PDA

View Full Version : AGS Poll Results - Week 8 - 10/23/2017

Pages : 1 [2]

Bison56
October 24th, 2017, 09:23 AM
When you are losing the argument just shout MVFC bias and strut away victorious!

RabidRabbit
October 24th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reign of Terrier
October 24th, 2017, 09:27 AM
So tell me why SHSU should be ranked ahead of USD because I'm obviously too biased to see it.

I don't really care about the specifics here (I've no dog in that particular fight). I just object to the appeal to computer rankings for a purpose that they are not best suited for.

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2017, 09:39 AM
I don't really care about the specifics here (I've no dog in that particular fight). I just object to the appeal to computer rankings for a purpose that they are not best suited for.
I don't need computers to tell me that USD has played a tougher schedule and beaten better teams than SHSU has but when those arguments just signed off as my conference bias it's worth pointing out that I have objective measures to back it up. It's a more intelligent argument than claiming that some abstract bias is propping them up in my mind.

Dukie95
October 24th, 2017, 09:42 AM
I was disappointed to see UNH play their best all-around game of the season, running a poor Towson team off the field and still dropping three spots in the poll. They finally got most of their injured defensive players back (which showed), but had to rely on their #3 and #5 running backs to step up due to injuries to numbers 1, 2, & 4. They responded by gaining 187 and 104 yards, respectively. My disappointment was eased a bit when I looked at the overall team standings and noted that 57 teams have 3 or fewer losses on the season (3 no losses, 14 one, 16 two, and 23 three). That's nearly half the total number of FCS team. The next couple of weeks should sort some of this out.

UNH's problem is it's lack of quality wins. Georgia Southern is probably the worst FBS team right now and they just fired their coach. Bryant, Towson, Maine isn't exactly the best resume to build a case on. If Elon loses to Nova and starts to regress to their mean, there's not much in the future schedule either to help. (unless they beat JMU)

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 24th, 2017, 09:42 AM
I was disappointed to see UNH play their best all-around game of the season, running a poor Towson team off the field and still dropping three spots in the poll. They finally got most of their injured defensive players back (which showed), but had to rely on their #3 and #5 running backs to step up due to injuries to numbers 1, 2, & 4. They responded by gaining 187 and 104 yards, respectively. My disappointment was eased a bit when I looked at the overall team standings and noted that 57 teams have 3 or fewer losses on the season (3 no losses, 14 one, 16 two, and 23 three). That's nearly half the total number of FCS team. The next couple of weeks should sort some of this out.

But you lost to Holy Cross 51-26. That's one of the all-time worst losses by a team that was at the time in the Top 10.....

Serpentor
October 24th, 2017, 12:51 PM
So tell me why SHSU should be ranked ahead of USD because I'm obviously too biased to see it.

I'm not talking about USD. I'm talking about whatever 7-4 MVFC team is going to slip into the playoffs based on conference rep above a team like Nicholls that took Texas A&M down the wire but plays in the Southland and won't get the benefit of the doubt.

FargoBison
October 24th, 2017, 12:59 PM
I'm not talking about USD. I'm talking about whatever 7-4 MVFC team is going to slip into the playoffs based on conference rep above a team like Nicholls that took Texas A&M down the wire but plays in the Southland and won't get the benefit of the doubt.

Serpentine belt, which MVFC team is going to "slip" into the field unqualified at 7-4? Please give me an example.

If Nicholls takes care of business they'll be in, if they drop another game being close in a FBS game might not be good enough.

Serpentor
October 24th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Serpentine belt, which MVFC team is going to "slip" into the field unqualified at 7-4? Please give me an example.

It's still early, let's see how the Penguins and Redbirds seasons go.

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2017, 01:02 PM
If Nicholls finishes 9-2 they're in. If they finish 8-3 they absolutely should fit in behind a 7-4 MVFC team. Playing a good FBS team to within 10 points doesn't matter if your wins are against a whole box of cupcakes.

