PDA

View Full Version : RIP Richard McClellan aka Catamount Man

OL FU
September 24th, 2017, 08:52 AM
I realize he could be a little tough to deal with occasionally, but honestly if you knew him, he was really a nice likeable person. I will miss Richard.

From his sister

"My only sibling passed away yesterday at age 42 of a massive heart attack. He was someone who loved life, who never met a stranger, who had friends from all over the place - even if he never met them in person, just online. His loss comes only 18 months after we lost our mother. To say that my dad and I are devastated is a massive understatement."

https://www.gofundme.com/richard-mcclellans-funeral-fund

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Oh no...

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2017, 09:45 AM
No way. I am sorry to hear this. We should move this to the FCS board so everyone can see it.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 24th, 2017, 10:07 AM
AGS is a little darker place now. xsmhx

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2017, 10:23 AM
His Lou Holtz impression was the best also.

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Very sad news. Way way too young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

citdog
September 24th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Richard was a friend and I don't have many. Very sad news.

AshevilleApp2
September 24th, 2017, 11:16 AM
He'll be missed. RIP.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2017, 12:20 PM
Damn it man. I've talked with him many times over the last month in pm's and emails and he was a very good friend of mine. I'm truly heartbroken that we have lost this guy.

We were much better with him than we will be without him.xbawlingx

citdog
September 24th, 2017, 12:26 PM
The first time I met Richard was at a tailgate in Cullowhee for a WCU vs The Citadel game. My WCU family members were with me and so was my Mom. We were on our best behavior but snuck away to shotgun whatever swill beer, Richard liked **** beer, he had. He was a hell of a nice guy. In his honor....

GO CATS!!!!!

cx500d
September 24th, 2017, 12:33 PM
Damn....He just got back on after his recent "hiatus."

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Damn....He just got back on after his recent "hiatus."

Yeah, and he had just sent a pm when he did get access again that had asked if I would shut down all other boards for him except FCS Discussion because he didn't want to be involved that sort fo thing anymore and only wanted to discuss FCS and didn't feel he could stop himself from going over to the other boards....

I told him I would but that I was gonna be really busy until after the poll came out Monday and would get to it Tuesday. **** man, I just can't believe this **** in 2017.

TheRevSFA
September 24th, 2017, 01:29 PM
This has just broken my heart

RIP Richard.

UAH can we put up the AGS tag he was asking about? I imagine Cit or FU can come up with something fitting

BEAR
September 24th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Condolences to his family. I enjoyed his banter on here. Too young. Just too young. xsmhx I get his desire to not post anywhere but the FCS board. Just too much mental stress sometimes...Prayers.

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Reading the comments on the Go Fund Me page is just hurting. I never knew him personally, but the support he has from those on here and over there, a part of the family is gone that will not be replaced. This is just a hard day for AGS. Here's to you Catamount!

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2017, 04:06 PM
This has just broken my heart

RIP Richard.

UAH can we put up the AGS tag he was asking about? I imagine Cit or FU can come up with something fitting

I don't know if I know what you are referring to? Can you pm and refresh my memory or enlighten me on what this was?

TheRevSFA
September 24th, 2017, 04:58 PM
I don't know if I know what you are referring to? Can you pm and refresh my memory or enlighten me on what this was?

He was over 7K posts. He asked me to set up his AGS moniker but I referred him to you

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2017, 05:10 PM
He was over 7K posts. He asked me to set up his AGS moniker but I referred him to you

Well, he never did. Why don't you pm me what he said he wanted if he sent it to you then.

POD Knows
September 24th, 2017, 05:13 PM
I didn't know him and our short time "bantering" on this board was not good but I believe that based on the comments of the people that knew him that he was a really decent guy and this is a big loss for his family and the people that knew and loved him. Forty two is way to young to die, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and his friends.

Panther88
September 24th, 2017, 05:47 PM
Really saddened to read this. He sent me a few PMs during his last visit and this is a snippet of one. Trip thing is I told him he never ever said anything offensive towards me and I kept reiterating that to him while he constantly apologized. His moral and humanly compass were situated correctly, imho. My sincerest condolences to his family & friends.

