PDA

View Full Version : If your a projected 1st round QB and cleveland drafts you do you say no and......

BisonBacker
October 17th, 2017, 02:32 PM
If your a projected 1st round QB and Cleveland drafts you do you say no and go back to school or try to work out a Manning type deal that gets you to a different team? I feel bad for any college qb's who are projected 1st rounders with the cloud of Cleveland looming over your head as being the team that drafts you. Yeah you'd get a boatload of money and for that it's hard to feel bad for a guy but from a competitors standpoint and a career outlook man that would be like staring down the barrel of a loaded gun.

What would you do?

BisonBacker
October 17th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Mind you I tried to avoid the money part of it as obviously if a guy got 1st round type money no matter what he should be set for life.

BisonBacker
October 17th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Oh and did I say how thankful I am that Wentz didn't go to Cleveland? xlolx

JSUSoutherner
October 17th, 2017, 03:09 PM
If I was drafted in the first round I would play. Even for the Browns. I'd hang around and learn what I can until my rookie contract was up then book it on out of there unless things started going well.

Honestly the pieces are there for the Browns to be somewhat successful, they have a running game, a solid OL, a talented defense. They are basically what the lite version of what the Texans have been the last couple years just not as good defensively. They just need to find their Deshaun Watson.

BisonTru
October 17th, 2017, 03:10 PM
You can't go back to school. You could pull an Eli and demand a trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reign of Terrier
October 17th, 2017, 03:15 PM
I could be bull****ting a stat here, but I'm pretty sure if you're a QB and you leave school early, you're more likely to be a bust than if you go all 4 years. So I picked the last option, but for different reasons.

BisonBacker
October 17th, 2017, 03:54 PM
You can't go back to school. You could pull an Eli and demand a trade.

I'm saying if you know you are going to go in the first round and you even think you are going to get picked by the browns would you opt to stay in school as opposed to declare eligible for the draft.

BisonBacker
October 17th, 2017, 03:55 PM
If I was drafted in the first round I would play. Even for the Browns. I'd hang around and learn what I can until my rookie contract was up then book it on out of there unless things started going well.

Honestly the pieces are there for the Browns to be somewhat successful, they have a running game, a solid OL, a talented defense. They are basically what the lite version of what the Texans have been the last couple years just not as good defensively. They just need to find their Deshaun Watson.

There is a reason they call it the factory of sadness xnodx

JSUSoutherner
October 17th, 2017, 04:35 PM
There is a reason they call it the factory of sadness xnodx
I mean your not wrong but a first round type paycheck can buy quite a bit of happiness.

BisonTru
October 17th, 2017, 04:54 PM
I'm saying if you know you are going to go in the first round and you even think you are going to get picked by the browns would you opt to stay in school as opposed to declare eligible for the draft.

The Browns traded the pick that could have drafted Wentz and Watson. If you're good enough the Browns will probably pass on you.

walliver
October 18th, 2017, 10:03 AM
If the check clears, I would take the job.

Bisonator
October 19th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Wouldn't matter, Cleveland would pass and trade down to get another 100 picks that they would screw up any way.xlolx

dgtw
October 19th, 2017, 11:23 AM
What happens if you just refuse to sign? Do they hold your rights forever?

BisonTru
October 19th, 2017, 12:32 PM
What happens if you just refuse to sign? Do they hold your rights forever?

From my understanding pretty much. Basically if you want to play in the NFL you have to play for whoever holds your rights for at least 4 years (there's a team 5th year option for 1st rounders).

clenz
October 19th, 2017, 12:55 PM
From my understanding pretty much. Basically if you want to play in the NFL you have to play for whoever holds your rights for at least 4 years (there's a team 5th year option for 1st rounders).

They hold your rights for a year. You are then put into the draft the next year.

This nearly happened with Joey Bossa last year with the Chargers.

Teams have until August 9th to trade a draft pick that is unsigned.

Teams have until November 15th to sign a draft pick.

If unsigned on November 15th his rights are held until the end of the NFL year, which is the second Wendesday of March (I believe). At that point the player is put back into the draft pool. Unable to sign as a free agent

BisonTru
October 19th, 2017, 01:00 PM
They hold your rights for a year. You are then put into the draft the next year.

Do you have a link? You could be right, I'm just not finding anything that definitively states one way or the other.

clenz
October 19th, 2017, 01:04 PM
Do you have a link? You could be right, I'm just not finding anything that definitively states one way or the other.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/04/bosa-impasse-continues/

Bosa can sign at any time through the Tuesday after Week 10. Beyond that point, he can’t play in 2016.

After the season, the Chargers would retain exclusive rights to him until the 2017 draft begins. At that point, Bosa would re-enter the draft.
Because the Chargers would continue to hold his rights, no other team could talk to Bosa before the draft, and he wouldn’t be permitted to return to the Scouting Combine.

The Chargers could, in theory, trade Bosa. But they would need to do it quickly. Under the CBA, they can trade Bosa’s rights up until the 30th day before the start of the regular season. The regular season begins on September 8, with the Panthers visiting the Broncos. The Chargers have until Tuesday, August 9 to send his rights to another team.

Then I just used the League Calendar found on NFL.com to find exact dates

I also had the NFL rule book/CBA open. I can find the exact phrasing again if you'd like.

BisonTru
October 19th, 2017, 01:09 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/04/bosa-impasse-continues/

Then I just used the League Calendar found on NFL.com to find exact dates

I also had the NFL rule book/CBA open. I can find the exact phrasing again if you'd like.

Thanks. That should be good enough. I didn't know that.

BisonTru
October 19th, 2017, 01:13 PM
With that new information staying in school because Cleveland might draft you is looking even dumber. Not only are you risking injury staying in school, but even if worse case scenario they draft you. You could simply hold out a year and go into the draft again. Plus the odds are pretty high Cleveland will be picking close to the top for a few years yet.

I'd still just sign with Cleveland and get to work. Someone, someday is going to turn Cleveland around. You'd be a legend in that town if it was you.

clenz
October 19th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Also have to remember, that unless Cleveland tells you they are taking you VERY...VERY...early there is no way to go back to school. You'll have hired an agent (no longer can go back) and the draft withdrawl date is Jan 19th https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017DIENF_2017NFLEducationMemo_20161201.pdf

So...

You're option is to play, demand a trade and sit out a year with no one able to see what your doing to work out/stay sharp

Take the ****ing money. Deal with it.

BisonTru
October 19th, 2017, 01:25 PM
On the flip side of this debate. Brad Kaaya and Jerod Evans left a year early last year. Iirc, Kaaya was drafted in the 7th round and Evans went undrafted. Kaaya was just resigned by the Lions after cutting him and him going to Carolina. Evans just got signed to the Packers practice squad.

Both of these QBs should have spent another year in college.

JSUSoutherner
October 19th, 2017, 01:25 PM

Teams have until August 9th to trade a draft pick that is unsigned.

Teams have until November 15th to sign a draft pick.

If unsigned on November 15th his rights are held until the end of the NFL year, which is the second Wendesday of March (I believe). At that point the player is put back into the draft pool. Unable to sign as a free agent

Basically what Bo Jackson did to the Buccs.

woffordgrad94
October 19th, 2017, 08:29 PM
Cleveland...where QBs go to die. No flippin’ way I’d accept being drafted by that train wreck of an organization. They might be the worst in all of pro sports right now. Call me arrogant for saying that..I don’t care. Yes, you would get a lot of money but you’d likely become a punchline too. I love money, but my pride means something to me too.