PDA

View Full Version : Best I-AA Football Tailgating

Cat79
July 18th, 2005, 07:24 PM
My vote is for McNeese State. To Greg, Doc and the rest of the McNeese Fans I give you an A+ rating. These guys are great hosts and fans. :)

Great Food
Live Band
Plenty to Drink
Friendly Fans

Go...gate
July 18th, 2005, 07:32 PM
My vote is a tie between Lehigh and Princeton. Wonderful atmosphere!

Josh
July 18th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Georgia Southern is up there too!

Their fans are great and were awesome in hosting me!

buckp
July 18th, 2005, 07:38 PM
My vote is for McNeese State. To Greg, Doc and the rest of the McNeese Fans I give you an A+ rating. These guys are great hosts and fans. :)

Great Food
Live Band
Plenty to Drink
Friendly Fans

I had to quit going to McNeese tailgating.....
Those guys will wine and dine you so much, you can't watch the game! :eek:

ngineer
July 18th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Haven't had enough exposure to tailgating in other leagues. Within the PL Lehigh has by far the best tailgating atmosphere and facilities to do so. The Marching '97 also snakes its way throughout all the tailgate areas serenading the fans before heading off toward Goodman. The cuisine is pretty varied and a good number of fans go all out with pretty elaborate setups. We certainly don't have the 'numbers' of many of the other schools here, but the quality is there. :D

catbob
July 18th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Here is a picture of tailgaiting going on before Cat/Griz 2003 in Bozeman (MSU).

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/grizpics/2003/football/msu/griz/normal_11-22-03-072.jpg

McNeese75
July 18th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Here is a picture of tailgaiting going on before Cat/Griz 2003 in Bozeman (MSU).

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/grizpics/2003/football/msu/griz/normal_11-22-03-072.jpg

What's all the white stuff???? :D

eaglefan452
July 18th, 2005, 09:40 PM

Was just wondering the same thing. Is that some kind of crazy "white dirt" you Montana folks are keeping quiet about?

UAalum72
July 18th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Was just wondering the same thing. Is that some kind of crazy "white dirt" you Montana folks are keeping quiet about?
The white stuff keeps your beer cold if you forgot a cooler. It also kills the blackflies, gnats, and no-see-ums. Makes for an enhanced tailgating experience.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 18th, 2005, 10:48 PM
SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY has to be the best in 1-aa. In one publication SU was rated 15 best in football(including pro). 200 plus rv's at every game plus 15,000 tailgaiting at every game.

WCU LawCat
July 18th, 2005, 10:59 PM
A picture of some WCU tailgating. The rest of the tailgating is to the left behind the west side stands....where some of the big wheels are located.http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/1020/various0520if.jpg

AgentOrange
July 18th, 2005, 11:35 PM

How many people own mover's trucks in Montana?

Coastal89
July 18th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Good catch AO, there are alot of U hauls and Ryder trucks there.

tsutiger
July 19th, 2005, 08:20 AM
1. Southern Jags
2. Jackson St. When Bell is fired.
3. FAMU

Husky Alum
July 19th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Most extravagant tailgates I've ever been to were at Yale-Harvard games. You're talking Dom Perignon, lobster tails, white glove servers, bartenders, etc.

When I was in HS we were trying to crash a couple of the "White linen and Crystal" tailgates and the Secret Service caught us - we were trying to sneak in to the Kennedy Family tailgate.

The Gadfly
July 19th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I have to admit that pre-game at the Citadel is pretty amazing: Cadets marching, all around the stadium there's a tailgate, good food (seafood & BBQ, you can't beat that).

Furman is just simply beautiful and the people there are very friendly.

The worst would be Charleston Southern.

eaglefan452
July 19th, 2005, 08:41 AM
The white stuff keeps your beer cold if you forgot a cooler. It also kills the blackflies, gnats, and no-see-ums. Makes for an enhanced tailgating experience.

My dad is from Michigan and he would tell me stories of tailgating in the snow when it is 10 below, he said that they needed a cooler to keep their beer from freezing.

Ronbo
July 19th, 2005, 09:58 AM

Those 3-4 trucks must be organizations that have set up large tented tailgates.

In regards to the snow, Bozeman is in a snow belt and usually has the white stuff by the last game. In Missoula we are in a Valley that is the nothern tip of a region called the banana belt. It runs from Missoula to south of Hamilton and we enjoy the warmest temps in Montana. We rarely have snow in Missoula till the end of December. Our playoff game with Sam Houston State last year on 12/11 was over 50 degees. It was 10 degrees warmer that day in Texas.

lklgb
July 19th, 2005, 10:08 AM
I gotta go with U of Montana.Last year when I was there,they were the nicest people and even came to our rescue when some drunks came around and were bothering us.Also a most beautiful town.(just fix the ticket situation).

