PDA

View Full Version : In hindsight, would Carson Wentz or Dak Prescott be the No. 1 pick in the 2016 draft?

BisonBacker
August 8th, 2017, 11:42 AM
It is always risky mortgaging the future of an NFL franchise for a draft pick, but that is exactly what the Eagles did before the 2016 draft when they bet the house on the No. 2 overall pick Carson Wentz.
The risk was high, and the reward is playing out.
If there were a reset button for the 2016 NFL Draft, where would Wentz go? Would he be taken before or after Cowboys QB Dak Prescott?

More at the link below.....
http://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/07/in-hindsight-would-carson-wentz-or-dak-prescott-be-the-no-1-pick-in-the-2016-draft/

NHwildEcat
August 8th, 2017, 02:38 PM
I know this is just a fun exercise, but I'd say it is far too early to tell. Based on one season, Dak was better. Certainly doesn't mean it will play out that way- they both show signs of long term success so time will tell.

Should be fun to watch!

TheRevSFA
August 8th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Dak also had a much better team around him

BisonFan02
August 8th, 2017, 08:53 PM
Dak is the next RGIII

FormerPokeCenter
August 8th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Dak's skills are a LOT further along than RGIII's were...plus his leadership intangibles are off the charts...

TheRevSFA
August 8th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Dak is the next RGIII

RGIII could have been great had Shanahan not destroyed his legs

BisonTru
August 9th, 2017, 12:09 AM
RGIII could have been great had Shanahan not destroyed his legs

Wrong.

RGIII was a dual threat quarterback that Shanahan utilized to his strengths.

RGIII himself with the somewhat forced hands of coaches afterwards tried to make him something he's not.

TheRevSFA
August 9th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Wrong.

RGIII himself with the somewhat forced hands of coaches afterwards tried to make him something he's not.

Wrong. Shanahan played him injured when he shouldn't have. Destroyed his legs and killed the speed threat.

Also, the Eagles suck, so Wentz sucks too by association.

BisonTru
August 9th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Wrong. Shanahan played him injured when he shouldn't have. Destroyed his legs and killed the speed threat.

Also, the Eagles suck, so Wentz sucks too by association.

Wrong. Wentz was a Bison. Once a Bison always a Bison. So he's solid and by association so are the Eagles.

The Cowboys are Mexico's team and their fans have the football equivalent understanding as your average Mexican. :D

If it wasn't for Shanahan and his great rookie season, we'd be talking about RGIII as your draft bust similar to Vince Young and Johnny Manziel.

RGIII was NEVER going to be a pocket passer and Mike and anyone that understands the position knew that.

chattownmocs
August 12th, 2017, 11:06 PM
Carson looked like a man amongst boys the other night.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 13th, 2017, 07:53 AM
Wrong.

Wrong.

Big deal if he was a dual threat. That is not the NFL game for the QB. Consistently running a QB will more times than not will lead to injury.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 13th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Dak also had a much better team around him

This here.

Great OL and a very good running back.

Carson with that supporting cast would have been great also.

BisonTru
August 13th, 2017, 12:30 PM
Wrong.

Big deal if he was a dual threat. That is not the NFL game for the QB. Consistently running a QB will more times than not will lead to injury.

Like every coach since Shanahan has tried with RGIII?

RGIII was never a good pocket passer and never was going to be. Keep blaming Mike but it's on Robert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonBacker
August 14th, 2017, 06:48 AM
I think the truth is somewhat of both regarding RGIII. Trying to run a QB in the NFL consistently as a "dual threat" QB will lead to a shorter career. Top that off with RGIII and his lack of ability to consistently deliver accurate passes was a problem. Even last year when the Browns tried to use him against the Eagles you could see his accuracy issues. Play like that injured or not won't keep you in the NFL very long.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 14th, 2017, 06:49 AM
Like every coach since Shanahan has tried with RGIII?

RGIII was never a good pocket passer and never was going to be. Keep blaming Mike but it's on Robert.

Wrong again.

