PDA

View Full Version : MU to CAA speculation

Dave195
August 8th, 2017, 07:39 AM
I would prefer that Monmouth go to CAA as football-only member. MAAC seems like a better fit for basketball. Travel would be better for all other sports as well. Many of the northern teams are CAA associate members such as Albany, Maine, New Hampshire, and Stony Brook.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/college/monmouth-university/2017/08/08/monmouth-must-bolt-big-south/547409001/

RootinFerDukes
August 8th, 2017, 07:46 AM
I hope it's after we're long gone. With that being said, I fully anticipate Monmouth being the program that'll replace us.

JMU needs to be long gone.... please. The league has already been watered down enough by losing ODU and UMass and replacing them with Stony Brook, Albany and Elon.

DFW HOYA
August 8th, 2017, 07:49 AM
No mention of the Patriot League.

This calls to mind Rev. John Brooks' observation: "We have set a model for others to follow. So far, no one has followed."

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 8th, 2017, 07:54 AM
No way can they compete in the CAA with their facilities imo. Even the "new" one...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 8th, 2017, 08:34 AM
I hope it's after we're long gone. With that being said, I fully anticipate Monmouth being the program that'll replace us.

JMU needs to be long gone.... please. The league has already been watered down enough by losing ODU and UMass and replacing them with Stony Brook, Albany and Elon.

If you move up the league you'll be joining will likely be far more "watered down" relative to the rest of FBS than the CAA would be relative to the rest of FCS with Monmouth.

KPSUL
August 8th, 2017, 08:36 AM

Be careful what you wish for! ODU wasn't in the conference long enough to even miss them. Stony Brook, Albany and Elon are all welcome additions to CAA football - Quality schools that are a good long term fit for FCS football and the conference.

If JMU ever does leave adding Monmouth would make for a natural two division, north and south, conference by drawing the line between Monmouth and Philadelphia.

Professor Chaos
August 8th, 2017, 08:37 AM

I thought JMU had no intention of moving up and the one comment by a former AD about their interest being real was him "going rogue"?

RootinFerDukes
August 8th, 2017, 08:55 AM
I thought JMU had no intention of moving up and the one comment by a former AD about their interest being real was him "going rogue"?

It was him going rogue in 2011. Now they're saying, "if it's a right fit", which we suppose is anything other than the sun belt (which they actively turned down). They're holding out for the mythical unicorn that is a new east coast G5 conference consisting of SBC and CUSA teams in the east that are tired of sending their tennis teams to Texas.

PaladinNation
August 8th, 2017, 09:04 AM
It was him going rogue in 2011. Now they're saying, "if it's a right fit", which we suppose is anything other than the sun belt (which they actively turned down). They're holding out for the mythical unicorn that is a new east coast G5 conference consisting of SBC and CUSA teams in the east that are tired of sending their tennis teams to Texas.

It will never happen but I wish Furman would leave the SoCon for the CAA. I'd even be ok if we took The Citadel as our schedule buddy.

Little Stevie
August 8th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Monmouth certainly appears to be a program with ambition and sincere expectations.

Laker
August 8th, 2017, 09:32 AM

I'm still wondering why James Madison didn't go FBS instead of CCU. If that is why they turned down the Sunbelt they may have to wait a while until those TV contracts run out. And by then they might not want to make the move.

RootinFerDukes
August 8th, 2017, 09:51 AM
I'm still wondering why James Madison didn't go FBS instead of CCU. If that is why they turned down the Sunbelt they may have to wait a while until those TV contracts run out. And by then they might not want to make the move.

This pretty much sums up what is and will happen. We're CAA4LYFE. Sorry Monmouth. You'll have to petition to join while we're still in the CAA. Maybe Rhode Island will move up first. It wouldn't surprise me at this point.

DirtyDukes
August 8th, 2017, 10:01 AM
This pretty much sums up what is and will happen. We're CAA4LYFE. Sorry Monmouth. You'll have to petition to join while we're still in the CAA. Maybe Rhode Island will move up first. It wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Chin up, buddy.

