference between winning and losing in two or three games, though obviously dealing in "coulda/woulda" assertions with these types of statistics can be a dubious proposition even in the clearest of circumstances.

ElCid
June 26th, 2018, 11:38 PM
I've compiled the numbers in conference play (haven't posted them yet). Let's just say finishing drives was a major issue, if not the major issue, for The Citadel in 2017.

The red zone numbers were atrocious, and that is reflected in the stats once inside the 40 (i.e. the "scoring area"). If the Bulldogs had been as efficient on offense inside the 40 last season as they were in 2016, they would have scored about eight more points per game. On defense, the "points prevented" number would have been around 4 points. The total, thus, would have been just over 12 points.

That's a huge differential. You could argue it may have been the difference between winning and losing in two or three games, though obviously dealing in "coulda/woulda" assertions with these types of statistics can be a dubious proposition even in the clearest of circumstances.

Sure hope we can do better at finishing drives this season. Also, obviously need to keep the three and outs low to keep our youngish defense rested. I guess it wasn't too bad this past year. We had just under 25% of our drives, which were not running out a half, that were standard three and outs. Room for improvement there. We had 128 total drives. About 35% of our total drives, again which were not running out a half, that were either three and out, less than 10 yards total with 4 or more plays, or less than four plays with a turnover even though we may have gained some good yards before the turnover.

We still had the best TOP in all of FCS so the O did their job in that regard. They just ran out of gas before a score. About 1 in 4 drives, which passed the opponent 40, ended totally scoreless. And as you said, the actual red zone stat was atrocious. Dead last in the SOCON at 25 for 41 or 61%! (that was good for 119 out 123 in FCS...uhg). That is disheartening. And that included 10 trips inside the 10 yard line where we got 0 points. Most of those were against Mercer, Samford and WCU. The OLine will again be in the forefront as I think we got a good stable of talented backs. I also feel comfortable with Black at the helm. Very interested to see his passing progression. We also had too many chip hot FGs missed, not that that would have had a huge impact last year, but we better improve there as well. Is it August yet?

Milktruck74
June 27th, 2018, 08:50 AM

Samford: 38%

One thing this doesn't capture is the efficiency of the plays. I know my stats are off, but you'll get the jest.... A few years back when Wofford was running Eric B. (just "B" because I'll butcher the spelling), up the middle, to the left and to the right 90% of their plays, the QB had like 13 completions on 17 pass attempts with like 9 over 40 yards and 6 TDs...So as our Bulldog friend has stated, balance isn't all it is cracked up to be.

SU DOG
June 27th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Strong warnings from Macon about the Mercer Bears.

https://www.macon.com/sports/college/mercer-university/article213838284.html

PaladinFan
June 27th, 2018, 11:00 AM

Daniel Shirley is usually very bullish on the Bears. The article is very light on the "why" and concedes that he's basically made the same prognostication for the past several years.

As far as the team, I think Mercer has plenty of talent and should be good this year. As I sit here in June, am I ready to put them above Samford, Wofford, Furman, or WCU? No.

ElCid
June 27th, 2018, 11:00 AM

Eh. The Telegraph is just trying to drum up attendance numbers for them.xnodx

SU DOG
June 27th, 2018, 11:51 AM
STATS article on Devlin Hodges.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20180627102646897454904

SU DOG
June 27th, 2018, 12:37 PM
The Citadel Preview:

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2018-preseason-preview-the-citadel-ajaj

PaladinFan
June 27th, 2018, 12:48 PM
STATS article on Devlin Hodges.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20180627102646897454904

His race against the record books will be interesting to watch, but it also reminds me how glad I am no longer to see Armanti Edwards.

I'm not sure I would call Hodges a "dual threat" QB. He had 155 total rushing yards last year. In fact, I think 1/3 of those yards (51) came against D2 West Alabama. If anything, Samford wants Hodges taking as few hits as possible.

How are Samford fans going to feel if Hodges goes down with an injury late in a lopsided game playing only for the record books? As I've noted before, it does not appear as though Hatcher has any intention of substituting him against anyone.

FUBeAR
June 27th, 2018, 12:58 PM
The Citadel Preview:

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2018-preseason-preview-the-citadel-ajajApparently HERO Sports has made the editorial decision that there is no “The” required when referring to the name of the school for which the bellhops play.

Seems their Head Coach may have come to the same decision...

THE QUOTE: "We have to get our edge back. We've gotta have a little juice to us. We need to celebrate the wins, regain ourselves after the losses, and get out here and compete with one another. It's about fundamentals for the next month. We've got to get more guys on the ground on defense and on offense get back to physical, smash mouth Citadel football." -- Head Coach Brent Thompson

Original Source of “The Quote,” citadelsports.com (no The in their URL neither, btw)

http://citadelsports.com/news/2018/2/9/football-bulldogs-open-spring-practice.aspx?path=football (http://citadelsports.com/news/2018/2/9/football-bulldogs-open-spring-practice.aspx?path=football)

PaladinFan
June 27th, 2018, 03:30 PM
Apparently HERO Sports has made the editorial decision that there is no “The” required when referring to the name of the school for which the bellhops play.

THE QUOTE: "We have to get our edge back. We've gotta have a little juice to us. We need to celebrate the wins, regain ourselves after the losses, and get out here and compete with one another. It's about fundamentals for the next month. We've got to get more guys on the ground on defense and on offense get back to physical, smash mouth Citadel football." -- Head Coach Brent Thompson

Original Source of “The Quote,” citadelsports.com (no The in their URL neither, btw)

http://citadelsports.com/news/2018/2/9/football-bulldogs-open-spring-practice.aspx?path=football (http://citadelsports.com/news/2018/2/9/football-bulldogs-open-spring-practice.aspx?path=football)

Citdog was about the only Citadel poster that demanded the "THE"

ElCid
June 27th, 2018, 03:30 PM
Apparently HERO Sports has made the editorial decision that there is no “The” required when referring to the name of the school for which the bellhops play.

Now now. There are times when a grammatically correct sentence makes the use of The not appropriate. When it is awkward, it is totally acceptable to not use the The.

Sandlapper Spike
June 27th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Citdog was about the only Citadel poster that demanded the "THE"

I don't think it is too much to ask for people to consistently refer to the school as "The Citadel" (obvious occasional sentence structure issues aside). It isn't like we're demanding you call the school "The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina", which is technically its full name.

When someone asks me where I went to college, I answer "The Citadel". I don't say "Citadel".

FUBeAR
June 27th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Now now. There are times when a grammatically correct sentence makes the use of The not appropriate. When it is awkward, it is totally acceptable to not use the The.

Ahhhh...I get it now. So, both...

“F$*# The Citadel” & “Citadel Sux” would be proper because of grammar, sentence structure, and alliterative qualities.

Right?

:D xpeacex

cx500d
June 27th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Ahhhh...I get it now. So, both...

“F$*# The Citadel” & “THE Citadel Sux” would be proper because of grammar, sentence structure, and alliterative qualities.

Right?

:D xpeacex

Fyp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
June 28th, 2018, 06:54 AM
I don't think it is too much to ask for people to consistently refer to the school as "The Citadel" (obvious occasional sentence structure issues aside). It isn't like we're demanding you call the school "The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina", which is technically its full name.

When someone asks me where I went to college, I answer "The Citadel". I don't say "Citadel".

I try to abide, but I do agree having joint articles together in a sentence is difficult.

I would be interested to know if the university has a style guide that hammers out what the appropriate use would be.

kdinva
June 28th, 2018, 08:53 AM
While we're on the subject of grammar, what ticks me off is reading a news article, and the author, in the same paragraph, references "VMI"; then says: "Virginia Military Academy"..........xdrunkyx xsmhx

SU DOG
June 28th, 2018, 11:41 AM
It's SAM not STAN. xlolx

FUBeAR
June 28th, 2018, 12:00 PM
It's SAM not STAN. xlolx
Thought it was SAM. (SAMdot) No?

Smitty
June 28th, 2018, 02:40 PM

I normally say Western Carolina, until I have to break it down to Western Carolina University, yes there is a college out there, yes the western part of the state, no not really close to App

PaladinFan
June 28th, 2018, 03:08 PM
I normally say Western Carolina, until I have to break it down to Western Carolina University, yes there is a college out there, yes the western part of the state, no not really close to App

Every now and then there will be a commit to the "University of Furman."

FUBeAR
June 28th, 2018, 03:19 PM
My older brother used to love to tell people (in front of me) that his ‘little’ brother played football at Ferrum, which, at the time, I think, was a Prep School or maybe a JUCO with a pretty good football program in VA. I think it’s now a 4 year D3 school, but definitely NOT Furman.

Hey...maybe we should start a “FURM, not FERR” or “FURM.” marketing program...nah.

ElCid
June 28th, 2018, 03:21 PM

You mean the University of The Furman.

Milktruck74
June 28th, 2018, 04:32 PM

To which you can reply FU.

Milktruck74
June 28th, 2018, 04:35 PM
I did happen to see a guy this afternoon in the Kroger parking lot with black socks and Keen sandals. I notice the purple FU sticker on his car...that told me all I needed to know.

FUBeAR
June 28th, 2018, 05:40 PM
I did happen to see a guy this afternoon in the Kroger parking lot with black socks and Keen sandals. I notice the purple FU sticker on his car...that told me all I needed to know.
Hold on there MT, when it comes to Identity Issues, no school in the SoCon has less room to talk than y’all. You guys can’t even figure out what the name of your school is NOR the mascot.

Chattanooga |Tennessee Chattanooga | THE University of Tennessee at Chattanooga | UTC | Mocs | Native Americans | Snakes | Shoes | Train | Flaming T Torch | Mockingbird | Birds.

Did I miss any?

ElCid
June 28th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Hold on there MT, when it comes to Identity Issues, no school in the SoCon has less room to talk than y’all. You guys can’t even figure out what the name of your school is NOR the mascot.

Chattanooga |Tennessee Chattanooga | THE University of Tennessee at Chattanooga | UTC | Mocs | Native Americans | Snakes | Shoes | Train | Flaming T Torch | Mockingbird | Birds.

Did I miss any?

Yeah, the identity crisis thing always amused me.

longtimemocfan
June 29th, 2018, 05:47 PM

Did I miss any?

You pretty much got it covered. It can still be confusing, but last time I checked the mascot is a mockingbird bird (Which ironically enough is the state bird) As far as I know it's The Chattanooga Mocs. Mocs being that such said bird. I've always liked it being just Chattanooga so you can distance yourselve a little bit from big brother UTK. If you ever noticed ESPN'S bottom line always says Chattanooga. What's comical is you'll still hear some fans chant "UTC" near the conclusion of a big win. So their you go.

ElCid
June 29th, 2018, 06:20 PM
What's comical is you'll still hear some fans chant "UTC" near the conclusion of a big win. So their you go.

That's ok, our cheerleaders or sometimes the fans spontaneously, will start up a CI-TA-DEL chant. That, versus a THE-CI-TA-DEL, which doesn't flow nearly as well. LOL.

PaladinNation
June 29th, 2018, 08:06 PM
When it comes to chants by fans and students, Furman has it nailed…

Whether its, FU-FU-FU-FU- or FU one time, FU two times, FU three times, FU all the time.
Oddly we all chant the FU cheer, even my 85-year-old Furman theologian major graduate.

FUBeAR
June 29th, 2018, 08:09 PM
When it comes to chants by fans and students, Furman has it nailed…

Whether its, FU-FU-FU-FU- or FU one time, FU two times, FU three times, FU ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the time.
Oddly we all chant the FU cheer, even my 85-year-old Furman theologian major graduate.
FYP

SCPALADIN
June 30th, 2018, 08:35 AM
That's ok, our cheerleaders or sometimes the fans spontaneously, will start up a CI-TA-DEL chant. That, versus a THE-CI-TA-DEL, which doesn't flow nearly as well. LOL.

But are all of the cheerleaders actual students at The Citadel now? My wife was a cheerleader for The Citadel in the 90's but was a CofC student (I think Cit had 6 or 7 females those couple of years). I could see where the CofC girls could come up with all kinds of variations that weren't technically correct.

PaladinFan
June 30th, 2018, 05:33 PM
I wonder if Samford has focused grouped a "Sam"/"Dot" cheer with their fans yet.

SU DOG
June 30th, 2018, 06:09 PM
I wonder if Samford has focused grouped a "Sam"/"Dot" cheer with their fans yet.

Not yet. I heard we are waiting until after we beat Furman this year, and make it 4 of the last 5.

ElCid
June 30th, 2018, 07:23 PM
But are all of the cheerleaders actual students at The Citadel now? My wife was a cheerleader for The Citadel in the 90's but was a CofC student (I think Cit had 6 or 7 females those couple of years). I could see where the CofC girls could come up with all kinds of variations that weren't technically correct.

If I recall correctly, they went to all cadets at some point...for the gals. Not sure we even have any guys left. Then they back to whoever wanted to try out. Which is a bit better since some of those cadets gals were a bit beefy. Wouldn't want anyone to get hurt at the bottom of a pile that fell.:D

FUBeAR
June 30th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Not yet. I heard we are waiting until after we beat Furman this year, and make it 4 of the last 5.

FURMAN vs. SAMFORD
1997....... W......... 29-10.............. Birmingham
1998....... W......... 34-24...............GREENVILLE
2004....... W......... 45-10.............. Birmingham
2005....... W......... 45-23...............GREENVILLE
2008....... W......... 28-27.............. Birmingham
2009....... W......... 26-24...............GREENVILLE
2010....... W......... 27-10.............. Birmingham
2011........L ......... 21-26...............GREENVILLE
2012........ L ......... 21-24.............. Birmingham
2013....... W......... 35-17...............GREENVILLE
2014........L .......... 0-45................GREENVILLE
2015....... W......... 20-17.............. Birmingham
2016........L ......... 21-38...............GREENVILLE
2017........L...........20-26...............Birmingham

Hey, you’re right. Looks like Samford has FINALLY become competitive with Furman, but I just figured out something...what the DOT means.

It’s an homage to the number of FCS Playoff Wins for SAM since they joined the SoCon; compared to, about 20 of those wins for the Paladins. No worries SU DOG, the HomewoodHounds may, eventually, get to sit at the FCS Adult Table...maybe.

SU DOG
June 30th, 2018, 09:19 PM
Good gravey 1997? Why not just go back to the very first game in 1961 and give the all-time record, which is 10-10. Just to clarify, however, Furman does not have 20 playoff wins since we joined the SoCon in 2008 as one might mistakenly ascertain from your gibberish. Hey, there is no disrespect here for Furman's terrific history, just some new found pride in what we have finally been able to do, and hope that we might reach that next level like we did in the early 90s. Why do SoCon fans seem to exhibit so much animosity between each other? I didn't fire that first shot you know. :)

PaladinFan
June 30th, 2018, 09:36 PM
Good gravey 1997? Why not just go back to the very first game in 1961 and give the all-time record, which is 10-10. Just to clarify, however, Furman does not have 20 playoff wins since we joined the SoCon in 2008 as one might mistakenly ascertain from your gibberish. Hey, there is no disrespect here for Furman's terrific history, just some new found pride in what we have finally been able to do, and hope that we might reach that next level like we did in the early 90s. Why do SoCon fans seem to exhibit so much animosity between each other? I didn't fire that first shot you know. :)

Hey, I'm not the one that came up with "Sam." I just suggested they create a cheer to embrace their new branding strategy.

SU DOG
June 30th, 2018, 09:48 PM
That marketing strategy isn't very popular with a lot of us. But, if you insist - on short notice:

"Aracka Aracka Horse
Aracka Aracka Cow
Aracka Aracka SAM.
BOW WOW WOW"!!!

FUBeAR
June 30th, 2018, 10:23 PM
Just to clarify, however, Furman does not have 20 playoff wins since we joined the SoCon in 2008 as one might...ascertain from your gibberish.

Why do SoCon fans seem to exhibit so much animosity between each other?

I didn't fire that first shot you know. :)

Apparently 100% accurate statements = “gibberish” over in Alabamia. If you incorrectly “ascertained” the statement, that I did not make, that you have attempted to clarify; that’s a result of your own reading comprehension. To correctly clarify what I previously, correctly stated...as members of the SoCon, Furman has about 20 FCS Playoff victories (19 to be precise) and Samford has 0.

