PDA

View Full Version : Is UC Davis back?

AmsterBison
September 19th, 2017, 08:01 AM
When UC Davis moved to the FCS, most of us left back in D2 thought they were going to be very successful. In D2, UC Davis offered only about 14 schollies, but their winning percentage against D2 competition was .775 compared top .750 for NDSU (the Georgia Southern of D2.) They never had a losing season. With their 35000 student enrollment and a brand new (expandable) stadium, I figured that they were poised to become an FCS power. They started off great by beating Stanford but went downhill quickly after that. They've had EIGHT losing seasons and so far their best finish was 6-4.

Now they've won two in a row (both blowout wins.) I haven't heard much about them, thus my question: "Is UC Davis back?"

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 19th, 2017, 08:23 AM
No

Grizalltheway
September 19th, 2017, 08:27 AM
I would say too early to tell for sure, but Dan "THIS IS THE BIG SKY" Hawkins seems to have them heading in the right direction.

geaux_sioux
September 19th, 2017, 08:58 AM
When UC Davis moved to the FCS, most of us left back in D2 thought they were going to be very successful. In D2, UC Davis offered only about 14 schollies, but their winning percentage against D2 competition was .775 compared top .750 for NDSU (the Georgia Southern of D2.) They never had a losing season. With their 35000 student enrollment and a brand new (expandable) stadium, I figured that they were poised to become an FCS power. They started off great by beating Stanford but went downhill quickly after that. They've had EIGHT losing seasons and so far their best finish was 6-4.

Now they've won two in a row (both blowout wins.) I haven't heard much about them, thus my question: "Is UC Davis back?"

I said it in another thread but they are a sleeping giant and could run the Big Sky if they wanted. With their enrollment, location, and winning history from D2 they could be a perennial top 10 team nationally.

Daytripper
September 19th, 2017, 09:13 AM
I said it in another thread but they are a sleeping giant and could run the Big Sky if they wanted. With their enrollment, location, and winning history from D2 they could be a perennial top 10 team nationally.

And Hawkins is a good coach as long as he's in his element (no spotlight or pressure).

SochorField
September 19th, 2017, 09:43 AM
Its very early in the Hawkins era, but Aggie fans haven't been this excited about UC Davis football since the night we beat Stanford in 2005.

From the day Davis moved to D1, the Academic Senate has pushed back hard against the athletics department (football program mostly). Bob Biggs had little support from the University, yet had a few winning seasons. He went 48-51 from '04-'12.
When Biggs retired (sad day), Ron Gould came in from Cal and, well, he was awful. It was obvious very quickly he was in waaaaaay over his head. He went 12-33 from '13-'16.

Dan Hawkins has come back to his alma mater at the perfect time for him and the football program. So far has gained support from academics on campus by working with other coaches to make athletics more visible and engaged on campus. His recruiting class was phenomenal on fairly short notice. Bringing OC Tim Plough back to Davis from NAU was a great move. Improvements have been made to Aggie Stadium, we are back to old Aggie traditions (script "Davis" helmets, helmets never touching the ground, etc.), and fans are coming back.

It is very early, but things are looking great in Davis.

www.aggiesportstalk.com (http://www.aggiesportstalk.com)

mvemjsunpx
September 19th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Its very early in the Hawkins era, but Aggie fans haven't been this excited about UC Davis football since the night we beat Stanford in 2005.

From the day Davis moved to D1, the Academic Senate has pushed back hard against the athletics department (football program mostly). Bob Biggs had little support from the University, yet had a few winning seasons. He went 48-51 from '04-'12.
When Biggs retired (sad day), Ron Gould came in from Cal and, well, he was awful. It was obvious very quickly he was in waaaaaay over his head. He went 12-33 from '13-'16.

Dan Hawkins has come back to his alma mater at the perfect time for him and the football program. So far has gained support from academics on campus by working with other coaches to make athletics more visible and engaged on campus. His recruiting class was phenomenal on fairly short notice. Bringing OC Tim Plough back to Davis from NAU was a great move. Improvements have been made to Aggie Stadium, we are back to old Aggie traditions (script "Davis" helmets, helmets never touching the ground, etc.), and fans are coming back.

