PDA

View Full Version : HC out at ETSU

ETSUfan1
December 8th, 2017, 11:47 AM
Carl Torbush has decided to retire. A new coaching search will begin immediately. Would be nice to have Jamie Chadwell back in the blue and gold…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
December 8th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Carl Torbush has decided to retire. A new coaching search will begin immediately. Would be nice to have Jamie Chadwell back in the blue and gold…

Do you think Chadwell would leave CCU since Moglia might step aside permanently due to medical ailments and allow Chadwell to run the program considering he is now the Co-HC?

ETSUfan1
December 8th, 2017, 12:25 PM
No idea if he would be interested or not. Chadwell is an alum, I guess we will find out if that matters to him or not

PaladinFan
December 8th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Sad day for Furman. The Paladins had pretty well spanked Torbush every time they saw him dating back to his days at UNC.

Here's hoping the Bucs raid someone else's coaching staff.

FormerPokeCenter
December 9th, 2017, 12:20 AM
Good Lord, I'm feeling old....Torbush recruited me when he was the LB coach at Louisiana Tech. I liked Tech, but I knew I probably didn't belong there on my recruiting trip. I was on the Tech sideline and cheered when Leonard Smith, my future McNeese teammate, intercepted a Tech pass in the game's opening drive, LOL.

I thought Torbush was a nice guy, though! ;)

Bill
December 9th, 2017, 02:15 PM
Poke,

I'm right there with you (feeling old).

I had some interaction with him & his staff when he was the DC at UNC - and I agree - was a nice guy, and didn't "big time" this little guy when he could have. xthumbsupx

whoanellie
December 9th, 2017, 07:08 PM
Bring back Paul Hamilton, they owe him that much.

Milktruck74
December 9th, 2017, 10:46 PM
Rumor is Spurrier wants to come home.

Reign of Terrier
December 9th, 2017, 10:51 PM
Rumor is Spurrier wants to come home.

wait, which spurrier?

FUBeAR
December 9th, 2017, 10:56 PM
ETSU has a former P5 Head Coach with a winning record in-house - http://www.etsubucs.com/athletics/staff/7063/mike-ocain/ - any chance he gets/takes the gig?

Milktruck74
December 9th, 2017, 11:21 PM
OCain is an easy answer, but he is a bit long in the tooth. I know D3 to FCS is a jump (and it was a rough season for my Mocs after doing so), but Mike Rader did quite well at Maryville and he would keep consistency in the program...and might be that younger spark.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 16th, 2017, 11:30 AM
I know Jamey Chadwell was my original first choice but given that he will most likely stay at Coastal Carolina, I will revise and extend my remarks regarding my nomination for head coach. I think ETSU should reach out to Tee Martin. I know he interviewed for the head coaching job at Georgia Southern and I know he spoke to the Phranchise about coming home in an OC/successor HC role. ETSU cannot go wrong with him and I would not be surprised if ETSU becomes an instant playoff contender if he comes. Do I hear a second?

FUBeAR
December 16th, 2017, 12:00 PM
I know Jamey Chadwell was my original first choice but given that he will most likely stay at Coastal Carolina, I will revise and extend my remarks regarding my nomination for head coach. I think ETSU should reach out to Tee Martin. I know he interviewed for the head coaching job at Georgia Southern and I know he spoke to the Phranchise about coming home in an OC/successor HC role. ETSU cannot go wrong with him and I would not be surprised if ETSU becomes an instant playoff contender if he comes. Do I hear a second?

USC is private, so their Coaching Salaries are not as readily available. But here's what Tee Martin's cross-town OC counterpart at UCLA was making this year...
2017 NCAAF ASSISTANT COACHES SALARIES

RK
SCHOOL
CONF
COACH
SCHOOL PAY
TOTAL PAY
MAX BONUS

UCLA (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant#)
Pac-12
Jedd Fisch (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant#)
$810,000
$810,000 (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant#)
$100,000

I would imagine Coach Tee Martin is making similar. Even with a 'hometown discount,' is ETSU ready to pony up around 3/4 of a mil for a Head Football Coach?

They were paying about 1/3 of that to Coach Torbush http://wjhl.com/2013/06/28/etsu-football-coach-to-make-240000-in-salary-and-stipends-gets-two-country-club-memberships/

ColonialInsider
December 16th, 2017, 08:19 PM
ETSU going big, apparently.