I heard we are waiting until after we beat Furman this year, and make it 4 of the last 5.
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/images/sumter1.jpg
While such things tend to be more bellhoppish in nature, I’d say you ARE, in fact, holding the smoking gun with that comment directly above.

Animosity comes from the Latin word, “animus,” which means “spirit.”...as in the phrase, “school spirit.” If you ain’t got that, what you got?

https://i.gifer.com/HSWt.gif

SU DOG
June 30th, 2018, 10:33 PM
You have something for gay cheerleaders?

FUBeAR
June 30th, 2018, 10:46 PM
That marketing strategy isn't very popular with a lot of us. But, if you insist - on short notice:

"Aracka Aracka Horse
Aracka Aracka Cow
Aracka Aracka SAM.
BOW WOW WOW"!!!

Nah...How about 1 side of the stadium all loudly roars “SAM” in unison & then the other side responds with a big “DOT” roar?

Wait...

Opponent Att.
KENNESAW STATE 4908
WEST ALABAMA. 4509
THE CITADEL 9233
CHATTANOOGA 3523
ETSU 5178
FURMAN 4673

...nevermind.

FUBeAR
June 30th, 2018, 10:54 PM
You have something for gay cheerleaders?What?

That’s a video of the FEMALE cadet Bellhop Cheerleaders that El Cid referenced in an earlier post. They could be gay, I guess. They did go to THE Citadel.

SU DOG
June 30th, 2018, 11:00 PM
xlolx All in fun FUB - we just need the season to get here.

FUBeAR
June 30th, 2018, 11:57 PM
xlolx All in fun FUB - we just need the season to get here.YES -
BEAT THE https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/11/ff/07/4b/sweet-potato-spotted.jpgs!!!

(see - there’s some SoCon love for you)

Milktruck74
July 4th, 2018, 04:38 AM
Terrell Owens snubs Canton and decides to give his acceptance speech on campus at Chattanooga...... I realize this is retaliation for not being a first ballot, and say what you want, but his stats make him a first ballot..... Few thoughts on this:

1. This is a first. TO likes to do thing his own way and by not showing up for his induction, he is doing it his own way.

2. Will this become a trend? The Hall and the NFL make a pretty penny off the entire week of events, so if inductees decided to do their own thing, they will lose money and thats what it is all about!!!!

3. Can Chattanooga (School and City) capitalize on this? or will they like too many other opportunities, let it slip away un tapped?

4. When TO was in the league, he kinda snubbed Chattanooga...there were a few articles/interviews where he spoke his mind and it wasn't too favorable. However, over the last few years, he has really embraced the City and the School and started to give back and invest time in the football program. I'm glad to see him mend those fences and in a big way. In his announcement he clearly states that he is PROUD TO BE A MOC.

PaladinFan
July 4th, 2018, 07:11 AM
Terrell Owens snubs Canton and decides to give his acceptance speech on campus at Chattanooga...... I realize this is retaliation for not being a first ballot, and say what you want, but his stats make him a first ballot..... Few thoughts on this:

1. This is a first. TO likes to do thing his own way and by not showing up for his induction, he is doing it his own way.

2. Will this become a trend? The Hall and the NFL make a pretty penny off the entire week of events, so if inductees decided to do their own thing, they will lose money and thats what it is all about!!!!

3. Can Chattanooga (School and City) capitalize on this? or will they like too many other opportunities, let it slip away un tapped?

4. When TO was in the league, he kinda snubbed Chattanooga...there were a few articles/interviews where he spoke his mind and it wasn't too favorable. However, over the last few years, he has really embraced the City and the School and started to give back and invest time in the football program. I'm glad to see him mend those fences and in a big way. In his announcement he clearly states that he is PROUD TO BE A MOC.

Sounds like just by agreeing to host the announcement at McKenzie, UTC is doing their part to embrace it. Should be a really strong opportunity to market the school and FCS football.

Granted, I've never watched a Pro Football HOF induction ceremony.

Milktruck74
July 4th, 2018, 03:16 PM
Sounds like just by agreeing to host the announcement at McKenzie, UTC is doing their part to embrace it. Should be a really strong opportunity to market the school and FCS football.

Granted, I've never watched a Pro Football HOF induction ceremony.

I heard from someone in the athletic dept (not speaking FOR the AD...haha) that they are really going to try and push this, as they should. Sadly, classes are out for summer, but I still think they could see big numbers from the community.... they could plan on 500 and see 5000 or plan for 3000 and see 300???? Who knows? Just glad I'm not trying to factor logistics for this one!!!!

PaladinFan
July 5th, 2018, 04:47 AM
I heard from someone in the athletic dept (not speaking FOR the AD...haha) that they are really going to try and push this, as they should. Sadly, classes are out for summer, but I still think they could see big numbers from the community.... they could plan on 500 and see 5000 or plan for 3000 and see 300???? Who knows? Just glad I'm not trying to factor logistics for this one!!!!

Chattanooga also isn’t that far from Owen’s hometown in Alabama. I’d expect some “folks back home” as well.

FUBeAR
July 6th, 2018, 11:13 PM
As some funk/pop/dance song lyric, which I can’t quite place, & it’s driving me crazy, says...

”1 and 2 and you know what to do”...

POINT/COUNTERPOINT: Which Conference is Better Positioned for 2018 -- SoCon or Big Sky?

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2018-debate-big-sky-southern-conference-cici

(HINT: click the link above & vote SoCon - if, you, like me, are tired of seeing the BIG Lie Conference get 10 of their 42 Teams in the Playoffs every year & all of them losing to non-scholarship Teams in the 1st round.)

#MSCGA

PaladinFan
July 9th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Furman announces two Air Force Prep transfers (http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2018-19/releases/20180709jwnklk)

I'm not entirely sure what happened to the two prior announced transfers, but it looks like both men will come in with 4 years of eligibility remaining.

They do fill perhaps the only two positions on Furman's roster that will be hit hardest by graduation after this season. Furman has only 11 seniors, but four of them play CB or FB.

Sandlapper Spike
July 9th, 2018, 05:53 PM
The SoCon will not have a media day event for football this year. Instead there will be pre-recorded interviews and the standard release of the preseason all-conference teams (on July 25).

I don't know the last time the conference didn't have a media day for football. This may be a first in the modern history of the league.

PaladinFan
July 10th, 2018, 03:50 AM
The SoCon will not have a media day event for football this year. Instead there will be pre-recorded interviews and the standard release of the preseason all-conference teams (on July 25).

I don't know the last time the conference didn't have a media day for football. This may be a first in the modern history of the league.

As one both witnessing and being affected by the national reshuffling of newsrooms, I might wonder if there is any media left to cover the media day. Many papers have scuttled much of their local sports coverage.

Milktruck74
July 10th, 2018, 06:21 AM
As one both witnessing and being affected by the national reshuffling of newsrooms, I might wonder if there is any media left to cover the media day. Many papers have scuttled much of their local sports coverage.

I had a very similar thought.... My first inclination was, "Damn, the SoCon is trying to save money at all cost, and cutting out Media Days would do that." Then I thought about the coast tot he schools for sending 2 coaches, two players an AD and an SID to Media Days.... Then I Thought about he cost to the local news affiliates for sending a reporter. And with streaming video and recordings, and emailing questions to coaches/SIDs....do we really need a Live Media Day? Most local affiliates in our level really only care about their home team anyway... the P5 conferences are always going to have a big production Media Day or Days, but maybe the SoCon is starting a trend for FCS and G5 schools????? I know there are some publishers that appreciate not having to spend a few hundred dollars, and a few beat writers that appreciate sleeping in their own beds!!!

FUBeAR
July 10th, 2018, 06:36 AM
I had a very similar thought.... My first inclination was, "Damn, the SoCon is trying to save money at all cost, and cutting out Media Days would do that." Then I thought about the coast tot he schools for sending 2 coaches, two players an AD and an SID to Media Days.... Then I Thought about he cost to the local news affiliates for sending a reporter. And with streaming video and recordings, and emailing questions to coaches/SIDs....do we really need a Live Media Day? Most local affiliates in our level really only care about their home team anyway... the P5 conferences are always going to have a big production Media Day or Days, but maybe the SoCon is starting a trend for FCS and G5 schools????? I know there are some publishers that appreciate not having to spend a few hundred dollars, and a few beat writers that appreciate sleeping in their own beds!!!

All true. If no one wants to have a media day, then they shouldn’t have it.

If, on the other hand, it’s primarily a cost savings measure, then I wonder if they have thought/acted creatively enough to generate funding, maybe even a profit, from the “SoCon Adidas Media Day brought to you by Beacon Drive-In” or similar. With the content that can/will be generated from this type of event, I would imagine a fair number of “impressions” could be realized for an Event sponsor or sponsors. Just always believe that if ‘price’ is the issue, you just haven’t thought about it creatively enough. Where there is a will there’s a way. Where’s there’s no will (as may be the case here), there’s no way.

BTW - the Panthers deal just closed. Just assign someone to follow Jerry Richardson around and pick up The Benjamins that are falling out of his pockets. SoCon Media Day will be paid for before lunchtime!

PaladinFan
July 10th, 2018, 06:54 AM

The best Furman coverage right now is coming from Scott Keeler, a former writer from the Greenville News turned freelance writer. The second best Furman coverage is probably our forum.

The Greenville News has to go with what sells, and what sells is Clemson. In fact, one of their leading beat writers, Manie Robinson, is a Furman grad. They just have little other option than to cover "all things Clemson."

FUBeAR
July 10th, 2018, 07:07 AM
The best Furman coverage right now is coming from Scott Keeler, a former writer from the Greenville News turned freelance writer. The second best Furman coverage is probably our forum.

The Greenville News has to go with what sells, and what sells is Clemson. In fact, one of their leading beat writers, Manie Robinson, is a Furman grad. They just have little other option than to cover "all things Clemson."
So...maybe Clemson’s Grad Schools, who are seeking to attract students from the the geographic footprint of the SoCon AND to sell research/partnerships to businesses in roughly that same footprint, would be a great SoCon Media Day sponsor.

As Coach Caldwell (speaking of Clemson) always says...”Always be thinkin’...”

FUBeAR
July 10th, 2018, 03:17 PM
Roughly, SoCon-related & since someone recently mentioned Jerry Richardson, I thought this might be of interest to SoCon Fans. Kind of funny & kind of sad from several different perspectives.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article214614785.html

Actually, one directly related SoCon point. If I’m reading this right, it seems Mr. Tepper plans to build dedicated Practice Facilities for the Panthers; so their stint at Wofford appears to be drawing to a close.

Sandlapper Spike
July 10th, 2018, 09:01 PM
Not having a Media Day means that there won't be any reporters asking John Iamarino which schools are adding replay review capabilties this season...

Rowdy
July 11th, 2018, 09:43 AM
Roughly, SoCon-related & since someone recently mentioned Jerry Richardson, I thought this might be of interest to SoCon Fans. Kind of funny & kind of sad from several different perspectives.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article214614785.html

Actually, one directly related SoCon point. If I’m reading this right, it seems Mr. Tepper plans to build dedicated Practice Facilities for the Panthers; so their stint at Wofford appears to be drawing to a close.

FUBeAR, the way I understood the article is Tepper plans to establish a training facility away from Bank Of America Stadium where the existing training grounds are located, and build one in South Carolina, probably in Fort Mill. He would then put that very valuable property to a more profitable use. The "camp" at wofford was not discussed but I have to think he will continue there for awhile. He has repeatedly stated that he values the NC/SC connection and wants to better foster it. On the negative side, more and more NFL teams are doing away with training camps and that doesn't bode well for future years.

FUBeAR
July 15th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Welp...the exodus of Long-tenured folks from Wofford Football continues...

https://spartanburgsportsradio.com/2018/07/15/a-message-from-mark-hauser/

Thought he was one of the best around. Yep, he was a hard-core ‘homer,’ but he actually did his homework on the Terriers’ opponents, understood the game, and presented the events occurring on the field in an insightful & entertaining way.

It will be interesting to note if his replacement has history and/or family ties with the new regime there. If so, would it be fair to observe that this is starting to seem more like a purge than the orderly transition one might see after a well-planned retirement of an exceptionally long-tenured & beloved leader?

sudog03
July 15th, 2018, 01:59 PM
I think you are about to see several SoCon teams not carry broadcast teams on the road and just use contract employees at a greatly reduced cost to broadcast home games on ESPN3. Hate to Hauser treated like that, even though he was a contract employee with IMG, doesn't sound right that no one with Wofford had reached out.

PaladinFan
July 15th, 2018, 04:28 PM

Thought he was one of the best around. Yep, he was a hard-core ‘homer,’ but he actually did his homework on the Terriers’ opponents, understood the game, and presented the events occurring on the field in an insightful & entertaining way.

It will be interesting to note if his replacement has history and/or family ties with the new regime there. If so, would it be fair to observe that this is starting to seem more like a purge than the orderly transition one might see after a well-planned retirement of an exceptionally long-tenured & beloved leader?

This all continues to be hard to believe.

cx500d
July 15th, 2018, 04:52 PM
As some funk/pop/dance song lyric, which I can’t quite place, & it’s driving me crazy, says...

”1 and 2 and you know what to do”...

POINT/COUNTERPOINT: Which Conference is Better Positioned for 2018 -- SoCon or Big Sky?

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2018-debate-big-sky-southern-conference-cici

(HINT: click the link above & vote SoCon - if, you, like me, are tired of seeing the BIG Lie Conference get 10 of their 42 Teams in the Playoffs every year & all of them losing to non-scholarship Teams in the 1st round.)

#MSCGA

East Tennessee state? Is that a thing?

kdinva
July 15th, 2018, 05:00 PM
I think you are about to see several SoCon teams not carry broadcast teams on the road ......

Hell, VMI's SID has been the #1 radio voice for over 29 years (he was the assistant SID when he was given the microphone.....), more proof VMI ain't throwin' around the $$$$

FUBeAR
July 15th, 2018, 05:44 PM
East Tennessee state? Is that a thing?Yep. Just became an ‘official’ SoCon Football Member in 2016 after re-booting Football in 2015. Bucs may have a breakout year this season with a new HC at the helm as they hired Florida State’s OC this off-season. If you want to take a look at ETSU, they’ll be squaring off against the Tennessee Vols on 9/8 @ 4 PM on the SEC Network. A couple of facts about those MountainPirates:

* They own a recent win (2016) over everyone’s new darlin’ - Kennesaw
* They also beat perennial near-Playoff-Team, WCU & Playoff-bound Samford, everyone’s other new darlin’, in 2016 - their 1st year in the SoCon.
* In 2017, they beat Mercer the week after Mercer almost took down, SEC West Champion, Auburn
* They also took SoCon Champion, Wofford, to the wire in 2017 - http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400951363
* They have NEVER lost a Playoff game to a Non-Scholarship Team

With their continued rise, the SoCon truly is 8 (of 9) Teams DEEP. Honestly, I would only truly be surprised if VMI were the SoCon Champion in 2018. All of the other 8 SoCon Teams all have a shot at the Title & are potential Playoff Teams.

cx500d
July 15th, 2018, 05:52 PM
Yep. Just became an ‘official’ SoCon Football Member in 2016 after re-booting Football in 2015. Bucs may have a breakout year this season with a new HC at the helm as they hired Florida State’s OC this off-season. If you want to take a look at ETSU, they’ll be squaring off against the Tennessee Vols on 9/8 @ 4 PM on the SEC Network. A couple of facts about those MountainPirates:

* They own a recent win (2016) over everyone’s new darlin’ - Kennesaw
* They also beat perennial near-Playoff-Team, WCU & Playoff-bound Samford, everyone’s other new darlin’, in 2016 - their 1st year in the SoCon.
* In 2017, they beat Mercer the week after Mercer almost took down, SEC West Champion, Auburn
* They also took SoCon Champion, Wofford, to the wire in 2017 - http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400951363
* They have NEVER lost a Playoff game to a Non-Scholarship Team

With their continued rise, the SoCon truly is 8 (of 9) Teams DEEP. Honestly, I would only truly be surprised if VMI were the SoCon Champion in 2018. All of the other 8 SoCon Teams all have a shot at the Title & are potential Playoff Teams.

xbowx

SU DOG
July 15th, 2018, 07:15 PM

I sure hate to hear this. FUB - BINGO - Hauser was good, really good. He was always up to date on every opponent's personnel and I loved listening to him on the Inside Wofford Football video recaps. IMO, Wofford should have found some way to manage to keep this guy.

