PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week #1 Pick 'em

Pages : [1] 2

The Cats
August 20th, 2017, 04:52 PM
Since the Mocs are playing in the FCS kickoff game, we'll cover two Saturday's in this first week's picks..... no rules, just make your picks and power rankings. No prizes.... just fun.

game winner in bold........

Saturday, Aug 26
Jacksonville State vs. Chattanooga -in Montgomery, AL 6 pm ESPN

Thursday, Aug 31
Jacksonville at Mercer -in Macon GA 7 pm ESPN3
Kennesaw State at Samford in Birmingham, AL ESPN3

Saturday, Sep 2
VMI at Air Force -in Colorado Springs, CO 12 pm (TBA)
Newberry at The Citadel -Charleston, SC 6 pm ESPN3
Furman at Wofford -in Spartanburg, SC 7 pm ESPN3
Limestone at ETSU -in Johnson City, TN 7 pm ESPN3
Western Carolina at Hawaii -in Honolulu, HI 12 midnight (ETS) TBS

Week 1 Power Rankings
1. Wofford
2. Samford
3. The Citadel
4. Chattanooga
5. Mercer
6. WCU
7. Furman
8. ETSU
9. VMI

citdog
August 20th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Cocks
Bears
Kennesaw
Chair Force
The Citadel
Wofford
Bucs
Rainbows (no homo)

bonarae
August 20th, 2017, 04:59 PM
Jacksonville State
Mercer
Samford
Air Force
The Citadel
Wofford
ETSU
Hawaii

melloware13
August 20th, 2017, 09:36 PM
Jacksonville State
Mercer
Kennesaw State
Air Force
The Citadel
Wofford
ETSU
Hawaii

Scrappy94
August 20th, 2017, 10:26 PM
Chattanooga
Mercer
Samford
Air Force
The Citadel
Wofford
ETSU
Hawaii

Power Rankings:
1. Wofford
2. Chattanooga
3. The Citadel
4. Samford
5. Mercer
6. Furman
7. WCU
8. ETSU
9. VMI

Milktruck74
August 21st, 2017, 07:21 AM
Mocs by 3

Bears by 21
Owls by 10

Falcons by 28
Bellhops by 17
Little dogs by 14
Bucs by 28
Rainbows by just 7

Catamount87
August 21st, 2017, 07:29 AM
Saturday, Aug 26
Jacksonville State vs. UTC- This is becoming one hell of a rivalry game. JSU pulls away in the 4th.

Thursday, Aug 31
Jacksonville at Mercer - The Bears are never threatened.
Kennesaw State at Samford - This has trap game written all over it. An improved Samford defense is the difference.

Saturday, Sep 2
VMI at Air Force - At no point is Air Force threatened by the cadets except maybe at coin toss.
Newberry at The Citadel - Pound it out and grinding them down is the order in Charleston
Furman at Wofford - Always a great game but too many questions remain for the Dins.
Limestone at ETSU - Look for the Bucs to be making a statement to the rest of the SoCon.
Western Carolina at Hawaii - Scoring lots and lots of scoring. But jet lag and a deeper FBS roster do the Cats in.

Week 1 Power Rankings
1. Wofford
2. Samford
3. The Citadel
4. UTC
5. Mercer
6. WCU
7. Furman
8. ETSU
9. VMI

The Pud
August 21st, 2017, 07:54 AM
Is Samford expected to be good again this year?

SU DOG
August 21st, 2017, 08:42 AM
Is Samford expected to be good again this year?

I believe this year's Samford Team is considerably better than last season's. I know the defense is really good, and that we will have at least some semblance of a running game for a change. Replacing WR Karel Hamilton will not be possible, but the passing game with Hodges and some gifted receivers will still be very potent. The O-line is much better. One drop-off is in PK, but that is the only negative I have seen in watching fall camp.

SU DOG
August 21st, 2017, 09:05 AM
JSU - This would be a nice win for the SoCon. Fewer question marks for the Gamecocks, however IMO.
SAMFORD - No disrespect for an upcoming program, but I don't think the Owls have the athletes that Samford has - YET.
Air Force - Too much for an improving VMI.
The Citadel - Another good year for these guys,
Wofford - Terriers may be even better than current rankings.
ETSU - This program has some really good players now.
Hawaii - I don't think we will know much about the Cats even after this game.

POWER RANKING - Top to bottom the SoCon will be one TOUGH conference this year.
1. Wofford
2. - 9. ?????

OL FU
August 21st, 2017, 09:07 AM
JSU
Mercy
Sammy
Air Force
The ****adel
Woffy
ETSU
Hawaii

Cat-in-GA
August 21st, 2017, 09:28 AM
Jacksonville State - It is going to take UTC a game or two before they hit their stride this season
Mercer - Mercer's running game will put up over 400yds on Jacksonville and give the rest of the Socon something to worry about
Samford - Samford is too much for KSU
Air Force - AF wins by at least 3 touchdowns.
The Citadel - This won't be much of a test
Wofford - Wofford shows that they are the early season conference leader
ETSU - I don't expect ETSU to be troubled
WCU - Hawaii thinks that WCU will be a cakewalk. These Cats may not win, but they won't be rolling over. It's a markedly different team from last year.

Mocdaddy
August 21st, 2017, 10:20 AM
UTC
Mercer
Samford
Air Force
The Citadel
Wofford
ETSU
Hawaii

FUBeAR
August 21st, 2017, 02:17 PM
I'm going to wait until Friday to do this. I'm figuring Chatt may pick up 8-10 more transfers between now and then and I want to be able to factor those into my pick & power ratings.

youcanbankit
August 21st, 2017, 04:42 PM
Jacksonville State vs. Chattanooga
Jacksonville at Mercer
Kennesaw State at Samford
VMI at Air Force
Newberry at The Citadel
Furman at Wofford
Limestone at ETSU
Western Carolina at Hawaii

Winner in red!xlolx

GreenGlasses
August 21st, 2017, 09:01 PM
Jacksonville State in a squeaker over UTC
Mercer names the score over PFL Jacksonville
Samford over KSU KSU puts up a fight for a half but Smford has to much for them
Air Force names the score over VMI
The Cit destroys Newberry
Wofford over an improved Furman, Furman will make some noise this year but probably fall short in most games this year
ETSU beats Limestone in what should be easy
Hawaii over WCU but it won't be easy for the Rainbow's

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 21st, 2017, 09:59 PM
In a few short days, football season begins. This is my preseason rankings.

1) Wofford - Terriers are the alpha dogs until someone proves otherwise
2) The Citadel - Bulldogs not that far back
3) Chattanooga - Mocs begin new era with new coach
4) Samford - Bulldogs kick it off with a new look
5) Mercer - Bears look to rebuild
6) Furman - Paladins also sports a new coach
7) ETSU - Bucs kick off season in new stadium
8) Western Carolina - Catamounts start season in Hawaii
9) VMI - Keydets also looks to rebuild

Predictions
Chattanooga vs. Jacksonville State (Game of the Week) - Mocs begin season with some growing pains
Jacksonville @ Mercer - Bears maul their former conference rivals
Kennesaw State @ Samford - Bulldogs take care of business against the Owls
VMI @ Air Force - Keydets find out nothing can stop the US Air Force the hard way
Newberry @ The Citadel (Beatdown of the Week) - Bulldogs massacre the Wolves
Furman @ Wofford - Terriers maul the Paladins
Limestone @ ETSU - Bucs repel the Saints
Western Carolina @ Hawai'i - Catamounts' start will not be all sunshine and rainbows

ElCid
August 21st, 2017, 10:39 PM
Week 0
Jacksonville State vs. Chattanooga - Kickoff Classic on national TV. New coach for the Mocs...but some new faces for the Cocks. Should be a brawl. Mocs are due after losing four close ones in a row - 31-28

Week 1
Jacksonville at Mercer - The Bears should have no problem - 38-10
Kennesaw State at Samford - Will the Dogs find a running game this year? They are used to seeing the running game like K State has, but they haven't always been successful in stopping it. But the 'Bama Dogs can score pretty fast - 37-24
VMI at Air Force - The Keydet O took a big hit this year. Their D is still pretty formidable, but not enough against the Falcons - 37-10
Newberry at The Citadel - Dogs have some holes to fill. Execution could be ugly, but they get it done all the same - 42-14
Furman at Wofford - (Game of the Week - Week 1) - I really hate these early conference games. Both teams could get a huge boost with a victory here. Wofford has not lost at home to Furman since '06. With a new, albeit familiar coach, Furman still has a shot to pull an early upset. With Wofford's playoff success and lots of starters back, they should pull it off - 27-20
Limestone at ETSU - Limestone is just bad and ETSU has something to prove this year...plus they want to christen their new stadium in style - 41-3
Western Carolina at Hawaii - The Cats will have a fun trip to paradise. Will their D show up? Will Adams and Newsome be in the zone? If they are, WCU could give them fits, but the time zone will take its toll most likely - 41-27

Preseason Power Rankings
1. Wofford
2. Samford
3. The Citadel
4. Chattanooga
5. Mercer
6. Furman
7. WCU
8. VMI
9. ETSU

kdinva
August 22nd, 2017, 08:04 PM
Best LB Corps in SoCon:

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/cratsenberg-francis-leading-defensive-attack-at-vmi/article_94fe1693-43b1-5397-b90e-f46841942bfe.html

Chattanooga 20 vs. Jacksonville State 34
Jacksonville 14 @ Mercer 35
Kennesaw State 23 @ Samford 30
VMI 20 @ Air Force 35
Newberry 18 @ The Citadel37
Furman 24 @ Wofford - 30
Limestone 13 @ ETSU 35
Western Carolina 21 @ Hawai'i 30

NorthChuckSouth
August 22nd, 2017, 08:38 PM
Saturday, Aug 26

Thursday, Aug 31
Jacksonville at Mercer

Saturday, Sep 2
VMI at Air Force
Newberry at The Citadel xcoffeex
Furman at Wofford - my boy Staggs (DC) got some experience from the playoffs.. Defense steps up in an opening game shocker
Limestone at ETSU

PaladinFan
August 22nd, 2017, 09:57 PM
I've heard nothing but glowing reports about Chad Staggs.

Furman is going to be a work in progress, but I expect a high energy group out there on defense.

DoWe
August 23rd, 2017, 12:22 AM
I am going to step way out on a limb here and pick the following winners:

Jacksonville State
Mercer
Samford
Air Force
The Citadel
Wofford
ETSU
Hawaii

Smitty
August 23rd, 2017, 10:26 AM
Saturday, Aug 26
Jacksonville State vs. Chattanooga -in Montgomery, AL 6 pm ESPN

Thursday, Aug 31
Jacksonville at Mercer -in Macon GA 7 pm ESPN3
Kennesaw State at Samford in Birmingham, AL ESPN3

Saturday, Sep 2
VMI at Air Force -in Colorado Springs, CO 12 pm (TBA)
Newberry at The Citadel -Charleston, SC 6 pm ESPN3
Furman at Wofford -in Spartanburg, SC 7 pm ESPN3
Limestone at ETSU -in Johnson City, TN 7 pm ESPN3
Western Carolina at Hawaii -in Honolulu, HI 12 midnight (ETS) TBS

OpTimeGuy
August 23rd, 2017, 05:10 PM
Saturday, Aug 26

Thursday, Aug 31
Jacksonville at Mercer

Saturday, Sep 2
VMI at Air Force
Newberry at The Citadel
Furman at Wofford
Limestone at ETSU

Week 1 Power Rankings
1. Wofford
2. Samford
3. The Citadel
4. Mercer
5. Chattanooga
6. Furman
7. ETSU
8. WCU
9. VMI

FUBeAR
August 23rd, 2017, 05:20 PM
I'm going to wait until Friday to do this. I'm figuring Chatt may pick up 8-10 more transfers between now and then and I want to be able to factor those into my pick & power ratings.

(Yes...I know I'm 'quoting' myself)...

Just checked Chatt's roster - glad I waited. They are actually down 2 Transfers from when I checked last week. These were guys who transferred there previously from smaller schools and are now off the roster....I think they have transfers knocking transfers off roster spots up there in Scenic City.

...and we still don't know if Dale Warren is going to play...

Today's update on the topic from the Chatt TFP...