I know I'm preaching to the choir with you on this one but the Southland has cut their own legs out from under them by inviting all the lower level FCS programs that they have and isolating themselves from the rest of the FCS with a 9 game conference schedule. They have reaped what they've sown (with SHSU and McNeese's seeds in the last two playoffs) and will continue to reap what they've sown due to that.

FargoBison
October 24th, 2017, 01:06 PM
It's still early, let's see how the Penguins and Redbirds seasons go.

Well I'm not sure either would be unqualified at 7-4. YSU needs to run out their schedule which won't be easy. ISUR has to play a murder's row of teams, if they finish 2-2 against @YSU, WIU, @SDSU and NDSU I'll be impressed.

Serpentor
October 24th, 2017, 01:14 PM
If Nicholls finishes 9-2 they're in. If they finish 8-3 they absolutely should fit in behind a 7-4 MVFC team. Playing a good FBS team to within 10 points doesn't matter if your wins are against a whole box of cupcakes.

I know I'm preaching to the choir with you on this one but the Southland has cut their own legs out from under them by inviting all the lower level FCS programs that they have and isolating themselves from the rest of the FCS with a 9 game conference schedule. They have reaped what they've sown (with SHSU and McNeese's seeds in the last two playoffs) and will continue to reap what they've sown due to that.

So what you're saying is... we need to overthrow the Southland administration and rule through ad hoc terror!

kalm
October 24th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Would love to do a home and home with a good MEAC team (or any FCS team, for that matter)

A 7-4 MVFC would move ahead of Nicholls based on resume, not conference rep. Things like quality wins...SoS...etc.

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2017, 01:29 PM
So what you're saying is... we need to overthrow the Southland administration and rule through ad hoc terror!
Just say the word and I'll get General Disarray on it!

thebootfitter
October 24th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Y'all do realize that computer rankings are averages right? And the variables that go into rankings are also averages right?

Computers are helpful for figuring out:
--baseline expectations of outcomes between 2 teams in a game environment
--a tie-breaker between bubble teams with comparable records/SOS,

But when it comes to rankings, we should resort to the computers when we get in a bind between two teams, but not as an appeal to authority as to why a questionable team should stay where they are

"Averages"? Not sure I understand what you mean by that...

I'm pretty certain that both Sagarin and Massey simply use the scores of games played as inputs into their models. Sagarin also uses home/away.

Both are approximately 75% accurate for determining the winner of any given match up during a season of college football. If they can be used to understand which team among two teams is more likely to win on the field with 75% accuracy, then shouldn't that allow you to use it as at least one data point in determining which team is better than the other?

And if it accomplishes this effectively between two teams... Should it not follow that it is a fair estimate for how any two teams would perform against each other in any hypothetical match up? And then rank them relative to each other on an objective scale?

Granted... There are many other variables that happen on the field in a real game. Past scores of real games cannot hope to capture all of those variables. But in a simplified system of only using scores, all of those other variables tend to mostly balance out such that it is still a 75% accurate predictor of actual W/L outcomes.

Bottom line is that computer ratings may be a little more useful than you believe. They are certainly not the only factor that should be considered. They are wrong 25% of the time. But as an objective measure to compare the relative strength of teams, they are not bad at all.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

UNIFanSince1983
October 24th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Y'all do realize that computer rankings are averages right? And the variables that go into rankings are also averages right?

Computers are helpful for figuring out:
--baseline expectations of outcomes between 2 teams in a game environment
--a tie-breaker between bubble teams with comparable records/SOS,

But when it comes to rankings, we should resort to the computers when we get in a bind between two teams, but not as an appeal to authority as to why a questionable team should stay where they are

Okay you don't want computers because they are "averages". Well first there is way more that goes in to those ratings than just "averages". Second, even by using any metric you want the MVFC comes out as the best conference. I don't need to be a fanboy to see that. Everyone claims MVFC bias in this poll. Well both the STATS and Coaches poll must have the same bias. And the majority of people on this site even non-MVFC posters have the same bias.

