PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 5

carney2
September 23rd, 2017, 08:33 PM
Apologies, but I’m having trouble typing with this bag over my head. Imagine how bad this would be if the League hadn’t gone scholarship …

LAFAYETTE @ HOLY CROSS
COLGATE @ Cornell
Harvard @ GEORGETOWN
Yale @ FORDHAM
Monmouth @ BUCKNELL
LEHIGH @ Wagner

Game of the Week: None. Another week of sukkie football. On the other hand, how about Lehigh @ Wagner. If the Wags can heap yet more embarrassment on the Squawks, perhaps we will see an actual lynching in Bethlehem.

The good news is that we are one week closer to the end of this misery.

PAllen
September 23rd, 2017, 08:38 PM
If I have to:

HC
Toothpaste
Yard
Yale
Monmouth
Wagner.

At least the PL won't lose all of them.

Ivytalk
September 23rd, 2017, 09:00 PM
Cross
Colgate
Harvard
Yale
Monmouth
Lehigh ( they just can't start 0-5; ngineer won't stand for it)

Lehigh Football Nation
September 23rd, 2017, 10:28 PM
What is Wagner's single game scoring record? Figured I'd just get myself prepared before I go to Staten Island this weekend.

ngineer
September 23rd, 2017, 11:10 PM
Carney has a bag on his head. I have a bag under my jaw.

Lafayette showed some moxie tonight against Princeton. Pujals should have a field day. Crusaders cruise, 38-20.

'gate seems to have come unhinged. Promising start to season, now seems to be spiraling. Still, it is Cornell. I feel the Raiders can get up for this one, 31-28.

Harvard will be "Johnny come early.." and often. They call off the dogs by end of third quarter. Harvard 56-10.

Yale is a lock. 35-20.

Don't see Bucky beating Monmouth. Hawks 31-17.

Hard to pick Lehigh after watch such a disaster of an defense. Yet, it's Wagner, who has had lousy season as well, and may have gotten banged up a Western Michigan today (I hope). I am assuming somehow, someway, the Lehigh defense finds its pride somewhere and will hold Wagner to under 40 points! And Ivytalk is right, I will not allow us to start the season 0-5...cannot remember us ever starting 0-5 in all my 47 years of being associated with the school. Lehigh 45-38.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 23rd, 2017, 11:15 PM
I'm headed to Indiana for a golf/Notre Dame vs Miami (OH) trip. I picked a good week to get away from Patriot League football...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 23rd, 2017, 11:18 PM
Carney has a bag on his head. I have a bag under my jaw.

Lafayette showed some moxie tonight against Princeton. Pujals should have a field day. Crusaders cruise, 38-20.

'gate seems to have come unhinged. Promising start to season, now seems to be spiraling. Still, it is Cornell. I feel the Raiders can get up for this one, 31-28.

Harvard will be "Johnny come early.." and often. They call off the dogs by end of third quarter. Harvard 56-10.

Yale is a lock. 35-20.

Don't see Bucky beating Monmouth. Hawks 31-17.

Hard to pick Lehigh after watch such a disaster of an defense. Yet, it's Wagner, who has had lousy season as well, and may have gotten banged up a Western Michigan today (I hope). I am assuming somehow, someway, the Lehigh defense finds its pride somewhere and will hold Wagner to under 40 points! And Ivytalk is right, I will not allow us to start the season 0-5...cannot remember us ever starting 0-5 in all my 47 years of being associated with the school. Lehigh 45-38.

You must have erased the 2014 season from your memory (I wish I could). Lehigh started the season 0-5 with losses to JMU, UNH, Yale, Monmouth and Bucknell. They got their first win against a dreadful Cornell team on a rainy day in Ithaca. Safe to say that season ended as badly as it began....

ngineer
September 23rd, 2017, 11:22 PM
You must have erased the 2014 season from your memory. Lehigh started the season 0-5 with losses to JMU, UNH, Yale, Monmouth and Bucknell. They got their first win against a dreadful Cornell team on a rainy day in Ithaca.

Jack Daniels will do that for you. Thanks alot! We also know how that season ended...

bonarae
September 24th, 2017, 01:20 AM
Holy Cross
Colgate
Harvard
Yale
Monmouth
Wagner

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

CHIP72
September 24th, 2017, 06:44 AM
You must have erased the 2014 season from your memory (I wish I could). Lehigh started the season 0-5 with losses to JMU, UNH, Yale, Monmouth and Bucknell. They got their first win against a dreadful Cornell team on a rainy day in Ithaca. Safe to say that season ended as badly as it began....

Jack Daniels will do that for you. Thanks alot! We also know how that season ended...

Lehigh looked terrible in more ways than one when the season ended. I remember.

RichH2
September 24th, 2017, 07:21 AM

Sadly I do have an 0-9 to reflect on occasionally. A team that could neither score nor defend. Andy's post game obit very disturbing. Somehow he saw " improvement" . Mind boggling Alice in Wonderland comment.

Doc QB
September 24th, 2017, 07:40 AM
Sadly I do have an 0-9 to reflect on occasionally. A team that could neither score nor defend. Andy's post game obit very disturbing. Somehow he saw " improvement" . Mind boggling Alice in Wonderland comment.
Agree, Rich. Newspaper comment reflected that as well. Improvement. Cant see it, we went backwards, again. Hate to make a comparison, but that is a Tavani like comment...one that shows huge disconnect, missing reality, delusion even. You just cant call your D finally getting one sack improvement. Something aint right over the mountain, and I worry either Coen knows there is no fix (aint no transfer LBs showing up on Monday) or he already knows a huge shake up is coming at seasons end. He isnt the same guy and many people have noticed. Its more than the losses, something's not right.

RichH2
September 24th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Agree, Rich. Newspaper comment reflected that as well. Improvement. Cant see it, we went backwards, again. Hate to make a comparison, but that is a Tavani like comment...one that shows huge disconnect, missing reality, delusion even. You just cant call your D finally getting one sack improvement. Something aint right over the mountain, and I worry either Coen knows there is no fix (aint no transfer LBs showing up on Monday) or he already knows a huge shake up is coming at seasons end. He isnt the same guy and many people have noticed. Its more than the losses, something's not right.
Hate to agree but I dont see the anger that he would normally express after a game like that. I dont understand this recent Pollyanna approach.Almost like he's tired and has given up on this team.

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Hate to agree but I dont see the anger that he would normally express after a game like that. I dont understand this recent Pollyanna approach.Almost like he's tired and has given up on this team.

+8

carney2
September 24th, 2017, 12:25 PM
LAFAYETTE @ HOLY CROSS – The Cross is playing to hoist the trophy. The Pards are prepping for a big effort vs. Georgetown.

COLGATE @ Cornell – SUNY Ithaca continues to defy logic and refuses to field a football team. Ed Marinaro, where are you now that they need you?

Harvard @ GEORGETOWN – The Ivys are lined up around the block to play the only Patriot League program that didn’t cave to scholarships. It’s a matter of principle. If it were about Ws and Ls, they could grab just about any Patsy team from a hat and beat the living crap out of them.

Yale @ FORDHAM – The Rams looking past Eli to their big game with Lafayette.

Monmouth @ BUCKNELL – Not believing in Bucky against almost anyone.

LEHIGH @ Wagner – Wags will score and score, but the ChickenSquawks should score more.

DFW HOYA
September 24th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Harvard @ GEORGETOWN – The Ivys are lined up around the block to play the only Patriot League program that didn’t cave to scholarships.

Were that the case.

In fact, Georgetown has a thin slate of Ancient Eight opponents. Excepting Columbia:

Penn did not renew a two year series after 2008, and hasn't appeared on a schedule since.
Yale did not renew a two year series after 2012, and hasn't appeared on a schedule since.
The last game in the current Harvard series is 2017, and was not renewed.
The last game in the current Princeton series is 2017, and was not renewed.
Georgetown is returning a game to Dartmouth in 2018 as part of a two game series, not renewed as far as future published schedules list.
Georgetown has a one game series pending at Brown.
Georgetown has a one game series pending at Cornell.

PAllen
September 24th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Were that the case.

In fact, Georgetown has a thin slate of Ancient Eight opponents. Excepting Columbia:

Penn did not renew a two year series after 2008, and hasn't appeared on a schedule since.
Yale did not renew a two year series after 2012, and hasn't appeared on a schedule since.
Georgetown is returning a game to Dartmouth in 2018 as part of a two game series, not renewed as far as future published schedules list.

Perhaps if you agreed to play them all as away games. The common thread is one trip to the MSF is more than enough for the ivies. GU cans cream peer institution all they want, but they're not, especially in their football program.

LUHawker
September 24th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Almost like he's tired and has given up on this team.

I suggested that this team looks like it already quit after the Yale game and that includes Andy Coen on the Lehigh board. Of course, LFN quickly smacked that idea down as if sticking your head in the sand avoids the issue.

I'll state it here first: Andy needs to go. He appears to have become complacent and seems to lack the fire. After 11 years, Lehigh needs some fresh perspective. He's a great ambassador for the school and has been a good coach, but it's now time.

Southsider
September 24th, 2017, 05:55 PM
I suggested that this team looks like it already quit after the Yale game and that includes Andy Coen on the Lehigh board. Of course, LFN quickly smacked that idea down as if sticking your head in the sand avoids the issue.

I'll state it here first: Andy needs to go. He appears to have become complacent and seems to lack the fire. After 11 years, Lehigh needs some fresh perspective. He's a great ambassador for the school and has been a good coach, but it's now time.

Yes, I noticed you post was removed. Some people can't handle the truth. Sadly!

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 07:08 PM

+9

ngineer
September 24th, 2017, 07:29 PM

I hate to say it, but I agree that 'something' seems out of kilter with Coen. After games he is very laconic. During the games he seems detached. I am no doctor, but I wonder if something is going one. He does not seem the same guy to me either.