Warren update
Dale Warren, a FCS STATS preseason third-team All-America linebacker, is facing a NCAA-mandated suspension that the school is appealing. Arth said the team is going through practice this week with hopes Warren will be able to play.
"We don't have all the information regarding Dale, so yes, we're hoping he's able to go, able to play," Arth said. "If that's the case, that'll be huge for us."
Warren had 91 tackles in 2016, including 19 for loss, which led the Southern Conference. Those included six sacks, which ranked eighth in the league.

ElCid
August 23rd, 2017, 05:23 PM
Saturday, Aug 26

Thursday, Aug 31
Jacksonville at Mercer

Saturday, Sep 2
VMI at Air Force
Newberry at The Citadel
Furman at Wofford
Limestone at ETSU

Week 1 Power Rankings
1. Wofford
2. Samford
3. The Citadel
4. Mercer
5. Chattanooga
6. Furman
7. ETSU
8. WCU
9. VMI

Hi! And welcome. Nice to see some ETSU fans coming on board.

OpTimeGuy
August 24th, 2017, 05:24 AM
Hi! And welcome. Nice to see some ETSU fans coming on board.

Thanks for the welcome....Glad to be here.....glad to have football back and glad to actually have a home for our team....

sudog03
August 24th, 2017, 06:24 AM
I'll take:

JSU
Mercer
Samford
Air Force
Citadel
Wofford
Hawaii

Power Rankings:
1. Wofford
2. Samford
3. Citadel
4. UTC
5. Mercer
6. Furman
7. WCU
8. ETSU
9. VMI

Milktruck74
August 24th, 2017, 06:40 AM
(Yes...I know I'm 'quoting' myself)...

Just checked Chatt's roster - glad I waited. They are actually down 2 Transfers from when I checked last week. These were guys who transferred there previously from smaller schools and are now off the roster....I think they have transfers knocking transfers off roster spots up there in Scenic City.

...and we still don't know if Dale Warren is going to play...

Today's update on the topic from the Chatt TFP...

Warren update
Dale Warren, a FCS STATS preseason third-team All-America linebacker, is facing a NCAA-mandated suspension that the school is appealing. Arth said the team is going through practice this week with hopes Warren will be able to play.
"We don't have all the information regarding Dale, so yes, we're hoping he's able to go, able to play," Arth said. "If that's the case, that'll be huge for us."
Warren had 91 tackles in 2016, including 19 for loss, which led the Southern Conference. Those included six sacks, which ranked eighth in the league.

Word from someone in the Athletic dept, (not very high up so probably just their speculation. Don't put any real faith in this "source"....they may have overheard something, but aren't actually privy to the real convo...is that enough disclaimer?) He won't play Saturday. They are hoping for a reduction from 5.5 to 3.

walliver
August 24th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Jacksonville State vs Chattanooga in the capital of the confederacy. The mocassins have a new coach who may overcome his predecessor's tendency to struggle in big games, but chicks pull out a 10 point win.
Jacksonville not the State at Mercer. Bryant would give the cubbies a better game. The Flippers lose by beaucoups of points.
Kennesaw State at Samford. The owls should be improved, but the Baptist bullpups still remember the ETSU debacle, and win by 10.
VMI at Air Force. The Post-Cobb keydets will struggle against the altitude and a much stronger team and lose to the big birds by 28
Newberry at the Citadel - The Indians/Wolfpack should never be taken lightly and may keep it close for a half, but the port city bullpups pull away in the second half to win by 24.
Furman at Wofford - The horsies have a new coach and offense so there will be a surprise factor in play, but there is a strong home-field advantage in this series and the Terriers pull out a 9 point win.
Limestone at ETSU - The Saints go marching in and crawl out as big losers to the mountain pirates by 35
Western Carolina at Hawai'i - The Cants will fly over 7 time zones to find the rainbows. If they can overcome the jet lag, thay pull the upset and win by 3.

Power rankings:
1) Wofford - last man standing last year
2) The Citadel - 2 time defending champs
3) Chattanooga - some questions with new coach, but we will see
4) Mercer - This is there first year where all players entered in the SoCon era.
5) Samford - last years late season breakdown is worrisome
... the top 5 will likely flip frequently during the season
6) Furman - A team with talent that couldn't get its act together under previous coach. Will likely become more dangerous as the season progresses.
7) WCU - a team that has long struggled to break through despite decent talent, this may be the year, but they need to prove themselves as the year progresses
8) ETSU - will improve on last year's record.
9) VMI - losing Cobb is a big deal

Preseason power ranking are fairly useless.

ElCid
August 24th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the welcome....Glad to be here.....glad to have football back and glad to actually have a home for our team....

I am going to make it up to Johnson City for our game. Got to see the new stadium. It is right at 100 miles for me.

PaladinFan
August 24th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Furman at Wofford - The horsies have a new coach and offense so there will be a surprise factor in play, but there is a strong home-field advantage in this series and the Terriers pull out a 9 point win.

It will be an interesting matchup. Wofford will find out what Furman's offense is going to look like along with everyone else.

Both teams have some unique advantages. Wofford gets the home field (which has been big in this series) and has the far more experienced and battle-tested team. Furman is much younger and will be breaking in a new system, but have a bit of the surprise factor. Furman also gets ample time to prepare to defend the option, which, historically, has made a big difference.

I think Furman does create some potential matchup problems for Wofford. Wofford has a stellar defense, but have been susceptible against the pass in recent years. Furman has a couple home run threats at WR and RB that could cause problems for the Terrier defensive backfield. Of note, Wofford has also struggled to contain Paladin QB PJ Blazejowski in two prior meetings.

The matchup I am most interested to see will be right in the middle of the field. Wofford's talented C Roo Daniels against Furman's Jay Reid. Get to see two of the SoCon's best line up across from one another right out of the gate.

citdog
August 24th, 2017, 11:01 AM
I am going to make it up to Johnson City for our game. Got to see the new stadium. It is right at 100 miles for me.

Our last trip up there sucked big time.

kdinva
August 24th, 2017, 11:39 AM

that's cuz the smell of pee pee from the green cement turf was a distraction.....

PaladinNation
August 24th, 2017, 11:47 AM
It will be an interesting matchup. Wofford will find out what Furman's offense is going to look like along with everyone else.

Both teams have some unique advantages. Wofford gets the home field (which has been big in this series) and has the far more experienced and battle-tested team. Furman is much younger and will be breaking in a new system, but have a bit of the surprise factor. Furman also gets ample time to prepare to defend the option, which, historically, has made a big difference.

I think Furman does create some potential matchup problems for Wofford. Wofford has a stellar defense, but have been susceptible against the pass in recent years. Furman has a couple home run threats at WR and RB that could cause problems for the Terrier defensive backfield. Of note, Wofford has also struggled to contain Paladin QB PJ Blazejowski in two prior meetings.

The matchup I am most interested to see will be right in the middle of the field. Wofford's talented C Roo Daniels against Furman's Jay Reid. Get to see two of the SoCon's best line up across from one another right out of the gate.

Speaking of Jay Reid… I'm getting excited about STAGGS darkside defense:
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/900691917410889728/video/1

OpTimeGuy
August 24th, 2017, 11:57 AM

I was at that game. We "won" the game 16-13 but lost that war. It was my senior year at ETSU. It took over 10 years but we are finally back. Don't look for a repeat of that score with you guys this year....maybe in a year or two.

PaladinFan
August 24th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Speaking of Jay Reid… I'm getting excited about STAGGS darkside defense:
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/900691917410889728/video/1

I had not seen that yet. That's great.

I was worried about the defense coming into the preseason, but I think they may surprise us. Solid starting 11, but some questions on depth.

FUBeAR
August 24th, 2017, 01:04 PM
4) Mercer - This is there first year where all players entered in the SoCon era.

...except for Alex Lakes. He was there, but redshirted in 2013 (the PFL year).

Also...I recently noticed that Seth Hattaway is no longer on the Mercer Roster...which made me VERY sad xbawlingx. "Why you so sad about that, FUBeAR? We've never heard of this Hattaway kid.," some might say.

Well, Seth was an original "Day1" who started with the program in 2012. He played in 2013 and then was on his church mission for 2014 & 2015. The NCAA makes an allowance for Church Missions and 'stops the clock' for those athletes. So Seth was eligible to play through this season...maybe even thru 2018. He played in 2016, contributing strongly on Special Teams, as he had in 2013, and I was looking forward to seeing just one of those Original Bears get another go-round this year, but I guess he decided to retire after Spring Practice...or sometime over the Summer.

So, the Day1's are ALL gone and Alex Lakes is the only PFL holdover remaining. The rest of 'em are pure SoCon all the way through.

FUBeAR
August 24th, 2017, 01:12 PM

Think I saw that Roo Daniels and a few other key AnkleBiters had injured their hind paws and were questionable/day-to-day. Of course, they did pretty well with their 9th or 12th or whatever string QB finishing up the season last year...so I imagine they'll have another 'Carbon Copy' to plug in for any Pups that can't go next Saturday.

PaladinFan
August 24th, 2017, 01:32 PM
Think I saw that Roo Daniels and a few other key AnkleBiters had injured their hind paws and were questionable/day-to-day. Of course, they did pretty well with their 9th or 12th or whatever string QB finishing up the season last year...so I imagine they'll have another 'Carbon Copy' to plug in for any Pups that can't go next Saturday.

My lurking suggested the Terriers are a little banged up. Daniels is a good player, but he may need two good wheels to deal with Reid.

walliver
August 24th, 2017, 02:34 PM
My lurking suggested the Terriers are a little banged up. Daniels is a good player, but he may need two good wheels to deal with Reid.
A lot of starters were held out of the last scrimmage, but are expected to be back at full strength by opening day.
At least we have had no career-ending injuries in pre-season practice this year.

PaladinFan
August 24th, 2017, 03:38 PM
A lot of starters were held out of the last scrimmage, but are expected to be back at full strength by opening day.
At least we have had no career-ending injuries in pre-season practice this year.

One poster on your forum indicated that Daniels was in a knee immobilizer during the scrimmage last Saturday. If true, I would think that would at least make him speculative for the opening game.

The Cats
August 25th, 2017, 10:48 AM
bump

FUBeAR
August 25th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Well...I guess if I'm gonna pick, I gotta pick today....just so unsure about things...So many questions...

* Will Chatt's All-Everything LB, Dale Warren, play on Sat? He's listed as a Starter in the Game Notes, but 'word' is he's out/suspended.
* Why, of the 68 MUCH-Heralded Transfers that joined Chatt's roster this off-season, are 0 of them Starting and only 1 of them is on the 2 Deep (QB Tiano)...if we don't count the back-up Long Snapper?
* Why is anyone ranking a Team that has NEVER beaten a full-scholarship allotment FCS Team with a winning record...NEVER and lost to the 7th Place SoCon Team last year...Kennesaw? Secret Weapons?
* Who will start at QB for Mercer? Oh, I see...this just in...the NCAA just 'grandfathered' John Russ as a "Founding Father"...as long as he's not a statue, he can keep playing.
* How many AnkleBiters are out with hurt paws and how many will be back by next Sat.?
* What they heck kind of Offense is FU running? They have a "Running Back" and a "Tailback" position? Is "Fullback" no longer politically correct or what?
* Will the beer being sold by CIT, at the site of the former asbestos & lead-coated stands that have been torn down, contain asbestos and lead...or will that cost extra? And who's left to play there after their Player Exodus of the off-season?
* Limestone? Surely, they can't be a Reinhardt wannabe...can they?
* Hawaii plays an actual game BEFORE they play the game that we're picking. What up wit dat?

...but I'll pick anyway...

* Chattanooga vs Jacksonville State - Montgomery, AL - Saturday, August 26, 2017 6:30 PM - Chatt has 22 NEW Transfers join the Team just before kickoff....None of them play, but My (this week only) Mocs win, 28-21...somehow.
* Kennesaw State at Samford - Thursday, August 31, 2017 7:00 PM - Desired Score 100-0...Predicted Score - 56-17 My (this week only) Bulldogs PLUCK UP the Owls big-time!
* Jacksonville U at Mercer- Thursday, August 31, 2017 7:00 PM - My (for now...and maybe for quite a while) Bears #RoarTogether and hold a fish fry in front of another sellout crowd in Maconga and make Kerwin Bell smile, 42-21
* VMI at Air Force - Saturday, September 02, 2017 2:00 PM - AF misses Coach Hendrix, but Flies High anyway, 66-21
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/october-2008-high-altitude-falcon-stadium-prior-to-the-falcons-3327-picture-id577374506

* Furman at Wofford - Saturday, September 02, 2017 6:00 PM - My (forever) Paladins SHOCK SparkleCity, the SoCon, and FCS by kicking the LittleDogs to the curb, 21-10, in the curtain-raiser for The Hendrix Era
* Newberry at The Citadel - Saturday, September 02, 2017 6:00 PM - CIT poisons the Native American Wolfpack 42-10
* Limestone at East Tennessee State - Saturday, September 02, 2017 7:00 PM - Bucs commandeer their new stadium in swashbuckling style and crush Limestone 35-7
* Western Carolina at Hawaii - Saturday, September 02, 2017 11:59 PM - My (this week only) Cats bring their 1st (I think) FBS Scalp back from across the Pacific 35-31 Over the Rainbows (somewhere)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

I am not doing a Power Ranking this week though....wouldn't be prudent.

