PDA

View Full Version : D-III FG bounces through the uprights after being initially blocked

bonarae
September 17th, 2017, 09:10 AM
Wow...

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-09-16/watch-texas-lutheran-kicker-makes-absurd-18-yard-field-goal-bounce

POD Knows
September 17th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Wow...

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-09-16/watch-texas-lutheran-kicker-makes-absurd-18-yard-field-goal-bounceOK, that is pretty cool. I honestly didn't even know you could do that.

JayJ79
September 17th, 2017, 10:31 AM
at first, I didn't think this would be legal. But after reading through the rules, I can't seem to find anything that declares it illegal, since the kick attempt never crossed the neutral zone.

I believe multiple punts can be attempted as long as the preceding kick(s) never advanced beyond the neutral zone, and both punts and FG attempts are covered by the "scrimmage kick" rules (the difference being that FG's can only be scored from a place kick, or a drop kick where the ball is kicked as it contacts the ground), so this situation where the initial FG attempt is blocked behind the line of scrimmage should be legal to be kicked again.

Bisonoline
September 17th, 2017, 04:18 PM
at first, I didn't think this would be legal. But after reading through the rules, I can't seem to find anything that declares it illegal, since the kick attempt never crossed the neutral zone.

I believe multiple punts can be attempted as long as the preceding kick(s) never advanced beyond the neutral zone, and both punts and FG attempts are covered by the "scrimmage kick" rules (the difference being that FG's can only be scored from a place kick, or a drop kick where the ball is kicked as it contacts the ground), so this situation where the initial FG attempt is blocked behind the line of scrimmage should be legal to be kicked again.

About 5years ago Iowa attempted a FG on 3rd down. The kick was blocked but didnt cross the line of scrimmage and it was recovered by Iowa. So Iowa had a second attempt on 4th down and made it.

At the end of the game UNI needed a FG to win the game. The kick was blocked but there was a penalty on Iowa so they got another chance. Iowa blocked it again.

JayJ79
September 17th, 2017, 04:52 PM
About 5years ago Iowa attempted a FG on 3rd down. The kick was blocked but didnt cross the line of scrimmage and it was recovered by Iowa. So Iowa had a second attempt on 4th down and made it.

At the end of the game UNI needed a FG to win the game. The kick was blocked but there was a penalty on Iowa so they got another chance. Iowa blocked it again.

First off, I think you mean UNI attempting the FGs, and Iowa blocking them. I was at that game.
Second, that is a different circumstance, because the two FG attempts were on different downs, and thus were two seperate plays.

The FG attempts in the video in this thread were all part of one continuous play. Kicker kicks the ball out of a hold (like normal), which is blocked. the ball bounces back in front of the kicker, who kicks it again, this time through the uprights.

Bisonoline
September 17th, 2017, 06:20 PM
First off, I think you mean UNI attempting the FGs, and Iowa blocking them. I was at that game.
Second, that is a different circumstance, because the two FG attempts were on different downs, and thus were two seperate plays.

The FG attempts in the video in this thread were all part of one continuous play. Kicker kicks the ball out of a hold (like normal), which is blocked. the ball bounces back in front of the kicker, who kicks it again, this time through the uprights.

Thats what I said?

As far as the 2 different plays--yes. Just was relating another wierd play. But the fact remains for both that the ball didnt cross the LOS after being blocked.

I was at that game also.

Ok I see what I did. You are correct.

Laker
September 17th, 2017, 08:53 PM

I read once in a football rule case book that you can punt from any point on the field, even if you are past the line of scrimmage. Technically, you could be running downfield past the LOS and punt from the one yard line. Wouldn't happen but legally it could the way he described it.

JayJ79
September 18th, 2017, 07:11 AM
I read once in a football rule case book that you can punt from any point on the field, even if you are past the line of scrimmage. Technically, you could be running downfield past the LOS and punt from the one yard line. Wouldn't happen but legally it could the way he described it.

I don't believe that is the case. I haven't checked the most current NCAA rulebook, but the older one I have has rule 6-3-10-c:

A scrimmage kick made when the kicker’s entire body is beyond the neutral
zone is an illegal kick and a live-ball foul that causes the ball to become dead.
PENALTY—For an illegal kick beyond the neutral zone (live-ball foul): Five
yards from the previous spot and loss of down

Laker
September 18th, 2017, 07:45 AM
This is from a Minnesota football referee:

Tom Bromeland (https://www.facebook.com/tom.bromeland?fref=ufi) I don't know about NCAA ruling but for a NFHS game this would not be legal. There would be a foul on the kicking team for an illegal kick.

clenz
September 18th, 2017, 09:35 AM
It also wasn't a penalty in the UNI game.

Ball never crossed the neutral zone. It was a 3rd down kick. UNI recovered. Tried again. Failed again

TTUEagles
September 18th, 2017, 09:38 PM
This is an illegal kick. Never should have counted. Once blocked, it was a loose ball - cannot kick a loose ball: loss of down, 15 yrd penalty...I think.

JSUSoutherner
September 18th, 2017, 11:11 PM
This is an illegal kick. Never should have counted. Once blocked, it was a loose ball - cannot kick a loose ball: loss of down, 15 yrd penalty...I think.
No, as long as it doesn't cross the neutral zone it's fair game to kick.

TTUEagles
September 19th, 2017, 06:58 AM
No, as long as it doesn't cross the neutral zone it's fair game to kick.

It doesn't matter... there was no longer 'possession,' therefore, it was a loose ball and it is illegal to kick a loose football. If the PK picked it up, he could have drop-kicked it or punted it, but this should have been a penalty....I think.

TTUEagles
September 19th, 2017, 07:00 AM
http://www.footballzebras.com/2017/09/17/ruling-texas-lutherans-double-kicked-fg-good-not-good/

JayJ79
September 19th, 2017, 07:48 PM
so if the holder muffs the hold, is it deemed a fumble (and thus an un-kickable loose ball), even if he was able to pick up the ball, place it, and the kicker is able to kick it?

TTUEagles
September 19th, 2017, 08:15 PM
so if the holder muffs the hold, is it deemed a fumble (and thus an un-kickable loose ball), even if he was able to pick up the ball, place it, and the kicker is able to kick it?
If the holder picks it up and places it, he possess it and it can be kicked, meaning it is therefore not a loose ball.

cx500d
September 19th, 2017, 08:17 PM
If the holder picks it up and places it, he possess it and it can be kicked, meaning it is therefore not a loose ball.

But his knee is on the turf...I think he only gets a freebie off the snap?

TTUEagles
September 19th, 2017, 08:59 PM
But his knee is on the turf...I think he only gets a freebie off the snap?
You may be right, there...