#7 Villanova (2-1)
9/2 Beat Lehigh 38-35
9/9 Lost to Temple 13-16
9/16 Beat Lafayette 59-0

Albany (2-1)
9/2 Lost to Old Dominion 17-31
9/9 Beat Morgan State 26-0
9/16 Beat Monmouth 28-14

Last Meeting: Villanova won 24-13 (2016)
First Meeting: Villanova won 48-31 (2014)

Villanova leads the series 3-0.

BestDaneSinceHamlet
September 17th, 2017, 07:43 PM
If Hanks gets back to his old self and the D plays as they have been this will be a very close game.

QB play is getting better and the run D looks special.

How mobile is the Nova QB?

Gangtackle11
September 17th, 2017, 08:32 PM
If Hanks gets back to his old self and the D plays as they have been this will be a very close game.

QB play is getting better and the run D looks special.

How mobile is the Nova QB?

Very. Was a better runner than passer 1st 2 seasons. Has become a pretty good QB to date in this his RS junior season.

crusader11
September 17th, 2017, 08:41 PM
This should be a really good game. I think the Danes may win this one.

Gangtackle11
September 17th, 2017, 08:54 PM
This should be a really good game. I think the Danes may win this one.

Maybe. I like when the general public take the other team.

Nova played very well vs. Temple. Had a chance at a FBS win, but it wasn't to be.

They had 10-14 point leads at Lehigh most of the game until a deflected pass made it a 3 point game with 4 minutes to play.

Lafayette was as bad a team that I've witnessed in person in a long time. They have long road.

Our QB has taken his game to the next level so far. I'm expecting a tough game, but I think we have a lot for Albany to think about.

Our back 8 defenders are as good as you'll find in the CAA. You would think a 3-3-5 stack defense is vulnerable to the run game, but that hasn't been the case last season or so far this season. Very stingy run defense. Lehigh & Temple didn't run on them. Forget Lafayette.

Albany will have to show they are equal or better in the air or suffer the fate of being 1 dimensional .

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 17th, 2017, 08:59 PM
This is definitely an intriguing matchup. I like Nova wins in a squeaker but I also think Albany is a bit underrated right now.

UAalum72
September 17th, 2017, 09:19 PM
Actually Brunson was really sharp, especially in the first half, throwing against Monmouth. The running game didn't show much (and didn't much try to) until late in the game, but Ibitokun-Hanks looked like he was getting his legs back in the 4th.

Inconsistency returned to both sides of the kicking game.

It's a week away, but the long-range forecast is another clear, 70+degree evening.

jmufan999
September 18th, 2017, 09:18 AM
I'll take Nova by 14-21.

CHIP72
September 18th, 2017, 12:22 PM
One minor correction - this game starts at 7 PM ET, not 6 PM.

Gangtackle11
September 19th, 2017, 02:59 PM
One minor correction - this game starts at 7 PM ET, not 6 PM.

Duly noted. xpeacex

BestDaneSinceHamlet
September 20th, 2017, 06:14 PM
Hanks hasn't practiced this week. We have a stud Frosh in Mofor, but he's not an All-American..yet.

The Pud
September 21st, 2017, 08:42 AM
I have to give the node to Villa in this matchup. My prediction is that Villa will win 21-10

Gangtackle11
September 22nd, 2017, 07:17 AM
Villanova Game Notes:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2017-18/release/release_20170921aaa.pdf

Nova09
September 23rd, 2017, 07:32 PM
Glad bednarczk still making the same terrible decisions leading to same costly mistakes as he was as a freshman forced into action

Nova09
September 23rd, 2017, 07:33 PM
Also glad receivers back to dropping balls in redzone, this time making sure to catch first so other team can get possession directly and save the time of our missed fg

Dane96
September 23rd, 2017, 07:40 PM
Or you can just say both teams are pretty evenly matched right now. Smh.

Nova09
September 23rd, 2017, 07:43 PM
Or you can just say both teams are pretty evenly matched right now. Smh.

They are. I didn't denigrate Albany or say we should be crushing you. But that doesn't change the things I did say.