Lehigh'98
September 24th, 2017, 08:40 PM
I hate to say it, but I agree that 'something' seems out of kilter with Coen. After games he is very laconic. During the games he seems detached. I am no doctor, but I wonder if something is going one. He does not seem the same guy to me either.

It's concerning to say the least.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 24th, 2017, 10:29 PM

I've communicated with some of the players - it's pretty damn clear to me they haven't quit. You might want to read some of the other posts on that board as well.

You mean this one that wasn't removed?

http://www.lehighsportsforum.com/forums/topic/has-the-team-already-quit/

PAllen
September 24th, 2017, 11:19 PM
I've communicated with some of the players - it's pretty damn clear to me they haven't quit. You might want to read some of the other posts on that board as well.

You mean this one that wasn't removed?

Anyone who has watched the last few games can see that they've clearly given up on any number of plays. This team is lost in the wilderness right now.

The Boogie Down
September 24th, 2017, 11:38 PM
I've communicated with some of the players - it's pretty damn clear to me they haven't quit.

Just outta curiosity but what are players supposed to say "Yeah, winning requires too much work so we all decided to quit." I'm asking because I've read the same type of things from Fordham guys desperate to defend a coach who's clearly in over his head.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 24th, 2017, 11:45 PM
Just outta curiosity but what are players supposed to say "Yeah, winning requires too much work so we all decided to quit." I'm asking because I've read the same type of things from Fordham guys desperate to defend a coach who's clearly in over his head.

I'm not really defending the coaches here, TBD, at least I don't think I am. I mean, I don't think Lehigh's QB is quitting, he threw for 400 yards and was scoring TDs in the 4th quarter. In the press conferences, the QB is not throwing people under the bus and making excuses.

Go...gate
September 25th, 2017, 12:16 AM
Were that the case.

At least you guys still have a couple of games scheduled. Beyond Cornell (an annual series) Colgate has no games scheduled with the Ivy League for the foreseeable future.

carney2
September 25th, 2017, 08:31 AM
At least you guys still have a couple of games scheduled. Beyond Cornell (an annual series) Colgate has no games scheduled with the Ivy League for the foreseeable future.

And Lafayette has no Ivy games on next year's schedule at all. Sorry, DFW, but the Georgetown AD seems to be the only guy in the Patriot league who gets return calls from the Snooty Eight.

The Pud
September 25th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Anyone who has watched the last few games can see that they've clearly given up on any number of plays. This team is lost in the wilderness right now.

I totally agree with this!!

carney2
September 25th, 2017, 08:43 AM
I am currently treating all of this as "rumors, but where there's smoke there's fire:"

Lafayette's lame duck AD, Bruce McCutcheon, supposedly addressed the Friends of Football group before Saturday's Princeton game and told them they need to raise more money because the school will be further cutting funding for the program. This, in the face of The Study which may finally be thrown on someone's desk as early as this week, and will almost certainly state that Lafayette athletics suffers from lack of institutional support.

We all know that the pay day from No. 150 at Yankee Stadium a few years ago was confiscated by the administration and little, if any was retained in the athletic department. It turns out that much the same thing happens to the pay checks for "money games" such as at Army last year.

It also appears that alumni contributions to groups like the Maroon Club that support athletics are treated as virtual dollar for dollar reductions in College funding by the administration.

I've been watching Lafayette athletics circle the bowl for decades and am getting ever closer to throwing in the towel.

Fordham
September 25th, 2017, 09:11 AM
Brutal carney. Sorry to hear it and hope you're wrong about the continued circling of the drain. Hope that report shakes things up in a good way for you guys (even if it sounds like that may be an overly optimistic take).

So what are the guys who ponied up the big bucks to give you guys some of the best and most beautiful facilities in FCS saying and doing now? They must feel like their money is not just circling but was already flushed, no?

Franks Tanks
September 25th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Brutal carney. Sorry to hear it and hope you're wrong about the continued circling of the drain. Hope that report shakes things up in a good way for you guys (even if it sounds like that may be an overly optimistic take).

So what are the guys who ponied up the big bucks to give you guys some of the best and most beautiful facilities in FCS saying and doing now? They must feel like their money is not just circling but was already flushed, no?

Jack Bourger, the namesake of the field house, is still on board. He attends every game and is often found around the team. I don't know how we feels about the admin and program in his heart of hearts, but he is outwardly supportive. Mr. Fisher provided a large gift for the renovation also. I don't know him at all, and have no idea regarding his current level of support.

If this Friends of Football meeting went down as described I am also about done with these people. John Garrett is off to an inauspicious start, but he is the right man to get this ship righted. I wonder if he will stick around Easton under these conditions. If the school can't support the football program, and others, to the level needed to be competitive what's the point?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 25th, 2017, 10:04 AM
I am currently treating all of this as "rumors, but where there's smoke there's fire:"

Lafayette's lame duck AD, Bruce McCutcheon, supposedly addressed the Friends of Football group before Saturday's Princeton game and told them they need to raise more money because the school will be further cutting funding for the program. This, in the face of The Study which may finally be thrown on someone's desk as early as this week, and will almost certainly state that Lafayette athletics suffers from lack of institutional support.

We all know that the pay day from No. 150 at Yankee Stadium a few years ago was confiscated by the administration and little, if any was retained in the athletic department. It turns out that much the same thing happens to the pay checks for "money games" such as at Army last year.

It also appears that alumni contributions to groups like the Maroon Club that support athletics are treated as virtual dollar for dollar reductions in College funding by the administration.

I've been watching Lafayette athletics circle the bowl for decades and am getting ever closer to throwing in the towel.

At UAB, Ray Watts' claim was that it cost to much to keep UAB football in operation. Their consulting firm was paid to come to the same conclusion.

At Hofstra, the president refered to a "secret study" (that has never been made public) that football cost too much, and thus the President effectively, unilaterally, decided to kill football there.

At BU, their University president finished off a 30 year mission to strangle football at the university through neglect, apathy, and, of course a "concern for costs", claiming that football was losing the institution money.

If you weren't concerned before about Lafayette disbanding their football program, you'd better be after reading this. To these ears it sounds like Bruce McCutcheon is trying to get football donors to open their pockets so that the school can't make the argument that it's a "cost concern". And believe me, this statement of mine isn't coming out of some misguided smack, it's coming out of genuine concerns.

RichH2
September 25th, 2017, 10:48 AM
A really surprising development.. I assume Garrett knew the recent history of Pard football and required certain guarantees prior to signing his contract. If Pards are going to cut the budget yet again I would not be shocked if he bailed quickly.

LUHawker
September 25th, 2017, 10:51 AM
I'm not really defending the coaches here, TBD, at least I don't think I am. I mean, I don't think Lehigh's QB is quitting, he threw for 400 yards and was scoring TDs in the 4th quarter. In the press conferences, the QB is not throwing people under the bus and making excuses.

I think having used the word "quit" was too loose a word to put forth and I'm retracting it. The word quit goes to intent, attitude and effort and I don't think that is what I or others really mean. The word that I think is more appropriate is "demoralized", which goes to having lost confidence, being discouraged or dispirited. If the players are put into such positions (literally and figuratively), where they can not overcome, then I think we're talking about being dispirited or demoralized. I think it's important to re-frame this discussion for both the Lehigh contingent here (as well as some of the other PL teams whose fans may be having similar ideas in this year of PL under-achievement).

Colgate Raider Redux
September 25th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Re Carney's reference to McCutcheon's comments above:

Is the administration, the BOT and the Lafayette "community" ( all inclusive of alums, faculty, parents, etc ) now content to be a doormat of the Patriot League ? ....And justify it by concentrating on more significant demands on resourses, like the new 75 mill. science building ? Does this "community" consider "being a small school with DI athletics" one of its many points of institutional distinctiveness ( like combining liberal arts and engineering ) ? Or has it gotten to the point where what it takes to compete across the board in the 10 member PL just unrealistic for LC ? ( It might be unreralistic for a school of 2500 students who no longer considers DI athletics a tradition-entrenched point of distinction to justify competing against institutions with resources like Boston, West Point and Annapolis ?) Is it just a football thing ? Is it just that some very successful charismatic ex LC jock has not risen to a leadership role in the BOT to garner resources and lobby effectively ? Is a move to D3 within the range of possibilities ?

Franks Tanks
September 25th, 2017, 11:02 AM
Let's not get too ahead of ourselves just yet. The budget report came from one poster. The individual is a relatively frequent poster, but also somewhat new, and not someone the board knows as having inside info. By no means do I think he is fibbing, but we haven't heard anything from the friends of football on this matter as of yet.

From day one the goal of the study has been to improve the competiveness of the athletic department. While we al have been suspicious of the impact of the mythical study for some time, dropping the football program has never in anyway been part of the conversation according to all accounts. Bruce may be a "Yes man" but if there were any hint that football were in trouble he would be screaming from the rooftops. Bruce played for Lou Holtz at William & Mary, and although he is retiring he wouldn't let this proceed under his watch. Also why fire Frank, with time left on his contract, to drop the sport? We are still paying Frank this year by the way. Also we've heard this before from LFN and his theory that Lafayette wouldn't give scholarships and would move to the PFL.

BucBisonAtLarge
September 25th, 2017, 04:35 PM
Meanwhile, out west, the team is at .500. The New Mexico Lobos, where I finally sprung for season's tickets.. and the Bison! Go figure.

HOLY CROSS- I believe.
COLGATE- Less confident here than usual.
Harvard- Peer carnage
Yale- I got nothing here. Go Rams.
Monmouth- Bucknell has a bye next week and won't play home again until November. A home upset would sure be sweet.
LEHIGH- Set me up that football, Lucy.

20-6 thus far.

Off topic- Monmouth is about to play its 3rd of 4 PL opponents this season. Are we inching toward an 8th member?

