PDA

View Full Version : 9/2: Villanova @ Lehigh

Pages : 1 [2]

RichH2
September 2nd, 2017, 02:20 PM
one of the most frustrating games I can remember. Blown opportunities and no defense
Great play by O'Neal. LU D got a clutch stop. Up to our O now.

HailSzczur
September 2nd, 2017, 02:20 PM
First down, and likely game

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 2nd, 2017, 02:21 PM
Congrats nova. Lehigh cant get over hump. Hawk o really pushed the nova d

HailSzczur
September 2nd, 2017, 02:24 PM
Closer than I would have liked. Lots of dumb mistakes. But hell, I'll take it

- - - Updated - - -

Lol at the math major announcers debating end of game timeouts

HailSzczur
September 2nd, 2017, 02:25 PM
"For the first time this year. Cats Win. Cats Win. Cats Win." -Ryan Fannon

RichH2
one of the most frustrating games I can remember. Blown opportunities and no defense
Oh well I quess not. Nova made more plays than Lehigh. Hell of a game. Our D showed same inconsistency. Some good series but not near enough. Turns out Dom's fumble was the game.
One of those goddamn "good losses" . 38-35 looks OK beat the spread. Ugh. But we lost it on our own. Had the chances just couldnt get over the hump.

caribbeanhen
Gangtackle, you used on of your lives today..

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2017, 02:26 PM
Wild game. Good effort from Lehigh to come back. Hawks still the PL favorite right now, especially if they can clean up some of those drops (which I would expect between games 1 and 2)

Lehigh'98
September 2nd, 2017, 02:29 PM
Oh well I quess not. Nova made more plays than Lehigh. Hell of a game. Our D showed same inconsistency. Some good series but not near enough. Turns out Dom's fumble was the game.
One of those goddamn "good losses" . 38-35 looks OK beat the spread. Ugh. But we lost it on our own. Had the chances just couldnt get over the hump.

This exactly. Good game Nova. Best of luck.

Gangtackle11
September 2nd, 2017, 02:30 PM
Gangtackle, you used on of your lives today..

Closer than it should be, but a bad win is always better than a moral victory.

You should talk 22-3. Lol.

GL to Lehigh the rest of the way.
xpeacex

KPSUL
September 2nd, 2017, 02:33 PM
Very impressed with Lehigh - great effort! Man did I get it wrong in the AGS Preseason Poll, ranking Fordham top 25 over Lehigh and Colgate.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 2nd, 2017, 02:38 PM
Very impressed with Lehigh - great effort! Man did I get it wrong in the AGS Preseason Poll, ranking Fordham top 25 over Lehigh and Colgate.

Nah. Fordham just played a great team. Lehigh would have suffered the same fate.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 2nd, 2017, 02:41 PM
38-35. Question Cane LU not choke at the end of this half like they did at the end of the 1st???? Hope so.
Hell of a game by LU O.

Closer than it should be, but a bad win is always better than a moral victory.

You should talk 22-3. Lol.

GL to Lehigh the rest of the way.
xpeacex

Game was exactly as close as it should have been. Two evenly matched teams.

Temple nova should be fun...

RichH2
September 2nd, 2017, 02:42 PM
Quick stats
Mayes 33/49 406 4TD
Bragalone 82 on 25
Pelletier 11 141 1TD
Christiano 8 143 1 TD
Team
LU 484
Nova 475

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 2nd, 2017, 02:45 PM
38-35. Question Cane LU not choke at the end of this half like they did at the end of the 1st???? Hope so.
Hell of a game by LU O.

Quick stats
Mayes 33/49 406 4TD
Bragalone 82 on 25
Pelletier 11 141 1TD
Christiano 8 143 1 TD
Team
LU 484
Nova 475

Lehigh O definitely got the better of Nova D. Lehigh D still below average it appears. Lehigh a legit top 25 team...

RichH2
September 2nd, 2017, 03:15 PM

Lehigh O definitely got the better of Nova D. Lehigh D still below average it appears. Lehigh a legit top 25 team...
We can hope Sutyak and his players improve from here. Both have to get more comfortable with new scheme and Sutyak with his new job. If Nova D as good as posters here claim, bodes well for us for the season. Mayes toasted their veteran 2ndary.

citdog
September 2nd, 2017, 04:14 PM
Nah. Fordham just played a great team. Lehigh would have suffered the same fate.