Dane96
September 23rd, 2017, 07:43 PM
Fair. Thought you were. Both defenses are very physical today

ElCid
September 23rd, 2017, 07:49 PM
Wow, sorry to say but Albany has got some ugly uniforms. Sorry. Good game though.:)

Dane96
September 23rd, 2017, 08:04 PM
Those are alternate unis. We agree. Hate them

VUCats02
September 23rd, 2017, 08:49 PM
What is going on in the game???? Espn feed bugged out at 9:30 mark

Thumper 76
September 23rd, 2017, 08:50 PM
What is going on in the game???? Espn feed bugged out at 9:30 mark

Same. Anybody with any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nova09
September 23rd, 2017, 08:55 PM
Livestat down as well, complete internet loss at Albany or something?

Ivytalk
September 23rd, 2017, 09:02 PM
I blame Irma.

TheKingpin28
September 23rd, 2017, 09:03 PM
10-3 Albany 1 minute left in the game.

Dane96
September 23rd, 2017, 09:03 PM
It's back. Albany up 10-3

kdinva
September 23rd, 2017, 09:10 PM
It's back. Albany up 10-3

'Nova scores at 0:00.........tied at 10.............OT

TheKingpin28
And Villanova scores with no time on the clock.

VUCats02
WOw Nova TD as time expires to force OT!!!

Dane96
September 23rd, 2017, 09:11 PM
Questionable pi. Nova ties it. Albany's oc sucks. Albany should be up 20-10

Nova09
This game should be declared tie no one deserves a w today

Dane96
Credit nova for coming down and scoring

Nova09
September 23rd, 2017, 09:14 PM
Questionable pi. Nova ties it. Albany's oc sucks. Albany should be up 20-10

Yes, but not as questionable as pi previous would be 3 and out drive when your qb just launched an uncatchable ball running for life.

I have also found the ref spots to be all over the place for both teams, like more than a yard off multiple times and more often than not noticeably off

Nova09
September 23rd, 2017, 09:18 PM
Explanation for no int ground? They discussed but nothing communicated

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2017, 09:20 PM
I'm guessing people watching already heard this, but Albany temporarily lost the broadcast due to a nearby power outage.

- - - Updated - - -

Explanation for no int ground? They discussed but nothing communicated

I thought it was intentional grounding.

Nova09
September 23rd, 2017, 09:20 PM
Did I miss something? Thought ot started 25, then Albany 1st down when they gained 16

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2017, 09:21 PM
I think I joined this game at the right time - with 3 seconds left in the 4th quarter. (I attended both the Penn/Lehigh and Princeton/Lafayette games earlier today.)

kdinva
September 23rd, 2017, 09:22 PM
albany's live stats mentions a dead ball, PF against Albany, hence their first drive started at the VU 40

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2017, 09:23 PM
Did I miss something? Thought ot started 25, then Albany 1st down when they gained 16

They must have enforced the jumping over the snapper penalty on Albany after the Villanova XP attempt at the end of regulation.

kdinva
September 23rd, 2017, 09:24 PM
albany got a 20 yd FG.......

'Nova with 3 rushes for nine yards,,,, time out...4th and 1

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2017, 09:24 PM
Interesting decision for the Wildcats on 4th and 1 from the 16 yard line.

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2017, 09:26 PM
Not a knock on Albany, but based on results the last few weeks (particularly those involving Lehigh and Temple), I knew I had reason to be concerned about Villanova this year.

Give Albany credit - it sounds like they deserved to win more than the Wildcats.

kdinva
September 23rd, 2017, 09:26 PM
nova fumbles it away, danes run it in for TD, game over, 19-10

BisonFan02
September 23rd, 2017, 09:27 PM
Interesting decision for the Wildcats on 4th and 1 from the 16 yard line.

No kicker? Play to win on 4th and 1....not sure on that play call though.

TheKingpin28
September 23rd, 2017, 09:27 PM
Hell of a job by Albany!

VUCats02
September 23rd, 2017, 09:28 PM
TImes like these I miss Andy Tally :( most questionable 3rd and 4th down play calls I've ever seen. Regardless, hell of a game. Nova in danger of missing the playoffs now but that's CAA football.

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2017, 09:30 PM
No kicker? Play to win on 4th and 1....not sure on that play call though.

