PDA

View Full Version : Colgate at Buffalo

Go...gate
September 17th, 2017, 04:47 PM
I was on the road and did not have time to post a thread on this.

Not happy about the performance - especially on offense - but I am hopeful that some benefit was taken away.

Fred Dunlap needs to come out of retirement to tutor our quarterbacks, as he did with Ryan Vena in 1996 when Vena was a Freshman.

Go...gate
September 17th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Colgate SID's account of the contest and statistics.

http://gocolgateraiders.com/news/2017/9/16/football-early-push-guides-buffalo-past-colgate-33-10.aspx

TheValleyRaider
September 17th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Only caught a few minutes here and there, but it wasn't all that encouraging. The few plays I saw seemed to involve our O-line getting blown up, which won't help.

Disappointing, certainly, as this was a game many thought we had a shot in. Dust off, regroup, and get the win at home against Furman. Everything still to play for this year

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 17th, 2017, 07:53 PM
I watched the entire game. The biggest take away was Colgate's QB play. Breneman couldn't complete simple passes when he had the WR open by 2 or 3 yards. He showed the ability to run, and run successfully but the Raiders can't win with that level of play in the passing game.

Buffalo got up early and basically ran 2 or 3 (all which involved the QB running around) different plays the rest of the game. Colgate's defense played hard in order to keep the score from getting out of hand but the Bulls offense has been among the worst in FBS recently so it's all relative.

Furman is a big game from a legitimacy standpoint. At some point you need to win....

Gater
September 18th, 2017, 12:35 AM
I don't feel that bad about this loss. The D is very banged up right now.
Colgate was missing from week 1:
A starting LB.
Pre-season All League CB.
Pre-season All American DE.
FCS player of the week from Cal Poly game at SS
#2 Strong safety
Guys out since start of season are starting nickel at least (maybe SS) and starting OLB.
The defense is also young (with the injuries there wasn't a senior starter on D), so losing six or so starters (and some of the best players) is going to hurt.
The good news is that most of these guys should be back in a few weeks--and getting young guys experience will help.

As far as the QB position, the stats look worse than the performance. Colgate dropped two TD passes and missed a 25 yard FG. There were some other key drops by guys who don't usually drop the ball and some real pressure on the QB.

I think the kid has a chance to be really good. Seems like he needs to hold the read option longer. Melville would hold the ball forever, until the person they were optioning would commit--and was very rarely wrong. Colgate would almost never lose yards running the ball. So far, he's played against Richmond and Buffalo, so he's seen some good defensive players.

If Colgate had the defense on the field that it did against Cal Poly, you'd have seen fewer scores and if guys made plays on O, Colgate would have put up a few more points. Not saying Colgate would have won, but I think it would have been closer. Just a pretty bad game all around for Colgate.

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2017, 05:04 AM
Only caught a few minutes here and there, but it wasn't all that encouraging. The few plays I saw seemed to involve our O-line getting blown up, which won't help.

Disappointing, certainly, as this was a game many thought we had a shot in. Dust off, regroup, and get the win at home against Furman. Everything still to play for this year

Furman should be a good matchup. Paladins are young, and have been inconsistent much of the season.

CFBfan
September 18th, 2017, 06:29 AM
[QUOTE=Gater;2529020]I don't feel that bad about this loss. The D is very banged up right now.

Every team has injuries throughout the season, it's part of the game. good teams have depth and find ways to win....