PDA

View Full Version : Quarterfinal: Wofford @ NDSU

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

cx500d
December 5th, 2017, 09:57 PM
Thats where I was headed.........and the Bison ran the veer. xlolx

He was a 2nd round NFL draft pick as a WR from a Division 2 team that ran the option....Thats saying something, I guess.

TennBison
December 5th, 2017, 10:17 PM
Other than an occasional slot guy like Smith, can you name the last time the Bison had a WR capable of being a true downfield threat?
Is there a waterboy on our team that plays WR ?

centennial
December 5th, 2017, 10:30 PM
I was hoping Desmond Cain would be the guy with RJ that could give teams trouble.

TennBison
December 5th, 2017, 10:31 PM
Stacy Robinson?
It has always bothered me that NDSU has been stereotyped with not being able to get very good players at some offensive positions based on the type of offense we run. They say, NDSU will not get a very good passing QB or WR because we are a run first and run often type of offense. Well I say BS, Brock Jensen and Carson Wentz have just recently proven the QB portion of that wrong. So why not the WR position. Sure, if you were a #1 WR on our team AND you had very good speed and separation you could get 5-6 balls a game. Not like Texas Tech or Oregon, but you would be the main guy and get all the attention. Imagine Zach Vraa being able to run a 4.3 or 4.4 with his hands. Yards per game yeah maybe 100 (good but not spectacular), but yards per catch (20) and TDs (1-2 per game average), that is what the pros see. Stats like those get you drafted high in the NFL, and NDSU is able to get that to a good fast receiver who can separate from defenders, if we had one

gofurman
December 5th, 2017, 10:35 PM
100% chance if I'm a competitor, I'm making Stick beat me. Biggest question mark by far....doesn't have the physical ability of a Wentz....but does he have ice in his veins like Jensen? He needs to manage the game and not try to be "#11".

“making Stick beat me”

That’s what Wofford did and was able to do v Furman. NOT saying Furman is NDSU. Just that was obviously the Woff plan v Furman and I bet vs NDSU too. Stop the run and see if the QB can beat them numerous times. And Woff has a great DL and LBs that help that plan. One thing to say it. Another to do it. I suspect NDSU OL is vastly better than Furmans as we are just getting back. I’ll be v interested to watch the trenches. Woff DL is better than their OL. Both are good but their DL is playing better. IE, pretty sure v Furman Woff gained about 390 yds? So not earth shattering. But they held Furman to about 300 yards. Strong D

The kicker, as you know, is Furman knows option D seeing Wofford and Citadel both run it. If you haven’t seen it during year it can be maddening to learn to defend in a one week time.

Triple option O is an advantage in playoffs as it is unique.

Did any of NDSU opponents run option or option type offense ??

TennBison
December 5th, 2017, 10:37 PM
I have said it before and I will say it again. Our passing game needs to be TE dominant. 50-60% of the pass plays to a TE. And 60-70% of the pass plays need to start with QB under center and out of pass option (gotta make the defense think we are running). We should hardly be doing any shotgun formations.

TennBison
December 5th, 2017, 10:46 PM
“making Stick beat me”

That’s what Wofford did and was able to do v Furman. NOT saying Furman is NDSU. Just that was obviously the Woff plan v Furman and I bet vs NDSU too. Stop the run and see if the QB can beat them numerous times. And Woff has a great DL and LBs that help that plan. One thing to say it. Another to do it. I suspect NDSU OL is vastly better than Furmans as we are just getting back. I’ll be v interested to watch the trenches. Woff DL is better than their OL. Both are good but their DL is playing better. IE, pretty sure v Furman Woff gained about 390 yds? So not earth shattering. But they held Furman to about 300 yards. Strong D

The kicker, as you know, is Furman knows option D seeing Wofford and Citadel both run it. If you haven’t seen it during year it can be maddening to learn to defend in a one week time.

Triple option O is an advantage in playoffs as it is unique.

Did any of NDSU opponents run option or option type offense ??
I can't think of any teams we played this year that run Triple O, or even any Option offense for that matter. But the coaches have all seen it so have most of the players. True though, it is a whole new type of offense for the defense to prep for. But I hear the players are all practicing on their Playstations with Madden Football, so all should be fine.

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2017, 10:47 PM
I can't think of any teams we played this year that run Triple O, or even any Option offense for that matter. But the coaches have all seen it so have most of the players. True though, it is a whole new type of offense for the defense to prep for. But I hear the players are all practicing on their Playstations with Madden Football, so all should be fine.

Purple is for Bisonville.....not gonna work here. xlolx

centennial
December 5th, 2017, 10:53 PM
I have said it before and I will say it again. Our passing game needs to be TE dominant. 50-60% of the pass plays to a TE. And 60-70% of the pass plays need to start with QB under center and out of pass option (gotta make the defense think we are running). We should hardly be doing any shotgun formations.

Good post. I completely agree with under center.

TheKingpin28
December 5th, 2017, 11:03 PM
I can only hope Messingham has dropped the zone read and gone back to more of a pro-set offense. Every time I see Stick trying to run that, I shake my head.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2017, 06:04 AM
This NDSU team with no injuries could've possibly close to the best defense ever in the FCS.

However that's not the case. Still name me one other team at this level that can maintain the success with 8-10 players injured (some of them AA and All Conference type players).

None.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2017, 06:12 AM
I can only hope Messingham has dropped the zone read and gone back to more of a pro-set offense. Every time I see Stick trying to run that, I shake my head.

He seems to like that formation just like Polasek did....:(

I love the play action pass out of the pro set or under center. I'm sure Mess uses the read option formations to utilize ES's speed.

IMO, NDSU should pass the ball (short passing game) to open up the running game. Wofford will plug the middle to try and stop power so use the passing game to back off the safeties. USD did it last week. Ty might be huge in this game because he can change direction so fast and bounce it outside if the middle is jammed.

DL rotation that the Bison use will really help. If they (DL) keep the OL off the LBs, I really like the Bison's chances, in fact, they will win this by 2 TDs or more if the LBs are cleaning up the QB and pitch man w/o OL hanging on them. Pus our DL is quick which will help fight off those cut blocks from Wofford's OL.

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2017, 07:26 AM
The read option has it's place but I agree that they use it too much sometimes. Last week Stick's 60 yard TD run came out of the delta formation and his first TD pass to Wilson also came out of the read option set. But if you read Ross Uglems film breakdown or look through his Twitter feed from Saturday night you'll notice a lot of the big runs from the RBs last Saturday came when Stick was under center. I may be oversimplifying it but it just seems like the backs are so much more explosive getting the handoff at nearly full speed when the QB is under center vs at a standstill when standing next to the QB in the shotgun. Hopefully they keep mixing it up and don't fall too much in love with the read option look.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2017, 07:28 AM
The read option has it's place but I agree that they use it too much sometimes. Last week Stick's 60 yard TD run came out of the delta formation and his first TD pass to Wilson also came out of the read option set. But if you read Ross Uglems film breakdown or look through his Twitter feed from Saturday night you'll notice a lot of the big runs from the RBs last Saturday came when Stick was under center. I may be oversimplifying it but it just seems like the backs are so much more explosive getting the handoff at nearly full speed when the QB is under center vs at a standstill when standing next to the QB in the shotgun. Hopefully they keep mixing it up and don't fall too much in love with the read option look.

What is the Delta formation? the triangle?

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2017, 07:32 AM
What is the Delta formation? the triangle?
Yep, 3 RBs in the game. Stick lines up in the shotgun with an RB on either side and one behind him and usually results in read option action where Stick will give, keep, or throw it.

This was the play out of that formation last week that I was alluding to:

https://twitter.com/RossUglem/status/937347265668169729

Puts a lot of pressure on the LBs to make the right read. In this case their first step was to the dive and it opened up a lane for a 50 yard Stick TD run.

Terrier19
December 6th, 2017, 07:33 AM
Yep, 3 RBs in the game. Stick lines up in the shotgun with an RB on either side and one behind him and usually results in read option action where Stick will give, keep, or throw it.

We use this formation often.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2017, 07:39 AM

nice, I think I saw 4 Def players bight on that, Bison fans complaining about Stick is pretty funny

three years ago, seeing Delaware had no QB and 3 good RB's, I tried to get them to use this formation and call it the Delaware Diamond (The Diamond State) they didn't listen of course, but at least the dumb coach got fired....:D

dewey
December 6th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Other than an occasional slot guy like Smith, can you name the last time the Bison had a WR capable of being a true downfield threat?

Warren Holloway, Zach Vraa and RJ Urzendowski.

Dewey

Reign of Terrier
December 6th, 2017, 07:53 AM
A couple things, just based upon the comments of the last 2-3 pages:

1) Wofford is running zone coverage, don't expect man. That's just who we are. Don't expect anything different. Our defense may look like a 3-4, but it's really a multiple 50, which means in theory our two outside linebackers are actually DL (they aren't...but still) which kinds of shows our hand at the zone tendencies we do. Think about it, if you were running a defense with 5 DL, you would probably use one of them in zone coverage every other play, switch it up, etc while deviating between rushing 3 and 4. That's basically what Wofford does.

2) It's been cited that NDSU may not block so well on the perimeter. That could be big. One thing we definitely do better than we did in the last meeting is our corners attack on the perimeter like heat-seeking missiles. As a matter of fact, I remember my first impression of Wofford last year in the first game was that our DBs flew to the ball better than I had ever seen (that time table is important because that was our first year out of the wilderness and the same players back now). So, if blocking on the perimeter is a problem for NDSU, I'd be concerned, because Wofford just had a good day against one of the best perimeter blocking teams in the country (but NDSU's blocking schemes are going to be different I would guess, see #4)

3)I'm trying to unscientifically figure out in my head the difference between this team and 2012 on defense (I've kind of demonstrated it with the offense via stats earlier). We're definitely more deep than we have been on defense, but especially in the secondary. We had an all conference corner quit the team in his 5th year last year because he didn't make the two deep. Overall, I feel safe in saying that our safeties/linebackers are a touch more athletic than they were in 2012 (if only a touch) and what DL we have that are similar size are more athletic and those with similar athleticism are of bigger size. We're deeper across the board

4) Wofford doesn't stop the run by "clogging the middle" so to speak. As already mentioned, size and athleticism is what makes our DL different this year (and last year FWIW) from years prior. We stop the run not by loading the box but by our linebackers doing a read and respond sort of deal. What's made this year's run defense better than year's prior is that our DL have stepped up and disrupted things in obvious running downs (3rd/4th and one) and made a play. We're just stronger than normal, it seems, and if you look at the Furman film/highlight tape, that's the thing that jumps out at you. Now, I don't think that necessarily translates to Wofford shutting down NDSU. MVFC offenses are different (for instance, Youngstown State last year ran all over the field on us--over 200 yards when we quite literally never allow that to happen to non-option teams). I expect MVFC teams/NDSU to do a lot more downhill running with a fullback. Socon teams don't really do that. The only teams in the socon that come to mind that do that are maybe UTC, ETSU and Mercer, but really the majority of snaps in the socon either come with one back in the backfield or out of the shotgun.

So basically, I think if NDSU tries to run at us like a battering ram between tackles, they are more likely to be successful, but even then it's not a given due to the strength of our DL. But if NDSU tries to finesse us using angles, I don't think they'll be as successful.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2017, 07:54 AM
Warren Holloway, Zach Vraa and RJ Urzendowski.

Dewey

I'm thinking the Bison passing will be the biggest problem for Wofford this Saturday, noise comes in a close second

Terrier19
December 6th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Any offense that NDSU that uses a full house backfield or multiple backs in the backfield, I completely support. I trust in our DL and our LB's in those situations against any team. And I would rather those results, leaving our back end to only have to worry about 2-3 receiver routes than the flip side, being 4 receivers and a back to worry about. Our D Line and LB's will hold up all game IMO, I just know how we play soft zone coverage and leave opportunities to teams that are very patient and willing to dink and dunk all game. We frustrate most teams as offenses aren't able to get the big payday on explosive plays against us typically. We mostly force you to grind out minimal gains on the ground and live with underneath routes where we fly to the ball and tackle in space very well.

The key to this game IMO, will be 2 fold. The use of the Tight End's by NDSU and our subsequent ability to have them in our scopes at all times. And how effective we allow Stick to be in his play action, Run Pass Option opportunities. He can hurt teams that underestimate his running ability. Keep him under wraps and be dialed in on the Tight Ends will give us our best shot IMO.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Any offense that NDSU that uses a full house backfield or multiple backs in the backfield, I completely support. I trust in our DL and our LB's in those situations against any team. And I would rather those results, leaving our back end to only have to worry about 2-3 receiver routes than the flip side, being 4 receivers and a back to worry about. Our D Line and LB's will hold up all game IMO, I just know how we play soft zone coverage and leave opportunities to teams that are very patient and willing to dink and dunk all game. We frustrate most teams as offenses aren't able to get the big payday on explosive plays against us typically. We mostly force you to grind out minimal gains on the ground and live with underneath routes where we fly to the ball and tackle in space very well.

The key to this game IMO, will be 2 fold. The use of the Tight End's by NDSU and our subsequent ability to have them in our scopes at all times. And how effective we allow Stick to be in his play action, Run Pass Option opportunities. He can hurt teams that underestimate his running ability. Keep him under wraps and be dialed in on the Tight Ends will give us our best shot IMO.

Furman was having some success throwing the ball on you in the first half, in fact it looked easy. Having said that, I only saw the first half, obviously they didn't score any points in the second half so some adjustments must of been made

Terrier19
December 6th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Furman was having some success throwing the ball on you in the first half, in fact it looked easy. Having said that, I only saw the first half, obviously they didn't score any points in the second half so some adjustments must of been made

Every team looks like they are throwing the ball with ease against us. Furman throws the ball very well, and has a strong offense. But it is predicated with the Run first. They ran for 57 yards for the game, averaging 240+ per game over the season. There was where the game was won / lost. Furman has a great offense really. Allowing 260 yards of passing in that game was solid considering how we shut down the run. The yards had to come from somewhere for them....

