TV: ESPN3

Series: 15-15-2
1st Game: 1928
Last Game: 2012

Last Villanova win: 9/30/09 (27-24)
Last Temple win: 8/31/12 (41-10)

CHIP72
September 3rd, 2017, 07:06 AM
I plan to be there (and will be sporting a Big Five T-shirt under a Temple jersey). I've been wanting to attend a Mayor's Cup game for a while, but the schedule didn't work because it was held on a weeknight; it was finally scheduled for a Saturday.

Go...gate
September 3rd, 2017, 02:01 PM
A fine old series.

Gangtackle11
September 4th, 2017, 02:23 PM
http://scout.com/college/villanova/Article/Villanova-Head-Coach-Ferrante-Talks-Lehigh-Temple-106935672

bluehenbillk
September 5th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Games are just scheduled 2017 & 2018 correct?

kdinva
September 5th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Games are just scheduled 2017 & 2018 correct?

for now, yes....

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/aac/temple-owls.php

Twyxx
September 5th, 2017, 07:07 PM
Nova letting Lehigh put up 35 is not a good sign for this Saturday. I doubt they will be able to keep pace with Temple, unless the new defensive coordinator was playing a little vanilla against Lehigh.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 5th, 2017, 07:17 PM
Nova letting Lehigh put up 35 is not a good sign for this Saturday. I doubt they will be able to keep pace with Temple, unless the new defensive coordinator was playing a little vanilla against Lehigh.

All things considered, outside of Armstead, Lehigh has better skill guys than Temple RIGHT NOW. In time we've proven to have good WR's so we'll see. I think the key for Temple will be running the ball. If the Owls keep pounding the ball at 'Nova I don't think they'll hold up for 60 minutes. 'Nova has a strong running game. Based on what ND did the Wildcats will move the ball on our defense. This should be a pretty interesting game. Temple is the "solid favorite" but 'Nova has a chance.

I'll take Temple 35-24

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 5th, 2017, 07:20 PM
for now, yes....

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/aac/temple-owls.php

The series will continue on a semi-regular (3-5 times per decade) basis. It benefits both schools and college football in Philly.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 5th, 2017, 07:23 PM
I plan to be there (and will be sporting a Big Five T-shirt under a Temple jersey). I've been wanting to attend a Mayor's Cup game for a while, but the schedule didn't work because it was held on a weeknight; it was finally scheduled for a Saturday.

I went in 2009 and 2010. Both were great games. I plan on getting to at least one Temple game this year. Temple @ Army seems extremely enticing. Lehigh has a bye that week.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 5th, 2017, 07:30 PM
This is the only true rivalry game that exists between FBS and FCS correct? W&M and UVA maybe the only on that comes close?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 7th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Temple game notes

http://www.owlsports.com/documents/2017/9/5//02_Villanova_Full.pdf

DirtyDukes
September 7th, 2017, 01:48 PM
I'm rooting for Nova but dag nabbit does Temple have a catchy fight song...

TEEEEEEEEEEE FOR TEMPLE UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU NIVERSI TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Gangtackle11
September 8th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Villanova game notes:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2017-18/release/release_20170907aaa.pdf

The Pud
September 8th, 2017, 05:53 PM
This is the only true rivalry game that exists between FBS and FCS correct? W&M and UVA maybe the only on that comes close?

Sammy vs. Texas A&M - these schools are only 30 miles apart.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 8th, 2017, 06:40 PM
Sammy vs. Texas A&M - these schools are only 30 miles apart.

I'm talking a legit rivalry. Not one made up due to geography. Temple and Villanova are huge hoop rivals dating back a 100 years. The Big 5 is entrenched in the culture of Philly sports. The football side has gotten popular the last 15 or so years. Ever since they beat us in our first game at the Linc.

Schism55
September 8th, 2017, 06:44 PM
NDSU and U of Minnesota....oh wait xeyebrowx

cx500d
September 8th, 2017, 06:45 PM

yeah, they won't play us

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 8th, 2017, 07:58 PM
One common misconception about Temple and Villanova is that both are private, religious institutions; 'Nova is, we are not. Temple is one of four state-related universities (Penn State, Pitt and Lincoln being the other three) in Pennsylvania . We've been so since the 1960's. We do have roots with the Baptist Church because of our founder Russell Conwell. Villanova's "church rival" is St. Joe's. That's why their Big 5 games are called the "Holy War".