It is very early, but things are looking great in Davis.

www.aggiesportstalk.com (http://www.aggiesportstalk.com)

The Gould hire made no sense to me. The fact they went with someone not associated with Biggs or a previous Davis coach was very odd.

agalum
September 19th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Socharfield provided an excellent summary. One addition is that academically, these kids have to have the gpa and SAT scores to be admitted to one of the nations top universities. Essentially we are competing with Stanford for smart kids that can play football and survive at UC Davis. This makes recruitment a challenge.

The Weber game is going to be another litmus test for the Ags. If we win, especially if we win decisively, i will proclaim we are back. But the excitement and fun surrounding Aggie football IS back, thanks to Hawk, his coaches, and our awesome AD Dr. Blue.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 19th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Socharfield provided an excellent summary. One addition is that academically, these kids have to have the gpa and SAT scores to be admitted to one of the nations top universities. Essentially we are competing with Stanford for smart kids that can play football and survive at UC Davis. This makes recruitment a challenge.

The Weber game is going to be another litmus test for the Ags. If we win, especially if we win decisively, i will proclaim we are back. But the excitement and fun surrounding Aggie football IS back, thanks to Hawk, his coaches, and our awesome AD Dr. Blue.

First post since the days of the GWFC. xlolx

I too think UCD is a sleeping giant and has all the infrastructure to be a top dog in FCS.

AggiePride
September 19th, 2017, 03:48 PM
I am back; logging in and watching my Ags with a smile for the first time in a loooong time. Maybe that is a barometer of sorts :)

I was part of those record string of winning seasons, and though early, I am seeing something familiar with Dan at the helm.

F'N Hawks
September 19th, 2017, 04:48 PM
The Davis Fans are alive!!!!

Daytripper
September 19th, 2017, 09:30 PM

I surely hope that a few students address your AD with the "you're my boy, Blue!" as they pass each other on campus.

Grizalltheway
September 19th, 2017, 09:39 PM
I surely hope that a few students address your AD with the "you're my boy, Blue!" as they pass each other on campus.
This won't make you feel old-college freshmen were only 4 when that movie came out.xeekx

blue4gold
September 19th, 2017, 09:53 PM
The Weber game is going to be another litmus test for the Ags. If we win, especially if we win decisively, i will proclaim we are back.

+1. A road win against a top 25 team who made the playoffs last yr. That oughta do it

TheKingpin28
September 19th, 2017, 09:55 PM
This won't make you feel old-college freshmen were only 4 when that movie came out.xeekx

xeyebrowx

Wow, now I feel even older than what I wanted to.

GodHelpTheBears
September 19th, 2017, 10:08 PM
Dan Hawkins...now that's a name I've not heard in a long, long time.

Good for him, good for UC Davis.

SochorField
September 20th, 2017, 09:25 AM
The Davis Fans are alive!!!!

We been just clinging to life....on our own forum. Too depressed to post on AST for the past 5 years.

Winning at Weber is going to be TOUGH. Even a close loss won't dampen our spirit at this point. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

BNATION
September 20th, 2017, 09:33 AM
noooo they are not.... We are all now dumber for you having asked this question...

Grizalltheway
September 20th, 2017, 10:03 AM
noooo they are not.... We are all now dumber for you having asked this question...

That's funny, I can feel my IQ drop every time I see that obnoxious orange helmet. xnodx

BNATION
September 20th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Mine drops when I see ranked Big Sky teams. At least EWU was good, now they are falling off..... What happened to you and Mont St?

That's funny, I can feel my IQ drop every time I see that obnoxious orange helmet. xnodx

TheKingpin28
September 20th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Mine drops when I see ranked Big Sky teams. At least EWU was good, now they are falling off..... What happened to you and Mont St?

Says the guy whose team continually bows out in the playoffs when it faces competition.

At least Montana knows what a championship ring looks like.

BNATION
September 20th, 2017, 10:13 AM
I dont think we have lost to a big sky team in 9-10 years.... pretty sure we are 5 or 6-0 in the last 6 meetings. And at least we are winning playoff games. O wait we have the second most playoff wins in the last decade aside from NDSU. Go home your drunk.

Says the guy whose team continually bows out in the playoffs when it faces competition.

At least Montana knows what a championship ring looks like.

Daytripper
September 20th, 2017, 10:17 AM
I dont think we have lost to a big sky team in 9-10 years.... pretty sure we are 5 or 6-0 in the last 6 meetings. And at least we are winning playoff games. O wait we have the second most playoff wins in the last decade aside from NDSU. Go home your drunk.

