PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 teams in each of the Power 5. Go!

BNATION
September 24th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Rank the top three teams in the power 5 of FCS
MVFC
CAA
Southland
SoCon
Big Sky
okay add in OVC

MVFC-NDSU, SDSU, ILL ST
CAA-JMU, ELON, RICH
SOUTHLAND-SHSU, UCA, SELA
SOCON-WOFF, WCU, CIT
BIG SKY-MONT ST, EWU, MONT
OVC-JSU, UT MART, E ILL

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2017, 08:26 AM
MVFC
CAA
Southland
SoCon
Big Sky
okay add in Big South too.

M- NDSU, SDSU, USD
C- JMU, ?, ? (I haven't finished my poll and don know what to do with Richmond and Villanova)
S- SHSU, SELA, Everyone else?
SC- Wofford, The Citadel, Furman
B- Weber, EWU, ?

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 24th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Valley - NDSU SDSU USD

CAA - JMU UNH Vill

Southland - SHSU UCA McNeese

SoCon - Wofford Citadel WCU

Big Sky - Weber EWU Montana State

Professor Chaos
September 24th, 2017, 08:32 AM
A Power 5 in the FCS doesn't exist. Over the last 5 years it's been a Power 3 (MVFC, CAA, and Big Sky). Last year the SOCON took a big step towards that group. This year the Big Sky looks like it's trying to take a big step back from that group. But if you're going to dump in the SLC and the Big South (xlolx) with that group you should probably include the OVC as well.

Anyway for the big 4 I'd say.

MVFC: NDSU, SDSU, WIU
CAA: JMU, UNH, Albany
Big Sky: EWU, Weber St, Montana St
SOCON: Wofford, The Citadel, WCU

And for the others.

SLC: SHSU, UCA, don't matter
OVC: JSU, UTM, don't matter
Big South: Kennesaw St, CSU, Monmouth

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2017, 08:40 AM
M- NDSU, SDSU, USD
C- JMU, ?, ? (I haven't finished my poll and don know what to do with Richmond and Villanova)
S- SHSU, SELA, Everyone else?
SC- Wofford, The Citadel, Furman
B- Weber, EWU, ?

Whoops. I forgot UCA. I have them in my poll, but they had a bye and haven't done anything of note in 17

BNATION
September 24th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Ill yawn. We never met a big sky or CAA eam we didn't like to beat. Aside from JMU last year. But I digress.

A Power 5 in the FCS doesn't exist. Over the last 5 years it's been a Power 3 (MVFC, CAA, and Big Sky). Last year the SOCON took a big step towards that group. This year the Big Sky looks like it's trying to take a big step back from that group. But if you're going to dump in the SLC and the Big South (xlolx) with that group you should probably include the OVC as well.

Anyway for the big 4 I'd say.

MVFC: NDSU, SDSU, WIU
CAA: JMU, UNH, Albany
Big Sky: EWU, Weber St, Montana St
SOCON: Wofford, The Citadel, WCU

And for the others.

SLC: SHSU, UCA, don't matter
OVC: JSU, UTM, don't matter
Big South: Kennesaw St, CSU, Monmouth

DirtyDukes
September 24th, 2017, 08:53 AM
I'd say for the CAA:
JMU, Elon, Nova

DirtyDukes
September 24th, 2017, 08:54 AM
Ill yawn. We never met a big sky or CAA eam we didn't like to beat. Aside from JMU last year. But I digress.

I think we beat you guys enough for every team in the CAA

Serpentor
September 24th, 2017, 08:59 AM

I knew it! You guys brought in ringers from every team in your conference for that game!

BNATION
September 24th, 2017, 09:03 AM
I will I'll concede that as it was a spanking. But still 2-1 in last 10 years. Big Sky is actually really ugly. 9-1 or something like that in last 10.

Reign of Terrier
September 24th, 2017, 09:04 AM
I honestly don't follow the entire division closely enough to have a good enough answer. Having said that, I think Wofford, Citadel, Furman, Western and Samford are too close to call across the board to narrow it down to three.

tomq04
September 24th, 2017, 09:07 AM
I will I'll concede that as it was a spanking. But still 2-1 in last 10 years. Big Sky is actually really ugly. 9-1 or something like that in last 10.

That was a rough patch on 2012-2013 for the Sky, I think y'alll were 6-0

Serpentor
September 24th, 2017, 09:12 AM

The one year EWU beat us was in a game that completely favored them. We had a new coach, new starting offensive players in several key positions, new offensive and defensive schemes, EWU was playing at home and EWU's quarterback Vernon Adams was a senior and having his best year, and oh yeah, the refs were complete psychopaths and throwing flags on every ticky-tack violation against us they could while only throwing one flag against EWU the whole game. That we actually managed to score 5 TDs in that game was a miracle, all things considered.

EWU was a good team, and they almost came back to beat us in 2012 (that's how good a QB Adams was), so no egg on their program.

MTfan4life
September 24th, 2017, 09:27 AM

A 1-3 team that lost a home game to Bethune-Cookman is the 3rd best team in the Southland??? That's some rough depth if that's the case. I'd still say Nicholls or McNeese.

