PDA

View Full Version : Stitt fired, Hauck hired(?)

Silenoz
November 20th, 2017, 03:35 PM
https://skylinesportsmt.com/bob-stitt-out-as-montana-head-coach/

Double wow. I don't know what to feel right now.

Presumably the Hauck part is a typo and we'll do a search, but I dunno. I'm no insider who "played the game" or anything

edit: Yeah, they fixed the typo

POD Knows
November 20th, 2017, 03:37 PM
https://skylinesportsmt.com/bob-stitt-out-as-montana-head-coach/

Double wow. I don't know what to feel right now.Why do you have mixed feelings, do you like losing.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 20th, 2017, 03:37 PM
Granted I knew this was happening before the Eastern game but I don't have mixed feelings.

Good riddence

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Silenoz
November 20th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Why do you have mixed feelings, do you like losing.

I don't understand the article, but it says Hauck was hired. But then says he was in contact? The first line must be a mistake.

FargoBison
November 20th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Nice to see Montana taking the step needed to become relevant again.

Silenoz
November 20th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Why do you have mixed feelings, do you like losing.

You're also assuming this will end our losing...

POD Knows
November 20th, 2017, 03:41 PM
You're also assuming this will end our losing...Well, the known is you seem to be a program in decline, I would rather take my chances with the unknown in that situation.

Silenoz
November 20th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Well, the known is you seem to be a program in decline, I would rather take my chances with the unknown in that situation.
Hauck isn't an unknown. He took the top program in FCS, and kept it just stable enough to beat up a terrible Big Sky conference, with weak-as-**** OOC games, home playoff games, and took our reputation into the toilet with off-the-field incidents. I also have zero confidence we're magically going to become relevant again under him.

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Aside from that first game win against NDSU, Stitt was a waste of 3 years for the Griz.

POD Knows
November 20th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Hauck isn't an unknown. He took the top program in FCS, and kept it just stable enough to beat up a terrible Big Sky conference, with weak-as-**** OOC games, home playoff games, and took our reputation into the toilet with off-the-field incidents. I also have zero confidence we're magically going to become relevant again under him.OK, is he hired or not? Why would UM go back to him. You would think this job would be a dream job for somebody.

Silenoz
November 20th, 2017, 03:58 PM
OK, is he hired or not? Why would UM go back to him. You would think this job would be a dream job for somebody.

I have no idea

Skyline Sports confirmed Stitt’s firing and Hauck’s hiring through multiple unattached sources on Monday afternoon.

Three unattached sources with direct knowledge of the opening confirmed that former Montana head coach Bobby Hauck and former Montana quarterback Brent Pease have already been in direct contact with Haslam about the position.

IBleedYellow
November 20th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Stitthappens?

Schism55
November 20th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Wow, unexpected.
Good move for the Griz.
#MMGA!

dbackjon
November 20th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Come on - give him another year

centennial
November 20th, 2017, 04:19 PM
Egriz must be a fun place right now.

wapiti
November 20th, 2017, 04:22 PM
I was really starting to enjoy Stitt.

Catbooster
November 20th, 2017, 04:26 PM
2 of the last 3 Cat/Griz games led to head coaches being fired.

POD Knows
November 20th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Made my first trip to the eGriz site to look at a thread regarding the playoffs and solutions to the selection process, one idea that is getting a lot of support over there is that only the top two teams from each conference get into the playoffs. My question is, how ****ing stupid are these people over there? Also, sorry for the thread drift

Silenoz
November 20th, 2017, 04:27 PM
2 of the last 3 Cat/Griz games led to head coaches being fired.

Who knew the battle to be the 150th best team in the nation was such high-stakes stuff

NoVABison
November 20th, 2017, 04:30 PM
How does this recruiting for the 2018 class?

This sucks but I think it was needed... wish for a return to dominance for the storied Griz.

Grizalltheway
November 20th, 2017, 04:31 PM
Egriz must be a fun place right now.

The consensus seems to be that it's the right move.

Silenoz
November 20th, 2017, 04:34 PM
Made my first trip to the eGriz site to look at a thread regarding the playoffs and solutions to the selection process, one idea that is getting a lot of support over there is that only the top two teams from each conference get into the playoffs. My question is, how ****ing stupid are these people over there? Also, sorry for the thread drift
Translation; someone said this, someone else liked it, and then others pointed out it was stupid

POD Knows
November 20th, 2017, 04:44 PM
Translation; someone said this, someone else liked it, and then others pointed out it was stupidLooked to me like there was 4 or 5 people all over it with glee, I quit reading the thread, maybe the necessary keyboard beat down occurred later in thread.