Mayor's Cup wiki page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayor%27s_Cup_(Temple%E2%80%93Villanova)

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 8th, 2017, 08:19 PM

I could see it because of wrestling and other sports. If only you guys had hockey :D

ElCid
September 8th, 2017, 09:07 PM

I'm talking a legit rivalry. Not one made up due to geography. Temple and Villanova are huge hoop rivals dating back a 100 years. The Big 5 is entrenched in the culture of Philly sports. The football side has gotten popular the last 15 or so years. Ever since they beat us in our first game at the Linc.

Nova nd Temple have played 30 times (1930-2017). 6 times since 1980 with 3 Ws. W&M and UVA have played 36 times (1908-2017). 11 times since 1980 with 2 Ws.

I would add that The Citadel has played South Carolina 48 times (1909 - 2015) (more than either of these above). 6 times since 1980 with 2 Ws. That's pretty close as well. Pretty big rivals in Baseball. BBall not so much.

Gangtackle11
September 8th, 2017, 09:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=X82gi1FJ460&app=desktop

CHIP72
September 9th, 2017, 06:07 AM
Nova nd Temple have played 30 times (1930-2017). 6 times since 1980 with 3 Ws. W&M and UVA have played 36 times (1908-2017). 11 times since 1980 with 2 Ws.

I would add that The Citadel has played South Carolina 48 times (1909 - 2015) (more than either of these above). 6 times since 1980 with 2 Ws. That's pretty close as well. Pretty big rivals in Baseball. BBall not so much.

Do Virginia and South Carolina fans view William & Mary and The Citadel respectively as rivals? That's the real question in response to GLTUO's comment.

ElCid
September 9th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Do Virginia and South Carolina fans view William & Mary and The Citadel respectively as rivals? That's the real question in response to GLTUO's comment.

Probably not in Football simply due to pride and the fact that they don't like scheduling us any more...since we actually win sometimes. But probably they do in baseball where we have played them 109 times and win much more than in FB, so as a school as a whole, probably they do. But it is hard as they schools are different. Just not in football specific. But I seriously doubt Temple views Nova as a football specific rival either. BBall I understand.

CHIP72
September 9th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Believe me, most Temple fans view Villanova as a rival (and the reverse is true as well). Many Temple fans welcome the opportunity to play the Wildcats on the gridiron, thinking it gives the Owls an opportunity to pound their (Philadelphia) Main Line rivals. (The football Big Five matchup also always draws a good crowd too.) Other Temple fans hate Villanova so much that they don't want TU to play VU in football for fear the Owls will lose; they want to view Villanova as irrelevant in football. (Many of the fans in this category were very concerned when there were rumblings Villanova would move up to FBS/DI-A a few years ago and join the Big East before the football version of that league imploded.) Finally, there are a few fans (like me) who are old school Philadelphia Big Five/City Six fans and will have a favorite among the schools but will root for the other schools when they aren't playing their school. (For me personally my faves are Temple in football - largely because they are at the DI-A level - and St. Joe's and Penn in basketball.) There aren't many Temple fans who are indifferent about Villanova.

Regardless of how any Temple fans feel about Villanova (or how VU fans view TU), the focus on Temple or Villanova (or Penn) football in the Philadelphia area is dwarfed by the media and fan focus on the Philadelphia Eagles. (I've said, only slightly tongue-in-cheek, that between the NFL and college football in the Philadelphia area, the Eagles get 90% of the coverage, Temple and Penn State combined get 9% of the coverage, Villanova and Penn combined get 0.9% of the coverage, and all other local/regional D2/D3 schools combined get the remaining 0.1% of the coverage.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gangtackle11
September 9th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Probably not in Football simply due to pride and the fact that they don't like scheduling us any more...since we actually win sometimes. But probably they do in baseball where we have played them 109 times and win much more than in FB, so as a school as a whole, probably they do. But it is hard as they schools are different. Just not in football specific. But I seriously doubt Temple views Nova as a football specific rival either. BBall I understand.

They don't anymore. Temple fans still hate us & want their football team to crush us to make up for the recent hardcourt troubles with the 'Cats. Loyal Nova fan, but puncher's chance at a win today. I'll be there to witness it.

VUCats02
September 9th, 2017, 10:35 AM
Lines out in Vegas. Temple -6. Wow. Was expecting a 12 or 13 pt line.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Lines out in Vegas. Temple -6. Wow. Was expecting a 12 or 13 pt line.

I think JMU-ECU and Stony Brook-USF opened some eyes. Villanova will have our full attention. Even our regular clueless fans on the scout board are being humble heading into today.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2017, 10:43 AM
They don't anymore. Temple fans still hate us & want their football team to crush us to make up for the recent hardcourt troubles with the 'Cats. Loyal Nova fan, but puncher's chance at a win today. I'll be there to witness it.