FUBeAR
July 16th, 2018, 08:23 PM
This all continues to be hard to believe.Wow...it’s really worse than I had imagined.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20180716/wofford-voice-mark-hauser-steps-down

Perhaps we should find out how much of an increase Mr. Hauser is seeking, then set up a GoFundMe to raise that amount, but here’s the fun part...we don’t accept contributions from anyone with Wofford ties. Call their bluff (I have a hunch it’s a bluff) and try to bring him back with ‘dirty money’ generously donated by Woffy’s SoCon rivals & not a penny from Wofford sources.

My bet is they won’t take the deal & we’ll see/hear someone with ‘better insider connections’ in the booth for the PorchYappers going forward.

Who wants to get that going? I wish citdog was around. He seemed just evil enough to Champion this kind of really futile and stupid gesture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h4DZeBleLs

PaladinFan
July 16th, 2018, 09:19 PM
I don't want to be sensationalist, but I'm seeing what appear to be quite a few canaries in the coal mine.

SU DOG
July 16th, 2018, 09:37 PM
In trolling the Wofford Board, I see some of the same names as I used to see here on AGS. Like you, I am puzzled by the current lack of Wofford input here.

PaladinFan
July 17th, 2018, 04:45 AM
In trolling the Wofford Board, I see some of the same names as I used to see here on AGS. Like you, I am puzzled by the current lack of Wofford input here.

Agreed. Maybe they'll show back up at kickoff.

walliver
July 17th, 2018, 06:42 PM
I usually lay low between spring practice and the start of the season.

Wofford as usual has no FBS transfers.

We will continue to run the a variation of the Nate Woody defense.

Our base offense will be the same but the pass option has been added.

We lost our play-by-play guy, so our broadcast commentary will now be as bad as everybody else's in the SoCon.

Josh Conklin will never be Mike Ayers, but should bring fresh blood and enthusiasm to the program. I anticipate the Terriers tp still be playing after Thanksgiving.

I will be visiting the board periodically, but won't really get involved much until mid-August. This time of year people are just repeating the same old nonsense.

FUGameBreaker
July 17th, 2018, 08:20 PM

We lost our play-by-play guy, so our broadcast commentary will now be as bad as everybody else's in the SoCon.

Josh Conklin will never be Mike Ayers, but should bring fresh blood and enthusiasm to the program. I anticipate the Terriers tp still be playing after Thanksgiving.

I will be visiting the board periodically, but won't really get involved much until mid-August. This time of year people are just repeating the same old nonsense.

@ Wyoming
@ Gardner Webb
vs. Presbyterian

Is that really the best OOC schedule and "money" game you guys could put together this year? What gives?

FUBeAR
July 17th, 2018, 11:09 PM

Just for clarity, Wofford does have at least 1 FBS Transfer on the Roster: https://athletics.wofford.edu/roster.aspx?rp_id=5134

...but, maybe you just canceled him out since 1 also followed Wofford’s Former Defensive Coaching Staff & transferred in the other direction: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/malik_rivera_1070979.html

PaladinFan
July 18th, 2018, 04:43 AM

While I appreciate Hauser, I think Furman’s play by play guy, Dan Scott, is fantastic behind the mic.

SCPALADIN
July 18th, 2018, 07:56 AM

...speaking of nonsense.

PaladinFan
July 18th, 2018, 08:07 AM
Interested to see how/if Wofford intends to open up the passing game.

Is Joe Newman the likely starter or is he most likely to be used as a change-of-pace backup while another gets most of the snaps?

PaladinFan
July 18th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Just a programming note.

Furman's Kealand Dirks, an All SoCon selection last season at RB, listed this year at 6'0 250. The really easy comp when you see a Furman running back that big is this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqi9JKzKWzs

Dirks has loads of potential. He had a bit of an on-again/off-again start to his career in Greenville, but really started to thrive under Coach Hendrix and as a complement to Antonio Wilcox.

Like Felton, he's a big runner with great balance who demonstrates lateral quickness, a strong burst, as well as the ability to lower the boom.

He's one of those guys to watch this season.

FUBeAR
July 18th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Just a programming note.

Furman's Kealand Dirks, an All SoCon selection last season at RB, listed this year at 6'0 250. The really easy comp when you see a Furman running back that big is this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqi9JKzKWzs

Dirks has loads of potential. He had a bit of an on-again/off-again start to his career in Greenville, but really started to thrive under Coach Hendrix and as a complement to Antonio Wilcox.

Like Felton, he's a big runner with great balance who demonstrates lateral quickness, a strong burst, as well as the ability to lower the boom.

He's one of those guys to watch this season.That clip is (or should be) the SoCon/FCS version of the famous UGa/UTenn clip of Herschel Walker vs. Bill Bates with Furman’s NFL Draftee & 8 year veteran, Jerome Felton, playing the role of Herschel & Appy’s NFL Draftee & 6 year veteran, Corey Lynch, standing in for Bates.

Well, I guess ‘standing in’ is not a very good word choice there, is it? How about “getting flattened” in? Non-SoCon Fans may remember Lynch (#47) from another bit part he had...

http://www.appfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/hero.jpg

BACK ON TOPIC: Dirks ceiling this year is as high as he wants it to be & as high as Furman’s Offensive Staff will allow it to be.

PaladinFan
July 18th, 2018, 12:51 PM
With Dirks, I'm also interested to see how he does behind a more experienced offensive line. Furman lost two very good interior OL from last season, but also return a bunch of experienced players who are now in their second year under the tutelage of Clay Hendrix, et al.

If that offensive line picks up where they left off last season and continues to improve, Dirks is going to be one tough hombre to deal with.

While I do not know what changes, if any, new OC George Quarles will make to the offense, I expect Furman will also need to find a good backup RB as well. Furman was at their most effective last season when Dirks and Wilcox were able to occupy the interior of the defense with a constant barrage of inside runs setting up Furman's play action passing game.

In that regard, guys like Deon Sanders (6'0 224), Carson Maples (5'11 240) and Ridge Gibson (5'11 223) could be key contributors. If a healthy Sanders is as good as I think he might be, Furman is going to punish some teams between the tackles.

FUBeAR
July 18th, 2018, 05:33 PM
So...HERO Sports says Mercer will (they said something like “will”; I read it as “will”) win 8 games in a “breakout year.”

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2018-preseason-preview-mercer-ajaj (https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2018-preseason-preview-mercer-ajaj)

I’m assuming that projection includes an expected FBS loss to a ranked Memphis Team and a win over the PFL’s JaxU. So, what do you think...6-2 in the SoCon with a win over Yale or 7-1 in the SoCon with a loss to Yale?

Who is the 1...or maybe it’s 2, SoCon Teams that top(s) Mercer?

https://cdn.herosports.com/upload/post/manual/07_18/17/Mercer-Defense-Against-Alabama-1531850880.jpeg
Edited to add caption...”Overmatched FSC Players Shrink from Fear while facing FBS Champion, ALABAMA”

(BTW - #34 has been Bama's leading rusher for the past 2 seasons and he was a fairly highly recruited Prospect..."The top-ranked running back in the nation by Rivals.com, Prepstar and the 247Composite ... a five-star prospect by Rivals.com"

ElCid
July 18th, 2018, 05:38 PM
So...HERO Sports says Mercer will (they said something like “will”; I read it as “will”) win 8 games this year.

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2018-preseason-preview-mercer-ajaj

I’m assuming that projection includes an expected FBS loss to a ranked Memphis Team and a win over the PFL’s JaxU. So, what do you think...6-2 in the SoCon with a win over Yale or 7-1 in the SoCon with a loss to Yale?

https://cdn.herosports.com/upload/post/manual/07_18/17/Mercer-Defense-Against-Alabama-1531850880.jpeg

So who "may" beat Mercer? In no particular order.....

Furman
Samford
The Citadel
Wofford
UTC
WCU
ETSU....................

Can't bring myself to say VMI.

FUBeAR
July 18th, 2018, 05:39 PM
So who "may" beat Mercer? In no particular order.....

Furman
Samford
The Citadel
Wofford
UTC
WCU
ETSU....................

Can't bring myself to say VMI.I believe you miscounted.

ElCid
July 18th, 2018, 06:24 PM
I believe you miscounted.

All tied for #1.

SU DOG
July 18th, 2018, 07:48 PM
Hmmm. I searched that same publication and found 3 SoCon teams ranked in their preseason top 25, Also checked out the ORV, and couldn't find Mercer anywhere. Must have been a terrible oversight.

PaladinFan
July 18th, 2018, 08:01 PM
General thoughts on Mercer.

1. They are a talented team. They won’t be sneaking up on anyone this year.

2. I think they are going to miss Curtis and Ward perhaps more than most realize. I think Mercer quietly had the second best recieving corps in the league last year behind Samford. They’ll need some guys to step up.

3. I’ve followed Bobby Lamb’s entire head coaching career. His teams are good for one or two complete head scratchers every season. They will look great at times and at times will leave you wondering what it was you just watched.

4. From my experience, “sophomore slumps” are a thing and the Bears have to do everything to ensure Riley avoids one.

5. Long term, I can see them sliding into third place behind Samford and Furman and pushing for a playoff bid. I can also see them sitting at .500 again.

6. I said it earlier, but there’s a huge game in week 3 with Samford and Mercer in Birmingham. That game could well set the table for both programs.

FUBeAR
July 18th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Hmmm. I searched that same publication and found 3 SoCon teams ranked in their preseason top 25, Also checked out the ORV, and couldn't find Mercer anywhere. Must have been a terrible oversight.Apparently, they have revised their projections. I mean, they said right in that article...8 wins. Unless the Memphis and/or JaxU. assumptions are awry, that means the Bears can only lose a max of 2 SoCon games. It’s just science.

FUBeAR
July 18th, 2018, 09:07 PM
General thoughts on Mercer.

1. They are a talented team. They won’t be sneaking up on anyone this year.

2. I think they are going to miss Curtis and Ward perhaps more than most realize. I think Mercer quietly had the second best recieving corps in the league last year behind Samford. They’ll need some guys to step up.

3. I’ve followed Bobby Lamb’s entire head coaching career. His teams are good for one or two complete head scratchers every season. They will look great at times and at times will leave you wondering what it was you just watched.

4. From my experience, “sophomore slumps” are a thing and the Bears have to do everything to ensure Riley avoids one.

5. Long term, I can see them sliding into third place behind Samford and Furman and pushing for a playoff bid. I can also see them sitting at .500 again.

6. I said it earlier, but there’s a huge game in week 3 with Samford and Mercer in Birmingham. That game could well set the table for both programs.

OK...blah, blah, blah...I read...Mercer beats Yale, but loses to Samford & Furman (and Memphis). Got it. Thanks for answering my question.

PaladinFan
July 19th, 2018, 04:36 AM
I like Mercer to beat Jacksonville, Wofford, the Citadel, VMI, ETSU and UTC.

I think they’ll lose to Memphis, Furman, and Samford.

Whether they make the post season will depend on Yale and WCU.

FUBeAR
July 19th, 2018, 05:06 AM
...Yale and WCU.

Hmmm? First time for everything, I guess. xhugx

xsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
July 19th, 2018, 06:10 AM
Hmmm? First time for everything, I guess. xhugx

xsmiley_wix

Not sure, but that may be the first time they've been used in a sentence together.

FUBeAR
July 19th, 2018, 06:13 AM
Not sure, but that may be the first time they've been used in a sentence together.

https://i0.wp.com/canacopegdl.com/images/on-the-nose/on-the-nose-4.jpg

Milktruck74
July 19th, 2018, 09:10 AM
So...HERO Sports says Mercer will (they said something like “will”; I read it as “will”) win 8 games in a “breakout year.”

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2018-preseason-preview-mercer-ajaj (https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2018-preseason-preview-mercer-ajaj)

Edited to add caption...”Overmatched FSC Players Shrink from Fear while facing FBS Champion, ALABAMA”

(BTW - #34 has been Bama's leading rusher for the past 2 seasons and he was a fairly highly recruited Prospect..."The top-ranked running back in the nation by Rivals.com, Prepstar and the 247Composite ... a five-star prospect by Rivals.com"

I realize still frames don't show what really happened, and the angles can be way off...but, should 41have been ejected under the targeting rule?

FUBeAR
July 19th, 2018, 09:34 AM
I realize still frames don't show what really happened, and the angles can be way off...but, should 41have been ejected under the targeting rule?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0us40kwcelw

Nah...00:03:03

1st and 10 at UA36
Damien Harris rush over left guard for 2 yards to the UA38 (Sidney Otiwu;Isaiah Buehler).

Milktruck74
July 19th, 2018, 10:01 AM
Exactly why I said stills don't tell the full story. Clearly hit him legally and slid up to the position....and on that note of not telling the full story, one would think from your still pic that this is a blow up in the backfield and a big TFL..... 2 yard gain...I guess against Bama, anything under 5 or 6 is a TFL. hahah. You do remember when my Mocs were leading Bama in the 2nd quarter, Right?

PaladinFan
July 19th, 2018, 10:28 AM
Exactly why I said stills don't tell the full story. Clearly hit him legally and slid up to the position....and on that note of not telling the full story, one would think from your still pic that this is a blow up in the backfield and a big TFL..... 2 yard gain...I guess against Bama, anything under 5 or 6 is a TFL. hahah. You do remember when my Mocs were leading Bama in the 2nd quarter, Right?

The best are when the little guy has the lead over the big guy, not just "keeping it too close for comfort" while trailing.

FUBeAR
July 19th, 2018, 11:13 AM
You do remember when my Mocs were leading Bama in the 2nd quarter, Right?Absolutely! No bigger Mocs fan in the land than me...that day. Different scenarios though. Bama was...well, BAMA, in both of those games.

That Chatt Team was an excellent, experienced Team headed for the Playoffs, where they would bum rush a Big Sky Team (seems to happen a lot to those guys, huh?) before losing a close one in the 2nd round.

The Mercer Team that limped into Tuscaloosa was not the same Team, Offensively, that had taken Auburn to the wire earlier in the Season. Their youthful exuberance had turned into fairly frequent youthfully poor execution & they had some serious issues on that side of the ball which, hopefully, have been resolved.

As we all know, on paper, it’s not really a fair fight to begin with, but David better bring some rocks if he plans to have any kind of a chance at staying in the game, and, the slingshot better be on-target & rapid-fire to have any shot at the big upset. After falling to FU & Samford, primarily due to Offensive issues, and despite rising for a win over WCU, the Bears left their stones behind in Maconga. Frankly, I was surprised that it didn’t end up worse than 56-0. I guess it was kept from being a laughable embarrassment via the combination of Mercer showing a few flashes of what they ‘coulda did’ & Nick Saban having a strong appreciation for FCS Football. Honestly, I think he is genuinely a fan of the Players and Coaches in FCS.

Next man up: The Citadel. GO BELLHOPS!!! Unlike many of my FU brethren, I will have no problem pulling for El Cid for 3+ hours that day and, hopefully, exulting along with them in a victory over the ‘evil empire.”

PaladinFan
July 19th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Realistically, it takes nearly flawless execution from teams with way more talent than any FCS team has to even sniff a chance of beating Alabama. They are just on another level. I don't care how good North Dakota State is, they wouldn't stay within 3 touchdowns.

Milktruck74
July 19th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Realistically, it takes nearly flawless execution from teams with way more talent than any FCS team has to even sniff a chance of beating Alabama. They are just on another level. I don't care how good North Dakota State is, they wouldn't stay within 3 touchdowns.

Maybe for the first quarter...Hell, I'd given them the first half, just because of all those wins in Frisco!!!!!.

FUBeAR
July 19th, 2018, 02:13 PM
Realistically, it takes nearly flawless execution from teams with way more talent than any FCS team has to even sniff a chance of beating Alabama. They are just on another level. I don't care how good North Dakota State is, they wouldn't stay within 3 touchdowns.Au contraire, mon frere.

With near-flawless execution, NDSU (and more than a few other FCS Teams) could beat an Alabama Team that fails to properly prepare & execute. Ask Coach Saban. The problem is executing that near flawless execution while facing the level of talent you cite, when they have a Leader that will not accept anything less than all-out effort on EVERY play, along with near-flawless execution.

Hoping the Bellhops catch them the 1st time Coach Saban ‘slips’ and that the boys in white & baby blue execute as they often did in 2014 & 2015. If they do & pull off the upset of the century, I will vote them #1 in my AGS Poll that week, even if they are 1-10.