BisonTru
November 20th, 2017, 04:48 PM
Good move by the Griz. I've long been an advocate that Stitt isn't a good fit at Montana. I'm not overly familiar with Hauck as I didn't follow FCS football as much in his tenure, but he does seem like the obvious pick given his track record at Montana.

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Bob Nielson anyone?

POD Knows
November 20th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Matt Entz, NDSU xcoffeex

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 04:52 PM
no, Montana isn't going to go with someone that hasn't been a head coach before.

Silenoz
November 20th, 2017, 04:53 PM
no, Montana isn't going to go with someone that hasn't been a head coach before.

I'd be fine with hiring your waterboy. Maybe something will rub off

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 04:54 PM
I'd be fine with hiring your waterboy. Maybe something will rub off

No, Bobby Boucher is at Nicholls

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2017, 04:55 PM
I remember Stitt being hailed as an offensive genius.

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 04:56 PM
I remember Stitt being hailed as an offensive genius.

He was, for one smokey game.

Catbooster
November 20th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Bobby's an associate head coach at San Diego State. Would it be a reduction in pay to go back to UM?

Silenoz
November 20th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Bobby's an associate head coach at San Diego State. Would it be a reduction in pay to go back to UM?
I'm sure it's smaller than Choate's was...

mvemjsunpx
November 20th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Really stupid decision, IMO. Program stability had already been a big problem this decade, so you make it even more unstable? It's not like Stitt went 4-7. Also, the leading rumor/theory is that Haslam fully wanted to extend Stitt and a rich booster(s) twisted his arm hard enough that he felt forced to change his mind.

The Griz are officially Nebraska when they fired Frank Solich & replaced him with Bill Callahan. xsmhx

Silenoz
November 20th, 2017, 05:14 PM
Really stupid decision, IMO. Program stability had already been a big problem this decade, so you make it even more unstable? It's not like Stitt went 4-7. Also, the leading rumor/theory is that Haslam fully wanted to extend Stitt and a rich booster(s) twisted his arm hard enough that he felt forced to change his mind.

The Griz are officially Nebraska when they fired Frank Solich & replaced him with Bill Callahan. xsmhx

People are high fiving around here. I'm thinking I'll celebrate after we're a top program again. When and if that ever happens...

mvemjsunpx
November 20th, 2017, 05:14 PM
People are high fiving around here. I'm thinking I'll celebrate after we're a top program again. When and if that ever happens...

I think this decision made this outcome less likely.

wapiti
November 20th, 2017, 05:15 PM
A rich booster is calling the shots for the Missoula football program. Maybe dUMb could remove the AD position and just have this booster do the job as a volunteer.
It would help them with their budget problems.

mvemjsunpx
November 20th, 2017, 05:24 PM
A rich booster is calling the shots for the Missoula football program. Maybe dUMb could remove the AD position and just have this booster do the job as a volunteer.
It would help them with their budget problems.

Please don't give them any ideas. xoopsx

Catbooster
November 20th, 2017, 05:27 PM
I'm sure it's smaller than Choate's was...
Maybe - I don't really know. But I don't think Choate was in line to be the new head coach when the current one retires. It's just message board gossip, I suppose, but I've read numerous times that's the case with Bobby.

It seemed that last time the Griz hired a coach, there was lots of conjecture that Bobby's reputation was tarnished and they didn't consider him a viable candidate.

Personally, I don't see why they would limit themselves to a few familiar names (Hauck, Pease) who were not hired previous times rather than opening it up. Maybe they still end up with a familiar guy, but why not see who else will apply? Head coach at Montana would still be a desirable job. I'm guessing that it isn't just those names that have surfaced, and that Haslam's been spending a bunch of time on the phone after his meeting this morning.

FargoBison
November 20th, 2017, 05:27 PM

Not sure about that....That said Nebraska fires their coach every three years but if I was going to make a Callahan comp it would be with Stitt. Outside the box hire that wasn't working all that well.

Still seems weird that Hauck is coming back, coaches don't typically make a comeback.

BisonFan02
November 20th, 2017, 06:05 PM
Hire Wyoming's OC.

uofmman1122
November 20th, 2017, 06:08 PM
I’d be okay with Bobby back, but if it’s not him and just some other guy, I think we made a huge mistake.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2017, 06:17 PM
Maybe - I don't really know. But I don't think Choate was in line to be the new head coach when the current one retires. It's just message board gossip, I suppose, but I've read numerous times that's the case with Bobby.

It seemed that last time the Griz hired a coach, there was lots of conjecture that Bobby's reputation was tarnished and they didn't consider him a viable candidate.