Give up. They have their talking points and they are sticking to them, regardless of whether it's accurate or not.

BNATION
September 20th, 2017, 10:18 AM
We are 8-1 against the Big Sky in the last 13 years.... That's not a talking point or how any feels. Just the facts sir, just the facts....xdrunkyx

Daytripper
September 20th, 2017, 10:20 AM
We are 8-1 against the Big Sky in the last 13 years.... That's not a talking point or how any feels. Just the facts sir, just the facts....xdrunkyx

I agree. I'm talking about Kingpin, DD, and the rest who only remember the last game of the season and forget all of the other playoff wins.

TheKingpin28
September 20th, 2017, 10:24 AM
You are 0-1 since 2010 against the Big Sky in the regular season, which is what matters to SHSU since the playoffs are when the choke masters decide to show up.

Keep spitting your alternative facts, but at least admit it when you are wrong. Also, in the playoffs, when you are playing over 70% of your games at home, against teams traveling over 1000 miles, what did you really expect? For them to come in there and just wipe the floor clean?

kalm
September 20th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Give up. They have their talking points and they are sticking to them, regardless of whether it's accurate or not.

Your record against the BSC is stellar to be sure, but I'm pretty sure you have lost a game to us in the last 9 or 10 years. Not that accuracy matters or that's what this thread is about.

(It's about SHSU insecurity, right?)

Daytripper
September 20th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Your record against the BSC is stellar to be sure, but I'm pretty sure you have lost a game to us in the last 9 or 10 years. Not that accuracy matters or that's what this thread is about.

(It's about SHSU insecurity, right?)

It's about pointing out biased/flawed arguments.

TheKingpin28
September 20th, 2017, 10:30 AM
I agree. I'm talking about Kingpin, DD, and the rest who only remember the last game of the season and forget all of the other playoff wins.

Or when you play a real team and lose?

65-7 @ JMU Quarterfinals (1253 miles)
62-10 @ JSU Semi-Finals (713 miles)
35-3 @ NDSU Semi-Finals (1253 miles)
30-29 @ SELA Second Round (342 miles)
39-13 @ NDSU Finals (201 miles)
17-6 vs NDSU Finals (201 miles)

Notice a trend? When one goes on the road, one usually gets ripped apart. Now do you understand why winning at home against Big Fluffy teams or any other school not named NDSU in recent times is not as hard as you think? Travelling long distances takes it out of teams. These are the facts.

IBleedYellow
September 20th, 2017, 10:30 AM
I honestly hope so. We need more powerhouses in the FCS.

BNATION
September 20th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Whats great is look at our playoff losses. See a trend? O wait they all won the Natty that year except SELA, and JSU, and that was a one point game. Also the first final appearance against NDSU was a dogfight of a game. If not for a faked punt by NDSU game could have been different. . So we dismantled everyone, home and away except the eventual National Champions. Thanks for the lesson. Only one team wins the Natty.

Or when you play a real team and lose?

65-7 @ JMU Quarterfinals (1253 miles)
62-10 @ JSU Semi-Finals (713 miles)
35-3 @ NDSU Semi-Finals (1253 miles)
30-29 @ SELA Second Round (342 miles)
39-13 @ NDSU Finals (201 miles)
17-6 vs NDSU Finals (201 miles)

Notice a trend? When one goes on the road, one usually gets ripped apart. Now do you understand why winning at home against Big Fluffy teams or any other school not named NDSU in recent times is not as hard as you think? Travelling long distances takes it out of teams. These are the facts.

TheKingpin28
September 20th, 2017, 10:44 AM
Whats great is look at our playoff losses. See a trend? O wait they all won the Natty that year. So we dismantled everyone, home and away except the eventual National Champions. Thanks for the lesson. Only one team wins the Natty.

SELA won the natty?
JSU won the natty?

Wow you really are delusional. There are only a few SHSU posters I enjoy, and this is more proof as to why I only like a few. I can not decide which fanbase is more insufferable: UND, JMU, or SHSU. (I give UTC as Chattown is just one person, kind of like Lakes, ScreamingEagle, Redbird 4th and Short, etc...)

At the end of the day, you will always have that 1st loser title to hang over other people. Congrats on that one. Continue to go on with your slobberknocker fest, but you are once again, wrong.

kalm
September 20th, 2017, 10:44 AM
I honestly hope so. We need more powerhouses in the FCS.