89rabbit
July 19th, 2005, 10:13 AM
SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY has to be the best in 1-aa. In one publication SU was rated 15 best in football(including pro). 200 plus rv's at every game plus 15,000 tailgaiting at every game.

I did have a really good time in Baton Rouge last year. We started at 7 am on the LSU campus, watched the first half of LSU vs Mississippi St. and then went across town and did it all over again on Southern's campus. The folks at Southern are great people. I really enjoyed meeting bluedog and his family. It was a great college football day, one of my best ever. :D

saint0917
July 19th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Tailgating at Delaware :nod: :D :p

http://www.npj.com/photos/jokes/tailgating.jpg

GtFllsGriz
July 19th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Those aren't moving vans, those are Montana RVs. You don't need beds, just more space for beer!

GOKATS
July 19th, 2005, 11:19 AM

In regards to the snow, Bozeman is in a snow belt and usually has the white stuff by the last game. In Missoula we are in a Valley that is the nothern tip of a region called the banana belt. It runs from Missoula to south of Hamilton and we enjoy the warmest temps in Montana. We rarely have snow in Missoula till the end of December. Our playoff game with Sam Houston State last year on 12/11 was over 50 degees. It was 10 degrees warmer that day in Texas.

The rental trucks are banks, real estate agencies, etc. that throw big tailgate parties. As far as the snow- we generally have nice weather early in the season, but we can have snow from the season opener on. Usually it's nice into Oct. though.

LBPop
July 19th, 2005, 12:35 PM
The rental trucks are banks

Nice to see that our money is safe in Montana :D

blukeys
July 19th, 2005, 12:38 PM

When did we start letting the UMASS cheerleaders tailgate at Delaware? :confused: :confused: ;) ;) :D

GannonFan
July 19th, 2005, 12:40 PM
I always find that tailgating gets better the more south you go - I certainly wouldn't doubt that Southern, McNeese, and Georgia Southern have some of the best in IAA. Being in the A10, tailgating is almost non-existent at the nothern schools (places like UMass and Hofstra are more drive-up-to-the-game-15-minutes-before-kickoff type places - places like URI don't even have that!). It's better obviously at places like UD and JMU (even when JMU wasn't very good they had decent tailgating). Even Richmond has a decent tailgate crowd for being a smaller school with lackluster football following.

Dream is to someday get down to LSU for a home night game - that's gotta be the mecca of college tailgating.

colonelblitz
July 19th, 2005, 12:41 PM

I'm glad I can't see the thong. She looks like a Western cheerleader. :)

blukeys
July 19th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I'm glad I can't see the thong. She looks like a Western cheerleader. :)

No Maroon and White definitely UMASS. OR Colgate??? ;) ;)

blueballs
July 19th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Maybe I'm, well, damned right I'm biased, but this is why GSU has the very best tailgating in 1-AA, from last year's Wofford pre-game tailgate at the "nearly locally infamous Red Flag Tailgate."

http://www.eaglewarwagon.com/WOF097.jpg

Baldy
July 19th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Maybe I'm, well, damned right I'm biased, but this is why GSU has the very best tailgating in 1-AA, from last year's Wofford pre-game tailgate at the "nearly locally infamous Red Flag Tailgate."

:nod:
Yum Yum ;)

McNeeserocket
July 19th, 2005, 03:13 PM

Great Food
Live Band
Plenty to Drink
Friendly Fans
Thanks Greg for the complement!! Fans from visiting schools are always welcome. McNeese does try to be user friendly when it comes to tailgating.

Come Sept 3rd it ought to be a real show because Southern comes to town and yes they probably do tailgating better than anyone in I-AA (although I think that Montana, Georgia Southern and McNeese do an exceptional tailgating party also). I think the combination of McNeese and Southern tailgating together ought to be a major party. I think the food and drink at that party would be enough to supply a few small countries!!

Can't wait!!! Are we there yet????????????

mainejeff
July 19th, 2005, 03:16 PM
1. McNeese
2. Montana

Those are the only 2 OOC that I've been to, but I think it's safe to say that they are both in the Top 5 (maybe THE top 2).