Once Dunphy retires we might have a shot again in hoops. Until then we won't get top tier AAC/National talent.

We've basically always sucked in football so the last decade or so of success has blurred some people's vision. A top shelf FCS team is still capable of giving us a good game most years....

CHIP72
September 9th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Temple's inability to run the ball so far in this game does not bode well for this season. From the VU point of view, good bounce back so far from their shaky defensive performance against Lehigh.

Temple up 3-0 with 1:07 left in the 1st quarter.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Temple's inability to run the ball so far in this game does not bode well for this season. From the VU point of view, good bounce back so far from their shaky defensive performance against Lehigh.

Temple up 3-0 with 1:07 left in the 1st quarter.

I can't get the espn3 stream to work! We should be able to outmuscle them. But they're hanging around after 1Q

CHIP72
September 9th, 2017, 03:29 PM
I can't get the espn3 stream to work! We should be able to outmuscle them. But they're hanging around after 1Q

Some people on the Temple Scout board are having the same issue.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 9th, 2017, 03:35 PM
The WatchESPN streams are struggling for the second straight week.

Nova09
September 9th, 2017, 03:39 PM
2 straight would be sacks saved by holds, 2 big completions. Love these temple refs

Nova09
September 9th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Off the post. That's nova kicking

CHIP72
September 9th, 2017, 03:46 PM
The teams exchange missed FGs (TU wide left from 49 yards, VU square off the left upright from 42 yards). Still 3-0 Temple late in the 2nd quarter.

Nova09
September 9th, 2017, 03:48 PM
2 defenders should each intercept, both whiff and wr catches

- - - Updated - - -

For those not watching, nova legit drop wide open at 15 on 3rd down before missed fg

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Huge review coming! video is working..

Nova09
September 9th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Not a catch, but prob too close to overtrun

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2017, 03:54 PM
TD Owls on the last play of the 1st half!!

Nova09
September 9th, 2017, 03:54 PM
And taurus phillips turns a 7-3 halftime lead to a 0-10 deficit

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Temple 10 Villanova 0 Half

CHIP72
September 9th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Villanova's coaches have to be disappointed with their lack of a running game after their success against Lehigh (and Temple's poor performance against Notre Dame) last week.

The VU offense hasn't done too much, so maybe their last offensive possession (their best if the game so far; they probably score at least 3 points if the WR doesn't drop a pass on 3rd down at the 15 yard line) can get the Wildcats going.

CHIP72
September 9th, 2017, 04:02 PM
Temple will get the ball to start the 2nd half. That's a big possession - if the Owls build on their last 1st half possession, they can take control of the game, while if the VU defense can get a 3 and out or a turnover, the Wildcats can get back right in the game.

Nova09
September 9th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Temple will get the ball to start the 2nd half. That's a big possession - if the Owls build on their last 1st half possession, they can take control of the game, while if the VU defense can get a 3 and out or a turnover, the Wildcats can get back right in the game.

Don't know how much you can build off a back judge not knowing the difference between a catch and trap

CHIP72
September 9th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Temple moves the ball on their first 3rd quarter possession, but a poor Marchi pass kills the drive and the Owls settle for 3 points. I think that's still a win for the Wildcats; they remain within two scores. Now 13-0 TU with 12:01 left in Q3.

Nova09
September 9th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Another flat out drop in redzone prevents nova points. When i say drops, i dont mean got a hand on it. These are wide open perfect throw drops.

Nova09
September 9th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Phillips absolutely has to catch that punt

CHIP72
September 9th, 2017, 04:38 PM
Villanova has had a couple big drops today. The WR position (one of Temple's best units) is probably the biggest difference between the teams).

CHIP72
September 9th, 2017, 04:39 PM
I think Villanova has to get points on this possession (the one starting with 7:07 left in Q3).

Nova09
September 9th, 2017, 04:42 PM
ANOTHER (technically 1 foot short) redzone drop

Nova09
September 9th, 2017, 04:44 PM
Targeting?

Nova09
September 9th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Onside kick executed perfectly! Except wr dropped it...twice

CHIP72
September 9th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Villanova is shooting themselves in the foot every time they threaten the end zone (though TU's defense is playing a role in that too). Still, VU still has a chance/TU hasn't put the game away yet.

Nova09
September 9th, 2017, 05:06 PM
And a drop! Drive wouldnt be complete without it

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much needs to be a td drive at this point

Nova09
September 9th, 2017, 05:07 PM
There it is!

