PDA

View Full Version : EWU and Montana No Longer Rivals

kalm
September 28th, 2017, 07:10 PM
Eastern Washington and Montana will not meet on the football field next year, the Big Sky Conference confirmed Thursday.

Moreover, their longstanding rivalry – unbroken for 35 years – will now become a hit-and-miss affair, the result of closed-door meetings by school and conference officials last year that eased the way for Idaho to return to the Big Sky.

With the addition of Idaho and the departure of North Dakota in 2018, the conference has revamped its list of “protected rivalries” – those schools guaranteed to play each other every season.

The 2018 and 2019 schedules were finalized in September 2016 and released to the Big Sky’s 13 schools, but not to the public. The Spokesman-Review obtained those schedules on Thursday from Big Sky officials.

The only school adversely affected is Eastern, which now loses all future guarantees of games against the school that most Eagles fans consider to be their biggest rival – Montana.

Currently, Eastern Washington’s protected rivals are Portland State and Montana, but that will change next year when the Griz are replaced by Idaho.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/sep/28/eastern-washington-wont-have-montana-on-its-footba/

WestCoastAggie
September 28th, 2017, 07:18 PM
It's weird to keep the protected rivalries thing confidential. Moreover, whose the bigger EWU rival: Idaho or Montana?

I thought it would be Idaho being that they are 75 miles apart.

BisonTru
September 28th, 2017, 08:06 PM
I would assume Montanas protected rivalries are Montana St and Idaho.

For Griz fans would you rather have Idaho or Eastern as a rivalry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jadmt
September 28th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Idaho goes back a long time. I remember throwing potatoes on the field back in the early 70's. The Griz look like they are going to have two tough schedules compared to the last few years..

Iridebikes
September 28th, 2017, 08:39 PM
Well this is too bad!!! Lucky for Montana that they get a break from us (tongue in cheek). Not going to miss facing that QB of theirs. He's could be a really good one. Idaho is the natural rival with only 75 miles between the two of us. The impression that I get from their fans however is that nothing will be good enough for them that isn't FCS so my expectations are low about being able to develop a rivalry. But lets give it a go here. I do believe that the last time Idaho and EWU played, EWU won. At Idaho.

tomq04
September 28th, 2017, 08:42 PM
NO WAY!!! Montana is the biggest game of the year every year! Still excited about Idaho, however this is more of a show case that the big sky is too big!

nodak651
September 28th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Sounds like Idaho will have the toughest schedule every year. Also guessing they didn't give UND a bye again for the 2018 schedule...

Schism55
September 28th, 2017, 08:56 PM
This seems like a short sighted and bad idea.

kalm
September 28th, 2017, 09:17 PM
And we get no return trip from this year's game having to go back to Missoula in 2019. Wonder what the odds are of a home and home based on years we don't play similar to our arrangement with MSU?

I'm positive we'd do it.

mvemjsunpx
September 28th, 2017, 09:26 PM
And we get no return trip from this year's game having to go back to Missoula in 2019. Wonder what the odds are of a home and home based on years we don't play similar to our arrangement with MSU?

I'm positive we'd do it.

It wouldn't happen until at least 2020 since Montana's '18 & '19 schedules are finalized.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't personally care, but Idaho is a bigger rival historically and that rivalry has a trophy attached.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 28th, 2017, 09:31 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely Idaho, they are a decent Big Sky team and we have been playing them for a lot longer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Brown_Stein

Catbooster
September 29th, 2017, 01:53 AM
It's odd that they haven't let us know who the new protected rivals are. UND is one of ours, since Bozeman is, I think, the shortest distance to them. We (the fans) don't know who our new "rival" (in addition to UM) will be when UND moves to the MVFC.

For Montana, MSU and Idaho make sense. They are both traditional rivals. EWU has become a good rivalry for UM, but it doesn't have the long history of MSU and UI.

For UI, it makes sense to have UM and EWU as they are the closest. I don't remember when EWU joined the Big Sky - did they have a rivalry with Idaho?