"From catamount man" (Mr Richard)

. Just....unreal. Man, sorry if I ever offended you. I want to

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2017, 06:19 PM
I didn't know him and our short time "bantering" on this board was not good but I believe that based on the comments of the people that knew him that he was a really decent guy and this is a big loss for his family and the people that knew and loved him. Forty two is way to young to die, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and his friends.

He sent me some messages on our other board when he was kicked for a bit here that specifically mentioned you Bison guys from that night and I will share them with you because it will show you how god his metaphorical heart was in spite of the failure of his real one.

I am leaving some of it out as it was his personal stuff but I left in what his sentiments towards you guys and AGS were as well as one little bit that helps explain where this decent man was at with his mental state and some of it's causes etc..

Pm Titled: I am sorry for Friday

I am not asking for you to remove my ban as I know 100 percent I went too far.

I just cannot seem to find my way to fit in anywhere and I put on one hell of a front. I've tried to get counseling but some **** always happens. these hospital bills from my appendectomy in '15 have me bummed and now I have more med bills due to my ER visit 7/15/17 and I may have to have a colonoscopy.

I feel like **** man. I just wanted you to know and please post something on AGS just letting the folks know I am trying to deal with this. please let THE CATS know I was just b'sing on the "western sucks" stuff. I was drunk, angry at the world and depressed all at the same time. I stayed away from the get together because I felt like such ****. Give my best again to the NDSU dudes and if you can, delete ALL those threads and the 2 I started on here. I'm gonna stay off both for a while trying to regain some sanity. Thanks Troy and hope your family is doing well.

Peace, Richard

The Cats, I do not remember if I had even passed along this information but if I did not I am sorry I missed an opportunity to do something on our friends behalf there.

as citdog said...GO CATS!

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Really saddened to read this. He sent me a few PMs during his last visit and this is a snippet of one. Trip thing is I told him he never ever said anything offensive towards me and I kept reiterating that to him while he constantly apologized. His moral and humanly compass were situated correctly, imho. My sincerest condolences to his family & friends.

Richard did what a man does and he actually reached out to others if he thought his antics were going to be taken the wrong way. He had board beefs like anyone does but he didn't act like a bitch about it and send nasty pm's or neg rep and so forth he reached out and tried to fix it after a certain point of having some fun.

Nuch like you and one of my good NDSU friends did a couple months back.xthumbsupx

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 24th, 2017, 06:37 PM
RIP

42 is too young for a heart attack. Prayers to his family.

OL FU
September 24th, 2017, 07:11 PM
Maybe his moniker should be. "Forgive my faults because I love you guys! And GO CATS". Honestly right now I have tears in my eyes.

dungeonjoe
September 24th, 2017, 07:13 PM
I am sadden by this; we had our share of conversations over the years about things more than football--of faith and life. I notice the funeral/memorial is this Wednesday, btw...In Clemson!!
I would like to think he was helping that Catamount defense Saturday night as that final pass and play sealed the Cat victory!

Richard, may you find the peace that surpasses all understanding that so often seemed to elude you in life.

I realize he could be a little tough to deal with occasionally, but honestly if you knew him, he was really a nice likeable person. I will miss Richard.

From his sister

"My only sibling passed away yesterday at age 42 of a massive heart attack. He was someone who loved life, who never met a stranger, who had friends from all over the place - even if he never met them in person, just online. His loss comes only 18 months after we lost our mother. To say that my dad and I are devastated is a massive understatement."

OL FU
September 24th, 2017, 07:15 PM
But the great thing is they are half way to the goal of the cost of the funeral. Thanks to all that helped

citdog
September 24th, 2017, 07:21 PM
I am sadden by this; we had our share of conversations over the years about things more than football--of faith and life. I notice the funeral/memorial is this Wednesday, btw...In Clemson!!
I would like to think he was helping that Catamount defense Saturday night as that final pass and play sealed the Cat victory!

Richard, may you find the peace that surpasses all understanding that so often seemed to elude you in life.

You spelled klempsin wrong and made me tear up

OL FU
September 24th, 2017, 07:26 PM

Thanks Joe! We need to get together again soon! Not sure where you are now but we should make the effort

dungeonjoe
September 24th, 2017, 07:39 PM
I moved to Sumter earlier this summer.

walliver
September 24th, 2017, 07:42 PM
Very sad.

I never met him, the Upstate gathering have always fallen on bad dates for me, but always sensed that he was struggling with life. I hope he has found the peace he never found in this life.

