PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology - Final

Pages : 1 [2]

mvemjsunpx
November 20th, 2017, 05:17 PM
No, it was 2014...

Well, that too. They were #1 in 2005, also, and that one sticks in mind better for some reason.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 20th, 2017, 05:20 PM
And even for all the UNH hate on here, in 2013 UNH barely squeaked in and made it to the semifinals before the buzzsaw in Fargo.

That's true but it's still funny that they started with a home game against a 5-6 team. So they squeaked in and were tossed a cupcake at home to get things going.

The same thing played out this year. CCSU is better than Lafayette in 2013 but they're still one of the 2-3 weakest teams in the field.

If nothings else, UNH should not be always be at home against these perceived "weak" opponents imo. From the outside, there's doubt that UNH has received some favorable matchups/outcomes. Part of the reason imo is the fact that the playoffs are not built on merit but rather numerous other factors. UNH fans should love it!

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Well, that too. They were #1 in 2005, also, and that one sticks in mind better for some reason.

2004 and 2005 are ancient history, We call that years 7 and 6 BB

Hammerhead
November 21st, 2017, 01:08 PM
From 2010 - 2016, MVFC teams have a .792 winning pct. in the playoffs when facing teams from other conferences. Even if you take away NDSU's record, the rest of the conference is still .667.

WrenFGun
November 21st, 2017, 01:35 PM
That's true but it's still funny that they started with a home game against a 5-6 team. So they squeaked in and were tossed a cupcake at home to get things going.

The same thing played out this year. CCSU is better than Lafayette in 2013 but they're still one of the 2-3 weakest teams in the field.

If nothings else, UNH should not be always be at home against these perceived "weak" opponents imo. From the outside, there's doubt that UNH has received some favorable matchups/outcomes. Part of the reason imo is the fact that the playoffs are not built on merit but rather numerous other factors. UNH fans should love it!

I mean, do you want the committee to take a smaller bid for some reason? That wouldn't really make any sense.

TennBison
November 22nd, 2017, 08:22 PM
2010 NDSU hardly made it in. And took the eventual national champions EWU right down to the goal line in OT. Beat the mighty Montana team as well.

mvemjsunpx
November 22nd, 2017, 10:17 PM
2010 NDSU hardly made it in. And took the eventual national champions EWU right down to the goal line in OT. Beat the mighty Montana team as well.

Montana State. The Griz weren't in the playoffs that year.

TennBison
November 23rd, 2017, 04:00 AM
Montana State. The Griz weren't in the playoffs that year.
Sorry, it was my intention to mean it as if saying team from the state of Montana.

Gangtackle11
November 23rd, 2017, 04:26 AM
UNH is in a favorable location in a tourney that bases its matchups mainly by distance. There are currently 3 conferences that are perceived weaker than the rest and that’s the NEC, Pioneer, & Patriot (most years not all) . The NEC & PL qualifier more times than not will be the closest opponent if UNH is to play in the 1st round. The other advantage is the tourney determines 1st round sites by $$$ bid not merit.

You guys can complain all you want about who & where UNH plays, but there is no change apparently on the horizon coming from the NCAA. NEC/PL AQ teams are going to start at UNH when they make the playoffs (which they have 14 straight times). It’s as certain as death & taxes.

kalm
November 23rd, 2017, 07:52 AM
UNH is in a favorable location in a tourney that bases its matchups mainly by distance. There are currently 3 conferences that are perceived weaker than the rest and that’s the NEC, Pioneer, & Patriot (most years not all) . The NEC & PL qualifier more times than not will be the closest opponent if UNH is to play in the 1st round. The other advantage is the tourney determines 1st round sites by $$$ bid not merit.

You guys can complain all you want about who & where UNH plays, but there is no change apparently on the horizon coming from the NCAA. NEC/PL AQ teams are going to start at UNH when they make the playoffs (which they have 14 straight times). It’s as certain as death & taxes.