It does seem like EWU gets the worst deal out of this, as I'm not sure they have a true rivalry with PSU. Like Kalm said, MSU and EWU have an arrangement to play each other non-conference on the years we don't meet in conference (not sure if there is a time span on the arrangement). They could probably do that with UM, but there may be years when that takes 2 of their 3 non-conf games.

WestCoastAggie
September 29th, 2017, 02:22 AM
It's odd that they haven't let us know who the new protected rivals are. UND is one of ours, since Bozeman is, I think, the shortest distance to them. We (the fans) don't know who our new "rival" (in addition to UM) will be when UND moves to the MVFC.

For Montana, MSU and Idaho make sense. They are both traditional rivals. EWU has become a good rivalry for UM, but it doesn't have the long history of MSU and UI.

For UI, it makes sense to have UM and EWU as they are the closest. I don't remember when EWU joined the Big Sky - did they have a rivalry with Idaho?

It does seem like EWU gets the worst deal out of this, as I'm not sure they have a true rivalry with PSU. Like Kalm said, MSU and EWU have an arrangement to play each other non-conference on the years we don't meet in conference (not sure if there is a time span on the arrangement). They could probably do that with UM, but there may be years when that takes 2 of their 3 non-conf games.

It will be a delicate balance between those arrangements and scheduling FBS games.

kalm
September 29th, 2017, 05:50 AM

It's also odd that ISU doesn't get their in-state peer institution as a protected rival.

And who becomes UNC's 2nd? ISU, MSU, or NAU?

mvemjsunpx
September 29th, 2017, 06:21 AM
It's also odd that ISU doesn't get their in-state peer institution as a protected rival.

Not really. Idaho/Idaho State has never been much of a rivalry—Idaho/Montana, Idaho/Boise, and Weber/ISU are all a bit bigger. Also, Moscow is much closer to Cheney or Missoula than it is to Pocatello.

And who becomes UNC's 2nd? ISU, MSU, or NAU?

MSU, presumably. NoDak's designated rivals are MSU & NoCo, so the simplest solution is to just pair MSU & NoCo after NoDak leaves.

kalm
September 29th, 2017, 07:11 AM
Not really. Idaho/Idaho State has never been much of a rivalry—Idaho/Montana, Idaho/Boise, and Weber/ISU are all a bit bigger. Also, Moscow is much closer to Cheney or Missoula than it is to Pocatello.

I get all of that. Missoula is half as far from us as Portland. PSU is no more our rival than the Bengals are to Idaho. There's no perfect fit, but in-state rivals should be a consideration. Idaho gets what it wants as the newcomer, Montana gets what it wants. We get screwed in the deal.

I'll quit whining now. :D

Guess we'll roll back the clocks to 1985 when the Big Sky didn't really want us and we had to prove it on the field. :D:D

MTfan4life
September 29th, 2017, 08:36 AM
Guess we'll roll back the clocks to 1985 when the Big Sky didn't really want us and we had to prove it on the field. :D:D

The Big Sky probably would be better with 12, now that you mention it. They might accept you in the Southland. Otherwise, I know the Great Northwest Athletic Conference is looking for teams. :D

UNIFanSince1983
September 29th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Idaho goes back a long time. I remember throwing potatoes on the field back in the early 70's. The Griz look like they are going to have two tough schedules compared to the last few years..

Wait Montana fans throwing stuff on the field? I don't believe it...

Grizalltheway
September 29th, 2017, 09:53 AM

Almost as hard to believe as Farley being a douchenozzle. ;)

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 29th, 2017, 10:40 AM

Yep its true we used to throw a lot of "W's" on the field but now we just throw games away.

That being said even with an unranked team we would probably win the Southland conference.

Iridebikes
September 29th, 2017, 11:24 AM
The Big Sky probably would be better with 12, now that you mention it. They might accept you in the Southland. Otherwise, I know the Great Northwest Athletic Conference is looking for teams. :D

Considering the performance of the Griz over the last couple years you may not want to crow too much. The old adage of "he who throws stones should not live in a glass house" is applicable here.