TheValleyRaider
September 25th, 2017, 05:14 PM
4-3 last week, 17-9 overall. Not a great week, though even worse for the League. Is this one better? So many questions...

Lafayette at Holy Cross Holy Cross A League game to get us started off? I'm not quite so down on the Crusaders, given Dartmouth is probably an Ivy contender, but their loss was a disappointing cap to the day. HC is definitely improved from seasons past, but are the Leopards? Comments from this last game suggest some advances are showing, but that's not enough here. HC should be 2-0 in the League, before the rest of the supposed contenders have even started the schedule.

Colgate at Cornell Colgate Listened to the last game, and it sounds like we ran out of steam. Between injuries and an offense that can't quite get going, it's been rough sledding in recent weeks. Is SUNY-Ithaca the cure for what ails us? On the one hand, Big Red almost certainly doesn't match up with any of the foes we've seen so far. Add in last year's blown lead, and hopefully you've got a Raider team poised for a big day. Better dead than Red.

Harvard at Georgetown Harvard At FedEx Field? Sure, why not? I want to make a joke about the Redskins here, but they're actually playing well (for now). Not quite up to par is Harvard, who already took a loss to Rhode Island (Rhode Island?!?). All things considered, the Hoyas are probably right where they should be, given what we know about what they have. I want to say more, but even if this isn't an Ivy-contending Crimson squad, I don't know how G'town gets enough points to stay in this one.

Yale at Fordham Yale Moment of truth game coming for the Rams. Are they really a team that can make a statement in the PL? Or are they going to follow in Lehigh's path and get thumped by old Eli? I admit, I hesitated here, but in the end Yale has looked good so far, which I can't really say about Fordham. A win, though, could be very interesting, and might be enough to make me believe in the Rams again. For now.

Monmouth at Bucknell Monmouth I almost did it. I almost took the Bison at home. Still a good defense, which can keep you in games. The Hawks, though, have too many good marks so far this year, while I haven't really been impressed by anything the Bison have done. Were the League doing better overall OOC, I might be tempted. Monmouth goes to 3-0 in PL play this year, and by the way, they play Holy Cross next week. Is Monmouth the new Marist?

Lehigh at Wagner Lehigh Is this foolish on my part? I don't really think so. Lehigh hasn't looked good so far, but their competition hasn't exactly been a bunch of nobodies. At the very least, it's tougher than Wagner has faced (and lost to) so far. We'll see if this winds up having any long-term ramifications for the Lehigh season, but getting in the Win column never hurts. A good effort will speak well to the team's responsiveness after a very poor start.

CHIP72
September 25th, 2017, 05:44 PM
TheValleyRaider - that Harvard/Georgetown game is at RFK Stadium, not FedEx Field.

The Pud
September 25th, 2017, 05:46 PM
4-3 last week, 17-9 overall. Not a great week, though even worse for the League. Is this one better? So many questions...

Lafayette at Holy Cross Holy Cross A League game to get us started off? I'm not quite so down on the Crusaders, given Dartmouth is probably an Ivy contender, but their loss was a disappointing cap to the day. HC is definitely improved from seasons past, but are the Leopards? Comments from this last game suggest some advances are showing, but that's not enough here. HC should be 2-0 in the League, before the rest of the supposed contenders have even started the schedule.

Colgate at Cornell Colgate Listened to the last game, and it sounds like we ran out of steam. Between injuries and an offense that can't quite get going, it's been rough sledding in recent weeks. Is SUNY-Ithaca the cure for what ails us? On the one hand, Big Red almost certainly doesn't match up with any of the foes we've seen so far. Add in last year's blown lead, and hopefully you've got a Raider team poised for a big day. Better dead than Red.

Harvard at Georgetown Harvard At FedEx Field? Sure, why not? I want to make a joke about the Redskins here, but they're actually playing well (for now). Not quite up to par is Harvard, who already took a loss to Rhode Island (Rhode Island?!?). All things considered, the Hoyas are probably right where they should be, given what we know about what they have. I want to say more, but even if this isn't an Ivy-contending Crimson squad, I don't know how G'town gets enough points to stay in this one.

Yale at Fordham Yale Moment of truth game coming for the Rams. Are they really a team that can make a statement in the PL? Or are they going to follow in Lehigh's path and get thumped by old Eli? I admit, I hesitated here, but in the end Yale has looked good so far, which I can't really say about Fordham. A win, though, could be very interesting, and might be enough to make me believe in the Rams again. For now.

Monmouth at Bucknell Monmouth I almost did it. I almost took the Bison at home. Still a good defense, which can keep you in games. The Hawks, though, have too many good marks so far this year, while I haven't really been impressed by anything the Bison have done. Were the League doing better overall OOC, I might be tempted. Monmouth goes to 3-0 in PL play this year, and by the way, they play Holy Cross next week. Is Monmouth the new Marist?

Lehigh at Wagner Lehigh Is this foolish on my part? I don't really think so. Lehigh hasn't looked good so far, but their competition hasn't exactly been a bunch of nobodies. At the very least, it's tougher than Wagner has faced (and lost to) so far. We'll see if this winds up having any long-term ramifications for the Lehigh season, but getting in the Win column never hurts. A good effort will speak well to the team's responsiveness after a very poor start.

Excellent summary! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Pard4Life
September 25th, 2017, 06:47 PM
No way in hell Lehigh loses to Wagner. Stop crying.

TheValleyRaider
September 25th, 2017, 07:45 PM
TheValleyRaider - that Harvard/Georgetown game is at RFK Stadium, not FedEx Field.

Of course it is. It's been 5 weeks, about time I made a mistake in one of these xlolx

DFW HOYA
September 25th, 2017, 07:50 PM
I don't know how G'town gets enough points to stay in this one.

As discussed earlier, it's all about the offense. Two statistics to ponder:

1. In its last 10 games, Georgetown has averaged 11 points per game and has lost nine of ten.

2. When giving up more than 14 points in a game, not an unreasonable number, Georgetown has lost nine straight, 13 of its last 14, and 39 of its last 44 over the last five years.

Son of Eli
September 25th, 2017, 08:31 PM
And Lafayette has no Ivy games on next year's schedule at all. Sorry, DFW, but the Georgetown AD seems to be the only guy in the Patriot league who gets return calls from the Snooty Eight.

Holy Cross has lots of future games scheduled against the Ivy League for many years to come.

http://www.goholycross.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33100&ATCLID=211054899

Plus in 2019 Fordham is playing Yale and Colgate is playing Dartmouth.

ngineer
September 25th, 2017, 08:41 PM

Not surprised to read this. From my nearby contacts on "the hill" it is the same perspective.

There has to be major concerns beyond football. I don't think LC had a winning season in any sport last year--23 intercollegiate teams! The problem is whether enough 'Maroons" are committed enough to want their school to become competitive, again.

Sader87
September 26th, 2017, 12:49 AM
Holy Cross has lots of future games scheduled against the Ivy League for many years to come.

http://www.goholycross.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33100&ATCLID=211054899

Plus in 2019 Fordham is playing Yale and Colgate is playing Dartmouth.

Of all the PL schools...HC probably has the closest ties with the Ivies....due probably to history and geography.

Go...gate
September 26th, 2017, 12:53 AM
Of all the PL schools...HC probably has the closest ties with the Ivies....due probably to history and geography.

I believe Colgate remains the most-played non-conference opponent of the Ivy schools, but Cross was a close second and may have passed us.

Sader87
September 26th, 2017, 01:06 AM
Could be....just know that only Colgate and HC were University Division for most of the 20th Century when many of the PL schools either didn't have football or played at the College Division and didn't play the Ivies that often.

It is what is...but I'm very glad that HC continues to play Harvard, Yale and Dartmouth on a regular basis. Most HC alumni look forward to those games much more than the PL games.

Colgate Raider Redux
September 26th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Could be....just know that only Colgate and HC were University Division for most of the 20th Century when many of the PL schools either didn't have football or played at the College Division and didn't play the Ivies that often.

It is what is...but I'm very glad that HC continues to play Harvard, Yale and Dartmouth on a regular basis. Most HC alumni look forward to those games much more than the PL games.

Maintaining the "rubbing elbows with the Ivies" tradition must be a great therapy for alums as a diversion or distraction from reality,......as H.C.'s 39% admissions acceptance rate makes it almost the least competitive school in the P.L..( Who are H.C.'s peer schools today anyway ? ) It's kind of New England-Great Gatsby-esque, isn't it ? The "I.L. game" is almost like a prop that H.C. can roll out today. Don't worry, we'll go along with it for you 87 because we know how important your memories are for you to "keep it all together." ( But, really.....how did H.C. get this way ? Other N.E. schools are thriving. )

Franks Tanks
September 26th, 2017, 10:46 AM

From college football data warehouse (note 2016 and 17 games not included)

Games vs. the Ivies by PL member

Colgate- 317

Holy Cross- 265

Lafayette- 252

Lehigh-217

Bucknell-145

Fordham- 76

Georgetown- 34

Go...gate
September 26th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Thanks, Franks Tanks. I had not had time to look myself.

carney2
September 26th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Point spreads for this week (comments are mine):

Holy Cross by 24 over Lafayette - Shows more about the levels of disrespect for Lafayette than respect for the Cross.

Colgate by 10.5 over Cornell

Harvard by 14.5 over Georgetown - And HC 24 over Lafayette? You gotta be kidding me.

Lehigh by 7.5 over Wagner - We're talking Wagner here. Freakin' Wagner!

Yale by 6.5 over Fordham

Monmouth by 4.5 over Bucknell

Lehigh'98
September 26th, 2017, 01:55 PM

Holy Cross by 24 over Lafayette - Shows more about the levels of disrespect for Lafayette than respect for the Cross.

Harvard by 14.5 over Georgetown - And HC 24 over Lafayette? You gotta be kidding me.