Gangtackle11
October 24th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Okay you don't want computers because they are "averages". Well first there is way more that goes in to those ratings than just "averages". Second, even by using any metric you want the MVFC comes out as the best conference. I don't need to be a fanboy to see that. Everyone claims MVFC bias in this poll. Well both the STATS and Coaches poll must have the same bias. And the majority of people on this site even non-MVFC posters have the same bias.

Ok. So you are in the best conference. At the end of the day what does that get you if you are not a NDSU fan? A bus ticket back to whatever town your team is from in the MVFC. That’s what it has gotten you.

Which equates to a whole lot of nothing. IMHO.

Should a Missouri State or Indiana State fan be bragging too?? They are in the best conference too. Please.

What ever floats your John Deere...

thebootfitter
October 24th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Ok. So you are in the best conference. At the end of the day what does that get you if you are not a NDSU fan? A bus ticket back to whatever town your team is from in the MVFC. That’s what it has gotten you.

Should a Missouri State or Indiana State fan be bragging too?? They are in the best conference too. Please.

What ever floats your John Deere...The strength of the conference doesn't really matter except that the teams that make up the conference have to play each other. And if those same teams happen to be better teams, then the strength of their respective schedules is greater than many other teams who belong to conferences that don't have as strong of individual teams.

Saying that the MVFC happens to be the strongest conference right now is just a shortcut to spelling all that out. Being a member of the MVFC alone doesn't make any team better.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bison56
October 24th, 2017, 03:26 PM

https://www.geeksandbeats.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/shkreli-smug.jpg (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiitrzhi4rXAhVGQiYKHfNYDG8QjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.geeksandbeats.com%2F2017%2F0 8%2Fshkreli-juror-disrespected-wu-tang%2F&psig=AOvVaw3A5eYeICXtlf3uQrAqmnM9&ust=1508963091400862)

Mayville Bison
October 24th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Fire away

1: James Madison Dukes
2: North Dakota State Bison
3: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
4: Central Arkansas Bears
5: South Dakota Coyotes
6: Western Illinois Leathernecks
7: Samford Bulldogs
8: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
9: Sam Houston State Bearkats
10: Wofford Terriers
11: Elon Phoenix
12: Western Carolina Catamounts
13: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
14: Stony Brook Seawolves
15: North Carolina A&T Aggies
16: Weber State Wildcats
17: Northern Iowa Panthers
18: Southern Utah Thunderbirds
19: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
20: Villanova Wildcats
21: Eastern Washington Eagles
22: Illinois State Redbirds
23: Montana Grizzlies
24: McNeese State Cowboys
25: Columbia Lions

Mayville Bison

The Most Significant Win: Illinois State Redbirds
The Most Significant Loss: Wofford Terriers
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Missouri Valley Football Conference

TheKingpin28
October 24th, 2017, 04:24 PM
A 7-4 MVFC would move ahead of Nicholls based on resume, not conference rep. Things like quality wins...SoS...etc.

Too much MVFC bias in this statement. xlolx

Houndawg
October 24th, 2017, 04:53 PM

Strong is the butthurt

A disturbance in the Force

Envy so ugly.

POD Knows
October 24th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Fire away

1: James Madison Dukes
2: North Dakota State Bison
3: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
4: Central Arkansas Bears
5: South Dakota Coyotes
6: Western Illinois Leathernecks
7: Samford Bulldogs
8: Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
9: Sam Houston State Bearkats
10: Wofford Terriers
11: Elon Phoenix
12: Western Carolina Catamounts
13: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
14: Stony Brook Seawolves
15: North Carolina A&T Aggies
16: Weber State Wildcats
17: Northern Iowa Panthers
18: Southern Utah Thunderbirds
19: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
20: Villanova Wildcats
21: Eastern Washington Eagles
22: Illinois State Redbirds
23: Montana Grizzlies
24: McNeese State Cowboys
25: Columbia Lions

Mayville Bison

The Most Significant Win: Illinois State Redbirds
The Most Significant Loss: Wofford Terriers
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Missouri Valley Football ConferencePretty solid

Gangtackle11
October 24th, 2017, 05:47 PM
Strong is the butthurt

A disturbance in the Force

Envy so ugly.