Catamount87
August 25th, 2017, 12:05 PM
Well the Raindow Warriors do play tomorrow at that northeast 'perennial powerhouse' UMass(2-10 in 2016). So, maybe they'll be really horribly jet lagged two weeks in a row.

ElCid
August 25th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Well, holy crap. UTC's qb is out. That may change my prediction for tomorrow. Not sure how good his transfer replacement is. But apparently new guy has been the lead all camp. Have think about this some more.

JSUSoutherner
August 25th, 2017, 02:45 PM
JSU
Mercer
Samford
AF
Wofford
El Cid
ETSU
Hawaii

longtimemocfan
August 25th, 2017, 06:58 PM
Well, holy crap. UTC's qb is out. That may change my prediction for tomorrow. Not sure how good his transfer replacement is. But apparently new guy has been the lead all camp. Have think about this some more.

Nick Tiano was expected to challenge for the starting job. The drop off will be he's not as mobile as Bennefield.

citdog
August 25th, 2017, 07:01 PM
Nick Tiano was expected to challenge for the starting job. The drop off will be he's not as mobile as Bennefield.

How long until the NCAA takes a look at the Chattanooga football program? Two top flight players on their team suspended multiple games for academic issues. How many more are they hiding?

JSUSoutherner
August 25th, 2017, 07:06 PM
How long until the NCAA takes a look at the Chattanooga football program? Two top flight players on their team suspended multiple games for academic issues. How many more are they hiding?

I thought they got Dale Warren on drugs?

longtimemocfan
August 25th, 2017, 07:13 PM

My question is how much did Huesman know before he left ?

Mocs123
August 26th, 2017, 12:56 AM
Chattanooga
Mercer
Samford
Air Force
The Citadel
Wofford
ETSU
Hawaii

GreenGlasses
August 26th, 2017, 09:27 AM
My question is how much did Huesman know before he left ?

Could have been a factor in his decision to leave.

JSUSoutherner
August 26th, 2017, 09:29 AM
Chattanooga

:)

PaladinFan
August 26th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Could have been a factor in his decision to leave.

The Pete Carroll approach. Get out while the gettins' good.

GreenGlasses
August 26th, 2017, 11:25 AM
The Pete Carroll approach. Get out while the gettins' good.

Also the John Calipari method. Cal left UMass right before they hammered them over Marcus Camby hiring an agent before his senior year. And he skipped town at Memphis right before the NCAA started sniffing around and finally found out that Dereck Rose was academically ineligible .

Milktruck74
August 26th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Also the John Calipari method. Cal left UMass right before they hammered them over Marcus Camby hiring an agent before his senior year. And he skipped town at Memphis right before the NCAA started sniffing around and finally found out that Dereck Rose was academically ineligible .

You guys are reading waaaaaaaaayyyyyy too much into this. UTC doesnt have enough money to cheat. hahaha. But the Warren thing is most likely a failed urine screen (not sure the substance) and Benefield is an academic issue even though he is still on pace to graduate (that is weird, but...). The APR is in great shape. Most of the issues can probably be traced back to an AD that checked out when he didn't get the UT Knoxville gig.... It is mostly administration issues and that is now fixed. The Mocs are on a rebuilding year, but we will probably still make the playoffs.

PaladinFan
August 26th, 2017, 01:26 PM
You guys are reading waaaaaaaaayyyyyy too much into this. UTC doesnt have enough money to cheat. hahaha. But the Warren thing is most likely a failed urine screen (not sure the substance) and Benefield is an academic issue even though he is still on pace to graduate (that is weird, but...). The APR is in great shape. Most of the issues can probably be traced back to an AD that checked out when he didn't get the UT Knoxville gig.... It is mostly administration issues and that is now fixed. The Mocs are on a rebuilding year, but we will probably still make the playoffs.

It will be interesting to watch. UTC emerged in the post-Georgia Southern/App Southern Conference as really the only national contender. The gap they had two or three years ago, though, has quickly closed.

If Mercer can figure out its QB situation, WCU fix its defensive problems, and Furman transition into a new system, this might end up being a 7 way slug fest for playoff spots.

GreenGlasses
August 26th, 2017, 02:46 PM
and Furman transition into a new system, this might end up being a 7 way slug fest for playoff spots.

I really like what I see Hendrix doing at Furman but I think the Furman faithful will have to be patient this year. Next year I see Furman breaking out and in 19 and after I think we see Furman back to what they were in the 80s to mid 90s, when they were a contender for the SoCon each year and have deep playoff runs.

PaladinFan
August 26th, 2017, 04:09 PM
I really like what I see Hendrix doing at Furman but I think the Furman faithful will have to be patient this year. Next year I see Furman breaking out and in 19 and after I think we see Furman back to what they were in the 80s to mid 90s, when they were a contender for the SoCon each year and have deep playoff runs.

I don't disagree with that. Furman is incredibly young. 10 seniors and 49 freshmen, I think. That inexperience will manifest itself at some point. The good news is that the few veteran guys Furman has are good players at key positions.

It is early, but Furman has already beat out some other SoCon schools for a couple key recruits. If they steadily show improvement this year, avoid the dud games that were all too common under Bruce Fowler, and keep getting it done in recruiting and building depth, I'll feel good about the future.

GreenGlasses
August 26th, 2017, 06:31 PM
I don't disagree with that. Furman is incredibly young. 10 seniors and 49 freshmen, I think. That inexperience will manifest itself at some point. The good news is that the few veteran guys Furman has are good players at key positions.

It is early, but Furman has already beat out some other SoCon schools for a couple key recruits. If they steadily show improvement this year, avoid the dud games that were all too common under Bruce Fowler, and keep getting it done in recruiting and building depth, I'll feel good about the future.

I always thought Fowler and his staff were decent recruiters, he just could never develop the player beyond what they were as a HS senior. There seemed to be no growth at all unless it was on the player to grow. This was evident going back to his 2nd and especially his 4th season at Furman.

citdog
August 26th, 2017, 06:32 PM
furman sucks

PaladinFan
August 26th, 2017, 08:12 PM
I always thought Fowler and his staff were decent recruiters, he just could never develop the player beyond what they were as a HS senior. There seemed to be no growth at all unless it was on the player to grow. This was evident going back to his 2nd and especially his 4th season at Furman.

I think that statement is particularly true relative to the offensive and defensive lines. Fowler's staff never could seem to get consistent, sustainable play up front and develop depth. The offense fell off a cliff when Dakota Dozier graduated, and you quickly realized how many holes he covered on the offensive line.

If Fowler had a fatal flaw, he probably stuck with some of his coaches for far too long. You can forgive a coach for leaving a few longtime stalwarts in their chairs after a bad season or two, but when your offense is in the bottom half of the conference (or dead last) for four or five years in a row, it is time to make a change.

One impressive move Hendrix made was putting George Quarles as the associate HC and TE coach (probably the smallest position group). Quarles has the name and long-time relationship with the head coach, but he's not at the point in his career where he is trying to climb the coaching ladder. By resisting the urge to put him in the coordinator's chair, Hendrix keeps a very good football coach, gives him a great deal of responsibility as second in command, but also keeps the path clear for younger coaches to work their way up. Furman can now get back to developing coaches as well as players.

PaladinNation
August 26th, 2017, 09:00 PM

Hendrix, Staggs, Bratton, Quarles and Cronic appear to be raising the bar for recruiting at Furman. If they continue to get commits like Cameron "CUJO" Coleman and Aaron Dykes Furman will be back in SoCon title conversations quickly.

Cameron Coleman 6-3 285 DT from Elizabethton, TN 14 offers (Chatty, Richmond, Samford, AFA, Army, Navy) http://www.hudl.com/profile/6263243/cameron-coleman
Aaron Dykes 6-0 185 TB from Knoxville, TN, 8 offers (Chatty, ETSU, Holy Cross, Army, Navy, UTM, TTU)
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4678235/57cb32ef7bddf73e38c6924c

citdog
August 26th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Hendrix, Staggs, Bratton, Quarles and Cronic appear to be raising the bar for recruiting at Furman. If they continue to get commits like Cameron "CUJO" Coleman and Aaron Dykes Furman will be back in SoCon title conversations quickly.

Cameron Coleman 6-3 285 DT from Elizabethton, TN 14 offers (Chatty, Richmond, Samford, AFA, Army, Navy) http://www.hudl.com/profile/6263243/cameron-coleman
Aaron Dykes 6-0 185 TB from Knoxville, TN, 8 offers (Chatty, ETSU, Holy Cross, Army, Navy, UTM, TTU)
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4678235/57cb32ef7bddf73e38c6924c

So furman now BRAGS about beating out ETSU for recruits?

That makes me laugh.

It's a NEW WORLD ORDER in the SoCon.
Who chose vermin instead of The Citadel?
NOBODY that's WHO!!!

furman sucks yesterday, tomorrow, and FOREVER!

PaladinFan
August 26th, 2017, 09:13 PM

That makes me laugh.

NOBODY that's WHO!!!

Coleman had reported offers to William & Mary, Air Force, Navy, Arm, UTC, Richmond, Elon, EKU, Samford, ETSU, and UTSA.

and, lest I forget, the Citadel.

Watch the film. The dude is throwing around offensive linemen. I hope Furman can hang onto him.

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2017, 10:01 PM
Stanford Jennings

citdog
August 26th, 2017, 10:10 PM
Stanford Jennings

I'd rather have Stump Mitchell and so would you.

citdog
August 26th, 2017, 10:14 PM
Coleman had reported offers to William & Mary, Air Force, Navy, Arm, UTC, Richmond, Elon, EKU, Samford, ETSU, and UTSA.

Watch the film. The dude is throwing around offensive linemen. I hope Furman can hang onto him.

Yet he chose to play at a lesser school. There is no accounting for taste I guess huh you religious fanatic? Are you planning on drinking rat poison and taking up serpents tomorrow like all good baptists do???

gofurman
August 26th, 2017, 10:23 PM

I would rather have a NATIONAL CHAMPIONHSIP TROPHY and so would you. And we have more SoCon titles than ANYONE.

This is too easy.

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2017, 10:30 PM

um... no. You continue to bat .000 this week.

Walter Payton is the only player I would even consider trading for my good friend, Standiford Jenkins.

citdog
August 26th, 2017, 10:38 PM
um... no. You continue to bat .000 this week.

Walter Payton is the only player I would even consider trading for my good friend, Standiford Jenkins.

Who had the better Pro career??

FUBeAR
August 26th, 2017, 11:10 PM
Who had the better Pro career??

DoWe
August 27th, 2017, 01:51 AM
citdog has already been TKOd. Stop the fight before he gets injured.

PaladinNation
August 27th, 2017, 10:22 AM

Leave to CitDog to pick out one school to focus on Coleman's offer list, by the way he lives almost next door to the school.
To PaladinFan's point, Furman has to hang on here and hope GaTech and VaTech don't offer Coleman. Feel the same way about Dykes who's started his senior season with a bang.

PaladinNation
August 27th, 2017, 10:32 AM

That makes me laugh.

NOBODY that's WHO!!!

I've got a more today answer… Cam Burnette. From Citadel's backyard… Summerville.
Burnette is #2 on the depth chart, a great pickup over the Citadel, JMU, and many others.
http://www.hudl.com/profile/2817823/cameron-burnette

citdog
August 27th, 2017, 11:07 AM
I've got a more today answer… Cam Burnette. From Citadel's backyard… Summerville.
Burnette is #2 on the depth chart, a great pickup over the Citadel, JMU, and many others.
http://www.hudl.com/profile/2817823/cameron-burnette

Let's see if y'all can hold onto him. We generally don't recruit Charleston very much. When we have the kids can't cut it academically. Wando has proved to be the exception.

citdog
August 27th, 2017, 11:07 AM
citdog has already been TKOd. Stop the fight before he gets injured.