Yale by 6.5 over Fordham

That Yale number is way low

CFBfan
September 26th, 2017, 01:56 PM
5 ooc games this week, if pl doesn't win at least 4 they should loose their auto bid

Lehigh'98
September 26th, 2017, 02:00 PM
4 ooc games this week, if pl doesn't win at least 4 they should loose their auto bid

Nah, one terrible year. Let's not go crazy here. Top teams have been very competitive in the past with the best of FCS. Changes are needed, but your statement is dumb (not just because of your poor spelling).

Colgate Raider Redux
September 26th, 2017, 02:13 PM

Colgate- 317

Holy Cross- 265

Lafayette- 252

Lehigh-217

Bucknell-145

Fordham- 76

Georgetown- 34

From sader87's way of looking at the world, the admissions page on the H.C. website would include this "almost played more IL games than any other PL school" as an institutional point of distinction along with "almost becoming a member of the BE."

CFBfan
September 26th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Nah, one terrible year. Let's not go crazy here. Top teams have been very competitive in the past with the best of FCS. Changes are needed, but your statement is dumb (not just because of your poor spelling).

strykes me as dumb too take this literralllyy oops...i can't seem to spell i shool have went too leehigh

Lehigh Football Nation
September 26th, 2017, 02:51 PM

Yale by 6.5 over Fordham

They must think Yale's going to win 51-46

TheValleyRaider
September 26th, 2017, 03:59 PM

Colgate- 317

Holy Cross- 265

That's a much bigger gap than I would have guessed

Go Green
September 26th, 2017, 04:04 PM

Perhaps so, but I'm still going with Holy Cross and the points. :)

Go...gate
September 26th, 2017, 04:24 PM
That's a much bigger gap than I would have guessed

Back in the day, there were many years when we played Cornell, Brown, Princeton and Yale every year and Columbia most years. Dartmouth periodically, too. The only Ivies we have played infrequently are Penn and Harvard.

Gangtackle11
September 26th, 2017, 05:32 PM
Holy Cross 41 Lafayette 14
Yale 31 Fordham 27
Harvard 34 Georgetown 14
Monmouth 24 Bucknell 10
Colgate 35 Cornell 14
Lehigh 49 Wagner 42

Last Week: 3-4 Season: 16-10

Bluefish845
September 26th, 2017, 06:29 PM
Holy Cross 41 Lafayette 14
Yale 31 Fordham 27
Harvard 34 Georgetown 14
Monmouth 24 Bucknell 10 this may be closer , Bucknell's punter is a huge weapon and the new Soph Qb is pretty good
Colgate 35 Cornell 14
Lehigh 49 Wagner 42

Sounds about right

Lehigh'98
September 26th, 2017, 07:01 PM
Went 6-1 last week going against the league. I'll try that again aside from HC simply because I have to choose one and they are the only team with a pulse so far.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 27th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Week 4 recaps, week 5 power rankings

http://thefcswedge.com/a-look-at-what-is-happening-around-the-country/patriot-league-week-4-recap-and-power-rankings/

Sader87
September 27th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Maintaining the "rubbing elbows with the Ivies" tradition must be a great therapy for alums as a diversion or distraction from reality,......as H.C.'s 39% admissions acceptance rate makes it almost the least competitive school in the P.L..( Who are H.C.'s peer schools today anyway ? ) It's kind of New England-Great Gatsby-esque, isn't it ? The "I.L. game" is almost like a prop that H.C. can roll out today. Don't worry, we'll go along with it for you 87 because we know how important your memories are for you to "keep it all together." ( But, really.....how did H.C. get this way ? Other N.E. schools are thriving. )

Believe me, it's discussed nearly daily on the HC message board.

Simple answer, Catholic schools are a tougher sell in this day and age for a host of reasons (if you aren't ND, GTown or BC anyway). "Holy Cross" obviously can sound like a very religious school to someone a little unfamiliar with it. And though it is, the religious aspect of the school (theology classes, going on retreats etc etc) can be taken or not taken for the most part at that student's discretion. The national trend for STEM academia has put HC behind the 8-ball to an extent being a liberal arts school with no specific "business" or "computer" majors. Again, HC continues to produce students who go into and thrive in those fields but to parents/students looking at a 60K/year price-tag, it may not resonate as well.

Countless other rationalizations....losing somewhat of our athletic brand (particularly in basketball where we were a Top 20 school some years before we declined a Big East invitation) hasn't helped with admissions as well.

Long story short, that's a big reason why HC has put a lot of emphasis on improving our athletics the last half decade or so (hiring of Nate Pine as AD, improvement in facilities. scheduling schools like BC, Syracuse etc in football etc)...to regain some of that lost "bloom on the rose" of HC's academic/athletic brand.

While I agree that scheduling the Ivies smacks somewhat of "social climbing," the alternative of playing non-Ivy FCS schools A, B and C instead of playing Harvard, Yale and Dartmouth is not an improvement in any way imo

Colgate Raider Redux
September 27th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Believe me, it's discussed nearly daily on the HC message board.

Simple answer, Catholic schools are a tougher sell in this day and age for a host of reasons (if you aren't ND, GTown or BC anyway). "Holy Cross" obviously can sound like a very religious school to someone a little unfamiliar with it. And though it is, the religious aspect of the school (theology classes, going on retreats etc etc) can be taken or not taken for the most part at that student's discretion. The national trend for STEM academia has put HC behind the 8-ball to an extent being a liberal arts school with no specific "business" or "computer" majors. Again, HC continues to produce students who go into and thrive in those fields but to parents/students looking at a 60K/year price-tag, it may not resonate as well.

Countless other rationalizations....losing somewhat of our athletic brand (particularly in basketball where we were a Top 20 school some years before we declined a Big East invitation) hasn't helped with admissions as well.

Long story short, that's a big reason why HC has put a lot of emphasis on improving our athletics the last half decade or so (hiring of Nate Pine as AD, improvement in facilities. scheduling schools like BC, Syracuse etc in football etc)...to regain some of that lost "bloom on the rose" of HC's academic/athletic brand.

While I agree that scheduling the Ivies smacks somewhat of "social climbing," the alternative of playing non-Ivy FCS schools A, B and C instead of playing Harvard, Yale and Dartmouth is not an improvement in any way imo

Your candid response is appreciated. I understand how the religious "perception" thing may have become a burden.. But, it's kind of a red herring if it's used to deflect inspection of some of the management/governance decisions that also seem responsible for the decline of the brand. Given the declining enrollment of high schools in Mass and New England and the evolving competitive environment for LAC's everywhere, some decisions seem almost inexplicable. Similar to letting athletic competitiveness atrophy over a couple of decades is the failure to diversify geographically. They both hurt the brand. And they both reflect a BOT/governance philosophy without any practical marketing sense.

GETTING BACK TO THE SUBJECT ON THIS THREAD.....I applaud Nate Pine's aggressiveness in scheduling the Ivies and other 'name" competition. In a practical sense it does prop up the H.C. brand more than most things the college can do in the short term. And that's achievable if H.C. can walk away with only .500 seasons. Take that to heart as you puff your chest about H.C. "regaining" prominence as an FCS football power. Who cares ? It's superficial relative to the larger issues of what justifies the school's $60m price tag today. H.C. has bigger fish to fry if it wants to solve its problems. In the broad public consciousness, playing these schools does differentiate H.C. from Sacred Heart and Fairfield even if H.C. does move closer to those schools in the minds of high school guidance counselors and parents of prospective students.

But your projection of a sense of entitlement because you're playing the "Ivies" doesn't fool anybody on this board. Nonetheless., your loyalty to alma mater is truly respected.

Sader87
September 27th, 2017, 11:15 AM
It's not a "sense of entitlement" in playing the Ivies in football, more of a sense of geographical, institutional and historical similarities in playing them (particularly the NE Ivies obviously).

HC is focused on expanding its geographical diversity of its student body...as this was emphasized as a concern in the last NEASC report.

For all of our "faults and failures" lately, HC is still doing a pretty good job:

https://www.holycross.edu/about-holy-cross/points-of-pride

van
September 27th, 2017, 02:57 PM
LAFAYETTE @ HOLY CROSS, easiest pick of the week

COLGATE @ Cornell, which gate shows?

Harvard @ GEORGETOWN, Hoyas can't score and Johnny can probably score a few

Yale @ FORDHAM, was impressed with Eli OL and DL and their coaches know how to scheme

Monmouth @ BUCKNELL, going out on a limb here, buffs D should make a game of this

LEHIGH @ Wagner, should be an easy win but probable won't be

15-11 on the year, not too good

DFW HOYA
September 27th, 2017, 10:57 PM
For all of our "faults and failures" lately, HC is still doing a pretty good job:

https://www.holycross.edu/about-holy-cross/points-of-pride

HC actually lists this on the page linked above:

"Holy Cross has been part of either the answer or question on "Jeopardy!" 11 times."

carney2
September 28th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Week 4 recaps, week 5 power rankings

http://thefcswedge.com/a-look-at-what-is-happening-around-the-country/patriot-league-week-4-recap-and-power-rankings/

Correction: The article says that Lafayette won last year's game vs. Holy Cross in Easton by a 38-28 score. The stated score is correct. The winner isn't. Holy Cross won behind, I believe, a 3rd string QB. This caused the pitchforks in Easton to be taken to the blacksmith for a mass sharpening.

cx500d
September 28th, 2017, 09:30 AM
HOLY CROSS
Cornell
Harvard
Yale
Monmouth
LEHIGH

Lehigh Football Nation
September 28th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Lehigh At Wagner Game Preview: Two Teams Battling Their Own Curses

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/09/lehigh-at-wagner-game-preview-two-teams.html

Sader87
September 28th, 2017, 05:16 PM
HC actually lists this on the page linked above:

"Holy Cross has been part of either the answer or question on "Jeopardy!" 11 times."