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2017, 09:09 AM

That's fair. I'm sure NDSU will try to run plenty because it's not in their DNA to be a passing team. That said, I'm sure Wofford's defense is going to be challenged regardless since NDSU is averaging nearly 6 yards per carry as a team this year but it's a smart strategy by the Wofford defense to try to force NDSU into playing to Wofford's strengths defensively.... and I'm sure NDSU won't have qualms about calling plays that do that.

centennial
December 6th, 2017, 09:15 AM

NDSU is build on being patient. Also probably uses the most pro set, multiple look formations in the FCS. One snap we look like an NFL team, next snap like NIU, next like a power run team. That will be the biggest challenge for Wofford.

Terrier19
December 6th, 2017, 09:26 AM
That's fair. I'm sure NDSU will try to run plenty because it's not in their DNA to be a passing team. That said, I'm sure Wofford's defense is going to be challenged regardless since NDSU is averaging nearly 6 yards per carry as a team this year but it's a smart strategy by the Wofford defense to try to force NDSU into playing to Wofford's strengths defensively.... and I'm sure NDSU won't have qualms about calling plays that do that.

Oh by no means do we feel that we are just going to stone NDSU all game long. But our strength is at the LOS and the tacklers at LB. And from watching years and years of us play soft zone coverage in the secondary and allow short to intermediate passes underneath, I just know we aren't changing our identity in a week's time. We are who we are, a rock solid front 7 that tried to make teams be as 1 dimensional as possible by committing to shutting down the run and making teams get unbalanced in their attack and look to cause a couple turnovers along the way.

I have no disillusion that we are coming in and shutting down the powerful NDSU attack completely. But I do feel that our front 7 is as good as there is in the FCS, and feel like that is our best opportunity as a position group win. I think Coach Ayers said as much in the NDSU Luncheon.

Terrier19
December 6th, 2017, 09:29 AM
NDSU is build on being patient. Also probably uses the most pro set, multiple look formations in the FCS. One snap we look like an NFL team, next snap like NIU, next like a power run team. That will be the biggest challenge for Wofford.

I would challenge you to look at Furman in that regards to this season as well. Clay Hendrix (Furman Coach) uses an ungodly amount of looks and movement to effectively run about 7-8 plays. All in all, I think playing Furman last week certainly helps in some regards in playing such a multiple look offense. Obvioulsy the personnel isn't the same.

Reign of Terrier
December 6th, 2017, 09:37 AM
I have no idea how well we'll play NDSU's run game. It's gonna be the key to the game.

On one hand, if you told me we'll hold them below 100 yards, that wouldn't surprise me given how we played Furman this past week. On the other, if you told me they ran for 250 on us, that wouldn't surprise me either because there's precedent for that when we play an MVFC team in Youngstown last year. Wofford may be built like a Valley team with a strong run defense and offense who likes to run the ball, but that doesn't mean we are habituated to seeing teams run like the way valley teams do.

I will say, if Wofford holds NDSU to the level of success Furman had running the ball, I think we win. But that is a yuge if.

Terrier19
December 6th, 2017, 09:42 AM
I will go ahead and say we more than likely will not hold NDSU anywhere close to how we did Furman. Mainly due to the NDSU line. Furman was still a young line, and the experience and size of the NDSU line combined with the skill of the backs will yield more results. And it will more than likely be closer to Youngstown, but that being said, for as successful as Youngstown was, we still frustrated them on defense, and we got off the field plenty in that game. We lost that game on clock mismanagement in the end of that game. That is what I expect, and I am looking to see if we put ourselves in that position again, can we Finish like we did not do last season. Our defense will hold up fine in this game IMO, but will we be able to capitalize on our opportunities.

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2017, 09:42 AM
I have no idea how well we'll play NDSU's run game. It's gonna be the key to the game.

On one hand, if you told me we'll hold them below 100 yards, that wouldn't surprise me given how we played Furman this past week. On the other, if you told me they ran for 250 on us, that wouldn't surprise me either because there's precedent for that when we play an MVFC team in Youngstown last year. Wofford may be built like a Valley team with a strong run defense and offense who likes to run the ball, but that doesn't mean we are habituated to seeing teams run like the way valley teams do.

I will say, if Wofford holds NDSU to the level of success Furman had running the ball, I think we win. But that is a yuge if.
I agree if Wofford holds NDSU below 100 yards rushing I think Wofford wins.

It'll be fun to watch. Strength on strength and one side is going to be uncharacteristically beaten. I hope it's the Wofford run defense but it could be the NDSU run game.

Terrier19
December 6th, 2017, 09:46 AM
I agree if Wofford holds NDSU below 100 yards rushing I think Wofford wins.

It'll be fun to watch. Strength on strength and one side is going to be uncharacteristically beaten. I hope it's the Wofford run defense but it could be the NDSU run game.

Obviously we do not have a crystal ball and could be completely off base.....that being said, I think a game similar to Youngstown last season. A game that will see plenty of success, but a game of frustration on both sides, that will not get the same successes as games past. And it will come down to critical moments of making the big play, or the turnover that sway the game a direction.

I am pumped for this one. I truly am looking forward to seeing the war of the trenches as a college football fan. Strength on Strength. I think that has some special dynamics written all over it.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Obviously we do not have a crystal ball and could be completely off base.....that being said, I think a game similar to Youngstown last season. A game that will see plenty of success, but a game of frustration on both sides, that will not get the same successes as games past. And it will come down to critical moments of making the big play, or the turnover that sway the game a direction.

I am pumped for this one. I truly am looking forward to seeing the war of the trenches as a college football fan. Strength on Strength. I think that has some special dynamics written all over it.

or some good ole fashioned Bison playoff home cooking, meaning look for Wofford to break off a long TD run early in the game only to see a yellow flag float down after the play.... camera pans to Ayers who will have a look of disbelieve, this scenario has played out before in the Fargo Dome

BNATION
December 6th, 2017, 10:00 AM
I will have to agree with this... Seems to happen a lot with them in general. i remember in the second title game, we had two touchdown runs called back for ticky tack backside holding calls. but when you are as good as they have been you definitely get the benefit of the doubt i think.

or some good ole fashioned Bison playoff home cooking, meaning look for Wofford to break off a long TD run early in the game only to see a yellow flag float down after the play.... camera pans to Ayers who will have a look of disbelieve, this scenario has played out before in the Fargo Dome

BNATION
December 6th, 2017, 10:07 AM

I am pumped for this one. I truly am looking forward to seeing the war of the trenches as a college football fan. Strength on Strength. I think that has some special dynamics written all over it. What are the keys for a W victory?

Bison56
December 6th, 2017, 10:10 AM
What are the keys for a W victory?

#1 key would be to pay the refs more than NDSU.

Green1
December 6th, 2017, 10:22 AM
#1 key would be to pay the refs more than NDSU.

It would have to be quite a bit more with the refs having family here in North Dakota. It would make an uncomfortable Xmas dinner for those refs.

BNATION
December 6th, 2017, 10:26 AM
I'm working on some dirt currently should we see you guys in the semis. I am trying to figure out who has girlfriends and wives... A little extortion, for a couple PI calls.

It would have to be quite a bit more with the refs having family here in North Dakota. It would make an uncomfortable Xmas dinner for those refs.

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Like when?

I will have to agree with this... Seems to happen a lot with them in general. i remember in the second title game, we had two touchdown runs called back for ticky tack backside holding calls. but when you are as good as they have been you definitely get the benefit of the doubt i think.
I could name plenty of bad calls that went against the Bison in playoff games they won too.

EDIT: Looking back at the play-by-play of that game (http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=330052534) I see two 1 yard runs and one 7 yard run wiped out by holding penalties on SHSU and that's it.

BisonBacker
December 6th, 2017, 11:11 AM

When was this?

Terrier19
December 6th, 2017, 11:17 AM

Good question. I am not sure that we are qualified to say for sure. Potentially, our best may not be good enough. But, the keys for Wofford's success over the last couple of seasons that have landed us in back to back quarterfinals have been the same. Run the ball effectively, stifle the opponents run game, limit possessions by running ball control offense and of course win the Turnover battle. And we are this way regardless of opponent. There are obviously personnel groupings to watch that are different for each team but by and large, we are the same team week in and week out regardless of competition. And you can see some of that with our scores in games. We do not blow teams out as that isn't a concern of ours. If we are up a score or 2, we will simply work the clock and limit your ability to get back in the game. It can backfire at times and is frustrating at times as we have the capacity to quick strike teams and step on an opponents throat, but often times we haven't.

TheKingpin28
December 6th, 2017, 11:18 AM
He seems to like that formation just like Polasek did....:(

I love the play action pass out of the pro set or under center. I'm sure Mess uses the read option formations to utilize ES's speed.

IMO, NDSU should pass the ball (short passing game) to open up the running game. Wofford will plug the middle to try and stop power so use the passing game to back off the safeties. USD did it last week. Ty might be huge in this game because he can change direction so fast and bounce it outside if the middle is jammed.

DL rotation that the Bison use will really help. If they (DL) keep the OL off the LBs, I really like the Bison's chances, in fact, they will win this by 2 TDs or more if the LBs are cleaning up the QB and pitch man w/o OL hanging on them. Pus our DL is quick which will help fight off those cut blocks from Wofford's OL.

It would be nice if he would use the read option to hit the TE's more often, but they do not do that. They fake out the PA which is generally open to get what 1 to 2 yards? As PC alluded to (xlolx) the delta formation is fine, but stick with pro-set/power I football. As we have all stated, the winner of this game will be decided by Stick/Messingham and we all have seen what happens when things are rolling (EWU/USeD) and we have all seen what happen when things are tanking (SDSU). I get why they enjoy the RO, but it is too gimicky and requires a QB who can make a split second decision, and that is something that Stick, IMO does not have. He see's his first and only read and sticks with it or makes a horrible throw with time in the pocket to his second read. He does not view the field and go from there. As was stated earlier, he is trying to be #11 instead of being what he is good at, #12.

Reign of Terrier
December 6th, 2017, 11:44 AM

Simple on paper, complex in execution.

>break even/win the turnover battle
>stop the run
>Stick has no better than an average game
>keep it low scoring
>be efficient on offense

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2017, 11:55 AM
When was this?

First quarter?

BB, do you remember what you ate for dinner last night? haha

Terrier19
December 6th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Quick story about the class of some of the NDSU folks. I had posted on Twitter our excitement in the opportunity to play NDSU and for all of our folks that cannot attend the game to make sure the DVR was set on ESPN2 on SAturday at 12:00. Well, lets just say that a few overzealous NDSU fans felt some type of way about that post. I assume they felt it was some form of attack, shrugs, or slant. But long story short, I was reached out to through social media by not only other NDSU fans, but also a couple parents and even a player of NDSU. The folks were all so complimentary of Wofford and our program and how much respect they have for our program and they didn't agree or align with those that were a bit over the top. I have been in convo with the player and his father and the other fans and its just an example of the class of the program in general. I promise to follow this kid as his career continues regardless of the outcome of our game. And just wanted to give a salute to those fans and supporters of NDSU, by and large, just a first class group truly. They have voiced nothing but complimentary dialogue and support for even my son who plays for Wofford. Class Class Class

Reign of Terrier
December 6th, 2017, 12:11 PM
I will say this: NDSU fans are a lot nicer this time around than they were last time. You'd think they'd be a little more full of themselves

Terrier19
December 6th, 2017, 12:18 PM
I will say this: NDSU fans are a lot nicer this time around than they were last time. You'd think they'd be a little more full of themselves

There were a few like that trust me....but the overwhelming response after they saw the aforementioned....isn't even close. I will say this, the young man that reached out to me that plays for NDSU has earned himself a fan going forward. I promise that. I will absolutely root for him.

BisonBacker
December 6th, 2017, 12:20 PM
First quarter?

BB, do you remember what you ate for dinner last night? haha

I sure do. I didn't eat xlolx

BNATION
December 6th, 2017, 12:23 PM
Quick story about the class of some of the NDSU folks. I had posted on Twitter our excitement in the opportunity to play NDSU and for all of our folks that cannot attend the game to make sure the DVR was set on ESPN2 on SAturday at 12:00. Well, lets just say that a few overzealous NDSU fans felt some type of way about that post. I assume they felt it was some form of attack, shrugs, or slant. But long story short, I was reached out to through social media by not only other NDSU fans, but also a couple parents and even a player of NDSU. The folks were all so complimentary of Wofford and our program and how much respect they have for our program and they didn't agree or align with those that were a bit over the top. I have been in convo with the player and his father and the other fans and its just an example of the class of the program in general. I promise to follow this kid as his career continues regardless of the outcome of our game. And just wanted to give a salute to those fans and supporters of NDSU, by and large, just a first class group truly. They have voiced nothing but complimentary dialogue and support for even my son who plays for Wofford. Class Class Class Although a contingent of them can be obnoxious ;) , i will say every time we have played them and I've met them in person they are great. Like to drink beer, eat, talk ****, and cheer on their football team. No difference from the rest of us, besides winning 5 in a row :( ....

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2017, 12:28 PM
No doubt Bison fans are a classy bunch, considering they have won 5 of the last 6 National Championships. No fan base should be judged by a message board.

Schism55
December 6th, 2017, 01:00 PM
That exact scenario has never gone against NDSU right? Oh wait, it happened this season.
You look like a whiny baby when you makes ****ty posts like this.

Bison56
December 6th, 2017, 01:01 PM

I'm stuffed.:D

DirtyDukes
December 6th, 2017, 01:02 PM
I had a dream last night that I didn't bet on the outcome of SHSU/KSU but KSU was up 10 in the 4th. I was at that game and bummed I didn't bet. I also had bet like $500 that Wofford would beat NDSU but that game hadn't been played yet. It was a weird dream.