Personally I'm okay with FCS until FBS makes sense. I know we wanted to go CUSA (and would have if Marshall hadn't blocked it - that's why our AD said what he did then it didn't pan out, he had just had CUSA officials on campus and they were high on us), but SunBelt doesn't make financial sense. We'd be fiscally irresponsible to ship all our teams to that many away games so far away.

Also, I enjoy having regional rivals. I work with a lot of Spatters/Nerds/Chickens and even a Villanofun grad. I enjoy being able to go to those away games. Do I want more for JMU? Sure, but I also know ODU admin are worried about the money side of things, especially now the CUSA TV money is gone.

PAllen
August 8th, 2017, 10:49 AM

You also lost Northeastern and Hofstra, so....

Thumper 76
August 8th, 2017, 11:06 AM

Really? You're counting ODU? Weren't they in the CAA all of maybe ten minutes? xlolx Realistically the CAA has lost one strong program in UMass and the "watering down" has been largely due to the rapid decline of UD.

You also lost Northeastern and Hofstra, so....

Right? I don't understand what his argument really is since Albany has been squirting themselves pretty well and so has Stony Brook. Both seem to be upgrades over Northeastern and Hofstra in level of play. Maybe I'm way off though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

citdog
August 8th, 2017, 11:18 AM
If you move up the league you'll be joining will likely be far more "watered down" relative to the rest of FBS than the CAA would be relative to the rest of FCS with Monmouth.

Now you are coming around.

dgtw
August 8th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Strange the CAA has more associate football members than they do full member football schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenGlasses
August 8th, 2017, 11:24 AM
I would prefer that Monmouth go to CAA as football-only member. MAAC seems like a better fit for basketball. Travel would be better for all other sports as well. Many of the northern teams are CAA associate members such as Albany, Maine, New Hampshire, and Stony Brook.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/college/monmouth-university/2017/08/08/monmouth-must-bolt-big-south/547409001/

Personally I don't see the CAA as a good fit for Monmouth. The smallest stadium in the CAA belongs to Rhode Island at 6,580 seats and tell me again how they do. The city or township has aldy told the university they can't build anything bigger than 4K. What makes anyone think in the future they will change their mind on that.

They're holding out for the mythical unicorn that is a new east coast G5 conference consisting of SBC and CUSA teams in the east that are tired of sending their tennis teams to Texas.

That conference is never going to come. Not unless there is a huge shake up in the landscape of college athletics. And as I can see future movement it won't be earth shattering.

It will never happen but I wish Furman would leave the SoCon for the CAA. I'd even be ok if we took The Citadel as our schedule buddy.

Furman like The Cit, Western, UTC and ETSU is so entrenched in the SoCon I don't think anyone will move in our lifetime.

I know we wanted to go CUSA (and would have if Marshall hadn't blocked it - that's why our AD said what he did then it didn't pan out, he had just had CUSA officials on campus and they were high on us), but SunBelt doesn't make financial sense. We'd be fiscally irresponsible to ship all our teams to that many away games so far away.

I see you have been reading to much Harry Minium. When the last realignment started, CUSA offered ODU, JMU and Delaware a spot in CUSA as a package deal at the 2012 "Final Four". Both Delaware and JMU turned the offer down flat. When Wood Seling got back to Norfolk the 1st thing he done when he got in his office was to call Britton Banowsky, the CUSA commih at the time and expressed interest in wanting to join. After that then UTSA and WKU were added as the last 2 members. Marshall with Dr Kopp, Marshall's president at the time and AD Mike Hamrick are the two that pushed the most for the 3 of ODU, Delaware and JMU as a package. So why would they then do a 180 in a matter of a week or two and block the Dukes.