Impressive....no? xdrunkyx

DFW HOYA
September 28th, 2017, 05:52 PM
Impressive....no? xdrunkyx

This would have been even better:

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/images/hc_2017.gif

Sader87
September 28th, 2017, 10:38 PM
lol....well done.....we bitch about it a lot here (and amongst ourselves) but I don't think many outside of Holy Cross know/realize how badly we've screwed up our basketball and football programs in the last 30-40 years.

I know many other schools can bitch, moan and complain, but Holy Cross went from a school/program that was a Top 20 hoop program in the 1970s, a football team that was on top of the FCS/1-AA world in the 1980s and basically "self-squandered" that to become more like (no offense) Bucknell or Lafayette.

In the light of the latest hoop scandals, maybe Fr Brooks was right.....but it's been very frustrating to follow HC football/basketball from say 1990 on knowing we could have been so much more successful if we had chosen another tack athletically.

Colgate Raider Redux
September 29th, 2017, 01:01 AM
lol..

1. "self-squandered" that to become more like (no offense) Bucknell

2. if we had chosen another tack athletically.

1. H.C. ( perhaps not you ) would love to be anything like " no offense " Bucknell, athletically and academically. If it was, H.C. wouldn't have had to pay the big bucks 4 years ago to get a real professionally trained college A.D. ( to replace the traditional H.C. in-bred "tenured"-administrator--in this case a bean counter ). The new A.D's charge was to become proactive rather than continuing Fr. Brooks attitude toward athletics as "bread and circuses" unbecoming a serious institution like H.C..The objective was now to harmonize H.C.'s mission with success in Div. I athletics. The TPTB bought the new A.D.'s "schtick" that H.C.'s visibiity and the perception of its brand could improve thru improved athletic performance. The hope was that this would help move the Crusader's "39% --no tests required" acceptance rate into more respectable territory among LAC's generally. It's important to note that inertia to adapt to a range of changes impacting H.C. was as significant as sustaining Fr. Brook's philosophy after his time and declining B.E.'s invitation for H.C. to join the league. Therefore, without its own strategy, No offense" Bucknell would have been a likely school for H.C. to emulate during its conversations with the new A.D... The operating concern of TPTB was not only H.C. losing athletically to P.L. and other institutions on a regular basis. But, that these institutions were also becoming more academically selective than H.C.. Your condescension to Bucknell is simply your fantasy that H.C.. is perceived more favorably because of decades old "athletic lore," which is lodged in your memory, not the public's. This is nothing short of bizarre for an adult. And it's certainly not consistent with the aspirations of H.C.'s leaders....Is it H.C. or you that is confused about H.C.'s mission and history ?

2. The decades long decisions in between declining the one-off invitation to join the B.E. and the hiring of the new A.D. was the "athletic track" overseen by your leadership. Not the one-off decision to not join the B.E., as you portray it. Are you confusing decades long indecision, inability to adapt or consistent bad decisions with one-off "self-squandering ?" Your revisionist folk history, while providing some therapy for you, is really childish and a distortion of the facts. Who knows what H.C. could have become ? Your repetitive rendition is not becoming to H.C. or to you.

Accept what H.C. is today. Move on!

The Boogie Down
September 29th, 2017, 09:20 AM
1. H.C. ( perhaps not you ) would love to be anything like " no offense " Bucknell, athletically and academically. If it was, H.C. wouldn't have had to pay the big bucks 4 years ago to get a real professionally trained college A.D. ( to replace the traditional H.C. in-bred "tenured"-administrator--in this case a bean counter ) to try to harmonize H.C.'s mission with the reality of playing Div. I athletics. The "schtick" the new A.D. sold to TPTB is that via improved athletics, H.C.'s brand would improve-H.C.'s larger concern. And thereby move the Crusader's "39% --no tests required" acceptance rate into more respectable territory among LAC's generally. . " No offense" Bucknell would have been a likely school to emulate during this conversation. The operating concern was not only H.C. losing athletically to P.L. and other institutions on a regular basis. But, that these institutions were becoming more academically selective than H.C... Is it H.C. or you that is confused about H.C.'s mission ?

2. The decades long decisions between declining the one-off invitation to join the B.E. and the hiring of the new A.D. was the "athletic track" overseen by your leadership. Not the one-off decision to not join the B.E., as you portray it. Are you confusing decades long indecision or a series of bad decisions with one-off "self-squandering ?" Your revisionist folk history, while providing some therapy for you, is really childish and a distortion of the facts. Who knows what H.C. could have become ? Your repetitive rendition is not becoming to H.C. or to you.

Ridiculous.

Sandlapper Spike
September 29th, 2017, 09:49 AM
LAFAYETTE @ HOLY CROSS
COLGATE @ Cornell
Harvard @ GEORGETOWN
Yale @ FORDHAM
Monmouth @ BUCKNELL
LEHIGH @ Wagner

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2017, 09:51 AM
Wagner Game Breakdown and Fearless Prediction:

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/09/lehigh-at-wagner-game-breakdown-and.html

Lehigh'98
September 29th, 2017, 10:26 AM
LAFAYETTE @ HOLY CROSS
COLGATE @ Cornell
Harvard @ GEORGETOWN
Yale @ FORDHAM
Monmouth @ BUCKNELL
LEHIGH @ Wagner

You haven't been paying much attention to the PL this year judging by your picks.

Sader87
September 29th, 2017, 01:17 PM
1. H.C. ( perhaps not you ) would love to be anything like " no offense " Bucknell, athletically and academically. If it was, H.C. wouldn't have had to pay the big bucks 4 years ago to get a real professionally trained college A.D. ( to replace the traditional H.C. in-bred "tenured"-administrator--in this case a bean counter ) to try to harmonize H.C.'s mission with the reality of playing Div. I athletics. The "schtick" the new A.D. sold to TPTB is that via improved athletics, H.C.'s brand would improve-H.C.'s larger concern. And thereby move the Crusader's "39% --no tests required" acceptance rate into more respectable territory among LAC's generally. " No offense" Bucknell would have been a likely school to emulate during this conversation. The operating concern of TPTB was not only H.C. losing athletically to P.L. and other institutions on a regular basis. But, that these institutions were becoming more academically selective than H.C. Your condescension to Bucknell is simply a fantasy of how H.C.. differentiates itself today in the publlc mind because of decades old "athletic lore" lodged only in your memory. This is not only inaccurate, it's nothing short of bizarre for an adult. And it's certainly not consistent with H.C.'s leaders....Is it H.C. or you that is confused about H.C.'s history and mission ?

2. The decades long decisions in between declining the one-off invitation to join the B.E. and the hiring of the new A.D. was the "athletic track" overseen by your leadership. Not the one-off decision to not join the B.E., as you portray it. Are you confusing decades long indecision or a series of bad decisions with one-off "self-squandering ?" Your revisionist folk history, while providing some therapy for you, is really childish and a distortion of the facts. Who knows what H.C. could have become ? Your repetitive rendition is not becoming to H.C. or to you.

Not sure what your beef with HC is....and I was not being condescending to either Bucknell or Lafayette (or any other PL institution). Simply that HC (athletically anyway) had always had more historic ties (athletically and institutionally) with schools like BC, Fordham, Villanova etc not Bucknell, Lafayette or Lehigh. Joining the PL basically altered our athletic identity...maybe it was for the bettah in general but you can't say with a straight face that it has helped Holy Cross in either football or basketball ovah the last 30 years.

Leopard Loyalist
September 29th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Not sure what your beef with HC is....and I was not being condescending to either Bucknell or Lafayette (or any other PL institution). Simply that HC (athletically anyway) had always had more historic ties (athletically and institutionally) with schools like BC, Fordham, Villanova etc not Bucknell, Lafayette or Lehigh. Joining the PL basically altered our athletic identity...maybe it was for the bettah in general but you can't say with a straight face that it has helped Holy Cross in either football or basketball ovah the last 30 years.

HC had an entirely different set of geographical and theological affiliations than did the core members of the Patriot League. It is understandable that so many in Worcester found the change to the PL hard to swallow. But we are talking 30 years ago now, and casting aside geography and theology, I think most would agree that HC fits in well with its PL compatriots.

Bill
September 29th, 2017, 03:43 PM
I'm back - and wished I had a bag like the unknown comic.
No scores here - just winners and losers this week:

LAFAYETTE @ HOLY CROSS
COLGATE @ Cornell
Harvard @ GEORGETOWN
Yale @ FORDHAM
Monmouth @ BUCKNELL
LEHIGH @ Wagner

Uggh.

Leopard Loyalist
September 29th, 2017, 04:40 PM
LAFAYETTE @ HOLY CROSS
COLGATE @ Cornell
Harvard @ GEORGETOWN
Yale @ FORDHAM
Monmouth @ BUCKNELL
LEHIGH @ Wagner

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2017, 05:29 PM
Lehigh at Wagner Media Pack (with video): Mountain Hawks Aren't Panicking Over Winless Start

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/09/lehigh-at-wagner-media-pack-w-video.html

Go...gate
September 29th, 2017, 06:31 PM

You have historic ties with Colgate, too.

ngineer
September 29th, 2017, 07:00 PM
Wagner Game Breakdown and Fearless Prediction:

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/09/lehigh-at-wagner-game-breakdown-and.html

Pretty well mapped out. Wagner will try to pound, pound and pound. One, because they have lost their QB, but two, because long drives keep Mayes and Company off the field. Gotta believe Lehigh will continue to put up points, especially with Wagner running a man-to-man defense. That has to open up some big pass play opportunities for Lehigh's star WR's. Wagner is one of the last bastions of 'traditional' football, where the offense lines up with QB under center and and "I" or Split-T backfield. Lehigh should be packing 8 in the box and challenge the Seahawks to throw. Lehigh has yet to get an interception this year. Now is the time to come forward with a good pass rush to force an inexperienced QB into mistakes. Lehigh 45-34.