Agreed. Regionalization and conference affiliation seem to play two of the most significant rolls in the selection process and brackets. The 400 mile rule (like several others the committee clings to from time to time) appears to be soft when you consider NAU and San Diego. I just googled the distance from the San Diego's campus to the Walkup Skydome and it's 488.1 miles. City of San Diego to Flagstaff is 487. According to the rules once it's over 400 miles they can fly anywhere. How does one of the last teams in get the Pioneer Champ when it's not a required bus trip and the winner is flying to Fargo the next week?

I would also remind that proximity to weaker conferences benefits the CAA and SoCon quite a bit when it comes to playoff at larges and seedings. For example, how else do you get 9-2 Wofford who has just two wins against teams with winning records, the best being a bubble team in Furman, and the 45th SoS over 9-2 SUU with wins against 3 playoff teams two of which are marginal top 10 and the 9th rated SoS? Think about that. SUU has more wins over playoff teams than Wofford has over teams with winning records.

This is why conspiracy theories are formed. This is not how you conduct a championship.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2017, 08:00 AM
Agreed. Regionalization and conference affiliation seem to play two of the most significant rolls in the selection process and brackets. The 400 mile rule (like several others the committee clings to from time to time) appears to be soft when you consider NAU and San Diego. I just googled the distance from the San Diego's campus to the Walkup Skydome and it's 488.1 miles. City of San Diego to Flagstaff is 487. According to the rules once it's over 400 miles they can fly anywhere. How does one of the last teams in get the Pioneer Champ when it's not a required bus trip and the winner is flying to Fargo the next week?

I would also remind that proximity to weaker conferences benefits the CAA and SoCon quite a bit when it comes to playoff at larges and seedings. For example, how else do you get 9-2 Wofford who has just two wins against teams with winning records, the best being a bubble team in Furman, and the 45th SoS over 9-2 SUU with wins against 3 playoff teams two of which are marginal top 10 and the 9th rated SoS? Think about that. SUU has more wins over playoff teams than Wofford has over teams with winning records.

This is why conspiracy theories are formed. This is not how you conduct a championship.

Western FCS teams are always going to get the "shaft" come playoff selection time....there just not many of us out here. Eastern conferences are close to each other distance wise. Look at SDSU continually being fed to Fargo. The 2014 SDSU would have beat every other team in the playoffs that year.

I'm just surprised they didn't put SDSU at #6 to create a bus trip to Fargo.....again....xrolleyesx

I thought EWU was heading to Fargo or Brookings if they won their first game this year....a 7-4 team with that SOS not being in is a joke.

Gangtackle11
November 23rd, 2017, 08:32 AM

Agreed. They should seed the whole playoffs. Not going to happen so it’s not balanced. In the end the best team usually wins & the rest go home. I don’t see it changing when most FCS games draw 10,000 or less fans. A lot 5,000 or less. There’s no financial gain so the NCAA puts out a poor model to save $$$.

ps: EWU deserved to be in from where I sit.

aceinthehole
November 23rd, 2017, 10:20 AM

Agreed.

It would have been interesting if UNH and Stony Brook didn't meet in the regular season. They could of sent UNH down to Long Island this year and paired up CCSU with Lehigh. I'm not suggesting the would, but they could.

This year they could of kept Monmouth in the region to play CCSU and sent UNH to Northern Iowa. If your not seeding everyone, why not put New Hampshire on a plane instead of Monmouth?

Gangtackle11
November 23rd, 2017, 10:27 AM
Agreed.

It would have been interesting if UNH and Stony Brook didn't meet in the regular season. They could of sent UNH down to Long Island this year and paired up CCSU with Lehigh. I'm not suggesting the would, but they could.

This year they could of kept Monmouth in the region to play CCSU and sent UNH to Northern Iowa. If your not seeding everyone, why not put New Hampshire on a plane instead of Monmouth?

$$$.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 23rd, 2017, 06:15 PM
No, it was 2014...

