PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 1 (Plus)

carney2
August 21st, 2017, 11:50 AM
Football at last! “Week One” covers 2 weekends this time around.

Saturday, August 26
COLGATE @ Cal Poly

Thursday, August 31
HOLY CROSS @ Connecticut

Friday, September 1
FORDHAM @ Army

Saturday, September 2
Villanova @ LEHIGH
LAFAYETTE @ Monmouth
Marist @ BUCKNELL

Bye: GEORGETOWN

Game of the Week: Villanova @ LEHIGH
Lots of interesting games here, including a loooong road trip, two FBS money games, and a new coach making his debut, but, there is no doubt that the biggie is Villanova’s short drive up the Northeast Extension to Goodman Stadium. You can give us all the “it’s only one game,” “there’s still the League schedule to come,” and the other usual platitudinal horse twaddle, but this is the season for the Brownclads. This is the toughest (only?) test on their traditionally lackluster schedule. They are picked to win the League and end the season in the playoffs. Are the ChickenSquawks ready for prime time, or are they just another Patriot League pretender?

citdog
August 21st, 2017, 12:12 PM
It's HILARIOUS that patsy league folks refer to games with West Point and UConn as "FBS money games".

RichH2
August 21st, 2017, 12:39 PM
It's HILARIOUS that patsy league folks refer to games with West Point and UConn as "FBS money games".
Just being accurate citdog. They are money games just not body bag games.

LUHawker
August 21st, 2017, 12:47 PM
Football at last! “Week One” covers 2 weekends this time around.

Game of the Week: Villanova @ LEHIGH
Lots of interesting games here, including a loooong road trip, two FBS money games, and a new coach making his debut, but, there is no doubt that the biggie is Villanova’s short drive up the Northeast Extension to Goodman Stadium. You can give us all the “it’s only one game,” “there’s still the League schedule to come,” and the other usual platitudinal horse twaddle, but this is the season for the Brownclads. This is the toughest (only?) test on their traditionally lackluster schedule. They are picked to win the League and end the season in the playoffs. Are the ChickenSquawks ready for prime time, or are they just another Patriot League pretender?

Well Carney sure is starting off the season in spicy form. At the very least, Fordham and Colgate might beg to differ that this is Lehigh's "only" test. I'd agree that the schedule is "lackluster" for its lack of variety, but it hasn't been filled with soft teams. JMU, Nova, UNH, Penn, Princeton have been regulars over the past few years, so it's not weak, just boring.

I'm saving my Lehigh-Villanova pick until next week when I see more reports, but I think this is a pick-em. Very few of the CAA folks and none of the Nova folks seem to think Lehigh will win. I think too much "recency" bias stemming from the UNH playoff game is coloring predictions.

RichH2
August 21st, 2017, 12:48 PM
Mostly homer picks this week
Gate
UCONN
Fordham
Lehigh
Monmouth
Bucknell.
Perhaps too much wishful thinking but what the hell. :)

Fordham
August 21st, 2017, 02:03 PM
aaaaaand, time to trot out the old adage that 'no one ever went broke picking against the PL in the OOC openers"

All but Bucknell are dogs, right? Agreed that Lehigh is the marquee game but a really great group of openers overall (by PL standards, citdog)

carney2
August 21st, 2017, 02:04 PM
COLGATE @ Cal Poly – The ‘gaters with many questions go to the left coast to play a Top 25 team. They will be in over their heads

HOLY CROSS @ Connecticut – Pujals is back for his last hurrah, and will give the Cross offense a chance in almost every game they play. UConn is not exactly a class FBS program, but the overall talent gap should still be too much for Prince Peter to overcome.

FORDHAM @ Army – Edmonds will get some yards and the Rams will score some points, but this should not be competitive in the 4th quarter.

Villanova @ LEHIGH – The Squawks will score, but this one is on the BrownTurds’ defense. Can they hold a good team? Could be an exciting game, but probably won’t be a win for the home team.

LAFAYETTE @ Monmouth – A winnable game for the Pards, but probably not in game one of the Garrett era.

Marist @ BUCKNELL – Bucky devours yet another cupcake.

PAllen
August 21st, 2017, 02:13 PM
Cal Poly - Colgate has a history of looking bad in early OOC, especially when travelling out west.
UConn - The Huskies are just too much for HC, Pujols or not.
Fordham - Army has gotten better, but I'll go with the Rams in this one.
Lehigh - This could be a close one, so I'll go with my heart now.
Lafayette - Thinking the new coaching staff gets things turned around in a hurry, and they will be doing everything to prep for a win here.
Bucknell - It's Marist, and the Bison are at home.

Surprised the game of the week isn't Colgate/Cal Poly.

carney2
August 21st, 2017, 04:16 PM
Surprised the game of the week is Colgate/Cal Poly.

Really surprised you said that.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 21st, 2017, 04:18 PM

THIS weeks game of the week is Colgate/Cal Poly, NEXT week's game of the week is Nova/Lehigh

citdog
August 21st, 2017, 04:26 PM
Just being accurate citdog. They are money games just not body bag games.

https://i.imgflip.com/1bgfsf.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
August 21st, 2017, 04:32 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/1bgfsf.jpg

Fordham's and Penn's losses to Lehigh will come later in the year

youcanbankit
August 21st, 2017, 04:33 PM
Colgate @ CAL POLY

HOLY CROSS @ Connecticut

Fordham@ ARMY

VILLANOVA @ Lehigh

LAFAYETTE @ Monmouth

Marist @ BUCKNELL

Bank it! xlolx

van
August 21st, 2017, 04:58 PM
COLGATE @ Cal Poly, tough road trip

HOLY CROSS @ Connecticut, cross in over their head this week

FORDHAM @ Army, Rams can score but doubt they can stop knights

Villanova @ LEHIGH, homer pick but I like our chances in Goodman

LAFAYETTE @ Monmouth, first game for new QB could get ugly

Marist @ BUCKNELL, next twinkie please

PAllen
August 21st, 2017, 08:34 PM

typo fixed, and yeah, I'm surprised. Two potentially great matchups, gotta go with the cross country trip over the meeting for the umpteenth time.

TheValleyRaider
August 21st, 2017, 09:41 PM
Week 0 baby!

Don't feel like picking the others yet, will hold off until next week.

Saturday, August 26
Colgate at Cal Poly Colgate Fascinating Patriot League-Big Sky matchup, not an OOC contest you usually see. This is an intriguing measuring stick, given how little East/West coast crossover there is at the FCS level. CP is coming off a playoff trip, while the 'Gate came up a bit shorter from 2015's great run. Lots of roster questions for the Raiders to answer, but they've had all summer to prep for the triple option. It didn't go quite so well against Air Force and Navy, but the Mustangs aren't quite at that level. Whatever happens, it'll be fun to watch.

bonarae
August 21st, 2017, 11:35 PM
Cal Poly
UConn
Army
Lehigh
Monmouth
Bucknell

Most lopsided game for this 2 week set: toss-up between Monmouth-Lafayette and Bucknell-Marist (close at hand: UConn-Holy Cross)
Closest game score-wise: Villanova-Lehigh ('Nova has a lot of question marks...) - it's possible that Colgate can keep it close against the Mustangs but by the second half, it'll get ugly.