- - - Updated - - -

You left the "P" out of Sumptah.

OL FU
September 24th, 2017, 07:51 PM

Yes I follow you on facebook just couldn't remember. When you go to sparkle city let me know . Would love to say hello.

TheRevSFA
September 24th, 2017, 09:15 PM
Well, he never did. Why don't you pm me what he said he wanted if he sent it to you then.

He never told me.

ElCid
September 24th, 2017, 10:33 PM
Well this sucks. I met him last year at the upstate gathering and we went to The Citadel/WCU game together last year. He was nice man and I regret not having seen him more. RIP.

BisonTru
September 24th, 2017, 11:11 PM
Wow, that's way too young.

I really enjoyed his postings. He was certainly unpredictable and entertaining. RIP.

bonarae
September 25th, 2017, 02:02 AM
Wow. Way too young. RIP

ASUG8
September 25th, 2017, 07:07 AM
Rich was really a good man and I enjoyed hanging out with him from time to time. He had some demons and some hard times but never seemed like it when I was with him in person. He had an encyclopedic memory about FCS and was a jolly guy to share a meal and a beverage. He'll be missed - seeing someone this young pass makes you question a lot of things and wonder what your own legacy will be when the day comes. He caught a lot of grief on here and cs, some of it self inflicted but I hope you guys understand that he was a guy that would literally give the shirt off his back to a person who needed it. Godspeed Rich.

The Cats
September 25th, 2017, 08:26 AM
I just learned today that Western Carolina lost one of its most fanatical supporters on September 22 of a massive heart attack. I know many of you knew Richard McClelllan, as he was an avid poster on AGS, Richard was only 42.

There is a go fund me page set up by his sister for his funeral arrangements, if you care to contribute, please do. I don't know the final arrangements, I'll post when I find out.

Richard McClellan's Funeral Fund (https://www.gofundme.com/richard-mcclellans-funeral-fund)

The Pud
September 25th, 2017, 08:35 AM
My sincere condolences to his family for their loss. My they find peace and happiness in the memories shared. RIP

BEAR
September 25th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Thanks for posting this in the FCS board. As fans we may have differences of opinions about our teams, but behind the nicknames and anonymity are real people dealing with more than most of us could handle. Glad to have had the chance to cross paths with guys like him even if it was only on this board. Rest in peace brother...and in his honor....GO CATS!

http://alumni.wcu.edu/s/781/images/editor/other/cat_poster.jpg

OL FU
September 25th, 2017, 08:41 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?196338-Catamount-Man

I probably should have posted on the FCS board. I am too much of a rule follower.

Just didn't want you to think that we weren't thinking about Catamount Man. Perhaps the mods should combine the threads and put it in whichever board they think is appropriate. '

Go CATS!

OL FU
September 25th, 2017, 08:43 AM
arrangements are as follows: Receiving Friends, Tuesday night 6-8 at Liberty Mortuary (30 N Palmetto St, Liberty SC). Funeral Mass, Wednesday 2pm, St Andrew Catholic Church, Edgewood Avenue, Clemson SC

BisonBacker
September 25th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Condolences to his family and friends. 42 is way to young to leave this world!

Daytripper
September 25th, 2017, 09:16 AM
RIP....

Gil Dobie
September 25th, 2017, 09:23 AM
RIP big guy!

ETSUfan1
September 25th, 2017, 09:30 AM
So sad to hear this.

ST_Lawson
September 25th, 2017, 09:31 AM
It's not the best recording, but it's the sentiment that counts. The Marching Leathernecks play this after every show/performance, once the football team has left the field and the fans have left.
We play it for each other. We play it for our friends. We play it for our family.

From one Western fan to another, this one's for you, Catamount Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibUAQ9UVuhc

DirtyDukes
September 25th, 2017, 09:34 AM
Terrible news. RIP Catamount Man.

Bison56
September 25th, 2017, 09:57 AM
So sad, RIP

Silenoz
September 25th, 2017, 10:01 AM
Sad. Two longtime members of the community in the past year now.

Hopefully he found some some sort of peace by the end there

SU DOG
September 25th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Always liked to read his posts, TERRIBLE news. Condolences to his immediate family, and to all the Catamounts. What an early age for this tragedy to happen. Reminds us all that there are greater things on this earth to contemplate than even our beloved football. RIP Catamount Man.

