PDA

View Full Version : "DeCoupling" NCAA Football Classifications

faxjusfax
July 19th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Looks like Div II is trying to help us out here:

http://www2.ncaa.org/media_and_events/association_news/ncaa_news_online/2005/07_18_05/division_ii/4215n21.html

The thing that makes most sense me was posted here a couple of months ago, where the classifications would simply be aligned something like this:

College Bowl classification- 64 equivalencies and above
College Championship classification (CCC?)- 37 to 63 equivalencies (most Div I-AAs)
Small College Championships- up to 36 equivalencies
Non-Scholarship Championship Division- all others

Of course each classification can sub-divide for competitive reasons if they choose.

I know this subject has been hashed out, but it looks like an official proposal may surface soon.

henfan
July 20th, 2005, 12:47 PM
The intent of the D-II proposal is not to help out I-AA, at least that's how the recommendations are being perceived by some leaders in I-AA. From what I understand, there's not a chance that even a small minority in I-AA will buy into D-II's proposal.

Frankly, D-II's problems are D-II's problems. They probably shouldn't rely much on I-AA and the rest of D-I to help them solve their issues, especially since we are in the process of moving in entirely different direction with our own classification label.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 20th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Three subcommittees were established to help the task force move forward:

* Implementation Subcommittee (Tom Brown, Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, chair): This subcommittee will develop strategies for Division II to work with Division I-AA conferences and institutions to explore the viability of "decoupling" NCAA football classification from membership classification in other Divisions I and II sports. The subcommittee also will examine legislation that would need to be modified to implement a new NCAA or Division II football structure.

"Division I-AA should not feel threatened by this examination," Teaff said. "In fact, Division I-AA is facing many of the same issues with scholarship ranges as Division II. I am very concerned about the health of college football at all levels, and I applaud Division II for taking the initiative."

This smacks to me of a way to put pressure on I-AA to decouple - but I-AA is under no obligation to do anything D-II folks tell us to do. It's worth noting though that there appears to be some opening salvos down here. When I read "Division I-AA should not feel threatened..." to me that is code for "Hey I-AA, listen up!"

Again, I don't think decoupling is a good idea - I think it's fine the way it is. If non or low-scholly I-AA's want to compete here, without a shot at I-AA playoffs, why not?