CFBfan
August 22nd, 2017, 06:56 AM
Cal Poly
UConn
Army
Lehigh
Monmouth
Bucknell

Most lopsided game for this 2 week set: toss-up between Monmouth-Lafayette and Bucknell-Marist (close at hand: UConn-Holy Cross)
Closest game score-wise: Villanova-Lehigh ('Nova has a lot of question marks...) - it's possible that Colgate can keep it close against the Mustangs but by the second half, it'll get ugly.

i think "killa bee" is looking for another house to loose on this one

crusader11
August 22nd, 2017, 08:52 AM
Home teams across the board...

COLGATE @ Cal Poly
HOLY CROSS @ Connecticut
FORDHAM @ Army
Villanova @ LEHIGH
LAFAYETTE @ Monmouth
Marist @ BUCKNELL

Fordham
August 22nd, 2017, 09:23 AM
crusader - what's the word on UCONN this year?

KillaBee
August 22nd, 2017, 10:03 AM
i think "killa bee" is looking for another house to loose on this one

You have resurrected THE KILLA BEE!!!!

This is the time of year where my fellow bees get ugly.. Be careful.. WE DO STING!!!

I am betting the many many many houses... That All Patriot League teams will win, except Lehigh!!!

It feels great to be buzzing and as always,, I am totally correct with my predictions!!! Take your 401K's, rental properties, trust funds, coins in a sock and bet .. that The Leopards will beat down Monmouth!!!!!

crusader11
August 22nd, 2017, 10:38 AM
crusader - what's the word on UCONN this year?

Don't know much about them. It seems like they're in a program in disarray with the firing of Bob Diaco after just three seasons and then bringing back Randy Edsall. Plus, they were picked to finish last in the mediocre AAC after losing their final six games last season. UConn will also be breaking in a JUCO transfer QB against HC.

I think HC can keep it close for 2-3 quarters, but the size, speed, and depth is something that HC will eventually succumb to.

RichH2
August 22nd, 2017, 10:53 AM
Don't know much about them. It seems like they're in a program in disarray with the firing of Bob Diaco after just three seasons and then bringing back Randy Edsall. Plus, they were picked to finish last in the mediocre AAC after losing their final six games last season. UConn will also be breaking in a JUCO transfer QB against HC.

I think HC can keep it close for 2-3 quarters, but the size, speed, and depth is something that HC will eventually succumb to.
Agree. Edsall is an SOB but one hell of a coach. They will be better, not good, this year.Expect a close game but UCONN likely to hold on for W.

Gangtackle11
August 22nd, 2017, 11:00 AM
Cal Poly 24 Colgate 21
UConn 35 Holy Cross 17
Army 28 Fordham 24
Villanova 28 Lehigh 20
Monmouth 24 Lafayette 17
Bucknell 17 Marist 3

World
August 22nd, 2017, 11:02 AM
Saturday, August 26
COLGATE @ Cal Poly

Thursday, August 31
HOLY CROSS @ Connecticut

Friday, September 1
FORDHAM @ Army

Saturday, September 2
Villanova @ LEHIGH
LAFAYETTE @ Monmouth
Marist @ BUCKNELL

Gangtackle11
August 22nd, 2017, 11:03 AM
Well Carney sure is starting off the season in spicy form. At the very least, Fordham and Colgate might beg to differ that this is Lehigh's "only" test. I'd agree that the schedule is "lackluster" for its lack of variety, but it hasn't been filled with soft teams. JMU, Nova, UNH, Penn, Princeton have been regulars over the past few years, so it's not weak, just boring.

I'm saving my Lehigh-Villanova pick until next week when I see more reports, but I think this is a pick-em. Very few of the CAA folks and none of the Nova folks seem to think Lehigh will win. I think too much "recency" bias stemming from the UNH playoff game is coloring predictions.

Stop our run game & you may win. Don't see a Lehigh win if Nova is anywhere close to the 400+ yards are gained again on the ground. I'm still waiting for someone in Lehigh's secondary to make a tackle against a CAA running back. Don't think I saw one last season unless you count tackles on touchdown runs.

LUHawker
August 22nd, 2017, 11:24 AM
Stop our run game & you may win. Don't see a Lehigh win if Nova is anywhere close to the 400+ yards are gained again on the ground. I'm still waiting for someone in Lehigh's secondary to make a tackle against a CAA running back. Don't think I saw one last season unless you count tackles on touchdown runs.

Well, I can't disagree and LOL on the touchdown run comment. While I can't and wouldn't suggest LU's run defense was good, I think that sadly you saw LU's defense before it improved vs. Penn (and we got some guys back on the edge) and then again vs. UNH when we had a bunch of late season injuries, especially to LB Caslow who was the heart-and-soul of the D. I have a hard time predicting Lehigh's defense at this point, given a new DC and new scheme (at least modified scheme). However, if I was seeing things from your vantage point, I'd probably make the same assessment.

Just one last point. Despite LU giving up 400+ yards, Lehigh was right there to pull the upset. QB Shafniskly hadn't learned to throw a deep ball yet vs. VU (one surefire TD that was overthrown and one INT in the end zone that was underthrown). They are just two plays over the course of the game, but they really changed the momentum. I hope to be at Goodman to see this game.

BucBisonAtLarge
August 22nd, 2017, 11:37 AM
Colgate- I don't think Poly is a top-25 team but this is my big upset of this stretch.
Connecticut- These games were a big deal in the old Yankee Conference era...
Army- Go Rams.
Villanova- It is Ferrante's first game, however.
Monmouth- Not yet, 'pards
Bucknell- wow, I am a little queasy about even this pick... eesh

Lehigh Football Nation
August 22nd, 2017, 11:53 AM

Haha, this is great bulletin board stuff

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 22nd, 2017, 12:05 PM

And your offense better score more than 24 points this year if they want to win. As bad as Lehigh's defense was your offense was equally bad. Bednarczyzk is a fringe D1 QB and your WR's will not strike fear in anyone.

Fordham
August 22nd, 2017, 12:22 PM
Agree. Edsall is an SOB but one hell of a coach. They will be better, not good, this year.Expect a close game but UCONN likely to hold on for W.

Agreed. He'll have them playing well shortly but I don't know if it will be by game 1. Best time to ever play UCONN imo is after this transition as they try to implement new schemes and the players and staff are still getting used to one another. I could see HC giving them a good game and having a shot. If they somehow win it, look out as it would be a huge confidence boost for what I think is a talented but unconfident group of players

Gangtackle11
August 22nd, 2017, 01:52 PM
And your offense better score more than 24 points this year if they want to win. As bad as Lehigh's defense was your offense was equally bad. Bednarczyzk is a fringe D1 QB and your WR's will not strike fear in anyone.