JHWCUGrad07
September 25th, 2017, 10:24 AM
RIP Richard! Terrible news, 42 is way too young to leave this planet.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 25th, 2017, 10:32 AM
I agree. Condolences and prayers go out to him and his family. May you rest in peace Richard (catamount man).

Serpentor
September 25th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Damn, looks like he last posted here just four days ago, too. What a shame.

Redbird007
September 25th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Only 42 years old? That is awful. Prayers to his family and friends and may he rest in peace.

Schism55
September 25th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Far too young, damnit. My thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends. Hope they can find peace in happy memories of him.
Rest well good sir.

UpstateBison
September 25th, 2017, 12:05 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Richard last year at the upstate AGS gathering. Very nice guy and I am saddened to hear this news. RIP. Go Cats!

The Older Gentleman
September 25th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Catamount Nation will miss him greatly. RIP Richard.

Grizalltheway
September 25th, 2017, 02:07 PM
RIP big guy. :(

TheValleyRaider
September 25th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Just awful news. I rarely interacted with him, but he always came off as a good guy, and the comments already posted here make that clearer. One of those characters that's made this such a fun and interesting place to hang out. He will be very missed.

chattownmocs
September 25th, 2017, 05:50 PM
Hate to hear that. Condolences all around.

gofurman
September 25th, 2017, 06:21 PM

Joe. My family is from Sumter.

I went to Trinity United Methodist there for 18 years until moving to Greenville. Send me a PM.

GoFurman

citdog
September 25th, 2017, 06:50 PM
AGS the family is about 2,000 bucks away from being able to bury this good man. If you are able pitch in. DO!

The Cats
September 25th, 2017, 07:40 PM
Richard had a heart of gold, and was always a pleasure to be around. However, his bouts of depression seemed to affect him more and more these last few years.... We were supposed to meet for the Davidson game in Cullowhee, but his father had surgery and Richard couldn't make it, my heart's been broken all day today. We all loved his passion for Western Carolina.....

and as Richard would say......
Go Cats

cx500d
September 25th, 2017, 08:18 PM
AGS the family is about 2,000 bucks away from being able to bury this good man. If you are able pitch in. DO!

Done. I hope it helps.

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2017, 08:34 PM
It's hard losing a long time member of this amazing community. I never had the pleasure. Hope things are better now, Richard.

Catamount87
September 25th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Richard had a heart of gold, and was always a pleasure to be around. However, his bouts of depression seemed to affect him more and more these last few years.... We were supposed to meet for the Davidson game in Cullowhee, but his father had surgery and Richard couldn't make it, my heart's been broken all day today. We all loved his passion for Western Carolina.....

and as Richard would say......
Go Cats

I finally got to my email this evening after being in Cullowhee all weekend. I saw the news there. Damn, just damn. Richard was a good guy and those depression demons were a lot to bear. I hadn't seen him in a couple of years but we'd traded emails and PMs up until early summer I guess. We had talked about having beers before the Davidson game but I never heard from him to confirm. Kicking myself for not reaching out to him sooner.

RIP Richard.

citdog
September 25th, 2017, 09:19 PM
2100 bucks away.

Go...gate
September 26th, 2017, 12:52 AM
Very sorry to learn of this. Always a good poster.

Condolences to his family.

WileECoyote06
September 26th, 2017, 03:17 AM
Gone too soon. My condolences to his family, friends and anyone enduring this loss.

walliver
September 26th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Apparently he had no life insurance or money saved for his final expenses (few 42 year olds do), so his family has been hit with a significant burden. His family does seem to have minimized funeral costs, and the Go-Fund-Me link in the original post is well worth a donation.

The Cats
September 26th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Apparently he had no life insurance or money saved for his final expenses (few 42 year olds do), so his family has been hit with a significant burden. His family does seem to have minimized funeral costs, and the Go-Fund-Me link in the original post is well worth a donation.

Thanks walliver, Richard was a great guy and worthy of our help if we can assist his family.

This is AGS family helping out one of our own. Thanks for any amount you can provide. I know Richard would not want this burden for his family.

Here's a link to the go fund me page https://www.gofundme.com/richard-mcclellans-funeral-fund (https://www.gofundme.com/richard-mcclellans-funeral-fund)

as Richard would say...