I don't think UNH was #1 in 2014

cx500d
November 23rd, 2017, 10:38 PM
I don't think UNH was #1 in 2014
Not in the end, but they were in the bracket...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2285578-fcs-playoff-bracket-2014-preview-and-predictions-for-2nd-round

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/KD5D6dIEsHF7fu5DfMbPgJhh1D4=/1600x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2803800/Screen_Shot_2014-12-20_at_5.12.52_PM.0.png

FargoBison
November 25th, 2017, 09:25 PM
A lot of AGS bracketologists had NAU and UNH out...guess we knew what were doing...the committee not so much.

Mattymc727
November 25th, 2017, 11:58 PM
A lot of AGS bracketologists had NAU and UNH out...guess we knew what were doing...the committee not so much.

Wait, UNH wins and we get lumped in with a blowout loss by NAU? What about Monmouth? What about Samford? You guys are so blind. The MVFC almost went 0-2 today. There is much more parity in the fcs than what AGS thinks there is.

UNH won’t be going much further, but Christ the hate in this board is REAL, and it doesn’t exist for anyone else.

FargoBison
November 26th, 2017, 12:07 AM
I forgot about Monmouth...my apologies. Samford though played a really solid team.

The MVFC was 2-1...Which was fine...even though I never made any proclamations of MVFC domination.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

WrenFGun
November 26th, 2017, 08:18 AM
Yeah monmouth and NAU show they were a joke, but let's **** on a team that won with a shutout.

ElCid
November 26th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Yeah monmouth and NAU show they were a joke, but let's **** on a team that won with a shutout.

I don't think NH's defense is the issue. Played pretty well all year and against some good offenses. However, on Offense......? Need to get going if they are to have any chance next week.

Gangtackle11
November 26th, 2017, 08:40 AM
The last 8 teams in aren’t going to make noise in the FCS playoffs. Putting a 5th or 6th team from a power conference vs. a top team from lesser FCS conference doesn’t have any impact after the 1st round usually.

Yes, every once once in awhile a San Diego or Colgate knock off someone, but they are gone when the big boys play 99% of the time.

The days of Colgate or Lehigh making a championship run are over in today’s FCS.

The 1st round is full of 9-2 teams that aren’t better than 5-6 power conference teams. In the end they all are gone by the final 8 usually.

The NCAA chooses to reward the better teams from lesser conferences than a mediocre power conference team.

The SIU is better than Monmouth posts are probably correct, but when the final 8 are standing both would be in the same place. Home watching.

kalm
November 26th, 2017, 09:00 AM
The last 8 teams in aren’t going to make noise in the FCS playoffs. Putting a 5th or 6th team from a power conference vs. a top team from lesser FCS conference doesn’t have any impact after the 1st round usually.

Yes, every once once in awhile a San Diego or Colgate knock off someone, but they are gone when the big boys play 99% of the time.

The days of Colgate or Lehigh making a championship run are over in today’s FCS.

The 1st round is full of 9-2 teams that aren’t better than 5-6 power conference teams. In the end they all are gone by the final 8 usually.

The NCAA chooses to reward the better teams from lesser conferences than a mediocre power conference team.

The SIU is better than Monmouth posts are probably correct, but when the final 8 are standing both would be in the same place. Home watching.

Mostly true but also remember Colgate beat both UNH and JMU two years ago.

It also affects the pathways. A team that draws weak opponents might be better rested come the later rounds than say a Weber State that would have to go through two slobberknockers in WIU and SUU. Of course you could make the argument they are more battle tested if they make the quarters, and a team with a weaker path might become complacent and get ambushed.

At larges are also a big deal for up and coming programs trying to establish momentum, they certainly help with recruiting, and the extra practice days are also an advantage.