Then second issue, Montana in the Big Sky's top 3? Weber State, Southern Utah, Sacramento State, Northern Colorado, Idaho State, and Northern Arizona all have better wins than Montana at this point. Plus, the knowledge of Valparaiso having no problem scoring points and putting up yards against Montana's defense can't help their case.

cx500d
September 24th, 2017, 09:27 AM
The one year EWU beat us was in a game that completely favored them. We had a new coach, new starting offensive players in several key positions, new offensive and defensive schemes, EWU was playing at home and EWU's quarterback Vernon Adams was a senior and having his best year, and oh yeah, the refs were complete psychopaths and throwing flags on every ticky-tack violation against us they could while only throwing one flag against EWU the whole game. That we actually managed to score 5 TDs in that game was a miracle, all things considered.

EWU was a good team, and they almost came back to beat us in 2012 (that's how good a QB Adams was), so no egg on their program.

Vernon Adams last year was at Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cocky
September 24th, 2017, 09:30 AM
MVFC
CAA
Southland
SoCon
Big Sky
okay add in OVC

MVFC-NDSU, SDSU, ILL ST
CAA-JMU, ELON, RICH
SOCON-WOFF, WCU, CIT
OVC-JSU, UT MART, E ILL

MVC = NDSU, SDSU, YSU
CAA = JMU, UNH, Maine
SFL = SHSU, UCA, SFA?
SOCON = The Citadel, UTC, Wofford?
Big Sky = Weber, Mont St, ND
OVC = JSU, UTM, TSU

Serpentor
September 24th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Vernon Adams last year was at Oregon.

That was post-grad. He redshirted his freshman year and still had a year of eligibility. He was a senior at EWU in 2014.

MTfan4life
September 24th, 2017, 09:59 AM
That was post-grad. He redshirted his freshman year and still had a year of eligibility. He was a senior at EWU in 2014.

Only by academic standards. On the roster, he was listed as a junior. It's very rare to mention an athlete's class as what year he is academically, rather than athletically.

BNATION
September 24th, 2017, 10:00 AM
After two Big Sky is tough for me. I think week to week number three can float. Same as Southland. Mcnease and Nicholls were underwhelming in week 4. Mcnease will most likely work their way back into my number 3 spot.

A 1-3 team that lost a home game to Bethune-Cookman is the 3rd best team in the Southland??? That's some rough depth if that's the case. I'd still say Nicholls or McNeese.

Then second issue, Montana in the Big Sky's top 3? Weber State, Southern Utah, Sacramento State, Northern Colorado, Idaho State, and Northern Arizona all have better wins than Montana at this point. Plus, the knowledge of Valparaiso having no problem scoring points and putting up yards against Montana's defense can't help their case.

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Aren't most of Sam Houston's wins against the big sky early round when's when they are the seeded team and playing a lower level big sky team?

kalm
September 24th, 2017, 10:10 AM
MVFC
CAA
Southland
SoCon
Big Sky
okay add in OVC

MVFC-NDSU, SDSU, ILL ST
CAA-JMU, ELON, RICH
SOCON-WOFF, WCU, CIT
OVC-JSU, UT MART, E ILL

NDSU, SDSU, WIU
JMU, UNH, RICH
SHSU, UCA, Nichols
Woff, Cit, WCU
Weber, EWU, MSU
JSU, UTM, TNST

IBleedYellow
September 24th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Remember. Everyone went high on USD after they beat up on UND who everyone was high on.

May need to pull the reins back on USD hype just a little after UNDs performance yesterday.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2017, 10:33 AM
Remember. Everyone went high on USD after they beat up on UND who everyone was high on.

May need to pull the reins back on USD hype just a little after UNDs performance yesterday.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

They performed well in all their games.

Milktruck74
September 24th, 2017, 12:47 PM
SOCON = The Citadel, UTC, Wofford?

Padding that OOC resume.....dude, quit smoking the METH!!!!! Ha

Thumper 76
September 24th, 2017, 01:38 PM
They performed well in all their games.

Against Drake, a bad FBS, and a bad UND. Not saying they shouldn't be highly ranked, but I think top 3 MVFC team is a bit much hype for them at the moment.

KPSUL
September 24th, 2017, 01:48 PM

A more accurate measure would be to compare the record of play between all conference teams over the same ten year period. UNH is 2-0 vs Southland with wins over SELU in 2013 and McNeese in 2009. I'm not going to research every team myself, but if you know the history of your team, post it here. Interestingly, McNeese and SELU were conference champs the year we played them, UNH was not. In fact, UNH was the 4th highest ranked team in the conference in 2009 at the end of the regular season and 3rd in 2013. Conclusion? There were probably several CAA teams that could have beat the Southland champ each of those two seasons.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 24th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Against Drake, a bad FBS, and a bad UND. Not saying they shouldn't be highly ranked, but I think top 3 MVFC team is a bit much hype for them at the moment.

They have still played very well. IMO, they are #3 in the Valley right now. Things will definitely change though.