Go Cats

dbackjon
September 26th, 2017, 11:22 AM

Yes - please do. The family will be so appreciative. Even if it is just $20, every bit helps

RabidRabbit
September 26th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Always a tough loss when one of the over 7K members here is lost. We will miss his active participation. And yeah, 42 is way to ******ing young. Richard has been an active member here since 2003. Glad to assist, and encourage others to do so also.

DirtyDukes
September 26th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Just gave $20. Can't believe it. 42? So important to get checked up yearly, guys. He wasn't even that big of a guy from the looks of it.

walliver
September 26th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Just gave $20. Can't believe it. 42? So important to get checked up yearly, guys. He wasn't even that big of a guy from the looks of it.

Unfortunately, the first symptom of heart disease is often sudden death.

ST_Lawson
September 26th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Unfortunately, the first symptom of heart disease is often sudden death.

This is true, although if you are at all overweight, smoke, or have a history of heart disease...make sure you're checking with your doctor about it regularly. There are things you can do to minimize the risk.

Despite all the talk of Casey's pizza (or #notapizza), bacon, and other tasty meats that often goes on in the MVFC threads, stuff like that is more of an "occasional treat" for me. I generally eat pretty healthy, I exercise, and I don't smoke. I want all of us to be around discussing and debating FCS football for many many years to come.

This isn't meant to be any sort of knock against Catamount Man. I have no idea what his medical history and lifestyle were like and sometimes this stuff just happens without any warning whatsoever. But there are things you can do to make it less likely to happen to you, and it's a lot easier to do it now than it is to do it after something happens.

Just think of it this way...the healthier you are, the more football games you can go to and the louder you can cheer/yell for your team.

DirtyDukes
September 26th, 2017, 02:56 PM
This is true, although if you are at all overweight, smoke, or have a history of heart disease...make sure you're checking with your doctor about it regularly. There are things you can do to minimize the risk.

Despite all the talk of Casey's pizza (or #notapizza), bacon, and other tasty meats that often goes on in the MVFC threads, stuff like that is more of an "occasional treat" for me. I generally eat pretty healthy, I exercise, and I don't smoke. I want all of us to be around discussing and debating FCS football for many many years to come.

This isn't meant to be any sort of knock against Catamount Man. I have no idea what his medical history and lifestyle were like and sometimes this stuff just happens without any warning whatsoever. But there are things you can do to make it less likely to happen to you, and it's a lot easier to do it now than it is to do it after something happens.

Just think of it this way...the healthier you are, the more football games you can go to and the louder you can cheer/yell for your team.

In other words, what you're saying is I have to stop sneaking the 2nd bottle of crown into Bridgeforth Stadium?

ursus arctos horribilis
September 26th, 2017, 03:52 PM
I see a lot of you guys on here have pitched in with the family and that is damn fine work. Reading the sister's update is pretty good foe soul as well. She mentions the help from his online and football friends and she is humbled by his friends assistance.

DirtyDukes
September 26th, 2017, 03:58 PM
She sent me the nicest message saying thanks - it really touched me. I encourage anyone to give her any help they can.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 26th, 2017, 04:09 PM
She sent me the nicest message saying thanks - it really touched me. I encourage anyone to give her any help they can.

Same here dude. It was very sweet of her and felt so good to have helped them out in some way right now.

cx500d
September 26th, 2017, 04:18 PM

Nice message to me as well.

DirtyDukes
September 26th, 2017, 07:16 PM
Nice message to me as well.

I'm considering seeing where they are in a couple of days and trying to help make up the difference. It pains me to see that they just lost their mom now Richard too.

TheRevSFA
September 26th, 2017, 07:29 PM
I donated

also one of my colleagues is a Catamount and I believe he's throwing in too

Godspeed Richard.

The Cats
September 26th, 2017, 07:34 PM
I see a lot of you guys on here have pitched in with the family and that is damn fine work. Reading the sister's update is pretty good foe soul as well. She mentions the help from his online and football friends and she is humbled by his friends assistance.

Thanks ursus for allowing this thread to remain on the "football" board, I know that Richard is thanking you as well.

It gives me a good feeling to see the outpouring of kind words, and help for Richard's family from the AGS family in this time of their sorrow.