PaladinFan
July 19th, 2018, 02:44 PM
Au contraire, mon frere.

With near-flawless execution, NDSU (and more than a few other FCS Teams) could beat an Alabama Team that fails to properly prepare & execute. Ask Coach Saban. The problem is executing that near flawless execution while facing the level of talent you cite, when they have a Leader that will not accept anything less than all-out effort on EVERY play, along with near-flawless execution.

Hoping the Bellhops catch them the 1st time Coach Saban ‘slips’ and that the boys in white & baby blue execute as they often did in 2014 & 2015. If they do & pull off the upset of the century, I will vote them #1 in my AGS Poll that week, even if they are 1-10.

I'd agree with you, but my recollection is a Saban-coached team isn't going to be caught unawares by the option. Not after this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-9BRWf9Jws

tenNesseeCat
July 19th, 2018, 02:44 PM
Apparently WCU has picked up Tripp Weaver, our cornerback coach and recruiting coordinator; good get as our secondary was lights out last year. Our corners had 16 picks w/Rashad Robinson 3rd in the country.

https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/search-for-dukes-new-cbs-coach-begins

I thought this looked like a good grab for WCU that no one really talked about. He has ties to Wiley and is from Asheville, so I would guess both played a factor. Hopefully he can help Wiley and company solidify our D, along with some beef added in recruiting. We will make some young mistakes on D, but I think the unit, as a whole, will take some steps forward this year.

FUBeAR
July 19th, 2018, 02:52 PM
I'd agree with you, but my recollection is a Saban-coached team isn't going to be caught unawares by the option. Not after this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-9BRWf9Jws

Yeah...I don’t think they will either...but they might.

PaladinFan
July 19th, 2018, 07:42 PM
Yeah...I don’t think they will either...but they might.

I just found it impressive any team was able to hold Georgia Southern to 300 yards rushing in a game. He was being glass half empty in my opinion.

cx500d
July 19th, 2018, 07:54 PM
I just found it impressive any team was able to hold Georgia Southern to 300 yards rushing in a game. He was being glass half empty in my opinion.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180720/4c240ba3e916fc3990732998f28f16a1.png

walliver
July 20th, 2018, 05:57 PM
@ Wyoming
@ Gardner Webb
vs. Presbyterian

Is that really the best OOC schedule and "money" game you guys could put together this year? What gives?

That is how we schedule every year. I can't remember a schedule in the last 10 years or so when we knowingly scheduled a decent OOC FCS team. Other than a couple of losses to GW 5-6 years ago, I can't remember us losing any of those games. We also schedule games that are very short bus day trips. It reduces costs, but these games are poorly attended. PC was once our biggest rival (late 70's and early 80's) but the two schools have diverged since then, and current students and younger alumni have little interest in playing the hose. I doubt the series continues with PC's move to the PFL, but it still would count as a D-1 win.

The schedule does usually get us 2 FCS wins so that 6-2 in the SoCon has us safely in the playoffs.

I don't know how the Wyoming game made it. Sometimes the option offense makes us unattractive for money games, especially for teams that don't play Georgia Tech. Will Muschamp has instructed his AD not to schedule us again after one more currently contracted game has been played as he still has nightmares about losing to GSU while at UF.

ElCid
July 20th, 2018, 09:59 PM
Looks like we just picked up another good RB. Two Star for whatever that is worth. That gives us some really nice pick ups this year in the backfield.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4285195/5a5ceaf332dcdf27f809f1bc

https://247sports.com/Player/Samuel-Llewellyn-90230

FUBeAR
July 20th, 2018, 10:46 PM
Looks like we just picked up another good RB. Two Star for whatever that is worth. That gives us some really nice pick ups this year in the backfield.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4285195/5a5ceaf332dcdf27f809f1bc

https://247sports.com/Player/Samuel-Llewellyn-90230Any ‘downlow’ on why the very late decommit from Navy on 1/30 & the 6-7 month lag before singing with CIT? Just curious - bit of an unusual process from a timing perspective.

ElCid
July 20th, 2018, 11:00 PM
Any ‘downlow’ on why the very late decommit from Navy on 1/30 & the 6-7 month lag before singing with CIT? Just curious - bit of an unusual process from a timing perspective.

Nothing. Just showed up on our board. Probably didn't have a class or something he needed for Navy and didn't want to do prep school? Just guessing. Who knows. I am sure we have been working hard on it ever since.

PaladinFan
July 23rd, 2018, 10:10 AM
Anyone have a few players that are not necessarily house-hold names to be on the lookout for in terms of a breakout season? Guys maybe that were under-the-radar last season?

Last season you'd have to circle guys like Furman's Andy Schumpert and WCU's Marvin Tillman who went from relative unknowns to first team all conference.

Milktruck74
July 23rd, 2018, 10:28 AM
Anyone have a few players that are not necessarily house-hold names to be on the lookout for in terms of a breakout season? Guys maybe that were under-the-radar last season?

Last season you'd have to circle guys like Furman's Andy Schumpert and WCU's Marvin Tillman who went from relative unknowns to first team all conference.

I'm pretty excited to see what Tyrell Price brings. HE had 24 TDs and averaged 84 yards/game at EMCC...and we know Buddy doesn't like to keep it on the ground...

I also think Brice Nunnley will establish himself as a favorite target of whoever wins the QB battle. He had a few catches last year, but he has sure hands and runs crisp routes...not a speedy guy, but the guy that will catch the ball when you need to move the chains.

Purpleglasses
July 23rd, 2018, 11:12 AM

Well PF...on the Paladin Roster...on the defensive side of the ball, here are mine:
We already know about Jayln Reid at NG...but a couple of these guys had better numbers than he did last season.
DL: DE/OLB Chris Washington- 2017 66 Tackles first year to start. just gets the job done.
DE: Chinedu Okonya 2017 33 Tackles Extremely Athletic
DT: Jonah Tibbs 2017 55 Tackles First Year to start. not flashy, a workman
OLB Jordan Willis 33 tackles last season really athletic kid, and smart
MLB: Donovan Perryman. Position Change to the inside LB position with the loss of Ellis. This could be a really good move for him and season.
overall, I like the Furman Defense coming back...last season the offense got all the publicity, but this season, the Defense might get the headlines.
lots of talent and depth coming back.

PaladinNation
July 23rd, 2018, 11:15 AM
A few names to throw out for breakout stars for Furman this season.

Elijay McKoy steps into the leading role at ILB for 2018, McKoy had 81 tackles as a true freshman.
He's added weight (6-2 223) and IMO ready for primetime.

Due to the departure of Joe Farrar, Furman IMO gets an upgrade at OLB with Jordan Willis (6-0 205).
Willis has all the talent in the world was a 247 3 star with a slew of FBS offers. Now it's time to shine.

I think Cole Neely (6-3 273) will get the starting center position, replacing Matthew Schmidt. Cole is only a sophomore, with the coaching of Lusk and Hendrix, I think Neely will become another all SoCon lineman for Furman. I could lead here with Reed Kroeber (6-4 284) at OT, he was on the all-freshmen team last season and received Freshman All American honors.

Will Furman, have a true freshman make some noise in 2018? My gut tells me lookout for Dejaun Bell out of Augusta, a track star wide receiver, kick returner. Hendrix said at the end of the season Furman needs more playmakers… Bell is a playmaker.

SU DOG
July 23rd, 2018, 11:20 AM

I think this is always a fun thing to speculate on. Since our offense doesn't leave much wiggle room, I will offer 2 possible such players on the Samford defense. First is RS Soph. DT Armond Lloyd 6-3, 287. He has the size, and quickness to be a force alongside NG Horace Roberts in the middle of the D-Line.
The other is FS William Bryant. Bryant is a Junior who was hampered with injuries last year, but is ready to have his break-out season. He has shown signs of having the talent to be a VERY good player at this position.

PaladinFan
July 23rd, 2018, 11:38 AM
On Furman's front, I'm circling two guys.

On defense, Brad Lemons. Lemons is as big a CB as you will find at this level at 6'3 192. He is a former state champion sprinter and moved from WR to CB last spring and began starting full time about midway through last season. I think he has the potential to be a difficult matchup for offenses.

He may be one of those guys that doesn't light up the stat sheet because of his work, but I imagine offenses are going to struggle to find players that can out run him, out jump him, or out muscle him at the point of attack. He probably made as big of a jump as any Furman defensive player last year, and with a full year at the position should be well suited for a breakout season. I think he could be incredibly effective with the addition of Amir Trapp, the talented Clemson transfer, and Darius Kearse, who really played well as a true freshman.

On offense, Cam Burnette. Burnette played a reserve role last season behind Logan McCarter, but in limited action showed flashes of talent we have not seen from a Furman WR in a long time. He's big, 6'2 205, fast, and uses his body well against smaller defenders. I imagine he will be a household name by season's end.

SU DOG
July 23rd, 2018, 12:24 PM
Unfortunately I will have to agree with Purpleglasses. I think the Fiurman defense will be a real challenge for any SoCon offense this year.

PaladinFan
July 23rd, 2018, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately I will have to agree with Purpleglasses. I think the Fiurman defense will be a real challenge for any SoCon offense this year.

From my view, probably the strongest defensive unit we've had since the early-mid 2000s.

There are some legitimate question marks at ILB, which is a position that Fowler struggled to recruit and Hendrix inherited a real lack of depth. Two true freshmen started most of the time there last year and one has since left the program. If Furman can get some stability and depth at that position, I think it'll be a fun group to watch in Chad Staggs attacking 3-4 scheme.

SU DOG
July 23rd, 2018, 05:44 PM
Just saw where UTC will not have the services of QB Cole Copeland, as he has been suspended(academics is rumor) for the entire season. Last year, Alejandro Bennifield was suspended for the first 4 games due to NCAA academic issues. Later, Bennifield and fellow QB Nick Tiano were both injured, and Copeland then filled in and went on to make the SoCon All-Freshman Team. I don't know where Copeland stood on the current depth chart.

Smitty
July 23rd, 2018, 06:56 PM
Just saw where UTC will not have the services of QB Cole Copeland, as he has been suspended(academics is rumor) for the entire season. Last year, Alejandro Bennifield was suspended for the first 4 games due to NCAA academic issues. Later, Bennifield and fellow QB Nick Tiano were both injured, and Copeland then filled in and went on to make the SoCon All-Freshman Team. I don't know where Copeland stood on the current depth chart.

Seems they are not panicking on the Mocs forum, however any time you lose a QB with starting experience it is painful.

FUBeAR
July 23rd, 2018, 09:53 PM
I'm pretty excited to see what Tyrell Price brings. HE had 24 TDs and averaged 84 yards/game at EMCC...and we know Buddy doesn't like to keep it on the ground... Yeah - nothing I didn't like about Price's video. He could become a very scary back in the SoCon. It's just so hard to say with JUCO guys though, even in the best of situations. But, when the incumbent QB becomes ineligible for the next season due to academic issues (as I understand is the most recent news from Chattown (the city; not the AGS poster)), one has to wonder what the heck is going on with Academic Support Services...and how whatever the issue(s) might be there, POSSIBLY, impact a young man coming from the "Last Chance U" JUCO academic environment to a University setting.

FUBeAR
July 23rd, 2018, 10:42 PM

Last season you'd have to circle guys like Furman's Andy Schumpert and WCU's Marvin Tillman who went from relative unknowns to first team all conference.Welp, since you guys named every player on Furman's roster - I kept looking for Sam Wyche and Tom Wham's names to pop up - I'll throw out a few (relatively) unknown Bears that I think could, possibly, be heard from quite a bit in 2018...And I'll just do Offense...cuz, really, isn't that all that matters?

#2 - RUNNING BACK 5'10" 186 LBS
RASHAD HAYNES (https://mercerbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5352) - REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
MEMPHIS, TENN. MEMPHIS CENTRAL HS
Suffered season ending injury vs. Wofford in the 2nd game of the year, but not before he ran the Opening Kickoff back 90 yards for a TD. 100 meter dash State Champ in TN (10.61). Guessing he used his time off to bulk up a bit and could be a little scary with those wheels, if he can carry 210 or so without losing the burners.

#3 - WIDE RECEIVER 5'9" 166 LBS
STEPHEN HOUZAH (https://mercerbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5353) - SENIOR
AUGUSTA, GA. LAKESIDE HS
You may recognize the name as a part-time starting CB and Returner for Mercer, but take note of the position change. Made the move to the bRIGHT side of the ball for his Sr. campaign and I hear had an impressive Spring in his new role.

#4 - WIDE RECEIVER 5'9" 168 LBS
EDMOND GRAHAM (https://mercerbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5347) - SOPHOMORE
BUFORD, GA. MILL CREEK HS
Another FR speedster last year, who was injured early & didn't get much of an opportunity to show his talents to the SoCon. He did catch a 58 skinny post for a TD in his 1st college game and just ran by the DB's to go get the football (OK, it was JaxU, but this little cat can motor)

#10 - QUARTERBACK 6'2" 202 LBS
ROBERT RIDDLE (https://mercerbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5381) - REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, TENN. THE MCCALLIE SCHOOL
Yeah, I know...Mercer has the SoCon Freshman of the Year coming back at QB...why the heck is (that moron) FUBeAR putting this young man on this list. Well, I tell you...I hear that he pushed Kaelan Riley HARD all spring and I've seen his HS video - FUBeAR won't say he has a Dan Marino-quick release, but others might. Dude can really spin it. Let's just say, f something happens to Mr. Riley, I don't think Mercer is going to tank the season hoping for a better draft position.

#13 - WIDE RECEIVER 6'2" 200 LBS
DAVID DURDEN (https://mercerbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5395) - FRESHMAN
MIDVILLE, GA. EMANUEL COUNTY INSTITUTE
Signed with Mercer in 2017, but opted to go the Pro Baseball route for a year. I hear the Red Sox were none to happy when he decided he wasn't about that life. Heard he was the fastest man in their entire organization. Also heard he had a great Spring Practice and I love his HS video. Watch out for Mr. Durden this year. He just might be the 'other' tall go-to WR who's making catches when you jersey up your 'lockdown corner' on Mercer's All SoCon WR, Marquise Irvin.

#34 - RUNNING BACK 5'8" 225 LB
TYRAY DEVEZIN (https://mercerbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5333) - SOPHOMORE
WOODSTOCK, GA. ETOWAH HS
SAW SOME SPOT DUTY LAST YEAR AND WAS IMPRESSIVE. I BELIEVE HIS MAX SQUAT IS "THE GYM" - HINT: TACKLE HIM LOW...NO...LOWER...NO...LOWER! Now...WRAP UP....Oh, One of his thighs is bigger than your wingspan. Go for his ankles, then.

#63 - OFFENSIVE LINE 6'4"307 LBS
DAVID MAY (https://mercerbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5366) - REDSHIRT SENIOR
ORANGE PARK, FLA.FLEMING ISLAND HSVALDOSTA STATE
Came to Mercer last year with D2 All-American credentials playing & starting for VSU since his FR year. But he had a lingering injury and didn't play in 2017. He's had surgery and is supposedly 100% now. If that's true and he's as good as 'advertised,' he'll make a difference in Mercer's OLine and help to replace 1 of the 2 graduated starters they lost there from 2017.

2 more - just a couple of incoming Freshman that I think could play and make a difference in 2018. One BIG WR and one BIG OL. Y'all know I'm typically not a fan of (overly) big OLmen and I don't think FR OLmen can usually make much of an impact, but I just LOVED this kid's HS video. I wanted to Coach him when I saw it...and that's rare. Normally, I want to turn off the video and wonder if anyone has EVER Coached them. Man I hope he pans out for the Bears.

#72 - OFFENSIVE LINE 6'4" 315 LBS
TYRESE COHEN (https://mercerbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5407) - FRESHMAN
AIKEN, S.C. MIDLAND VALLEY HS

#84 - WIDE RECEIVER 6'3" 212 LBS
DEMOND ELLISON (https://mercerbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5406) - FRESHMAN
CANTON, GA. CHEROKEE HS

Milktruck74
July 24th, 2018, 03:45 AM
Yeah - nothing I didn't like about Price's video. He could become a very scary back in the SoCon. It's just so hard to say with JUCO guys though, even in the best of situations. But, when the incumbent QB becomes ineligible for the next season due to academic issues (as I understand is the most recent news from Chattown (the city; not the AGS poster)), one has to wonder what the heck is going on with Academic Support Services...and how whatever the issue(s) might be there, POSSIBLY, impact a young man coming from the "Last Chance U" JUCO academic environment to a University setting.