52 rushes for 396 yards. Look familiar? Nova is deeper in the backfield this season. That should give you cause for concern.

Maybe just maybe if you can keep them under 200. Let's not give Mayes the Walter Payton award because Villanova's defense isn't Yale. He may find himself horizontal more than you think.

I say it's a good game, but Villanova conservative offense will find a way to win & keep it close at the same time.28-20 Cats.

Gangtackle11
August 22nd, 2017, 02:15 PM
Haha, this is great bulletin board stuff

Too bad bulletin boards went out with Slinkys.

I suggest you get someone to show you how to get on Twitter.

RichH2
August 22nd, 2017, 02:58 PM
Too bad bulletin boards went out with Slinkys.

I suggest you get someone to show you how to get on Twitter.
You really should follow him on twitter.
And no bulletin boards still around. Some really nice quotes from you. Not surprised if a few wind up in the lockeroom. :)

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 22nd, 2017, 03:07 PM
52 rushes for 396 yards. Look familiar? Nova is deeper in the backfield this season. That should give you cause for concern.

Maybe just maybe if you can keep them under 200. Let's not give Mayes the Walter Payton award because Villanova's defense isn't Yale. He may find himself horizontal more than you think.

I say it's a good game, but Villanova conservative offense will find a way to win & keep it close at the same time.28-20 Cats.

Lehigh is going to be really good on offense. I know 'Nova's defense is legit but next to JMU, Lehigh might be the best unit they face. The OLine is going to be topshelf by FCS standards. One thing this Lehigh team has is 5th year guys like there are in the CAA. The 2011 team had them as well.

I know you keep saying that a loss to Lehigh could be damaging to Villanova's playoff chances because of the remaining CAA schedule. Maybe, just maybe, Lehigh is the 2nd or 3rd best FCS team 'Nova plays. That's not a reach at all. Villanova likely will end up being the best or second best team Lehigh plays unless Penn rolls and 'Nova ends up 6-5/5-6.

Gangtackle11
August 22nd, 2017, 03:24 PM
You really should follow him on twitter.
And no bulletin boards still around. Some really nice quotes from you. Not surprised if a few wind up in the lockeroom. :)

If your team needs comments from a guy on a fan forum to pump them up then so be it.

I'm sure Villanova players could care less about what any of you Lehigh jokers are writing here. The players will decide the game. I like Nova's chances.

Sorry I bruise the egos of the Patsie champs. I guess me saying it will be a close game isn't enough. Go run tell your players there is a Nova meanie who questions their defense. Please.....

Gangtackle11
August 22nd, 2017, 03:29 PM
Lehigh is going to be really good on offense. I know 'Nova's defense is legit but next to JMU, Lehigh might be the best unit they face. The OLine is going to be topshelf by FCS standards. One thing this Lehigh team has is 5th year guys like there are in the CAA. The 2011 team had them as well.

I know you keep saying that a loss to Lehigh could be damaging to Villanova's playoff chances because of the remaining CAA schedule. Maybe, just maybe, Lehigh is the 2nd or 3rd best FCS team 'Nova plays. That's not a reach at all. Villanova likely will end up being the best or second best team Lehigh plays unless Penn rolls and 'Nova ends up 6-5/5-6.

Maybe, but even if you guys are 10-1 or 11-0 there is better than 50-50 chance you'll get rolled when the playoff competition stiffens.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 22nd, 2017, 03:31 PM
I'm sure Villanova players could care less about what any of you Lehigh jokers are writing here. The players will decide the game. I like Nova's chances.

You're absolutely right, Lehigh has no chance.

PAllen
August 22nd, 2017, 03:39 PM

I'm still waiting for someone in Lehigh's secondary to make a tackle against anybody for less than a 20yd gain. I've been waiting for a few years.

Gangtackle11
August 22nd, 2017, 03:46 PM
I'm still waiting for someone in Lehigh's secondary to make a tackle against anybody for less than a 20yd gain. I've been waiting for a few years.

Better take it back or your Lehigh cronies will tell the team.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 22nd, 2017, 03:57 PM
Maybe, but even if you guys are 10-1 or 11-0 there is better than 50-50 chance you'll get rolled when the playoff competition stiffens.

Your ignorance towards Lehigh is a bit silly. It has been from the start. Last year an anomaly relative to previous playoffs in terms of the result. Lehigh is 5-3 (including a 1 point loss to an eventual champ) in the 1st/2nd (2011) round of the playoffs so actual history suggests a better than 50-50 chance they win when they competition "stiffens".....

Gangtackle11
August 22nd, 2017, 04:01 PM
Your ignorance towards Lehigh is a bit silly. It has been from the start. Last year an anomaly relative to previous playoffs in terms of the result. Lehigh is 5-3 (including a 1 point loss to an eventual champ) in the 1st round in the playoffs so actual history suggests a better than 50-50 chance they win when they competition "stiffens".....

ok .625.....happy now? ....most get my point... you are blinded by your Patsy prowess. I'm talking about this team not the 1903 team that beat Nova 71-0.

This team doesn't stop the run their chances of beating Nova are slim. Not zero, but slim.

My impression is your back 7 will not be able to help your Fearsome Foursome. That will spell trouble IMHO. I've watched a few of your games (not the 1903 team) & I don't see it. I can't believe you have enough impact freshman either to replace the poor tacklers.

That irritates you guys for some reason. Maybe you are related to the poor tacklers? Sorry. I won't mention names.

As for Nova we lose at Lehigh we most likely are a 6-5 ballclub. Lehigh is probably the 4th or 5th best team we will see all season. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 22nd, 2017, 04:06 PM
ok .625.....happy now? ....most get my point... you are blinded by your Patsy prowess. I'm talking about this team not the 1903 team that beat Nova 71-0.

This team doesn't stop the run their chances of beating Nova are slim. Not zero, but slim. That irritates you guys for some reason.

Yards don't equal points. I'll give 'Nova 250 yards rushing and 24 points and take my chances....

Gangtackle11
August 22nd, 2017, 04:20 PM
Yards don't equal points. I'll give 'Nova 250 yards rushing and 24 points and take my chances....

You lose 24-21 last season if you give Nova 24 with Nick. I'll take it.

Nova has a 1st team AA safety, a 2 time All-CAA Cb, & 2 senior Dbs. They also have an All- CAA LB & one who as sophomore arguably should have been. Nova is loaded where you are strong on offense. We shall see.

BTW: you can give them 250, but the team gave them 396.

crusader11
August 22nd, 2017, 04:51 PM
What Vegas says:

Colgate +7.5
Fordham +15.5
Lafayette +6
Lehigh +6.5
HC +21
Bucknell -10.5

Go...gate
August 22nd, 2017, 07:11 PM
I can see the adrenaline is beginning to flow out on the Main Line and in the Lehigh Valley....

