PDA

View Full Version : Vandal recruiting

VandalBasher
December 21st, 2017, 02:26 PM
MOSCOW - 'Tis the season to be merry, especially if you're Paul Petrino.

Read more here:

http://lmtribune.com/sports/christmas-comes-early-for-vandals/article_662aa304-fc9a-5a1e-b3a6-e0e826c9cdd3.html

ursus arctos horribilis
December 21st, 2017, 03:40 PM
Hello VandalBasher and welcome to AGS. We do not publish other people's full articles here. The basic rule we go by is that a small portion of an article (no more than a paragraph usually) can be posted in a quote box then the link to the rest of the article.

I see that this is a pay site and why you were trying to make it easier on all of us. I appreciate the effort but would just as soon we don't take from another for our convenience here.

Is the information posted on the Vandal Athletic site? That might be a good link to use if you would like to post it up for us.

All that said, glad to have you here.xthumbsupx

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 21st, 2017, 07:26 PM
Some people.........it's like these new guys come in kick the door down, break windows and piss in the Ben & Jerrys triple coconut fudge ice creamand give your 2nd floor bathroom an upper decker before they steal your car and wreck it on the way out of town.

If only there was a word I could use to describe this kind of behavior................

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 21st, 2017, 07:27 PM
If only........

#GetEmUrsus
#DamnRenegades

VandalBasher
December 22nd, 2017, 10:31 AM
I guess that is why new users get 10 tries before full membership. Refinement will be slow with progress.

VandalBasher
December 23rd, 2017, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Even if I kicked in the door.

PantherRob82
December 23rd, 2017, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Even if I kicked in the door.

How did recruiting go for round one? Is the fan base split on FCS or coming around?

penguinpower
December 24th, 2017, 06:38 AM
you-da-hoe not Idaho. why you keep dissing me like dat?

kalm
December 24th, 2017, 07:33 AM
Some people.........it's like these new guys come in kick the door down, break windows and piss in the Ben & Jerrys triple coconut fudge ice creamand give your 2nd floor bathroom an upper decker before they steal your car and wreck it on the way out of town.

If only there was a word I could use to describe this kind of behavior................

Not bad.

But Ben Jerry's does not have an ice cream called that. They use clever witicisms like "Alpha is Almost Funny Swirl."

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 24th, 2017, 07:54 AM
Will Idaho become a conference contender right away?

kalm
December 24th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Will Idaho become a conference contender right away?

They finished 4-8 this year with relatively easy win against Sac State in the season opener. The Sun Belt was ranked just a few spots ahead of the Big Sky in Massey. As a team they finished with 6 BSC teams ranked ahead of them. To compete for the conference title next year would be an over-achievement, but possible. Looking at their most recent depth chart, they graduate their QB, Linehan, but only 3 other seniors. The junior class looks large so they should be returning some experience. I know they've been strong at RB and LB.

They have Florida and Fresno State on the schedule next year so I'd guess 5-6 to 8-3.

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/idaho/90682

PantherRob82
December 24th, 2017, 12:11 PM
They aren’t eligible for a few years, right?

katss07
December 24th, 2017, 05:03 PM
They are not playoff eligible right away I don’t think. What would happen if they won the conf. title but couldn’t participate?

JacksFan40
December 24th, 2017, 05:03 PM
They aren’t eligible for a few years, right?
I thought they're eligible immediately? I think the only time they deem teams ineligible is when they move up a division.

katss07
December 24th, 2017, 05:09 PM
I thought they're eligible immediately? I think the only time they deem teams ineligible is when they move up a division.
I think they have too many scholarships at the moment and will honor them even at the FCS level.

Catbooster
December 24th, 2017, 05:10 PM
I believe they are eligible as soon as they are down to 63 scholarships. There aren't different rules, admission standards, etc. like there are when changing from D-II to D-I.

Hammerhead
December 25th, 2017, 11:21 PM
They should stop recruiting to get down to 63 scholarships ASAP. :)

grizband
December 26th, 2017, 12:03 AM
I don't believe Idaho has operated at the full FBS scholarship level in a couple years. Thought I read any article somewhere that indicated they might be playoff eligible right away.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

wapiti
December 26th, 2017, 09:31 AM
I don't believe Idaho has operated at the full FBS scholarship level in a couple years. Thought I read any article somewhere that indicated they might be playoff eligible right away.

I too thought they are playoff eligible right away. and I expect them to contend right away too.

clenz
December 26th, 2017, 09:39 AM

They still had to have averaged 75 scholarships over their last couple years - per NCAA rules.

I know UNI won a head to had battle with Idaho for a WA WR/CB.

kalm
December 26th, 2017, 11:32 AM
They still had to have averaged 75 scholarships over their last couple years - per NCAA rules.

I know UNI won a head to had battle with Idaho for a WA WR/CB.

i don't know how many scholarship seniors they graduate but players sometimes leave the program for other reasons (injury concerns, transfers which in this case won't have sit out a year, etc). It seems like EWU loses several every off season. If they're willing to split a few schollies and find other financial assistance, they might be able to get close.

Vandal03
December 26th, 2017, 12:50 PM

You are correct. Idaho has been in the low 70s for scholarship numbers and some of the scholarships will become partial scholarships at the FCS level. The AD has said we will be at 63 scholarships. The biggest challenge to making the playoffs is the schedule. Idaho plays at Florida and Fresno State plus there are many really good BSC teams. I don't think there is much difference between upper and middle level teams in the Sun Belt and Big Sky. I think Idaho should make the playoffs, but it is not is not a guarantee.

JayMYou
December 26th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Oops, when I saw "Vandal recruiting" I assumed is was a Youngstown thread.

https://i.imgur.com/JdZbDDF.gif

katss07
December 26th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Tough thing for Idaho regionalization wise is they are in the west. Seems teams from the Big Sky are always in Fargo for round two. Anyway, hope that Idaho gets their scholarships down so they can compete. Would love to see playoff football at the Kibbie Dome (something I thought I would never say). Maybe you guys could make a trip to Sam to see how the top programs do it.

VandalBasher
December 26th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Tough thing for Idaho regionalization wise is they are in the west. Seems teams from the Big Sky are always in Fargo for round two. Anyway, hope that Idaho gets their scholarships down so they can compete. Would love to see playoff football at the Kibbie Dome (something I thought I would never say). Maybe you guys could make a trip to Sam to see how the top programs do it.

How is your recruiting going for 2018?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 27th, 2017, 12:21 PM
How is your recruiting going for 2018?

One more to go VBash. Here is a link in case it didn't get posted up btw.

MOSCOW, Idaho- Idaho football signed 12 student-athletes to National Letters of Intent Wednesday, the first day of the early signing period. The signing period runs through Friday. The regular signing period begins Feb. 7.

"This is a great class for us," said head coach Paul Petrino. "Our staff did a really good job of addressing our needs and finding great young men. We are excited for each of them to be part of our program."

http://www.govandals.com/news/2017/12/20/football-signing-day-central.aspx

VandalBasher
December 27th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Oops, when I saw "Vandal recruiting" I assumed is was a Youngstown thread.

https://i.imgur.com/JdZbDDF.gif

Brilliant response! We have actually done well in recent years not recruiting thugs that hurt the image of the program. Hopefully, this will continue because having a criminal element on any team destroys a very fragile foundation.