I know its Juco, but he did carry a 3.4 at EMCC, I think academically he will be fine.

FUBeAR
July 24th, 2018, 06:10 AM
I know its Juco, but he did carry a 3.4 at EMCC, I think academically he will be fine. OK - Hope so. I know he struggled to become an “academic qualifier” out of HS. This article says he did finally qualify in Dec of his Sr. Year https://m.oxfordeagle.com/2015/12/11/looking-for-more-lafayettes-price-still-gunning-for-fbs-offers/, but it doesn’t seem that any non-JUCO’s offered him. The article keeps mentioning “FBS” schools, but then says SEMO St was the only “FBS” school showing interest, so I’m assuming no FBS nor FCS were willing to take a chance until he went the JUCO route or they just didn’t have any spots available that late in the cycle.

Don’t know Bennifield’s academic history, I understand Copeland was an Honor student in HS.

If the Mocs Coaches & Academics Support Team are unable to keep HS Honors Student Starting QB’s eligible, just gotta wonder if they’ll be able to ensure this young man stays eligible, but (much) more importantly can find a way to get a college degree.

Please tell me that the reason Chattttown stopped posting is NOT because s/he got hired to lead UTC’s Academics Support for Football...please. xconfusedx

Milktruck74
July 24th, 2018, 06:26 AM
OK - Hope so. I know he struggled to become an “academic qualifier” out of HS. This article says he did finally qualify in Dec of his Sr. Year https://m.oxfordeagle.com/2015/12/11/looking-for-more-lafayettes-price-still-gunning-for-fbs-offers/, but it doesn’t seem that any non-JUCO’s offered him. The article keeps mentioning “FBS” schools, but then says SEMO St was the only “FBS” school showing interest, so I’m assuming no FBS nor FCS were willing to take a chance until he went the JUCO route or they just didn’t have any spots available that late in the cycle.

Don’t know Bennifield’s academic history, I understand Copeland was an Honor student in HS.

If the Mocs Coaches & Academics Support Team are unable to keep HS Honors Student Starting QB’s eligible, just gotta wonder if they’ll be able to ensure this young man stays eligible, but (much) more importantly can find a way to get a college degree.

Please tell me that the reason Chattttown stopped posting is NOT because s/he got hired to lead UTC’s Academics Support for Football...please. xconfusedx

I read it as classroom was not really an issue....it was ACT score. Didn't get his score until late and schools aren't waiting around anymore. I wonder if Cole's issue was more of a breakdown on just not wanting to be in school anymore. Iseriously doubt it was him not being able to make the grades. Go to class, sit up front and ask a question...and you will stay out of academic trouble....but you have to do the first to do the next two. Chattown will be back in August...provided his library card is still valid for the computers....

PaladinFan
July 24th, 2018, 06:31 AM
Furman Football's Twitter posted a play from last season that might be a key connection for the Paladins in 2018: QB Harris Roberts to WR Cam Burnette

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1021394588815187968

Furman has a question mark at QB after losing Blazejowski to graduation. It appears that Coach Hendrix will take a good look at four potential replacements in preseason, which include r-Sr. Roberts, r-FR Jemar Lincoln, and incoming freshmen Darren Grainger and Hamp Sisson. Roberts is the only one that has played to this point.

I am ordinarily wary of starting 5th year senior QBs. There is usually a reason they have been a backup for four years. However, Roberts sat behind two pretty good QBs for Furman (Hannon and Blazewjowski), both of whom sucked up a lot of playing time the last 5 seasons. From what I've been able to see, he is a solid player.

In casual observation, Roberts is notable for his size at 6'4 210. He lacks Blazejowski's shiftiness as a runner but can get up field fast and in a hurry. Once he breaks the initial line of defense with he can cover a lot of ground and is a tough guy to try to bring down with an arm tackle.

Again, just an observation, but he looks to have the biggest throwing arm of any Furman QB I've seen in a while. That pass to Burnette was 30 yards on a dime while falling backwards. He can really sling it.

FUBeAR
July 24th, 2018, 06:58 AM
Furman Football's Twitter posted a play from last season that might be a key connection for the Paladins in 2018: QB Harris Roberts to WR Cam Burnette

I see FU’s RG has been diligently watching some of my PassPro example vids I left behind for him xeyebrowx

BTW - I can’t really see the number, but I think the bellhop DLman making the big hit on the FU QB may be the 6-1/325 R-FR DL they lost in the off-season. He had potential to be akin to one of those current Woffy DLmen.

Also, that appears to be CIT’s All SoCon/All-America Safety standing flat-footed, watching Burnette run by him for the catch. Man, the boyz in baby blue just did not want to play that day. Be interesting to see if they can get back to 2015 level of effort & execution this season.

PaladinFan
July 24th, 2018, 07:19 AM
I was surprised at the Citadel effort last year. Furman was good, but I don't think anyone expected them to beat the Citadel like they did.

This play right here pretty much sums up how the Citadel played that day.

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/929450159041265664

To be honest, you would see those sort of efforts out of Furman under Bruce Fowler. In my view, when a team shows up like the Citadel did that day, it is just as much (if not more) on the coaches as the players. That's just not showing up ready to play football.

FUBeAR
July 24th, 2018, 07:32 AM
I was surprised at the Citadel effort last year. Furman was good, but I don't think anyone expected them to beat the Citadel like they did.

This play right here pretty much sums up how the Citadel played that day.

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/929450159041265664

In my view, when a team shows up like the Citadel did that day, it is ALL on the coaches.

FYP & OMG! - That D looks like some of the opponents’ D’s that I see on kids’ HS “amazing” highlight vids. Technique & effort are “0’s” for almost all 11. Their All-SoCon Inside LB, who is unblocked, looks like he doesn’t know whether to wind his a$$ or scratch his watch - going 1/2speed at the beginning & then he just gives up & jogs it out. Really shocking to see. I know their former DC (a CIT Alum) left in the Houston to Thompson transition after not getting the HC job. Have they had a lot of other changes on the Defensive Staff? They were BANGIN’ on D in 2015!

Milktruck74
July 24th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Seems they are not panicking on the Mocs forum, however any time you lose a QB with starting experience it is painful.

Anytime you lose a guy with game experience headed into camp, it stings....however, I think we have so many talented (albeit untested) guys int he QB stable, this is the one area we could take a hit in....I'm actually more worried about our RB group than the QB group. We only have 3 scholly guys at RB entering camp...Trotter is a Senior that has seen limited action in the last 3 years, Price a highly touted Juco guy from EMCC, and a (talented) true freshman in Cobb. Given this, the QB spot is not the biggest concern for the Mocs.

PaladinFan
July 24th, 2018, 08:42 AM
This was not a particularly well run play by Furman, but it is text book bad defensive fundamentals by the Citadel.

#94 (the RDE) manages to beat his block even though he stands straight up on the snap. Because his first move is up, he ends up trying to tackle Dirks at the shoulders. There isn't a defensive player in the SoCon that is going to take down Kealand Dirks by trying to tackle his shoulder pads.

I haven't the slightest idea what #91 (the LDE) is doing. Furman leaves him unblocked, and he runs three yards into the backfield to avoid a block that isn't there. After that, he decides to run up and give a Furman OL a weak shot to his backside, and not, you know, hitting the 250 lbs running back with the football. No one blocks him, he can clearly see the handoff, and dances around in the backfield. If you are going to come in there, come in there hot.

Also, do you think the Bulldogs could have spared another man in the box against all 11 Paladin offensive players? The Citadel shows a 7 man front with four defensive backs 7 or 8 yards downfield against a Paladin formation that has every player almost within the tackle box.

PaladinFan
July 24th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Anytime you lose a guy with game experience headed into camp, it stings....however, I think we have so many talented (albeit untested) guys int he QB stable, this is the one area we could take a hit in....I'm actually more worried about our RB group than the QB group. We only have 3 scholly guys at RB entering camp...Trotter is a Senior that has seen limited action in the last 3 years, Price a highly touted Juco guy from EMCC, and a (talented) true freshman in Cobb. Given this, the QB spot is not the biggest concern for the Mocs.

That was sort of the case last year too, though, wasn't it? Benefield, Tiano, and Copeland seemed like a pretty good group to go into the season with.

Just my casual observation, but the Mocs had an OL problem last season. They couldn't establish a running game, and that just left it open season on whomever was playing QB. I'm not sure it matters who is back there taking snaps if they can't open some holes up front.

Milktruck74
July 24th, 2018, 08:47 AM

3rd headed into camp....from two different sources. Apparently the Kid from the Kansas Juco is pretty special.

Smitty
July 24th, 2018, 09:13 AM

What are the stats of the people left at QB? (I realize I could search this but I'm lazy...)

Milktruck74
July 24th, 2018, 09:39 AM
What are the stats of the people left at QB? (I realize I could search this but I'm lazy...)

Tiano- BIG KID. 6'5" 225+ Transfer from Miss St. Last year played in four games (gothurt behind an awful OL) 106.41 pass eff. ...198.8 total offense/game ... six passing TDs vs. six INTs ...

Caldwell- Transfered after RS year at FIU. Played 1 game last year, and completed 1 pass for 6 yards.

James - Nobody knows anything about this kid. 6'3" 215. Signed with Valdosta, went to a Kansas Juco, was hurt and never played....but I hear he is Mechanically perfect, and can sling it like no other. My buddy shot me a message after seeing him toss it... "Wow. BIGGEST ARM we have ever seen, and can drop it in a bucket at 60 yards" So a cannon with a touch. The OL has improved so if he has time, he could be it!!!! Time will tell. We also recruited a WR that was a QBin HS, but I can't see him being a factor.

PaladinFan
July 24th, 2018, 09:45 AM
Curious. Which teams go into 2018 with an established QB already identified (at least informally) as the starter?

Seems locked:

WCU: Adams
Mercer: Riley
Samford: Hodges
ETSU: Herink

Seems maybe locked?:

the Citadel: Black
Wofford: Newman

Open competition

Furman
VMI
UTC

Mocs123
July 24th, 2018, 09:49 AM
I’m not sure what to make of this. We have Nick Tiano back, who started last season but put up sub par numbers behind a terrible line. IMO he has the tools but held on to the ball way too long behind our line and got killed. I hope he improves behind a better line. We also have a JUCO in Chris James that I have heard all sorts of gushing praise about but I haven’t seen him play and he didn’t play much as a JUCO and I thought his HS numbers were good but not great. It’s obvious Arth and Co think they stole him under the radar but time will tell.

Behind them we we have a couple of walkons, that may be decent for walkons but still.

Bennifields issue was (from what I heard) wasn’t graded, but he didn’t have enough hours in the fall of 16? To be a full time student. He graduated last December. I’m not sure how you let a player not have enough hours and if that’s true, the school has to take some of the blame there.

No idea what Copeland’s issue is.

PaladinFan
July 24th, 2018, 10:21 AM
I’m not sure what to make of this. We have Nick Tiano back, who started last season but put up sub par numbers behind a terrible line. IMO he has the tools but held on to the ball way too long behind our line and got killed. I hope he improves behind a better line. We also have a JUCO in Chris James that I have heard all sorts of gushing praise about but I haven’t seen him play and he didn’t play much as a JUCO and I thought his HS numbers were good but not great. It’s obvious Arth and Co think they stole him under the radar but time will tell.

Behind them we we have a couple of walkons, that may be decent for walkons but still.

Bennifields issue was (from what I heard) wasn’t graded, but he didn’t have enough hours in the fall of 16? To be a full time student. He graduated last December. I’m not sure how you let a player not have enough hours and if that’s true, the school has to take some of the blame there.

No idea what Copeland’s issue is.

I mean, your first point may be the most relevant.

It's not really going to matter who the Mocs stick back there if the offensive line plays like they did last year. Take a great QB and put him behind a porous OL and no running game, and it's not going to go well.

Mocs123
July 24th, 2018, 11:21 AM
I couldn’t agree more - if our OL isn’t significantly better than last year, we will have another dismal season, if the OLine improves and Tyrell Price is as good as expected, I think we have a shot at an at large playoff birth. The D wasn’t that bad last year (except the Furman game), but our offense has to stay on the field and not go 3 and out 90% of the time.

PaladinFan
July 24th, 2018, 11:32 AM
I couldn’t agree more - if our OL isn’t significantly better than last year, we will have another dismal season, if the OLine improves and Tyrell Price is as good as expected, I think we have a shot at an at large playoff birth. The D wasn’t that bad last year (except the Furman game), but our offense has to stay on the field and not go 3 and out 90% of the time.

UTC last season reminded me of Furman under Bruce Fowler. The offensive line just never really played well, the running game could not get going, and the QB took way too many uncontested shots in the backfield.

Milktruck74
July 24th, 2018, 05:56 PM
UTC last season reminded me of Furman under Bruce Fowler. The offensive line just never really played well, the running game could not get going, and the QB took way too many uncontested shots in the backfield.

I hate Hate HATE cliches', but this one rings so TRUE!!!!! It ALL starts upfront!!

Catamount87
July 25th, 2018, 08:59 AM

UTC's offensive line against WCU last year looked very unsure of what they were to do, confused about their individual assignments and lost as to how they as a unit fit into the overall plays. Honestly, we as fans enjoyed watching our men laying the wood on them but then we felt for them because we'd been there and done that with our previous coaching staff.

FUBeAR
July 25th, 2018, 09:08 AM
I guess, in lieu of having a Media Day, SoCon is going to release their Coaches/Media Pre-Season Rankings & All SoCon Teams at some point today.

I imagine Samford will receive the nod as the Team to beat.

Other than Coach Hatcher’s vote, which, I believe has to go to another Team...

What other SoCon Teams will receive any votes (Coaches and/or Media) to take the title?
None?
Just Wofford as they are the defending Champs?
Just Furman as they will heap more improvement on 2018’s turnaround/Playoff run?
Wofford AND Furman will both get 1st place Votes?
Will any of the other 6 get any 1st place Votes or is this really a 3 Team race?

What y’all think?

FUBeAR
July 25th, 2018, 09:21 AM
I guess, in lieu of having a Media Day, SoCon is going to release their Coaches/Media Pre-Season Rankings & All SoCon Teams at some point today.

I imagine Samford will receive the nod as the Team to beat.

Other than Coach Hatcher’s vote, which, I believe has to go to another Team...

What other SoCon Teams will receive any votes (Coaches and/or Media) to take the title?
None?
Just Wofford as they are the defending Champs?
Just Furman as they will heap more improvement on 2018’s turnaround/Playoff run?
Wofford AND Furman will both get 1st place Votes?
Will any of the other 6 get any 1st place Votes or is this really a 3 Team race?

What y’all think?Ask and ye shall receive...

Just released http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=21895&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211735859&DB_OEM_ID=4000

2018 Preseason Southern Conference Media Poll
Team (1st-place votes) Total
1. Samford (20) 204
2. Furman (2) 174
3. Wofford (1) 163
4. Mercer 133
5. Western Carolina 114
6. Chattanooga 88
7. The Citadel 83
8. ETSU 53
9. VMI 23

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=21895&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211735863&DB_OEM_ID=4000

2018 Preseason Southern Conference Coaches Poll
1. Samford (7) 63
2. Wofford (1) 53
3. Furman (1) 52
4. Western Carolina 39
5. Chattanooga 34
6. Mercer 32
7. The Citadel 28
8. ETSU 15
9. VMI 8

FUBeAR
July 25th, 2018, 09:23 AM
VERY surprised to see the Coaches put WCU & Chatt ahead of Mercer. And Mercer (8) trails only Wofford (10) in number of All SoCon selections.

If I’m doing the math right, in the Coaches Poll, Teams got 9 points if they were picked 1st, 8 for 2nd, 7 for 3rd...and so on. Also, based on VMI’s and ETSU’s tallies, Coaches did not vote for their own Teams, but could leave a ‘slot’ open for their Team (without any points being awarded for the open slot).

So, since 6th place is ‘worth’ 4 points and Mercer’s Total is 32 points, that means all 8 other SoCon Coaches put Mercer in the 6th slot. I suppose some could have ranked them lower and some higher to get to 32, but I just don’t see how any Coach, based on last year AND what Mercer has Returning, other than ETSU’s (and he’s new), could rank them lower than 6th. And, to be honest, I think it took quite a bit of hubris for any SoCon Coach other than, maybe, Samford’s (because Mercer’s O was SO BAD on O against Sammy last year) to rank them lower than 5th...4th really. Really, genuinely surprised at the Coaches slotting of Mercer. Maybe they know something I don’t.