I just wish I'd done more for Richard while he was still with us.

OL FU
September 26th, 2017, 07:43 PM
I would like to say how much I appreciate everyone's help. We all do what we can do. And it is all sincerely appreciated by those of us that considered Richard a friend. Thanks to all of you!

GoldandBlack
September 26th, 2017, 07:44 PM
I've been off the board for a couple of years- family illness, busy- everyone knows the litany.

Unfortunately, Richard's death was the impetus for me to post again.

I was honored to call him a friend. While he struggled with bouts of depression, he was always looking for the best opportunity to pull his way back out and move forward.
He was truly a kind soul, and was sincere in his love for AGS, FCS, his 'Cats, and the people who had the opportunity to know him.

To lose someone Richard's age is crushing. He had plenty of life and experiences left that he was not able to enjoy.

I'll be attending his funeral Mass tomorrow in Clemson to honor his memory. Thank all of you who have generously donated to his family for his funeral expenses. Richard
would have been overwhelmed by the support you have shown.

Thank each of you for your input and donations.

cx500d
September 26th, 2017, 07:44 PM
I just wish I'd done more for Richard while he was still with us.

That’s the way it always goes down. I’m burying a longtime mentor and friend at Arlington national cemetery on thursday, and I have the same thoughts.

OL FU
September 26th, 2017, 07:57 PM
I've been off the board for a couple of years- family illness, busy- everyone knows the litany.

Unfortunately, Richard's death was the impetus for me to post again.

I was honored to call him a friend. While he struggled with bouts of depression, he was always looking for the best opportunity to pull his way back out and move forward.
He was truly a kind soul, and was sincere in his love for AGS, FCS, his 'Cats, and the people who had the opportunity to know him.

To lose someone Richard's age is crushing. He had plenty of life and experiences left that he was not able to enjoy.

I'll be attending his funeral Mass tomorrow in Clemson to honor his memory. Thank all of you who have generously donated to his family for his funeral expenses. Richard
would have been overwhelmed by the support you have shown.

Thank each of you for your input and donations.

I will be there too. I will be the old ugly guy in the dark blue suit. The only older uglier guy will be Goldandblack (no idea the color of his suit). See if you can tell us apart.

Thanks again to all. If you are there please say hi.

GoldandBlack
September 26th, 2017, 08:13 PM
I will be there too. I will be the old ugly guy in the dark blue suit. The only older uglier guy will be Goldandblack (no idea the color of his suit). See if you can tell us apart.

Ditto to saying hi if anyone else from AGS is there. No problem telling us two ugly guys apart- OL FU is the one with the swarm of flies around him....................

TheRevSFA
September 26th, 2017, 08:21 PM

I cant get out of my meeting tomorrow in Nashville or else I'd take my rental car and drive out

but I will be thinking of him tomorrow

citdog
September 26th, 2017, 08:31 PM

Please give my condolences to the family. My cousin will be there as he knew Richard from the Western games.

The Cats
September 26th, 2017, 08:54 PM
I'm overwhelmed by your generosity.

I'm not speaking for the family, I don't have that right, but just for myself. Thank you to every single one of yoy that donated every single cent........ I'm sure Richard's family is overwhelmed.

I just hope Richard is looking down and realizing how many lives he touched......

$6,695 of $5,700 goal

Raised by 83 people in 3 days

------------------
Posted by Richard's sister:

"If I could physically hug every single one of you, I would do so, accompanied by sobs of gratitude and praise. The way that you have honored my brother brings me to my knees..... the two crushed hearts of my father and me will never stop saying thank you.

My brother's visitation (wake) was tonight, and we wrapped it up at 9:00 -- an hour after the original time allotted. The line of visitors snaked through the chapel, the foyer/hallway and into the visiting room. The stories that were told of my brother's laughter, his stories, his crazy antics, his love of football (and sports in general).... in one section of the line, it was practically an LHS reunion and they were all sharing Richard stories.

This was the essence of my brother's life -- always stories, always laughter, and always a crowd. He was a born extrovert. He always had a story to tell as only he could. Nicknames were the rule -- to some he was Catamount Man. To plenty of others, he was Gump. For me and my dad, he will always be Richard. Son to one, baby brother to another.

And he will be so missed. So missed.