RGIII was a very good pocket passer in college. Great, probably not but calling him "never a good pocket passer" is bunk.

At Baylor:

Junior year - 3501 yards 22 TDs - 8 INTs
Senior year - 4293 yards 37 TDs - 6 INTs

He was a very good runner also. I'm sure the Redskins thought he would make a very good pocket passer and his first 2 years were not too bad there. "utilizing strengths" as you said might work as a gimmick for awhile in the NFL but the speed of defenses will eventually put any QB out of the game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 14th, 2017, 06:50 AM
I think the truth is somewhat of both regarding RGIII. Trying to run a QB in the NFL consistently as a "dual threat" QB will lead to a shorter career. Top that off with RGIII and his lack of ability to consistently deliver accurate passes was a problem. Even last year when the Browns tried to use him against the Eagles you could see his accuracy issues. Play like that injured or not won't keep you in the NFL very long.

Ya, a career that ended to quickly. He was a talent at one time.

TheRevSFA
August 14th, 2017, 07:59 AM
The eagles still suck

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 14th, 2017, 10:17 PM
The eagles still suck

Just wait, you'll be a fan in no time.

BisonTru
August 14th, 2017, 10:23 PM
The eagles still suck

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/86/23/64/862364102b441bb426da41a0ab17af78--what-if-what-to-do-when.jpg

BisonTru
August 14th, 2017, 10:25 PM
Wrong again.

RGIII was a very good pocket passer in college. Great, probably not but calling him "never a good pocket passer" is bunk.

At Baylor:

Junior year - 3501 yards 22 TDs - 8 INTs
Senior year - 4293 yards 37 TDs - 6 INTs

He was a very good runner also. I'm sure the Redskins thought he would make a very good pocket passer and his first 2 years were not too bad there. "utilizing strengths" as you said might work as a gimmick for awhile in the NFL but the speed of defenses will eventually put any QB out of the game.

What was the reason in your mind why every coach and organization since Mike Shanahan could not develop RGIII into a decent pocket passer despite all of them trying?

Are you blaming all of that on being banged up his first year?

TheRevSFA
August 14th, 2017, 10:28 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/86/23/64/862364102b441bb426da41a0ab17af78--what-if-what-to-do-when.jpg

this would be great had it been actually brought up.

Thankfully wentz will keep the eagles at a perfect 0 championships

TheRevSFA
August 14th, 2017, 10:29 PM
Just wait, you'll be a fan in no time.

Hate the Philadelphia team just as much as I hate Don Henley's Eagles

cx500d
August 14th, 2017, 10:41 PM
Hate the Philadelphia team just as much as I hate Don Henley's Eagles

I thought it was Glen Frey's eagles.

TheRevSFA
August 14th, 2017, 10:46 PM
I thought it was Glen Frey's eagles.

well, he's dead...

cx500d
August 14th, 2017, 10:47 PM
well, he's dead...

Are you implying there is still a version of the eagles still around? Heresy

TheRevSFA
August 14th, 2017, 10:49 PM
Are you implying there is still a version of the eagles still around? Heresy

xlolx

BisonTru
August 14th, 2017, 10:51 PM
this would be great had it been actually brought up.

Thankfully wentz will keep the eagles at a perfect 0 championships

I'm sure you're all excited that in true Cowboys fashion you've got a new young criminal all star. Give it time. This thread will be a good laugh in 15 years. Wentz>>>Dak. :Dxthumbsupx

cx500d
August 14th, 2017, 10:51 PM
I'm sure you're all excited that in true Cowboys fashion you've got a new young criminal all star. Give it time. This thread will be a good laugh in 15 years. Wentz>>>Dak. :Dxthumbsupx

Who?

TheRevSFA
August 14th, 2017, 10:55 PM

You guys gonna throw snowballs at Santa again this year?