Notice that none of the verminite scum answered my question.

DoWe
August 27th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Notice that none of the verminite scum answered my question.
Not looking to get into a pissing match with you, but, pro careers....really? I don't remember any titles Chatty brought home during Terrell Owens' time there.

citdog
August 27th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Not looking to get into a pissing match with you, but, pro careers....really? I don't remember any titles Chatty brought home during Terrell Owens' time there.

I asked a simple question. Who had the better NFL career. Stump Mitchell or Stanford Jennings?

PaladinNation
August 27th, 2017, 03:22 PM
I asked a simple question. Who had the better NFL career. Stump Mitchell or Stanford Jennings?

Stump was a helluva player in college and the pros… You have to give Stanford the nod in college but I agree with you about NFL careers.

Concerning Burnette not sure of his ACT score but I'm pretty sure he's a high academic kid. BTW… The DOGS went all out for Cam, Furman happened to win this. Furman, The Citadel, Wofford and Mercer are all going hard after Spartanburg linebacker … Connor Shugart this year.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25949&stc=1

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Let's see if y'all can hold onto him. We generally don't recruit Charleston very much. When we have the kids can't cut it academically. Wando has proved to be the exception.

Cam Burnette was in last year's signing class. He'll be suiting up for Furman this Saturday against Wofford.

Reign of Terrier
August 27th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Unpopular opinion but I don't follow FCS recruiting that much because I don't think it's as clear cut as it is for FBS. That's not to say a team like NDSU gets on-par talent with a team such as, say, Presbyterian (they don't). Rather, there's an abundance of examples of coaches turning around a no-name program into a playoff or national title contender within the first three years. On the top of my head: Charleston Southern, Citadel, Southeast Missouri State (albeit for one year), Sam Houston State was bad before Fritz, Delaware only won 10 games before their national title in 2003. Heck, Wofford won 15 games in 3 years before last.

I hate to deflate the fun of smack talk and I'm not saying that recruiting isn't important...but with FCS it's a sort of ex post facto thing

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 27th, 2017, 04:16 PM
1. Wofford
2. Samford
3. The Citadel
4. Furman
5. UTC
6. Mercer
7. ETSU
8. WCU
9. VMI

Going against the grain a bit with Furple. I like the Clay Hendricks hire. The schedule actually sets up nicely and would be perfect except for Wofford being the first game of the year. I think they'll be 3-2 by the end of September and have enough time to get the hang of the offense. From what I've seen FU isn't full of scrubs or anything, they just need a real direction on offense.

Mercer 31 Jacksonville 17
Samford 42 Kennesaw 24 (option offense versus air raid = lots of offense)
Air Force 49 VMI 13
The Citadel 48 Newberry 7
Wofford 23 Furman 10
ETSU 28 Limestone 10
Hawaii 34 Western 24 (Was not impressed with Hawaii against UMass, Western has a decent chance for a win here)

Milktruck74
August 27th, 2017, 05:59 PM
Unpopular opinion but I don't follow FCS recruiting that much because I don't think it's as clear cut as it is for FBS. That's not to say a team like NDSU gets on-par talent with a team such as, say, Presbyterian (they don't). Rather, there's an abundance of examples of coaches turning around a no-name program into a playoff or national title contender within the first three years. On the top of my head: Charleston Southern, Citadel, Southeast Missouri State (albeit for one year), Sam Houston State was bad before Fritz, Delaware only won 10 games before their national title in 2003. Heck, Wofford won 15 games in 3 years before last.

I hate to deflate the fun of smack talk and I'm not saying that recruiting isn't important...but with FCS it's a sort of ex post facto thing

I think you are saying that it is more important in FCS to grab a player that fits your system for the future and is coachable/moldable and build them into a star, than it is to actually recruit a star.....if so, I think you are right. Sometimes a kid with no stars is more impactful to anFCS school than a 3 star kid. How many stars did Breitenstein have in HS?

citdog
August 27th, 2017, 06:14 PM
I think you are saying that it is more important in FCS to grab a player that fits your system for the future and is coachable/moldable and build them into a star, than it is to actually recruit a star.....if so, I think you are right. Sometimes a kid with no stars is more impactful to anFCS school than a 3 star kid. How many stars did Breitenstein have in HS?

Tyler Renew had 0 stars.

Reign of Terrier
August 27th, 2017, 06:17 PM

0. Stars are meaningless at worst and not-clear-cut at best.

kdinva
August 27th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Tyler Renew had 0 stars.

Tommy Haskins and Tim Maypray neither had any 1A offers.....maybe two 1AA offers...

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.vmikeydets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211663622&DB_OEM_ID=9800

citdog
August 27th, 2017, 06:20 PM
Tommy Haskins

One of the best I ever saw.

Milktruck74
August 27th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Tommy Haskins and Tim Maypray neither had any 1A offers.....maybe two 1AA offers...

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.vmikeydets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211663622&DB_OEM_ID=9800

Haskins wasn't due to a lack of talent. I played with him at Fork Union. I think he was really late in getting his 700 and VMI took stuck with him for the whole time.

OL FU
August 27th, 2017, 07:12 PM
The answer is yes you are An asshole. Now what's the question?

Smitty
August 27th, 2017, 07:13 PM
Just in case you guys missed it in the uniform thread, here is what WCU is wearing this week.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/m-footbl/auto_player/12810017.jpeg

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/m-footbl/auto_player/12809994.jpeg

I actually really like these and they are not obnoxious...

citdog
August 27th, 2017, 07:18 PM

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/526a7cefe4b0f35a9f00357c/t/52793b0ce4b0e33e3924a340/1383676698508/You+talking+to+me.jpg

ElCid
August 27th, 2017, 07:22 PM
Just in case you guys missed it in the uniform thread, here is what WCU is wearing this week.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/m-footbl/auto_player/12810017.jpeg

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/m-footbl/auto_player/12809994.jpeg

Ummm. You gots flowers on your uniform?!?! Just kidding. Not bad for the environment. Just kick their butt. They didn't look all that good yesterday. You can take em.

On another note, weather getting bad yet? My wife is fixing to come down tomorrow.

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Something that may (or may not) matter, but Hawaii played week 1 at UMass. One of the biggest difficulties for WCU will be overcoming the travel. However, that may be mitigated some as Hawaii oddly enough has as far (if not further) to travel to get back home.

citdog
August 27th, 2017, 07:39 PM

"If you're going to Cull O Whee. Be sure to wear some flowers in your Jersey."

ElCid
August 27th, 2017, 07:40 PM
Something that may (or may not) matter, but Hawaii played week 1 at UMass. One of the biggest difficulties for WCU will be overcoming the travel. However, that may be mitigated some as Hawaii oddly enough has as far (if not further) to travel to get back home.

I was thinking that as well, but Hawaii will be home in their time zone. WCU will be playing at midnight Cullowhee time. Still an advantage for the Rainbow Warriors.

citdog
August 27th, 2017, 07:40 PM

Couldn't be me as I am THE asshole....

OL FU
August 27th, 2017, 07:55 PM
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/526a7cefe4b0f35a9f00357c/t/52793b0ce4b0e33e3924a340/1383676698508/You+talking+to+me.jpg

You know me I would never say any thing like that about my buddy and pal

citdog
August 27th, 2017, 08:05 PM
You know me I would never say any thing like that about my buddy and pal

xlolx

PaladinFan
August 28th, 2017, 08:49 AM
I was thinking that as well, but Hawaii will be home in their time zone. WCU will be playing at midnight Cullowhee time. Still an advantage for the Rainbow Warriors.

No doubt. I just think that is better than WCU playing against a Hawaii team that just sat home last week. Both teams will have some significant travel.

Of course, Hawaii has significant travel to play anyone.

kdinva
August 28th, 2017, 11:26 AM
VMI's Greg Sanders looking forward to 2017.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNL8ucf7DH0

SU DOG
August 28th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Good player... VMI just might surprise some SoCon teams this year...Stingy looking defense for sure.

SU DOG
August 28th, 2017, 12:17 PM
Samford has a problem for Thursday. If the weather guys are right( and they could change their minds before then), there will be heavy rain(hopefully not lightning) at game time. Will playing in those conditions badly hurt our passing game? Does Kennesaw State gain a big advantage in the rain? Also, will anybody show up? We do have a very fickle fair-weather fan base unfortunately. This game was expected to be well attended by our standards. Just some questions that run through my mind as Thursday approaches.

Of course, all this is insignificant when we consider the disaster out in Texas.

PaladinFan
August 28th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Samford has a problem for Thursday. If the weather guys are right( and they could change their minds before then), there will be heavy rain(hopefully not lightning) at game time. Will playing in those conditions badly hurt our passing game? Does Kennesaw State gain a big advantage in the rain? Also, will anybody show up? We do have a very fickle fair-weather fan base unfortunately. This game was expected to be well attended by our standards. Just some questions that run through my mind as Thursday approaches.

Of course, all this is insignificant when we consider the disaster out in Texas.

The common theory is that a steady rain storm will disadvantage the throwing team and neutralize a team's speed and quickness advantage. It is harder to catch, throw, and make cuts in inclement weather. That may not matter so much on artificial turf, though.

I find that only the most stalwart fans will show up for such games. You have to be a special kind of fan to willingly sit through a four hour football game in a deluge.

My inlaws are in Houston. They have been sending updates pretty routinely. Found out this morning that they are likely going to be under a few feet of water after the decision to open the reservoirs. Football sort of takes a back seat to all of that.

Catamount87
August 28th, 2017, 12:52 PM
No doubt. I just think that is better than WCU playing against a Hawaii team that just sat home last week. Both teams will have some significant travel.

Of course, Hawaii has significant travel to play anyone.

The Rainbow Warriors beat UMass 38-35 with the winning TD coming with just 48 seconds left on the clock. They're definitely a passing team, 391 of their 503 yards were through the air. UMass only averaged 2.8 YPC running but I suspect that's more because they aren't a strong running team rather than great run defense by Hawai'i. UMass also went 8-16 on 3rd down and 3-3 on 4th down. So, that lends some credence to the idea that UH isn't strong against the run. Not to mention they gave up 235 yards per game on the ground last year.

How we do against Hawai'i I think all hinges on how quickly our new DC has gotten his system in place. A few UH fans that have posted predictions seem to think that it'll be a blowout. I think it'll be anyone's game with their roster depth being the deciding factor.

walliver
August 28th, 2017, 01:20 PM

The traditional wisdom applies to old-style offenses.
Bad weather frequently works against triple option teams as pitches become risky and QB's and RB's have trouble making cuts, which are big in TO offenses.
Long passes will be dropped more often, but defenders are also more likely to slip and fall leaving wide open receivers with lots of open fields which helps the short passing game.
Rubber and plastic fields hold up better in heavy rain, but are quite prone to very slick areas which are not visibly recognized as such. App State used to have such an area near one of their end zones designed specifically to mess with Furman.

Smitty
August 28th, 2017, 01:42 PM
The Rainbow Warriors beat UMass 38-35 with the winning TD coming with just 48 seconds left on the clock. They're definitely a passing team, 391 of their 503 yards were through the air. UMass only averaged 2.8 YPC running but I suspect that's more because they aren't a strong running team rather than great run defense by Hawai'i. UMass also went 8-16 on 3rd down and 3-3 on 4th down. So, that lends some credence to the idea that UH isn't strong against the run. Not to mention they gave up 235 yards per game on the ground last year.

How we do against Hawai'i I think all hinges on how quickly our new DC has gotten his system in place. A few UH fans that have posted predictions seem to think that it'll be a blowout. I think it'll be anyone's game with their roster depth being the deciding factor.

That and the fact that the game will be at 12am EST. While the team will have a few days to prepare, jet lag can still play a factor

Milktruck74
August 28th, 2017, 03:22 PM
That and the fact that the game will be at 12am EST. While the team will have a few days to prepare, jet lag can still play a factor

Yeah, college kids might be tired at midnight???? Wow, times have changed!!!!

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Samford has a problem for Thursday. If the weather guys are right( and they could change their minds before then), there will be heavy rain(hopefully not lightning) at game time. Will playing in those conditions badly hurt our passing game? Does Kennesaw State gain a big advantage in the rain?

This should help...all Results & Weather Conditions under CCH's offense at Sammy. You can work out the R values for yourself and have your answer...

...but, here are a few things I gleaned pretty quickly...