Bison56
December 6th, 2017, 01:02 PM
That exact scenario has never gone against NDSU right? Oh wait, it happened this season.

Don't judge all Delaware fans by this message board, most are friendly and intelligent.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2017, 01:08 PM

not in the playoffs

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2017, 01:29 PM
not in the playoffs
Your memory is really bad.

https://youtu.be/7Z84uBCxfeU?t=51m42s

Lorne_Malvo
December 6th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Quick story about the class of some of the NDSU folks. I had posted on Twitter our excitement in the opportunity to play NDSU and for all of our folks that cannot attend the game to make sure the DVR was set on ESPN2 on SAturday at 12:00. Well, lets just say that a few overzealous NDSU fans felt some type of way about that post. I assume they felt it was some form of attack, shrugs, or slant. But long story short, I was reached out to through social media by not only other NDSU fans, but also a couple parents and even a player of NDSU. The folks were all so complimentary of Wofford and our program and how much respect they have for our program and they didn't agree or align with those that were a bit over the top. I have been in convo with the player and his father and the other fans and its just an example of the class of the program in general. I promise to follow this kid as his career continues regardless of the outcome of our game. And just wanted to give a salute to those fans and supporters of NDSU, by and large, just a first class group truly. They have voiced nothing but complimentary dialogue and support for even my son who plays for Wofford. Class Class Class

The twitter idiot was probably lakes. Sorry you were subjected to his idiocy.

dewey
December 6th, 2017, 01:44 PM
The officiating crew for this weekends game is a Big Sky crew.

Here is a link to Sound Cloud and The Insiders Show on Bison 1660 am.
https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/tracks

Dewey

dewey
December 6th, 2017, 01:44 PM

I would bet you are right.

Dewey

Terrier19
December 6th, 2017, 01:47 PM
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20171206111457107179104&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

BNATION
December 6th, 2017, 01:47 PM

Hahaha Lakes. Now that name will live forever in infamy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonTru
December 6th, 2017, 02:00 PM

Thanks for sharing. We have a few internet warriors that have to "pimp" NDSU and usually run down any competition. The players, coaches, and majority of fans are class acts as I'm sure your program is as well.

If any Terrior fans are making the trip wonder the lots proudly. You'll get a lot more offers to have beer or food than any smack.

Reign of Terrier
December 6th, 2017, 02:07 PM
What's funny is that Lakes Bison is on terrier fans and he's been pretty nice. I've heard things about him but haven't seen it first hand

TheKingpin28
December 6th, 2017, 02:19 PM
What's funny is that Lakes Bison is on terrier fans and he's been pretty nice. I've heard things about him but haven't seen it first hand

Are you sure it's Lakes?

BisonBacker
December 6th, 2017, 02:24 PM
I had a dream last night that I didn't bet on the outcome of SHSU/KSU but KSU was up 10 in the 4th. I was at that game and bummed I didn't bet. I also had bet like $500 that Wofford would beat NDSU but that game hadn't been played yet. It was a weird dream.

Just as long as you didn't wake up with wet shorts xlolx

BisonBacker
December 6th, 2017, 02:25 PM

Oh god why am I not surprised he's over there.

BisonBacker
December 6th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Are you sure it's Lakes?

LOL xnodx

TheKingpin28
December 6th, 2017, 02:43 PM
LOL xnodx

I was always lurking during the days of Lakes and NoDak 4 Ever and well those would always be some interesting reads.

Reign of Terrier
December 6th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Are you sure it's Lakes?

Yeah, I hear bad things about him, but then again he's kind of just posted a couple comments and ghosted

BNATION
December 6th, 2017, 03:00 PM
I was always lurking during the days of Lakes and NoDak 4 Ever and well those would always be some interesting reads. What happened to NoDak 4 ever

dewey
December 6th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Here is a post by the Bison Media Blog/Zone about Wofford and some stats from their season so far.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/confused-by-wofford/

Any thoughts on those close games to teams with bad overall records?

Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about Wofford succeeding on a fake field goal against Furman.
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4370083-fake-field-goal-was-key-woffords-playoff-win-over-furman

Dewey

Terrier19
December 6th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Here is a post by the Bison Media Blog/Zone about Wofford and some stats from their season so far.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/confused-by-wofford/

Any thoughts on those close games to teams with bad overall records?

Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about Wofford succeeding on a fake field goal against Furman.
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4370083-fake-field-goal-was-key-woffords-playoff-win-over-furman

Dewey

Thoughts on Wofford playing close with teams.

They play to the level of competition. The offense is geared to limit the opposing offense's possessions, and not necessarily bury teams. When Wofford was up a score or 2, instead of looking to bury the team, we would methodically drive and kill clock and leave a limited time to try and beat us. And some of those games, Wofford actually played from behind late, and it required execution, and / or big plays like a strip of a receiver with the ball, or a late interception. And in 8 games decided by a score or less, Wofford went 7-1. I like to look at things as we have been galvanized as a team by being in those situations, we are unflappable. When it is crunch time, and big plays need to be made, we tend to make them. And we don't apologize for that. We never claimed to be some juggernaut that walks through teams. But conversely, I have yet to see a team be able to put us away as well. I will reflect back to the game we lost to South Carolina. Sitting several starters, playing with Young back ups at Nose Guard and Both Interior linebackers (3 of our top 4/5 Defenders) the score was 14-10 LAte in the 3rd heading to the 4th quarter. And we pulled out our starting QB and let the backup get his opportunity to play for the 4th quarter. We belonged on that field and were not outmatched. I have never seen an FCS team be able to put us away. We lost to a good Samford team by a field goal, due primarily to 2 of the flukest plays/calls/non calls you have seen in football, and even with those calls, we had the ball knocking at the end zone to win at the end of the game.

This team just doesn't flinch in the tough moments where a lot of teams crack. Thats why when I see some of the odds / predictions of ANY team blowing us out I sort of chuckle. It is no disrespect to NDSU or anyone else, but I have yet to see it happen. I remember all the talk of how we were doomed last season in the quarterfinals at Youngstown, where it was frigid playing temps at the Ice Castle, and we were a Southern team that was supposed to be overmatched. And we came out and took the fight right to them, and were up like 9-0 barely a few minutes into the game and missed several opps to finish them off to lose in Double OT.

These close games don't matter much to us. It is old hat. And WE do not feel that those close games are a reflection of weakness as a team, but more of a strength. We played as the Hunted this season, for the first time in school history being picked the favorite to win the conference, and came away from seeing teams best shots largely unscathed. It was new territory for us, but all in all, I thought we handled it very well. And earned that pre season distinction by winning the SoCon Outright and only lost 1 FCS game, by a field goal.

dewey
December 6th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Thoughts on Wofford playing close with teams.

They play to the level of competition. The offense is geared to limit the opposing offense's possessions, and not necessarily bury teams. When Wofford was up a score or 2, instead of looking to bury the team, we would methodically drive and kill clock and leave a limited time to try and beat us. And some of those games, Wofford actually played from behind late, and it required execution, and / or big plays like a strip of a receiver with the ball, or a late interception. And in 8 games decided by a score or less, Wofford went 7-1. I like to look at things as we have been galvanized as a team by being in those situations, we are unflappable. When it is crunch time, and big plays need to be made, we tend to make them. And we don't apologize for that. We never claimed to be some juggernaut that walks through teams. But conversely, I have yet to see a team be able to put us away as well. I will reflect back to the game we lost to South Carolina. Sitting several starters, playing with Young back ups at Nose Guard and Both Interior linebackers (3 of our top 4/5 Defenders) the score was 14-10 LAte in the 3rd heading to the 4th quarter. And we pulled out our starting QB and let the backup get his opportunity to play for the 4th quarter. We belonged on that field and were not outmatched. I have never seen an FCS team be able to put us away. We lost to a good Samford team by a field goal, due primarily to 2 of the flukest plays/calls/non calls you have seen in football, and even with those calls, we had the ball knocking at the end zone to win at the end of the game.

This team just doesn't flinch in the tough moments where a lot of teams crack. Thats why when I see some of the odds / predictions of ANY team blowing us out I sort of chuckle. It is no disrespect to NDSU or anyone else, but I have yet to see it happen. I remember all the talk of how we were doomed last season in the quarterfinals at Youngstown, where it was frigid playing temps at the Ice Castle, and we were a Southern team that was supposed to be overmatched. And we came out and took the fight right to them, and were up like 9-0 barely a few minutes into the game and missed several opps to finish them off to lose in Double OT.

These close games don't matter much to us. It is old hat. And WE do not feel that those close games are a reflection of weakness as a team, but more of a strength. We played as the Hunted this season, for the first time in school history being picked the favorite to win the conference, and came away from seeing teams best shots largely unscathed. It was new territory for us, but all in all, I thought we handled it very well. And earned that pre season distinction by winning the SoCon Outright and only lost 1 FCS game, by a field goal.

Maybe I missed it but are you coming up for the game?

I will need to watch it Saturday night as I volunteered to be a guide for a Wounded Warrior hunt this weekend.

Thanks for the detailed reply and that makes complete sense to me. Wofford will feel right at home in a close game.

I also laughed at the point spread of 20 or so that came out originally. I hope I am wrong and NDSU wins by a LOT but like you I don't see it.

They have been saying on the Bison 1660 Insiders Show that this weekend's game will be a slobber knocker.

They also had a good interview with the Wofford play by play guy.

This should be a great game.

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Terrier19
December 6th, 2017, 03:57 PM
On the flip side, we don't see a team the caliber of NDSU on a weekly basis. So I guess it is one of those let's see what happens when they get together type deals. From the stats, NDSU seems to be strong at the same things Wofford is, and appears on paper to be better at it. How all of that plays out against each other is very intriguing to me. Im just excited to finally get our shot to measure up against NDSU. This is where we as a program want to be on the regular. Can't wait to see how we respond to the crowd and environment.

And unfortunately we won't make the trip as we went last week and could make the next week's game if we were to win by chance. But per my convo with The NDSU player and parent, I will make sure I get there to catch a game and watch that young man play.

BisonFan02
December 6th, 2017, 04:01 PM
What happened to NoDak 4 ever

Montana

BisonTru
December 6th, 2017, 04:28 PM
I think this game is going to go similar to our last playoff bout. Wofford and NDSU will both try to do what they do and both will try to control the clock. A lower scoring game with NDSU ultimately making a few more plays with the home field advantage.

21-14 Bison.

BreakEvenPeach
December 6th, 2017, 04:38 PM
Anyone know what uniform combo the bison will be wearing this weekend for national TV?

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Your memory is really bad.

https://youtu.be/7Z84uBCxfeU?t=51m42s

it might be, but I remember something bad happening to Coastal Carolina in the playoff game in Fargo..

edit - that was the most obvious holding call I've ever seen, besides the game was already in hand, didn't really interrupt the Venatio

Reign of Terrier
December 6th, 2017, 04:51 PM
The more I look at the stats, the more I distrust the likes of Sagarin and Massey to predict this game. Like, it's impossible to draw inference with an adequate amount of certainty for this one.

Just to put things in perspective, the Socon is without a doubt the kind of conference where you will see more teams running the ball for high yardage: We have Wofford, Furman, Western Carolina, and the Citadel, all of which run for 245. So you'd think that the average rushing offense would have a higher total than the MVFC right? Wrong.

The average MVFC offense runs for about 13 yards per game more than the Socon, because the Socon has teams that are bad at running the ball like Samford, ETSU, VMI and Chattanooga. Yet defensively, the MVFC averages about 40 yards per game better than the Socon. That could be attributed to the fact that option offenses more than make up a below baseline run offense by the bad running teams.

Now, some of these stats may be inflated by OOC numbers and other things, but my point is, I don't see how you can look at Sagarin or Massey, which basically uses algorithms and transition the reasoning to interconference games. The Socon is in particular difficult to prognosticate because of the diversity of styles (some run pro, some run option, some run air raid, some run tempo, some such VMI don't run one at all, etc)

BisonTru
December 6th, 2017, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I hear bad things about him, but then again he's kind of just posted a couple comments and ghosted

Lakes seems to have tamed down some. He's banned here and heavily moderated at bisonville so he's kind of cornered into opposing fan boards. Tho he frequented them regardless before.

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2017, 04:59 PM
Lakes seems to have tamed down some. He's banned here and heavily moderated at bisonville so he's kind of cornered into opposing fan boards. Tho he frequented them regardless before.

Is he Pete Rose banned?

Reign of Terrier
December 6th, 2017, 05:21 PM

Well one of the fans on terrierfans who sometimes comes on here said some negative things about NDSU fans and started a thread about it (before our game was lined up) and being one of the moderators on there I removed the thread and gave the general NO SMACK THIS WEEK and I think that may have spooked some.

After all the Wofford board probably only has <50 regular users and it's minimal drama.

Schism55
December 6th, 2017, 05:30 PM
Anyone know what uniform combo the bison will be wearing this weekend for national TV?
Has not been announced yet.

POD Knows
December 6th, 2017, 05:56 PM
Is he Pete Rose banned?I think we should get that woman in Montana to start a petition to "Free LakesBison" and get him back on AGS.

Bison56
December 6th, 2017, 06:00 PM
I think we should get that woman in Montana to start a petition to "Free LakesBison" and get him back on AGS.
Don't forget JBB

Bisonoline
December 6th, 2017, 06:01 PM
I think we should get that woman in Montana to start a petition to "Free LakesBison" and get him back on AGS.

Seriuosly---you dont want to let that horse out of the barn again.:D

Bisonoline
December 6th, 2017, 06:02 PM
Don't forget JBB

xeekx

POD Knows
December 6th, 2017, 07:11 PM
I was joking. I don't know either one of these guys other than the random comments posted on here. I wish BFL would come back here. Calling Tru, Matty, LFN, Rjones and others MF'ers is getting old. Need some new meat.

dewey
December 6th, 2017, 08:31 PM
Don't forget JBB

That one or MplsBison. Ugh.

