PDA

View Full Version : Southland Expansion Rumors

Catatonic
October 9th, 2017, 05:56 AM
Tarleton State has formed a D1 task force to update it’s feasibility study re: moving from D2 to D1. The task force has been asked to compete their work quickly since an invitation could come as soon as December. Many of their fans are convinced the SLC has signaled its willingness to add either Tarleton or TAMU Commerce owing to their proximity to the DFW metroplex and the financial crisis in LA that has created uncertainly about the future of Nicholls and/ or SLU.

Anyone hearing anything about this?

https://jtacnews.com/9672/student-life/tarleton-creates-task-force-for-potential-ncaa-d-i-invite/

Serpentor
October 9th, 2017, 09:56 AM
I hope not, no offense Catatonic, but the last thing the Southland needs is have the reputation of being the Sun Belt of FCS.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2017, 10:00 AM
I hope not, no offense Catatonic, but the last thing the Southland needs is to have the reputation of being the Sun Belt of FCS.

You mean they don't already?

McNeese75
October 9th, 2017, 10:03 AM
You mean they don't already?

WOW, this coming from a Patriot conference fan??? xlolx

Catatonic
October 9th, 2017, 10:15 AM
I hope not, no offense Catatonic, but the last thing the Southland needs is have the reputation of being the Sun Belt of FCS.

I’m not offended in the slightest. I think that is a valid concern and will be until the newbie teams become more competitive.

I just saw a thread on this topic on the D2 board and wondered if there was any truth to it.

McCowboys
October 9th, 2017, 10:19 AM
I’m not offended in the slightest. think that is a valid concern and will be until the newbie teams become more competitive.

I don't know anything about this at all. McNeese played them in football last year, and I know at that time their fans were talking about wanting to move to FCS and join the SLC. Had they ever applied for membership with the SLC before? I would vote no only for the fact that the Southland already has too many purple teams as it is!

Wildcat1997
October 9th, 2017, 10:20 AM
If Tarleton were to move up we might have an actual rival in the Southland.

Daytripper
October 9th, 2017, 10:23 AM
I would rather have Prairie View A&M....

BEAR
October 9th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Please...no more expansion....ever...unless a team or two leaves....then its not expansion...I guess...but please....NO. xmadx

Daytripper
October 9th, 2017, 10:32 AM
Please...no more expansion....ever...unless a team or two leaves....then its not expansion...I guess...but please....NO. xmadx

Oh, I agree with you. But IF expansion is inevitable, I want PVAMU if they are willing.

Catatonic
October 9th, 2017, 10:38 AM
Oh, I agree with you. But IF expansion is inevitable, I want PVAMU if they are willing.
no four year transition would be nice. Can’t see PVAMU leaving the HBCU conference tradition behind though to join a bunch of cracker schools.

lionsrking2
October 9th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Tarleton State has formed a D1 task force to update it’s feasibility study re: moving from D2 to D1. The task force has been asked to compete their work quickly since an invitation could come as soon as December. Many of their fans are convinced the SLC has signaled its willingness to add either Tarleton or TAMU Commerce owing to their proximity to the DFW metroplex and the financial crisis in LA that has created uncertainly about the future of Nicholls and/ or SLU.

Anyone hearing anything about this?

https://jtacnews.com/9672/student-life/tarleton-creates-task-force-for-potential-ncaa-d-i-invite/

All Louisiana schools not named LSU are equally affected by the state budget, it's not just "Nicholls and/or SLU." That said, SLU will be fine.

lionsrking2
October 9th, 2017, 10:52 AM
no four year transition would be nice. Can’t see PVAMU leaving the HBCU conference tradition behind though to join a bunch of cracker schools.

Wow. xrolleyesx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2017, 11:06 AM
PVAMU joining the Southland in a Tennessee State/OVC sort of situation would be really cool. You know another school that might be up for that? Jackson State.

UNIFanSince1983
October 9th, 2017, 11:07 AM

Honestly, if I were a Southland fan currently I would like some expansion in the hopes that it could help to reduce the conference schedule from 9 games.

lionsrking2
October 9th, 2017, 11:25 AM
Honestly, if I were a Southland fan currently I would like some expansion in the hopes that it could help to reduce the conference schedule from 9 games.

We don't need a 9 game schedule as it is now. It's killing our league.

Katfan
October 9th, 2017, 11:32 AM
I don't know anything about this at all. McNeese played them in football last year, and I know at that time their fans were talking about wanting to move to FCS and join the SLC. Had they ever applied for membership with the SLC before? I would vote no only for the fact that the Southland already has too many purple teams as it is!
1 is too many!