RichH2
August 22nd, 2017, 07:30 PM
I can see the adrenaline is beginning to flow out on the Main Line and in the Lehigh Valley....
:) Getting quite chippy and game isnt til next Saturday.

Gangtackle11
August 22nd, 2017, 08:21 PM

All good fun. We win PL games at around a 90% clip so it's not much of a concern. Only thing that is scary is the Lehigh bulletin board. xpeacex

carney2
August 24th, 2017, 11:01 AM
At the very least, Fordham and Colgate might beg to differ that this is Lehigh's "only" test.

Not attempting to steal citidog's pulpit, but Patsy League games are not real tests by national standards, until proven otherwise.

RichH2
August 24th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Not attempting to steal citidog's pulpit, but Patsy League games are not real tests by national standards, until proven otherwise.
Sadly true. Up to us to alter that perception.

DFW HOYA
August 24th, 2017, 03:12 PM
All good fun. We win PL games at around a 90% clip so it's not much of a concern. xpeacex

Start scheduling Georgetown and that number will change. Well, one way or the other...xlolx

Lehigh'98
August 24th, 2017, 03:31 PM
CP 42 - Colgate 21
UConn 51 - HC 0
Nova 35 - Lehigh 14
Lafayette 34 - Monmouth 7
Army 37 - Fordham 27
Marist 6 - Bucknell 3

The Boogie Down
August 24th, 2017, 04:01 PM
CP 42 - Colgate 21
UConn 51 - HC 0
Nova 35 - Lehigh 14
Lafayette 34 - Monmouth 7
Army 37 - Fordham 27
Marist 6 - Bucknell 3

Some of those scores really made me laugh, yet at the same time, none would surprise me!

citdog
August 24th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Your ignorance towards Lehigh is a bit silly. It has been from the start. Last year an anomaly relative to previous playoffs in terms of the result. Lehigh is 5-3 (including a 1 point loss to an eventual champ) in the 1st/2nd (2011) round of the playoffs so actual history suggests a better than 50-50 chance they win when they competition "stiffens".....

Bro you couldn't stay within 7 touchdowns of a VERY mediocre New Hampshire squad.

Gangtackle11
August 24th, 2017, 04:31 PM
Start scheduling Georgetown and that number will change. Well, one way or the other...xlolx

I don't think it's Nova that wouldn't play this game anymore. I don't think your AD is looking for any game with a schollie CAA program.

Nova recruits heavily in the DC/Virginia area.

KPSUL
August 24th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Cal Poly 24 Colgate 21
UConn 35 Holy Cross 17
Army 28 Fordham 24
Villanova 28 Lehigh 20
Monmouth 24 Lafayette 17
Bucknell 17 Marist 3

I agree with these picks; however, increase the estimated scoring among the PL's opponents by about 50%, and redistribute among the opposing teams as you see fit. Then you'll be right on target. i.e. :

CAL Poly 40 - Colgate 21
UConn 45 - Holy Cross 17
Army 42 - Fordham 24
Villanova 35 - Lehigh 20
Monmouth 36 - Lafayette 17
Bucknell 17 - Marist 10

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 24th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Bro you couldn't stay within 7 touchdowns of a VERY mediocre New Hampshire squad.

Yet came within 3 of 'Nova of the road. They needed a late TD to win. Neither of which matters now....

Lehigh'98
August 24th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Yet came within 3 of 'Nova of the road. They needed a late TD to win. Neither of which matters now....

Let's not start playing up losses.

Gangtackle11
August 24th, 2017, 06:58 PM

It was 26-21 so 5, but point taken. Nova - 6 1/2 about right. 28-20 final. See you there.xpeacex

May be closer if you keep your players from peeing in the townie's refrigerators. xpeacex

RichH2
August 24th, 2017, 07:10 PM
True enough but an L. Right now not much to say to Nova and UNH posts. Up to us to prove them wrong. Past records are not all that relevant to 2 Ls to them last year.

DFW HOYA
August 24th, 2017, 08:39 PM
I don't think it's Nova that wouldn't play this game anymore. I don't think your AD is looking for any game with a schollie CAA program.

The athletic director does not schedule games, that's the responsibility of the head coach. But here are some facts to consider:

1. Georgetown can't fill its future schedules with Ivy teams. Harvard and Princeton did not renew series ending this year. Future schedules with Penn and Yale don't include GU, at least not yet. Dartmouth is full through 2022 and includes only one game with GU, a home game. Same too for Cornell. A series with Columbia runs through 2021 but that's the only common opponent going forward.

2. Local teams, particularly Howard and including Towson, are wholly uninterested in games if it means giving up a guarantee game elsewhere. Howard dropped its series with Georgetown in 2011, and Towson hasn't been on the schedule in 15 years.

3. This year's opener at Campbell will not be returned by Campbell, just as St. Francis (PA) did a home-only in 2015.

In short, Georgetown needs to schedule Div. I opponents. if they don't, you might look for PSAC teams on the schedule before too long, which won't be well received in Patriot circles.

Villanova may be the only football opponent that will raise heightened interest by Georgetown students and alumni. And who knows, maybe Villanova can bring back the Grocery Bowl and host the Hoyas in Center City.

Bill
August 24th, 2017, 09:55 PM
Saturday, August 26
COLGATE @ Cal Poly CP, 32 - 22. Would love to see the Red Raiders win...but not feeling good about this one.

Thursday, August 31
HOLY CROSS @ Connecticut - UConn, 45 - 17. HC definitely had a shot when Gordie Lockbaum was playing...but this is 2017 and UConn's not in the Yankee Conference anymore.

Friday, September 1
FORDHAM @ Army...Army, 22-20. I think Fordham should win this, but I am going with Michie Stadium in this early matchup.

Saturday, September 2
Villanova @ LEHIGH - I have yet to see Lehigh play high quality team defense since the Gilmore/Morrison years as DC...so I have no choice but to pick Nova. Nova, 42-30.
LAFAYETTE @ Monmouth - Monmouth, 20-17. It's a rough start for the PL.
Marist @ BUCKNELL -Taking the Bison as my only PL pick this week. Uggh. Bison, 22-16.

Bye: GEORGETOWN

bgsmitty43
August 25th, 2017, 01:35 PM
The athletic director does not schedule games, that's the responsibility of the head coach. But here are some facts to consider:

1. Georgetown can't fill its future schedules with Ivy teams. Harvard and Princeton did not renew series ending this year. Future schedules with Penn and Yale don't include GU, at least not yet. Dartmouth is full through 2022 and includes only one game with GU, a home game. Same too for Cornell. A series with Columbia runs through 2021 but that's the only common opponent going forward.