UAalum72
August 8th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Strange the CAA has more associate football members than they do full member football schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalka result of a
60+ year history starting as the football-only Yankee Conference, expanding by adding Colonial schools (among others), control passing to the A-10 and then the CAA. Another factor is America East refusing to sponsor FB, the demise of MAAC FB, and the NEC and the Patriot until until recently being non- or limited-scholarship and not really in the same peer group as the Albany and Stony Brook.
group

dunbar
August 8th, 2017, 05:19 PM
The Yankee Conference was an all-sports league in the first 30 years of it's existence. America East (back around the name change from the NAC) had seven football playing schools in 1997 when the Atlantic Ten took over the Yankee Conference. Even though Towson and Hofstra weren't in the YC/A10 yet, the missed opportunity to take over the league is a major blunder twenty years later. If that had happened, then the CAA/AE merger probably would've gone through around 2001.

JayMYou
August 8th, 2017, 07:22 PM
ODU was CAA for over 20 years, they started football and moved to FBS quicker than our admin takes to negotiate a home and home with Norfolk State. Point being that though the CAA is a great East Coast FCS conference, we outgrew FCS years ago. Not many 20k public schools in our area still in FCS. Just about all of our "peers" have moved on, and one that has straggled just cleaned house and hired a coach that will probably take them there.

I grew up in NJ and for me to see (what was/is) a tiny school like Monmouth College now be even contemplated for the CAA shows the direction our president prefers... small northeast private schools. But I guess we shouldn't expect anything less for a guy who went to Swarthmore and Harvard.

NorthChuckSouth
August 8th, 2017, 08:50 PM
No way can they compete in the CAA with their facilities imo. Even the "new" one...

​Facilities don't win football games!!!!

NorthChuckSouth
August 8th, 2017, 08:53 PM
I've never really understood Monmouth in the Big South.. closest game was liberty and now the closest would be GWU.. That's a lot of travel.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 8th, 2017, 11:23 PM
The Yankee Conference was an all-sports league in the first 30 years of it's existence. America East (back around the name change from the NAC) had seven football playing schools in 1997 when the Atlantic Ten took over the Yankee Conference. Even though Towson and Hofstra weren't in the YC/A10 yet, the missed opportunity to take over the league is a major blunder twenty years later. If that had happened, then the CAA/AE merger probably would've gone through around 2001.

The Yankee Conference was a legit conference until UMass, URI and UConn wanted to make sure they were in Division I in hoops. With the D-I/D-II split coming in 1977, they wanted to be on the correct side of that divide. On the other side of that coin was Vermont (who abandoned football during the D-I split) and BU (whose president at that time, John Silber, was in the early stages of trying to kill his football team). Ultimately the differences between all the schools became to great, and it morphed into a football-only conference that played at the D-II and eventually the I-AA level.

Pretty much for its entire existence the Yankee Conference was united by institutional similarity (Northeast land-grand schools + BU) and not a heck of a lot else. Many folks think that CAA/AE merger would have happened had the CAA taken it over, and there were talks about it at the time, but I'm not convinced it was imminent or anything. The reason is that the Yankee Conference never really was stable, and even if it had happened serious tensions would have remained.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 8th, 2017, 11:30 PM
I've never really understood Monmouth in the Big South.. closest game was liberty and now the closest would be GWU.. That's a lot of travel.

When Monmouth was kicked out of the NEC in football, they needed a conference home with a decent shot at the playoffs, and the CAA (facilities) and the Patriot League (snootiness? slowness?) didn't let them in. So the Big South was their destination until they could find a home. Have always thought that Monmouth should be in the Patriot League in football. The Patriot League needs an 8th (and 9th) team, and if they are OK with the AI, the Patriot League should be trying to have them join.

This takes on added importance because BU and Loyola haven't started their football programs yet.

Go...gate
August 9th, 2017, 01:04 AM
When Monmouth was kicked out of the NEC in football, they needed a conference home with a decent shot at the playoffs, and the CAA (facilities) and the Patriot League (snootiness? slowness?) didn't let them in. So the Big South was their destination until they could find a home. Have always thought that Monmouth should be in the Patriot League in football. The Patriot League needs an 8th (and 9th) team, and if they are OK with the AI, the Patriot League should be trying to have them join.

This takes on added importance because BU and Loyola haven't started their football programs yet.

I think it is a long shot that either Loyola will start football or BU will reinstate football.