Hate to break it to you, but I agree with the NFL suspension. Shocking, I know. But, when Dallas meets philly on Nov 19, Zeke will be back

TheRevSFA
August 14th, 2017, 10:58 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25825&stc=1

BisonTru
August 14th, 2017, 11:00 PM

Hate to break it to you, but I agree with the NFL suspension. Shocking, I know. But, when Dallas meets philly on Nov 19, Zeke will be back

Santa was drunk. It was a tactical move to keep him in a somewhat straight line.

I hope Zeke is back. Let Fletcher Cox have his day with belly boy.

BisonTru
August 14th, 2017, 11:02 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c3/51/97/c3519766e6310023c1e9e99d9df9f99d--nfl-jokes-nfl-dallas-cowboys.jpg

POD Knows
August 15th, 2017, 08:20 AM

Hate to break it to you, but I agree with the NFL suspension. Shocking, I know. But, when Dallas meets philly on Nov 19, Zeke will be backHe will weigh 300 lbs by then, it already looks like he put on some tonage in the off season. He is starting to look like Lacy did for the Packers. I could run through the hole the Dallas O line opens up.

POD Knows
August 15th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Santa was drunk. It was a tactical move to keep him in a somewhat straight line.

I hope Zeke is back. Let Fletcher Cox have his day with belly boy.You noticed that too, it looks like this guy gained 30 lbs in the off season.

TheRevSFA
August 15th, 2017, 09:39 AM
You noticed that too, it looks like this guy gained 30 lbs in the off season.

Hes got 6 weeks to work it off. I'd hate to see him pull a Lacy though

Bisonator
August 15th, 2017, 11:14 AM

He can meet https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/7TbJbysl8Zf7N9StBbRqtiWolYc=/0x0:900x1200/1200x800/filters:focal(378x528:522x672)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/54608847/C_7pi_2XgAEpXsq.0.jpg

BisonTru
August 15th, 2017, 12:57 PM
You noticed that too, it looks like this guy gained 30 lbs in the off season.

I guess I was more referring to his obsession with showing off his belly. The only other group of guys I've seen do that weren't interested in women. It's fitting for Cowboy nation, tho. xthumbsupx

POD Knows
August 15th, 2017, 02:49 PM
I guess I was more referring to his obsession with showing off his belly. The only other group of guys I've seen do that weren't interested in women. It's fitting for Cowboy nation, tho. xthumbsupxLOL, yea, I agree 100% and this Zeke guy has more girth to show off this year. He is fat as **** or at least he was in the highlight reel I saw.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 15th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Carson has a decent/good supporting cast this here. I think he'll really take off this year.

POD Knows
August 15th, 2017, 08:30 PM
Carson has a decent/good supporting cast this here. I think he'll really take off this year.Did you see what a sieve that O line was against G Bay?

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 16th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Did you see what a sieve that O line was against G Bay?

It better improve for sure.

Bisonator
August 17th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Did you see what a sieve that O line was against G Bay?
On a side note what kind of douche bag is McCarthy to blitz every fricking down in the first preseason game?xsmhx

NHwildEcat
August 17th, 2017, 11:47 AM
Carson has a decent/good supporting cast this here. I think he'll really take off this year.

Yeah, they might flirt with the Redskins for 3rd place...exciting times in Philly.

TheRevSFA
August 17th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Yeah, they might flirt with the Redskins for 3rd place...exciting times in Philly.

xnodx

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 17th, 2017, 07:06 PM

They win the East this year!

TheRevSFA
August 17th, 2017, 07:22 PM
They win the East this year!

Friendly wager?

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 17th, 2017, 08:11 PM
Friendly wager?

Bring it!!

Wager?

cx500d
August 17th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Let me guess, quart of oil vs quart of honey?

TheRevSFA
August 17th, 2017, 09:01 PM
Let me guess, quart of oil vs quart of honey?

Actually I should just send him some rotella as a thank you.

TheRevSFA
August 17th, 2017, 09:01 PM
Bring it!!

Wager?

something fun for here. Avatar? Signature?

cx500d
August 17th, 2017, 09:03 PM
Actually I should just send him some rotella as a thank you.

Yeah, the honey is worth more than nutella.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 17th, 2017, 09:04 PM
something fun for here. Avatar? Signature?