Nova09
September 9th, 2017, 05:13 PM
Should be safety such obvious hold with qb in endzone

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2017, 05:15 PM
Just got home from dinner. 13-10 Nova with a little over 9 minutes left...

citdog
September 9th, 2017, 05:19 PM
I would LOVE IT if the "AGS Head Douche" was SUPER embarrased TWICE today! le high was Top 10 worthy he said AND Temple losing. He's an expert though lol lol lol

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2017, 05:23 PM
I would LOVE IT if the "AGS Head Douche" was SUPER embarrased TWICE today! le high was Top 10 worthy he said AND Temple losing. He's an expert though lol lol lol

It's a football a game no one has control over...lol. I fully expected this to be close. We're not very good....

citdog
September 9th, 2017, 05:25 PM
It's a football a game no one has control over...lol. I fully expected this to be close. We're not very good....

But "the FCS is small time and for fun compared to the mighty FBS" you said....

Nova09
September 9th, 2017, 05:33 PM
WOW these refs are taling care of temple

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Temple driving....and taking time of the clock..

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2017, 05:37 PM
FG Good!!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Temple strips the ball from the 'Nova runner and recovers! We're going to survive!!

Nova09
September 9th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Wtf was gudzak doing

CHIP72
September 9th, 2017, 06:13 PM
But "the FCS is small time and for fun compared to the mighty FBS" you said....

That's what the media and general college football fans think...

citdog
September 9th, 2017, 06:24 PM
That's what the media and general college football fans think...

I'm in the media and I don't think so. It's only douchenozzles like le high owl**** who believe that to be true...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 9th, 2017, 06:49 PM
I'm in the media and I don't think so. It's only douchenozzles like le high owl**** who believe that to be true...

I simply said FBS>FCS or in simple terms, FBS is superior than FCS. It is. Outcomes of cherry picked games does not change anything. I don't understand how an educated person can dispute that. The won/loss record speaks for itself. Then there's facilities, budgets, recruiting, NFL talent, coaching talent etc. I love both subdivisions. I have no idea what you're arguing or trying to prove other than simply showing yourself to be a miserable person.

Find some happiness man, seriously...

citdog
September 9th, 2017, 07:01 PM
I simply said FBS>FCS or in simple terms, FBS is superior than FCS. It is. Outcomes of cherry picked games does not change anything. I don't understand how an educated person can dispute that. The won/loss record speaks for itself. Then there's facilities, budgets, recruiting, NFL talent, coaching talent etc. I love both subdivisions. I have no idea what you're arguing or trying to prove other than simply showing yourself to be a miserable person.

Find some happiness man, seriously...

All of those are YOUR words BRO. YOU defend them. So today was the fbs "clearly superior" to the FCS?

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 9th, 2017, 07:27 PM
Citidog is killing it right now!

CHIP72
September 9th, 2017, 07:32 PM
See Go Lehigh TUOwl, you are making the assumption the South Carolina-bred Citdog is an educated person...

Gangtackle11
September 10th, 2017, 08:08 AM
I think the argument needs to be refined a bit.

P5>FCS

G5 only slightly better than >FCS (top FCS teams better or just as good as G5)

CHIP72
September 10th, 2017, 09:26 AM
I think the argument needs to be refined a bit.

P5>FCS

G5 only slightly better than >FCS (top FCS teams better or just as good as G5)

I think this is generally accurate. The top G5 teams are better than the top FCS teams, but they aren't dramatically better.

I'd add that probably the top 10-15, maybe top 20, P5 teams would beat the top FCS teams 90+% of the time.

On a related note, yesterday's results make me concerned about THREE teams this year - Temple, Lehigh, AND Villanova. If a likely decent but unspectacular FCS team like Monmouth can solidly beat a Lehigh team that Villanova barely edged, that makes me wonder how good Villanova is (and makes me concerned about how good/decent Lehigh and the Patriot League as a whole are). Hopefully the Wildcats will improve, especially in CAA play, as the season progresses. It was a good sign for VU that they significantly outplayed Temple for the entire 2nd half after the Owls' first offensive possession of that half.

citdog
September 10th, 2017, 10:00 AM
See Go Lehigh TUOwl, you are making the assumption the South Carolina-bred Citdog is an educated person...

Your anti Southern bigotry is noted.

CHIP72
September 10th, 2017, 11:27 AM
Your anti Southern bigotry is noted.

Noooo, it is just my anti-South Carolina bigotry, Citdog...

citdog
September 10th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Noooo, it is just my anti-South Carolina bigotry, Citdog...

Do I take it that you are insulting me and the GALLANT State of my birth?

My second will call upon you.