Sammy's record when the windspeed is > or = to 10 MPH is 2-6...25%
Sammy's record when the windspeed is < 10 MPH is 11-4...73.3%

That SEEMS significant to me.

Only 1 game noted in Rain...and it was a LOSS.

Opponent
TEMP
WIND SPEED
WEATHER
Result
Points Scored
Opp. Points

Central Arkansas
Partly cloudy
WIN

FAMU
Partly cloudy
WIN

Chattanooga
Sunny and clear
LOSS

Louisville
Cloudy
LOSS

VMI
Vintage fall day
WIN

The Citadel
Clear and sunny
LOSS

Western Carolina
Partly cloudy, cool
LOSS

Furman
Overcast and rainy
LOSS

Clark Atlanta
Overcast
WIN

Wofford
Sunny
WIN

Mercer
Cloudy
WIN

Mars Hill
Partly cloudy
WIN

Central Arkansas
Clear
WIN

Chattanooga
Mostly Sunny
LOSS

Wofford
Partly cloudy
WIN

Furman
Overcast
WIN

VMI
Partly Cloudy
WIN

Western Carolina
Sunny and clear
WIN

Mississippi State
Sunny skies
LOSS

The Citadel
Clear
LOSS

Mercer
Slightly overcast
WIN

ETSU
Wind gusts over 40
LOSS

Youngstown State
Cloudy
LOSS

ElCid
August 28th, 2017, 05:53 PM

Maybe not for hoisting a few, but going four quarters of div I football?

SU DOG
August 28th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Thanks - I think - FUB. You must be a man with loads of spare time. xlolx

Smitty
August 28th, 2017, 06:15 PM

Time travel is not a kind mistress, especially when you travel back into the past.

citdog
August 28th, 2017, 06:21 PM
Time travel is not a kind mistress, especially when you travel back into the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSr2YbIRdaU

CID1990
August 28th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Our two deep for the Newberry game just came out

Offense:

9 true freshmen

it goes downhill from there to 2 seniors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sudog03
August 28th, 2017, 06:55 PM
This should help...all Results & Weather Conditions under CCH's offense at Sammy. You can work out the R values for yourself and have your answer...

...but, here are a few things I gleaned pretty quickly...

Sammy's record when the windspeed is > or = to 10 MPH is 2-6...25%
Sammy's record when the windspeed is < 10 MPH is 11-4...73.3%

That SEEMS significant to me.

Only 1 game noted in Rain...and it was a LOSS.

Opponent
TEMP
WIND SPEED
WEATHER
Result
Points Scored
Opp. Points

Central Arkansas
Partly cloudy
WIN

FAMU
Partly cloudy
WIN

Chattanooga
Sunny and clear
LOSS

Louisville
Cloudy
LOSS

VMI
Vintage fall day
WIN

The Citadel
Clear and sunny
LOSS

Western Carolina
Partly cloudy, cool
LOSS

Furman
Overcast and rainy
LOSS

Clark Atlanta
Overcast
WIN

Wofford
Sunny
WIN

Mercer
Cloudy
WIN

Mars Hill
Partly cloudy
WIN

Central Arkansas
Clear
WIN

Chattanooga
Mostly Sunny
LOSS

Wofford
Partly cloudy
WIN

Furman
Overcast
WIN

VMI
Partly Cloudy
WIN

Western Carolina
Sunny and clear
WIN

Mississippi State
Sunny skies
LOSS

The Citadel
Clear
LOSS

Mercer
Slightly overcast
WIN

ETSU
Wind gusts over 40
LOSS

Youngstown State
Cloudy
LOSS

Just FYI, 2 of those 6 losses in weather conditions you mentioned were against FBS teams. It could be raining locusts or played in a dome, pretty sure we are going to have a hard time against Louisville and Mississippi State. The Citadel loss a couple of years ago when it was Sunny and the wind was blowing 10 mph, didn't impact the fact that we couldn't get off a block or make a tackle. Another was against a team that went to the national championship game. Long story short, the records you mentioned had way more to do with the opponent played and our preparation than the weather that day.

Milktruck74
August 28th, 2017, 06:58 PM
Maybe not for hoisting a few, but going four quarters of div I football?

We did both....maybe not in that order....but we didn't win may either. hahahah

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2017, 07:02 PM
Just FYI, 2 of those 6 losses in weather conditions you mentioned were against FBS teams. It could be raining locusts or played in a dome, pretty sure we are going to have a hard time against Louisville and Mississippi State. The Citadel loss a couple of years ago when it was Sunny and the wind was blowing 10 mph, didn't impact the fact that we couldn't get off a block or make a tackle. Another was against a team that went to the national championship game. Long story short, the records you mentioned had way more to do with the opponent played and our preparation than the weather that day.

OK - That's the context...and it seems you feel that context outweighs a 3x disparity in the winning % against the single variable I opined COULD have some correlated or causal relationship. You could be right. Maybe is doesn't. Maybe it's just a spurious occurrence. Just the same, I think I'll hope for a wet, windy day in Macon on 11/4 and similar in Homewood on 11/18....and for CLEARING & CALM before Thursday night.

Sir William
August 28th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Did someone say 3-time SoCon POY Stanford Jennings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXm3aYJhhG0&sns=em

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2017, 07:18 PM
Did someone say Stanford Jennings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXm3aYJhhG0&sns=em

Best & Worst day of his life. His 1st child (now an FU Alum) was born that morning...he returns a KO for a TD....and he would have been Super Bowl MVP if the game were just 34 seconds shorter....or if the 49er's had a couple fewer NFL Legends - guys not named Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Roger Craig, and John Taylor. Mr. Jennings STILL doesn't like to talk about Super Bowl XXIII too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq9PjJ6tVTU

sudog03
August 28th, 2017, 07:35 PM
OK - That's the context...and it seems you feel that context outweighs a 3x disparity in the winning % against the single variable I opined COULD have some correlated or causal relationship. You could be right. Maybe is doesn't. Maybe it's just a spurious occurrence. Just the same, I think I'll hope for a wet, windy day in Macon on 11/4 and similar in Homewood on 11/18....and for CLEARING & CALM before Thursday night.

Mercer hasn't beaten Samford since 1932. Did I miss any context in stating that fact? :D

citdog
August 28th, 2017, 07:44 PM
Our two deep for the Newberry game just came out

Offense:

9 true freshmen

it goes downhill from there to 2 seniors

Some Knobs beat out some of the Upperclassmen in Fall Camp. I LIKE THAT! The first three weeks set up perfectly.

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2017, 08:16 PM
Mercer hasn't beaten Samford since 1932. Did I miss any context in stating that fact? :D

I didn't say you missed any context at all. Obviously, you can choose to infer whatever conclusion(s) you would like from the data.

Oh...and, let's see...Samford has won 1 SoCon Championship in 10 years in the League, right?

At that rate, sometime around the year 2057, your Team will have won as many SoCon Football Championship Rings as I have....unless there are too many windy/wet days between now and then. :D

sudog03
August 28th, 2017, 08:25 PM
Mercer hasn't had a winning league record in it's 3 seasons playing in the SoCon, so how long are you going to have to wait around for one of those?

Congrats on winning your rings. SoCon championships are hard to come by.

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Mercer hasn't had a winning league record in it's 3 seasons playing in the SoCon, so how long are you going to have to wait around for one of those?

Congrats on winning your rings. SoCon championships are hard to come by.

Back to that context thing...

Mercer has doubled their number of Conference wins each year.

1 (2014)
1 x 2 = 2 (2015)
2 x 2 = 4 (2016)

What does 4 x 2 = ? ....

...and what is the name of that 80's TV show with all the kids and Dick Van Patten & Willie Aames?

PaladinNation
August 28th, 2017, 09:57 PM
Furman's game notes for Wofford are out… the Paladins are young.

14 freshmen on the two deep, 2 freshmen starters.

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2017, 11:09 PM
I think CIT may win the youth movement contest...

18 FR on the 2-Deep
6 FR Starters
3 FR OL Starters/5 of the 10 OLmen on the 2-Deep are FR

*14/5 if only including O & D

citdog
August 29th, 2017, 01:02 AM
I think CIT may win the youth movement contest...

18 FR on the 2-Deep
6 FR Starters
3 FR OL Starters/5 of the 10 OLmen on the 2-Deep are FR

*14/5 if only including O & D

Redshirt Freshmen are not Knobs. It's time for them to begin contributing.

kdinva
August 29th, 2017, 07:42 PM
VMI's first two deep contains 9 Rats, 9 R-Fr.

http://www.vmikeydets.com/pdf9/5455220.pdf?ATCLID=211664141&SPSID=105764&SPID=3895&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=9800

ElCid
August 29th, 2017, 07:45 PM
Some Knobs beat out some of the Upperclassmen in Fall Camp. I LIKE THAT! The first three weeks set up perfectly.

Sure hope you're right. I will see the first installment in a few days.

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2017, 09:58 PM

http://www.vmikeydets.com/pdf9/5455220.pdf?ATCLID=211664141&SPSID=105764&SPID=3895&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=9800

I see my man, R-FR Kendrick Jackson, pulling that START for the Keydets!

Go HornetRoos!

NorthChuckSouth
August 29th, 2017, 10:01 PM

https://68.media.tumblr.com/744aef1d1db90d2415610b5f13aece10/tumblr_onqn41qPFZ1ty8mi0o1_500.gif

Reign of Terrier
August 30th, 2017, 05:39 PM
I'm not asking this obnoxiously or condescendingly....but when did Samford win a Socon championship???

FUBeAR
August 30th, 2017, 05:48 PM
I'm not asking this obnoxiously or condescendingly....but when did Samford win a Socon championship???

3 way tie/split with Chatt & FU in 2013.

Playoffs...
FU got the auto bid, beat SCSt, then gave eventual-champion NDSU all they wanted, but fell in the FarGoDome; Chatt got completely screwed & got left home; and Samford went up to JaxSt and looked like a Freshman walk-on Scout Team getting thumped badly. If it were a boxing match, the referee would have stopped the contest in the 1st half.

CID1990
August 30th, 2017, 06:05 PM

IF there is going to be an upset this week it will be our game.

Newberry is loaded with seniors and juniors. Their lines average around 290 with 4x 300 pounders. They have about the most veteran team that will play in any SoCon game this week.

We may win, but we aren't going to push them around to the tune of 42-10 or anything like that. I'll be happy to be wrong

Milktruck74
August 30th, 2017, 08:31 PM

Newberry is loaded with seniors and juniors. Their lines average around 290 with 4x 300 pounders. They have about the most veteran team that will play in any SoCon game this week.

We may win, but we aren't going to push them around to the tune of 42-10 or anything like that. I'll be happy to be wrong

This may all be true, and Newberry has traditionally had some pretty solid teams....but it is 63 vs 26.....Depth will show up strong in the 3rd qtr. Just like 85vs 63.

citdog
August 30th, 2017, 09:59 PM

I understand the nervousness. Nobody among The Citadel faithful has seen us underperform more than I. As you know my Dad took me to games as kid but I think this is a different animal. We have PLAYERS now and yes we are young but I think we are as talented as we have EVER been. It's time for these boys to shine. I believe they will.

ElCid
August 30th, 2017, 10:03 PM

Eh. I am much more optimistic. As I understand it, most of their production on o graduated. As far as our two deep goes, I think the coach is getting some game time for some of our promising youngsters more than anything. And sending a message to the lettermen maybe. Their lines might be bigger, but that obviously doesn't mean they are better. USCs lines were way bigger than ours two years ago and our o-line owned them and they were obviously much, much better than these fellows. I think we might start a little slow, maybe, but we should handle them with not much worry. Again, I am just optimistic overall. At least until I am disappointed.,

JSUSoutherner
August 30th, 2017, 10:33 PM

Playoffs...
FU got the auto bid, beat SCSt, then gave eventual-champion NDSU all they wanted, but fell in the FarGoDome; Chatt got completely screwed & got left home; and Samford went up to JaxSt and looked like a Freshman walk-on Scout Team getting thumped badly. If it were a boxing match, the referee would have stopped the contest in the 1st half.

Yeah. The only way we can get them to play us is if the NCAA forces them to apparently.

kdinva
August 31st, 2017, 05:07 AM
http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/vmi-full-of-optimism-at-start-of-football-season/article_3d27631c-70f2-55a3-969b-3891f225642b.html

Reign of Terrier
August 31st, 2017, 06:45 AM

Playoffs...