Strong hookah in Cairo these days.

jmufan999
October 24th, 2017, 06:32 PM

can you do the retort as a haiku? was kind of looking forward to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2017, 07:20 PM

Hookah bias. Just because they are in the MVFC doesn’t mean their hookah is strong!!!

caribbeanhen
October 24th, 2017, 07:55 PM

GT, The MVFC is a.k.a. the Paul McCartney and Wings football conference
We all know who Paul is but who the heck were wings anyway

cx500d
October 24th, 2017, 07:58 PM

Denny Laine, founder of the Moody Blues....Hello

caribbeanhen
October 24th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Denny Laine, founder of the Moody Blues....Hello

That's right not many people would know that CX so then who was Penny Lane?

TheKingpin28
October 24th, 2017, 08:25 PM
That's right not many people would know that CX so then who was Penny Lane?

A one cent road? :D

TheRealJacks
October 24th, 2017, 09:57 PM
Or NAU at 9-2

In 2013 NAU was 9-2 and did not get a seed so well see. Being the Lone Big sky champs would weigh heavy also.

Houndawg
October 24th, 2017, 10:19 PM

Anybody else here old enough to remember he was in a band before Wings...:D

Catatonic
October 25th, 2017, 05:32 AM
Anybody else here old enough to remember he was in a band before Wings...:D

Wasn’t he the lead singer for a short lived group called Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band? xdrunkyx

Houndawg
October 25th, 2017, 06:37 AM
Wasn’t he the lead singer for a short lived group called Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band? xdrunkyx

He was already dead by then...the clues are right there on the album cover....the Walrus was Paul....

BisonBacker
October 25th, 2017, 07:03 AM
I just clicked on the last post expecting to read something about the poll and found myself in the twilight zone. Like WTF?

Houndawg
October 25th, 2017, 07:13 AM
I just clicked on the last post expecting to read something about the poll and found myself in the twilight zone. Like WTF?

You must have come along later

caribbeanhen
October 25th, 2017, 04:54 PM

On the cover of the Abbey Road album there was a Volkswagen parked in the top left-hand corner ( actually it was parked on the street but you know what I mean ) does anybody know what the tag number was ?

No apologies about the Thread drift from me we're talking about a living legend here

MR. CHICKEN
October 25th, 2017, 05:08 PM
On the cover of the Abbey Road album there was a Volkswagen parked in the top left-hand corner ( actually it was parked on the street but you know what I mean ) does anybody know what the tag number was ?

No apologies about the Thread drift from me we're talking about a living legend here

...UD 1.....JES' JOSHIN' C-HEN......PULLED OUT MAH VINYL....LOOKS LIKE....LMW28IF......IS DERE SIGNIFICANCE....xconfusedx......ACTUALLY.....LMW.. ....IS MAH DAUGHTER'S....INITIALS....B/4 MARRIAGE......SHE'S NOW......LMC...........;)...........AWK!

dbackjon
October 25th, 2017, 05:18 PM
In 2013 NAU was 9-2 and did not get a seed so well see. Being the Lone Big sky champs would weigh heavy also.

At 9-2, NAU is sole BIG Sky Champs, something they weren't in 2013. At 9-2, NAU would be on a 9 game win streak, having lost only to bowl-bound Arizona and playoff bound WIU.

Grizalltheway
October 25th, 2017, 05:21 PM
At 9-2, NAU is sole BIG Sky Champs, something they weren't in 2013. At 9-2, NAU would be on a 9 game win streak, having lost only to bowl-bound Arizona and playoff bound WIU.

