PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League Week 7 2017

bonarae
October 21st, 2017, 11:28 PM
Columbia now the frontrunner for the title. But can Yale play spoiler in their game with each other this Saturday?

Dartmouth at Harvard
Penn at Brown
Columbia at Yale
Cornell at Princeton

Son of Eli
October 22nd, 2017, 12:29 AM
Harvard
Penn
Yale
Princeton

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2017, 08:06 AM
Harvard
Penn
Yale
Princeton

Agree with these picks

ngineer
October 22nd, 2017, 11:01 AM
Columbia sold out for their big game with Penn, will Yale??xeyebrowxxsmiley_wixHaven't seen Lions play, but I saw Yale's attack and I can't envision Columbia being able to contain. It would be great for IL football to have another true competitive team join the fray, but I don't see it. Yale, 38-20.

kdinva
October 22nd, 2017, 11:06 AM
Dartmouth 28 at Harvard 26
Penn 21 at Brown 24
Columbia 31 at Yale 34
Cornell 13 at Princeton 28

LehighU11
October 22nd, 2017, 03:55 PM
Columbia sold out for their big game with Penn, will Yale??xeyebrowxxsmiley_wixHaven't seen Lions play, but I saw Yale's attack and I can't envision Columbia being able to contain. It would be great for IL football to have another true competitive team join the fray, but I don't see it. Yale, 38-20.

I also suffered through the Yale game at Goodman, but I have a feeling the Lions' dream season continues. I'll go with Columbia for the win at the Yale Bowl, 26-24.

The Lions have an excellent defense and stymied Penn for the 2nd half last week and Dartmouth for the first 3 quarters this week. They don't miss tackles, are very capable of making stops inside the red zone, and have some great playmakers. Michael Murphy is a stud LB. He had 12 tackles, 4.5 of which were for a loss, and 2 fumble recoveries against Penn. They look better than just about every PL team since we went to schollies, with perhaps a few exceptions from 2013-2014 Fordham and 2016 Lehigh. The Lions' defense has bailed them out a few times, but their talented receivers and solid special teams have helped them win the close games, too.

Go Green
October 22nd, 2017, 04:45 PM
Agree with these picks

Yeah- Harvard's looked awesome this season.

:)

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2017, 05:09 PM
Yeah- Harvard's looked awesome this season.

:)

I hope I'm wrong. Harvard can't have enough losses for me. But I think they will play well and D will be down a little. We'll see.

Go Green
October 22nd, 2017, 05:43 PM
I hope I'm wrong. Harvard can't have enough losses for me. But I think they will play well and D will be down a little. We'll see.

If Harvard isn't going to show up for Princeton, I have a hard time seeing them show up for Dartmouth.

Son of Eli
October 22nd, 2017, 06:15 PM
If Harvard isn't going to show up for Princeton, I have a hard time seeing them show up for Dartmouth.

I don't see Murphy throwing in the towel. He will make necessary adjustments and find a way to turn it around, sooner or later. There's still an incredible amount of talent on that team. I wouldn't take Harvard lightly if I were Dartmouth. They're still mathematically alive and they're playing at home. Plus they have pride. These guys aren't accustomed to losing.

Ivytalk
October 22nd, 2017, 08:45 PM
Columbia now the frontrunner for the title. But can Yale play spoiler in their game with each other this Saturday?

Dartmouth at Harvard
Penn at Brown
Columbia at Yale
Cornell at Princeton
Agreed.

World
October 23rd, 2017, 10:37 AM
Dartmouth at Harvard
Penn at Brown
Columbia at Yale
Cornell at Princeton

pokefan02
October 24th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I heard a number of alumni are not happy that Columbia is winning. Please tell me this is not true.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Son of Eli
October 24th, 2017, 05:22 PM
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I heard a number of alumni are not happy that Columbia is winning. Please tell me this is not true.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That's Fake News from the New York Times. Columbia drew over 13,000 two weeks ago in their victory against Penn. That's the biggest crowd I've ever seen the Lions draw at home. After the game the students were so happy they stormed the field and hugged the players. It's sad the New York Times tried to paint a negative picture to a remarkable sports story. Here's their poor excuse of an article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/24/nyregion/columbia-football-winning.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below&_r=0

Bluefish845
October 26th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Dartmouth at Harvard
Penn at Brown
Columbia at Yale
Cornell at Princeton

Go Green
October 26th, 2017, 01:03 PM

These people pine for the good ol' days when Columbia was a national punchline.

https://deadspin.com/5860382/columbia-bans-marching-band-from-0-9-football-teams-finale-because-the-band-made-fun-of-the-team

CHIP72
October 28th, 2017, 12:26 PM
For unknown reasons, Brown is wearing black uniforms at home.

bulldog10jw
October 29th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Yale's win over Columbia yesterday was their 900th joining Michigan and ND as schools with that many victories.

http://www.nhregister.com/colleges/article/Yale-football-team-downs-Columbia-for-program-s-12314496.php

Go Green
October 29th, 2017, 06:08 PM
For unknown reasons, Brown is wearing black uniforms at home.