Dewey

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2017, 08:35 PM
Where did the Bison poster go that used a kid drinking a glass of milk avatar go?

One of the banned ?

gofurman
December 6th, 2017, 08:37 PM
Where did the Bison poster go that used a kid drinking a glass of milk avatar go?

One of the banned ?

On the back of the milk carton

JayMYou
December 6th, 2017, 08:44 PM
Maybe I missed it but are you coming up for the game?

I will need to watch it Saturday night as I volunteered to be a guide for a Wounded Warrior hunt this weekend.

Dewey

Excellent cause. You're a good man.

https://media.giphy.com/media/XuBJvrKHutnkQ/giphy.gifhttps://media.giphy.com/media/l3mZ8bbEG2QYjoO9q/giphy.gif

TennBison
December 6th, 2017, 09:10 PM
I am that guy back in 2012, I was a jerk. I even got thrown off of the Wofford forum.

TennBison
December 6th, 2017, 09:12 PM
Although a contingent of them can be obnoxious ;) , i will say every time we have played them and I've met them in person they are great. Like to drink beer, eat, talk ****, and cheer on their football team. No difference from the rest of us, besides winning 5 in a row :( ....
I think I'm going to cry.xbawlingx

cx500d
December 6th, 2017, 09:14 PM
I am that guy back in 2012, I was a jerk. I even got thrown off of the Wofford forum.

Who hasn't got thrown off a forum? I got thrown off gopherhole.

dewey
December 6th, 2017, 09:23 PM
Who hasn't got thrown off a forum? I got thrown off gopherhole.

Why would you even go there? LOL!

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2017, 09:30 PM

No kidding. My brother in law sits in lakes' area at the FD...when I saw him I kind of chuckled. I don't think he could get himself out of a wet paper bag....xlolx

BisonFan02
December 6th, 2017, 09:39 PM
Looking back to the 2012 game, one thing I think needs to also be of note is the NDSU LB makeup:

2012:

G. Olson - 6' - 223lbs
C. Littlejohn - 6'1" - 216lbs
T. Beck - 6' - 207lbs

2017:

N. DeLuca - 6'3" - 245lbs
J. Cox - 6'3" - 227lbs
C. Board - 6'1" - 230lbs
rotation
M. Plank - 6' - 219lbs

Olson had 29 tackles in the 2012 game (6 solo) and Beck had 11....Littlejohn had 6.

You won't find anyone from the NDSU fanbase that will question Olson's leadership, but guys like DeLuca and Cox are WAY more athletic than the 2012 crew. Beck could fly....but I'm not sure where he would stack in today's LB group. Cox being a RFr could be something to watch with the TO....but it could be tough sledding running the ball against this team.

dewey
December 6th, 2017, 09:41 PM
Make sure to wear yellow on Saturday.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26694&stc=1

I am looking at you PL:D

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2017, 09:43 PM
PL is Bison fan emeritus.....:Dxthumbsupx

Bisonoline
December 6th, 2017, 09:48 PM
Make sure to wear yellow on Saturday.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26694&stc=1

I am looking at you PL:D

Dewey

xlmaoxxlmaox

gofurman
December 6th, 2017, 09:50 PM

May sound counterintuitive but I think it's easier to be humble / chill after success actually. If you feel respected (NDSU should) no need to have a chip,on your shoulder.

BisonFan02
December 6th, 2017, 09:54 PM
xlmaoxxlmaox

https://media1.tenor.com/images/f5c22fea838e6eaf4f9659148502d8a5/tenor.gif?itemid=5145428

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2017, 10:01 PM
Looking back to the 2012 game, one thing I think needs to also be of note is the NDSU LB makeup:

2012:

G. Olson - 6' - 223lbs
T. Beck - 6' - 207lbs

2017:

J. Cox - 6'3" - 227lbs
C. Board - 6'1" - 230lbs
rotation
M. Plank - 6' - 219lbs

Olson had 29 tackles in the 2012 game (6 solo) and Beck had 11....Littlejohn had 6.

You won't find anyone from the NDSU fanbase that will question Olson's leadership, but guys like DeLuca and Cox are WAY more athletic than the 2012 crew. Beck could fly....but I'm not sure where he would stack in today's LB group. Cox being a RFr could be something to watch with the TO....but it could be tough sledding running the ball against this team.

If the 3 LBs do not have OL blocking them, NDSU will have a good day defending the run. All of those guys can run and are good tacklers.

This is going to be a fun game to watch....chess match and how the teams make adjustments.

TheKingpin28
December 6th, 2017, 11:33 PM
What happened to NoDak 4 ever

Montana

^^^

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2017, 06:09 AM
On the back of the milk carton

not to sure

Prime Power
December 7th, 2017, 06:18 AM

2012:

G. Olson - 6' - 223lbs
T. Beck - 6' - 207lbs

2017:

J. Cox - 6'3" - 227lbs
C. Board - 6'1" - 230lbs
rotation
M. Plank - 6' - 219lbs

I agree that this LB corps is probably a bit better than in 2012. The safeties are not nearly as good in run defense this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2017, 06:31 AM
I agree that this LB corps is probably a bit better than in 2012. The safeties are not nearly as good in run defense this year.

Very true. Plus Healgle and Dudzik were solid build wise....Dempsey and Grimsley look lean and have less muscle than those other two and not as good of tacklers as the '12 guys.

dewey
December 7th, 2017, 07:32 AM
Very true. Plus Healgle and Dudzik were solid build wise....Dempsey and Grimsley look lean and have less muscle than those other two and not as good of tacklers as the '12 guys.

Heagle didn't play in 2012 as he was out for the season with a torn ACL that happened in the Colorado State game.

Dewey

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2017, 07:40 AM
Heagle didn't play in 2012 as he was out for the season with a torn ACL that happened in the Colorado State game.

Dewey

as a long time North Dakota State fan xlolx , I remember Heagle, he was a tackling machine.... #20?

Reign of Terrier
December 7th, 2017, 07:45 AM
One little tidbit that contrasts the style of play of Wofford's opponents this year: All but 1-2 of our opponents threw the ball 25 times + (Furman and the Citadel being the exception, Furman still threw it 24 times in the first meeting).

This year, Easton Stick has only had to throw the ball more than 25 times once, in the loss to SDSU. In his career, Stick is 2-2 in games in which he's had to throw the ball 25 times +, winning his first 2 against Chuck South and EWU, but losing to JMU and SDSU.

One of the salient differences is in how the latter two stopped the run, at least compared to the former two. I think if Wofford can slow down the run and either force Stick to throw the ball 25+ times, or hold him below 55% (think 13 of 25 kind of night) on less throws, we'll be in good shape.

Terrier19
December 7th, 2017, 08:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SUzcDUERLo

Live look into Wofford geting prepped for the trip to Fargo.......and this is just our waterboy......:D

dewey
December 7th, 2017, 08:18 AM
as a long time North Dakota State fan xlolx , I remember Heagle, he was a tackling machine.... #20?

Yes he was #20. The game that will alwayd be remebered for him was the 2011 Geprgi Southern game. He played the game with a cast on his forearm & hand. I think it was a broken thumb. Anyways he had about 15 tackles that game and was constantly flying from side to side to bring down the Eagle QB or RB.

He was a monster that game.

Dewey

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Yes he was #20. The game that will alwayd be remebered for him was the 2011 Geprgi Southern game. He played the game with a cast on his forearm & hand. I think it was a broken thumb. Anyways he had about 15 tackles that game and was constantly flying from side to side to bring down the Eagle QB or RB.

He was a monster that game.

Dewey

I remember that somewhat, hard to believe that was 6 years ago now, I remember Heagle being a great open field tackler

Professor Chaos
December 7th, 2017, 08:38 AM
I remember that somewhat, hard to believe that was 6 years ago now, I remember Heagle being a great open field tackler
The unfortunate thing was his body was so beat up from being a human missile that he kind of regressed by his senior season in 2014. The Georgia Southern semifinal in 2011 (at the end of his true sophomore year) was his best game. He didn't even pursue an NFL shot because his body was so beat up after playing in 60+ college football games.

Bison56
December 7th, 2017, 08:53 AM

I knew it!xthumbsupx

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2017, 08:56 AM
I knew it!xthumbsupx

Paul yes, rest of the band not so much... haha

Terrier19
December 7th, 2017, 08:59 AM
The unfortunate thing was his body was so beat up from being a human missile that he kind of regressed by his senior season in 2014. The Georgia Southern semifinal in 2011 (at the end of his true sophomore year) was his best game. He didn't even pursue an NFL shot because his body was so beat up after playing in 60+ college football games.

Oftentimes, people don't give near enough credit to these young men for the toll that is placed on their body. We share their war stories from the field, and people don't typically think about how much of a sacrifice these players give to play. Players play with all sorts of injuries, all the time. So much respect for these athletes. Especially being a parent of an athlete. Many late night discussions of the paiin, or the next injury.

dewey
December 7th, 2017, 09:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SUzcDUERLo

Live look into Wofford geting prepped for the trip to Fargo.......and this is just our waterboy......:D

I didn't realize you guys had the mountains and also this much snow so early in the yearxlolx

I love that movie!

Dewey

BNATION
December 7th, 2017, 09:08 AM
One little tidbit that contrasts the style of play of Wofford's opponents this year: All but 1-2 of our opponents threw the ball 25 times + (Furman and the Citadel being the exception, Furman still threw it 24 times in the first meeting).

This year, Easton Stick has only had to throw the ball more than 25 times once, in the loss to SDSU. In his career, Stick is 2-2 in games in which he's had to throw the ball 25 times +, winning his first 2 against Chuck South and EWU, but losing to JMU and SDSU.

One of the salient differences is in how the latter two stopped the run, at least compared to the former two. I think if Wofford can slow down the run and either force Stick to throw the ball 25+ times, or hold him below 55% (think 13 of 25 kind of night) on less throws, we'll be in good shape.

I've watched Stick 4 times including the loss and I agree. If he has to beat you from the pocket throwing the ball. NDSU's chances of a victory fall quickly. Easier said than done however forcing the Bison off their gameplay which is to establish the run.

centennial
December 7th, 2017, 09:18 AM
I've watched Stick 4 times including the loss and I agree. If he has to beat you from the pocket throwing the ball. NDSU's chances of a victory fall quickly. Easier said than done however forcing the Bison off their gameplay which is to establish the run.

Stick might be inconsistent now and then but he isn't a chump. Force him to throw on a day he is on which happens about 70% of the time, and NDSU will run away with the game. Wofford's big chance is get 2 INT's on Stick and stuff the run game. It can happen, but does it? Not likely.

Professor Chaos
December 7th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Oftentimes, people don't give near enough credit to these young men for the toll that is placed on their body. We share their war stories from the field, and people don't typically think about how much of a sacrifice these players give to play. Players play with all sorts of injuries, all the time. So much respect for these athletes. Especially being a parent of an athlete. Many late night discussions of the paiin, or the next injury.
It's especially true when you play 14 to 16 games every year like the Bison have for the last 7 (maybe 8 :D) years. Not that the players would prefer the alternative but spring football at NDSU has become pretty much an underclassmen only thing because so many of the older guys are either recovering from postseason surgeries or just trying to let their bodies recover from the grind of the long regular season.

Terrier19
December 7th, 2017, 10:00 AM
It's especially true when you play 14 to 16 games every year like the Bison have for the last 7 (maybe 8 :D) years. Not that the players would prefer the alternative but spring football at NDSU has become pretty much an underclassmen only thing because so many of the older guys are either recovering from postseason surgeries or just trying to let their bodies recover from the grind of the long regular season.

While I agree with the sentiment and the subtle chest poke out (14-16)....the difference in 12-13 games and 14-15-16 games is negligible. These athletes are all banged up across the board. And the reward of being in the title game seems to make some of those bumps and bruises a little easier to tolerate.

Terrier19
December 7th, 2017, 10:20 AM
An example...

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20171206/wofford-lb-datavious-wilson-plays-through-injury-sparks-defense

Reign of Terrier
December 7th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Stick might be inconsistent now and then but he isn't a chump. Force him to throw on a day he is on which happens about 70% of the time, and NDSU will run away with the game. Wofford's big chance is get 2 INT's on Stick and stuff the run game. It can happen, but does it? Not likely.

I'd like picks, but I'd say we only need one and a completion percentage below 60% and I like our chances. He's not a chump, but he's also not the best in FCS. His running ability is what makes him different from most QBs

centennial
December 7th, 2017, 10:47 AM
I'd like picks, but I'd say we only need one and a completion percentage below 60% and I like our chances. He's not a chump, but he's also not the best in FCS. His running ability is what makes him different from most QBs
Strevler from USD is the best QB this year at the FCS level. I would rate Stick top 5. He is close to the most elusive running QB I've seen in the MVFC. Only Tre Roberson and Aaron Bailey come to mind.

He is a confidence player so Wofford will have to throw him off his game. Soft zone, or Cover 2 is not the way to do it. When Stick is on, he is as good as Brock Jensen ever was at NDSU IMO. Still think this kid might have an outside chance at journeyman NFL QB or a CFL type career. I've seen Stick kill plays, call audibles at the line, and he does have some mentorship from Carson Wentz. I am curious to see if he can completely bounce back from his mid season slump.

BNATION
December 7th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Strevler from USD is the best QB this year at the FCS level. I would rate Stick top 5. He is close to the most elusive running QB I've seen in the MVFC. Only Tre Roberson and Aaron Bailey come to mind.