Ding, ding, ding!

kalm
September 20th, 2017, 10:46 AM
It's about pointing out biased/flawed arguments.

No....pretty sure it's now about proving SHSU is a good program....which you are...

(Pats on the back)

BNATION
September 20th, 2017, 10:46 AM
I edited my post with with regards to SELA AND JSU those years. Aside from that all factual.

SELA won the natty?
JSU won the natty?

Wow you really are delusional. There are only a few SHSU posters I enjoy, and this is more proof as to why I only like a few. I can not decide which fanbase is more insufferable: UND, JMU, or SHSU. (I give UTC as Chattown is just one person, kind of like Lakes, ScreamingEagle, Redbird 4th and Short, etc...)

At the end of the day, you will always have that 1st loser title to hang over other people. Congrats on that one. Continue to go on with your slobberknocker fest, but you are once again, wrong.

BNATION
September 20th, 2017, 10:49 AM
This is is my favorite argument trying to say a program that in the last 7 years has finished in the top 10 in the country is not a good program. Hilarious.

No....pretty sure it's now about proving SHSU is a good program....which you are...

(Pats on the back)

UNIFanSince1983
September 20th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Thank you SHSU idiots for mucking up another thread. One in which I was enjoying hearing about a team we don't normally hear about it. But then you come in here and have to try and swing your little prick around. You have had a good team no doubt, but you haven't won the important ones. Get over it.

As a UNI fan we know all about being really good and blowing it in the playoffs. We have now resigned ourselves to the fact that we aren't going to do it. I suggest you SHSU fans do the same, but considering you're from Texas that probably won't happen. You will keep swinging your prick around and then get pissed when people laugh at the size. But try to stop ruining every single thread with your non-sense.

kalm
September 20th, 2017, 10:54 AM
This is is my favorite argument trying to say a program that in the last 7 years has finished in the top 10 in the country is not a good program. Hilarious.

Huh?

BNATION
September 20th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Why little? Don't you know everything's bigger down here.

Thank you SHSU idiots for mucking up another thread. One in which I was enjoying hearing about a team we don't normally hear about it. But then you come in here and have to try and swing your little prick around. You have had a good team no doubt, but you haven't won the important ones. Get over it.

As a UNI fan we know all about being really good and blowing it in the playoffs. We have now resigned ourselves to the fact that we aren't going to do it. I suggest you SHSU fans do the same, but considering you're from Texas that probably won't happen. You will keep swinging your prick around and then get pissed when people laugh at the size. But try to stop ruining every single thread with your non-sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Seemed like you you were saying Sammy needs to prove it's a good program?

Huh?

BisonTru
September 20th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Why little? Don't you know everything's bigger down here?

Like your women. 😑

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AggieFinn
September 20th, 2017, 11:40 AM
Dan's got 'em on a early roll, but as the game tape creeps out, the Big Sky will adjust. This ain't intramurals, but Hawk/Plough playing beyond aggressive in weeks 2 and 3, with some solid special teams play to boot.

QB Jake Maier is really leading the way, and WR Keelan Doss is a stud.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26080&stc=1

Grizalltheway
September 20th, 2017, 11:54 AM

My post had nothing to do with football. See 1983's post.

mvemjsunpx
September 20th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Current Sam Houston fans remind me of NDSU fans 10 years ago.

"OK, lets talk about UC Davi…"

"SAM HOUSTON! LET'S TALK ABOUT SAM HOUSTON!!! WHY AREN'T WE TALKING ABOUT SAM HOUSTON!?!?!?!?!?

"Whenever Sam Houston isn't in a thread, all posters should be asking 'Where's Sam Houston?'"

ursus arctos horribilis
September 20th, 2017, 12:55 PM

"SAM HOUSTON! LET'S TALK ABOUT SAM HOUSTON!!! WHY AREN'T WE TALKING ABOUT SAM HOUSTON!?!?!?!?!?

"Whenever Sam Houston isn't in a thread, all posters should be asking 'Where's Sam Houston?'"

There are really just a few babies that need constant attention and think they will troll to lash out becasuse they aren't liking what a few others around here say. I am taking them on a case by case basis but you can trust me that at some point I will make their life miserable here and they will either become decent members of the place or they will find it extremely hard to get any work done around here.