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2017, 03:10 PM

So who are you going with? WIU?

BNATION
September 24th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Understand and respect your argument. However that's not the point I'm trying to make. Just saying the regardless of the strength of our conference, we have shown we can compete with the best in FCS year in and year out. Good luck to you guys this year.

A more accurate measure would be to compare the record of play between all conference teams over the same ten year period. UNH is 2-0 vs Southland with wins over SELU in 2013 and McNeese in 2009. I'm not going to research every team myself, but if you know the history of your team, post it here. Interestingly, McNeese and SELU were conference champs the year we played them, UNH was not. In fact, UNH was the 4th highest ranked team in the conference in 2009 at the end of the regular season and 3rd in 2013. Conclusion? There were probably several CAA teams that could have beat the Southland champ each of those two seasons.

ST_Lawson
September 24th, 2017, 03:46 PM
So who are you going with? WIU?

I'm not saying we're better than them...we'll find that out this next weekend, but I don't see how their resume is any better than ours at this point.

They beat non-scholarship Drake, a bad FBS by a decent margin, and what's turning out to be a mediocre Big Sky team.
We beat a couple of not-great full-scholarship teams and completely steamrolled a bad FBS team.

PantherRob82
September 24th, 2017, 03:47 PM
I'm not saying we're better than them...we'll find that out this next weekend, but I don't see how their resume is any better than ours at this point.

They beat non-scholarship Drake, a bad FBS by a decent margin, and what's turning out to be a mediocre Big Sky team.
We beat a couple of not-great full-scholarship teams and completely steamrolled a bad FBS team.

That was my point. I assume if he doesn't have USD #3 then it had to be WIU. YSU hasn't proven anything.

KPSUL
September 24th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Just saying the regardless of the strength of our conference, we have shown we can compete with the best in FCS year in and year out.

That's beyond dispute the five year period 2011 thru 2015. I started a post last preseason, and reposted this season that argued SHSU was the 2nd best FCS team during the NDSU five-year run.

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 04:03 PM
That's beyond dispute the five year period 2011 thru 2015. I started a post last preseason, and reposted this season that argued SHSU was the 2nd best FCS team during the NDSU five-year run.

It must be nice being the CAA.

In the CAA it's parity.

In the SLC it's mediocrity.

centennial
September 24th, 2017, 04:20 PM
It must be nice being the CAA.

In the CAA it's parity.

In the SLC it's mediocrity.
It's just false narrative. That's all. There's no way JMU is #1 for me anymore. Or for that matter if they could beat any of the top 5 teams in the MVFC.
CAA is having a down year.

ST_Lawson
September 24th, 2017, 06:03 PM
That was my point. I assume if he doesn't have USD #3 then it had to be WIU. YSU hasn't proven anything.

Ah, my mistake. Good on ya then.

BisonTru
September 25th, 2017, 12:28 AM
MVFC - NDSU, SDSU, WIU
CAA - JMU, Albany, Villanova
SLand - SHSU, UCA, N/A
SoCon - Woff, Citadel, WCU
Big Sky - EWU, WSU, MSU
OVC - JSU, UTM, N/A

jacksfan29
September 25th, 2017, 09:37 AM
They have still played very well. IMO, they are #3 in the Valley right now. Things will definitely change though.

WIU have still not played a home game, yet they are 3-0, all solid wins. It will begin to get answered this weekend, but early season, and based on last season and returners, 1) NDSU, 2) SDSU, 3) WIU with 4) YSU coming in ahead of 5) USD. A win over one of the worst FBS teams in the country and a win, at home over UND doesn't look quite as impressive after this weekend.

WrenFGun
September 25th, 2017, 09:51 AM
I'll comment mostly on the CAA, since I don't see a ton of other leagues. The CAA is JMU and everyone else. I'd probably rank Elon and Albany next. Elon has wins over Richmond, Chuck South and Furman, which all look decent, and only an FBS loss. Albany has a win over Villanova, a decent win over Monmouth and a reasonable FBS performance. UNH and Stony Brook would probably be the next two (UNH would be #2 if not for a bad loss to HC). Richmond, Villanova and Maine are all good teams, too, but their resumes aren't very good right now. With the exception of Towson, I think every team is a dogfight this year in the CAA.

MTfan4life
September 25th, 2017, 10:13 AM
There's no way JMU is #1 for me anymore.

Why not? What have they done in the first four weeks that have shown to you they couldn't beat any of the top half of the MVFC? Their first 4 games have actually played out better than their first 4 last season.

BisonTru
September 25th, 2017, 01:33 PM
WIU have still not played a home game, yet they are 3-0, all solid wins. It will begin to get answered this weekend, but early season, and based on last season and returners, 1) NDSU, 2) SDSU, 3) WIU with 4) YSU coming in ahead of 5) USD. A win over one of the worst FBS teams in the country and a win, at home over UND doesn't look quite as impressive after this weekend.

Agree with this. Western already had a ton coming back. They're a senior heavy team, and they performing at a high level on the road. They are pretty firm at 3 for me as well.