I remember now. I was at Wofford, we sucked that year, and I was too busy trinken zie bier to retain that bit of info

FUBeAR
August 31st, 2017, 06:47 AM
https://s26.postimg.org/mxwy7bjwp/IMG_0093.png

Not joking - I think this could be a BIG problem for Samford tonight. Hate it!

SoCon already looking bad with Chatt's roster merry-go-round/suspensions and the egg they laid in The Gump last Saturday. A SoCon Favorite/Playoff Team losing to a Big South Team that has NEVER won a game over a full scholarship FCS Team with a winning record would NOT be a good start for the SoCon.

Come on BULLDOGS! Pluck those owls!!

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2017, 06:53 AM
I remember now. I was at Wofford, we sucked that year, and I was too busy trinken zie bier to retain that bit of info

That was probably one of the wilder seasons in SoCon history. Furman wasn't particularly good, but blitzkrieged the second half of their schedule by riding an unsustainable turnover margin, a really good kicker, and an offense that was just mediocre enough to advance the ball far enough to attempt a field goal.

I believe that was also the season where the ESPN selection show showed UTC's team in the lead in, and then they weren't selected. They were probably the best team of the three co-champs, but lost to Samford on a late missed kick and Furman won the autobid. Hard to justify them putting them in over the autobid and the team that beat them head to head.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2017, 06:55 AM

SoCon already looking bad with Chatt's roster merry-go-round/suspensions and the egg they laid in The Gump last Saturday. A SoCon Favorite/Playoff Team losing to a Big South Team that has NEVER won a game over a full scholarship FCS Team with a winning record would NOT be a good start for the SoCon.

I don't think KSU is as good as Furman made them look last season, but they are plenty good enough to beat Samford if the Bulldogs aren't on their game.

ElCid
August 31st, 2017, 07:27 AM
I don't think KSU is as good as Furman made them look last season, but they are plenty good enough to beat Samford if the Bulldogs aren't on their game.

Rain or no rain, I am pretty sure the Owls will give up 300+ passing yards tonight. If you guys had shown up in the first half last year it would not have been an issue against the Owls.

FUBeAR
August 31st, 2017, 07:42 AM
Rain or no rain, I am pretty sure the Owls will give up 300+ passing yards tonight. If you guys had shown up in the first half last year it would not have been an issue against the Owls.

I don't know, sir. I think wind/water has a similar effect on that Offense as DL penetration at the QB/FB mesh point has on CIT's O.

Hopefully SAM. has done as they've claimed & conjured up a real running game this season. I'll believe it when I see it.

walliver
August 31st, 2017, 08:22 AM

If it's thunderstorms, and not just rain, this game may not get played until early Friday morning. Although with a Thursday night game, it would be possible to postpone a day or so.

Wofford has gotten away from night games in the early season to avoid that. We play FU at 6PM this week, but it is our only home night game.

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2017, 08:46 AM

Not showing up is, I think, one of the catalysts for the change of guard at Furman.

Never did I think I would see Furman play as poorly as they did in that half against KSU.

SU DOG
August 31st, 2017, 10:06 AM
Opening game jitters for me already, and these comments are making it worse.:( I am thinking, however, that wet weather can adversely affect the option that KSU runs also. Admittedly though, I would feel much better if this game was played on a dry field. We have better receivers, even with the loss of Hamilton, than most folks realize. The biggest concern IMO, is with the O-Line. This unit will likely start 2 RS Fr. 2 Soph. and 1 Jr. Our running game will be better, but how much better - I dunno. In practice the defense is what has been impressive. I still also think that we have better athletes than Kennesaw State presently fields. To me, this would be a devastating loss if we don't win it. As someone else stated, we need this for the conference too. I am excited - let's get it on. GO DOGS!!!!!

PaladinFan
August 31st, 2017, 10:13 AM
Opening game jitters for me already, and these comments are making it worse.:( I am thinking, however, that wet weather can adversely affect the option that KSU runs also. Admittedly though, I would feel much better if this game was played on a dry field. We have better receivers, even with the loss of Hamilton, than most folks realize. The biggest concern IMO, is with the O-Line. This unit will likely start 2 RS Fr. 2 Soph. and 1 Jr. Our running game will be better, but how much better - I dunno. In practice the defense is what has been impressive. I still also think that we have better athletes than Kennesaw State presently fields. To me, this would be a devastating loss if we don't win it. As someone else stated, we need this for the conference too. I am excited - let's get it on. GO DOGS!!!!!

One person on our forum noted that rain can actually help the passing game. The receivers know where they are going, and the defense doesn't.

Truthfully, Samford is a team looking to take the "next step." These are games you have to win to be taken seriously as a national contender. For teams positioned to make a playoff run, convincing wins over out of conference teams are important.

ElCid
August 31st, 2017, 01:16 PM
Not showing up is, I think, one of the catalysts for the change of guard at Furman.

Never did I think I would see Furman play as poorly as they did in that half against KSU.

There is always a silver lining. You have to
actual hit bottom before you can start rising.

ElCid
August 31st, 2017, 01:20 PM
I don't know, sir. I think wind/water has a similar effect on that Offense as DL penetration at the QB/FB mesh point has on CIT's O.

Hopefully SAM. has done as they've claimed & conjured up a real running game this season. I'll believe it when I see it.

Like Walliver said, if its thunderstorms, it might be delayed or, I might add, miss them entirely. If it is a downpour sure. But if it is showers, no big deal. Maybe small deal. I still think they rack up some aerial yardage.

Smitty
August 31st, 2017, 01:28 PM
There is always a silver lining. You have to
actual hit bottom before you can start rising.

Hey we were there. Got a taste of success then dropped like a rock very quickly...

Reign of Terrier
August 31st, 2017, 01:39 PM
That was probably one of the wilder seasons in SoCon history. Furman wasn't particularly good, but blitzkrieged the second half of their schedule by riding an unsustainable turnover margin, a really good kicker, and an offense that was just mediocre enough to advance the ball far enough to attempt a field goal.

I believe that was also the season where the ESPN selection show showed UTC's team in the lead in, and then they weren't selected. They were probably the best team of the three co-champs, but lost to Samford on a late missed kick and Furman won the autobid. Hard to justify them putting them in over the autobid and the team that beat them head to head.

That was the year Wofford started 5-3 and ended 5-6...rough year. I recall it now, but football wasn't good at wofford for 3/4 of the time I was there (which is ironic)

SU DOG
August 31st, 2017, 02:05 PM
Now a new weather problem. We are under a tornado watch until 8 PM. Outside right now - sunny and bright. Local HS games are cancelled and there are early school closings.

JSUSoutherner
August 31st, 2017, 02:11 PM
Now a new weather problem. We are under a tornado watch until 8 PM. Outside right now - sunny and bright. Local HS games are cancelled and there are early school closings.
People down here don't have a freaking clue how weather works.

cx500d
August 31st, 2017, 02:18 PM
I understand the nervousness. Nobody among The Citadel faithful has seen us underperform more than I. As you know my Dad took me to games as kid but I think this is a different animal. We have PLAYERS now and yes we are young but I think we are as talented as we have EVER been. It's time for these boys to shine. I believe they will.

You pussies, worried about a d2 team from a school with 1000 people. It's not like they are ndsu in their d2 heyday.

SU DOG
August 31st, 2017, 02:18 PM
Just learned that UNA(Florence AL) has rescheduled their home game scheduled for tonight to Friday night. Kinda ironic that their opponent is Texas A&M Commerce.

ElCid
September 1st, 2017, 12:02 AM

Not sure Wx played a part other than the delay, which may have actually helped Samford. They came out pretty fired up after a 3+ hour half time. Hodges didn't hit 300 yards but went 16/24 for 241. I think KSU holding the ball for 36+ minutes obviously limited his throws. Plus the bulldogs were at least trying to run. But they just didn't get it going. Not good.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2017, 04:52 AM
Not sure Wx played a part other than the delay, which may have actually helped Samford. They came out pretty fired up after a 3+ hour half time. Hodges didn't hit 300 yards but went 16/24 for 241. I think KSU holding the ball for 36+ minutes obviously limited his throws. Plus the bulldogs were at least trying to run. But they just didn't get it going. Not good.

First off, gutty win by Samford. Bad conditions and really a "must have" victory.

I'm curious as to the fans assessment after one week. I know a lot was made of the renewed focus on the running game and defense, but it didn't look like either showed up.

The Bulldogs surrendered 545 yards to KSU on 85 plays to KSU. Perhaps more concerning is that they gave up 252 passing yards to a running football team. KSU had 8 drives of 7+ plays. Samford's got an electric offense, but it seems as though the Owls had a pretty good game plan to keep it out of Hodges' hands.

Samford's running game also looked like it struggled. 35 carries for 70 yards (2.0 ypc). KSU had 7 tackles for loss and 2 sacks. There were 37 lost rushing yards, but only 11 on sacks.

I didn't get a chance to watch the game. I know there was some concern about the offensive line, and the stats suggest maybe they had a bad game (7 tfl and 2 sacks). I'd also be interested to know how a team puts up nearly 550 yards of offense and only scores 23 points. KSU put up similar offensive numbers against Furman last year and scored 52.

Catamount87
September 1st, 2017, 08:36 AM
Samford gave up 291 yards on 61 carries or 4.8 yard a carry. That type of defensive effort won't bode well against the likes of Wofford and The Citadel nor well against Mercer, WCU and potentially Furman and VMI which are going more run focused option offenses. They also allowed KSU to go 10-20 on 3rd down. Ugh.

I wasn't able to watch the game, what was the feeling from those that watched it. Anomaly on defense or not?

As for Mercer, not surprising how it looks like they just out manned Jacksonville. It'll be interesting to see what FuBear has to say about that dominating performance.

Purpleglasses
September 1st, 2017, 08:49 AM
I thought the SOCON introduced Replay this season? Did this change?
if so, Sammy had some home cooking...either way, Sammy had some home cooking!

https://twitter.com/KSUOwlHowl/status/903439362834259969

Toby
September 1st, 2017, 09:26 AM

Only Mercer and Citadel using Replay this season.

It was used at least once last night at Mercer. A Jacksonville fumble was ruled down on the field but was properly overruled on replay as a fumble. But I was wondering why the Mercer player could not pick the ball up and run 10 yards for the TD. Mercer got the ball on about the Jacksonville ten and then scored. Is it because you can not advance a fumble or because the whistle had blown the play dead? Can an inappropriate whistle be overruled?

FUBeAR
September 1st, 2017, 09:26 AM
Samford gave up 291 yards on 61 carries or 4.8 yard a carry. That type of defensive effort won't bode well against the likes of Wofford and The Citadel nor well against Mercer, WCU and potentially Furman and VMI which are going more run focused option offenses. They also allowed KSU to go 10-20 on 3rd down. Ugh.

I wasn't able to watch the game, what was the feeling from those that watched it. Anomaly on defense or not?

As for Mercer, not surprising how it looks like they just out manned Jacksonville. It'll be interesting to see what FuBear has to say about that dominating performance.

FUBeAR, please (only the e is lower case...if CIT can DEMAND their "The," then FUBeAR can demand proper usage as well) xthumbsupx

Bears played well.
Played a lot of people a lot of plays on both sides of the ball.
Young QB had a solid debut.
Defense looks speedy and stout - pretty much shut down option running game (again).
Thought the Bears running game could have been better. O-Line still needs to gel a bit, I guess.
They will play better when the Angry (0-1) PorchYappers travel down to Maconga next Saturday...

In BIGGER news, there is now a FANTASTIC Mircobrew Pub ( https://growlerusa.com/craft-beer-pubs/ga-macon/ ) just across the street/bridge from Five Star Stadium in Macon...100 FABULOUS Beers on Tap and Growlers to go!!! Surprised I actually went to the game once I posted up in there around 4 PM....AND...as I later found out, they are the vendor running the Beer Garden INSIDE the stadium as well.

GREAT BEER & GREAT FCS Football all in the same place. Only 1 of my 3 favorite things missing from that mix...and I don't think that will be added to the services provided inside the stadium...in my lifetime. ;)

Toby
September 1st, 2017, 09:33 AM

Yep, pretty clear the receiver had one foot in bounds. It was a great catch and should have been a TD.

FUBeAR
September 1st, 2017, 09:45 AM
Yep, pretty clear the receiver had one foot in bounds. It was a great catch and should have been a TD.