He is a confidence player so Wofford will have to throw him off his game. Soft zone, or Cover 2 is not the way to do it. When Stick is on, he is as good as Brock Jensen ever was at NDSU IMO. Still think this kid might have an outside chance at journeyman NFL QB or a CFL type career. I've seen Stick kill plays, call audibles at the line, and he does have some mentorship from Carson Wentz. I am curious to see if he can completely bounce back from his mid season slump. He is not as good as Brock on a good day IMO. He's good hes most definitely not top 5...

Terrier19
December 7th, 2017, 10:59 AM

He is a confidence player so Wofford will have to throw him off his game. Soft zone, or Cover 2 is not the way to do it. When Stick is on, he is as good as Brock Jensen ever was at NDSU IMO. Still think this kid might have an outside chance at journeyman NFL QB or a CFL type career. I've seen Stick kill plays, call audibles at the line, and he does have some mentorship from Carson Wentz. I am curious to see if he can completely bounce back from his mid season slump.

I would venture to say that Wofford has played 2 of that aforementioned 5 Top QB's. Devin Hodges At Samford HAS to be in that discussion, and PJ Blajekowski (Furman) is another very talented QB, that (may fall outside the 5 best actually) but is up there for sure, and we have played him twice this season. I don't think Wofford will be wow'd by Stick's ability. He seems like a very good QB, dangerous with his arm and legs, but not anything we haven't seen. No offense to him as he is very skilled, I just don't see him carving up Wofford's defense. If he has the responsibility of winning or losing the game, if Wofford were to find a way to stuff the Run game of NDSU, I like our chances.

Lot of IF's obviously........just looking at things that give Wofford the best chance and what we have done with teams in the past.

centennial
December 7th, 2017, 11:22 AM
He is not as good as Brock on a good day IMO. He's good hes most definately not top 5...

I disagree Brock played under a different OC. We were in 2013 running a much more WCO. 2015-2016 we ran a hybrid offense that used a lot of spread concepts from NIU (Tim Polasek spend a year at NIU). NFL scouts called NDSU a multi system offense when Carson was getting drafted.

Stick was asked to make harder throws with receivers that can't create much separation(we recruited for WCO then tried to run spread with the same personnel). Brock had Ryan Smith. And his only great year was 2013. Brock also had a RB that spend 2 years with the Packers, another one that spend time in the CFL. Stick is a better runner, and can throw as well, and has a better long ball. Brock was more clutch under pressure is all I will concede.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2017, 12:58 PM

I wouldn't leave Schor out of any FCS QB discussions, he might not have the speed of a Stevler or the arm of a Luletta, but he's very elusive and pretty tough. Most importantly he is a winner, game on the line.... give me him.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2017, 01:03 PM

hopefully nothing that he hasn't recovered from, It's nice to be able to walk when you hit 50

Reign of Terrier
December 7th, 2017, 01:22 PM
If we're going to slightly digress and talk about best QBs in the FCS, let me say 2 things, one is not really relevant to the thread, but Caribbean hen mentioned it:

1) Schor is completing 70% of his passes this year. It's no secret that I don't watch every FCS team play but you don't really need to qualify any lack of accomplishments given that fact

2) Stick is a good quarterback who fits into the system he has. I'm just not convinced he's a top 5 passing threat. That's not to say he can't torch Wofford's defense (lesser QBs have had good days) or he's not good enough to carry his team to a championship. Looking at the games in which he's had to carry the team through the air, he hasn't played as well and the Bison haven't been as successful than when they can establish the run. His core competency is his balance in both the air and the ground.

It's kind of crazy how close this year's NDSU team is to the 2012 team. They are statistically within the margin of error of that team, as are Stick's stats comparable to Brock Jensen's. Against Wofford, Jensen had a good day, I think he was 13 of 18 for 95 yards, but it was the Bison's run game that ultimately beat us.

For me, the bigger question is looking at how improved Wofford is relative to that 2012 team. We're more consistent statistically, more spread out with production on offense. We're deeper on defense, and most importantly, 20-30 lbs heavier on average on the defensive line. I don't think it's going to be as easy for NDSU to impose their will. Though it is true that YSU ran all over the field on us last year, their running back had run for multiple games in a row for 100 yards+ while the current starter for NDSU isn't as successful (and I know, NDSU is kind of depleted at RB)

None of this is to say that NDSU won't win, won't be successful or can't potentially blow out the Terriers. It's just that, given all of these improvements on Wofford's side of things and NDSU's almost-boring consistency, compounded with how close it was last time (and how many mistakes Wofford had with turnovers, missed FGs, etc), I feel confident that Wofford can pull the upset or at least keep it uncomfortably close.

And again, I could be wrong about all of this. But, given all of the above, I wouldn't be as confident as many are about the outcome.

Professor Chaos
December 7th, 2017, 01:27 PM
If we're going to slightly digress and talk about best QBs in the FCS, let me say 2 things, one is not really relevant to the thread, but Caribbean hen mentioned it:

1) Schor is completing 70% of his passes this year. It's no secret that I don't watch every FCS team play but you don't really need to qualify any lack of accomplishments given that fact

2) Stick is a good quarterback who fits into the system he has. I'm just not convinced he's a top 5 passing threat. That's not to say he can't torch Wofford's defense (lesser QBs have had good days) or he's not good enough to carry his team to a championship. Looking at the games in which he's had to carry the team through the air, he hasn't played as well and the Bison haven't been as successful than when they can establish the run. His core competency is his balance in both the air and the ground.

It's kind of crazy how close this year's NDSU team is to the 2012 team. They are statistically within the margin of error of that team, as are Stick's stats comparable to Brock Jensen's. Against Wofford, Jensen had a good day, I think he was 13 of 18 for 95 yards, but it was the Bison's run game that ultimately beat us.

For me, the bigger question is looking at how improved Wofford is relative to that 2012 team. We're more consistent statistically, more spread out with production on offense. We're deeper on defense, and most importantly, 20-30 lbs heavier on average on the defensive line. I don't think it's going to be as easy for NDSU to impose their will. Though it is true that YSU ran all over the field on us last year, their running back had run for multiple games in a row for 100 yards+ while the current starter for NDSU isn't as successful (and I know, NDSU is kind of depleted at RB)

None of this is to say that NDSU won't win, won't be successful or can't potentially blow out the Terriers. It's just that, given all of these improvements on Wofford's side of things and NDSU's almost-boring consistency, compounded with how close it was last time (and how many mistakes Wofford had with turnovers, missed FGs, etc), I feel confident that Wofford can pull the upset or at least keep it uncomfortably close.

And again, I could be wrong about all of this. But, given all of the above, I wouldn't be as confident as many are about the outcome.
What offensive statistics are you looking at? The 2017 Bison offense, statistically, is quite a bit better than the 2012 Bison offense. This year they're averaging 4.5 more points per game, 60+ more yards of total offense, 1.5 more yards per carry, and a 20+ point bump in team pass efficiency.

Defensively I think it's pretty comparable but offensively this Bison team is much more efficient than the 2012 version IMO.

dewey
December 7th, 2017, 01:41 PM
He is not as good as Brock on a good day IMO. He's good hes most definitely not top 5...

I think people could make a good argument why Stick is better than Jensen and vice versa.

I don't think Stick is a top 5 quarterback in the FCS though. Top 10 maybe?

My top QB's;
Christian SDSU
Strevler USD
Gubrud EWU
Schor UNI
Hodges Samford
Briscoe SHSU (maybe?)

However Stick does what is needed for the team. He is a very good quarterback for the Bison.

Stick is something like 33-2 as a starter. WOW!

Dewey

gofurman
December 7th, 2017, 01:46 PM
I would venture to say that Wofford has played 2 of that aforementioned 5 Top QB's. Devin Hodges At Samford HAS to be in that discussion, and PJ Blajekowski (Furman) is another very talented QB, that (may fall outside the 5 best actually) but is up there for sure, and we have played him twice this season. I don't think Wofford will be wow'd by Stick's ability. He seems like a very good QB, dangerous with his arm and legs, but not anything we haven't seen. No offense to him as he is very skilled, I just don't see him carving up Wofford's defense. If he has the responsibility of winning or losing the game, if Wofford were to find a way to stuff the Run game of NDSU, I like our chances.

Lot of IF's obviously........just looking at things that give Wofford the best chance and what we have done with teams in the past.

Not being pro-Furman but if NDSU is run-first and throw efficiently Woffd saw that twice w Furman. Hodges may be a better QB / and WCU Adams is strong too.. hard to know as they all use different systems but here was Furman. You guys know football - these stats are EYE POPPING:

PASS EFFICIENCYGCompAttInt Pct.YardsTD .............Efficiency Rating
1.Furman 8 SoCon games ...92 comp ... 142 attempts ... 2 interceptions ... 64.8 pct ... 1553 yds ... 11 TDs ............... 179.4 RATING- ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY NINE????? THATS ALMOST UNHEARD OF
2.Samford 8 238359866.3282021 ................ 147.1
3.Mercer 8 128212660.4165910 ..................... 136.0
4.Western Carolina 8 144231762.3157313 ....... 132.0
5.Wofford 8 52101151.58302 ...............,..... 125.1
6.ETSU 8 138245556.3165710 ........................ 122.5

and Furman Is NOT NDSU. We are improving but I am not even going there.. LOL. But I don't think the QB level is much different. The OL, yeah. Many of the guys like DeLuca etc etc - IE, the trenches and front 7... yeah, NDSU may be way better. But I watched FU QB Blaze all year and watched 3 NDSU games. I don't see a difference. Notice YT lists FU's QB right there with Hodges. He was arguing that at some points in teh year he felt Blaze was better.. when we could help him w a run game. If you want to see what I mean, watch Furman v Citadel or somebody. Wofford just had Blaze running for his life and playing from behind where they could pin their ears back... so watching the last game FU v Woff isn't that telling. And their was still one drive where he killed em (to put us up 10-7) --> IE, when the game was even he was a serious danger. But once we couldn't run and got behind, well, that makes every QB look bad. (okay, maybe not Wentz :) But, basically No QB can be effective when he has no run game help and the DL can sell out.

Here is another truly FREAKY stat w Blaze at FU v all SoCon comp (only 8 SoCon games) - He was number one in FCS nation late in season.. maybe ended up top 5 or so? Yards per attempt:

PASS YDS/ATT G ... Comp .... Att ....Int Pct..... YardsAvg. TD
1.Furman 8 games .... 92comp ..... 142attempts ... 2int .....64.8pct .... 1553 yds .......10.9 yards per attempted pass ......11 TDs
2.Wofford ... 8games ... 52 comp... 101 attempt .... 1int ...51.5 pct ........830 yards .... 8.2 yards per pass attempt ... .....2 TDs
3.Samford 8 gmaes ....238 comp ..359 attempts ...8 int ... 66.3 pct ... 2820 yards ...7.9 pass yards per attempt ......21 TDs
4.Mercer 7.8 yds per pass attempt
5.The Citadel 7.0 yards per pass attempt
6.Western Carolina 6.8 yds per pass attempt
7.ETSU 6.8 yds per pass attempt
8.Chattanooga 5.7 yards per pass attempt
9.VMI 4.5 yards per pass attempt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, here it is - FU QB finished number 2 in nation in pass efficiency:

RANK
NAME
TEAM
CL
POSITION
G
PASS ATT
PASS COM
INT
PASS YDS
PASS TD
PASS EFF

Hayden Hildebrand
Central Ark. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/central-ark)
Sr.
QB

P.J. Blazejowski
Furman (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/furman)
Sr.
QB

Lamar Raynard
N.C. A&T (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/nc-at)
Jr.
QB

Chad Kanoff
Princeton (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/princeton)
Sr.
QB

Easton Stick
North Dakota St. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/north-dakota-st)
Jr.
QB

Anthony Lawrence
San Diego (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/san-diego)
Jr.
QB

Tommy Stuart
Duquesne (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/duquesne)
Sr.
QB

Taryn Christion
South Dakota St. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/south-dakota-st)
Jr.
QB

Chris Streveler
South Dakota (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/south-dakota)
Sr.
QB

Stefan Cantwell
Weber St. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/weber-st)
Sr.
QB

and number 2 in passing yards per completion:

RANK
NAME
TEAM
CL
POSITION
G
PASS COM
PASS ATT
PASS YDS
AVG

Caylin Newton
Howard (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/howard)
Fr.
QB

P.J. Blazejowski
Sr.
QB

Jeremiah Briscoe
Sam Houston St. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/sam-houston-st)
Sr.
QB

Easton Stick
Jr.
QB

Michael Hughes
Tennessee St. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/tennessee-st)
So.
QB

This kind of backs up my theory. I think Wofford has seen this QB level / type. The difference is NDSU can run better and defend better than Furman. Just looking at the point about the QB

TheKingpin28
December 7th, 2017, 01:50 PM
I think people could make a good argument why Stick is better than Jensen and vice versa.

My top QB's;
Christian SDSU
Strevler USD
Gubrud EWU
Schor UNI
Hodges Samford
Briscoe SHSU (maybe?)

However Stick does what is needed for the team. He is a very good quarterback for the Bison.

Dewey

I feel like Lauletta is missing? xlolx

That said, my T5 would be, in order:

1: Streveler
2: Lauletta (Pocket Passing wise, better than Streveler IMO though)
3: TC
4: Gubrud
5: Schor

Streveler is on a whole different level though due to his ability to make plays happen by himself. When someone accounts for something like 70% of their entire offense, your team is in trouble.

BisonTru
December 7th, 2017, 01:59 PM
1. Lauletta
2. Gubrud
3. Streveler
4. Schor
5. Briscoe
6. Christian

Terrier19
December 7th, 2017, 02:04 PM

My top QB's;
Christian SDSU
Strevler USD
Gubrud EWU
Schor UNI
Hodges Samford
Briscoe SHSU (maybe?)

Dewey

NOW THAT IS AMAZING!!!!! SHEESH!!!