Coastal89
July 19th, 2005, 03:20 PM

Dem sum dam nice peaches! :hyped: :hyped:

Ronbo
July 19th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Look at the size of those drinks! :eek: And I'll bet there is either full strength beer or Long Island Ice Teas in those 64 ouncers. ;) Word of caution to those lovely 21 year old southern gals. You keep tanning like that and you'll be 32 year olds that look 50. :eek:

Down with the Foe!
July 19th, 2005, 03:34 PM

We call them Tailgate Limo's uphere....whatta you all call em down there.

here is my nom-nation. ( and a quick glimpse of tailgate row ...seen in the background of this pic)

http://www.egriz.com/GrizPics2/albums/grizpics/2004/football/isu/normal_10-9-04-046.jpg

my pics are at home, will load later (that's not me....I'm Cosmo, see my avatar)

catbob
July 19th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Big gulps eh? Well, see ya later.

Coastal89
July 19th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Look at the size of those drinks! :eek: And I'll bet there is either full strength beer or Long Island Ice Teas in those 64 ouncers. ;) Word of caution to those lovely 21 year old southern gals. You keep tanning like that and you'll be 32 year olds that look 50. :eek:
Most tans are sprayed on these days, even here at the beach.

Grizo406
July 19th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Those gals have "Future Griz Fans" written all over them. ;)

89Hen
July 19th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Dem sum dam nice peaches!
I must be getting old. They do nothing for me. :(

Coastal89
July 19th, 2005, 04:15 PM
That's not surprising coming from someone that pulls for a transgendered chicken. :eek:

grizbeer
July 19th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Nice picture - I think I had to walk from that end of the parking lot to the base of the mountain to find a bathroom that day. You need more porta potties in the parking lot! :D

I had forgotten about hanging Monte in effigy from the crane - that was a nice touch, I gotta admit it made me chucke a little.

grizfnz
July 19th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Those gals have "Future Griz Fans" written all over them. ;)

I thought you were going to say FGFILF :)

FightinBluHen51
July 19th, 2005, 06:46 PM

Tents are for (*)&)(*&s. Those of you that are outside are real football fans :hatoff:

FightinBluHen51
July 19th, 2005, 06:49 PM

I wish we could get another home and a home with GSU. All jokes aside...our gals are just as fine, but they definately don't have the "southern belle" appeal since they hail from Jersey, PA, NY, ect. :bang:

FightinBluHen51
July 19th, 2005, 06:51 PM

:spank:

McNeese75
July 19th, 2005, 09:05 PM

Oh, I thought she was leading the "King of the Mountain" competition on the Tour :D

TxSt02
July 20th, 2005, 03:52 AM
I would also say Sam Houston for one reason and one reason only... They have a section of their stadium at the endzone that is reserved for their "Couch Potatoes" and they can bring in couches to sit on during the games. Well when it was time this past year to bring the couches into the stadium as the game was starting so we just brought our necessary beverages in with us by stuffing them in the couch cushions... One of the guys that we tailgated with said this year they are building a "false bottom" for the couch that will have a cooler installed below the cushions. My problem with games is a hang over always seems to set in mid 3rd quarter. This way you have no worries!

Kill'em
July 20th, 2005, 04:22 AM
I wish we could get another home and a home with GSU. All jokes aside...our gals are just as fine, but they definately don't have the "southern belle" appeal since they hail from Jersey, PA, NY, ect. :bang:
This is enough proof who has the best tailgating. :beerchug:

blueballs
July 20th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Tents are for (*)&)(*&s. Those of you that are outside are real football fans :hatoff:

Spoken like a somebody that isn't familiar with the southern sun. If you don't have shade in South GA in the late summer you will be sunburned and passed out very shortly, particularly if alcohol is involved

FightinBluHen51
July 21st, 2005, 09:13 AM
This is enough proof who has the best tailgating. :beerchug:

:beerchug: back at you.

Catmendue2
July 21st, 2005, 02:45 PM
I always find that tailgating gets better the more south you go - I certainly wouldn't doubt that Southern, McNeese, and Georgia Southern have some of the best in IAA. Being in the A10, tailgating is almost non-existent at the nothern schools (places like UMass and Hofstra are more drive-up-to-the-game-15-minutes-before-kickoff type places - places like URI don't even have that!). It's better obviously at places like UD and JMU (even when JMU wasn't very good they had decent tailgating). Even Richmond has a decent tailgate crowd for being a smaller school with lackluster football following.

Dream is to someday get down to LSU for a home night game - that's gotta be the mecca of college tailgating.