Catatonic
October 9th, 2017, 11:36 AM
All Louisiana schools not named LSU are equally affected by the state budget, it's not just "Nicholls and/or SLU." That said, SLU will be fine.

Last I heard there was a move to merge SLU and Nicholls based on proximity to each other and Nicholls enrollment decline. Another option was for Nicholls to go private.

WestCoastAggie
October 9th, 2017, 11:36 AM
They're the only SWAC school that may consider it, due to being part of the A&M system.

It would be a divisive and contentious debate internally but time will tell. That school founded the SWAC 90 plus years ago.

WestCoastAggie
October 9th, 2017, 11:38 AM
We don't need a 9 game schedule as it is now. It's killing our league.

Just move to east/west divisions if/when Tarleton State or Commerce make the move.

Will the SLC help them pay the $1 million reclassification fee?

WestCoastAggie
October 9th, 2017, 11:40 AM
PVAMU joining the Southland in a Tennessee State/OVC sort of situation would be really cool. You know another school that might be up for that? Jackson State.
Nope to JSU. The president that would've considered it, Dr. Meyers and provost Rennick are no longer at the school.

Ironically, those two came from A&T, with Rennick as he Chancellor and Meyers as the provost.

Catatonic
October 9th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Just move to east/west divisions if/when Tarleton State or Commerce make the move.

Will the SLC help them pay the $1 million reclassification fee?

Tarleton is raising the money. I don’t know about TAMUC.

FormerPokeCenter
October 9th, 2017, 12:09 PM
I'd rather see TAMU-Kingsville joint the SLC than any other school....or see TAMU-K and TAMU-CC combine. TAMU-CC is already in the conference...

Catatonic
October 9th, 2017, 12:11 PM
If PVAMU showed any interest at all in such a move, the SLC should jump at the chance to add them. Very nice new stadium and a coach who has them headed in the right direction.

LIONFAN07
October 9th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Last I heard there was a move to merge SLU and Nicholls based on proximity to each other and Nicholls enrollment decline. Another option was for Nicholls to go private.

I live in this area and have been following SLU for awhile I NEVER heard this mentioned. SLU is going to be fine. We are in a pretty good place as a department and there are some major facility upgrades coming in the next couple years.

Nicholls enrollment has declined but I think their department with their new AD is doing some good things. I think they will be fine as well.

Southland needs no more teams. The 9 game schedule is not good and hurt Sam last year and might hurt UCA and Sam again this year.

Catatonic
October 9th, 2017, 12:44 PM
I live in this area and have been following SLU for awhile I NEVER heard this mentioned. SLU is going to be fine. We are in a pretty good place as a department and there are some major facility upgrades coming in the next couple years.

Nicholls enrollment has declined but I think their department with their new AD is doing some good things. I think they will be fine as well.

Southland needs no more teams. The 9 game schedule is not good and hurt Sam last year and might hurt UCA and Sam again this year.

LA is in near crisis mode budget wise. The state has more universities than justified by overall population.
Closings or mergers are inevitable.

I won’t presume to say how it will happen, only that it will and the most vulnerable schools should most logically be those with declining enrollment and/0r the lowest graduation rates. Politics often trump logic though, so who knows what will happen.

i agree with your point about a 9 game conference schedule and whatever convoluted system they use to determine rotation.

LIONFAN07
October 9th, 2017, 12:53 PM
LA is in near crisis mode budget wise. The state has more universities than justified by overall population.

I won’t presume to say how it will happen, only that it will and the most vulnerable schools should most logically be those with declining enrollment and/0r the lowest graduation rates. Politics often trump logic though, so who knows what will happen.

i agree with your point about a 9 game conference schedule and whatever convoluted system they use to determine rotation.

I do agree there are way too many schools in this state. Southeastern has 15,000 students and is located in a growing area in this state. Nicholls has around 6,000 students. If there was a merge I don't know if it would be Nicholls and SLU. I could see UNO and Nicholls merging. But they aren't part of the same system.

In the north you have LA Tech,UL Monroe, and Grambling within 50 miles of each other in an area where population is shrinking.

It is a fair point Catatonic it will be interesting to see what happens.

TheRevSFA
October 9th, 2017, 12:56 PM
If Tarleton were to move up we might have an actual rival in the Southland.

Please God move them up so ACU fans will quit thinking SFA is their rival.

Please please please. I'll pay the damn entry fee.