Interesting.

FUBeAR
July 25th, 2018, 09:37 AM
2018 Preseason All-Southern Conference Football Teams
Offensive Player of the Year: Devlin Hodges, R-Sr., QB, Samford
Defensive Player of the Year: Ahmad Gooden, R-Sr., DL, Samford

First team offense
QB Devlin Hodges, R-Sr., Samford
RB Kealand Dirks, R-Sr., Furman - PaladinFan will be elated
RB Andre Stoddard, Sr., Wofford
OL Tyler Davis, Sr., The Citadel
OL Austin Sanders, R-Jr., Mercer
OL Nick Nixon, Jr., Samford
OL Zach Weeks, R-Sr., Western Carolina
OL Michael Ralph, Jr., Wofford
TE Sam Walker, R-Sr., Mercer
WR Marquise Irvin, Sr., Mercer
WR Kelvin McKnight, Sr., Samford

First team defense
DL Nasir Player, R-Jr., ETSU
DL Ahmad Gooden, R-Sr., Samford
DL Isaiah Mack, R-Sr., Chattanooga
DL Miles Brown, Sr., Wofford
LB Elijah McKoy, So., Furman
LB LeMarkus Bailey, R-Sr., Mercer
LB Datavious Wilson, Jr., Wofford
DB Aron Spann III, Sr., The Citadel
DB Aaquil Annoor, Sr., Furman
DB Marvin Tillman, Sr., Western Carolina
DB Devin Watson, Sr., Wofford

First team specialists
PK Luke Carter, Jr., Wofford
P Ian Berryman, R-Sr., Western Carolina
RS Brandon Dowdell, So., Chattanooga

Second team offense
QB Tyrie Adams, R-Jr., Western Carolina
RB Tee Mitchell, Sr., Mercer
RB Tyrell Price, Jr., Chattanooga - Any other Player ever been named All SoCon w/o playing a down?
OL Drew McEntyre, Jr., The Citadel
OL Matt Pyke, R-Sr., ETSU
OL Reed Kroeber, R-So., Furman - YAY! Homeboy! Should be 1st Team
OL Malcolm White, R-Jr., Chattanooga
OL Brad Davis, So., VMI
OL Nathan Dalton, R-Sr., Western Carolina
OL Andrew Miles, R-Sr., Western Carolina
OL Justus Basinger, Jr., Wofford
TE Jake Walker, So., Furman
WR Thomas Gordon, Jr., Furman
WR Chris Shelling, Jr., Samford
WR Bingo Morton, R-Sr., Chattanooga

Second team defense
DL Ja’Lon Williams, Jr., The Citadel
DL Jaylan Reid, R-Sr., Furman
DL Isaiah Buehler, R-Sr., Mercer
DL Mikel Horton, Jr., Wofford
LB Noah Dawkins, Sr., The Citadel
LB Dylan Weigel, R-Sr., ETSU
LB Christian Stark, Sr., Samford
DB Eric Jackson, R-Jr., Mercer
DB Darius Harvey, R-Sr., Samford
DB Kareem Orr, Sr., Chattanooga
DB Mason Alstatt, Jr., Wofford

Second team specialists
PK JJ Jerman, Sr., ETSU
P Matt Shiel, Gr., Mercer
P Luke Carter, Jr., Wofford
RS Quan Harrison R-Jr., ETSU

13 OLmen named & only 1 from projected SoCon Champion, Samford. How is that possible? I have read on AGS that they are all 6-8/340 & future 1st round NFL Draft choices. Clearly the SoCon Coaches are CLUELESS!

PaladinNation
July 25th, 2018, 10:22 AM
I'll be honest… didn't expect Elijay McKoy to get that much respect to earn the 1st Team nod.
Still, glad he did xdrunkyx

PaladinFan
July 25th, 2018, 11:42 AM
I'll be honest… didn't expect Elijay McKoy to get that much respect to earn the 1st Team nod.
Still, glad he did xdrunkyx

I expect McKoy will lead the SoCon in tackles this season. You read it here first.

Catamount87
July 25th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Let's face it, the last several years 4-7 place in the SoCon has been a bit of a crap shoot. I am inclined to give Mercer a bit more of the #4 nod. WCU has some big shoes to fill at RB and WR and the defense still is a bit of a question mark. UTC was in turmoil last year especially on the lines and there are some indications that turmoil will remain. The Citadel fell to earth hard. They aren't in disarray like UTC but has some big question marks. ETSU has shown they can compete but overall depth is questionable.

PaladinFan
July 25th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Let's face it, the last several years 4-7 place in the SoCon has been a bit of a crap shoot. I am inclined to give Mercer a bit more of the #4 nod. WCU has some big shoes to fill at RB and WR and the defense still is a bit of a question mark. UTC was in turmoil last year especially on the lines and there are some indications that turmoil will remain. The Citadel fell to earth hard. They aren't in disarray like UTC but has some big question marks. ETSU has shown they can compete but overall depth is questionable.

I don't disagree with your assessment.

My concern with WCU is the defense, really. The Cats played well last year, but struggled against the more physical teams in the league while having a lot of success against the more finesse squads. Their defense was vastly improved over the 2016 squad, but there is a difference between "coordinating" a defense to be in the right spot and then having the boys that can blow up a play when they get there.

Like you, I have no idea what to expect with UTC.

ETSU has talented player, but I agree, there is question of depth. They have the distinct possibility of upending a conference front runner this season simply because they have the talent to be as good on any one day as any team in the league.

I'm also not sure what to make of the Citadel. They have some talented players, but watching how they ended the season concerns me. It's one thing to lose, and it's another thing not to show up and play football. As a Furman fan, I could stomach losing, but I couldn't stomach watching the team show up and kick the ball around for four quarters (see, WCU game 2015)

Milktruck74
July 25th, 2018, 01:51 PM
I don't disagree with your assessment.

My concern with WCU is the defense, really. The Cats played well last year, but struggled against the more physical teams in the league while having a lot of success against the more finesse squads. Their defense was vastly improved over the 2016 squad, but there is a difference between "coordinating" a defense to be in the right spot and then having the boys that can blow up a play when they get there.

Like you, I have no idea what to expect with UTC.

ETSU has talented player, but I agree, there is question of depth. They have the distinct possibility of upending a conference front runner this season simply because they have the talent to be as good on any one day as any team in the league.

I'm also not sure what to make of the Citadel. They have some talented players, but watching how they ended the season concerns me. It's one thing to lose, and it's another thing not to show up and play football. As a Furman fan, I could stomach losing, but I couldn't stomach watching the team show up and kick the ball around for four quarters (see, WCU game 2015)

Last year I said we could be 10-2 or 2-10. This year I feel optimistic and feel the team will start to gel, but we are still a ways off. If the improvement trend from week1 to week 10 (especially on OL) continue through spring and Fall camp, this team could sneak up and win a bunch of games. So This year, I think we could easily be 8-3 or 3-8. We just don't know.

PaladinFan
July 25th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Last year I said we could be 10-2 or 2-10. This year I feel optimistic and feel the team will start to gel, but we are still a ways off. If the improvement trend from week1 to week 10 (especially on OL) continue through spring and Fall camp, this team could sneak up and win a bunch of games. So This year, I think we could easily be 8-3 or 3-8. We just don't know.

I think we will know a good bit about UTC after a few weeks. They play decent but not overwhelming OVC teams as well as the Citadel. If UTC struggles through those contests, they may be in for a long season.

I'm open minded about the Mocs. Furman beat the stuffing out of them last year in Chattanooga, but I'm inclined to think they are better than the team I saw. The 180 difference between the Furman/UTC contest from 2016 to 2017 was pretty stark though. It's almost as though the teams switched jerseys.

Milktruck74
July 25th, 2018, 03:25 PM
I think we will know a good bit about UTC after a few weeks. They play decent but not overwhelming OVC teams as well as the Citadel. If UTC struggles through those contests, they may be in for a long season.

I'm open minded about the Mocs. Furman beat the stuffing out of them last year in Chattanooga, but I'm inclined to think they are better than the team I saw. The 180 difference between the Furman/UTC contest from 2016 to 2017 was pretty stark though. It's almost as though the teams switched jerseys.

I'm hoping they switch back those Jerseys this year. ha

ElCid
July 25th, 2018, 03:26 PM
I'm also not sure what to make of the Citadel. They have some talented players, but watching how they ended the season concerns me. It's one thing to lose, and it's another thing not to show up and play football.

Yeah I kind of thought that would happen for the Furman game. I will say that style points are not a priority usually with my Bulldogs. If you are going to lose and the season is over it doesn't really matter. Seriously, that sounds bad, and "you should always do your best," yada yada, yada. I have noticed this many times. It must be in the psyche of a cadet to not expend energy unnecessarily. I think it comes from constantly exercising too much time/energy management skills. I have often caught myself doing it over the years when something is not working out. I know, I know, it does sound bad, but it is just natural sometimes. But it happens on the flip side sometimes as well, like our game against USC a couple years ago. That was a time to go all out, regardless. A couple players threw there bodies into it literally and risked some serious injury a couple times. A big rivalry game might make a difference later in a season regardless of record (the Furman rivalry ain't what it used to be for most Cadets), or some other factor, but I could see some players last year just throttling back the last few games when they realized the math just wasn't there to achieve what they wanted. You can call it a fault if you want, and many will probably not acknowledge it, but it is what it is. I think the tide turned during the WCU game when we again fumbled on the goal line. Coaches and players have to fight it as able. That is why in the '16 season I was very pleased to see them fight each and every game even when down. That got us to 8-0 in the SOCON. I was hoping that started a new trend in hanging in there regardless. It still may have. We will see.

FUGameBreaker
July 25th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Ask and ye shall receive...

Just released http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=21895&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211735859&DB_OEM_ID=4000

1. Samford (20) 204
2. Furman (2) 174
3. Wofford (1) 163
4. Mercer 133
5. Western Carolina 114
6. Chattanooga 88
7. The Citadel 83
8. ETSU 53
9. VMI 23

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=21895&SPID=1781&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211735863&DB_OEM_ID=4000

1. Samford (7) 63
2. Wofford (1) 53
3. Furman (1) 52
4. Western Carolina 39
5. Chattanooga 34
6. Mercer 32
7. The Citadel 28
8. ETSU 15
9. VMI 8

Seems about right at this stage to me

PaladinFan
July 25th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Yeah I kind of thought that would happen for the Furman game. I will say that style points are not a priority usually with my Bulldogs. If you are going to lose and the season is over it doesn't really matter. Seriously, that sounds bad, and "you should always do your best," yada yada, yada. I have noticed this many times. It must be in the psyche of a cadet to not expend energy unnecessarily. I think it comes from constantly exercising too much time/energy management skills. I have often caught myself doing it over the years when something is not working out. I know, I know, it does sound bad, but it is just natural sometimes. But it happens on the flip side sometimes as well, like our game against USC a couple years ago. That was a time to go all out, regardless. A couple players threw there bodies into it literally and risked some serious injury a couple times. A big rivalry game might make a difference later in a season regardless of record (the Furman rivalry ain't what it used to be for most Cadets), or some other factor, but I could see some players last year just throttling back the last few games when they realized the math just wasn't there to achieve what they wanted. You can call it a fault if you want, and many will probably not acknowledge it, but it is what it is. I think the tide turned during the WCU game when we again fumbled on the goal line. Coaches and players have to fight it as able. That is why in the '16 season I was very pleased to see them fight each and every game even when down. That got us to 8-0 in the SOCON. I was hoping that started a new trend in hanging in there regardless. It still may have. We will see.

I got to the point with Furman where I just wasn't going to make the drive to watch a game where there was a pretty decent chance the team would just mail it in.

It probably is easy to say as an alum in the stands, but there's something about playing for the name on the front of your jersey that matters.

There were a few times the past few seasons where I never thought I would see Furman football. Downs double digit points minutes into the game. Looking like they never got off the bus. I do not want to say they "didn't care," but it sure looked like it at times.

Again, I think Furman's issue was largely a coaching problem. Clay Hendrix took roughly the same group, gained athleticism and toughness, and looked completely different with largely the same players.

Sandlapper Spike
July 25th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Curious. Which teams go into 2018 with an established QB already identified (at least informally) as the starter?

Seems locked:

WCU: Adams
Mercer: Riley
Samford: Hodges
ETSU: Herink

Seems maybe locked?:

the Citadel: Black
Wofford: Newman

Open competition

Furman
VMI
UTC

Black will almost certainly be the starter for The Citadel. I'm not sure Herink is a lock at ETSU, though.

ElCid
July 25th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Black will almost certainly be the starter for The Citadel. I'm not sure Herink is a lock at ETSU, though.

I would think so as well. But curious if there will be much of a competition.

sudog03
July 25th, 2018, 06:21 PM
The Cats played well last year, but struggled against the more physical teams in the league while having a lot of success against the more finesse squads.

Assuming you consider us a "finesse squad", we gained 7.0 yards per play against WCU and 620 yards of total offense.

Schism55
July 25th, 2018, 07:43 PM
Assuming you consider us a "finesse squad", we gained 7.0 yards per play against WCU and 620 yards of total offense.
Safe to say, you did give up 522 yards at home to a D2 school xeyebrowx

FUBeAR
July 25th, 2018, 08:13 PM
Assuming you consider us a "finesse squad", we gained 7.0 yards per play against WCU and 620 yards of total offense.Pretty sure they spell “success” with a “W” up in Cullowhee, NC. Apparently, a big “L” can be part of “success” in Homewood, AL

longtimemocfan
July 25th, 2018, 09:32 PM
Tiano- BIG KID. 6'5" 225+ Transfer from Miss St. Last year played in four games (gothurt behind an awful OL) 106.41 pass eff. ...198.8 total offense/game ... six passing TDs vs. six INTs ...

Caldwell- Transfered after RS year at FIU. Played 1 game last year, and completed 1 pass for 6 yards.

James - Nobody knows anything about this kid. 6'3" 215. Signed with Valdosta, went to a Kansas Juco, was hurt and never played....but I hear he is Mechanically perfect, and can sling it like no other. My buddy shot me a message after seeing him toss it... "Wow. BIGGEST ARM we have ever seen, and can drop it in a bucket at 60 yards" So a cannon with a touch. The OL has improved so if he has time, he could be it!!!! Time will tell. We also recruited a WR that was a QBin HS, but I can't see him being a factor.

I've heard the same thing about James. He's got to get over the injury bugaboo. He runs very well too.

sudog03
July 25th, 2018, 10:05 PM
Safe to say, you did give up 522 yards at home to a D2 school xeyebrowx

Yet we somehow rebounded to give up the fewest yards per play in the Socon when using conference only games.

sudog03
July 25th, 2018, 10:08 PM
Pretty sure they spell “success” with a “W” up in Cullowhee, NC. Apparently, a big “L” can be part of “success” in Homewood, AL

Sorry, thought we were talking about WCU defense effectiveness against "finesse offenses'. That L for Samford had much more to do with our defense. Think of Mercer"s offense against Samford.

FUBeAR
July 25th, 2018, 11:02 PM
I've heard the same thing about James. He runs very well too.

he is Mechanically perfect, and can sling it like no other. My buddy shot me a message after seeing him toss it... "Wow. BIGGEST ARM we have ever seen, and can drop it in a bucket at 60 yards" So a cannon with a touch. The OL has improved so if he has time, he could be it!!!!

So...this unbelievable, amazing, 6-2/215 second coming of Tom Brady (except he runs “very well”), who played HS ball in just about the geographic center of the SoCon footprint (less than 1.5 hours from Chatt), in the HEAVILY recruited state of Georgia, was completely overlooked by all FBS & FCS Schools in the 2015 Recruiting Class...So, he went D2 in 2015 to Valdosta State, but does not show up on their ‘16 Roster or in their ‘15 or ‘16 stats. Then he turns up at a CC in KS in 2017, plays in only 3 games, recording a completion rate of 23.5% (4 for 17 for 49 yards)...that young man is, possibly, the ‘savior’ of Chattanooga Football. Quite a Cinderella Story that will be!

A couple of side notes / links, etc...

