PDA

View Full Version : US Senators ask the NCAA to develop a uniform sexual assault policy

bonarae
August 15th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Although I am not sure if it's going to the Political Board or not, apparently they have seen enough.... it's about time.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/u-s-senators-ask-ncaa-to-develop-a-uniform-policy-on-sexual-assault/

walliver
August 24th, 2017, 02:54 PM
From the article:

"All students," the senators wrote, "deserve the opportunity to obtain a higher education from sexual harassment and violence..."

Did Maxine Waters write this? Or is it just poor proofreading.

I looked it up and CBS left out the phrase "free from".

JayJ79
August 24th, 2017, 08:53 PM
now we just need a uniform sexual assault policy that applies to politicians.
can think of numerous instances involving people from both parties

Bisonoline
August 24th, 2017, 11:50 PM
Why does the NCAA need a policy? Arent our laws-justice system enough?

cx500d
August 25th, 2017, 08:23 PM
Why does the NCAA need a policy? Arent our laws-justice system enough?

How do our US Senators, that can't get anything done themselves, have the time to stick their noses into this?

walliver
August 28th, 2017, 01:13 PM
With the ever-broadening definition of "sexual assault", a lot of very dissimilar situations will be lumped together. There is a very big difference between a statutory rape case where the difference in ages is only a few days from the legal limit and a Steubenville gang rape (otherwise known as a Friday at Baylor).

Also, the proposed rules prohibit accepting a player who is not eligible for readmission to his previous institution. Re-admission rules are very different at different institutions. A student who is not eligible for readmission at a military academy might easily be readmitted at other schools. Furthermore, at many institutions, men can be dismissed from school on allegations of sexual assault without being able to confront or cross-examine their accusers, without legal assistance, and by low standards of evidence.

I'm sure the NCAA will find a way to make a bad situation much worse.