PDA

View Full Version : Who will Holy Cross hire?

Franks Tanks
November 13th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Any rumors circulating regarding the hot names for the next coach at Holy Cross?

The season is over for the Crusaders and the stated reason for the mid-season firing of Gilmore was to have a coach in place ASAP for the new December signing period. May we expect an announcement soon?

I assume they are looking at someone from the CAA or FBS rather than the Ivy or lower level ranks. Does anyone have any info?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 12th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Any word out of Worcester?

cx500d
December 12th, 2017, 08:40 PM
I'm guessing Mike Houston since he just signed a 10 year extension.

DFW HOYA
December 12th, 2017, 08:59 PM
Footballscoop.com had a list that included Assumption (Div. II) coach Bob Chesney, and Harvard OC Joel Lamb.

Although PL fans don't like to admit it, this conference isn't a destination for coaches, and HC is a good example. Where Mark Duffner once came to Worcester as the defensive coordinator at Cincinnati and Rick Carter from a undefeated team at Dayton, more recent hires were either alumni or regional candidates such as Dan Allen (BU) and Tom Gilmore (Penn).

Imagine if HC shook up the sleepy PL with a recently released I-A coach like David Baliff (Rice), Todd Graham (Arizona St.) or even former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer. A job in the PL should not be the coaching equivalent of an early retirement plan for an Ivy League coordinator.

CFBfan
December 13th, 2017, 09:16 AM
I heard Kevin Kelly is available

crusader11
December 13th, 2017, 09:40 AM
It's been two months since Tom Gilmore was fired. Still no coach. We are now losing recruits who have verbally committed to HC. Nate Pine, this is on you.

It took Lafayette three weeks to hire John Garrett after Tavani resigned.

Sader87
December 13th, 2017, 09:48 AM
If anyone would like to follow the soap opera/circus this process has become:

http://crossports.freeforums.net/thread/1868/coaching-candidates?page=58

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2017, 10:17 AM
If anyone would like to follow the soap opera/circus this process has become:

http://crossports.freeforums.net/thread/1868/coaching-candidates?page=58

Are they talking about Tony Reno, Yale head coach, or Jean Reno, part-time actor, as a potential candidate? Either possibility is equally ridiculous and equally likely.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Though it is odd it's taking so long for HC to make the hire, I fail to see why Chesney isn't held in esteem with the message board folks. He reminds me a lot of Drew Folmar, who came from D-II to become Lehigh's OC and is now at Elon (and will be on the short list of HC candidates in FCS or maybe even G5 FBS sooner rather than later). Chesney took an Assumpion program punching above its weight and made it into a very solid D-II program.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Cross board unconfirmed reports that Chesney will be HC's new head coach.

Franks Tanks
December 13th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Though it is odd it's taking so long for HC to make the hire, I fail to see why Chesney isn't held in esteem with the message board folks. He reminds me a lot of Drew Folmar, who came from D-II to become Lehigh's OC and is now at Elon (and will be on the short list of HC candidates in FCS or maybe even G5 FBS sooner rather than later). Chesney took an Assumpion program punching above its weight and made it into a very solid D-II program.

Agree. Assumption, and the conference they play in, was always an also ran in D2. He has done a great job there and is a really good hire for Holy Cross. He is a PA guy by the way...Mt. Carmel high school and Dickenson college.

DFW HOYA
December 13th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Holy Cross is running out of opportunities to elevate its program. If it wants to be Lehigh, great, but at some point it won't be able to do much else.

Sader87
December 13th, 2017, 12:19 PM
Holy Cross is running out of opportunities to elevate its program. If it wants to be Lehigh, great, but at some point it won't be able to do much else.

Very true...basically this hiring process brought to the fore how far we have fallen in the pecking order of college football.

Football program is basically too handcuffed by PL restrictions to ever reach the high FCS-level it was at from 1982-1991.

crusader11
December 13th, 2017, 12:53 PM
Are they talking about Tony Reno, Yale head coach, or Jean Reno, part-time actor, as a potential candidate? Either possibility is equally ridiculous and equally likely.

I've heard Reno is legitimately interested in the job.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2017, 01:05 PM
I've heard Reno is legitimately interested in the job.

What I will say is that Reno would be a tremendous hire by Holy Cross, and quite a reversal of fortunes for both programs considering it was Gilmore who interviewed for the Yale vacancy that ended up being filled by Reno. Having said that, it's kid of hard to believe that Holy Cross would outbid Yale for Tony's head coaching services. Why would Reno leave? He's reversed a decade of Harvard dominance over Yale and has built something quite good at Yale thus far.

DFW HOYA
December 13th, 2017, 01:08 PM
What I will say is that Reno would be a tremendous hire by Holy Cross, and quite a reversal of fortunes for both programs considering it was Gilmore who interviewed for the Yale vacancy that ended up being filled by Reno.