* Chatt bio says he played for Gilmer HS in 2015, which could make him a R-Sophomore in 2018, but that’s an error. He is listed in Valdosta’s signing class of 2015, which means his NCAA ‘clock’ started ticking in 2015...which means, unless there is some other explanation allowing him a 6th year, he will only have 2018 & 2019 to star for the Mocs and should be listed as a JR or R-JR...So Jacob Huesman’s records should be safe.

Chris James’ Hutchinson CC Stats - http://www.bluedragonsports.com/sports/fball/2017-18/players/chrisjameso0wm
BTW - the starting QB for Hutchinson, playing in front of James, did have a bunch of offers, including Notre Dame...College (D2), Elizabeth City State (D2), Kentucky Christian (AAI...whatever that is), Livingstone (D2)...and he signed with Union Collegein KY (NAIA).

So, back to Mr. James...3 games with 4 completed passes in the past 3 seasons...

Let’s see his 2014 HS highlights and see what every D1 school in the surrounding 5 states missed. - https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1245807/5721b95a041ddc1b00496b62

Hey, he looks tall, strong, agile, and has a nice touch & accuracy on his deep ball. He also looks like a hard-nosed kid. I like what I see, but QB evaluation is not my strongest suit. Maybe I’m missing something that D1 College Coaches saw (or didn’t see, I guess) in 2014.

Like I said, if the glowing praise we see here is true, he will be the Cinderella Story of the SoCon, if not all of College Football!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZJwhQzENNU

FUBeAR
July 25th, 2018, 11:17 PM
Sorry, thought we were talking about WCU defense effectiveness against "finesse offenses'. That L for Samford had much more to do with our defense. Think of Mercer"s offense against Samford.
No.

WCU’s Defense was effective enough to beat Samford, the ‘finesse team’ in question...well, Samford wasn’t, specifically, in question, until you cited their “success” in a game they lost.

Mercer’s Offense was not effective enough to win the game and, in fact, as you know, scored more points for Samford than they did for Mercer. They scored 20% of Samford’s Point Total that day.

Really no comparison, but thanks for playing.

Milktruck74
July 26th, 2018, 03:53 AM
So...this unbelievable, amazing, 6-2/215 second coming of Tom Brady (except he runs “very well”), who played HS ball in just about the geographic center of the SoCon footprint (less than 1.5 hours from Chatt), in the HEAVILY recruited state of Georgia, was completely overlooked by all FBS & FCS Schools in the 2015 Recruiting Class...So, he went D2 in 2015 to Valdosta State, but does not show up on their ‘16 Roster or in their ‘15 or ‘16 stats. Then he turns up at a CC in KS in 2017, plays in only 3 games, recording a completion rate of 23.5% (4 for 17 for 49 yards)...that young man is, possibly, the ‘savior’ of Chattanooga Football. Quite a Cinderella Story that will be!

A couple of side notes / links, etc...

* Chatt bio says he played for Gilmer HS in 2015, which could make him a R-Sophomore in 2018, but that’s an error. He is listed in Valdosta’s signing class of 2015, which means his NCAA ‘clock’ started ticking in 2015...which means, unless there is some other explanation allowing him a 6th year, he will only have 2018 & 2019 to star for the Mocs and should be listed as a JR or R-JR...So Jacob Huesman’s records should be safe.

Chris James’ Hutchinson CC Stats - http://www.bluedragonsports.com/sports/fball/2017-18/players/chrisjameso0wm
BTW - the starting QB for Hutchinson, playing in front of James, did have a bunch of offers, including Notre Dame...College (D2), Elizabeth City State (D2), Kentucky Christian (AAI...whatever that is), Livingstone (D2)...and he signed with Union Collegein KY (NAIA).

So, back to Mr. James...3 games with 4 completed passes in the past 3 seasons...

Let’s see his 2014 HS highlights and see what every D1 school in the surrounding 5 states missed. - https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1245807/5721b95a041ddc1b00496b62

Hey, he looks tall, strong, agile, and has a nice touch & accuracy on his deep ball. He also looks like a hard-nosed kid. I like what I see, but QB evaluation is not my strongest suit. Maybe I’m missing something that D1 College Coaches saw (or didn’t see, I guess) in 2014.

Like I said, if the glowing praise we see here is true, he will be the Cinderella Story of the SoCon, if not all of College Football!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZJwhQzENNU

He is a complete unknown...We have no Idea about him, because he was injured. He did sign with Valdosta, but I'm not sure he ever actuallly entered school...he may have, but I'm not sure. HE was an absolute surprise on signing day. Nobody saw it coming. And frankly, most of us were not too happy with the pick up. However, the staff is really high on him. Arth should know how to evaluate QBs (he was one for a few years), so I'll give him some rope on that one. People that have watched him throw (and there is much more to playing the position than throwing) say he is unreal. There are kids that are overlooked all the time. I played at FUMA with a kid from Mt Pleasent SC that had offers from Newberry and West Georgia, and then the next years after FUMA, HE was stronger and a little bigger (still undersized for a LB) he was offered by App State...He matured another year or two and got better again...and I would say being the two time Defensive POY for FCS ain't too bad....Oh and 9 years in the LEague too. Kids get missed all the time. JAmes may be the guy, or he may not be....time willtell.

FUBeAR
July 26th, 2018, 07:45 AM
1) He is a complete unknown...because he was injured.

2) He did sign with Valdosta, but I'm not sure he ever actuallly entered school...he may have, but I'm not sure.

3) There are kids that are overlooked all the time. I played at FUMA with a kid from Mt Pleasent SC that had offers from Newberry and West Georgia, and then the next years after FUMA, HE was stronger and a little bigger (still undersized for a LB) he was offered by App State...He matured another year or two and got better again...and I would say being the two time Defensive POY for FCS ain't too bad....Oh and 9 years in the LEague too. Kids get missed all the time.

1) Injured for 3 seasons? That will definitely add to the Cinderella Story.

2) I don’t know if he ever went to school at Valdosta either, but I do know he was there for the 2015 Team Photo, which almost assuredly means he participated in at least 1 practice, which is, I believe, starts his NCAA clock a-tickin’.

http://vstateblazers.com/images/2015/8/26/2015_Football_Team.jpg.ashx?preset=large.storyimag e
7th row, 1st from left, #2

https://www.vstateblazers.com/images/2015/8/25/ChrisJames.jpg.ashx?preset=large.rosterdetailimage
BTW - this photo’s URL shows a date of 8/25/2015. If he was there 1 week before their 1st game, I think we can pretty safely assume he participated in a practice. So, barring a pre-determined 6th year exception, he only has 2 seasons to wear the blue & yella.

3) I’m not sure comparing a 5-10 (or less) LB coming out of Wando HS, located in the far reaches of SC, a quarter century earlier, who may not have been an academic qualifier (per the Interwebs) in the days before those Interwebs & HUDL & e-mail & Twitter & 90 billion camps & summer 7-on-7 leagues with a 6-2 QB, playing in the Ex-Urbs of ATL in today’s Recruiting environment is a very reasonable comparison. I really don’t think any kids, especially QB’s, are truly ‘overlooked’ these days. They may be erroneously passed over due to ‘measurables’ (probably not the case for a 6-2/215 QB who appears to have adequate wheels) or a late-bloomer or just misjudged by EVERYONE (else) Talent-wise (either or both of which could be the case here), or have academic/qualifying issues (not the case here since he was an NCAA D2 signee)...but no kid playing HS Football as a QB in GA is likely to be ‘overlooked.’

If Coach Arth gets a ‘winner’ with this amazing Cinderella Story QB in 2018 & 2019, then he ‘purchases’ an awful lot of rope as a QB Talent evaluator & developer. If, on the other hand, James ends up not playing or playing very sparsely with an abysmal completion %, as he has done at his 2 previous less-than-D1 College stops, then I think the “D3 vs. D1 Head Coach” drums start beating VERY loudly (again) in The Scenic City.

SU DOG
July 26th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Pretty sure they spell “success” with a “W” up in Cullowhee, NC. Apparently, a big “L” can be part of “success” in Homewood, AL

So you take one comment used to prove a point about one game and stereotype 2 entire groups of fans? I think a little broader data spectrum for your analysis would be in order. Other than our inability to beat Chattanooga, I don't see much support for those Ws and Ls for the last, say 6 years(4 after we joined the SoCon) supporting any such statement, whether it's Cullowhee, Spartanburg, Macon, etc.

FUBeAR
July 26th, 2018, 09:07 AM
So you take one comment used to prove a point about one game and stereotype 2 entire groups of fans? I think a little broader data spectrum for your analysis would be in order. Other than our inability to beat Chattanooga, I don't see much support for those Ws and Ls for the last, say 6 years(4 after we joined the SoCon) supporting any such statement, whether it's Cullowhee, Spartanburg, Macon, etc.

https://orig00.deviantart.net/e026/f/2016/338/1/b/prime_animated_spinning_head_by_fearlessgerm82-daqjf0n.gif

SU DOG
July 26th, 2018, 09:10 AM
xlolxxlolx

walliver
July 26th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Ask and ye shall receive...

1. Samford (20) 204
2. Furman (2) 174
3. Wofford (1) 163
4. Mercer 133
5. Western Carolina 114
6. Chattanooga 88
7. The Citadel 83
8. ETSU 53
9. VMI 23

1. Samford (7) 63
2. Wofford (1) 53
3. Furman (1) 52
4. Western Carolina 39
5. Chattanooga 34
6. Mercer 32
7. The Citadel 28
8. ETSU 15
9. VMI 8

I am curious which coach picked Wofford or Furman over Samford. Obviously one of the two received Hatcher's vote, but the other upstate first place vote came from a coach who could have picked Sammy.

FUBeAR
July 26th, 2018, 01:49 PM
I am curious which coach picked Wofford or Furman over Samford. Obviously one of the two received Hatcher's vote, but the other upstate first place vote came from a coach who could have picked Sammy.

My guesses are Hatcher voted Woffy #1 & Conklin voted Furman #1...Nah...maybe Hendrix voted Woffy #1. Heck.,. I dunno.

Milktruck74
July 26th, 2018, 02:13 PM
3) I’m not sure comparing a 5-10 (or less) LB coming out of Wando HS, located in the far reaches of SC, a quarter century earlier, who may not have been an academic qualifier (per the Interwebs) in the days before those Interwebs & HUDL & e-mail & Twitter & 90 billion camps & summer 7-on-7 leagues with a 6-2 QB, playing in the Ex-Urbs of ATL in today’s Recruiting environment is a very reasonable comparison. I really don’t think any kids, especially QB’s, are truly ‘overlooked’ these days. They may be erroneously passed over due to ‘measurables’ (probably not the case for a 6-2/215 QB who appears to have adequate wheels) or a late-bloomer or just misjudged by EVERYONE (else) Talent-wise (either or both of which could be the case here), or have academic/qualifying issues (not the case here since he was an NCAA D2 signee)...but no kid playing HS Football as a QB in GA is likely to be ‘overlooked.’

If Coach Arth gets a ‘winner’ with this amazing Cinderella Story QB in 2018 & 2019, then he ‘purchases’ an awful lot of rope as a QB Talent evaluator & developer. If, on the other hand, James ends up not playing or playing very sparsely with an abysmal completion %, as he has done at his 2 previous less-than-D1 College stops, then I think the “D3 vs. D1 Head Coach” drums start beating VERY loudly (again) in The Scenic City.

My comparison with D-Rok was less about being overlooked, and more about late blooming. D-Rok was a qualifyer in HS....remember it was a only a 2.0 and a 700 back in those days (pre-sliding sale), and FUMA wouldn't help you with the 2.0, just the SAT. IF you didn't have the 2.0 out of HS, your only option was Juco or Prop48, and I'm pretty sure the prop was going away at that time.

Catamount87
July 26th, 2018, 02:26 PM

Well, let's look at a couple of those stats. SU had a net 91 yards rushing on 21 attempts, 67 passing attempts, 22 of their 26 1st downs were by passing. Those are stats typical of more finesse offense teams. By comparison WCU in that game had 290 net rushing yards on 57 attempts, 312 net passing yards on 31 attempts and 1st downs were 11 by rushing, 14 by passing.

Bottom line, both offenses were highly effective, both defenses gave up big plays and one team ultimately executed a bit better than the other.

FUBeAR
July 26th, 2018, 03:30 PM
My comparison with D-Rok was less about being overlooked, and more about late blooming. D-Rok was a qualifyer in HS....remember it was a only a 2.0 and a 700 back in those days (pre-sliding sale), and FUMA wouldn't help you with the 2.0, just the SAT. IF you didn't have the 2.0 out of HS, your only option was Juco or Prop48, and I'm pretty sure the prop was going away at that time. Just quoting the Interwebs; not validating the source...

College career
In order to meet academic requirements for College, Coakley attended Fork Union Military Academy (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_Union_Military_Academy) post-graduate program for one year, before accepting a scholarship to Appalachian State University (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_State_University).

Not really my point though. Just adding to one of the reasons Mr. Coakley, who was a certified bad-a$$ LB, may not have had an initial shot at D1/D1-AA. I imagine ‘measurables’ (height) was the #1 reason, location/ Recruiting environment (at the time) was probably #2, Academics (if the above is accurate) would have actually been #1.

Mr. James, as I pointed out, likely faced none of the challenges faced by Mr. Coakley in his recruitment from HS (nor from JUCO, although we might add ‘injury impaired’ to James’ JUCO Recruiting challenges). He has the requisite measurables. He played HS ball in the midst of a Recruting ‘hotbed’ on a winning Team that made the GHSA Playoffs. He had quality HS videos, readily accessible by any & every school that wanted a QB, and he was obviously NCAA academically-qualified...so that really just leaves that EVERYONE (else) has been wrong in their evaluation of him out of HS AND/OR, he could be a late-bloomer, but I just don’t understand how he could have been fertilizing that bloom by NOT playing for the past 3 seasons...so, I don’t think it’s reasonable to assign that label to him just yet...maybe once we see him flowering and flourishing...but not just yet.

So, I think it comes down to EVERYONE (else) has been wrong and Coach Arth is a pure genius (which is quite possible)...or not...REALLY not. We have 2 seasons to find out which is the case.

EDIT: Became even more intrigued, so did some more research...although James does not appear on HCC’s 2016 web Roster, he did play for the Blue Dragons in ‘16. He was referred to in news articles as a transfer from Valdosta and he did win the Starting job at HCC to start the season. He started & played in Game 1, a win over Coffeyville CC...

PASSING
C-A
YDS
LG
TD
INT

Chris James (http://www.bluedragonsports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/players?id=IA)
11-24

RUSHING
ATT
YDS
AVG
LG
TD

Chris James (http://www.bluedragonsports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/players?id=IA)

...and he started & played in Game 2, a win over Iowa Western CC

PASSING
C-A
YDS
LG
TD
INT

Chris James (http://www.bluedragonsports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/players?id=up80pdlx9agwign1)
7-20

RUSHING
ATT
YDS
AVG
LG
TD

Chris James (http://www.bluedragonsports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/players?id=up80pdlx9agwign1)

...but he appears to have left that game with 12:30 left in the 3rd quarter after his final incompletion. They were off the following week, but this Tweet appeared the week after that...

https://twitter.com/brookskeltonr/status/777183439321640960?s=21

He did not play again in 2016 & mentions rehabbing for 5 months in a Hutchinson 2017 pre-season Video.

Here is his 2017 HCC Roster bio listing him as a Soph http://www.bluedragonsports.com/sports/fball/2017-18/bios/james_chris_b8sh - which I would take to mean, he did not get a Redshirt for 2016’s abbreviated season. Maybe Chatt listing him as a Soph is being presumptive that the NCAA will grant him a 6th year medical waiver.

Really hard to see/say if he was injured in 2017 as he only played in HCC’s 3rd (a 91-0 win),

PASSING
C-A
YDS
LG
TD
INT

Chris James (http://www.bluedragonsports.com/sports/fball/2017-18/players?id=o0wm8ir96a9gefs7)
0-3

RUSHING
ATT
YDS
AVG
LG
T

Chris James (http://www.bluedragonsports.com/sports/fball/2017-18/players?id=o0wm8ir96a9gefs7)

6th (a 42-14 win), looks like HCC’s Starter was out that game & James backed up his replacement

PASSING
C-A
YDS
LG
TD
INT

2-6

RUSHING
ATT
YDS
AVG
LG
TD

and 12th game (a 48-34 loss) - looks like he moved up to the Backup role & was used primarily to run the ball. Really hard to say as they used 3 QB’s in the 1st 3 plays...and James actually took the 1st down snap & ran it. The other 2 QB’s passed on their plays. So...technically, he was the Starter, I guess. He was their leading rusher in this game.