Reign of Terrier
December 7th, 2017, 02:07 PM
What offensive statistics are you looking at? The 2017 Bison offense, statistically, is quite a bit better than the 2012 Bison offense. This year they're averaging 4.5 more points per game, 60+ more yards of total offense, 1.5 more yards per carry, and a 20+ point bump in team pass efficiency.

Defensively I think it's pretty comparable but offensively this Bison team is much more efficient than the 2012 version IMO.

I personally attribute 4.5 more points as margin of error. It's variation, certainly, but I don't see that as significant (and really it's a value judgment). Though it is true that they're running the ball for more yards per game, OOC numbers somewhat complicate the statistic, as does the reality of bad run defenses.

I guess the point I'm going with here is that blowouts create a lot of noise disguised as signals (just look at all the threads where I was critical of Furman this year, Furman fans still hate me for it)

Though team passing efficiency may have improved, I was mainly looking at the comparison between Stick 2017 and Jensen 2012. What exactly quantifies passing efficiency? I ask because if I'm not mistaken it has something to do with the scores you throw. The completion percentage of Stick is 1% higher or so (not really significant in my opinion) and he only averages about 10 yards per game more through the air than Jensen. Stick averages about 11 of 17 and 2ish TDs a game, while Jensen averaged about 14 of 22 for 1ish TDs a game.

So, on the surface *maybe* the difference in playcalling is that they throw Stick less, but when they do, they go more verticle and that ends up with more touchdowns. That could explain less throws but more yardage. But if you're going to ask me, based upon these stats if I expect him to be that much better than Jensen, my answer is simply that I expect them to be about the same.

So, I'll concede that NDSU's stats look better, but given the variation of their performance/diminishing returns when blowing out so-so teams and the similarities of the two QB make me thing they are pretty similar. One important measure of efficiency as an offense is that NDSU is converting 3rd downs at a rate of 5% less rate, but that may be a spurious stat.

Reign of Terrier
December 7th, 2017, 02:11 PM
And I have to be clear, I don't think Stick is a bad player (far from it! he's a great player). I'm just trying to contextualize his role in NDSU's offense. I'm just skeptical of the claim that he can torch us and the certainty some Bison fans are asserting that claim.

He's not their Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. He's their AJ McCarron (but, IMO better/more important to their offense than McCarron was for Bama).

There's nothing really impressive about Goodson's stats either. You could contextualize them and draw some meh conclusions about his role in the offense. That doesn't mean he's unimportant or can't torch you somehow though!

(Heck, I barely talked about Stick's rushing numbers!)

Terrier19
December 7th, 2017, 02:15 PM
Not being pro-Furman but if NDSU is run-first and throw efficiently Woffd saw that twice w Furman. Hodges may be a better QB / and WCU Adams is strong too.. hard to know as they all use different systems but here was Furman. You guys know football - these stats are EYE POPPING:

PASS EFFICIENCYGCompAttInt Pct.YardsTD .............Efficiency Rating
1.Furman 8 SoCon games ...92 comp ... 142 attempts ... 2 interceptions ... 64.8 pct ... 1553 yds ... 11 TDs ............... 179.4 RATING- ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY NINE????? THATS ALMOST UNHEARD OF
2.Samford 8 238359866.3282021 ................ 147.1
3.Mercer 8 128212660.4165910 ..................... 136.0
4.Western Carolina 8 144231762.3157313 ....... 132.0
5.Wofford 8 52101151.58302 ...............,..... 125.1
6.ETSU 8 138245556.3165710 ........................ 122.5

and Furman Is NOT NDSU. We are improving but I am not even going there.. LOL. But I don't think the QB level is much different. The OL, yeah. Many of the guys like DeLuca etc etc - IE, the trenches and front 7... yeah, NDSU may be way better. But I watched FU QB Blaze all year and watched 3 NDSU games. I don't see a difference. Notice YT lists FU's QB right there with Hodges. He was arguing that at some points in teh year he felt Blaze was better.. when we could help him w a run game. If you want to see what I mean, watch Furman v Citadel or somebody. Wofford just had Blaze running for his life and playing from behind where they could pin their ears back... so watching the last game FU v Woff isn't that telling. And their was still one drive where he killed em (to put us up 10-7) --> IE, when the game was even he was a serious danger. But once we couldn't run and got behind, well, that makes every QB look bad. (okay, maybe not Wentz :) But, basically No QB can be effective when he has no run game help and the DL can sell out.

Here is another truly FREAKY stat w Blaze at FU v all SoCon comp (only 8 SoCon games) - He was number one in FCS nation late in season.. maybe ended up top 5 or so? Yards per attempt:

PASS YDS/ATT G ... Comp .... Att ....Int Pct..... YardsAvg. TD
1.Furman 8 games .... 92comp ..... 142attempts ... 2int .....64.8pct .... 1553 yds .......10.9 yards per attempted pass ......11 TDs
2.Wofford ... 8games ... 52 comp... 101 attempt .... 1int ...51.5 pct ........830 yards .... 8.2 yards per pass attempt ... .....2 TDs
3.Samford 8 gmaes ....238 comp ..359 attempts ...8 int ... 66.3 pct ... 2820 yards ...7.9 pass yards per attempt ......21 TDs
4.Mercer 7.8 yds per pass attempt
5.The Citadel 7.0 yards per pass attempt
6.Western Carolina 6.8 yds per pass attempt
7.ETSU 6.8 yds per pass attempt
8.Chattanooga 5.7 yards per pass attempt
9.VMI 4.5 yards per pass attempt

Yeah, here it is - FU QB finished number 2 in nation in pass efficiency:

RANK
NAME
TEAM
CL
POSITION
G
PASS ATT
PASS COM
INT
PASS YDS
PASS TD
PASS EFF

Hayden Hildebrand
Central Ark. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/central-ark)
Sr.
QB

P.J. Blazejowski
Sr.
QB

Lamar Raynard
N.C. A&T (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/nc-at)
Jr.
QB

Chad Kanoff
Princeton (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/princeton)
Sr.
QB

Easton Stick
Jr.
QB

Anthony Lawrence
San Diego (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/san-diego)
Jr.
QB

Tommy Stuart
Duquesne (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/duquesne)
Sr.
QB

Taryn Christion
South Dakota St. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/south-dakota-st)
Jr.
QB

Chris Streveler
South Dakota (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/south-dakota)
Sr.
QB

Stefan Cantwell
Weber St. (http://www.ncaa.com/schools/weber-st)
Sr.
QB

This kind of backs up my theory. I think they have seen this QB level / type. The difference is NDSU can probably run better and defend better than Furman

AND THAT IS WHY I had Blaze in that group.

thebootfitter
December 7th, 2017, 02:45 PM
While I agree with the sentiment and the subtle chest poke out (14-16)....the difference in 12-13 games and 14-15-16 games is negligible. These athletes are all banged up across the board. And the reward of being in the title game seems to make some of those bumps and bruises a little easier to tolerate.I dunno... The FBS uses that as an argument against inviting more teams to the playoffs. "They have already played 12+ games against tough competition plus a bowl game! We can't expect them to play multiple games more in playoffs. It would jut be too hard on their bodies!"

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

centennial
December 7th, 2017, 02:59 PM
And I have to be clear, I don't think Stick is a bad player (far from it! he's a great player). I'm just trying to contextualize his role in NDSU's offense. I'm just skeptical of the claim that he can torch us and the certainty some Bison fans are asserting that claim.

He's not their Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. He's their AJ McCarron (but, IMO better/more important to their offense than McCarron was for Bama).

There's nothing really impressive about Goodson's stats either. You could contextualize them and draw some meh conclusions about his role in the offense. That doesn't mean he's unimportant or can't torch you somehow though!

(Heck, I barely talked about Stick's rushing numbers!)

Signal callers in NDSU system have more responsibility vs most D1 QB's. They have the ability to change calls, call a different 1st read, send the Rb to a different look. Look at what Carson is doing in the NFL. It's true that NDSU has a run first team, that kills Sticks stats. Add to that about half the games this season NDSU called the dogs off by the middle of 3rd, sometimes as early as late 2nd quarter. Coach K doesn't like running up scores.

I also think posters are falsely equalling NDSU and Furman. Yes, there are some similarities. But these are 2 different squads with different talent levels, watching Furman reminds me of a middle(4-5th) MVFC team. They play MVFC like ball. Like others have said the only chance I see for Wofford is that they can rattle Stick somehow.

Terrier19
December 7th, 2017, 03:03 PM
I dunno... The FBS uses that as an argument against inviting more teams to the playoffs. "They have already played 12+ games against tough competition plus a bowl game! We can't expect them to play multiple games more in playoffs. It would jut be too hard on their bodies!"

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That's a fair argument.

Terrier19
December 7th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Signal callers in NDSU system have more responsibility vs most D1 QB's. They have the ability to change calls, call a different 1st read, send the Rb to a different look. Look at what Carson is doing in the NFL. It's true that NDSU has a run first team, that kills Sticks stats. Add to that about half the games this season NDSU called the dogs off by the middle of 3rd, sometimes as early as late 2nd quarter. Coach K doesn't like running up scores.

I also think posters are falsely equalling NDSU and Furman. Yes, there are some similarities. But these are 2 different squads with different talent levels, watching Furman reminds me of a middle(4-5th) MVFC team. They play MVFC like ball. Like others have said the only chance I see for Wofford is that they can rattle Stick somehow.

Wouldn't you say the same thing about Wofford, honestly?

dewey
December 7th, 2017, 03:45 PM
I feel like Lauletta is missing? xlolx

That said, my T5 would be, in order:

1: Streveler
2: Lauletta (Pocket Passing wise, better than Streveler IMO though)
3: TC
4: Gubrud
5: Schor

Streveler is on a whole different level though due to his ability to make plays happen by himself. When someone accounts for something like 70% of their entire offense, your team is in trouble.

Dang it I knew I forgot someone...DOH!

Dewey

dewey
December 7th, 2017, 03:50 PM

NOW THAT IS AMAZING!!!!! SHEESH!!!

The win loss record for Stick is really unbelievable. His two losses were to JMU (National Champs last year) and SDSU (#5 seed in the playoffs this year).

His wins include most of the 2015 season (3 playoff wins), all of 2016 including wins at FBS #11 Iowa, 2 playoff wins and all of this year so far and 1 playoff win.

We are an incredibly blessed fan base.

That is not to mention that NDSU has had 3 losing seasons since 1965 and 13 National Championships. This obviously has nothing to do with the game but just to show how blessed as a fan base us Bison fans are.

Dewey

dewey
December 7th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about Wofford relying on the experience of playing at South Carolina to help with this weekends quarterfinal game.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4370777-wofford-relying-south-carolina-game-prep-bison

Here is another article from the Fargo Forum about the NDSU defensive coaches spending a lot of time developing a game plan against the Wofford triple option.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4370846-its-long-long-week-any-bison-defensive-coordinator-studying-triple-option

Dewey

Reign of Terrier
December 7th, 2017, 05:17 PM
You kind of forfeit any semblance of objectivity or reasonableness when you say that Furman looks like a mid-tier MVFC team. Furman and NDSU definitely play different styles but Furman scored on a full 50% of their possessions against FCS competition before they got hammered last week.

In the MVFC, NDSU and SDSU are the only ones who did better (51% and 54% respectively), but that's basically margin of error (if you have 12 possessions, one possession is 8%, for example). Going down the MVFC, Illinois State and UNI were both about 35 or 36. Western Illinois was at about 42% and South Dakota was at 44%.

I know the MVFC is stronger than the Socon by way of the computers, but that sort of efficiency can be misleading within their own conference. If you just look at conference competition, NDSU's goes down to 46%, SDSU's to 49%, Western Illinois down to 40% and Illinois State down to 30%, South Dakota down to 39%. UNI's increases to about 39%.

What does Furman do when you take out OOC? it goes up to 51%. Furman was a good team with a great offense. You can do some unscientific eye test bull**** and say they looked bad, but if you only look at the Wofford game, that's kind of just looking at NDSU's JMU game or the SDSU game and drawing conclusions out of that. Eye test is highly susceptible to bias and the availability heuristic.

By most measures Furman had a top 10 offense this year. We shut them down. You can say that the Bison may do better and I wouldn't disagree; I couldn't tell you what to expect. But there's a difference between saying "the information we have is imperfect" (a perspective I'm sympathetic to) and "Furman looked like a mid-tier offensive team." The latter we have plenty of evidence to the contrary and it takes a special kind of homer to say otherwise.

Reign of Terrier
December 7th, 2017, 05:20 PM
On a more lighthearted note I find it funny that the players are like "we went to South Carolina so that should help"

and Ayers/our media guys who were there 5 years ago are all like "no."

cx500d
December 7th, 2017, 05:37 PM
The win loss record for Stick is really unbelievable. His two losses were to JMU (National Champs last year) and SDSU (#5 seed in the playoffs this year).

His wins include most of the 2015 season (3 playoff wins), all of 2016 including wins at FBS #11 Iowa, 2 playoff wins and all of this year so far and 1 playoff win.

We are an incredibly blessed fan base.

That is not to mention that NDSU has had 3 losing seasons since 1965 and 13 National Championships. This obviously has nothing to do with the game but just to show how blessed as a fan base us Bison fans are.

Dewey

Didn't he lose twice two SDSU?

Reign of Terrier
December 7th, 2017, 05:54 PM
professor google says yes

gofurman
December 7th, 2017, 06:09 PM
You kind of forfeit any semblance of objectivity or reasonableness when you say that Furman looks like a mid-tier MVFC team. Furman and NDSU definitely play different styles but Furman scored on a full 50% of their possessions against FCS competition before they got hammered last week.

In the MVFC, NDSU and SDSU are the only ones who did better (51% and 54% respectively), but that's basically margin of error (if you have 12 possessions, one possession is 8%, for example). Going down the MVFC, Illinois State and UNI were both about 35 or 36. Western Illinois was at about 42% and South Dakota was at 44%.

