PDA

View Full Version : #10 South Dakota at #4 North Dakota State

Pages : 1 [2]

ASU33
November 12th, 2017, 08:06 AM
The Bison are impressive! Every time people say that they're done they respond in a major way xthumbsupx

Wisent
November 12th, 2017, 08:16 AM
I agree. I think even with a loss, they've got a decent shot at making the field. Look where they fell on the most recent committee rankings. Losing to two top ten teams in the final two weeks shouldn't make them fall all the way out. Especially if they put up more of a fight against SDSU, which I suspect they will.

Western, Youngstown, and Bowling Green should all be looked at as decent wins for them. And they don't have any bad losses.

I doubt that any team makes the playoffs having lost 4 of their last 5 games.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2017, 09:06 AM
Watching Ill State and SDSU, I wonder if Spack will start Broadnax?

The kid is a decent runner but his passing is suspect but he is a freshman. Huge game for Ill State and the Bison. Will Spack go with Kolbe and his experience??

cx500d
November 12th, 2017, 09:08 AM

The kid is a decent runner but his passing is suspect but he is a freshman. Huge game for Ill State and the Bison. Will Spack go with Kolbe and his experience??

Spack lost the game for them yesterday with the ridiculous run out of the clock with 1:15 left. All they needed was a damn field goal. You had a high school team in MN a couple days ago scored 3 touchdowns in the final 59 seconds to complete a comeback, but Spack runs the clock out....

Bison56
November 12th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Spack lost the game for them yesterday with the ridiculous run out of the clock with 1:15 left. All they needed was a damn field goal. You had a high school team in MN a couple days ago scored 3 touchdowns in the final 59 seconds to complete a comeback, but Spack runs the clock out....

Seen that before somewherexchinscratchx and YES I agree they lost the game because of it. Play to win period.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2017, 09:29 AM

Yes and No.

Probably didn't want his FR QB making a mistake passing to potentially lose the game.

But on the other hand, you have played the kid the whole game why not see if he can move the team down the field to get into FG range.

If the Bison can contain Broadnax's running they win. Kolbe isn't as mobile so you knows what Spack will do. More than likely he'll start the FR thinking mobile QBs far better against the Bison defense.

TheKingpin28
November 12th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Yes and No.

Probably didn't want his FR QB making a mistake passing to potentially lose the game.

But on the other hand, you have played the kid the whole game why not see if he can move the team down the field to get into FG range.

If the Bison can contain Broadnax's running they win. Kolbe isn't as mobile so you knows what Spack will do. More than likely he'll start the FR thinking mobile QBs far better against the Bison defense.

Where have I heard this before? The idea that the running QBs will win the games, and yet the starter who can actually make the throws, is sitting on the bench?

Professor Chaos
November 12th, 2017, 09:35 AM

I was wondering what the deal with that was. Is Kolbe injured or did they just sit him due to ineffectiveness?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Where have I heard this before? The idea that the running QBs will win the games, and yet the starter who can actually make the throws, is sitting on the bench?

Ya, who is this again....xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

I was wondering what the deal with that was. Is Kolbe injured or did they just sit him due to ineffectiveness?

I think ineffectiveness of the offense.

TheKingpin28
November 12th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Ya, who is this again....xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

I am not allowed to say the team name due to appropriation or something that baffles me, but I think we know exactly who this is. :D

TheKingpin28
November 12th, 2017, 09:39 AM

I thought RB 4th and Short said he was injured iirc and they would only play him if Broadnax got injured.

Professor Chaos
November 12th, 2017, 09:45 AM

I thought RB 4th and Short said he was injured iirc and they would only play him if Broadnax got injured.
Maybe the "injury" to Kolbe was invented??? Along the same lines as the classic line from Dan Barreiro regarding Christian Ponder and his inauspicious tenure with the Minnesota Vikings "He was limited in practice today but it had nothing to do with an injury."

TheKingpin28
November 12th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Maybe the "injury" to Kolbe was invented??? Along the same lines as the classic line from Dan Barreiro regarding Christian Ponder and his inauspicious tenure with the Minnesota Vikings "He was limited in practice today but it had nothing to do with an injury."

Kolbe is not a bad QB.

Passing------gp--effic----comp--att----pct-----yds----td--lg---avg/g
KOLBE,Jake--9--127.20--155---271---57.2--2025---12--80--225.0

Passing-------gp---effic----comp--att----pct-----yds----td---lg---avg/g
KOLBE,Jake--12--140.18---226--365---61.9---2703---22--58---225.2

He is a consistent QB, but the drop off from Roberson/Coprich was immense (94% of the offense iirc) that it makes it seem like he is a sub-par QB. Spack should have left while he could, but Roberson had the throwing of Kolbe but the speed of Broadnax.

Professor Chaos
November 12th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Kolbe is not a bad QB.