Now see...I don't think it is CLEAR from that angle. In the first view, from the sidelines, it looks like his closest foot landed WAY out of bounds because we are blocked, by the camera man in the red coat, from seeing him do the toe tap with that left foot. In the 2nd view from the end zone, we can see the left foot toe tap this time and see that it was a lot closer that it originally looked....BUT....the toe of his shoe still could have been on the white when he tapped it and we can't fully see his toe from that angle. The official (the Head Linesman) trailing the play has a clear view of his toe and he called it incomplete. Unless there is a clear view from an angle showing the toe of his left shoe is FULLY in the blue, then I don't think the call on the field can/should be overturned.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2017, 10:22 AM
Now see...I don't think it is CLEAR from that angle. In the first view, from the sidelines, it looks like his closest foot landed WAY out of bounds because we are blocked, by the camera man in the red coat, from seeing him do the toe tap with that left foot. In the 2nd view from the end zone, we can see the left foot toe tap this time and see that it was a lot closer that it originally looked....BUT....the toe of his shoe still could have been on the white when he tapped it and we can't fully see his toe from that angle. The official (the Head Linesman) trailing the play has a clear view of his toe and he called it incomplete. Unless there is a clear view from an angle showing the toe of his left shoe is FULLY in the blue, then I don't think the call on the field can/should be overturned.

Would we expect different angles when the schools have to invoke replay?

That is, will the refs be relegated to wherever the TV cameras are posted, or will they have more cameras to catch better angles?

BearDownMU
September 1st, 2017, 10:44 AM
Would we expect different angles when the schools have to invoke replay?

That is, will the refs be relegated to wherever the TV cameras are posted, or will they have more cameras to catch better angles?

Just what the TV cameras capture, I believe.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2017, 11:07 AM
Another interesting note on the Samford box score.

Samford surrendered 252 passing yards. 133 of those yards went to KSU running backs on 6 receptions. That's over 22 yards a catch for the KSU backfield.

That suggests a really poor tackling day.

Catamount87
September 1st, 2017, 11:25 AM
FUBeAR, please (only the e is lower case...if CIT can DEMAND their "The," then FUBeAR can demand proper usage as well) xthumbsupx

Sorry, about that FUBeAR, I meant no disrespect, Mea Culpa.

As for that fine southern institution located in Charleston, like that one eyed institution in that Midwestern state between PA and IN, they can get over themselves and The.

citdog
September 1st, 2017, 11:28 AM
Sorry, about that FUBeAR, I meant no disrespect, Mea Culpa.

As for that fine southern institution located in Charleston, like that one eyed institution in that Midwestern state between PA and IN, they can get over themselves and The.

Or you could go to hell.

citdog
September 1st, 2017, 11:30 AM
Samford looked like a typical Hatcher coached team. No defense, no running game, and poorly led. Why would they be any different? That is what they hired.

Milktruck74
September 1st, 2017, 12:09 PM

ElCid a Pilot????

SU DOG
September 1st, 2017, 12:10 PM
I was disappointed in the way we began. This game was in some ways reminiscent of the first game last year(at UCA), except that the halves were reversed. Coach keeps saying that we need to improve on our running game, yet we still sucked last night. Our defense is better than the stats show, although we were not consistent. All in all, I'm glad for the W, but I realize that this type of performance will not get the job done in the SoCon. KSU is a little better than I thought, but Samford did not look like a top 20 team last night. My hope is that we get better in a hurry.

FUBeAR
September 1st, 2017, 12:21 PM
I was disappointed in the way we began. This game was in some ways reminiscent of the first game last year(at UCA), except that the halves were reversed. Coach keeps saying that we need to improve on our running game, yet we still sucked last night. Our defense is better than the stats show, although we were not consistent. All in all, I'm glad for the W, but I realize that this type of performance will not get the job done in the SoCon. KSU is a little better than I thought, but Samford did not look like a top 20 team last night. My hope is that we get better in a hurry.

Would really like to see more of this game....The little bit I have seen was somewhat shocking though....what I saw of SAM.'s Defense reminded me of, I don't know...sort of like a 'rogue' HS Team with a few kids playing as individuals to impress someone (their parents or girlfriends or maybe what they think college scouts want to see)....leading to completely missed assignments...VERY bad tackling....AND, honestly, a lack of hustle.

Maybe these were just the KSU's highlights...I don't know.

Seems like it was a very FREAKY night over in Homewood....

Purpleglasses
September 1st, 2017, 12:30 PM
my humble opinion, no weather delay, no Samford win. That was the turning point in the game.

ElCid
September 1st, 2017, 12:42 PM
ElCid a Pilot????

Yeah, retired, old habit.

ElCid
September 1st, 2017, 12:50 PM
my humble opinion, no weather delay, no Samford win. That was the turning point in the game.

This is pretty spot on.

Would really like to see more of this game....The little bit I have seen was somewhat shocking though....what I saw of SAM.'s Defense reminded me of, I don't know...sort of like a 'rogue' HS Team with a few kids playing as individuals to impress someone (their parents or girlfriends or maybe what they think college scouts want to see)....leading to completely missed assignments...VERY bad tackling....AND, honestly, a lack of hustle.

Maybe these were just the KSU's highlights...I don't know.

Seems like it was a very FREAKY night over in Homewood....

This too. At least in the first half. Who know in the second half. ESPN3 died. But it looked like a lot of football players and not much teamwork and poor fundamentals. Par for Samford the last few years.

Catamount87
September 1st, 2017, 12:56 PM
Or you could go to hell.

Aww, it looks like I hurt a snowflake's feelings.

Milktruck74
September 1st, 2017, 12:59 PM

That is THE Snowflake to you!!!

citdog
September 1st, 2017, 01:01 PM

Feelings? Naw Bro your school would have to be relevant in the SoCon to have anybody feel one way or another about you. I have blood kin who went to WCU, not Catamount Man, and they are among the best people on the planet.

Catamount87
September 1st, 2017, 04:05 PM
Feelings? Naw Bro your school would have to be relevant in the SoCon to have anybody feel one way or another about you. I have blood kin who went to WCU, not Catamount Man, and they are among the best people on the planet.

Now we can agree on something, the best people on the planet went to or are attending WCU! GO CATS!

DoWe
September 2nd, 2017, 12:19 AM
Are you out of your mind? The replay angles are worthless. That's typical when production costs are constrained.

ElCid
September 2nd, 2017, 12:40 AM
Are you out of your mind? The replay angles are worthless. That's typical when production costs are constrained.

Heard we have pylon cams now for the replay. Hope so.

sudog03
September 2nd, 2017, 07:13 AM
This too. At least in the first half. Who know in the second half. ESPN3 died. But it looked like a lot of football players and not much teamwork and poor fundamentals. Par for Samford the last few years.

Hate the feed didn't work, but Samford looked like a different team in the second half, especially the 3rd quarter. After allowing almost 225 yards rushing in the first half, we only allowed about 70 in the second half. Tip of the cap to KSU they executed some well designed pass plays in the second half which allowed them to stay in the game.

citdog
September 2nd, 2017, 07:24 AM
Hate the feed didn't work, but Samford looked like a different team in the second half, especially the 3rd quarter. After allowing almost 225 yards rushing in the first half, we only allowed about 70 in the second half. Tip of the cap to KSU they executed some well designed pass plays in the second half which allowed them to stay in the game.

Dude they went through y'all like Lee went through Pope at Second Manassas.

sudog03
September 2nd, 2017, 07:35 AM
Dude they went through y'all like Lee went through Pope at Second Manassas.

No doubt in the first half they had 349 yards. It was ugly for our defense. We made some nice adjustments during the delay and allowed 196 in the second.

FUBeAR
September 2nd, 2017, 07:41 AM

Something smells real funny here...

Apparently, the municipality of Homewood, AL was kidnapped by Aliens for about 3.5 hours Thursday night as all broadcast feeds, as well as social media posts, became dormant.

Now, the replay on ESPN has an 18-1/2 minute (game clock minutes) gap in coverage. 18-1/2 minute gap? Sound familiar to you, G. Gordon?

And this 'gap' exactly corresponds with the time when SAM. scored 2 TD's & looked like the '67 Packers instead of a broken-down '47 Packard.

If a gimmicky offense scores in the forest, but nobody sees it, did it really happen?

Capricorn One ...just sayin'

sudog03
September 2nd, 2017, 07:49 AM
Something smells real funny here...

Apparently, the municipality of Homewood, AL was kidnapped by Aliens for about 3.5 hours Thursday night as all broadcast feeds, as well as social media posts, became dormant.

Now, the replay on ESPN has an 18-1/2 minute (game clock minutes) gap in coverage. 18-1/2 minute gap? Sound familiar to you, G. Gordon?

And this 'gap' exactly corresponds with the time when SAM. scored 2 TD's & looked like the '67 Packers instead of a broken-down '47 Packard.

If a gimmicky offense scores in the forest, but nobody sees it, did it really happen?

Capricorn One ...just sayin'

Have you adjusted your record yet for us against teams in wind/rain?

Gimmicky offense? You must be talking about the halfback pass KSU to score against us in the 2nd half.

FUBeAR
September 2nd, 2017, 07:52 AM
Have you adjusted your record yet for us against teams in wind/rain?

Can't - all NWS data from that area during that time frame has been scrubbed/altered.

Toby
September 2nd, 2017, 08:05 AM

Went back and watched it again in slow motion, frame by frame. Looks clear to me. Still an awesome catch. The receiver had to fight off the DB's hands, made a great catch and got his foot inbounds. I think the odds are high it would have been overturned. Unless you have another angle, I say TD. But all doubt always goes to the receiver (unless my team's on defense). :)

Toby
September 2nd, 2017, 08:50 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25990&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25991&stc=1

Maybe the camera man in the red shirt has a better shot. The ref on the goal line calls this. I think he sees the second contact of the left foot out of bounds but missed the first left foot contact inbounds. I'm not a KSU fan and was routing for Samford to win this game, but based on this, I say TD. And probably pass interference as well.

Toby
September 2nd, 2017, 09:05 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25992&stc=1
Here is the pass interference.

Sandlapper Spike
September 2nd, 2017, 09:12 AM
I thought it was clearly a TD. This is going to be an issue all season, with the SoCon essentially having different sets of rules for its games, depending on location.

citdog
September 2nd, 2017, 09:27 AM
No doubt in the first half they had 349 yards. It was ugly for our defense. We made some nice adjustments during the delay and allowed 196 in the second.

Your defense IS ugly. The Citadel and Woffy might rush for 1250 combined yards against that hot garbage.

sudog03
September 2nd, 2017, 10:21 AM
Your defense IS ugly. The Citadel and Woffy might rush for 1250 combined yards against that hot garbage.

Right. That's why we held a team that averaged 38 points a game last season to 23. Oh and one of their scoring drives started on our 4. And good for Woffy, they will need it seeing we are 4-1 against them in our last 5 games against them. Looking forward to our matchup this season. Anxious to see what yall can do against us with Shaheed Salmon playing.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2017, 11:12 AM
I am going to try to keep today's game in perspective. Furman's a young team, new coaching staff, playing on the road against a top 15 team full of veterans.

I think Furman will give a good account of themselves, and maybe surprise the Terriers. I am just looking for something that looks like the forward momentum that Furman has lacked for a number of years. Better execution, better tackling, more aggressiveness, and force Wofford to earn every yard.

Today's the first day of a new era for Paladin football. Go get em.

citdog
September 2nd, 2017, 11:54 AM
Right. That's why we held a team that averaged 38 points a game last season to 23. Oh and one of their scoring drives started on our 4. And good for Woffy, they will need it seeing we are 4-1 against them in our last 5 games against them. Looking forward to our matchup this season. Anxious to see what yall can do against us with Shaheed Salmon playing.

You got run over and around by KSU. The only thing that saved you from defeat was a 3 hour weather delay that allowed your defense who had cleat marks all over their backs to recover.

sudog03
September 2nd, 2017, 12:07 PM
Wait, KSU didn't get the break? I was inside waiting waiting out the weather, who knew they were out there playing by themselves.

citdog
September 2nd, 2017, 12:09 PM
Wait, KSU didn't get the break? I was inside waiting waiting out the weather, who knew they were out there playing by themselves.

The only people that needed a break was your defense who played like the French Army did in WWII.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2017, 12:19 PM
Look, a win is a win. I said last week that KSU was going to give Samford problems. They did.

The issue for Samford is that common theory was that they needed to play better defense and run the ball. They didn't show either aspect was fixed in week 1.