2. Local teams, particularly Howard and including Towson, are wholly uninterested in games if it means giving up a guarantee game elsewhere. Howard dropped its series with Georgetown in 2011, and Towson hasn't been on the schedule in 15 years.

3. This year's opener at Campbell will not be returned by Campbell, just as St. Francis (PA) did a home-only in 2015.

In short, Georgetown needs to schedule Div. I opponents. if they don't, you might look for PSAC teams on the schedule before too long, which won't be well received in Patriot circles.

Villanova may be the only football opponent that will raise heightened interest by Georgetown students and alumni. And who knows, maybe Villanova can bring back the Grocery Bowl and host the Hoyas in Center City.

I would love to see Georgetown and Villanova schedule "home-aways". Georgetown could host at RFK, Villanova a classy venue in Philly. They are like-minded Catholic schools with an emphasis on education. Georgetown would struggle now to compete, but the rivalry would bring out the best in both schools.

Ramblin' Man
August 25th, 2017, 04:08 PM
Cal Poly
UConn
Army (But I really hope I'm wrong on this one, a Ram win IS possible)
Lehigh
Monmouth
Bucknell

Leopard Loyalist
August 25th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Saturday, August 26
COLGATE @ Cal Poly

Thursday, August 31
HOLY CROSS @ Connecticut

Friday, September 1
FORDHAM @ Army

Saturday, September 2
Villanova @ LEHIGH
LAFAYETTE @ Monmouth
Marist @ BUCKNELL

carney2
August 26th, 2017, 02:00 PM
The word (more like unconfirmed rumor) out of Lafayette is that the starting QB will be a freshman and that there may be as many as two freshmen starting in the O-Line. Those are the two positions where, in my opinion, you never want to see freshmen getting significant playing time.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 26th, 2017, 02:14 PM
The word (more like unconfirmed rumor) out of Lafayette is that the starting QB will be a freshman and that there may be as many as two freshmen starting in the O-Line. Those are the two positions where, in my opinion, you never want to see freshmen getting significant playing time.

Mussina?

carney2
August 26th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Mussina?

It's all hearsay - and worse, but the last say that I heard was Sean O'Malley out of Beverly Hills, California.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 26th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Cal Poly 27 Colgate 24

I'll post the rest next week...

carney2
August 26th, 2017, 09:15 PM
The Raiders done themselves and the Patriot League proud with a 20-14 win over Cal Poly. They controlled the first half, but lost some of their magic in the 3rd quarter. Still, they were up 20-0 in the beginning of the 4th. Cal Poly had some dazzling 4th and long conversions to get the game close, but the Raiders hung on.

cx500d
August 26th, 2017, 10:02 PM
I picked Colgate in the Big Fluffy pickum....However, its hard to assess either team. Colgate had 9 1st downs...9. Poly had 15. They did enough to win, but they need to get the offense going.

ngineer
August 26th, 2017, 11:36 PM
Too late to pick the Colgate game, but my picks for the others:

UConn 41 Holy Cross 24
Army 31 Fordham 21
Lehigh 41 Villanova 38
Monmouth 28 Lafayette 16
Bucknell 17 Marist 9

Go...gate
August 27th, 2017, 09:37 PM
I forgot to pick, but I am very pleased with the result!

TheValleyRaider
August 28th, 2017, 03:18 PM
1-0, that's how you start the season. Not feeling great about the League's chances this first week, but some fun matchups for individual teams.

Thursday, August 31
Holy Cross at Connecticut Connecticut Another season begins in Worcester with Gilmore at the helm and Pujals under center. Past versions of this tale have gotten over .500 once in 4 seasons, though we can make some allowances for injury in 2016. Can't say I see the Crusaders making a run at it this year either, but whatever they do, we're not going to learn much in this one.

Friday, September 1
Fordham at Army Army This is the 3rd meeting in 4 years between the Rams and their neighbors to the north. Army won big first, before the Rams took a thriller in 2015. Much like HC above, I'm not sure that this game will say much about where the Rams actually stand, but a trip up the Hudson is lovely in the fall. Army is better than those previous versions, and should outlast Fordham here.

Saturday, September 2
Villanova at Lehigh Villanova This is a tough one, and while I want to feel good about the Hawks' chances, Nova is a very good team. A worthy game of the week selection, but the Wildcats pull it out at the wire again. Good luck to Lehigh, though, do the League proud.

Lafayette at Monmouth Monmouth Neither of these teams has been particularly good in recent seasons, though there is some difference between Monmouth's mediocrity and Lafayette's...less than mediocrity. This play got Frank Tavani fired, and the other Garrett comes in to replace him. Under Tavani, I found the Leopards thoroughly unpredictable. We'll see what the new guys proves to be, but for now I think it'll take a year or two to get Lafayette back on track. Not enough yet.

Marist at Bucknell Bucknell Hey look, it's this matchup. Again. 13 in a row, so why not one more time (or more even)? The Foxes have 1 victory in this stretch, and I don't know why that would change in Lewisburg this year. What will Bucknell do in the League this year? We'll have to wait a few weeks more to really learn anything.

Go...gate
August 29th, 2017, 02:04 AM
Connecticut 38, Holy Cross 27

Fordham 29, Army 28

Lehigh 45, Villanova 42

Monmouth 20, Lafayette 14

Bucknell 16, Marist 7

carney2
August 29th, 2017, 09:06 AM

Paul Reinhard, the Lafayette beat writer for the Allentown Mourning Crawl, is as much in the dark as the rest of us, but he had to fill space in today's fish wrap, and made a sort-of/maybe prediction that FRESHMAN O'Malley from CA will be the starter and FRESHMAN Nothrup from FL will be the backup. Today is media day and, if things go as they have in the past, we should finally get a two deep.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 29th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Monmouth's going to beat Lafayette by quite a large number. Think 27-3, 30-10, somewhere in that area.

crusader11
August 29th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Lafayette starting true freshman Sean O'Malley against Monmouth:

https://twitter.com/LafColFootball/status/902572811989876736

Who was the last QB in the PL to start a team's season opener as the starting QB? Bucknell's Brandon Wesley?

Fordham
August 29th, 2017, 01:30 PM

Who was the last QB in the PL to start a team's season opener as the starting QB? Bucknell's Brandon Wesley?
I was going to be a wise ass and say 'all of them' but you clearly meant the last true frosh QB. Good question. When did Pujols, Reed or Rudolph start? Those are the last guys I can remember coming in and starting as freshmen but not sure what game they took the reigns

Go Green
August 29th, 2017, 01:41 PM
When did Pujols, Reed or Rudolph start?

Pujals didn't appear until the second half of the HC-Dartmouth game a few games into the season.

Barring injury, he's started since.