BadlandsGrizFan
September 29th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Basically Montana is the only one this benefits...once again showing that the BigSky is a ****ing **** show and mess of a conference..waaay to big.

MSU gets screwed, theyre going to have a fake rival as their 2nd rival.

EWU realllly gets screwed, not only for the fans but monetarily.....the Montana game was by far their biggest draw every year...so this also hits them in their pocket books.

Im too young to remember IDaho being a rival...I always considered EWU as a rival since they are the only team since I've been alive that has given Montana consistent title fights, well up until recently lol. I am excited for the new Idaho rivalry tho...just unfamiliar.

Grizalltheway
September 29th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Considering the performance of the Griz over the last couple years you may not want to crow too much. The old adage of "he who throws stones should not live in a glass house" is applicable here.

And you may want to look into how to take a joke. ;)

Serpentor
September 29th, 2017, 12:32 PM
Do you have to play EVERY year in a rivalry? Plenty of teams kept rivalries going even after then went to different conferences or even levels, they just keep the meetings to 3-4 a decade.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 29th, 2017, 12:55 PM
I think so, if you don't it's just another game you play every once and awhile

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Silenoz
September 29th, 2017, 01:06 PM
I was wondering how they were gonna deal with this. Stupid Big Sky. Montana has 3 rivals and most teams barely have 1

jadmt
September 29th, 2017, 01:29 PM
in all reality Griz-cats is the only true rivalry. While I remember when Idaho was in the mix I don't recall it being like griz-cats.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 29th, 2017, 01:32 PM
I was wondering how they were gonna deal with this. Stupid Big Sky. Montana has 3 rivals and most teams barely have 1We have a rivalry with Idaho and that's it.

We play football against MSU and EWU

Preferred Walk-On
September 29th, 2017, 01:43 PM
Do you have to play EVERY year in a rivalry? Plenty of teams kept rivalries going even after then went to different conferences or even levels, they just keep the meetings to 3-4 a decade.

What would be the ramifications (if any) to each team having THREE protected games per year, leaving 5 for a rotational distribution? Asking for a friend.

mvemjsunpx
September 29th, 2017, 02:40 PM
I get all of that. Missoula is half as far from us as Portland. PSU is no more our rival than the Bengals are to Idaho. There's no perfect fit, but in-state rivals should be a consideration. Idaho gets what it wants as the newcomer, Montana gets what it wants. We get screwed in the deal.

I'll quit whining now. :D

At least EWU/PSU has the Dam Cup. I don't believe UI/ISU has anything similar.

wapiti
September 29th, 2017, 02:56 PM
in all reality Griz-cats is the only true rivalry. While I remember when Idaho was in the mix I don't recall it being like griz-cats.

The griz do have a rivalry with EWU and used too with Idaho. I see their rivalry with Idaho easily being restarted. But neither of them compare to the rivalry of Cat-Griz.
The Cat-griz is probably one of the top 5 rivalries in all of football. One is hard pressed to find other rivalries that rival Cat-griz.

As an example of how intense the cat-griz is, is how we argue about the order of teams when saying cat-griz. When the Cats are mentioned first the name flows smoothly and naturally, but when griz is mentioned first it is clumsy and awkward and just does not flow very well. So the correct and best way to say it is: Cat-griz. xnodx :D xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
September 29th, 2017, 03:06 PM
Basically Montana is the only one this benefits...once again showing that the BigSky is a ****ing **** show and mess of a conference..waaay to big.

MSU gets screwed, theyre going to have a fake rival as their 2nd rival.

EWU realllly gets screwed, not only for the fans but monetarily.....the Montana game was by far their biggest draw every year...so this also hits them in their pocket books.

Im too young to remember IDaho being a rival...I always considered EWU as a rival since they are the only team since I've been alive that has given Montana consistent title fights, well up until recently lol. I am excited for the new Idaho rivalry tho...just unfamiliar.