You don't want to be anywhere near Baton Rouge at that time unless you got a ticket. its the second coming of Mardi Gras but in BR. :eek:

CatFan22
July 21st, 2005, 03:56 PM

That was the coldest game I have EVER been to. Good game though. Anyway, I really really hope it is not that cold at the game this year.

ccujacket
July 21st, 2005, 04:26 PM

:eek:

Either you have ridiculous standards or you're, well, not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

ChiefGSU275
July 21st, 2005, 05:04 PM

Either you have ridiculous standards or you're, well, not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

LOL!! I was thinking the same thing!

NYSigma
July 21st, 2005, 08:59 PM
My vote goes to Southern University....The Montana TG party looks good but Southern's is not only at least twice that size, but for every rental truck you see in the MT party there are at least 2 RV's at Southern. I am not joking, these people drive huge campers to their party every weekend! I mean the type that people retire and drive around the country until they die type of RV's!! I wish someone post a picture for everyone to see.

mikebigg
July 22nd, 2005, 06:07 AM
My vote goes to Southern University....The Montana TG party looks good but Southern's is not only at least twice that size, but for every rental truck you see in the MT party there are at least 2 RV's at Southern. I am not joking, these people drive huge campers to their party every weekend! I mean the type that people retire and drive around the country until they die type of RV's!! I wish someone post a picture for everyone to see.

I gotta agree... dem jags throw a party that begins Friday evening and goes til the wee -wee (beer drinkers know what I mean) hours of the morning. If the GMen are on the road, I usually go to the jags tailgating and hang with the frat at our tailgate tent (always gotta meet the visiting bruhs) and then make my rounds from tent to tent talking smack with the jags. The fans are cool...after all the trash talk, we drink some drinks and eat all that good Southern Soul/Cajun Cuisine.

GSU and Alcorn don't have the game in game out tailgating crowds like SU, but it is fun to hang out pre-game at both locations. It's picking up in popularity on both campuses and the grilled/fried catfish at both places seem to be non-stop. I can't wait til this season... I plan to attend a lot more tailgate..er, I mean games.

FightinBluHen51
July 22nd, 2005, 07:35 AM

You're right...he's married xlolx

rokamortis
July 22nd, 2005, 08:24 AM
No harm in window shopping ;)

henfan
July 22nd, 2005, 09:04 AM
The Montana TG party looks good...

I think the photo you're referring to was in Bozeman (MT State), not Missoula (UMT).

Cap'n Cat
July 22nd, 2005, 10:29 AM
Ones Cap'n Cat's been to that were incredible:

1. Youngstown State
2. Montana
3. UNI (nothing to crow about, but it is home!)

Wanna see a Jag tailgater as MikeBigg describes above!

Worst ones Cap'n Cat's seen:

1. Weber State
2. Idaho State
3. Indiana State
4. Southern Illinois (been a few years, though - maybe it's changed with the success they've had)

Best I-A's Cap'n Cat's been to:

1. Notre Dame
2. Michigan
3. Michigan State
4. Minnesota
5. Western Michigan
6. Ohio State (points subtracted, however for being TOO crowded and too spread out)

Worst I-A's Cap'n Cat's been to:

1. Eastern Michigan
2. Central Michigan

:) :) :) :) :)

McTailGator
July 22nd, 2005, 02:27 PM

Great Food
Live Band
Plenty to Drink
Friendly Fans

Thanks Cat.

We've added a 28 foot travel trailer to the spot and we're currently working on menu ideas for the fall.

See you in San Marcos

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.com/images/tsu04tgtsufans.jpg
http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.com/images/slu04tgroad2.jpg http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.com/images/slu04tgroad1.jpg http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.com/images/slu04tgpc1.jpg

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.com/images/slu04tgb&grd.jpg http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.com/images/ysu04tgbandpoboys.jpg http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.com/images/suu04westside.jpg

McTailGator
July 22nd, 2005, 03:10 PM

We get it too...

Here's proof...

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.com/images/mon02tgsneaxpoke.jpg

GAD
July 22nd, 2005, 03:17 PM
The pictures have my excited I can't wait to go to Lake Charles Sept. 3

grizfnz
July 22nd, 2005, 06:42 PM
We get it too...

Here's proof...

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.com/images/mon02tgsneaxpoke.jpg

The smile on that snowman reminded me of the autopilot from the movie Airplanehttp://www.bgu.ac.il/noar/students/interhug967/gil/tv-movie/airplane/otto.jpg

catbob
October 3rd, 2005, 01:18 PM
Here are some pictures from Homecoming Saturday. This is just the student side, there were at least 500 more people on the other side of the stadium. This must be during the game too as it was a lot fuller than that at points.

http://www.bobcatnation.com/homecomingtailgate.htm