For instance right now we have one guy having terrible problems trying to make a post I am quite certain because it appears to him he possibly has some computer trouble, or phone trouble regard AGS at the current time.

We're not gonna have a few little crybabies trashing the threads, it just ain't in the cards for them. We should be able to get back to a decent discussion on this topic if all otherw want to do that.

IBleedYellow
September 20th, 2017, 12:56 PM

Thankfully our team back then could have backed us up...and they proved it too.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 20th, 2017, 12:57 PM

Plus, look how good it is to have the current group of NDSU posters here. We are much better off once a groove and understanding of how to get along is achieved.

citdog
September 20th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Plus, look how good it is to have the current group of NDSU posters here. We are much better off once a groove and understanding of how to get along is achieved.

Let us hope that when the formerly Sioux join the MVFC it stays that way.

Silenoz
September 20th, 2017, 01:03 PM
Oh hey, another hijacked SHSU thread. Congrats on whooping Montana State, and a bunch of other teams I don't care about, and beating us in a miracle that one time

Anyways, I hope Davis is good. Mostly just to rile up Sac State fans. The Big Sky needs some rivalries that matter, not just everyone trying to be annoyed with us all the time

UNIFanSince1983
September 20th, 2017, 01:14 PM
There are really just a few babies that need constant attention and think they will troll to lash out becasuse they aren't liking what a few others around here say. I am taking them on a case by case basis but you can trust me that at some point I will make their life miserable here and they will either become decent members of the place or they will find it extremely hard to get any work done around here.

For instance right now we have one guy having terrible problems trying to make a post I am quite certain because it appears to him he possibly has some computer trouble, or phone trouble regard AGS at the current time.

We're not gonna have a few little crybabies trashing the threads, it just ain't in the cards for them. We should be able to get back to a decent discussion on this topic if all otherw want to do that.

You sir are going god's work and we appreciate it!

mvemjsunpx
September 20th, 2017, 01:16 PM

https://s26.postimg.org/4ou0mvqd5/A5gauntlet1.jpg

AggiePride
September 20th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Dan's got 'em on a early roll, but as the game tape creeps out, the Big Sky will adjust. This ain't intramurals, but Hawk/Plough playing beyond aggressive in weeks 2 and 3, with some solid special teams play to boot.

QB Jake Maier is really leading the way, and WR Keelan Doss is a stud.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26080&stc=1

Just glad to see a return to a wide open offense, that is Aggie football.

AggiePride
September 20th, 2017, 01:37 PM
Oh hey, another hijacked SHSU thread. Congrats on whooping Montana State, and a bunch of other teams I don't care about, and beating us in a miracle that one time

Anyways, I hope Davis is good. Mostly just to rile up Sac State fans. The Big Sky needs some rivalries that matter, not just everyone trying to be annoyed with us all the time

Even in our lowest lows we still thump Suc State on an 80% clip, and show up for the Causeway.

Catbooster
September 20th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Do you even read the posts you reply to? Or are you so insecure that you start arguing before you even know what the other guy said?

IBleedYellow
September 20th, 2017, 01:42 PM

xdrunkyx

We all know what will happen.

Catbooster
September 20th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Davis certainly appears to be competing so far, as do several other teams. It might be hard to decide who the best teams are in the Big Sky for quite a few weeks.

kalm
September 20th, 2017, 02:30 PM

Man, that is sooo 2009. Get over yourselves...

Schism55
September 20th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Don't hold your breath bud xsmiley_wix

SochorField
September 20th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Welp, this thread went downhill fast........

Silenoz
September 20th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Man, that is sooo 2009. Get over yourselves...

That's what I'm saying! Move on people!

Aren't you supposed to be rivals with Portland State? Make that a real thing already!

BNATION
September 24th, 2017, 07:50 AM
I guess my statements rang true after UC Davis' demise to Weber.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 24th, 2017, 08:09 AM
I guess my statements rang true after UC Davis' demise to Weber. Montana St. had a dominant performance over a MVFC team which is good for the conference.

Which Valley team did they play again?

xeyebrowx

bobcathpdevil56
September 24th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Which Valley team did they play again?

xeyebrowx

He is as good at making stuff up as he is at being a troll

GreenGlasses
September 24th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Sam Houston reminds me of the Bills in the early 90s. Always a Bridesmaid, never a Bride. xviolinx