Andy
August 29th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Make it tougher, 11. Last "WALKON" freshman opening day starting QB?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 29th, 2017, 01:50 PM
I was going to be a wise ass and say 'all of them' but you clearly meant the last true frosh QB. Good question. When did Pujols, Reed or Rudolph start? Those are the last guys I can remember coming in and starting as freshmen but not sure what game they took the reigns

Shafnisky got the start, and win, against Colgate in 2013 as a frosh.

Ryan Vena and Phil Stambaugh, two of best the ever, started as freshman.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 29th, 2017, 01:53 PM

This really shocked me. I thought Mussina was going to be the guy/future. I wonder how entrenched O'Malley is. The 'Pards have really good WR's and top shelf TE but they're extremely weak at RB. OL should be better.

RichH2
August 29th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Kinda surprised but Garrett clearly wanted one of his recruits at QB. None of the upperclassmen have shown much. A steep learning curve. OL best be vastly improved this season over last for any chance of success.

crusader11
August 29th, 2017, 02:19 PM
Yup, meant last true FRESHMAN to start the season opener at QB -- oops!

I don't think Drew Reed began the season as the starter, nor did Pujals.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 29th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Yup, meant last true FRESHMAN to start the season opener at QB -- oops!

I don't think Drew Reed began the season as the starter, nor did Pujals.

Vena was named 1st team PL as a Frosh (he was a beast). But not sure if he started game 1. He MIGHT be the last guy or one of the last and that's 21 years ago ('96). My memory is pretty good and I can't think of anyone else. I thought maybe someone from Fordham since they've had good skill guys over the years but there's a blur between Eakin and Skelton.

crusader11
August 29th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Vena was named 1st team PL as a Frosh (he was a beast). But not sure if he started game 1. He MIGHT be the last guy or one of the last and that's 21 years ago ('96). My memory is pretty good and I can't think of anyone else. I thought maybe someone from Fordham since they've had good skill guys over the years but there's a blur between Eakin and Skelton.

Brandon Wesley at Bucknell started the season opener as a true freshman in 2010.

EDIT: Take that back. Burke Batten started that game, but played just the first two series.

carney2
August 29th, 2017, 02:56 PM
Kinda surprised but Garrett clearly wanted one of his recruits at QB. None of the upperclassmen have shown much. A steep learning curve. OL best be vastly improved this season over last for any chance of success.

The backup is also a freshman. And four freshmen in the two deep for O-line. That includes one starter. Chances of this beginning well for Garrett are dwindling. The freshman QBs won't be raw rookies by November, I guess, but the o-linemen will not have been through college level conditioning and weight training until next year.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 29th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Maybe O'Malley is being trotted out there as a glorified tackling dummy until the OL figures out how to block.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 29th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Looks like weather could be a factor this weekend with the remnants of Harvey moving through the Northeast.

Sandlapper Spike
August 29th, 2017, 07:08 PM
Congrats to Colgate. That was a mild surprise.

Thursday, August 31
Holy Cross @ Connecticut

Friday, September 1
Fordham @ Army

Saturday, September 2
Villanova @ Lehigh
Lafayette @ Monmouth
Marist @ Bucknell

caribbeanhen
August 29th, 2017, 07:11 PM
This really shocked me. I thought Mussina was going to be the guy/future. I wonder how entrenched O'Malley is. The 'Pards have really good WR's and top shelf TE but they're extremely weak at RB. OL should be better.

I take it Mussina is the son of the former Major league Pitcher?

Go...gate
August 29th, 2017, 07:52 PM

Ryan Vena and Phil Stambaugh, two of best the ever, started as freshman.

Vena did not start the opener, though. He saw his first action in the fourth game, at Penn.

BucBisonAtLarge
August 29th, 2017, 08:02 PM
Marist comes in for the start of Season #93 for the Christy Matthewson Stadium- A set of upgrades have been completed.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/SjzeWBbfItsfP/

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 29th, 2017, 08:04 PM

That's correct! Both are from Montoursville, PA!

ngineer
August 29th, 2017, 11:04 PM

Ryan Vena anda Phil Stambaugh, two of best the ever, started as freshmn.

Stambaugh came in to start in about the 6th or 7th game of his freshman year (1997) It was a pathetic season, and Higgins switched it up and the rest, they say, is history.

DFW HOYA
August 30th, 2017, 06:00 AM
Marist comes in for the start of Season #93 for the Christy Matthewson Stadium- A set of upgrades have been completed.

Marist also comes in to Season #13 of Georgetown's Multi-Sport Facility construction project on Sept. 16. No upgrades have been completed despite claims of a 2018 debut.

At this point, I don't believe any such claims.

Franks Tanks
August 30th, 2017, 07:45 AM

Mussina and O' Malley are technically walk-on's but both are scholarship quality players. Mussina's old man made over 100 million in his MLB career so he can certainly afford tuition. O'Malley is from Beverly Hills, and is also well off apparently so he was also easily able to pay his own way. O'Malley was a late signee last year who committed after the point that all scholarships were comitted. I assume Garret will throw him a scholarship if he remains the starter through this season. O'Malley and another freshman QB, Cole Northup, are 1and 2 on the depth chart. I'm not sure who is number 3, but I think it may be Mussina. Senior Josh Davis impressed Garrett in the spring, but he does have limited arm talent (he is also a walk on), so the freshman really impressed in camp. Garret has done a fantastic job so far attracting some quality walk on's.

I do expect the OL to be much improved, but it will still be a weak spot this year. Much of the OL issues were poor technique and a scheme that was incongruent to success. Even a few years back when the Pards had a senior laden line with quality players the line as a whole was mediocre. Fein's schemes and Stan's preference for big guys with limited athletic ability never meshed. Garrett will have a scheme that helps these guys succeed, and I believe in our new OL coach, but we can only improve so much in one year.

I like our recievers, but I agree we are a little sparse at RB. I'm not as high on Brown as some other Pard fans, but I do like Dunn. Hopefully one of the guys, most likely Dunn IMO, can emerge as a reliable and at least solid Patriot League level back to take some pressure off the young QB.

Our DL will be very potent. For example guys that started in the past like Labudev and Chuma are 2nd string, but will play plenty. Hopefully the D will at least keep games close and give the O a chance to mesh and pull off a few upsets.

Lehigh'98
August 30th, 2017, 08:17 AM
Stambaugh came in to start in about the 6th or 7th game of his freshman year (1997) It was a pathetic season, and Higgins switched it up and the rest, they say, is history.

Funny story about this as I was somewhat responsible. Seka Edwards was starting and we were playing Penn (1996). I missed the only block of my career (as far as my CTE allows me to remember) and my guy separated Seka's shoulder. That's when Stambaugh came in.

Andy
August 30th, 2017, 08:55 AM
Hah! Now Pard fans know who to blame. It's all your fault! :)

Andy
August 30th, 2017, 09:05 AM

I appreciate your throwing us a bone of positivity with the OL comment, but I think you have it backwards, Owl. There is talent at the RB position (I like D. Brown more than Franks Tanks), but they need some daylight. It's a recurring theme and way past old but we have 2 former/projected OL starters out for the season, one to an undisclosed illness and one to an NCAA mandated suspension. A third returning starter, pencilled in at tackle, coming off shoulder surgery, has been held out of scrimmages and is highly questionable. Thus all the freshmen in the 2-deep. So it goes....