Personally, I don't see why they would limit themselves to a few familiar names (Hauck, Pease) who were not hired previous times rather than opening it up. Maybe they still end up with a familiar guy, but why not see who else will apply? Head coach at Montana would still be a desirable job. I'm guessing that it isn't just those names that have surfaced, and that Haslam's been spending a bunch of time on the phone after his meeting this morning.
Yeah, it would be kind of shortsighted IMO to assume Hauck is the best fit. Montana is an attractive HC job... they might be surprised to see the type of coaches that would apply if they opened it up nationally.

Hire Wyoming's OC.
That would be a pretty decent hire in my mind but I'm not sure that style would play too well in Montana. In Missoula in 2015 I recall numerous Griz fans lamenting Mick Delaney's offensive ground and pound approach and how ineffective it was.

Grizzlies82
November 20th, 2017, 06:21 PM
Yeah, it would be kind of shortsighted IMO to assume Hauck is the best fit. Montana is an attractive HC job... they might be surprised to see the type of coaches that would apply if they opened it up nationally.

Yes, Montana is an attractive head coaching job, except for the comparatively very modest pay scale combined with the fan base's expectation to play for the championship every year.

In other words, Nick Saban results expectations combined with Saban's pool boy's salary.

Bison56
November 20th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Yes, Montana is an attractive head coaching job, except for the comparatively very modest pay scale combined with the fan base's expectation to play for the championship every year.

In other words, Nick Saban results expectations combined with Saban's pool boy's salary.

xlolx

veinup
November 20th, 2017, 06:26 PM
best of luck and happy trails to coach bob.

FargoBison
November 20th, 2017, 06:33 PM
Hire Wyoming's OC.I think I would hire Polasek before Vigen....but that has more to do with recruiting purposes.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

mvemjsunpx
November 20th, 2017, 06:58 PM
I’d be okay with Bobby back, but if it’s not him and just some other guy, I think we made a huge mistake.

I'd much rather have Stitt than Hauck (he's hard to root for), but I suppose it could be worse. Brent Pease is apparently a candidate.

Maybe Haslem will say "**** everything" and hire Mike Kramer. xlolxxsighx

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 20th, 2017, 07:42 PM
Hauck isn't an unknown. He took the top program in FCS, and kept it just stable enough to beat up a terrible Big Sky conference, with weak-as-**** OOC games, home playoff games, and took our reputation into the toilet with off-the-field incidents. I also have zero confidence we're magically going to become relevant again under him.Yep same here but it's gonna be epic watching him crash hard. Hauck maintains programs he doesn't build them.

JALMOND
November 20th, 2017, 07:53 PM
I'd much rather have Stitt than Hauck (he's hard to root for), but I suppose it could be worse. Brent Pease is apparently a candidate.

After dealing with Stitt, you're going to give Pease a chance?xlolx

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 20th, 2017, 08:46 PM
Pease has MANY qualities that Stitt didn't have.

He's a man for one he's not a 5'6" nothing with a Napoleonic complex

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2017, 06:44 AM
Hire Wyoming's OC.

Decent choice IMO.

Iridebikes
November 21st, 2017, 07:19 AM

From the outside that's what it looks like to me as well. Little to no direction or leadership for the program. So what happens if Hauck does not win? The landscape of the conference and the mentality of the athlete has changed since he was last in Missoula.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 21st, 2017, 10:48 AM
Yep so Hauck needs to get rid of the athletes with that mentality and get back to winning football games. Those athletes that wont perform will be gone, and thats the way it should be.

Professor Chaos
May 22nd, 2018, 05:08 PM
Ol' BobS titt made one last funny on his way out of Missoula:

https://twitter.com/CoachBobStitt/status/998901774428790785

xlolx

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 23rd, 2018, 08:39 AM
I can't see his account........ Weird

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180523/faed84c3bbb9af249bff4a3a2a93e4cf.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
May 23rd, 2018, 12:53 PM
Ol' BobS titt made one last funny on his way out of Missoula:

https://twitter.com/CoachBobStitt/status/998901774428790785

xlolx

Agree. xlolx

centennial
May 23rd, 2018, 01:22 PM
I can't see his account........ Weird

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180523/faed84c3bbb9af249bff4a3a2a93e4cf.jpg

Must have worked extra hard to get a college coach to block you.

dewey
May 23rd, 2018, 03:32 PM
Here is his post for those that got blocked.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27647&stc=1

Dewey

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 23rd, 2018, 04:57 PM
Damn that tweet was more offensive.......... Than his offense