IMO, Monmouth to the CAA is a major step up. However, in a great many ways, Monmouth is a school on the rise.

citdog
August 9th, 2017, 01:06 AM

The patsy league is the fat chick with genital warts that nobody wants to take home.

UNHWildcat18
August 9th, 2017, 02:47 AM
Any new CAA school needs a capacity of 8k, it's what they told Albany. We have recognizable schools in terms of FCS and good sized stadiums in terms of FCS, we aren't looking to downgrade in either aspect. Not to disrespect Monmouth but they just aren't a fit.

DFW HOYA
August 9th, 2017, 06:13 AM
Any new CAA school needs a capacity of 8k, it's what they told Albany. We have recognizable schools in terms of FCS and good sized stadiums in terms of FCS, we aren't looking to downgrade in either aspect. Not to disrespect Monmouth but they just aren't a fit.

That having been said, who are the candidates in the footprint with that size stadium?

Sitting Bull
August 9th, 2017, 06:27 AM
Monmouth is a great fit for the CAA in location. They are not ready - yet - in terms of name recognition or facilities. They are a school on the rise though.

The CAA really doesn't need a new member at the moment. We have 12 for football and 10 for all sports. When and if the time comes, there will be several to pick from.

PAllen
August 9th, 2017, 09:10 AM
Monmouth is a great fit for the CAA in location. They are not ready - yet - in terms of name recognition or facilities. They are a school on the rise though.

The CAA really doesn't need a new member at the moment. We have 12 for football and 10 for all sports. When and if the time comes, there will be several to pick from.

Start the rumors now: Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Colgate and Holy Cross abandon the PL and join UNH, UD, Villanova, Richmond and William & Mary in a revamped CAA.

One can dream.

caribbeanhen
August 9th, 2017, 09:29 AM
Well at least Monmouth is close to the Jersey shore.... I thought that might be a good thing but then I stopped by Asbury Park, a bit of a let down as the water was grey, no palm trees and don't dare try to walk on the beach with a cold cerveza and your wallet so you can pay the $5 bucks.... back to the Isla for me....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 9th, 2017, 09:32 AM
This might be an unpopular belief but I feel like Monmouth is type of the school being held back a little bit by football. Given their location and facilities, I think they'd be a perfect fit for the A10 in basketball. I know Richmond, Fordham, URI, Dayton and Davidson are able to make it work but Monmouth really seems to want an all-sport membership. As a result their options seem far more limited.

RootinFerDukes
August 9th, 2017, 09:35 AM
Well at least Monmouth is close to the Jersey shore.... I thought that might be a good thing but then I stopped by Asbury Park, a bit of a let down as the water was grey, no palm trees and don't dare try to walk on the beach with a cold cerveza and your wallet so you can pay the $5 bucks.... back to the Isla for me....

Didn't you hear? Only governors are allowed on the Jersey Shore now. Everyone else can go f themselves.

caribbeanhen
August 9th, 2017, 09:43 AM
Didn't you hear? Only governors are allowed on the Jersey Shore now. Everyone else can go f themselves.

funny, Yea I saw his fat azz on the beach.... thought it was a marine mammal sighting, he should be begging people to stay in that over taxed rip off state instead he closes the playa....

UNHWildcat18
August 9th, 2017, 10:23 AM
That having been said, who are the candidates in the footprint with that size stadium?

No one IMO, I don't think there's a single team left in the geographical area that I would add to the CAA if JMU left, no NEC or PL school, no big south school including MU and not YSU. I'd take ODU back if JMU left or UMASS back if URI ditched for some reason. Both of those won't happen though.

Sitting Bull
August 9th, 2017, 01:47 PM
No one IMO, I don't think there's a single team left in the geographical area that I would add to the CAA if JMU left, no NEC or PL school, no big south school including MU and not YSU. I'd take ODU back if JMU left or UMASS back if URI ditched for some reason. Both of those won't happen though.

I'm not implying they would join - though I think Lehigh, Fordham, VMI could all be on that list.

Or, just stick at 11. There's no pain in that. Everyone acts like there would have to be a replacement.