I know the MVFC is stronger than the Socon by way of the computers, but that sort of efficiency can be misleading within their own conference. If you just look at conference competition, NDSU's goes down to 46%, SDSU's to 49%, Western Illinois down to 40% and Illinois State down to 30%, South Dakota down to 39%. UNI's increases to about 39%.

What does Furman do when you take out OOC? it goes up to 51%. ***Furman was a good team with a great offense. You can do some unscientific eye test bull**** and say they looked bad, but if you only look at the Wofford game, that's kind of just looking at NDSU's JMU game or the SDSU game and drawing conclusions out of that. ***. Eye test is highly susceptible to bias and the availability heuristic.

By most measures Furman had a top 10 offense this year. We shut them down. You can say that the Bison may do better and I wouldn't disagree; I couldn't tell you what to expect. But there's a difference between saying "the information we have is imperfect" (a perspective I'm sympathetic to) and "Furman looked like a mid-tier offensive team." The latter we have plenty of evidence to the contrary and it takes a special kind of homer to say otherwise.

1). Furman is not in this game
2. Looking at any ONE game is a fools errand. As YT said, what if Wofford only looked at one game - JMU beating NDSU last year and said “NDSU is a middle tier CAA team”. that would be ridiculous! While it’s a game they should study as it shows a way to beat NDSU .. I guarantee you no one watches SDSU beat NDSU and concludes NDSU is only what you see in that game. Furman may be good or v good or overrated ... but no one should watch ONE game and draw many conclusions. Unless maybe you play Davidson and lose

Heck Furman outgained Wofford in the first game I think. Wofford was held in check well by UTC defense - granted they had their NFL linebacker back. Then they beat Furman by 18 last week. Stats are great. But not from just one game

centennial
December 7th, 2017, 06:09 PM

What does Furman do when you take out OOC? it goes up to 51%. Furman was a good team with a great offense. You can do some unscientific eye test bull**** and say they looked bad, but if you only look at the Wofford game, that's kind of just looking at NDSU's JMU game or the SDSU game and drawing conclusions out of that. Eye test is highly susceptible to bias and the availability heuristic.

I have respect for both Furman, and Wofford. But does Furman actually beat WIU, or SD? It was more than a fair comparison. These are 2 playoff teams, both with FBS wins.

IMO NDSU matches much better vs Furman. Wofford has the triple option that is hard to prepare against. But don't forget Wofford almost blew it vs a bunch of mediocre teams. Barely winning against Garner Webb, Mercer, Citadel, Chattanooga. This is the reason Vegas and computers don't really like Wofford.

Teams do change as the season goes on, I have been watching Wofford as a voter all throughout the season. I even picked against Wofford in the pick em. I think Wofford as teams go, matches well vs NDSU. NDSU is not a throw out all over the place kind of team.

However, I would like to point that stats between conferences have limited meaning. Especially when the strength across the board varies. I wouldn't compare MVFC stats to Mountain West or Big Sky or Southern. I guess we will see at the game how things turn out.

TennBison
December 7th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Yes, he was the starting QB in 3 losses, 2 to SDSU and 1 to JMU.

Reign of Terrier
December 7th, 2017, 06:22 PM
I have respect for both Furman, and Wofford. But does Furman actually beat WIU, or SD? It was more than a fair comparison. These are 2 playoff teams, both with FBS wins.

IMO NDSU matches much better vs Furman. Wofford has the triple option that is hard to prepare against. But don't forget Wofford almost blew it vs a bunch of mediocre teams. Barely winning against Garner Webb, Mercer, Citadel, Chattanooga. This is the reason Vegas and computers don't really like Wofford.

Teams do change as the season goes on, I have been watching Wofford as a voter all throughout the season. I even picked against Wofford in the pick em. I think Wofford as teams go, matches well vs NDSU. NDSU is not a throw out all over the place kind of team.

However, I would like to point that stats between conferences have limited meaning. Especially when the strength across the board varies. I wouldn't compare MVFC stats to Mountain West or Big Sky or Southern. I guess we will see at the game how things turn out.

I've explained multiple times that stats between conferences mean very little. Teams can only play the ones in front of them. Overall efficiency is a better measure because efficiency usually carries over from week to week, with some margin of error. In the case of Furman they were consistently better than most teams on the offensive side of the ball and a pretty average defense for a playoff team.

I would favor Furman over South Dakota, WIU and UNI. Same with Wofford, but also with NDSU and SDSU and I think they'll show you why this weekend.

gofurman
December 7th, 2017, 06:34 PM

Even this game doesn’t tell a ton. It gives a data point. But only one. Example Furman Wofford game one. One point. Second time 18 points. *Or maybe better example UGA Auburn. Auburn kills game one. UGA takes games two. Both w ease - easy different winner. If they only played that once everyone would say UGA can’t play w Auburn. But that’s Not true. Unless someone beats another team by 30+ I don’t doubt the loser coulda won given ten or so games

dewey
December 7th, 2017, 07:23 PM

You are correct. He must be 33 to 36 and 3.

Dam Jackrabbits.

Dewey

bri-dog
December 7th, 2017, 07:38 PM
LOL -- getting a little fun poked at me for my (lack of) Photoshop "skills" on the FCS facebook page. For an old guy like me that doesn't know crap about PS, I didn't think it was all that bad... :p

https://i.imgur.com/nBCaUQO.jpg

Scooter
December 7th, 2017, 09:07 PM
Safe travels to all the Wofford fans coming up for the game. This should be a very good game against two physical teams. Don't drink too much before the game in the tailgate lot. Enjoy the hospitality and hope you have a great experience in Fargo...well... I do wish a loss on you guys...besides that have a great experience.

dewey
December 7th, 2017, 10:32 PM
Safe travels to all the Wofford fans coming up for the game. This should be a very good game against two physical teams. Don't drink too much before the game in the tailgate lot. Enjoy the hospitality and hope you have a great experience in Fargo...well... I do wish a loss on you guys...besides that have a great experience.

^^^^^^100% agreed!

Go Bison!

Dewey

X-Factor
December 7th, 2017, 10:55 PM
Oh you are absolutely right. Teams would be stupid to keep safeties back and out of the box. You are right that Stick is more like Jensen. Stick is a better runner than Jensen though.

Dewey

I’ll go one step further. Stick is a better overall college QB than Jensen. But, if I’m down a few points and need a late 4th Q drive to win it or even just salt the game away, I’ll take Jensen over Stick any day.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Listening to Wofford's coach, he is concerned with NDSU's DL and how many they rotate in the game. He likes the Wofford DL matchup against the Bison OL.

NDSU's DL is fast and gap sound and I think they will cause problems for Wofford's option. If they can stuff the dive consistently I really like NDSU's chances because the LBs and SS will be free to make the tackles on the edge and in open space.

This game will come down to ES IMO. He needs to run the ball effectively and pass the ball with efficiency. The TEs could play a big roll in the passing game. Wofford's secondary can be passed on.

I'll say this again. Messner - Volson - Kuhnert need to bring their A game in the interior. If they cannot move the pile and get continually beat, the Bison lose this game.

If their is any defense that can slow down this offense it is the Bison.

dewey
December 8th, 2017, 06:56 AM
Here are some interesting postseason records.

EIGHTH STRAIGHT POSTSEASON: This is NDSU's eighth straight FCS playoff appearance and 31st postseason trip overall. The Bison are 60-15 in the postseason and 55-14 in the NCAA playoff format since 1973. North Dakota State has advanced to its eighth straight quarterfinal and a victory over Wofford would send NDSU to its seventh straight semifinal. Marshall is the only other FCS team to have made six straight semifinal appearances (1991-1996).

Consecutive FCS Quarterfinals
8 - North Dakota State, 2010-2017
6 - Appalachian State, 2005-2010
6 - Marshall, 1991-1996
6 - Georgia Southern, 1985-1990
6 - Georgia Southern, 1997-2002
4 - Sam Houston State, 2014-2017
4 - McNeese State 1992-1995
4 - Youngstown State, 1991-1994
4 - Arkansas State 1984-1987

Consecutive FCS Semifinals
6 - North Dakota State, 2011-2016
6 - Marshall, 1991-1996
5 - Georgia Southern, 1998-2002

If NDSU wins Saturday they will own the record for the most consecutive semi-final appearances in FCS history.

Dewey

dewey
December 8th, 2017, 06:58 AM
Here are some more interesting stats from Gobison.com.

BISON, TERRIERS WILL RUN: Two of the top rushing teams in the FCS meet this week with North Dakota State ranked fifth at 268.1 yards per game and Wofford's triple-option attack seventh nationally with 254.0 yards per game. NDSU has rushed for over 300 yards in two of the last three contests after a season-low 108 at South Dakota State. Wofford is averaging 52 carries a game and rushed for 291 yards in last week's 28-10 win over Furman.

STOPPING THE RUN: The Bison, who have allowed just nine rushing TDs this year, continue to lead the Missouri Valley Football Conference in rushing defense with 87.7 yards per game (7th in FCS) and 2.76 yards per carry (8th in FCS). Only three other Division I NDSU teams have allowed fewer than 100 rushing yards per game in a full season.

NDSU Rushing Defense, since 2004
67.2 yards per game allowed in 2006 (2.5/carry)
87.7 yards per game allowed in 2017 (2.8/carry)
91.3 yards per game allowed in 2013 (2.9/carry)
93.9 yards per game allowed in 2012 (3.0/carry)

TOP RUSHING OPPONENTS: Wofford ran for 262 yards in the 2012 quarterfinals against a Bison team that had held its first 12 opponents to an average of 63.3 yards per game. Since then, only eight other NDSU opponents have rushed for 200 yards in a game and it remains the fourth-best rushing effort against NDSU back through the 2011 national championship season.
Most Opponent Rushing Yards, since 2011
277 - Northern Iowa, 10/10/2015
271 - Georgia Southern, 12/14/2012 (FCS semifinal)
267 - vs. Illinois State, 1/10/2015 (FCS championship)
262 - Wofford, 12/8/2012 (FCS quarterfinal)
253 - at Western Illinois, 10/4/2014

Go Bison!

Dewey
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171208/0a60261f19d86931a13efe11156cd15d.jpg

dewey
December 8th, 2017, 07:05 AM
Happy Bison football Eve everyone!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171208/f4641da38bab65051b06713403dc7ef8.jpg

Dewey

MR. CHICKEN
December 8th, 2017, 07:10 AM
Happy Bison football Eve everyone!

Dewey https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171208/f4641da38bab65051b06713403dc7ef8.jpg

......JES'...'NOTHERAH FRIDAY NIGHT......WHIFF-OUT LIGHTS.......IN NEW-ARK.....xsighx....AWK!

dewey
December 8th, 2017, 07:11 AM
......JES'...'NOTHERAH FRIDAY NIGHT......WHIFF-OUT LIGHTS.......IN NEW-ARK.....xsighx....AWK!

Come on over to the green ad yellow side Mr Chickenxthumbsupx

Dewey

Terrier19
December 8th, 2017, 07:22 AM
WOFFORD BOYS IN THE AIR!!!!!!!!

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2017, 07:27 AM
WOFFORD BOYS IN THE AIR!!!!!!!!
Not quite but soon.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX8641/history/20171208/1400Z/KGSP/KFAR

Courtesy gumby on Bisonville.

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Not quite but soon.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX8641/history/20171208/1400Z/KGSP/KFAR

Courtesy gumby on Bisonville.

Will this map also show the massive migration of Black & Old Gold festooned vehicles traveling 1,363 miles over the 20 hours and 7 minutes up I-85 Business North to I-26 West to I-40 West to I-75 North to I-64 West to I-65 North to I-94 West to I-294 West around Chicago to I-90 North back to I-94 West to I-35E & I-694 West around Minneapolis to I-94 West to I-29 North to 19th Avenue North to N. University Drive?

Regionalization Smegionalization - they coulda headed 3 hours down I-85 South to I-285 West to I-75 North to Kennesaw.

I vote for Regionalization until the Championship Game! xsmiley_wix

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2017, 09:01 AM
Will this map also show the massive migration of Black & Old Gold festooned vehicles traveling 1,363 miles over the 20 hours and 7 minutes up I-85 Business North to I-26 West to I-40 West to I-75 North to I-64 West to I-65 North to I-94 West to I-294 West around Chicago to I-90 North back to I-94 West to I-35E & I-694 West around Minneapolis to I-94 West to I-29 North to 19th Avenue North to N. University Drive?

Regionalization Smegionalization - they coulda headed 3 hours down I-85 South to I-285 West to I-75 North to Kennesaw.

I vote for Regionalization until the Championship Game! xsmiley_wix

This paragraph gives me a headache.

And Kennesaw would/should come to us

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2017, 09:07 AM

And Kennesaw would/should come to us

LOL - coming from the headache-inducing paragraph champion of AGS...and, you're right about the direction of travel...so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySXiTknN-g0

BNATION
December 8th, 2017, 09:09 AM

And Kennesaw would/should come to us Young pup, me is thinking that yusa gonna be comin to see us. ;)

Hammerhead
December 8th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering where the Bison ranked in consecutive quarterfinal games. I did a quick scan of the wikipedia page for the FCS championship and didn't notice any other teams with more than 3 consecutive title game appearances.

Here are some interesting postseason records.

EIGHTH STRAIGHT POSTSEASON: This is NDSU's eighth straight FCS playoff appearance and 31st postseason trip overall. The Bison are 60-15 in the postseason and 55-14 in the NCAA playoff format since 1973. North Dakota State has advanced to its eighth straight quarterfinal and a victory over Wofford would send NDSU to its seventh straight semifinal. Marshall is the only other FCS team to have made six straight semifinal appearances (1991-1996).