PASSING
C-A
YDS
LG
TD
INT

2-8

RUSHING
ATT
YDS
AVG
LG
TD

I can’t find anything about an injury in 2017. Just looks like he didn’t win back the job, but who knows.

Here’s a link to his Hutchinson stuff.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/7784494/Chris-James/videos

Looks to me like he has the physical tools. If Coach Arth deserves his QB Guru reputation, then he ought to be able to develop him & we may see that Cinderella Story. I would love it. I loved watching kids like Jacob Huesman & John Russ (also a Cinderella Story) play & if Mr. James success come to pass, I will be happy...as long as he loses 2 SoCon games each year. xnodx

sudog03
July 26th, 2018, 05:02 PM
Well, let's look at a couple of those stats. SU had a net 91 yards rushing on 21 attempts, 67 passing attempts, 22 of their 26 1st downs were by passing. Those are stats typical of more finesse offense teams. By comparison WCU in that game had 290 net rushing yards on 57 attempts, 312 net passing yards on 31 attempts and 1st downs were 11 by rushing, 14 by passing.

Bottom line, both offenses were highly effective, both defenses gave up big plays and one team ultimately executed a bit better than the other.

No doubt, we gave up 8 explosive plays in that game. WCU had a great offensive plan and executed at a high level. I was simply taking umbrage with the original post about WCU's defense performing well against finesse teams.

SU DOG
July 26th, 2018, 05:20 PM
No doubt, we gave up 8 explosive plays in that game. WCU had a great offensive plan and executed at a high level. I was simply taking umbrage with the original post about WCU's defense performing well against finesse teams.

And on that day Tyrie Adams brought back bad memories to me of Armanti Edwards.

Mocs123
July 26th, 2018, 09:25 PM
Just quoting the Interwebs; not validating the source...

College career
In order to meet academic requirements for College, Coakley attended Fork Union Military Academy (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_Union_Military_Academy) post-graduate program for one year, before accepting a scholarship to Appalachian State University (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_State_University).

Not really my point though. Just adding to one of the reasons Mr. Coakley, who was a certified bad-a$$ LB, may not have had an initial shot at D1/D1-AA. I imagine ‘measurables’ (height) was the #1 reason, location/ Recruiting environment (at the time) was probably #2, Academics (if the above is accurate) would have actually been #1.

Mr. James, as I pointed out, likely faced none of the challenges faced by Mr. Coakley in his recruitment from HS (nor from JUCO, although we might add ‘injury impaired’ to James’ JUCO Recruiting challenges). He has the requisite measurables. He played HS ball in the midst of a Recruting ‘hotbed’ on a winning Team that made the GHSA Playoffs. He had quality HS videos, readily accessible by any & every school that wanted a QB, and he was obviously NCAA academically-qualified...so that really just leaves that EVERYONE (else) has been wrong in their evaluation of him out of HS AND/OR, he could be a late-bloomer, but I just don’t understand how he could have been fertilizing that bloom by NOT playing for the past 3 seasons...so, I don’t think it’s reasonable to assign that label to him just yet...maybe once we see him flowering and flourishing...but not just yet.

So, I think it comes down to EVERYONE (else) has been wrong and Coach Arth is a pure genius (which is quite possible)...or not...REALLY not. We have 2 seasons to find out which is the case.

EDIT: Became even more intrigued, so did some more research...although James does not appear on HCC’s 2016 web Roster, he did play for the Blue Dragons in ‘16. He was referred to in news articles as a transfer from Valdosta and he did win the Starting job at HCC to start the season. He started & played in Game 1, a win over Coffeyville CC...

PASSING
C-A
YDS
LG
TD
INT

11-24

RUSHING
ATT
YDS
AVG
LG
TD

...and he started & played in Game 2, a win over Iowa Western CC

PASSING
C-A
YDS
LG
TD
INT

7-20

RUSHING
ATT
YDS
AVG
LG
TD

...but he appears to have left that game with 12:30 left in the 3rd quarter after his final incompletion. They were off the following week, but this Tweet appeared the week after that...

https://twitter.com/brookskeltonr/status/777183439321640960?s=21

He did not play again in 2016 & mentions rehabbing for 5 months in a Hutchinson 2017 pre-season Video.

Here is his 2017 HCC Roster bio listing him as a Soph http://www.bluedragonsports.com/sports/fball/2017-18/bios/james_chris_b8sh - which I would take to mean, he did not get a Redshirt for 2016’s abbreviated season. Maybe Chatt listing him as a Soph is being presumptive that the NCAA will grant him a 6th year medical waiver.

Really hard to see/say if he was injured in 2017 as he only played in HCC’s 3rd (a 91-0 win),

PASSING
C-A
YDS
LG
TD
INT

0-3

RUSHING
ATT
YDS
AVG
LG
T

6th (a 42-14 win), looks like HCC’s Starter was out that game & James backed up his replacement

PASSING
C-A
YDS
LG
TD
INT

2-6

RUSHING
ATT
YDS
AVG
LG
TD

and 12th game (a 48-34 loss) - looks like he moved up to the Backup role & was used primarily to run the ball. Really hard to say as they used 3 QB’s in the 1st 3 plays...and James actually took the 1st down snap & ran it. The other 2 QB’s passed on their plays. So...technically, he was the Starter, I guess. He was their leading rusher in this game.

PASSING
C-A
YDS
LG
TD
INT

2-8

RUSHING
ATT
YDS
AVG
LG
TD

I can’t find anything about an injury in 2017. Just looks like he didn’t win back the job, but who knows.

Here’s a link to his Hutchinson stuff.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/7784494/Chris-James/videos

Looks to me like he has the physical tools. If Coach Arth deserves his QB Guru reputation, then he ought to be able to develop him & we may see that Cinderella Story. I would love it. I loved watching kids like Jacob Huesman & John Russ (also a Cinderella Story) play & if Mr. James success come to pass, I will be happy...as long as he loses 2 SoCon games each year. xnodx

Good research Fubear. I have to say he is an interesting member of our roster because, as you showed, his stats were less than impressive, yet I hear all sorts of praise for him. If he turns out to be a stud QB like we need him to be, Arth will deserve a lot of credit. If he isn't, and doesn't play or doesn't play well, it will be a scholarship that should have gone to a HS kid.

PaladinFan
July 27th, 2018, 06:51 AM
Good article in Times Free Press. Why Chattanooga's paper has better coverage of Furman football than Greenville's, I'll never understand.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2018/jul/26/expectations-high-furmfootball-program-again/475705/

A couple of interesting points:

1. Furman was a bit unconventional this year in that they got spring practice out of the way just about as early as you could. They were completely done by the last week in February. Hendrix offers that the reason was he wanted "uninterrupted" weight lifting starting March 1:

"I wanted uninterrupted lifting from March 1 through the spring," Hendrix said by phone Wednesday. "We just played so many young guys last year. I like a lot of the bodies we had, but they were immature bodies that needed to be in a college football program, a strength program. I thought we were knocked around a little bit sometimes last year against better teams, and I thought a good year in the weight room would change that, and I think it has.

2. He had some good comments on the uniqueness of Furman's offense, which mixes a lot of different elements from different offensive looks.

3. Also suggests there is at least a decent chance we will see Furman run a two QB system this season.

PaladinNation
July 27th, 2018, 07:52 AM
Looks to me that the "uninterrupted" weightlifting has changed some of those young bodies Clay was talking about.

Elijah McKoy signed in 2017 S/CB at 6-1 200. He'll start the season as 6-2 223 MIB chosen first team pre-season SoCon.

Some of the largest transformations:
Davonta Porter signed with Furman in 2017 as CB/FS 6-2 180. Porter has moved to OLB 6-2 220.
Jack Owen signed with Furman in 2016 FS 6-3 185. Owen is now at MIB 6-3 220.

Porter IMO will make some noise at OLB he started to see a lot of PT towards the end of the season I think he played most of the Wofford playoff game. Also had a legit offer from Clemson and chose the Dins.

Clay references this that they're emphasizing the frames on players that they can develop. Furman in the last several classes has raised they're height. Furman has two 6-7 offensive linemen, rare for Furman. Our starting safety will be 6-4. The D-LINE has always been a work in progress for a long time, Furman has struggled to recruit larger players as well as really struggled with depth on the d-line. J Reid is a solid NG 5-11 278 - a normal Furman NG, his backup SO Parker Stokes is the future anchor at 6-1 280. Incoming freshman Cameron Coleman (NG) is an example of Hendrix's goal of bigger, stronger, faster… he's shown up at camp at 6-3 285.

PaladinFan
July 27th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Porter IMO will make some noise at OLB he started to see a lot of PT towards the end of the season I think he played most of the Wofford playoff game. Also had a legit offer from Clemson and chose the Dins.

I expect Porter and Jordan Willis will occupy the hole left by Joe Farrar as the S/OLB Hybrid ("Spur") linebacker in Stagg's system.

Just my hypothesizing, but I think the distinct difference you will see in Furman's defense this year will be depth. Staggs plays an uptempo and attacking style of defense, and substitutes a lot of players. Furman's second string at many positions, I think, is going to be nearly as good as the first string. That's a huge luxury as Furman can substitute guys all game without seeing a drop off in production.

Furman notched 34 sacks last year with a bunch of fresh faces that progressively got better. They return 9 of 11 starters (and added a Clemson CB transfer), all of whom have another year in the system as well as the weight room. I'm expecting a strong effort this season

sudog03
July 27th, 2018, 10:23 AM
As a Samford fan, let me go on record saying that I think playing a 2 qb system is a fantastic idea for Furman. Surely Hendrix is smarter than that. Not that familiar with Furmans QB depth chart, but is this some ploy to keep a youngster from transferring before fall semester starts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
July 27th, 2018, 10:42 AM
As a Samford fan, let me go on record saying that I think playing a 2 qb system is a fantastic idea for Furman. Surely Hendrix is smarter than that. Not that familiar with Furmans QB depth chart, but is this some ploy to keep a youngster from transferring before fall semester starts?

I do not think so.

Roberts is a big (6'4 210) redshirt senior QB that has sat behind both Reese Hannon and PJ Blazejowski. Both of those guys played pretty extensively starting as freshmen. Roberts was Furman's QB2 last season and received sporadic playing time in mop up roles.

By my observations, he has a better arm than Blazejowski though is nowhere near as shifty. He's a big upright runner that has shown to be a tough guy to bring down once he gets moving. Reading Hendrix's comments, I presume that if Roberts were in the game, the QB keeper would be less a part of the offense.

Roberts throwing:

Roberts running:

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1019945043346329603

Jemar Lincoln is similar but different. Like Roberts, he's got a big arm. He comes from a big South Georgia high school where he seemed to "out-athlete" a lot of his competition. (see: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5328938/57e58cd890f99324981b9c7e)

Lincoln, just on film, is a far shiftier runner than Roberts. He's also younger, but spent last season calling plays from the sideline, so he's really at no disadvantage to a guy who is an older player. Of course, other than some limited action in the spring game, no Furman folks have really seen Lincoln play.

I personally don't think you'll see two QBs. Both guys have big arms and look like heady ball-control type QBs that can run Furman's offense. The real difference, in my view, is their running style. They are not so drastically different in their skills that you would assume that playing both would give you an advantage.

Besides, the biggest thing is the OL and run game. If the OL is opening holes for Dirks et al., it may not much matter who is playing QB. Furman needs a guy that is going to keep the train running on time and will limit turnovers. I feel comfortable with either guy.

PaladinNation
July 27th, 2018, 02:15 PM

Pre-season will be an interesting QB battle at Furman. Besides Harris and Lincoln, Furman brings in two more quarterbacks both were told they will get the chance to compete.

Hamp Sisson Mountain Brook HS — Sisson is a polished quarterback, it would not surprise me if he turned this into a real battle.
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4310270/59aedf6a4ba8730e3023baa2

Darren Granger from Conway HS — Granger is a lanky 6-4 185 QB, reminds many of us DINS fans of Richie Williams. I think Granger could really benefit from a redshirt year.

The good news is Furman has three quality dual-threat quarterbacks for the future. The scary thing is how are they going to keep these guys happy? I think Lincoln, Sisson, and Granger could be starters for any SoCon school.

FUBeAR
July 27th, 2018, 03:59 PM
I would think so as well. But curious if there will be much of a competition.So...I was reading the recent P&C article about 2018 being a pivotal year for Coach Thompson...I would use the word “critical” instead, but...anyway, that prompted me to want to take a deeper dive into who/what is returning for CIT this year & I was a bit surprised when I compared their most recent depth chart with their current roster. While the unexpected exodus of a number Players between 2016 & 2017 was rather well-publicized, I didn’t realize the bellhops also have a rather significant number of expected returnees from their 2017 depth chart who no longer appear on their online roster, particularly on Defense. I counted...

2 - 2nd Team OLinemen - a rising Sr. & Soph.
2 - 2nd Team DLinemen - a rising Soph & R-Soph
2 - Starting OLB’s - both rising Sr.’s & 1 of those also CIT’s top KO Returner
1 - 2nd Team OLB - a rising Soph
1 - 2nd Team CB - a rising Soph

So, 8 additional, unexpected losses off the 2-Deep; 6 of those on Defense. Add those 6 to the 7 ‘expected’ losses on the D 2-Deep and CIT is left with only 9 of their 2017 Top 22 on D returning this season.
* Only 3 of 8 in the Secondary, with 1 Starter.
* Only 4 of 8 LB’s, with 2 Starters
* Only 2 of 6 on the DL, but both of of those 2 are Returning Starters

Returning only 5 Starters on D isn’t great, but it’s not ‘the end of the world.’ On the other hand, only having 9 Players on the Defensive 2-Deep with any real college experience could be devastating in a “pivotal”...or maybe, “critical” season.

ElCid
July 27th, 2018, 04:16 PM
So...I was reading the recent P&C article about 2018 being a pivotal year for Coach Thompson...I would use the word “critical” instead, but...anyway, that prompted me to want to take a deeper dive into who/what is returning for CIT this year & I was a bit surprised when I compared their most recent depth chart with their current roster. While the unexpected exodus of a number Players between 2016 & 2017 was rather well-publicized, I didn’t realize the bellhops also have a rather significant number of expected returnees from their 2017 depth chart who no longer appear on their online roster, particularly on Defense. I counted...

2 - 2nd Team OLinemen - a rising Sr. & Soph.
2 - 2nd Team DLinemen - a rising Soph & R-Soph
2 - Starting OLB’s - both rising Sr.’s & 1 of those also CIT’s top KO Returner
1 - 2nd Team OLB - a rising Soph
1 - 2nd Team CB - a rising Soph

So, 8 additional, unexpected losses off the 2-Deep; 6 of those on Defense. Add those 6 to the 7 ‘expected’ losses on the D 2-Deep and CIT is left with only 9 of their 2017 Top 22 on D returning this season.
* Only 3 of 8 in the Secondary, with 1 Starter.
* Only 4 of 8 LB’s, with 2 Starters
* Only 2 of 6 on the DL, but both of of those 2 are Returning Starters

Returning only 5 Starters on D isn’t great, but it’s not ‘the end of the world.’ On the other hand, only having 9 Players on the Defensive 2-Deep with any real college experience could be devastating in a “pivotal”...or maybe, “critical” season.

Yes we lost a couple unexpectedly. Also got three 5th year transfer grad studs. That should stem some experience bleeding. But we have had some big turnover before and as I recall we have had some great D's after that regardless, so while I am concerned, I am not panicked at all. Besides if we keep the ball for 35-40 minutes a game, our D will at least be well rested.

Sandlapper Spike
July 27th, 2018, 04:35 PM
Three more SoCon schools add replay review capability:

https://postandcourier.com/sports/citadel-football-focuses-on-early-commitments-socon-teams-add-instant/article_12f7f616-9113-11e8-a341-b7fc96b27b06.html

That leaves Wofford, VMI, ETSU, and Chattanooga without replay.

sudog03
July 27th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Having watched Sisson several times in HS I would be shocked if he played this season and Furman end up with a winning record. Great kid, good athlete, but I think he requires some serious development. Personally, I would like to see him play S or OLB (with some more weight) in the right system.