East Tennessee State (FCS): Source tells FootballScoop Florida State co-offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Randy Sanders is expected to become the new head coach at ETSU. Sanders, who played quarterback at Tennessee, coached 15+ seasons in Knoxville through 2005 before coaching quarterbacks and serving as offensive coordinator at Kentucky from 2006-2012. Sanders has been at Florida State since 2013 with Jimbo Fisher, being selected by his peers the Quarterbacks Coach of the Year in 2013.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

ETSUfan1
December 17th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Huge get

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 17th, 2017, 11:19 AM
I heard Sanders was in the running the first time around but he just got the job at Florida State. I like the hire and here's hoping we become part of "the conversation" regarding conference title/playoffs soon.

PaladinFan
December 17th, 2017, 12:52 PM
I heard Sanders was in the running the first time around but he just got the job at Florida State. I like the hire and here's hoping we become part of "the conversation" regarding conference title/playoffs soon.

I don’t have a good read on what their timetable is to compete. ETSU has some talent, but from my seats they were a bit of a one trick pony in 2017. They seemed only as good as Herink would take them bolstered by a decent defense not good enough to bail out a poor offensive showing.

The Bucs had some good showings this year, but talent-wise still seem to be well behind the top teams in the conference.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 17th, 2017, 02:21 PM
I don’t have a good read on what their timetable is to compete. ETSU has some talent, but from my seats they were a bit of a one trick pony in 2017. They seemed only as good as Herink would take them bolstered by a decent defense not good enough to bail out a poor offensive showing.

The Bucs had some good showings this year, but talent-wise still seem to be well behind the top teams in the conference.

As to the offensive side of the ball, I believe coaching and development was an issue I had with the Torbush regime. I was actually not a fan of the Torbush hire to begin with since he has never been a head coach since UNC in 2000 (prior to ETSU) but I supported him and the team anyways. Next season will be the first time ETSU has four scholarship classes playing so I am hoping for better results with Sanders. I am not saying we will run roughshod over everybody next season but I do believe we will experience a bump similar to what you experienced this season when you hired Hendrix.

SU DOG
December 17th, 2017, 05:21 PM
I think ETSU just made an outstanding hire. Sanders' roots in eastern Tenn. should be a nice advantage for him. CONGRATS Bucs!!!

Milktruck74
December 18th, 2017, 06:14 AM
Between Morristown, Greeneville, JC, KPT and Bristol (not so much Bristol), there is plenty of FCS level talent. Sanders should be able to lock this area down and head to ATL and lean on his Florida contacts....talent shouldn't be an issue. Good luck Bucs, I'll be pulling for you every week but one!!!!!

PaladinFan
December 18th, 2017, 06:55 AM
As to the offensive side of the ball, I believe coaching and development was an issue I had with the Torbush regime. I was actually not a fan of the Torbush hire to begin with since he has never been a head coach since UNC in 2000 (prior to ETSU) but I supported him and the team anyways. Next season will be the first time ETSU has four scholarship classes playing so I am hoping for better results with Sanders. I am not saying we will run roughshod over everybody next season but I do believe we will experience a bump similar to what you experienced this season when you hired Hendrix.

Torbush gave ETSU some immediate name recognition and credibility, which is really what you want with a new and upcoming program. He was not the guy you wanted to carry the team into their next stage.

The "Hendrix bump" is sort of unique phenomena and really even hard to explain. Hendrix is a really good coach and tapped into some hidden talent on Furman's roster. He is also well familiar with Furman's recruiting area, having often recruited against the Paladins for the AFA in the deep south.

I think one thing that Hendrix did immediately was hire some really good coaches. George Quarles was among the most successful HS coaches in the country. Chad Staggs ran a highly successful defense at Charleston Southern. He went and brought in younger former Air Force players who could immediately come in and establish the type of culture he was looking to create.

Did Sanders keep the ETSU assistants?

ETSUfan1
December 18th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Hasn’t announced that yet. He still going to coach the bowl game at Florida State. Pretty odd to have two jobs at once.

jmufan999
December 18th, 2017, 08:16 AM
really liked Torbush. seemed like a really good guy, i certainly wish him well.