RichH2
September 29th, 2017, 07:52 PM
OK. Thank God for the end of this year's OOC.
CROSS
GATE
HARVARD
YALE caveat here is does Edmonds get on the field.
Monmouth
LEHIGH

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 29th, 2017, 09:52 PM
HC - easily
Colgate - barely
Harvard - easily
Yale - by 2 scores
Monmouth - by 2 scores
Lehigh - by 2 scores

citdog
September 29th, 2017, 09:59 PM
Shouldn't y'all quit this seeing as how your champion is nothing but a 5 touchdown LOSER to whomever they draw in the playoffs???

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2017, 10:06 PM
Cross - big
Gate - close
Harvard - low-scoring
Yale - they know a sieve when they see one
Monmouth - underrated
Lehigh - finally

Go...gate
September 29th, 2017, 10:27 PM
Holy Cross 35, Lafayette 14

Colgate 24, Cornell 20

Harvard 27, Georgetown 13

Yale 44, Fordham 33

Bucknell 17, Monmouth 16

Lehigh 42, Wagner 38

Bonus Picks:

Princeton 31, Columbia 23

Hun School 38, Friendship Collegiate Academy 28

Go...gate
September 29th, 2017, 10:29 PM
Shouldn't y'all quit this seeing as how your champion is nothing but a 5 touchdown LOSER to whomever they draw in the playoffs???

We're inspiring all potential opponents to be overconfident.

Sader87
September 29th, 2017, 11:53 PM

Not many care about the playoffs...

cx500d
September 29th, 2017, 11:53 PM

That appears obvious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go...gate
September 30th, 2017, 01:38 AM

Sader87, that may be your opinion, but I doubt that applies to the strong majority of PL football fans.

cx500d
September 30th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Sader87, that may be your opinion, but I doubt that applies to the strong majority of PL football fans.

Good, I was afraid you wanted to be like the ivies and just play with yourselves... The bigger the FCS pool the better.

Lehigh'98
September 30th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Good, I was afraid you wanted to be like the ivies and just play with yourselves... The bigger the FCS pool the better.

We have several issues in the league now. Wanting to compete in the playoffs is not one. Coaching, recruiting big time players, administration support, no redshirting and the AI are real issues.

KPSUL
September 30th, 2017, 12:02 PM

As I recall, that 2014 Mountain Hawk team was a pretty good team offensively too. UNH ran all over them in the 1st half, but Lehigh held there own in the 2nd half - and that was one of the top 3 UNH teams ever. We beat many of our conference opponents, and cross state rival Dartmouth more handily than we did Lehigh in 2014.

KPSUL
September 30th, 2017, 12:04 PM
We're inspiring all potential opponents to be overconfident.

That strategy worked pretty well for Colgate in 2015.

KPSUL
September 30th, 2017, 12:09 PM
I'm back - and wished I had a bag like the unknown comic.

Uggh.

I'll let you borrow this one, but I'll need it back in the unlikely event UNH losses to Bryant.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26196&stc=1

TheValleyRaider
September 30th, 2017, 12:59 PM
Colgate 0
Cornell 0
End 1st

Slugfest so far. Cornell has a missed FG, otherwise neither offense has looked particularly good. Too much of the game being played on our end of the field, though. Need to flip that field

TheValleyRaider
September 30th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Colgate 14
Cornell 0
Halftime

That's more like it. Offense finally opened up a bit, picking up yards through the air. Mostly held off the Red, though they were able to get a few yards right before the half. Cornell gets the ball to start the 2nd half

cx500d
September 30th, 2017, 01:48 PM
Colgate 14
Cornell 0
Halftime

That's more like it. Offense finally opened up a bit, picking up yards through the air. Mostly held off the Red, though they were able to get a few yards right before the half. Cornell gets the ball to start the 2nd half

Keep after them!

LehighU11
September 30th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Are HC and Lafayette really tied at 7 entering the 4th quarter in Woostah?! 3 turnovers and -11 yards rushing for LC, no turnovers for the Crusaders who have 122 more net yards...how is this even remotely close? I had some hope for Holy Cross this year, but it appears that the League is truly dismal all-around.

Franks Tanks
September 30th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Are HC and Lafayette really tied at 7 entering the 4th quarter in Woostah?! 3 turnovers and -11 yards rushing for LC, no turnovers for the Crusaders who have 122 more net yards...how is this even remotely close? I had some hope for Holy Cross this year, but it appears that the League is truly dismal all-around.

122 yard differential isn't all that huge.

Holy Cross isn't very good either. If the Pards had any semblance of an offense they would win this game.

TheValleyRaider
September 30th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Colgate 14
Cornell 7
End 3rd

Red scored late in the quarter to get on the board, and promptly kicked-off out of bounds. Colgate has driven fairly deep so far, looking for a score to extend the lead. Sloppy game so far, particularly from Cornell, as they have really hurt themselves with penalties. Gotta finish this one off.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Lafayette is going to win this game. It's 7-7 with 5:43 left in the game, but the Leopards are going to win.

DFW HOYA
September 30th, 2017, 02:36 PM
As bad a first half as Georgetown has played in a decade, and that's saying something.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2017, 02:42 PM
HC 4th and 1 at their own 33. Gilmore goes for it... and they don't get it.

1:43 left at the HC 33, Lafayette has the ball.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Touchdown, Samford!

Oops, wrong thread

cx500d
September 30th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Touchdown, Samford!

Oops, wrong thread

That sounds about right

LehighU11
September 30th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Strange times we live in. Lafayette is 1-4 and in 1st place in the Patriot League, Lehigh is winless, and Columbia is undefeated and atop the Ivy League. Lions could probably beat every single PL team. So much for scholarships.

RichH2
September 30th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Congrats to Pards. 10-7. Wow.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 30th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Wow what a win for Lafayette!!

But the story has to be HC's collapse since UNH.

TheValleyRaider
September 30th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Colgate 21
Cornell 7
Final

Raiders scored early in the quarter, and that was effectively the game. 3 picks in the 4th quarter snuffed out several drives, and Colgate finished off the 99th meeting with a win.

Some good moments, but still not enough consistency, especially on offense. Particularly not great on 3rd down, too many stopped drives. Will definitely need to keep improving with the matchups to come. Records be darned, Lehigh can move the ball, and it will take a better effort to get the win.

CFBfan
September 30th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Wow what a win for Lafayette!!

But the story has to be HC's collapse since UNH.

time to send gilmore packing

cx500d
September 30th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Colgate 21
Cornell 7
Final

Raiders scored early in the quarter, and that was effectively the game. 3 picks in the 4th quarter snuffed out several drives, and Colgate finished off the 99th meeting with a win.

Some good moments, but still not enough consistency, especially on offense. Particularly not great on 3rd down, too many stopped drives. Will definitely need to keep improving with the matchups to come. Records be darned, Lehigh can move the ball, and it will take a better effort to get the win.

Good job Gate!

Lehigh'98
September 30th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Holy Cross just being Holy Cross. Zero consistency. Bucknell might be the best team in the league this year.

carney2
September 30th, 2017, 03:16 PM

Gilmore demonstrates once again that you will never meet a football coach at a MENSA meeting.

LehighU11
September 30th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Gilmore demonstrates once again that you will never meet a football coach at a MENSA meeting.
I recall hearing Marv Levy was a member of MENSA. Too bad he never won a Super Bowl.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 30th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Colgate 21
Cornell 7
Final

Nice win by Colgate! Rivarly road games are never easy! Hopefully Lehigh wins tonight so next week's game has some juice!

Sader87
September 30th, 2017, 05:02 PM
In a way, I'm almost glad we lost (and in the mannah we did)....no way Pine can retain him now.

The school has been in need of a new coach/new attitude for awhile now...the Gilmore-era at HC effectively ended today.

Go...gate
September 30th, 2017, 05:11 PM
So far, not a vintage year for the Patriot League, but there is still a lot of football to be played and the conference season still lays ahead.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 30th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Which defense will embarrass themselve's more tonight? Lehigh's or Fordham's?

cx500d
September 30th, 2017, 05:32 PM

Yes.

citdog
September 30th, 2017, 05:37 PM

Probably le high. They were "top ten" in your view preseason....

Pard4Life
September 30th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Lafayette won a game before Lehigh.... 😵

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 30th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Wagner 17 Lehigh 14 3:16 2Q

Yale 21 Fordham 3 10:37 2Q

Southsider
September 30th, 2017, 06:24 PM
LU offense has no creativity. Getting boring to watch. Our local HS teams have more diverse O's

RichH2
September 30th, 2017, 06:25 PM
LU offense has no creativity. Getting boring to watch. Our local HS teams have more diverse O's

The winds likely have something to do with it. Gusty and swirling.

CFBfan
September 30th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Holy Cross just being Holy Cross. Zero consistency. Bucknell might be the best team in the league this year.

well the bison are down 21 - 6 at the half

Southsider
September 30th, 2017, 06:29 PM
Doubt it R2. It's the same stuff we see every week. No 2 back sets, no TE passes, no screens etc. wind has nothing to do with it. Really is time for overhaul.

CFBfan
September 30th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Doubt it R2. It's the same stuff we see every week. No 2 back sets, no TE passes, no screens etc. wind has nothing to do with it. Really is time for overhaul.

+1

van
September 30th, 2017, 06:36 PM

those sets work if you throw to the open receivers

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2017, 06:53 PM
How can Lehigh's defense be so bat**** awful every week coming out in the second half?

PAllen
September 30th, 2017, 06:55 PM
The winds likely have something to do with it. Gusty and swirling.

Nope, it's been this way all season.

PAllen
September 30th, 2017, 06:57 PM
well the bison are down 21 - 6 at the half

Still might be the best team in the league.