Bro seriously quit. There are 5 FCS leagues that hudson high team couldn't finish in the top 3 in.

RichH2
September 2nd, 2017, 04:25 PM

This exactly. Good game Nova. Best of luck.
Andy even more frustrated by lost opportunity. Cites way too many mistakes both by new players and a number of veterans. Notes some veterans just did not play a good game.

PAllen
September 2nd, 2017, 04:38 PM
Andy even more frustrated by lost opportunity. Cites way too many mistakes both by new players and a number of veterans. Notes some veterans just did not play a good game.

And if you can't get your veterans prepped and ready to play a game like this, then you have failed as a coaching staff. I'm sorry, but even the O wasn't clicking as well as it should. Or WRs were picking each other on crossing patterns. Mayes started the game staring down his receivers and took forever to deliver the ball. The offense had no ability to change the play at the line of scrimmage. That is all coaching. I here how great it was that much of the team was on campus this summer working out. Other than lifting weights WTF were they doing?

RichH2
September 2nd, 2017, 04:51 PM

And if you can't get your veterans prepped and ready to play a game like this, then you have failed as a coaching staff. I'm sorry, but even the O wasn't clicking as well as it should. Or WRs were picking each other on crossing patterns. Mayes started the game staring down his receivers and took forever to deliver the ball. The offense had no ability to change the play at the line of scrimmage. That is all coaching. I here how great it was that much of the team was on campus this summer working out. Other than lifting weights WTF were they doing?
A bit over the top. Agree on apparent lack of audibles. Otherwise other than last series of 1st half, O played very well overall. Citing 1 play does not negate how we moved on Nova. Talk about D for bitching and Ill be with you.

Lehigh'98
September 2nd, 2017, 05:09 PM
Pelletier drop an Bragalone fumble probably decided the game. Otherwise offense was pretty good. Defensively I don't even know where to start. Also, Andy should have called for a spot on series they got stuffed on 4&1 on 2nd down. They had it.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 2nd, 2017, 05:45 PM
Bro seriously quit. There are 5 FCS leagues that hudson high team couldn't finish in the top 3 in.

You are defending the honor of Yankees?!

ngineer
September 2nd, 2017, 06:22 PM
Got back a few minutes ago. Was there in Goodman for a tale of two games. Very disappointed with the way the team came out. Just like last year against Monmouth. Mayes appeared nervous, bad footwork effected his throws, held on too long. Then, things seemed to click and the "O" was on its way. Brag's fumble and Troy's drops were killers. Especially the fumble and subsequent return--14 point turnaround. Still, I like the way the team came back in the second half and nearly snatched the victory. Defense will continue to be a project with the new LB's., but 'nova has some excellent weapons with their QB and #20 RB. He is a smooth runner. It is said the real mark of a team is how well they improve from week #1 to week #2. A good solid win at Monmouth and we will be not only OK, but there is no reason they cannot go 10-1 this season. 'nova is the best team we will see this year. Congrats to the Wildcats on a deserved win--excecuted better and made less "critical" mistakes.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2017, 07:43 PM
Lehigh still looks like a very strong club and the class of the Patriot League.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 2nd, 2017, 08:33 PM
Today's game reminded me a lot of the UNH game in 2011. That game told me that Lehigh was among the better teams in the country. Today told me the same thing. I think Lehigh is better than they were last year but the defense is still obviously a concern. Mitchell is simply not a D1 NT/DT imo. Lynn, Cavenas and the secondary are all very promising imo. Somehow, someway they need to figure out a pass rush. The offense is going to be awesome. Hopefully they get another crack at another CAA team not name JMU in the playoffs ala 2011.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 2nd, 2017, 08:34 PM
Lehigh still looks like a very strong club and the class of the Patriot League.

Colgate can stake their claim next week.

Lehigh needs to get things rolling next week. Go out and stomp Monmouth and get the momentum rolling....

