PDA

View Full Version : Furman 45, Colgate 14

Go...gate
September 23rd, 2017, 07:54 PM
Working today and, except for an occasional (and depressing) peek at the score, missed the game.

I heard Colgate had five turnovers in the first half.

What in the world happened?

Reign of Terrier
September 23rd, 2017, 08:01 PM
Furman is better than their record (Elon is proving that right now) and Colgate turned the ball over quite a bit

The Pud
September 23rd, 2017, 08:01 PM
Furman just dominated this game!

ColgateTD
September 23rd, 2017, 08:25 PM
Ugly, ugly game. Looked like more injuries too. This sets us up big time to take on the PL....NOT. We seem to be going backwards, not forwards. The coaches have got a huge job on their hands to get this club ready for the rest of the season. Maybe a game against Cornell is what is needed to turn things around?

phoenix3
September 23rd, 2017, 10:23 PM
Congrats to Furman on the big win. I'm already looking forward to the rematch in 2019. Keep up the good work!!!

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 06:57 AM
Congrats to Furman on the big win. I'm already looking forward to the rematch in 2019. Keep up the good work!!!

When do you guys play them? Should be a great game to watch.

TheValleyRaider
September 24th, 2017, 07:18 AM
Listened to the first half on the radio, sounds like a case of everything going wrong. I thought I heard a few more injuries as well, which never helps, but they simply were not good enough today.

On the one hand, Cornell will definitely be a step down in competition. On the other, Cal Poly/Richmond/Buffalo/Furman have 2 wins against teams other than us so far. Tough schedule, sure, but perhaps not quite as tough as we thought in preseason.

CFBfan
September 24th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Listened to the first half on the radio, sounds like a case of everything going wrong. I thought I heard a few more injuries as well, which never helps, but they simply were not good enough today.

On the one hand, Cornell will definitely be a step down in competition. On the other, Cal Poly/Richmond/Buffalo/Furman have 2 wins against teams other than us so far. Tough schedule, sure, but perhaps not quite as tough as we thought in preseason.

all my previous comments on coaching and recruiting apply (imho)

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Working today and, except for an occasional (and depressing) peek at the score, missed the game.

I heard Colgate had five turnovers in the first half.

What in the world happened?

I was cautiously optimistic going in.

Furman throws a lot at you offensively. Lot of different personnel groupings, running backs splitting out as receivers, receivers taking the handoffs, lot of play action, and sport a couple of guys that are among the fastest players in the SoCon.

I was surprised at the ease with which Furman moved the ball at times. Colgate has a good defense, but Furman struck fast and then cashed in a bunch of turnovers deep in Colgate territory. From what I understand, the score probably could have been worse as Furman called off the dogs in the third Q and started playing the backups.

Defensively, it looks like Furman just whipped the Raider's offensive front. The Paladins had 5 sacks and essentially took Colgate's running attack out of the game.

Our color analyst made the amusing comment that Colgate's RB (Matthews, I think) was going to see Furman OLB Chris Washington around campus a bunch this week. Everywhere Matthews went yesterday, it seemed Washington was right in his face.

Go...gate
September 25th, 2017, 12:19 AM

I would still rather play a good schedule.