Then they will have joined Dartmouth, Harvard, and Princeton in that regard. Of course, black is one of Princeton's natural colors, so they get a pass.

Ivytalk
October 29th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Yale's win over Columbia yesterday was their 900th joining Michigan and ND as schools with that many victories.

http://www.nhregister.com/colleges/article/Yale-football-team-downs-Columbia-for-program-s-12314496.php
Impressive! Only three fewer wins than #2 Notre Dame.

C'mon, Yale! You have legacy rights to that #2 moniker...:D

Go...gate
October 29th, 2017, 06:52 PM
One of the more disappointing Princeton defeats in recent memory, and, IMO, it was on the coaching, not the players.

Attended the game with friends and the parent of one Tiger player.

For the most part, Princeton simply went to sleep after taking a 21 - 7 lead.

bulldog10jw
October 29th, 2017, 09:17 PM
One of the more disappointing Princeton defeats in recent memory, and, IMO, it was on the coaching, not the players.

I would be disappointed as well. I think Princeton has the most talent in the Ivy League.

Go...gate
October 29th, 2017, 09:21 PM
I would be disappointed as well. I think Princeton has the most talent in the Ivy League.

Princeton had far more talent than Cornell, but Cornell wanted it more. The Big Red were fired up and never quit.

bulldog10jw
October 29th, 2017, 09:21 PM
Impressive! Only three fewer wins than #2 Notre Dame.

C'mon, Yale! You have legacy rights to that #2 moniker...:D

As long as the Ivy teams keep playing only 10 games a year, they will continue to slip down the "most wins" list.

Even 7 or 8 wins a year would not keep up with teams playing 12-14 games and winning 11 or 12 every year.

World
October 30th, 2017, 12:53 AM

Tell you what, if you can't make a simple 45 yard field gold at the end of the game, then you don't deserve to win

simple

very simple indeed

Congrats to the Big Red

citdog
October 30th, 2017, 12:55 AM
Tell you what, if you can't make a simple 45 yard field gold at the end of the game, then you don't deserve to win

simple

very simple indeed

Congrats to the Big Red
There ain't nothing simple about a 45 yard field goal Poindexter. How many have you made?

Go...gate
October 30th, 2017, 01:58 AM

simple

very simple indeed

Congrats to the Big Red

The field goal was at the tail end of a wholesale collapse by Princeton, and that is most often a matter of coaching. The Tiger players looked like they did not believe they could lose.

Princeton was mostly listless on offense in the second half (and ran far too many slow-developing misdirection plays, with players having issues where they were lining up). They need to run more quick-hitting running plays.

The Tiger defense could not stop Cornell's quarterback from either a running or passing standpoint.

I felt very badly for the Princeton placekicker. That kick was a damn tough one - they needed to get him five or ten yards closer. Walked off the field all alone. I wanted to go over and tell him there will be other days and many successes for him.

Go...gate
October 30th, 2017, 02:06 AM
There ain't nothing simple about a 45 yard field goal Poindexter. How many have you made?

Amen, citdog. I know you speak from experience. I never kicked in college as you did, but I know there are no easy PAT's or field goals.

Son of Eli
October 30th, 2017, 02:43 AM
Princeton had far more talent than Cornell, but Cornell wanted it more. The Big Red were fired up and never quit.

Same thing happened to Yale against Dartmouth.

Son of Eli
October 30th, 2017, 02:46 AM
The field goal was at the tail end of a wholesale collapse by Princeton, and that is most often a matter of coaching. The Tiger players looked like they did not believe they could lose.

Princeton was mostly listless on offense in the second half (and ran far too many slow-developing misdirection plays, with players having issues where they were lining up). They need to run more quick-hitting running plays.

The Tiger defense could not stop Cornell's quarterback from either a running or passing standpoint.

I felt very badly for the Princeton placekicker. That kick was a damn tough one - they needed to get him five or ten yards closer. Walked off the field all alone. I wanted to go over and tell him there will be other days and many successes for him.

I think ink the kick was blocked, but the replay was inconclusive.

World
October 30th, 2017, 12:46 PM

Just because the kickers from The Citadel can't kick a FG longer than 15 yards, doesn't mean that a simple 45 yarder should be considered a complex field goal.

Go...gate
October 30th, 2017, 01:16 PM
A "simple" 45 yard field goal? Maybe if one is Charlie Gogolak (and I saw him miss his share for the Tigers) or an NFL kicker. I respectfully submit that you are understating the degree of difficulty.

citdog
October 30th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Just because the kickers from The Citadel can't kick a FG longer than 15 yards, doesn't mean that a simple 45 yarder should be considered a complex field goal.
Please go out and attempt one yourself. A LOT of things have to be perfectly done before shoe leather meets pigskin for a successful field goal or extra point. Please post video of your attempt.