Gangtackle11
September 2nd, 2017, 08:36 PM
Got back a few minutes ago. Was there in Goodman for a tale of two games. Very disappointed with the way the team came out. Just like last year against Monmouth. Mayes appeared nervous, bad footwork effected his throws, held on too long. Then, things seemed to click and the "O" was on its way. Brag's fumble and Troy's drops were killers. Especially the fumble and subsequent return--14 point turnaround. Still, I like the way the team came back in the second half and nearly snatched the victory. Defense will continue to be a project with the new LB's., but 'nova has some excellent weapons with their QB and #20 RB. He is a smooth runner. It is said the real mark of a team is how well they improve from week #1 to week #2. A good solid win at Monmouth and we will be not only OK, but there is no reason they cannot go 10-1 this season. 'nova is the best team we will see this year. Congrats to the Wildcats on a deserved win--excecuted better and made less "critical" mistakes.

I'd say good chance you guys will be 10-1 as I don't see anyone on your schedule that will stop your offense. Nova's defense isn't as strong as last year's. It's back 8 are as good as anyone's, but we play 2 true frosh DEs significant time & we struggle to generate a pass rush w/o blitzing more & more.

What was promising today was Nova's offense. Our QB played a solid game & we ran effectively. We never could put Lehigh away as we were up 10-14 a few times.

Lehigh will run the table most likely. Nova will not beat Temple or JMU. They look like they may be more vulnerable to losing a game or 2 that I wouldn't think possible in the preseason.

We'll ourselves lucky & move on to the Temple game where the most realistic goal is to stay healthy for FCS run.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 2nd, 2017, 09:09 PM
I'd say good chance you guys will be 10-1 as I don't see anyone on your schedule that will stop your offense. Nova's defense isn't as strong as last year's. It's back 8 are as good as anyone's, but we play 2 true frosh DEs significant time & we struggle to generate a pass rush w/o blitzing more & more.

What was promising today was Nova's offense. Our QB played a solid game & we ran effectively. We never could put Lehigh away as we were up 10-14 a few times.

Lehigh will run the table most likely. Nova will not beat Temple or JMU. They look like they may be more vulnerable to losing a game or 2 that I wouldn't think possible in the preseason.

We'll ourselves lucky & move on to the Temple game where the most realistic goal is to stay healthy for FCS run.

Lehigh has a better QB and more talented WR's than Temple. Armstead is Brags on steroids (hopefully not literally) so I have to believe we'll pound him for 60 minutes and see what happens. 'Nova will likely try to run at us like ND did. While Forbes and Bell are good they're not nearly as talented as ND's backs. Our defense is far more physical and aggressive than Lehigh's. Plus, we're simply bigger and strong. Given the scores of the CAA vs AAC this game will likely be competitive. Before today I was thinking Temple by 14-17. Now I'm just hoping for a W. This should be pretty interesting....

PAllen
September 2nd, 2017, 09:14 PM
A bit over the top. Agree on apparent lack of audibles. Otherwise other than last series of 1st half, O played very well overall. Citing 1 play does not negate how we moved on Nova. Talk about D for bitching and Ill be with you.

I counted at least 4 times the WRs picked themselves on crossing patterns. Motioning away from a WR screen against a one D is fine if you send him back when the D doesn't respond to it. The entire team seemed a bit flat. Certainly didn't have the edge that the Higgins teams had, but I fear that may be gone for good.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 2nd, 2017, 09:46 PM
I counted at least 4 times the WRs picked themselves on crossing patterns. Motioning away from a WR screen against a one D is fine if you send him back when the D doesn't respond to it. The entire team seemed a bit flat. Certainly didn't have the edge that the Higgins teams had, but I fear that may be gone for good.

Coen is a damn good FCS coach. He's the PL version (CEO type coach) of Mack Brown. Higgins didn't have the greatest success against the CAA/A10 either. Higgins and Lembo's teams absolutely played better defense. What gets me is Coen's first few teams were actually really good on defense but the offenses were terrible. Then the offense got really good in 2011 but the defense started to slip (48 pts to UNH, 38 to Towson). The 2010 team won the league and beat UNI because of the D.

Southsider
September 3rd, 2017, 06:32 AM
First post of the season. Wish it was more positive, but................Coen now 4-8 in openers. The guy just doesn't get 'em ready. Someone mentioned earlier, but O needs to open things up. Brags, Brags, and more Brags. You need some 2 back sets/plays. Mayes also needs to pull it in and go. Could have made a few more plays to keep dries going. The D? Well, we know that story. Lastly, the whole experience at Goodman is really getting stale. The music, the junivile FG kicks, and now trivia by the PA announcer. Downright silly! Will someone please step up and replace the scoreboard!