TheKingpin28
September 26th, 2017, 09:23 PM
God this breaks my heart reading this. He will be missed around here but I am so damn proud of each and every AGS member who comes to support one of our own! Here's to AGS and Richard!

Go Cats!

ursus arctos horribilis
September 26th, 2017, 09:51 PM
As I say every year after the FPC challenge, it is humbling to see how many good people hang out here and how proud to be a part of this place I truly am.

So glad they made that goal and thanks to all here that pitched in to lend a helping hand to two people that needed a little bit of a lift at this time.

One last thing for Richard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCz-meHTbWs

TheKingpin28
September 26th, 2017, 09:55 PM
As I say every year after the FPC challenge, it is humbling to see how many good people hang out here and how proud to be a part of this place I truly am.

So glad they made that goal and thanks to all here that pitched in to lend a helping hand to two people that needed a little bit of a lift at this time.

One last thing for Richard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCz-meHTbWs

He is probably smiling from ear to ear knowing this is being played.

tomq04
September 26th, 2017, 10:10 PM
Holy smokes guys. Y'all knocked that fund raiser out of the park.

Pat yourself on the back knowing AGS did the bulk of that lift.

ASUG8
September 27th, 2017, 07:29 AM
I couldn't make the funeral today, but made it to the receiving last night and met his father and sister. To say that she was overwhelmed with the AGS support would be an understatement. I know you guys aren't looking for a pat on the back during this difficult time, but you guys really stepped up to the plate in supporting a longtime members' family in a time of need. I salute all of you who provided kind wishes and contributed to his funeral fund - you're the best.

Daytripper
September 27th, 2017, 08:41 AM
One generous soul anonymously donated $2000....amazing.

cx500d
September 27th, 2017, 09:00 AM

That is amazing and very generous.

ST_Lawson
September 27th, 2017, 09:01 AM

Wow. I don't know if that person was someone around these parts or someone more local who knew him IRL, but whomever you are who did that, you are awesome.

The Cats
September 27th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Posted by Annette McClellan (https://www.gofundme.com/mvc.php?route=person_profile/byFid&f=nplmSYzy4qatjTTRI4GFDWGFRF2MZZmmaZjfepb5K%2B8%3D ) (Richard's sister - posted on the go fund me page)

When you're running around like crazy and trying to remember all you wanted to do ..... it hit me that I forgot something at Richard's visitation last night: a memory book. I even had it ready to bring with me and......

So I had a different idea: I've set up an email address for people to share their memories of Richard. Hearing people come through and say it was like a reunion..... and seeing all of "Mama's Boys (and Girls)" was priceless.

It's good to remember..... remembering shouldn't merely be recalling what once happened but telling it so that it is a present moment. The event becomes alive all over again.

So please send any memories you have -- as often as you want -- to [email protected] ..... I will share them with Dad and enjoy hearing about my brother and his wonderful life for a long time to come.

And again, bless every single one of you for all you have done.

Catbooster
September 27th, 2017, 11:39 AM
It's very gratifying to see that members of this board (and many other people) were able to remove some worries and provide support for the family at a time like this.

RIP CataMount Man

ursus arctos horribilis
September 27th, 2017, 11:58 AM
It's very gratifying to see that members of this board (and many other people) were able to remove some worries and provide support for the family at a time like this.

RIP CataMount Man

Yep, turns out Richard did have life insurance. He had friends.

clenz
September 27th, 2017, 12:33 PM
I hope he finds the peace in whatever exists in the afterlife that he couldn't seem to find here.

My thoughts are with his family and friends for losing a loved one.

longtimemocfan
September 30th, 2017, 12:33 AM
Had some conversations on here with him. Big WCU fan for sure. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

ngineer
October 1st, 2017, 12:18 AM
RIP Richard. Way too young.

Seahawks Fan
October 1st, 2017, 10:40 AM
Sad news. My sincerest condolences to the family.

caribbeanhen
October 1st, 2017, 02:27 PM
RIP Richard

WCU LawCat
October 1st, 2017, 09:19 PM
I knew Richard...been to his home...had not seen him in a couple of years. Very sad. Rest in peace Richard...you can now shed all of those burdens you carried for so long.

dungeonjoe
October 7th, 2017, 07:39 PM
I found myself thinking of Richard a few times during the game today.