Based on what I saw during the Villanova/Temple game a couple weeks ago, I think Villanova has some question marks in their kicking game, so I'm not surprised they went for it.

BisonFan02
September 23rd, 2017, 09:31 PM
Based on what I saw during the Villanova/Temple game a couple weeks ago, I think Villanova has some question marks in their kicking game, so I'm not surprised they went for it.

Announcers made mention of that, so I kinda figured that was the case. Either way....on 4th and 1...if it were NDSU, I would be confident that they can pick up the yard...but who knows?

CHIP72
September 23rd, 2017, 09:32 PM
In contrast to 2016, this season is certainly shaping up as one that will be over for me in terms of having games of personal interest to watch on and after Thanksgiving weekend (unless IUP makes a deep run in the D2 playoffs). I have a bad feeling Villanova is/will not be that great this year and will either miss the playoffs or be first round fodder.

Nova09
September 23rd, 2017, 09:34 PM
As long as bednarczk qb, we will continue to not score against good defense.

Dane96
September 23rd, 2017, 09:34 PM
Yes, but not as questionable as pi previous would be 3 and out drive when your qb just launched an uncatchable ball running for life.

I have also found the ref spots to be all over the place for both teams, like more than a yard off multiple times and more often than not noticeably off

Yep. Totally agree.

Nova09
September 23rd, 2017, 09:37 PM
As for going for it, I support it, but would have done it sooner: after td, when d was reeling, not when they were amped up

Dane96
September 23rd, 2017, 09:41 PM
The winning play:

https://twitter.com/CAAFootball/status/911780404331466752

https://twitter.com/ualbanyGDAC/status/911779633049276416

And a great view of the post-game fireworks:

https://twitter.com/PhilipBHKelly/status/911780596363485184

Gangtackle11
September 24th, 2017, 12:04 AM
Congrats to Albany. I'm driving home from game. My thoughts tomorrow.

Twyxx
September 24th, 2017, 10:43 AM
Congrats to Albany. I'm driving home from game. My thoughts tomorrow.

The drive home took much longer than the drive there. The team looked VERY soft. The defense was not playing aggressively at all. More pressure on the QB would have forced more poor decisions. This is 3 games without an interception, and now it looks like Rob Rolle will likely be out for a while. Defense was on the field for way too long. Offensive play calling was poor. The game should have been tied going into the half. I like our defense to make a stand in 2OT, instead of putting the entire game on our offense at 4th & 1 in OT. Zack was on fire the last drive, and they just gave the ball to Gudzak 4 plays in a row. Overall, a very disappointing game. Albany was the better team last night.

Gangtackle11
September 24th, 2017, 10:52 AM
Ok. Got some rest. I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet on the Wildcats, but Albany took it to Nova last night. A top 5 FCS team would have crushed Nova last night. They were manhandled by a smaller, but very quick Albany d-line. The Albany defense is aggressive and has a gang tackling mentality.

They exposed Villanova and completely shut down our spread offense from running the ball. Nova had a very solid 2 minute drive via the air to tie it, but other than that it was the same old story where a better FCS team shut down our mundane offense.

Our defense is missing a pass rush, but even though they don't get the pressure on the Qb like last season they played very well. The time of possession was 2-1 in Albany's favor, but our defense held them to 10 points in the regular session.

This feels like de ja vu of last season where anydecent opponent will shut our offense down. Our defense albeit not as good as last season is still very capable of stopping the best of the FCS, but will wear down having to make up for another listless offense against playoff caliber teams.

The decision to go on 4th & 1 in OT instead of kicking a game tying FG was wrong because the play call had no chance. Running a 185lbs. back out of the spread or our QB doesn't work time & time again. Our OC needs to rethink his game plan because he comes up short in big games the past few seasons.

Im thinking 7-4 type season. May or may not get them in. Outside chance at 8-3, but more of a chance 6-5.

It was the 2016 Nova last night. Defense holds them to 10 and lose.

Hopefully, we fix it for Towson this weekend.