- - - Updated - - -

So, does Andy even make it til the end of the season? Or is it just not worth it to make a move at this point.

Pard4Life
September 30th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Surprise of the day: St Francis PA 13 @ Liberty 0, late 3rd

UNHWildcat18
September 30th, 2017, 07:21 PM
I hate holy cross so much right now.

PAllen
September 30th, 2017, 07:36 PM
I'm done. Can't even coach the special teams kid to get the kick catch interference call by stepping up to field the fair catch after he was bumped. I've seen better coaching out of small time high school JV staffs.

Go...gate
September 30th, 2017, 07:44 PM
Seriously, what has happened to Lehigh? That they may start 0-5 is unimaginable.

Lehigh'98
September 30th, 2017, 07:49 PM
Seriously, what has happened to Lehigh? That they may start 0-5 is unimaginable.

Seems like a combination of things, but mainly poor decisions from Andy the past 4 years paying dividends now.

Southsider
September 30th, 2017, 07:51 PM

Simple, they let the staff in place far too long. I have never seen such a soft LU team. Whitehead is surely rolling in his grave. Very sad state of affairs for this program. And, pretty much for PL. When the NEC starts pasting your ass you have really hit bottom!

van
September 30th, 2017, 07:58 PM
good high school team could have given us a game tonight

Southsider
September 30th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Almost forgot. Congrats Pard's. you guys gutted one out. Never quit!!

Franks Tanks
September 30th, 2017, 08:26 PM
good high school team could have given us a game tonight

Andy Coen is a mediocre at best, and I've been saying it for years. He was propped up by Folmar and Chick and and that old man DC for years. It was similar to Frank Tavani being supported by excellent assistants like Bob Heffner and John Loose. How is it possible that Andy and Frank kept their jobs for so long?

In any event I hope Andy sticks around for a while.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 30th, 2017, 08:36 PM
What a horrible loss! The worst i can remember! Sterrett cares too much about football to allow this to linger imo.

LehighU11
September 30th, 2017, 08:40 PM
Andy Coen is a mediocre at best, and I've been saying it for years. He was propped up by Folmar and Chick and and that old man DC for years. It was similar to Frank Tavani being supported by excellent assistants like Bob Heffner and John Loose. How is it possible that Andy and Frank kept their jobs for so long?

In any event I hope Andy sticks around for a while.

Yep, I figured that Chris Lum, Cecchini, and Kotulski (now the DC at Vanderbilt) saved Coen in 2010.

Doc QB
September 30th, 2017, 08:44 PM
Simple, they let the staff in place far too long. I have never seen such a soft LU team. Whitehead is surely rolling in his grave. Very sad state of affairs for this program. And, pretty much for PL. When the NEC starts pasting your ass you have really hit bottom!

Total team loss tonite, all phases. NEC has passed us by. I don't care about AI, resdshirting, etc. We have mostly PL coaching lifers on each staff predominantly at each school, w no experience recruiting and developing higher level talent. We get a few, sure, some sleepers I guess. We must not be evaluating talent well at LU, and maybe can't...most of our staff is career D3 coaches, which unless u were the HC, OC or DC, u were a PART TIME coach. And it is showing weekly.

Southsider
September 30th, 2017, 08:47 PM
What a horrible loss! The worst i can remember! Sterrett cares too much about football to allow this to linger imo.

Actually Owl, I think Joe just riding it out. Otherwise he would have pulled plug a few years ago. Bottom line, LU admin probably doesn't have the stomach for highly competitive sports. Sadly.

Sader87
September 30th, 2017, 09:01 PM
The league is just an absolute dumpstah fire right now.....programs that don't care about football (Georgetown and Bucknell) or have serious coaching and/or institutional issues (basically everybody else).

I'll give you maybe Colgate is not a total mess right now....every other program is in complete disarray (HC, Fordham and Lehigh) or just starting to turn things around (Lafayette).

Lot of soul searching is needed in the Patriot League.

Fordham
September 30th, 2017, 09:07 PM
Lafayette is going to win this game. It's 7-7 with 5:43 left in the game, but the Leopards are going to win.

<golf clap>

Sader87
September 30th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Lafayette is going to win this game. It's 7-7 with 5:43 left in the game, but Gilmore will find a way to lose this for HC.

FIFY xdrunkyx

hawkineer
September 30th, 2017, 09:12 PM
Actually Owl, I think Joe just riding it out. Otherwise he would have pulled plug a few years ago. Bottom line, LU admin probably doesn't have the stomach for highly competitive sports. Sadly.
Well if that is true, I guess that I am going to have to reconsider my annual contributions to the Athletic Partnership. I have always consider them as an investment in developing successful, competitive sports and not as a donation to mediocrity. Perhaps, I'll just target my contributions to the wrestling program which seems fully focused on being a highly competitive national sport.

Neighbor2
September 30th, 2017, 09:13 PM
There is NO value whatsoever in keeping this Lehigh coaching staff around for 2018.

Pard4Life
September 30th, 2017, 09:18 PM
Pards win over Lehigh would seal Cohen'a fate.

This is on track to be the worst quality Rivalry game since the 100th.

Colgate Raider Redux
September 30th, 2017, 09:53 PM
The league is just an absolute dumpstah fire right now.....programs that don't care about football (Georgetown and Bucknell) or have serious coaching and/or institutional issues (basically everybody else).

I'll give you maybe Colgate is not a total mess right now....every other program is in complete disarray (HC, Fordham and Lehigh) or just starting to turn things around (Lafayette).

Here's some soul searching for you.

It's safe to say that the PL competitive performance in the o.o.c.part of the season is as bad as I've ever seen. I agree with that statement.

Some P.L. schools are experiencing similar issues in distinct components of their "FB Programs." It's presumptuous, however, to say that "every other PROGRAM is in complete disarray,...absolute dumpstah fire right now" just because you have an impression of some schools having similar problems in distinct components of their Programs.

How could you know that "Colgate is not a total mess right now ?"

Sader87
September 30th, 2017, 09:55 PM
English, please

DFW HOYA
September 30th, 2017, 09:56 PM
Is any coach safe in the Patriot League after today? After some of these scores, they shouldn't be.

Sader87
September 30th, 2017, 10:01 PM
Gilmore should be fired tomorrow...of course he won't be.

I'll say this though....he is on the last nerve of whatevah remaining fanbase HC has at this point. If he isn't fired after this year (outside of running the table in the PL), you'll see donations drop/even less people going to Fitton etc.....he really has to go at this point...it's getting to the point of embarrassing.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 30th, 2017, 10:54 PM

Coen hasn't performed badly enough the last 7 years to fire him. They bounced back on 2015 after the disaster that was '14. This year though is beyond explination!

I cared enough to follow the game while at the ND-Miami(Oh) game. I think the AD cares quite a bit himself. No reason this wont turn around. Lehigh sports is quite competitive across the board. This isn't Lafayette!...

DFW HOYA
September 30th, 2017, 11:00 PM
I've seen a lot of bad Georgetown football over the years but today's game was the worst since Lehigh in 2002.

This team has lost 11 of its last 12 with no end in sight, and no talent on offense to change that course.

hawkineer
September 30th, 2017, 11:04 PM
I've seen a lot of bad Georgetown football over the years but today's game was the worst since Lehigh in 2002.

This team has lost 11 of its last 12 with no end in sight, and no talent on offense to change that course.
The end may just two short weeks away!

DFW HOYA
September 30th, 2017, 11:09 PM
The end may just two short weeks away!

I think Lehigh may be a sure pick at this point.

PAllen
September 30th, 2017, 11:14 PM
Coen hasn't performed badly enough the last 7 years to fire him. They bounced back on 2015 after the disaster that was '14. This year though is beyond explination!

I cared enough to follow the game while at the ND-Miami(Oh) game. I think the AD cares quite a bit himself. No reason this wont turn around. Lehigh sports is quite competitive across the board. This isn't Lafayette!...

Certainly won't turn around this season. Even running undefeated through the PL and getting plastered in the first round of the playoffs should not be considered a successful season this year. There is no reason to expect much better from next year. If Andy is not gone by the end of this season, then Joe should be gone by the end of the school year. I haven't seen a Lehigh team play this poorly. That makes this the worst Lehigh team in at least 30 years. That's historically bad. It's clearly the coaching, you can see it on the field. All that and you had some of the top offensive talent in the country returning? That gets people fired.

Sader87
September 30th, 2017, 11:22 PM
Gilmore has a 5th year QB and other 5th years and lost to a 0-3 Lafayette {which lost to Villanova 59-0) at home on Homecoming....just sayin'

ngineer
September 30th, 2017, 11:41 PM

1:43 left at the HC 33, Lafayette has the ball.
What was Gilmore thinking??!!! UFR!

ngineer
October 1st, 2017, 12:00 AM
After rolling in from Staten Island, I vented on Lehigh's forum board, and have enjoyed the 'give and take' in review. I just shake my head at this stage. Lehigh continues to find ways to lose ball games with such stupid ass mistakes, which to me reflects lack of focus and intensity. We don't seem to have an aggressiveness that is required to be a good football team. We are getting pushed around up front and our LBs are undersized. Again, very little pressure on Wagner's second string QB tonight. Mayes was sacked and hounded all night, which lead directly to some of his INTs. Not catching the one kickoff is mind-numbing. How can any college player not realize that had to be caught and, if not, that it was a free ball?! People standing around waiting for someone else to do something. With the dumpster fire that the PL is , I will not be shocked to see Lehigh actually win out. I also won't be shocked if we enter #153 with only one win (sorry Hoyas). I do agree with an earlier comment that the lack of experienced coaching is hurting Lehigh and maybe other PL schools. The staff is predominately D3 guys who were assistants and not ready for "prime time". That "attitude" required to be successful at this level is not present at D3 schools. This league needs to decide if it really wants to try and compete with the FCS playoff schools, or just focus on playing the IL and come up with a trophy for a year end winner between the two league champions. But it is becoming evident the PL is falling further behind the other scholarship programs despite our institution of them a few years ago. A very disconcerting day. Wrestle-offs are only 26 days away!