I hope your players are getting as ahead of themselves as you two are. ;)

caribbeanhen
October 25th, 2017, 05:26 PM
...UD 1.....JES' JOSHIN' C-HEN......PULLED OUT MAH VINYL....LOOKS LIKE....LMW28IF......IS DERE SIGNIFICANCE....xconfusedx......ACTUALLY.....LMW.. ....IS MAH DAUGHTER'S....INITIALS....B/4 MARIAGE......SHE'S NOW......LMC...........;)...........AWK!

that's right Mr. chicken

28IF

as legend has it, Paul would've turned 28 but he blew his mind out in a car, he didn't notice that the lights had changed A crowd of people stood and stared they seen his face before but nobody was sure if you were from the house of lords .......

also Paul was barefooted while the other three Beatles have shoes on
Paul is out of step with the other three
George was dressed as a gravedigger
John Lennon dressed in white was the preacher
and I forgot what the heck Ringo was supposed to be
I think Paul has a cigarette in his right hand when everybody on the planet knows he is the most famous
lefty bass guitar player in the history of the galaxy

that's right POD knows that McCartney Has been dead for years but he can't get his songs out of his head

dbackjon
October 25th, 2017, 05:59 PM
I hope your players are getting as ahead of themselves as you two are. ;)

Nope, since the prior quoted message was "IF" NAU got to 9-2.

kalm
October 25th, 2017, 06:09 PM

A 9-2 NAU, SUU, and perhaps Montana (weaker OOC) should be seeded ahead of a 10-1 JSU or SLC based on quality wins and SoS. It's happened before. Hell you could make a case they'd be seeded ahead of several 9-2 CAA's and SoCon's.

WCU-Cats!
October 26th, 2017, 02:52 PM
#11 cool, ill take it!

Grizalltheway
October 26th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Nope, since the prior quoted message was "IF" NAU got to 9-2.

Bit sensitive, are we? Must be worried about that impending collapse. xcoffeex

dbackjon
October 26th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Bit sensitive, are we? Must be worried about that impending collapse. xcoffeex

don't you have a house party to go to?

Grizalltheway
October 26th, 2017, 03:20 PM
don't you have a house party to go to?

Yep. You wanna be my getaway driver?

dbackjon
October 26th, 2017, 03:30 PM

As long as I drop you off at a bar in Butte.

BisonFan02
October 26th, 2017, 03:31 PM

Cash, ass, or more ass.....nobody rides for free. xlolx

mtjack
October 26th, 2017, 05:44 PM
As long as I drop you off at a bar in Butte.

Pissers Palace. The Party Palace. The choices are endless.

gofurman
October 28th, 2017, 07:46 PM
Anyway. Hope to see a lot of votes for Furman this week as we have reeled off SIX wins in a row and are 6-2 in FCS. Only losses were by one point to
Top ten Wofford and by a last second FG to number 7 Elon. We Just beat number 11 Western Carolina at their place at their Homecoming ... 28 to 6 !!!

citdog
October 28th, 2017, 07:47 PM
Anyway. Hope to see a lot of votes for Furman this week as we have reeled off SIX wins in a row and are 6-2 in FCS. Only losses were by one point to
Top ten Wofford and by a last second FG to number 7 Elon. We Just beat number 11 Western Carolina at their place at their Homecoming ... 28 to 6 !!!

furman sucks

FurmanWins!!
October 28th, 2017, 08:08 PM
Time to start voting for Furman folks

OL FU
October 28th, 2017, 08:08 PM
furman sucks

Dick

citdog
October 28th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Dick

Purple putz

gofurman
October 28th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Time to start voting for Furman folks

yep - FURMAN just beat the #11 ranked team (Western Carolina) at their place at their homecoming 28 -6 !!!

OL FU
October 28th, 2017, 08:55 PM
Purple putz

Blue ball knob

FurmanWins!!
October 28th, 2017, 09:26 PM
yep - FURMAN just beat the #11 ranked team (Western Carolina) at their place at their homecoming 28 -6 !!!

Yep!

RabidRabbit
October 28th, 2017, 10:04 PM
furman sucks
So, if Furman sucks, and THE Citadel is way below them, the Cadet dawgs are licking azz? xeyebrowx

citdog
October 28th, 2017, 10:34 PM
So, if Furman sucks, and THE Citadel is way below them, the Cadet dawgs are licking azz? xeyebrowx

Jackrabbits are the ones who "nibble your bum"...