Gangtackle11
September 24th, 2017, 10:56 AM
The drive home took much longer than the drive there. The team looked VERY soft. The defense was not playing aggressively at all. More pressure on the QB would have forced more poor decisions. This is 3 games without an interception, and now it looks like Rob Rolle will likely be out for a while. Defense was on the field for way too long. Offensive play calling was poor. The game should have been tied going into the half. I like our defense to make a stand in 2OT, instead of putting the entire game on our offense at 4th & 1 in OT. Zack was on fire the last drive, and they just gave the ball to Gudzak 4 plays in a row. Overall, a very disappointing game. Albany was the better team last night.

Agree with you all the way.

centraljerseycat
September 24th, 2017, 08:48 PM
Couldn't say it any better Gangtackle. Same old same old.
I don't care how many years Sam Venuto's been the OC, if Nova actually cared about football they'd probably be looking to replacing him after the season.

The Pud
September 24th, 2017, 09:58 PM
man, I did not see this coming. I thought for sure Villa would win this game. What has happened to the CAA this year???

Dane96
September 25th, 2017, 07:44 AM
What do you mean what has happened. Albany is on a slow rise. We didn't have a full compliment of schollys until last season from our transition. We have a new stadium, yadda, yadda.

Instead of the backhanded remark that denigrates the CAA, Albany, and Nova in one fail swoop...maybe say, "huh...that's a team on the rise"

Last year Albany was the consensus final team out of the playoffs. This result shouldn't be hugely surprising.

It was a big win for us for sure...as a statement...but saying "What has happened to the CAA this year???" is head shaking worthy.

clickclack
September 25th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Yeah I really don't understand the outrage. It's not like Albany is a trash program.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The Pud
September 25th, 2017, 08:33 AM
What do you mean what has happened. Albany is on a slow rise. We didn't have a full compliment of schollys until last season from our transition. We have a new stadium, yadda, yadda.

Instead of the backhanded remark that denigrates the CAA, Albany, and Nova in one fail swoop...maybe say, "huh...that's a team on the rise"

Last year Albany was the consensus final team out of the playoffs. This result shouldn't be hugely surprising.

It was a big win for us for sure...as a statement...but saying "What has happened to the CAA this year???" is head shaking worthy.

My comment was not meant to be a backhanded remark that denigrates the CAA. On the contrary my comment was in praise of the historically powerful CAA and the quality teams that represent the conference. Accordingly, my comment was a question of the current situation of the CAA, which like I just stated has been glorified and praised, as the conference as a whole seems to be somewhat less dominate as in previous years. I applaud your team's performance on such a high quality win and look forward to seeing you guys play in the playoffs as a top seeded team, while Sammy will not be seeded since Sammy does not play in such a high quality conference like the CAA.

Cheers,
The Pod

DirtyDukes
September 25th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Yeah I really don't understand the outrage. It's not like Albany is a trash program.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The dude is a bot designed to only try and troll CAA/JMU posters. He's still smartin' from 65-7. Ignore him.

The Pud
September 25th, 2017, 08:40 AM
The dude is a bot designed to only try and troll CAA/JMU posters. He's still smartin' from 65-7. Ignore him.

I try to be an objective reporter as my profession dictates; however, if you are uncomfortable with my open, fair and balanced reporting that JMU has played a #cupcake schedule to date and that the #CAA seems to be average this year, then I suggest you find another outlet to calm your fears.

PantherRob82
September 25th, 2017, 08:41 AM
I'm bummed I missed the overtime. I saw Villanova tie it up but it was over by the time I got home. This seems like another game where Albany is solid and maybe better than expected and the Wildcats might not be as good at the moment.

DirtyDukes
September 25th, 2017, 08:54 AM
I try to be an objective reporter as my profession dictates; however, if you are uncomfortable with my open, fair and balanced reporting that JMU has played a #cupcake schedule to date and that the #CAA seems to be average this year, then I suggest you find another outlet to calm your fears.

What are you a reporter for, Mad Magazine?

Gangtackle11
September 25th, 2017, 09:30 AM

Defense is very impressive. They get their AA back healthy & can keep teams off balance with some passing then Albany is going to be a tough out for anyone.

Gangtackle11
September 25th, 2017, 09:32 AM
I'm bummed I missed the overtime. I saw Villanova tie it up but it was over by the time I got home. This seems like another game where Albany is solid and maybe better than expected and the Wildcats might not be as good at the moment.

Fair enough.

The Pud
September 25th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Fair enough.

+7