Appaholic
July 30th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Wow. This sucks. Richard was such a good guy. One of the first people to reach out to me when I was going through my **** 7 yrs ago. I feel inadequate as I couldn't seem to reciprocate by easing his burden with depression. I guess he gave so much of his heart to others, he didn't leave enough for himself. Godspeed C-Man!

Southern Bison
July 30th, 2018, 05:49 PM
Wow. This sucks. Richard was such a good guy. One of the first people to reach out to me when I was going through my **** 7 yrs ago. I feel inadequate as I couldn't seem to reciprocate by easing his burden with depression. I guess he gave so much of his heart to others, he didn't leave enough for himself. Godspeed C-Man!Come down to the AGS meetup on Aug. 18th in Greenville, SC. There's a thread with the details.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Appaholic
July 30th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Come down to the AGS meetup on Aug. 18th in Greenville, SC. There's a thread with the details.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the invite....I'd love too! Since I'm an App Fan (FBS unfortunately) and I'm missing my retro copper & gold Griz shirt, I'll just pick me up a WCU shirt in Richard's honor. My wife and I bought a lake lot near Cullowhee and, regardless the crap I used to give C-Man & The Cats, I've always been fond of WCU. I'm now adopting WCU as my FCS team (if The Cats will allow me). I've always admired Coach Waters & I think Coach Spier is doing a good job and he's an App man to boot...

The Cats
July 30th, 2018, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the invite....I'd love too! Since I'm an App Fan (FBS unfortunately) and I'm missing my retro copper & gold Griz shirt, I'll just pick me up a WCU shirt in Richard's honor. My wife and I bought a lake lot near Cullowhee and, regardless the crap I used to give C-Man & The Cats, I've always been fond of WCU. I'm now adopting WCU as my FCS team (if The Cats will allow me). I've always admired Coach Waters & I think Coach Elliot is doing a good job and he's an App man to boot...

Can you become Cataholic?

PS You certainly did hide that "fond of WCU" well....... Richard would welcome you to the Catamount faithful.

OL FU
July 30th, 2018, 07:57 PM
Richard could be a little ticklish on the board. In person he was as good as you could get!!!!!!!!!

OL FU
July 30th, 2018, 08:24 PM
Yep, turns out Richard did have life insurance. He had friends.

Just went back and read all this . It was difficult and yet extremely uplifting. You nailed it with sentiment expressed above.

Appaholic
July 30th, 2018, 09:04 PM
Can you become Cataholic?

PS You certainly did hide that "fond of WCU" well....... Richard would welcome you to the Catamount faithful.

Lol...alot of fond memories from my childhood. I fell in love with NC mtns by visiting my uncle in Asheville. He used to take me camping on Bear Lake which was "out there" to a kid from Greensboro (this is many years before Bear Lake Preserve was built...you could pull up on any beach and camp). One of the enjoyable parts of getting to Bear Lake was going through Cullowhee and driving by Whitmire Stadium. Back then, there was only a Hardees near campus. Since I was a kid who dreamed of playing college ball and loved NC Mtns, it only seemed natural I would want to go to school at Western. I didn't convert to App until my older brother decided to go to school there and I fell in love with Boone visiting him. So yeah, Ive always had a fondness for the 'whee....and their fans...

Panther88
July 31st, 2018, 02:32 PM

Indeed. Very generous for all who donated. :)

I didn't know him personally but our paths crossed @ or around 08/25(?)/2017 @ ~10:51pm CST, here, in this place, when he sent me a pm, that I still have today. There's "fluff" around it but his sincere apology meant a little bit to me, considering what occurred a few weeks post.

...s **** bro! .... Just....unreal. Man, sorry if I ever offended you. I want...

OL FU
July 31st, 2018, 08:06 PM
Indeed. Very generous for all who donated. :)

I didn't know him personally but our paths crossed @ or around 08/25(?)/2017 @ ~10:51pm CST, here, in this place, when he sent me a pm, that I still have today. There's "fluff" around it but his sincere apology meant a little bit to me, considering what occurred a few weeks post.

Richard could be a little much when he drank which was most of the time. But I can gauranty when you were with him in person he was straight up great. I think it is one of the curses of social media. It’s easy to offend at a distance

Seahawks Fan
August 3rd, 2018, 01:26 PM
RIP Catamount Man.