TheRevSFA
October 9th, 2017, 12:57 PM
I'd rather see TAMU-Kingsville joint the SLC than any other school....or see TAMU-K and TAMU-CC combine. TAMU-CC is already in the conference...

I thought they were combining? Maybe I dreamed it.

lionsrking2
October 9th, 2017, 01:01 PM

The budget has been near crisis mode since shortly after Jindal took office in '08, and much of it self-inflicted. Some of the damage is probably permanent due to the political climate, and there may be some inevitable changes down the road, but SLU as an institution will be fine for the foreseeable future.

TheRevSFA
October 9th, 2017, 01:01 PM
If the SLC were to take them, I'd hope SFA, Sammy, UCA, McNeese, SELA, and Nw State would look at breaking off and forming their own.

No offense to any other SLC schools, but too many fish in this pond at that point

BisonTru
October 9th, 2017, 01:14 PM

No offense, but A&M Commerce would help your conference strength. IMHO.

Daytripper
October 9th, 2017, 01:15 PM
If the SLC were to take them, I'd hope SFA, Sammy, UCA, McNeese, SELA, and Nw State would look at breaking off and forming their own.

No offense to any other SLC schools, but too many fish in this pond at that point

If Lamar ever got their s**t together, they would be a legit power....but, it is Lamar.

Catatonic
October 9th, 2017, 01:22 PM
No offense, but A&M Commerce would help your conference strength. IMHO.
A&M Commerce would have to stop taking players who don’t qualify for D1 schools so their success would quickly go away.

lionsrking2
October 9th, 2017, 01:57 PM

This.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 9th, 2017, 02:11 PM
The budget has been near crisis mode since shortly after Jindal took office in '08

What an amazing coincidence that the higher education "crises" came just after Jindal came to power.

lionsrking2
October 9th, 2017, 02:17 PM
What an amazing coincidence that the higher education "crises" came just after Jindal came to power.

Yes, quite amazing indeed.

McCowboys
October 9th, 2017, 02:23 PM
There was an editorial in the Lake Charles American Press not too long ago, and the financial situation/closing/merging topics were addressed by someone in the know. He said "they" can talk all they want, but it won't ever happen. There is just too much politics/political favors for that. He may be wrong. But Louisiana has faced some severe crises over the years, and I think if it were going to happen, it would have happened by now.
Just recently, McNeese students passed an athletics fee that will be bringing in more money to support athletics, and we have a new president with a background in business who is also a former McNeese football player.

Serpentor
October 9th, 2017, 02:48 PM

Yes, it's all Jindal's fault. It has nothing to do that Louisiana has state corruption second only to Illinois throughout it's history.

Also, leave your political virtue signaling on the Political forum where it belongs.

TheRevSFA
October 9th, 2017, 02:51 PM
There was an editorial in the Lake Charles American Press not too long ago, and the financial situation/closing/merging topics were addressed by someone in the know. He said "they" can talk all they want, but it won't ever happen. There is just too much politics/political favors for that. He may be wrong. But Louisiana has faced some severe crises over the years, and I think if it were going to happen, it would have happened by now.
Just recently, McNeese students passed an athletics fee that will be bringing in more money to support athletics, and we have a new president with a background in business who is also a former McNeese football player.

I didn't realize FPC was prez at McNeese?

cx500d
October 9th, 2017, 02:59 PM
The state has more universities than justified by overall population.

I think North Dakota is in this boat. There are three other 4 year colleges within 70 miles of NDSU, and this is on the far eastern edge of the state, where there are Minnesota state universities in proximity also.

McCowboys
October 9th, 2017, 03:21 PM
I didn't realize FPC was prez at McNeese?

No, I voted for FPC, but he lost out to Daryl Burckel.

Catatonic
October 9th, 2017, 03:27 PM
I think North Dakota is in this boat. There are three other 4 year colleges within 70 miles of NDSU, and this is on the far eastern edge of the state, where there are Minnesota state universities in proximity also.

Georgia just completed mergers involving 14 university system schools. Pa is considering a similar move although it’s a bit more difficult to pull off there because campuses are unionized.

lionsrking2
October 9th, 2017, 03:29 PM
Prior to the Jindal administration, Louisiana had a tax structure in place (called the Stelly Plan) to help stabilize the state budget from the ups and downs of the oil and gas based economy. One of his main campaign themes and first orders of business upon entering the governor's mansion was to roll back the Stelly Plan. Wasn't long after that the state started running huge deficits with no protection for higher ed and health care from budget cuts. Higher Ed saw budget cuts for eight straight years totaling upwards of 800 million dollars. One can argue the politics and what they think this right or wrong in regards to taxation and budgetary priorities but the facts are the facts.