RichH2
September 3rd, 2017, 07:39 AM
First post of the season. Wish it was more positive, but................Coen now 4-8 in openers. The guy just doesn't get 'em ready. Someone mentioned earlier, but O needs to open things up. Brags, Brags, and more Brags. You need some 2 back sets/plays. Mayes also needs to pull it in and go. Could have made a few more plays to keep dries going. The D? Well, we know that story. Lastly, the whole experience at Goodman is really getting stale. The music, the junivile FG kicks, and now trivia by the PA announcer. Downright silly! Will someone please step up and replace the scoreboard!
Only 5800 and change. Not a great turnout.

RichH2
September 3rd, 2017, 07:52 AM
Meh turnout for the game. LU shows very little initiative in Goodman atmosphere. New scoreboard well overdue. A.marquee matchup and we couldnt draw a better crowd.
D, an ongoing work in progress. 4 yrs and counting.
Good D. I recall coach K. :). He could out scheme most OCs. A magician with devising blitz packages and actually using them in games. For us to be better on D we must be aggressive and attack. Still doing read and react . True we can get burned with attack D but hell we give up big plays now anyway.

CHIP72
September 3rd, 2017, 08:24 AM
Only 5800 and change. Not a great turnout.

I suspect the weather didn't help and Villanova has a very small fanbase.

I'm not one to make a big fuss about gameday enhancements, but even I agree the Goodman Stadium experience needs to be improved at this point. Just because Goodman has an excellent setting doesn't mean Lehigh can't try to enhance it.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2017, 10:36 AM
The Missed Opportunity: Lehigh Falls to Villanova, 38-35, In A Winnable Game

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-missed-opportunity-lehigh-falls-to.html

Gangtackle11
September 3rd, 2017, 10:47 AM
3 takes away from Villanova perspective:

https://www.vuhoops.com/platform/amp/villanova-football/2017/9/3/16248740/villanova-football-lehigh-recap-summary-key-players-moments

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2017, 10:52 AM

https://www.vuhoops.com/platform/amp/villanova-football/2017/9/3/16248740/villanova-football-lehigh-recap-summary-key-players-moments

Pretty good summary. Good luck the rest of the way, and let's meet up again in the playoffs, shall we? :)

PAllen
September 3rd, 2017, 11:05 AM
Meh turnout for the game. LU shows very little initiative in Goodman atmosphere. New scoreboard well overdue. A.marquee matchup and we couldnt draw a better crowd.
D, an ongoing work in progress. 4 yrs and counting.
Good D. I recall coach K. :). He could out scheme most OCs. A magician with devising blitz packages and actually using them in games. For us to be better on D we must be aggressive and attack. Still doing read and react . True we can get burned with attack D but hell we give up big plays now anyway.

Not sure a new scoreboard brings more folks to Goodman. The fact that 5800 showed up when there were 5000+ students sitting on the other side of the mountain is inexcusable. Rather than spend millions on capital improvements to Goodman, I'd rather see that money spent on recruiting and retaining assistant coaches and initiatives to reconnect the student population.

Gangtackle11
September 3rd, 2017, 11:32 AM

Sounds like a plan. We got some stormy weather to battle ahead before I say we get our 7-8 wins and secure a FCS playoff spot.

One at a time. Temple next in the Mayor's Trophy game!

Lehigh'98
September 3rd, 2017, 11:35 AM
Looks like Lehigh is trying to continue the series with Nova speaking briefly to Sterrett. Good news to me, this is a no brainer OOC game.

Gangtackle11
September 3rd, 2017, 12:00 PM
Looks like Lehigh is trying to continue the series with Nova speaking briefly to Sterrett. Good news to me, this is a no brainer OOC game.

I've heard the same from our side. Agreed.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 3rd, 2017, 12:01 PM

Well that record is going to be 4-9 before it gets any better. Lehigh has not backed away in their openers so there's always going to be a chance 0-1. I've watched a lot of football this weekend and the common theme has been slow starts by Top 25 teams. When you don't schedule a cupcake opener you run the risk of losing when things are going to be naturally out of sync.