Franks Tanks
August 30th, 2017, 09:39 AM
I appreciate your throwing us a bone of positivity with the OL comment, but I think you have it backwards, Owl. There is talent at the RB position (I like D. Brown more than Franks Tanks), but they need some daylight. It's a recurring theme and way past old but we have 2 former/projected OL starters out for the season, one to an undisclosed illness and one to an NCAA mandated suspension. A third returning starter, pencilled in at tackle, coming off shoulder surgery, has been held out of scrimmages and is highly questionable. Thus all the freshmen in the 2-deep. So it goes....
Agree that Brown and other backs on the Pard roster had no chance last year. Our entire running game philosophy had no chance to succeed in the past with a line that was unable to execute the techniques expected of them, and an OL coach that seemed unable to develop his players for success in the system. At the very least I expect Garret to implement a system, and call plays in a manner that plays to our strengths (whatever they may be). Brown has good vision and burst to the hole, but speed, "shake" and power seems to be about average. I hope he proves me wrong!

Andy
August 30th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Agree that Brown and other backs on the Pard roster had no chance last year. Our entire running game philosophy had no chance to succeed in the past with a line that was unable to execute the techniques expected of them, and an OL coach that seemed unable to develop his players for success in the system. At the very least I expect Garret to implement a system, and call plays in a manner that plays to our strengths (whatever they may be). Brown has good vision and burst to the hole, but speed, "shake" and power seems to be about average. I hope he proves me wrong!

JG will speed it all up, short pass game. Throw it to DeSean!

Inside The Huddle - LC at Monmouth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jb0S3mqTxo&feature=youtu.be

Lehigh Football Nation
August 30th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Lafayette is pointed in the right direction, I think, but it's going to take some time to get everything in line. The schedule doesn't help in that arena - the Leopards need a non-scholarship team on there to get things going IMO. Monmouth isn't a bad football team and defensively they are very tough. Sacred Heart might be a winnable game - I think they might be rebuilding too. This year in particular Lafayette needs more games like that to build off of.

Fordham
August 30th, 2017, 11:26 AM
At Fordham we saw two paths to turning around our fortunes. Clawson broke our horrendous lack of competitiveness but recruiting great freshmen by promising them immediate playing time and giving it to them. They took their lumps in year 1 and a bit in year 2 and the upperclassmen arguably got the short end of the stick. By years 3 and 4 things were humming better than they ever had been imo and we were winning the title and competing in the playoffs.

Moorhead was the Bear Bryant quote coach of "he can take his'n and beat your'n and he can take your'n and beat his'n (hope I attributed that correctly). By game 1 we were a completely different squad than the year before strictly due to the offseason discipline installed and his offensive system. 6-5 in year one with 3 losses by less than 9 points total was amazing from an 0-11 squad the year before.

So, what kind of turn around guy is Garrett? With a true freshman starting at QB it looks like he may be a balls out for year 3 guy. True, Pard fans?

carney2
August 30th, 2017, 02:54 PM

Garrett is quoted as having been very impressed and pleased with all of the freshmen QBs (there are 4).

carney2
August 30th, 2017, 03:00 PM
Seven freshmen on the Lafayette two-deep for Saturday. All seven are on offense, which was left as a total disaster by the previous coaching staff. I guess Garrett is doing what has to be done, but it could get ugly before it gets pretty. How much of a bump do you give for new attitude and new coach? Maybe the first half?

Lafalumni29
August 30th, 2017, 03:23 PM
At Fordham we saw two paths to turning around our fortunes. Clawson broke our horrendous lack of competitiveness but recruiting great freshmen by promising them immediate playing time and giving it to them. They took their lumps in year 1 and a bit in year 2 and the upperclassmen arguably got the short end of the stick. By years 3 and 4 things were humming better than they ever had been imo and we were winning the title and competing in the playoffs.

Moorhead was the Bear Bryant quote coach of "he can take his'n and beat your'n and he can take your'n and beat his'n (hope I attributed that correctly). By game 1 we were a completely different squad than the year before strictly due to the offseason discipline installed and his offensive system. 6-5 in year one with 3 losses by less than 9 points total was amazing from an 0-11 squad the year before.

So, what kind of turn around guy is Garrett? With a true freshman starting at QB it looks like he may be a balls out for year 3 guy. True, Pard fans?

Fordham, very thoughtful response compared to the old "Lafayette's going to get walloped by five or six touchdowns response" that we normally get.

You're probably right on year 3. Garrett has proven he candesign and call a great offense. And Thompson is proven at calling the D.

Lafayette has never had a talent problem. To read some of these posts saying we are in over our heads, slow, no talent blah blah blah, is completely disingenuous. Our issues were keeping kids on the Hill, developing the talent, and keeping the head coach's hands off of the offense. The last head coach had a long slow decline and brought the program down with him. Players watched him not be involved in the game plan, show up to practice late along with a host of other issues. Players didn't care and gave up on the program. Garrett has turned them into a completely different team. That's not my opinion. That came from the players.

Going forward I believe our only issue right now is the OL. Sure a young quarterback is not optimal to win a championship but I don't think our expectations are there right now. The word is the freshman QB is a lot more physically ahead then you would think and light years ahead of the rest of the pack in terms of making his reads, technique, etc. We have 8 QBs on the roster. Four of them are upperclassman. One of them is one of the most physically impressive QBs I've ever seen and was his State's player of the year. The fact that O'Malley beat them all out as a frosh says to me he's probably pretty good.

Our RB situation is jussssst fine. I'm more of a Dunn fan but trust Garrett's judgement in sticking with Brown. After them is Amil and Meriwether.

My only prediction is If the offensive can manage to stay on the field, our Defense will be ridiculous!!! Ridiculous!

I'm not predicting a win on Saturday because I simply have not seen this new team practice. I will predict that by Saturday afternoon there will be some eyebrows raised in this forum.

Andy
August 30th, 2017, 03:50 PM

Ditto 29 (great post!) with maybe a twist or two. Hard to say on JG's plan. AS 29 said, there is talent (WR, DL, DB, LB) so let's not waste it. In any event, the QB move isn't the way to judge the situation, IMO, cause frankly the cupboard was extremely bare. Could well be that Garrett brought in more quality QBs in one year than Fein did in 7. Fein's had a penchant for "not grasping the offense." That said, Reed could've been consistently good with a quality OL. Believe we signed him late in the cycle after receiving a tip from a Fein connection, got lucky there. Fein's heir apparent, a soph, is now at least 3rd string, not good. To be fair to Fein, the freshman backup to the freshman starter is a Fein recruit. A Clawson-like trajectory would be nice, but honestly we need at least one win out of these first 2 to build some confidence (and affect recruiting).