Catatonic
October 9th, 2017, 03:31 PM

If the SLC takes these or any other schools it will be with the approval of the presidents of present members, including those on your list.

Laker
October 9th, 2017, 03:58 PM

I never did figure out why they made Crookston a four year school. They are in UND's back yard, twenty miles away. Bemidji & Moorhead could have done the job on the Minnesota side of the river.

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 9th, 2017, 05:28 PM

I wish Pennsylvania had Jindal instead of Wolf.

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 9th, 2017, 05:29 PM
Georgia just completed mergers involving 14 university system schools. Pa is considering a similar move although it’s a bit more difficult to pull off there because campuses are unionized.

Pennsylvania won't do it until we elect a real governor.

citdog
October 9th, 2017, 06:20 PM

nice virtue signaling

Catatonic
October 9th, 2017, 06:29 PM
nice virtue signaling
Or simply a recognition that PVAMU is a better option than a d2 move up..new stadium, good team in place and ready to compete from the get go. That plus the bonus virtue points.

DFW HOYA
October 9th, 2017, 06:32 PM
Expanding with Tarleton State? What, Hardin-Simmons wasn't available?

citdog
October 9th, 2017, 06:41 PM

**** Tarleton

http://i2.wp.com/www.battleofcowpens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/letters_Banastre_Tarleton.jpg?resize=161%2C225

TheRevSFA
October 9th, 2017, 06:50 PM
If the SLC takes these or any other schools it will be with the approval of the presidents of present members, including those on your list.

Again. I hope the presidents accept and then bail

cx500d
October 9th, 2017, 06:51 PM

Sul Ross was too far away.

Catatonic
October 9th, 2017, 06:57 PM
Again. I hope the presidents accept and then bail

So you are saying the presidents of the universities you mention ahouls be duplicitous, spiteful and petty by voting to admit new schools knowing they are going to bail?

Careful what you wish for....a couple of those other schools might not think SFA is worth taking with them.

cx500d
October 9th, 2017, 07:01 PM
**** Tarleton

http://i2.wp.com/www.battleofcowpens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/letters_Banastre_Tarleton.jpg?resize=161%2C225

Good try...Wrong one though, John was a rancher, not a butcher of South Carolinians.

gokats85
October 9th, 2017, 09:11 PM
Great. Just what the Southland needs: more purple. xcoffeex

McNeese75
October 9th, 2017, 09:17 PM
Great. Just what the Southland needs: more purple. xcoffeex

No Joke xeyebrowx

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 9th, 2017, 10:07 PM
**** Tarleton

Preach.

Thank God Daniel Morgan taught old Benny a lesson at Cowpens.

I wanted SFU to stop at Kings Mountain or Cowpens on the way down to Presbyterian. Those battlefields are on my bucket list. I have been to Guilford Court House.

TheRevSFA
October 9th, 2017, 11:14 PM
So you are saying the presidents of the universities you mention ahouls be duplicitous, spiteful and petty by voting to admit new schools knowing they are going to bail?

Careful what you wish for....a couple of those other schools might not think SFA is worth taking with them.

Eh SFA and Sammy and SFA and NW state won't split up from each other

Catatonic
October 10th, 2017, 02:52 AM
Eh SFA and Sammy and SFA and NW state won't split up from each other
So daddy Sammy will take care of you. Got it.

TheRevSFA
October 10th, 2017, 05:05 AM
So daddy Sammy will take care of you. Got it.

Are you mad as well that SFA doesn't want to be ACU's rival even though ACU keeps trying to push for it?

let's be honest, there's more to it than football. Basketball is already saturated enough with corpus and uno. The conference does not need more teams.

Catatonic
October 10th, 2017, 06:01 AM
Are you mad as well that SFA doesn't want to be ACU's rival even though ACU keeps trying to push for it?

let's be honest, there's more to it than football. Basketball is already saturated enough with corpus and uno. The conference does not need more teams.

I’m not asking for more teams. Last I heard our Commish said we are not interested in expansion so when I saw a thread about Tarleton on another board I wondered if anyone here had heard anything about it. Who knows what will happen in the future though so it is good to know there are schools interested in signing up for the SLC should, say, Sam Houston get an invite to a FBS conference and decide to bolt.