Rhetorical question: What does Holy Cross football want to be?

crusader11
December 13th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Two people on the HC board have said it is Chesney, so seems like he's our guy.

PAllen
December 13th, 2017, 03:28 PM

Neither, it's Janet Reno

van
December 13th, 2017, 05:55 PM

Tony Romo mayber?

Go Green
December 14th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Are they talking about Tony Reno, Yale head coach... Either possibility is equally ridiculous and equally likely.

When Reno was hired by Yale, the Yale football blog commentators said he got the job because he was willing to work for peanuts.

If that's accurate, and if HC is willing to pay him more, don't be shocked to see him leave. Happens to Ivy basketball coaches all the time.

Go Green
December 14th, 2017, 11:20 AM
Why would Reno leave? .

Money, if its right.

kdinva
December 14th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Two people on the HC board have said it is Chesney, so seems like he's our guy.

seems correct:

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Holy Cross (FCS – MA):Sources tell FootballScoop that Assumption College (D-II – MA) head coach Bob Chesney will become the new head coach at Holy Cross. Local reporter [/COLOR]Jennifer Toland (https://twitter.com/JenTandG/status/941350866203873280)[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)] has tweeted the same. Tuesday, we reported that Chesney was one of a few finalists for the job. Chesney led the Assumption program to an 11-win season in 2015, followed by a 9-win season in 2016 before putting together an 11-2 season and appearance in the NCAA quarterfinals this past fall.

Doc QB
December 14th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Looks like the Holy Cross Alums got an email from the AD up there, confirming it is Chesney. Fordham, you are now on the clock. Lehigh, I hope our clock is still plugged in (at least, regarding a whole new defense regime).

Go...gate
December 14th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Looks like the Holy Cross Alums got an email from the AD up there, confirming it is Chesney. Fordham, you are now on the clock. Lehigh, I hope our clock is still plugged in (at least, regarding a whole new defense regime).

Lehigh should borrow Fred Dunlap back from Colgate.

carney2
December 15th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Done! They hired Bob Chesney from D-2 Assumption College. He doesn't even have to move. Assumption is also in Woo.

Son of Eli
December 15th, 2017, 08:22 PM
When Reno was hired by Yale, the Yale football blog commentators said he got the job because he was willing to work for peanuts.

If that's accurate, and if HC is willing to pay him more, don't be shocked to see him leave. Happens to Ivy basketball coaches all the time.

You wish!

ngineer
December 16th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Can't believe Yale pays less than any of the PL schools...same with the other top Ivies. They certainly have the monetary wherewithall to do whatever they want.

Go Green
December 17th, 2017, 03:29 PM
Can't believe Yale pays less than any of the PL schools...same with the other top Ivies. They certainly have the monetary wherewithall to do whatever they want.

If commenters on the Yale football blog are to be believed, that was exactly the case. Check out the guys who withdrew from the coaching search in 2008.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2008/12/18/two-candidates-withdraw-from-football-search/

I don't dispute that Yale *could* outpay a lot of schools for coaches. But in 2008, they chose not to do so.

DFW HOYA
December 17th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Who did the Elis pass on?

The future head coach at Rhode Island.
The future head coach of Boston College.
The future head coach at Stanford (career record: 73-20)

Yeah, but they got Tom Williams, who was let go last season from a high school team in Dallas and is now listed as a "Personal Skills Development Executive" on his Linkedin page.

Gangtackle11
December 18th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Hearing HC hired our defensive GA to be LB coach.

UNHWildcat18
December 18th, 2017, 07:53 PM
Good Hire for Holy Cross, a young coach who knows how to win. Hope they take over the PL

CFBfan
December 19th, 2017, 06:30 AM
Good Hire for Holy Cross, a young coach who knows how to win. Hope they take over the PL

Highly unlikely!!

UNHWildcat18
December 19th, 2017, 07:03 AM
Highly unlikely!!

Yeah because the other PL teams are so dominant.... xcoffeex

Pard4Life
December 20th, 2017, 11:27 PM
It's been two months since Tom Gilmore was fired. Still no coach. We are now losing recruits who have verbally committed to HC. Nate Pine, this is on you.

It took Lafayette three weeks to hire John Garrett after Tavani resigned.

You mean, Lafayette Athletics did something better than someone else?

Truth be told, when this happen, I "thank God for Holy Cross"

CFBfan
December 21st, 2017, 01:11 PM
Yeah because the other PL teams are so dominant.... xcoffeex

no because the suk and they won't rise above gate or LU for that matter

UNHWildcat18
December 21st, 2017, 08:00 PM
no because the suk and they won't rise above gate or LU for that matter

Thanks for the intellectual and well spelt out contribution. Lehigh is dropping fast and Colgate while the current best isn’t head and shoulders above by any means