RichH2
October 1st, 2017, 05:48 AM
After rolling in from Staten Island, I vented on Lehigh's forum board, and have enjoyed the 'give and take' in review. I just shake my head at this stage. Lehigh continues to find ways to lose ball games with such stupid ass mistakes, which to me reflects lack of focus and intensity. We don't seem to have an aggressiveness that is required to be a good football team. We are getting pushed around up front and our LBs are undersized. Again, very little pressure on Wagner's second string QB tonight. Mayes was sacked and hounded all night, which lead directly to some of his INTs. Not catching the one kickoff is mind-numbing. How can any college player not realize that had to be caught and, if not, that it was a free ball?! People standing around waiting for someone else to do something. With the dumpster fire that the PL is , I will not be shocked to see Lehigh actually win out. I also won't be shocked if we enter #153 with only one win (sorry Hoyas). I do agree with an earlier comment that the lack of experienced coaching is hurting Lehigh and maybe other PL schools. The staff is predominately D3 guys who were assistants and not ready for "prime time". That "attitude" required to be successful at this level is not present at D3 schools. This league needs to decide if it really wants to try and compete with the FCS playoff schools, or just focus on playing the IL and come up with a trophy for a year end winner between the two league champions. But it is becoming evident the PL is falling further behind the other scholarship programs despite our institution of them a few years ago. A very disconcerting day. Wrestle-offs are only 26 days away!

+1
A repeat of our same issue on D. Big plays. Dont think it is D3 background by staff on D as much as DC's inexperience. Their responsibility to fix mistakes . They havent. Players clearly are not getting the message. Burden on staff to keep altering teaching methods to find ones that work. If they cant get new assts.
Cant give Mayes a total pass. OL again not picking up blitzes. OK on run game which Brisson should have leandd on more. Mayes was harrassed but he made enough bad throws all on his own. A true fiasco. 0-5. Mind boggling

The Boogie Down
October 1st, 2017, 06:26 AM
Greatest "Misery Loves Company" thread ever?

Southsider
October 1st, 2017, 06:28 AM

Sorry Owl, can't agree. This is the teams 3rd o and something start in his 12 seasons. And he is now responsible for the worst D in school history. Can't defend him any longer. Let the overhaul begin!

Lehigh'98
October 1st, 2017, 06:34 AM
Greatest "Misery Loves Company" thread ever?

Lost in all this Lehigh pitchforking is Fordham is having a ridiculously terrible season as well. Cheer up though, league play is starting. Someone has to win a few.

The Boogie Down
October 1st, 2017, 06:47 AM
Lost in all this Lehigh pitchforking is Fordham is having a ridiculously terrible season as well.

However bad you guys think yous have it, remember, we're giving up an average of 47.4 points per. Again, that's the average!

Cheer up though, league play is starting. Someone has to win a few.

If it ain't Colgate (and who knows, maybe even if it is) that auto-bid should be rescinded.

CHIP72
October 1st, 2017, 06:51 AM
However bad you guys think yous have it, remember, we're giving up an average of 47.4 points per. Again, that's the average!

Yeah, but Lehigh has given up an average of 60.5 points per game against Ivy League teams!

CHIP72
October 1st, 2017, 06:55 AM

Actually, the thing that Lehigh needs to search for is that defense that went missing somewhere in New Hampshire last November. Maybe sides of milk cartons would help.

The Boogie Down
October 1st, 2017, 07:09 AM
Yeah, but Lehigh has given up an average of 60.5 points per game against Ivy League teams!

Looking forward to our "Movable Object vs. Stoppable Force" showdown.

CHIP72
October 1st, 2017, 07:26 AM

No, that would be Lehigh's and Fordham's games with Georgetown (specifically the Lehigh or Fordham defense vs. the Georgetown offense).

CFBfan
October 1st, 2017, 07:30 AM
LU, HC, BU & FU all need new coaches clearly not one of them knows how to recruit and coach D1 scholarship players and teams
LC made the move, the jury is still on Gate and the Hoyas are not a part of this conversation

CFBfan
October 1st, 2017, 07:34 AM
the pl is now a combined 9 - 25 wow!

CFBfan
October 1st, 2017, 07:37 AM

If it ain't Colgate (and who knows, maybe even if it is) that auto-bid should be rescinded.

karefull, a LU postter doesn't like thiss. he also likes to spell check

Gate83
October 1st, 2017, 07:53 AM

Given our schedule, coming into the season if you had told me we'd be 2-3 OOC while playing a freshman at qb I would have signed up in a heartbeat. Afriyie is back, if the qb progresses, who knows? Let's not rescind that auto bid just yet!

The Boogie Down
October 1st, 2017, 08:02 AM
karefull, a LU postter doesn't like thiss. he also likes to spell check

Yeah, I saw that earlier. Ehhh, oh well, guess sometimes posters are in too salty of a mood for jokes. But when you've been as disappointing as Lehigh/Fordham, can ya blame 'im?

All jokes aside tho, as a Fordham fan, yeah, of course I'd love making the playoffs. But as a PL fan, no one except Gate is deserving of the post season this year. Even Gate wouldn't be deserving if they later manage to lose more than 1 league game against this current collection of clowns.

PAllen
October 1st, 2017, 08:05 AM

We're giving up 48.4 and we didn't play an FBS school.

The Boogie Down
October 1st, 2017, 08:17 AM
We're giving up 48.4 and we didn't play an FBS school.

Realistically, we never showed up to play an FBS school either :D

Lehigh'98
October 1st, 2017, 08:47 AM
[/B]karefull, a LU postter doesn't like thiss. he also likes to spell check

The king of sarcasm. Could this be the year we see a 4-7 team in the playoffs?

TheValleyRaider
October 1st, 2017, 09:34 AM

Free preview on Saturday when Colgate's offense faces Lehigh's defense :p

PAllen
October 1st, 2017, 10:16 AM

at this rate I wouldn't be shocked by us sending a 3-8 representative.

DFW HOYA
October 1st, 2017, 10:27 AM
As of week five, number of points scored by Georgetown in the first half this season: Five.

UNHWildcat18
October 1st, 2017, 10:29 AM
Gilmore has a 5th year QB and other 5th years and lost to a 0-3 Lafayette {which lost to Villanova 59-0) at home on Homecoming....just sayin'
Holy Cross losing to Lafayette has to be the most embarrassing loss of the season for any PL team IMO. I truly don't understand how you guys go on to lose to Darthmouth( who could win the IVY so thats okay!) and then lose to a team thats probably one of the top 10-15 worst teams in the FCS. I hate Gilmore almost as much as you do right now.

CFBfan
October 1st, 2017, 11:40 AM

i think LC was the last PL champ with a losing record?

PAllen
October 1st, 2017, 12:17 PM
i think LC was the last PL champ with a losing record?

And they have the inside track at being one again.

Go...gate
October 1st, 2017, 04:06 PM
Dan Hunt deserves a pass for all kinds of reasons, but here is one more big one.

He lost his father this week and still buckled down and coached Colgate to a road victory against an arch-rival.

He's not on the hot seat in Hamilton, so let's leave him alone.

Go...gate
October 1st, 2017, 05:11 PM
Have to say that I am perplexed at what has happened at Fordham. That team has talent - sounds like the new coach may not be up to the job.

RichH2
October 1st, 2017, 08:06 PM
Have to say that I am perplexed at what has happened at Fordham. That team has talent - sounds like the new coach may not be up to the job.

May well be the same tale at Lehigh.

Pards Rule
October 1st, 2017, 08:23 PM
Is any coach safe in the Patriot League after today? After some of these scores, they shouldn't be.

Who gets fired first, Coen or Gilmore. Garrett is brand new. No termination there.

PAllen
October 1st, 2017, 10:32 PM
Who gets fired first, Coen or Gilmore. Garrett is brand new. No termination there.

I hope Coen and soon. Plus Gilmore has the UConn and UNH games. Coen's got... well.

Sader87
October 2nd, 2017, 09:49 AM
Argument could be made the other way too. Given both Coen's and Gilmore's body of work ovah the scholarship-era, who is more deserving of dismissal? Gilmore imo. Gilmore will probably be fired after this season unless he wins the PL...than again, he seems to have more lives than Lazarus.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 2nd, 2017, 10:09 AM
What is Wagner's single game scoring record? Figured I'd just get myself prepared before I go to Staten Island this weekend.

They didn't hit this number, but they did manage to put up more points (37) than they had in three other Division I football games combined (34) going into the game.

carney2
October 2nd, 2017, 10:27 AM
Week 5 is dead. Give it up! Move on.

Go Green
October 2nd, 2017, 10:34 AM
Gilmore imo. Gilmore will probably be fired after this season unless he wins the PL...than again, he seems to have more lives than Lazarus.

He's the Mike Scioscia of football coaches. Was able to milk a championship season into a decade of middle-of-the-pack results.

I'm still shocked that HC lost last Saturday....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
October 2nd, 2017, 12:07 PM
He's the Mike Scioscia of football coaches. Was able to milk a championship season into a decade of middle-of-the-pack results.

I'm still shocked that HC lost last Saturday....

Mike Scioscia at least won a World Series. Gilmore has 1 PL Championship.....

Go...gate
October 2nd, 2017, 02:19 PM
Isn't Gordon Lockbaum, HC '88, a football coach?

Bill
October 2nd, 2017, 03:36 PM
PL 2017:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26212&stc=1

Sader87
October 3rd, 2017, 12:28 AM
Isn't Gordon Lockbaum, HC '88, a football coach?

No...was a radio announcer for a bit.....