Then there's the financial impact of hosting events for the local communities, many of them small towns where even a less than stellar turnout still means motel rooms occupied, liquor and grocery store sales increase, and bar business improves.

None of this should impact the selections. I'm just saying there's a little more to it than the "who cares, they'd be out by the quarters anyway" argument.

PantherRob82
November 26th, 2017, 09:08 AM
It also affects the pathways. A team that draws weak opponents might be better rested come the later rounds than say a Weber State that would have to go through two slobberknockers in WIU and SUU.

Yeah, you gotta feel for SDSU who gets an opponent who had half a bye this week. You might argue that UNI getting a week of game prep and some full speed reps leaves them better prepared for round 2.

Gangtackle11
November 26th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Mostly true but also remember Colgate beat both UNH and JMU two years ago.

It also affects the pathways. A team that draws weak opponents might be better rested come the later rounds than say a Weber State that would have to go through two slobberknockers in WIU and SUU. Of course you could make the argument they are more battle tested if they make the quarters, and a team with a weaker path might become complacent and get ambushed.

At larges are also a big deal for up and coming programs trying to establish momentum, they certainly help with recruiting, and the extra practice days are also an advantage.

Then there's the financial impact of hosting events for the local communities, many of them small towns where even a less than stellar turnout still means motel rooms occupied, liquor and grocery store sales increase, and bar business improves.

None of this should impact the selections. I'm just saying there's a little more to it than the "who cares, they'd be out by the quarters anyway" argument.

The aberration to the norm now.

Daytripper
November 26th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Wait, UNH wins and we get lumped in with a blowout loss by NAU? What about Monmouth? What about Samford? You guys are so blind. The MVFC almost went 0-2 today. There is much more parity in the fcs than what AGS thinks there is.

UNH won’t be going much further, but Christ the hate in this board is REAL, and it doesn’t exist for anyone else.

Oh, yes it does....

FargoBison
November 26th, 2017, 11:03 AM

CCSU had their back up QB and then for a quarter they had a RB play QB since they didn't want to burn a freshman's redshirt. Not like that shutout means anything, it was one of the ugliest playoff games I've ever watched.

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2017, 03:18 PM
CCSU had their back up QB and then for a quarter they had a RB play QB since they didn't want to burn a freshman's redshirt. Not like that shutout means anything, it was one of the ugliest playoff games I've ever watched.

I bet not many choose to watch though

Panthers1995
November 26th, 2017, 08:04 PM

But why not give a team that could possibly make a run in the playoffs a chance? Monmouth had no shot from the opening kick yesterday. A team like Austin Peay or Illinois State would have given a much better game then Monmouth. The game was over after the second play.

Gangtackle11
November 26th, 2017, 08:13 PM
But why not give a team that could possibly make a run in the playoffs a chance? Monmouth had no shot from the opening kick yesterday. A team like Austin Peay or Illinois State would have given a much better game then Monmouth. The game was over after the second play.

Don’t disagree although you never know for sure. . I’m just reporting the news not making it. xpeacex

cx500d
November 26th, 2017, 08:16 PM
Don’t disagree although you never know for sure. . I’m just reporting the news not making it. xpeacex

That's confusing, because thats much different then an actual Reporter.

Gangtackle11
November 26th, 2017, 08:19 PM
That's confusing, because thats much different then an actual Reporter.

Especially in today’s world. ✌️

PantherRob82
November 26th, 2017, 08:36 PM

There’s no proof Austin Peay would have been any better.

cx500d
November 26th, 2017, 08:37 PM

I agree.

FargoBison
November 26th, 2017, 08:43 PM
I bet not many choose to watch though

Not sure why I watched so much of it other than it was like a train wreck...I just couldn't look away.

Gangtackle11
November 26th, 2017, 08:49 PM
Not sure why I watched so much of it other than it was like a train wreck...I just couldn't look away.

Sure was. Monmouth wasn’t ready for the big boys. That’s for sure.