There is typically a big jump in improvements between week 1 and week 2. Samford played a tough team and won. They need to get to work, because the SoCon has a bunch of teams that do what KSU does, but better.

kymoc91
September 2nd, 2017, 12:40 PM
Waiting to see Furman take on Wofford. How much will the new coaching staff bring to Furman? Hate it that their first game is a conference game. Furman will probably need a few games before they settle in.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2017, 01:56 PM
Waiting to see Furman take on Wofford. How much will the new coaching staff bring to Furman? Hate it that their first game is a conference game. Furman will probably need a few games before they settle in.

Not even the Furman fans know what to expect. The Paladins have 49 freshman. There's going to be some growing pains.

That said, I do think Furman matches up well against Wofford. The Paladins have focused heavily on getting in better shape, and are expected to run a fast paced offense. The experienced players we do have play the best positions (QB, C, NG, MLB, S).

It's a tough draw for the first game. I expect Furman is going to want to push the pace and use their speed and athleticism advantage. Wofford is going to want to slow it down and rely on their size advantage. Both teams are going to want to wear out their opponent by forcing their style of play.

kymoc91
September 2nd, 2017, 02:00 PM
At least you will know where you are at this point and where you need to work. We saw where our biggest needs were against a tough JSU team.

kdinva
September 2nd, 2017, 05:45 PM
VMI an absolute no-show at USAFA......kids played tentative....not with the energy they showed all preseason.....Coulling took a hit to the head early 2nd quarter.....this week, Little Hodges and Udinski will battle for the start vs. Catawba. VMI's O-Line also out classed today, despite the experience out there (2 R-Sr. 2 R-Jr).....AFA could go 8-4/9-3 this year...

Toby
September 2nd, 2017, 06:09 PM
Firman giving Wofford a game. 10-10 withminutes to go in first half. Furman just missed a 30 something FF.

OL FU
September 2nd, 2017, 06:47 PM
After what appears to have been a questionable holding call cost us a td

OL FU
September 2nd, 2017, 06:53 PM
17-10 furman

citdog
September 2nd, 2017, 06:57 PM
furman sucks

OL FU
September 2nd, 2017, 06:59 PM
You and furman have something in common

Toby
September 2nd, 2017, 08:03 PM
Congrats to Furman for making it close. Wofford 24-23. But that 2 point conversion play was UGLY.

kymoc91
September 2nd, 2017, 08:08 PM
Hosts off to Furman for a great game. Much closer than I expected.

kymoc91
September 2nd, 2017, 08:11 PM
Hosts off to Furman for a great game. Much closer than I expected.
Hats off, that is. (Hate the way iPhone autocorrects the way it wants)

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2017, 08:12 PM
Congrats to Furman for making it close. Wofford 24-23. But that 2 point conversion play was UGLY.

I love the call to go for it. I hated the call.

That said, really encouraging result for Furman. The boys were playing hard, blocking hard, running hard, holding onto the football, and executing. That team is going to continue to grow and get better, and will make life tough for some squads this season.

OL FU
September 2nd, 2017, 08:15 PM
First game so hard to tell. But excited so far. Wish we could have pulled it off. Oh yeah citdog sucks

Toby
September 2nd, 2017, 08:18 PM
I love the call to go for it. I hated the call.

That said, really encouraging result for Furman. The boys were playing hard, blocking hard, running hard, holding onto the football, and executing. That team is going to continue to grow and get better, and will make life tough for some squads this season.

Going for two is the right call, but give the guys a chance. It looks like they drew that play up on the bus on the way over.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2017, 08:22 PM
Going for two is the right call, but give the guys a chance. It looks like they drew that play up on the bus on the way over.

Ayers said they saw that play on film. I guess Reinhardt would run it.

Furman's defense holds Wofford to 292 yards, and 211 yards on the ground. Furman put up 383 yards and 23 points (and one TD called back on a phantom holding call away from the play) against what is widely considered one of the nation's best defenses.

Encouraging effort.

longtimemocfan
September 2nd, 2017, 08:26 PM
Great effort by Furman. Could make life hard for everyone in the conference, but what in world was that 2 point play ? Just wonder how much that play had been practiced. Not executed very well.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2017, 08:42 PM
Great effort by Furman. Could make life hard for everyone in the conference, but what in world was that 2 point play ? Just wonder how much that play had been practiced. Not executed very well.

Wofford said they saw it on film. That's a play you can only run successfully if the other team doesn't know to expect it.

Toby
September 2nd, 2017, 09:00 PM
Week 1 SoCon Assessment

Wofford - Worse than expected with 24-23 win over Furman
UTC - Worse than expected with 27-13 loss to JSU
Citadel - Worse than? But hard to know with 31-14 win over Newberry
Samford - Worse than expected with 28-23 win over KSU
Mercer - Better than expected with 41-7 win over Jacksonville
Furman - Better than with loss to Wofford
ETSU - As expected? with 31-10 win over Limestone
VMI - Worse than with 62-0 loss to Air Force
WCU - ??? Too late for me to stay up. TBD.

Agree? Disagree?

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2017, 09:01 PM
Week 1 SoCon Assessment

UTC - Worse than expected with 31-17 loss to JSU

Agree? Disagree?

Mercer expectedly thumped a non-scholarship team at home. As expected.

kymoc91
September 2nd, 2017, 09:15 PM
The Chattanooga loss to JSU was 27-13.

BearDownMU
September 2nd, 2017, 09:17 PM

R-Fr. QB and Center getting not only their first starts but first game action in college following up two guys that made every start for 4 years. And said R-Fr QB accounted for 5 TDs. I'd like to have met the guy before the game that thought that was the expectation.

I expected us to win. But I didn't expect what I saw.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2017, 09:19 PM
Furman put up almost as many offensive yards (383) and rushing yards (159) on the road against Wofford as Mercer put up (397) and (177) against Jacksonville at home. On 20 fewer plays.

BearDownMU
September 2nd, 2017, 09:24 PM
Furman put up almost as many offensive yards (383) and rushing yards (159) on the road against Wofford as Mercer put up (397) and (177) against Jacksonville at home. On 20 fewer plays.

I'm not sure I quite know what that is supposed to mean. Especially since we basically called off the dogs and put in 3rd string everyone with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter when it was 41-0.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2017, 09:25 PM
R-Fr. QB and Center getting not only their first starts but first game action in college following up two guys that made every start for 4 years. And said R-Fr QB accounted for 5 TDs. I'd like to have met the guy before the game that thought that was the expectation.

I expected us to win. But I didn't expect what I saw.

A SoCon team should do that to a nonscholarship team every time out. Maybe others feel differently.

Toby
September 2nd, 2017, 09:26 PM

Weren't you the one who said it would be hard to replace John Russ and that Mercer would struggle? So you expected Mercer to beat the line by 14 points? OK. Doesn't seem consistent, but expectations are variable.

Just one game but Mercer played better than I expected and beat every score predicted on this site. So I think my assessment of week 1 stands.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2017, 09:27 PM
I'm not sure I quite know what that is supposed to mean. Especially since we basically called off the dogs and put in 3rd string everyone with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter when it was 41-0.

Not a slight. Just thought that comparison was interesting. Says more about Furman's offensive day than Mercer's, in my opinion.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2017, 09:30 PM
Weren't you the one who said it would be hard to replace John Russ and that Mercer would struggle? So you expected Mercer to beat the line by 14 points? OK. Doesn't seem consistent, but expectations are variable.

Just one game but Mercer played better than I expected and beat every score on this site. So I think my assessment of week 1 stands.

They will struggle. I just didn't think they'd struggle against Jacksonville.

I've seen enough of these type of games over the years. They are rarely if ever remotely close.

BearDownMU
September 2nd, 2017, 09:32 PM
Not a slight. Just thought that comparison was interesting. Says more about Furman's offensive day than Mercer's, in my opinion.

Does it? I'm assuming Furman played their A personnel at maximum the whole game. I'm not sure what comparing stats from your game against stats from different game where our team was only going full out for 2 1/2 quarters with starters and your team was fighting like heck to win a conference game is relevant in any way. But if that's how you want to do the math, have at it.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2017, 09:43 PM
Does it? I'm assuming Furman played their A personnel at maximum the whole game. I'm not sure what comparing stats from your game against stats from different game where our team was only going full out for 2 1/2 quarters with starters and your team was fighting like heck to win a conference game is relevant in any way. But if that's how you want to do the math, have at it.

Comparing stats and games is all we do on here.

By the way, Alabama is terrifying. Best of luck in that one.

longtimemocfan
September 2nd, 2017, 09:45 PM
Week 1 SoCon Assessment

UTC - Worse than expected with 31-17 loss to JSU

Agree? Disagree?

Not that it matters JSU, Chattanooga score was 27-13. Agree with your analysis.

BearDownMU
September 2nd, 2017, 09:55 PM

Only goal in that one is make sure the check clears. lol

JSUSoutherner
September 2nd, 2017, 09:56 PM

Florida State's ability to hold on to the ball is the only terrifying thing in this game.

OpTimeGuy
September 2nd, 2017, 09:56 PM
ETSU may have been expected to win...they did, but this DII team out rushed us and we could not contain their quarterback. We can't play like that and win in the SoCon. We looked....I don't know...every play seemed slow to develop. Maybe I was too wet and cold...but it could be a long season for us.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2017, 10:00 PM
Only goal in that one is make sure the check clears. lol

Mercer may not cross the 50.

Toby
September 2nd, 2017, 10:01 PM

Thanks. I'll correct.

JSUSoutherner
September 2nd, 2017, 10:04 PM
Not that it matters, but 7 of UTCs points and 2/3 of their 74 rushing yards were in garbage time against our third string. :D

Toby
September 2nd, 2017, 10:11 PM
Mercer may not cross the 50.

Auburn's defense held GA Southern to 78 total yards, so I think we will see if we can cross the 50 yard line with them first. :)

Toby
September 2nd, 2017, 10:13 PM
Not that it matters, but 7 of UTCs points and 2/3 of their 74 rushing yards were in garbage time against our third string. :D

So MUCH worse than expected vs. worse than expected?

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2017, 10:16 PM
During
Auburn's defense held GA Southern to 78 total yards, so I think we will see if we can cross the 50 yard line with them first. :)

Yeah, I don't like scheduling two FBS games, but, if I had to, I don't think I would have scheduled those two teams.

JSUSoutherner
September 2nd, 2017, 10:19 PM
So MUCH worse than expected vs. worse than expected?
Nah. I'm just being giving the UTC folks a hard time.

Once Bennifield and Warren gets back I expect UTC will roll. Their defense is good.

BearDownMU
September 2nd, 2017, 10:56 PM
During

Yeah, I don't like scheduling two FBS games, but, if I had to, I don't think I would have scheduled those two teams.

I don't think two in a season was the intention. I don't have official word, but I think Bama was supposed to be next year and they had to move it. So we had the option to play it this year or not at all. Auburn was already on the books.

As of now, we have another Bama game on the books for 2021

longtimemocfan
September 2nd, 2017, 10:57 PM

Not that it matters, but you have to troll around because your conference has NO posters besides you. :-)

longtimemocfan
September 2nd, 2017, 11:06 PM
Nah. I'm just being giving the UTC folks a hard time.

Once Bennifield and Warren gets back I expect UTC will roll. Their defense is good.

You guys have been terrorizing us for years. Had to ruffle your feathers a little bit. Your boys should run the table again in the OVC.

JSUSoutherner
September 2nd, 2017, 11:30 PM
You guys have been terrorizing us for years. Had to ruffle your feathers a little bit. Your boys should run the table again in the OVC.

Hoping we run the whole table, not just the OVC. xnodx

Not that it matters, but you have to troll around because your conference has NO posters besides you.

I need some company.

ElCid
September 2nd, 2017, 11:58 PM
WCU is giving Hawaii some fits, but not sure they can stay in it. Hawaii is up 7-0 early 2nd, but they are driving again inside 15. WCU was moving the ball earlier. Way too late to stay up and listen.

longtimemocfan
September 3rd, 2017, 12:19 AM
Hoping we run the whole table, not just the OVC. xnodx

I need some company.

You'll get to see what your team is made of against Ga.Tech and Liberty. Lot of talent on both sides of the ball for your boys.

longtimemocfan
September 3rd, 2017, 12:21 AM
WCU still hanging in with 7 minutes to go in half down 14-7.

Smitty
September 3rd, 2017, 12:22 AM
Yep, however we just gave up a 57 yard run... They will keep running and we will tire out soon.