The big question is again the OL, not due to coaching, but to lack of experienced bodies. We were set to bring back 3 starters, count Kern and it would've been four. We're now down to 1 (maybe 1 and a half). Monmouth returns 5 starting OL; stuff that Pard fans and QBs can only dream of.

Andy
August 30th, 2017, 04:13 PM
To watch Pujals tomorrow night we need something called SportsNetNY, is that correct? Any other options?

EDIT: Channel 320 Spectrum/TimeWarner. Excellent! Go Saders!

RichH2
August 30th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Didnt see another option. That must be a Spectrum channel?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 30th, 2017, 05:05 PM
To watch Pujals tomorrow night we need something called SportsNetNY, is that correct? Any other options?

It is also on ESPN3, so if you are a subscriber to ESPN you can log on here:

http://www.espn.com/watch/

Also if you have that app on a Roku box it will show up there.

TheValleyRaider
August 30th, 2017, 05:25 PM

SNY is the Mets' local sports channel. Should be available through all cable providers, though obviously in the NY area: https://www.sny.tv/info/new-york-channel

Also on some PA carriers: https://www.sny.tv/info/pennsylvania-channel

Andy
August 30th, 2017, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys! I'm good to go thru Spectrum. Rich, our TWC account recently became Spectrum no choice in the matter but So glad to get away from TWC. Thanks LFN for ESPN3 info, I had not seen that on either teams website. PL football for the next 3 nights. Life is good!

RichH2
August 30th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Thanks guys! I'm good to go thru Spectrum. Rich, our TWC account recently became Spectrum no choice in the matter but So glad to get away from TWC. Thanks LFN for ESPN3 info, I had not seen that on either teams website. PL football for the next 3 nights. Life is good!
Guess 3 for me. Good luck to all of us this week

The Pud
August 30th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Colgate is the team to beat in this league.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 30th, 2017, 11:49 PM
UConn's offense looks absolutely dreadful. And this is after averaging 14 pts a game last year xlolx. Edsall and Co. going to go Chip Kelly fast in order to generate something. Outside of RB they have very little in terms of proven skill guys. They benched the only QB with experience (20 games worth of starts). They'll likely be a complete disaster. If not Edsall truly is the East Hartford magician. Long live the AAC but the Huskies suck...

There's a hint of Furman-UCF in this one.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 31st, 2017, 06:02 PM
UConn
Army
Lehigh
Monmouth
Bucknell

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2017, 06:20 PM
UConn
Army
Lehigh
Monmouth
Bucknell

I'll have what he's having.

KnightoftheRedFlash
August 31st, 2017, 07:47 PM
To everyone picking Fordham; Moorhead is gone and it isn't 2015 anymore.

crusader11
August 31st, 2017, 07:52 PM
Well this is fun!

HC driving inside the UConn 10...

Sader87
August 31st, 2017, 11:43 PM
HC loses.....again

carney2
September 2nd, 2017, 09:56 AM
VERY disappointed in Fordham's "performance."

RichH2
September 2nd, 2017, 10:54 AM
VERY disappointed in Fordham's "performance."

Unless compared to Texas Chainsaw Massacre :)

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2017, 03:40 PM
Lafayette 0
Monmouth 7
2nd half about to start

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2017, 04:18 PM
Lafayette 6
Monmouth 21
End 3rd

Both offenses arrived, more or less

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2017, 05:04 PM
Lafayette 12
Monmouth 31
Final

carney2
September 2nd, 2017, 05:24 PM
Lafayette went as many expected. Freshman QB did not disappoint, but did not light it up either. O-line and running game appear to be the same sorry mess that we've been looking at for a long time.

Sorry, BrownTurds, but there are no moral victories. You were a Top 20 team. You either win or you don't.

RichH2
September 2nd, 2017, 05:32 PM
Lafayette went as many expected. Freshman QB did not disappoint, but did not light it up either. O-line and running game appear to be the same sorry mess that we've been looking at for a long time.

Sorry, BrownTurds, but there are no moral victories. You were a Top 20 team. You either win or you don't.
Agree 100%.

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2017, 05:55 PM
Marist 0
Bucknell 28
End 1st

Two defensive scores for the Bison. Tacked on a passing TD as the clock expired.

ngineer
September 2nd, 2017, 06:24 PM
Agree 100%.

Not a moral victory, but a three point loss to the #9/10 team in the country says our #17 ranking is pretty much on point right now.

RichH2
September 2nd, 2017, 06:30 PM
Not a moral victory, but a three point loss to the #9/10 team in the country says our #17 ranking is pretty much on point right now.
Oh we are a Top 20 team. Does not ease the frustration today. A game that we lost due to our.own mistakes .

RichH2
September 2nd, 2017, 06:32 PM
Got to watch a good bit of Pards. Solid if not spectacular D. Frosh QB looks very good. Pards still have no OL and cant run. -1 total ground yards today.

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2017, 06:36 PM
Marist 6
Bucknell 35
Halftime

Foxes scored in the last 30 seconds, otherwise this seems fair

BucBisonAtLarge
September 2nd, 2017, 06:45 PM
Marist 6
Bucknell 35
Halftime

Foxes scored in the last 30 seconds, otherwise this seems fair
Less here than meets the eye... Let's hope that
Holy Cross is half as charitable as Marist had been this half.

carney2
September 3rd, 2017, 08:19 AM
Here's what we THINK we learned from Week 1:

LEHIGH’s D is still not ready for prime time.
FORDHAM has lost all the Moorhead magic.
COLGATE’s D may make them a contender.
HOLY CROSS with Pujals is always a threat.
BUCKNELL really likes its cupcakes.
LAFAYETTE has no O-line – again.

van
September 3rd, 2017, 02:02 PM
Here's what we THINK we learned from Week 1:

LEHIGH’s D is still not ready for prime time.
FORDHAM has lost all the Moorhead magic.
COLGATE’s D may make them a contender.
HOLY CROSS with Pujals is always a threat.
BUCKNELL really likes its cupcakes.
LAFAYETTE has no O-line – again.

can't argue with any of these ideas, my question is who makes the biggest improvement in week 2?

ngineer
September 3rd, 2017, 07:15 PM
can't argue with any of these ideas, my question is who makes the biggest improvement in week 2?

That is always the key. Opening games can be misleading in many different directions. As for Lehigh, while our D deserved a "D", there were actually decent adjustments and improvement in the second half which allowed us to get close to pulling out a win. Granted, they could not make the stop in the last three minutes to get the ball back, but some offensive mistakes in the first half were significant. Monmouth will also provide a challenge with a decent running game, so this second week should give a good measuring stick on how good our D can get, or not. If we improve we can run the table. If not, we will be in for a lot of white knuckle high-scoring affairs.