I do remember Idaho as the 2nd biggest rival and it was as good or better than what we have had with EWU which has grown over the last 20 yrs. for sure and it is a really good rivalry now and I don't want to see this go away but I can assure you UM/Idaho has a pretty big potential to be great games just like the EWU/Montana serios hs been the last 15 years or so. I had mentioned that this was probably gonna happen I thought back when it was announced but a few said it was unlikely if I remember correctly but I don't see how it would have went any other way.

I do think & hope EWU and Montana will find a way to make a series happen going forward. Just too good to not work something out for both schools.

I think there are going to be some realy great games, recruiting battles, and so forth coming out of all this going forward.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 29th, 2017, 03:09 PM

No, it was never like Griz-Cats but it was a clear cut 2nd and even with UNR and Boise it was Idaho with some truly great games amoung all the teams. Idaho game usually more meaning.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 29th, 2017, 03:12 PM
The griz do have a rivalry with EWU and used too with Idaho. I see their rivalry with Idaho easily being restarted. But neither of them compare to the rivalry of Cat-Griz.
The Cat-griz is probably one of the top 5 rivalries in all of football. One is hard pressed to find other rivalries that rival Cat-griz.

As an example of how intense the cat-griz is, is how we argue about the order of teams when saying cat-griz. When the Cats are mentioned first the name flows smoothly and naturally, but when griz is mentioned first it is clumsy and awkward and just does not flow very well. So the correct and best way to say it is: Cat-griz. xnodx :D xthumbsupx

You ALWAYS say the team with the most wins first. Montana is 77-38 against the cats. Its the Griz cat game

ursus arctos horribilis
September 29th, 2017, 03:13 PM

No, it doesn't/isn't.

But you have the fist part of the post sopt on.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 29th, 2017, 03:22 PM
For there to be a rivalry between teams like Montana and Ewu there has to be fan support. Idaho has fans that travel and they most definitely will for the Montana rivalry.

Ewu has like 17 fans and dont get me wrong they look good filing this place up.......BUT
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/4789314.jpg

Idaho will bring 3-4k to games at WGS and I am pretty sure that is more attendance than Ewu does at home all season.

P.S. I couldnt find any pictures of Woodward Field online but this is one I took about 12 mins before the Northern Colorado game 3 years ago. You can see the pregame at Ewu is very strong.

bobcathpdevil56
September 29th, 2017, 03:43 PM
For there to be a rivalry between teams like Montana and Ewu there has to be fan support. Idaho has fans that travel and they most definitely will for the Montana rivalry.

Ewu has like 17 fans and dont get me wrong they look good filing this place up.......BUT

Idaho will bring 3-4k to games at WGS and I am pretty sure that is more attendance than Ewu does at home all season.

P.S. I couldnt find any pictures of Woodward Field online but this is one I took about 12 mins before the Northern Colorado game 3 years ago. You can see the pregame at Ewu is very strong.

That was too mean Alpha

kalm
September 29th, 2017, 04:39 PM
At least EWU/PSU has the Dam Cup. I don't believe UI/ISU has anything similar.

Contrived and meaningless to both fan bases...Nobody gives a dam.

At the very least they could have figured out a way to have Montana make the return trip in 2019.

kalm
September 29th, 2017, 04:40 PM
We have a rivalry with Idaho and that's it.

We play football against MSU and EWU

Do ya

Grizalltheway
September 29th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Contrived and meaningless to both fan bases...Nobody gives a dam.

At the very least they could have figured out a way to have Montana make the return trip in 2019.

Isn't basically every game meaningless to the PSU "fan base"? xeyebrowx

Sorry Jalmond

cx500d
September 29th, 2017, 05:07 PM

If only the field truly was green! Track = #NotaStadium

veinup
September 29th, 2017, 06:00 PM
to be honest the rivalry we have with EWU has meant more to me in recent times than our rivalry with the bobcats. for a decade+ UM/EWU has been the conference game i look forward to and want us to win the most. i'd rather we beat Eastern than MSU. i realize this opinion probably isn't shared by many in GRIZ NATION, but i'll genuinely miss seeing the eagles every year. great program. lots of great battles. it will be missed.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 29th, 2017, 06:33 PM
to be honest the rivalry we have with EWU has meant more to me in recent times than our rivalry with the bobcats. for a decade+ UM/EWU has been the conference game i look forward to and want us to win the most. i'd rather we beat Eastern than MSU. i realize this opinion probably isn't shared by many in GRIZ NATION, but i'll genuinely miss seeing the eagles every year. great program. lots of great battles. it will be missed.