Sure. Or loser donates to AGS.

TheRevSFA
August 17th, 2017, 09:04 PM
Yeah, the honey is worth more than nutella.

BFNM what kind of car/truck are you rolling in these days?

TheRevSFA
August 17th, 2017, 09:07 PM
Sure. Or loser donates to AGS.

Maybe instead of AGS, we donate to St Jude's Children's Hospital in memory of UAH's dad.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 17th, 2017, 09:19 PM
Maybe instead of AGS, we donate to St Jude's Children's Hospital in memory of UAH's dad.

That's a good one!

Is $100 good?

TheRevSFA
August 17th, 2017, 10:45 PM
That's a good one!

Is $100 good?

If the eagles finish higher than the cowboys, in regular season standings, I shall donate 100 dollars

if the cowboys finish higher than the eagles, in regular season standings, you shall donate 100 dollars

just wanted to lay out terms of bet and I gladly accept my part

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 18th, 2017, 05:34 AM
If the eagles finish higher than the cowboys, in regular season standings, I shall donate 100 dollars

if the cowboys finish higher than the eagles, in regular season standings, you shall donate 100 dollars

just wanted to lay out terms of bet and I gladly accept my part

Sounds good, I accept!!

Win/win!!

Rjones61
August 26th, 2017, 06:36 PM
100% Carson. He looks more like a young Aarons Rodgers every day.

BisonFan02
September 20th, 2017, 06:23 PM
https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/9/20/16338602/eagles-carson-wentz-quarterback-disconnect-philadelphia-nfl-draft-2017-film-room-study-franchise

This made me giggle. #drafttwitter

CHIP72
September 22nd, 2017, 09:55 AM
To answer the thread title, neither.

So far in his career, Carson Wentz has the makings of being a somewhat better than average but not great/very good NFL quarterback. That's not good enough for a #2 overall pick. We'll see if that trend continues.

BisonBacker
September 22nd, 2017, 10:32 AM

So far in his career, Carson Wentz has the makings of being a somewhat better than average but not great/very good NFL quarterback. That's not good enough for a #2 overall pick. We'll see if that trend continues.

So in 18 games you can predict this? Wow

Da Bison
September 26th, 2017, 10:31 PM

So far in his career, Carson Wentz has the makings of being a somewhat better than average but not great/very good NFL quarterback. That's not good enough for a #2 overall pick. We'll see if that trend continues.Emory, is that you?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BisonBacker
September 27th, 2017, 12:03 PM
Emory, is that you?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Clearly on the same level as Emory xlolx

Professor Chaos
September 27th, 2017, 12:11 PM

Well, to be fair he did say "so far" and "we'll see if that trend continues".

But I'd challenge you to show me a QB who is now considered great/very good that had a better first year and 3 games than Wentz has had. You're not going to find much. He obviously has a lot of improving to do still but I think his trajectory compares favorably with some of the greats. The toughest part is keeping up with that trajectory though.

BisonBacker
September 27th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Well, to be fair he did say "so far" and "we'll see if that trend continues".

But I'd challenge you to show me a QB who is now considered great/very good that had a better first year and 3 games than Wentz has had. You're not going to find much. He obviously has a lot of improving to do still but I think his trajectory compares favorably with some of the greats. The toughest part is keeping up with that trajectory though.

Once he starts to complete some of those deep balls to Alshon or Torrey all this talk will disappear and people will be talking about where in the top 10 or top 5 QB's in the league does he fit in.

BisonTru
September 27th, 2017, 10:14 PM
Wentz was asked about this upcoming week playing in a soccer stadium and the effect that might have.

He responded, with I have played in a soccer stadium 5 years in a row in the national championship game in college. I have fond memories of soccer stadiums.

BisonBacker
October 2nd, 2017, 04:38 PM
This is what sets Carson apart from any of the other rookies or young QB's from his class in my opinion. I'd say in the last 3-4 years classes for that matter.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/250598/carson-wentz-showing-rare-command-early-in-eagles-career