With that said, next year's Navy game is going to be a joke....

ngineer
September 3rd, 2017, 08:00 PM
I predicted a crowd of about 6,000 last week. Labor Day weekend is like the Saturday after Thanksgiving with first round playoffs. Over half the student body gone for the weekend, a lot of alums still at the shore or the mountains. If this were played a few weeks later, I thing the crowd would have been doubled. I agree a video board would jazz things up and possibly engage the students more. The 'trivia' contests are an attempt to do that with the students with prizes to win. Gotta keep trying different stuff. Some may work, some may not. HOWEVER, speaking of the announcer....talk about opening day blunders. Spent the entire first half calling Sasha Kelsey, "Kelly". The guy is a SENIOR and been around. READ the freakin' program! I agree, his diction is much better than his predecessor...the problem is we can NOW understand what is being said!!
Coen's opening day record is underwater because we frequently schedule up on that date. Without redshirting, PL schools are behind the eight-ball in opening games against FBS and most of FCS. The key is improvement from opener to game two. Coen will be surpassing Leckonby this year should we hold serve the rest of the season. People can nitpick about any coach and I have had my frustrations at times over play calls, etc., however, he is a class person, a good recruiter, demands excellence of his players who have respect for him. He doesn't play favorites or is stuck with 'seniority' but lets the player earn his way onto the field regardless of class. He has also handled the occasional disciplinary issue well, too. I think the great majority of Lehigh's head coaches do a great job representing the University, nationally. With the academic demands of the student-athlete, recruiting and keeping an athlete for 4-5 years and them getting a degree, as well as usually being in the hunt for a championship is not easy. Yet, many of our head coaches have had long tenures, which says a lot.

RichH2
September 4th, 2017, 10:59 AM
I predicted a crowd of about 6,000 last week. Labor Day weekend is like the Saturday after Thanksgiving with first round playoffs. Over half the student body gone for the weekend, a lot of alums still at the shore or the mountains. If this were played a few weeks later, I thing the crowd would have been doubled. I agree a video board would jazz things up and possibly engage the students more. The 'trivia' contests are an attempt to do that with the students with prizes to win. Gotta keep trying different stuff. Some may work, some may not. HOWEVER, speaking of the announcer....talk about opening day blunders. Spent the entire first half calling Sasha Kelsey, "Kelly". The guy is a SENIOR and been around. READ the freakin' program! I agree, his diction is much better than his predecessor...the problem is we can NOW understand what is being said!!
Coen's opening day record is underwater because we frequently schedule up on that date. Without redshirting, PL schools are behind the eight-ball in opening games against FBS and most of FCS. The key is improvement from opener to game two. Coen will be surpassing Leckonby this year should we hold serve the rest of the season. People can nitpick about any coach and I have had my frustrations at times over play calls, etc., however, he is a class person, a good recruiter, demands excellence of his players who have respect for him. He doesn't play favorites or is stuck with 'seniority' but lets the player earn his way onto the field regardless of class. He has also handled the occasional disciplinary issue well, too. I think the great majority of Lehigh's head coaches do a great job representing the University, nationally. With the academic demands of the student-athlete, recruiting and keeping an athlete for 4-5 years and them getting a degree, as well as usually being in the hunt for a championship is not easy. Yet, many of our head coaches have had long tenures, which says a lot.

+1

Gangtackle11
September 4th, 2017, 02:22 PM
http://scout.com/college/villanova/Article/Villanova-Head-Coach-Ferrante-Talks-Lehigh-Temple-106935672

Go Lehigh TU Owl
September 4th, 2017, 11:05 PM
Temple is a 16 pt favorite as of now. That line is ugly.

I sense a little bit of nerves from the Temple fans that actually pay attention to 'Nova football. I think they realize it could be close when they just want a relaxing game after the ND blowout. Odds still heavily favor Temple to win...

I see us winning 37-24'ish....

Go...gate
September 5th, 2017, 01:15 AM
I watched part of the Temple - Notre Dame game and I think you guys have some very good talent. That program has come a hell of a long way. Villanova clearly has a capable team, but Temple wins this one by two scores.

Doc QB
September 6th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Any way to watch a replay of the game? It looks as if the PL Network has a new carrier (stadium something). Doesn't seem to list any archives. Any help?

RichH2
September 6th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Asked Steve. He'll find out.

RichH2
September 6th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Any way to watch a replay of the game? It looks as if the PL Network has a new carrier (stadium something). Doesn't seem to list any archives. Any help?

Doc
Steve tells me Stadium will archive but not yet up and running. Ugh.