I agree with everything except that it means more. Not even close to me in spite of the fact that at many times the levels of the two were much closer and near the top of the division.

The only way beating EWU would ever mean more to me is maybe in a season where the game were for the NC or to advance to us to the NC and we won said NC.

MTfan4life
September 30th, 2017, 09:50 AM

Considering Eastern has done so well for the last decade or so, I figured it was an appropriate place to make a joke about their inclusion. I didn't realize jokes were crowing. I don't play for Montana, nor do I work for their staff, so I'm perfectly fine making jokes against just about everyone. The whole idea that you can't make certain comments about other teams if your team isn't performing well is just laughable to me. Especially when it's quite clear all seriousness has been thrown out the window. I'll try to be more aware of sensitivity next time, though. xthumbsupx

MTfan4life
September 30th, 2017, 10:04 AM

I'll agree with ursus on this one. Sure, the games with EWU have meant a little more towards the conference title race the last 10-15 seasons, but the games don't mean more to me. If I grew up in Cheney as a Griz fan, I could see that being the case. Rivalries to me are all about who you are around. My hometown was full of Bobcat fans, so it was pretty easy to see them as a rival. As a fan, it's fun when Montana beats EWU, as rare as that happens anymore, but it doesn't come close to the Montana/Montana State game when it goes in Montana's favor. Unless the loser goes on to have great success in the playoffs or even win the title, that's the game that basically gets talked about among friends for the next 9, if not 12, months. Of course this all is based on my having grown up in Montana.

veinup
September 30th, 2017, 10:19 AM
I'll agree with ursus on this one. Sure, the games with EWU have meant a little more towards the conference title race the last 10-15 seasons, but the games don't mean more to me. If I grew up in Cheney as a Griz fan, I could see that being the case. Rivalries to me are all about who you are around. My hometown was full of Bobcat fans, so it was pretty easy to see them as a rival. As a fan, it's fun when Montana beats EWU, as rare as that happens anymore, but it doesn't come close to the Montana/Montana State game when it goes in Montana's favor. Unless the loser goes on to have great success in the playoffs or even win the title, that's the game that basically gets talked about among friends for the next 9, if not 12, months. Of course this all is based on my having grown up in Montana.

i grew up in montana but was never friends with any bobcat fans, so there was nothing to discuss. xpeacex

ursus arctos horribilis
September 30th, 2017, 02:46 PM
i grew up in montana but was never friends with any bobcat fans, so there was nothing to discuss. xpeacex

xlolx

Meant to be funny or not, it was.

ALPHAGRIZ1
September 30th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Even my cat friends know their place..............

Rjones61
September 30th, 2017, 04:57 PM
I'm sure that Montana is relieved. Not being cocky, but EWU has been in conference running year in and year out for a while now and it takes a likely loss of their schedule while they continue to rebuild their team. With their facilities, I just can't see Montana too far off from being a great program again, they just need to find a good and consistent coach!

Sad day for EWU. We will miss that guaranteed $ when they come to town every other year.

kalm
September 30th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Considering Eastern has done so well for the last decade or so, I figured it was an appropriate place to make a joke about their inclusion. I didn't realize jokes were crowing. I don't play for Montana, nor do I work for their staff, so I'm perfectly fine making jokes against just about everyone. The whole idea that you can't make certain comments about other teams if your team isn't performing well is just laughable to me. Especially when it's quite clear all seriousness has been thrown out the window. I'll try to be more aware of sensitivity next time, though. xthumbsupx

IRB,

I guarantee his first post was made with tongue firmly in cheek. That doesn't always come through on message boards where smack goes back and forth between people who know each other and have history.