I could care less whether SFA is our rival or not. I’m actually pretty indifferent about SFA, other than the Sawmill which I enjoy. I’m mostly just messing with you. The whole rival thing seems to have been between the two student booster groups. I didn’t pay much attention to it but it appears to have bothered you.

I’d say most adult ACU fans have been more impressed with McNeese than SFA. A bunch of Cowboy fans showed up on our board to talk football before and after the game and they brought more of their supporters to Abilene than any other school we have played. Also, their coaches approach football the way our new coach wants our program to go—lead the conference in defense and establish a good running game to set up the pass.

TheRevSFA
October 10th, 2017, 06:25 AM
I’m not asking for more teams. Last I heard our Commish said we are not interested in expansion so when I saw a thread about Tarleton on another board I wondered if anyone here had heard anything about it. Who knows what will happen in the future though so it is good to know there are schools interested in signing up for the SLC should, say, Sam Houston get an invite to a FBS conference and decide to bolt.

I could care less whether SFA is our rival or not. I’m actually pretty indifferent about SFA, other than the Sawmill which I enjoy. I’m mostly just messing with you. The whole rival thing seems to have been between the two student booster groups. I didn’t pay much attention to it but it appears to have bothered you.

I’d say most adult ACU fans have been more impressed with McNeese than SFA. A bunch of Cowboy fans showed up on our board to talk football before and after the game and they brought more of their supporters to Abilene than any other school we have played. Also, their coaches approach football the way our new coach wants our program to go—lead the conference in defense and establish a good running game to set up the pass.

It wasn't just the student booster groups. More of the marketing department.

I personally have liked ACU joining the conference and wish y'all had been able to do it earlier.

My concern is the conference is going to puts the presidents into seriously looking at adding teams by conning them into believing that stephenville helps grab the DFW market.

dgtw
October 10th, 2017, 06:30 AM

It isn't cool if they don't have to play a full conference schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthony215
October 10th, 2017, 07:03 AM

Unless the SWAC completely folds I can't see any logical reason for PVAMU to leave the conference and their rivals that bring in 10-50k fans for the Southland conference.

LIONFAN07
October 10th, 2017, 10:28 AM
I wish Pennsylvania had Jindal instead of Wolf.

Trust me you want no part of Jindal. He almost single handily destroyed our state in more ways that the ones listed here. He was a complete disaster.

McNeese75
October 10th, 2017, 10:52 AM
Trust me you want no part of Jindal. He almost single handily destroyed our state in more ways that the ones listed here. He was a complete disaster.

Gotta agree with ya Lion on this one. Although when he was running and I met him at a football game I thought he was going to be a good thing for the State.

Wildcat1997
October 10th, 2017, 11:12 AM
It wasn't just the student booster groups. More of the marketing department.

I personally have liked ACU joining the conference and wish y'all had been able to do it earlier.

My concern is the conference is going to puts the presidents into seriously looking at adding teams by conning them into believing that stephenville helps grab the DFW market.What did the marketing department do?

McCowboys
October 10th, 2017, 04:41 PM

The truth!

- - - Updated - - -

Gotta agree with ya Lion on this one. Although when he was running and I met him at a football game I thought he was going to be a good thing for the State.

Jindal was a disaster!

chrisattsu
October 23rd, 2017, 02:32 PM

Tarleton has been considering this for more than a decade.

2005- Tries to join Southland, but Corpus and Central Ark are chosen because of facilities and funding
2007- Tarleton announces master plan with D1 as stated goal and facility renovations
2009- Students vote to increase athletic fee from $6 to $10 per credit hour to finance enhancements
2012- Southland loses TXST,UTSA,UTA and starts looking for replacements. Adds UIW ACU, Houston Baptist, New Orleans, Oral Roberts.
2013- Tarleton students increase athletic fee from $10 to $22 to again enhance facilities.

Fees are in place and enrollment is now above 12,000. Facility enhancements are happening all over campus and especially around athletics. Tennis courts redone. Rec fields for intramural soccer have been made NCAA soccer ready. Football improvements underway and President talks about new swim/dive complex.

Just my 2 cents- Tarleton wasn't ready when ACU moved up. They learned from being left behind and started pushing full force to get things in place when the next offer would come. Based on comments from the Tarleton AD, the SLC wasn't ready to expand while ACU and UIW were in their 5 year transition window. That has come to a close and they are now full D1 members. At this point, the SLC can explore taking on another transition team.

BucBisonAtLarge
October 23rd, 2017, 02:49 PM
WOW, this coming from a Patriot conference fan??? xlolx

We just wish we could add RPI or Johns Hopkins.

Damn Dayton rule.