Consecutive FCS Quarterfinals
8 - North Dakota State, 2010-2017
6 - Appalachian State, 2005-2010
6 - Marshall, 1991-1996
6 - Georgia Southern, 1985-1990
6 - Georgia Southern, 1997-2002
4 - Sam Houston State, 2014-2017
4 - McNeese State 1992-1995
4 - Arkansas State 1984-1987

Consecutive FCS Semifinals
6 - North Dakota State, 2011-2016
6 - Marshall, 1991-1996
5 - Georgia Southern, 1998-2002

If NDSU wins Saturday they will own the record for the most consecutive semi-final appearances in FCS history.

Dewey

FUBeAR
December 8th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Hey 19...The Real 19 didn't bail out over the crib cuz he was skeered of the bizuns, did he?

https://s33.postimg.org/q0i3iwfan/Terriers_Over_KY.jpg

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Still think the ankle biters should have played the ankle twisters.

BreakEvenPeach
December 8th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Still think the ankle biters should have played the ankle twisters.

Haha this killed me

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Who are the ankle twisters again?

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2017, 09:47 AM

We give the Jacks a bad time about Rozenboom twisting Anderson's ankle last year.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2017, 09:47 AM
These guys.

https://twitter.com/Jaybartley34/status/787685380392833025

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2017, 09:58 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but having been bitten on the ankle by a Boston Terrier before I can tell you...they also twist

dewey
December 8th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Game Day Preview 2017: Wofford in the FCS Quarterfinals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABB0yd4Du90

Go Bison!

Dewey

CappinHard
December 8th, 2017, 11:52 AM
I'm sure it depends on who wins, but does anyone know how they decide who gets the Friday game and who gets the Saturday game in the semifinals? Any way to tell which potential matchups would get which game?

Hammerhead
December 8th, 2017, 12:00 PM
NDSU played in the Saturday semifinal in 2011 and has been on the Friday night game every year since then. Not sure if that's a good prediction for this year since JMU is the defending champion.

TheKingpin28
December 8th, 2017, 12:04 PM
I'm sure it depends on who wins, but does anyone know how they decide who gets the Friday game and who gets the Saturday game in the semifinals? Any way to tell which potential matchups would get which game?

I believe they do it based off of potential ratings, but I have been wrong before. How I would view the Friday vs Saturday match-up potentials in order for primetime vs non-primetime.

#1 SDSU vs JMU
#2 SHSU vs NDSU
#3 SHSU vs Wofford
#4 WSU vs SDSU/KSU vs NDSU/KSU vs Wofford
#5 UNH vs JMU
#6 UNH vs WSU

It is in ESPNs best interest to have both SDSU and JMU win as I think that matchup could draw 1M plus on a Friday night.

Hammerhead
December 8th, 2017, 12:36 PM
I doubt the teams playing have a big impact on ratings. Your typical college football fan who follows the FBS probably doesn't even know who's still in the playoffs.

TheKingpin28
December 8th, 2017, 12:42 PM
I doubt the teams playing have a big impact on ratings. Your typical college football fan who follows the FBS probably doesn't even know who's still in the playoffs.

Is that why last year the SDSU vs NDSU match-up for the playoffs received 2M viewers on a Saturday? Ratings are everything to a company hemorrhaging money so anytime they can get the best match-up possible on national TV, they will. See Celebration Bowl on ABC, especially with it being NCAT and Grambling St this year.

dewey
December 8th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Here is a write up of the NDSU-Wofford game tomorrow from ST_Lawson. If you scroll down too far you will see the SDSU-UNH prediction.

http://thefcswedge.com/mvfc/mvfc-playoffs-week-3-preview/

Dewey

UpstateBison
December 8th, 2017, 01:23 PM
In a weather twist, it is snowing like crazy in Spartanburg right now. Game conditions much nicer in Fargo.

gotts
December 8th, 2017, 01:30 PM

If JMU wins, there's about a 98% chance they will be on TV Friday night, regardless of opponent.

Terrier19
December 8th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Hey 19...The Real 19 didn't bail out over the crib cuz he was skeered of the bizuns, did he?

https://s33.postimg.org/q0i3iwfan/Terriers_Over_KY.jpg

Nah....he decided to show up anyway.....Figured he would get whats coming to him....xsmiley_wix

Terrier19
December 8th, 2017, 01:48 PM

BisonTru
December 8th, 2017, 01:52 PM
If JMU wins, there's about a 98% chance they will be on TV Friday night, regardless of opponent.

What's your reasoning here? You think JMU brings more eyeballs to the TV?

gofurman
December 8th, 2017, 02:59 PM
The real irony - if this game was in Spartanburg.. it would be played in the SNOW.. lol

Terrier19
December 8th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Who knew?.....WE left Spartanburg to Fargo, ND to UPGRADE the weather...

Terrier19
December 8th, 2017, 03:39 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26707&stc=1

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Reminds me of this (I couldn't resist)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc9gZnP7MRY

Terrier19
December 8th, 2017, 03:50 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26708&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26709&stc=1

Terrier19
December 8th, 2017, 03:53 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26710&stc=1#19 dialed in........xthumbsupx

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2017, 03:55 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26709&stc=1

Those Wofford boys be like.....

https://media.giphy.com/media/aYhnq8IfT5Jkc/giphy.gif

xlolx

Terrier19
December 8th, 2017, 04:07 PM
https://youtu.be/QB6G4W8Rgxc

Confident Group Ready for Action....

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Mike Ayers is growing the Eric Breitenstein beard

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2017, 04:10 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26707&stc=1

View from my seats.

Terrier19
December 8th, 2017, 04:37 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26711&stc=1

Terrier19
December 8th, 2017, 04:48 PM
http://www.goupstate.com/news/20171207/unfinished-business-for-woffords-brandon-goodson

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2017, 04:48 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26711&stc=1

2 of the smallest schools in Fargo tomorrow. Other 2 in Brookings.

Terrier19
December 8th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Most folks probably think we are missing a number. Nope....we are 1692 strong.

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Hope Klieman saved his notes on Wofford, when he was DC in 2012.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2017, 05:32 PM
If you guys want to hear an elite football mind's thoughts on Wofford check this out: https://youtu.be/Lb9MzVOmueo?t=1m32s

Terrier19
December 8th, 2017, 05:43 PM
If you guys want to hear an elite football mind's thoughts on Wofford check this out: https://youtu.be/Lb9MzVOmueo?t=1m32s

xlolx That's great.

- - - Updated - - -

Most certainly an elite football mind......

cx500d
December 8th, 2017, 07:06 PM
Most folks probably think we are missing a number. Nope....we are 1692 strong.

Yet your endowment is probably the biggest...

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Yet your endowment is probably the biggest...

Our endowment is tiny compared to any college that actually invests in its endowmentxnodx

UpstateBison
December 8th, 2017, 07:10 PM
https://youtu.be/QB6G4W8Rgxc

Confident Group Ready for Action....

I suspect NDSU players are pretty confident as well.

Bisonator
December 8th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Bison senior defensive end Jarrod Tuszka suspended for tomorrows game: https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/939270176494714885

cx500d
December 8th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Bison senior defensive end Jarrod Tuszka suspended for tomorrows game: https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/939270176494714885

Oh boy, another individual selfish act....Team pays the price.

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2017, 07:40 PM
is he a starter or second string?

On a scale of 1 to 5, how bad is this?

cx500d
December 8th, 2017, 07:43 PM

Next man up....We rotate a lot of d-lineman, so impact isn't real bad. More disappointing.

centennial

Professor Chaos

Backup DE. I'd say a 3.5 (if 1 is the worst). The Bison like to rotate a lot on the D-line to keep guys fresh and he would be the #3 or #4 DE so that means the rotation will get a little out of whack.

Bison56
December 8th, 2017, 07:44 PM
That's disappointing.

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2017, 07:45 PM
Looks like his brother(?) is the starter?

http://stats.gobison.com/fb/2017/indgbg.htm#IGBG.PLY

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2017, 07:45 PM
Oh boy, another individual selfish act....Team pays the price.

Making a stupid mistake hurts the team....xmadx

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2017, 07:48 PM
this is like the second suspension in the past 3 weeks or so if I'm not mistaken

cx500d
December 8th, 2017, 07:49 PM
this is like the second suspension in the past 3 weeks or so if I'm not mistaken

The other ones were kicked off the team.

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2017, 07:52 PM
I'm glad that NDSU is no nonsense on this. Last year Youngstown played players that should have been suspended had it not been for a loophole in NCAA regulations, if I'm not mistaken.

Twentysix
December 8th, 2017, 10:14 PM
Can't wait for tomorrow. I hope it's a great game and ndsu wins!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

gofurman
December 8th, 2017, 11:00 PM
I'm glad that NDSU is no nonsense on this. Last year Youngstown played players that should have been suspended had it not been for a loophole in NCAA regulations, if I'm not mistaken.

Agree. At least NDSU does something. Good for NDSU. That means people are disappointed in the guy but not the program.and keeps accountability on these kids- good teachable moment. His fellow players should get on him for this and tell him to keep his sht straight as they need him. That's the way it should work

so now NDSU is out 8 injured guys and some suspensions while Wofford is 100% healthy. 😉

gofurman
December 8th, 2017, 11:02 PM
The other ones were kicked off the team.
Were any of the others that were kicked off the team starters ? I don't think so ?

Smitty
December 9th, 2017, 05:48 AM
Am I seeing this correctly? The ESPN streak team has NDSU as a heavy favorite

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26713&stc=1

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 9th, 2017, 06:20 AM
Bison Game Days in December...gotta love it!!!

Bring on the triple option....xnodx

th0m
December 9th, 2017, 06:43 AM

looks like says what it says. That app predicts there is a 15% chance bizon win by 20+, 85 they dont. Kind of a WAG honestly. Heres to a good game.

TennBison
December 9th, 2017, 07:06 AM
This is getting a little repetitive lately.
Violation of team rules can be anything, lets face it, it is a violation of team rules no matter what the problem is. EVERY violation is a violation of team rules. As if anyone can honestly say that the team would not look at a NCAA violation as if it was not also a team rules violation.

MR. CHICKEN
December 9th, 2017, 07:18 AM
This is getting a little repetitive lately.
Violation of team rules can be anything, lets face it, it is a violation of team rules no matter what the problem is. EVERY violation is a violation of team rules. As if anyone can honestly say that the team would not look at a NCAA violation as if it was not also a team rules violation.

.....DER'S UH JOB....AWAITIN'[email protected] WHITE HOUSE.....xsighx....AWK!

Smitty
December 9th, 2017, 07:43 AM
looks like says what it says. That app predicts there is a 15% chance bizon win by 20+, 85 they dont. Kind of a WAG honestly. Heres to a good game.

Well 15% of people have picked they would win by 20. They try to make these picks competitive and use Vegas odds

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 9th, 2017, 07:44 AM

That corresponds to NDSU being around a 5-10 point favorite.

Terrier19
December 9th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Agree. At least NDSU does something. Good for NDSU. That means people are disappointed in the guy but not the program.and keeps accountability on these kids- good teachable moment. His fellow players should get on him for this and tell him to keep his sht straight as they need him. That's the way it should work

so now NDSU is out 8 injured guys and some suspensions while Wofford is 100% healthy. 

Oh we are most certainly not 100% healthy....

Terrier19
December 9th, 2017, 09:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94&amp;t=47s

WHATS HAPPENING AROUND MY OFFICE ALL MORNING!!!!!!!

veinup
December 9th, 2017, 09:15 AM
i haven't seen wofford play since a certain game about ten years ago. hope this is a fun one.

ST_Lawson
December 9th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Well 15% of people have picked they would win by 20. They try to make these picks competitive and use Vegas odds

Seems about right to me. The way I see it, there's probably a 15% chance of Bison blowout, 50% chance of NDSU win but 1-3 possession difference, 15% chance of NDSU winning a nail-biter, another 15% chance of Wofford winning a close one, and 5% chance they win by a few scores.

This is the playoffs though...upsets can and do happen, although it seems less likely in this game than in a couple of other games this weekend.

Reign of Terrier
December 9th, 2017, 09:52 AM

No this means that there's a 15% chance that NDSU blows us out but an 84% chance that it'll be below 20 point spread.

Reign of Terrier
December 9th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Meanwhile, i'm hoping for a good game, with no injuries on both sidesxthumbsupx

I'm gonna check out on here during the game. I may check back in at halftime to give my take of what's going on. If Wofford wins, I won't talk smack but I'll be pretty pumped.

woffordgrad94
December 9th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Too bad the game ain’t in Spartanburg. The Bison would feel right at home here...it’s snowing. Only the second time in my life I can remember snow being on the ground here in December.

centennial
December 9th, 2017, 10:36 AM
Oddly the Fargodome favors Wofford today. NDSU practices outside in the snow and cold quite a bit.

No_Skill
December 9th, 2017, 10:39 AM
McAfee out with a knee injury for Wofford per the pregame show.

woffordgrad94
December 9th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Oddly the Fargodome favors Wofford today. NDSU practices outside in the snow and cold quite a bit.

I agree. But it would be fun to see a game played in the snow at Wofford...I’m not sure if it’s ever happened befote.

Reign of Terrier
December 9th, 2017, 10:43 AM
McAfee injury is huge. Looks like he's out for the year. Damn.

TheKingpin28
December 9th, 2017, 10:43 AM
McAfee out with a knee injury for Wofford per the pregame show.

That sucks and I am sorry to hear that. Next man up for them but that is not easy to replace.

Reign of Terrier
December 9th, 2017, 10:46 AM
As Coach Mike Ayers said, our philosophy is "man down? man up"

Man that sucks that McAfee is out. On a 1 to 5 this is a 3.5 (with 5 being bad)

woffordgrad94
December 9th, 2017, 10:58 AM
McAfee is a significant loss but the Terriers have some depth.

TheKingpin28
December 9th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Let's do this! Hail the Bison!