Let's not slip into the fragile flower trap of some NDSU and SHSU fans who are still insecure despite their program's tremendous success.

Us Eags are better than that.

Rjones61
September 30th, 2017, 09:40 PM

I spent half my life in Montana. I am the only one in my family not to go to University of Montana. Needless to say, the rivalry is very important to me (and I've made a lot of money these last seven years on bets).

I am an anomaly though. This was inevitable with Idaho coming back to the Big Sky.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 30th, 2017, 10:37 PM
I'm sure that Montana is relieved. Not being cocky, but EWU has been in conference running year in and year out for a while now and it takes a likely loss of their schedule while they continue to rebuild their team. With their facilities, I just can't see Montana too far off from being a great program again, they just need to find a good and consistent coach!

Sad day for EWU. We will miss that guaranteed $ when they come to town every other year.

You have a bit of a streak right now but we really didn't sweat too much dude and nobody gave a rat's ass about ducking EWU. We've split the last 12 or something like that and that is as good as it's ever been for EWU but it is not and never was a school we didn't look forward to playing. We don't need EWU as much as you need us and you know it.

That does not mean I am happy we won't be playing every year.

Rjones61
September 30th, 2017, 11:35 PM
You have a bit of a streak right now but we really didn't sweat too much dude and nobody gave a rat's ass about ducking EWU. We've split the last 12 or something like that and that is as good as it's ever been for EWU but it is not and never was a school we didn't look forward to playing. We don't need EWU as much as you need us and you know it.

That does not mean I am happy we won't be playing every year.

Yeah, you're probably right. I meant mostly for playoff contentions. Montana has been a bubble team for several years. Having to play EWU year in and year our hot streak (yeah, I do realize it's just a streak and will come to an end) can't have helped them while on the bubble. They are still on the bubble and playoffs are the first step's to reaching former glory.

I was mistaken in saying "a relief", as many Griz enjoy the rivalry. I more meant it might be a better outlook for Montana's rebuild.

Silenoz
September 30th, 2017, 11:52 PM
I'm sure the ADs are working on actively making sure we do an OOC game every year we don't play, so I think this is all gonna be for moot. And I don't give a **** about winning the Big Sky, seed is all that matters

ursus arctos horribilis
October 1st, 2017, 12:57 AM
Yeah, you're probably right. I meant mostly for playoff contentions. Montana has been a bubble team for several years. Having to play EWU year in and year our hot streak (yeah, I do realize it's just a streak and will come to an end) can't have helped them while on the bubble. They are still on the bubble and playoffs are the first step's to reaching former glory.

I was mistaken in saying "a relief", as many Griz enjoy the rivalry. I more meant it might be a better outlook for Montana's rebuild.

That makes sense in that regard. Think about this though, this is about the worst period of football for the Griz in about 30 years and we are still a bubble team, and we can not f'n stand it being this bad.

I'd rather play you every year and take our chances cuz we will dig out of this slump...but, I am pretty sure the schools will find a way to make it happen frequntly as it is.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 1st, 2017, 01:00 AM
I'm sure the ADs are working on actively making sure we do an OOC game every year we don't play, so I think this is all gonna be for moot. And I don't give a **** about winning the Big Sky, seed is all that matters

I'm not gonna lie, I quit caring about winning BSC championships in comparison to playoffs many years ago. But I still like them....in that they are a close relative to a seed and can put us in quick contact with it.

frozennorth
October 1st, 2017, 03:19 AM
I'm not gonna lie, I quit caring about winning BSC championships in comparison to playoffs many years ago. But I still like them....in that they are a close relative to a seed and can put us in quick contact with it.
Find a new conference

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 1st, 2017, 12:49 PM
Should we

cx500d
October 1st, 2017, 12:52 PM
Should we

We'll trade Fnhawks for the griz anyday

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 1st, 2017, 01:50 PM
We would be another Missouri State in that conference but at least I would get to watch my team get asspounded by good teams instead of Ewu, Sac St and Cal Poly