Passing------gp--effic----comp--att----pct-----yds----td--lg---avg/g
KOLBE,Jake--9--127.20--155---271---57.2--2025---12--80--225.0

Passing-------gp---effic----comp--att----pct-----yds----td---lg---avg/g
KOLBE,Jake--12--140.18---226--365---61.9---2703---22--58---225.2

He is a consistent QB, but the drop off from Roberson/Coprich was immense (94% of the offense iirc) that it makes it seem like he is a sub-par QB. Spack should have left while he could, but Roberson had the throwing of Kolbe but the speed of Broadnax.
Judging from his rushing numbers yesterday Broadnax isn't near the runner that Roberson was. He's young though. I'd prefer to see Kolbe honestly. Even with Broadnax being a freshman it seems the Bison defense is much better suited to defend against a traditional pocket passer than they are a mobile QB.

TheKingpin28
November 12th, 2017, 10:13 AM
Judging from his rushing numbers yesterday Broadnax isn't near the runner that Roberson was. He's young though. I'd prefer to see Kolbe honestly. Even with Broadnax being a freshman it seems the Bison defense is much better suited to defend against a traditional pocket passer than they are a mobile QB.

I just want the Bison to win and not give the committee any reason to seed them lower than 2, but if UCA and JSU win, it could be interesting. While no one with homer glasses on would deny NDSU deserves the #2, the committee has tried to bend NDSU over before with a #3 seed, so anything is possible.

Now back to the discussion. Broadnax is loose and agile, but I think the Bison will prep for him instead of Kolbe, while I believe that the Redbirds have a better chance of winning if they stay in the pocket. We saw what happened with Streveler. He was too mobile for the defense and when he ran, they had no answer, but when he tried to pass, outside of the 1st Q, they contained him and made him pay dearly. So I would hope that Broadnax starts and not Kolbe, but after yesterday's shalacking of the Yotes, I think this team has rebounded and anything is possible.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2017, 10:16 AM
I just want the Bison to win and not give the committee any reason to seed them lower than 2, but if UCA and JSU win, it could be interesting. While no one with homer glasses on would deny NDSU deserves the #2, the committee has tried to bend NDSU over before with a #3 seed, so anything is possible.

Now back to the discussion. Broadnax is loose and agile, but I think the Bison will prep for him instead of Kolbe, while I believe that the Redbirds have a better chance of winning if they stay in the pocket. We saw what happened with Streveler. He was too mobile for the defense and when he ran, they had no answer, but when he tried to pass, outside of the 1st Q, they contained him and made him pay dearly. So I would hope that Broadnax starts and not Kolbe, but after yesterday's shalacking of the Yotes, I think this team has rebounded and anything is possible.

It would not surprise me if NDSU got a #3 with a win over Ill State. UCA or JSU??? NDSU would beat both of them at their place IMO.

TheKingpin28
November 12th, 2017, 10:22 AM
It would not surprise me if NDSU got a #3 with a win over Ill State. UCA or JSU??? NDSU would beat both of them at their place IMO.

Yes, but the committee has made it clear they are sick and tired of NDSU winning so they have tried to bend them over and outside of last year, they have beaten the best teams and usually had a cake walk in the championship game. ISUr and SHSU part 1 were solid competition, but SHUS part 2, Towson, and JSU were cupcakes.

Professor Chaos
November 12th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Based on what they've shown to this point I think UCA is clearly the superior team to JSU so if they want to seed JSU #2 and NDSU #3 I'll take that because I think the Bison would be playing the semis at home as long as they make it that far.

Make UCA, SDSU, and WIU the #4, #5, and #8 seeds and then make JSU, SHSU, and Wofford the #2, #6, and #7 seeds and I'll be happy as a clam with NDSU at #3 (I may let out a slight titter that NDSU and JSU aren't switched around though ;)). FWIW, if NAU beats SUU and SDSU and NDSU both win this weekend I think that seed setup is a very good possibility.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Based on what they've shown to this point I think UCA is clearly the superior team to JSU so if they want to seed JSU #2 and NDSU #3 I'll take that because I think the Bison would be playing the semis at home as long as they make it that far.

Make UCA, SDSU, and WIU the #4, #5, and #8 seeds and then make JSU, SHSU, and Wofford the #2, #6, and #7 seeds and I'll be happy as a clam with NDSU at #3 (I may let out a slight titter that NDSU and JSU aren't switched around though ;)). FWIW, if NAU beats SUU and SDSU and NDSU both win this weekend I think that seed setup is a very good possibility.

Ya, if that scenario comes about ( JSU #2 and NDSU #3), I like that matchup anywhere. JSU cannot pass the ball (168/game) and I think the Bison defense would pound them into the ground. JSU has good defensive stats....against the OVC though...xnodx

TheKingpin28
November 12th, 2017, 10:39 AM

I could get behind this! I would be enthusiastic about this set-up and would be doing a victory dance that NDSU finally gets an easy path in the playoffs. Would greatly help Dunn get healthy while giving DeLuca, Hendricks, and Davis time to heal up. I know DeLuca is healthy, but he has played so much that he needs a week off to get ready for the gauntlet of the playoffs if NDSU gets shafted and sent to the SDSU, UCA, WIU side of the bracket.