Panthers1995
November 26th, 2017, 08:51 PM
There is proof that Illinois State, Eastern Washington or maybe even Montana would have been better.

cx500d
November 26th, 2017, 08:53 PM
There is proof that Illinois State, Eastern Washington or maybe even Montana would have been better.

I notice nobody is including other Softland teams such as McNeese in this group....

Gangtackle11
November 26th, 2017, 08:55 PM

I think EWU was the team most screwed. I was surprised they were left out.

- - - Updated - - -

I notice nobody is including other Softland teams such as McNeese in this group....

Yes. They should have been in too.

PantherRob82
November 26th, 2017, 08:58 PM

I can agree with those teams. Austin Peay was a good story and nothing else.

Daytripper
November 26th, 2017, 08:59 PM
Proof???

Panthers1995
November 26th, 2017, 09:01 PM
Proof???
Yeah go to ESPN.com and look at the teams Monmouth beat, then go to look at the teams that Illinois State beat and then continue to do for the other teams listed. Proof.

Cocky
November 26th, 2017, 09:23 PM
Yeah go to ESPN.com and look at the teams Monmouth beat, then go to look at the teams that Illinois State beat and then continue to do for the other teams listed. Proof.
Or look at the team who beat ISUr performance yesterday. Proof ISUr didnt belong in the playoffs.

ElCid
November 26th, 2017, 09:30 PM
Or look at the team who beat ISUr performance yesterday. Proof ISUr didnt belong in the playoffs.

Can't use rational points with Valley Novemberists....or any Novemberists for that matter. That is why they are Novemberists.

Daytripper
November 26th, 2017, 09:34 PM

Exactly. The evidence only matters to MVFC peeps when it supports their arguments...

cx500d
November 26th, 2017, 09:56 PM
Exactly. The evidence only matters to MVFC peeps when it supports their arguments...

So the associative property works when you want it to work?

Cocky
November 26th, 2017, 10:08 PM
So the associative property works when you want it to work?
In any order you want to put it. Or it does in multiplication and addition

Gangtackle11
November 26th, 2017, 10:17 PM

So I had to look:
ISUr
Wins:
Butler
EIU
Mizzou State
Indiana State
South Dakota
Youngstown State

Losses:
NAU
SIU
WIU
SDSU
NDSU

Certainly can make a case against Monmouth, but the others like EWU, Delaware, etc.?? Idk.

Court of public opinion your responses?

cx500d
November 26th, 2017, 10:19 PM
So I had to look:
ISUr
Wins:
Butler
EIU
Mizzou State
Indiana State
South Dakota
Youngstown State

Losses:
NAU
SIU
WIU
SDSU
NDSU

meh

Panthers1995
November 26th, 2017, 10:19 PM
So I had to look:
ISUr
Wins:
Butler
EIU
Mizzou State
Indiana State
South Dakota
Youngstown State

Losses:
NAU
SIU
WIU
SDSU
NDSU

To be fair, every single team they beat and lost to would beat Monmouth. Besides Indiana State.

Gangtackle11
November 26th, 2017, 10:24 PM
To be fair, every single team they beat and lost to would beat Monmouth. Besides Indiana State.

Im not really a Massey guy, but many on here are:

Massey has Monmouth ranked ahead of Mizzou State, EIU, Butler, & Indiana State. Just to be fair.xpeacex

ElCid
November 26th, 2017, 10:40 PM
Im not really a Massey guy, but many on here are:

Massey has Monmouth ranked ahead of Mizzou State, EIU, Butler, & Indiana State. Just to be fair.xpeacex

One thing I love is to see people cite Massey or Sagarin when it fits their argument, but remain quiet, or even disavow it, when it doesn't. I have seen some use it to justify their top 25 vote. It is easy to see when people post their polls. If anyone uses it to create their poll, they should have their poll license taken away. I use it but only as one of many data points. It can be garbage in, garbage out.