PAllen
August 9th, 2017, 01:55 PM
I'm not implying they would join - though I think Lehigh, Fordham, VMI could all be on that list.

Or, just stick at 11. There's no pain in that. Everyone acts like there would have to be a replacement.

We're not going anywhere without that crappy school down the river, so we do have some baggage that comes with us.

GreenGlasses
August 9th, 2017, 01:58 PM

Yeah for Austin Peay... They never get anything xhurrayx

KPSUL
August 9th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Yeah for Austin Peay... They never get anything xhurrayx

This thing might just turn things around for college football in Clarksville, TN. Free access to all New Jersey State beaches for Austin Peay players!

RootinFerDukes
August 9th, 2017, 02:16 PM
This thing might just turn things around for college football in Clarksville, TN. Free access to all New Jersey State beaches for Austin Peay players!

Just don't try to cross into NJ via the George Washington Bridge.

Dane96
August 9th, 2017, 09:23 PM

More importantly, and with due respect to Dave...nothing in that article even mentions of ANY SPECULATION, whatsoever, of Monmouth to the CAA from anyone other than the author.

NorthChuckSouth
August 9th, 2017, 09:28 PM
I will say the stadium looks 30 times better than before. I hated playing up there.. the visiting team lockerroom is in the basement of an old gym.

Go...gate
August 9th, 2017, 11:59 PM
OK, I'll say it. Should the Patriot League consider Monmouth as an Associate Member for Football?

PAllen
August 10th, 2017, 12:36 AM
OK, I'll say it. Should the Patriot League consider Monmouth as an Associate Member for Football?

Only if we can do a swap with the CAA: Towson, URI, JMU, Maine for Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate, HC, Bucknell

UNHWildcat18
August 10th, 2017, 03:04 AM
Only if we can do a swap with the CAA: Towson, URI, JMU, Maine for Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate, HC, Bucknell

You really love us huh? UNH would never trade a conference with Towson and JMU for Bucknell and Lafayette.

UNHWildcat18
August 10th, 2017, 03:06 AM

Really wouldn't be a bad move. Private school fits geography, better venue than Georgetown, I'm sure the old fat ****s will go but their academics might make other old fat ****s s****** at us, and hit the decline button. Hope I'm wrong.

PAllen
August 10th, 2017, 10:54 AM
You really love us huh? UNH would never trade a conference with Towson and JMU for Bucknell and Lafayette.

Then you can go with them. Picked you because you have history with the league and are a reasonable travel partner for HC.

kdinva
August 10th, 2017, 11:28 AM
I will say the stadium looks 30 times better than before. I hated playing up there.. the visiting team lockerroom is in the basement of an old gym.

.....with three shower heads, and two nails/player for your clothes...

Sader87
August 10th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I've said this before but I like the PL at 7 for football....I know it causes headaches schedule-wise (both in and OOC) but I like the flexibility it gives to the schedule. I'd rather HC play another Ivy, CAA or FBS school than some random school pigeon-holed into the PL to make it 8 teams.

LUHawker
August 10th, 2017, 08:36 PM
I've said this before but I like the PL at 7 for football....I know it causes headaches schedule-wise (both in and OOC) but I like the flexibility it gives to the schedule. I'd rather HC play another Ivy, CAA or FBS school than some random school pigeon-holed into the PL to make it 8 teams.

Unless it's a school that is a great fit and really brings something to the league, I'm with you. Sadly, I think all the schools that meet that criteria aren't interested. Richmond's aborted effort several years back (due to the outcry of alums) has made the PL "damaged goods" for other schools that might consider it. Now that was before schollies, but I don't think the performance on the field has done enough to cast off the perception of inferiority.

smallcollegefbfan
August 11th, 2017, 06:50 AM

Actually, all of the teams moving up to FBS has caused both divisions to be watered down some but the CAA is far more watered down. At one time CAA fans would be offended if you said they were not the best league and now you can really argue the CAA is the 3rd best FCS league and without JMU is likely 4th or 5th best unless some teams step up. There are players signing in the CAA and SoCon now who would have definitely gone D2 back in the 90s or early 2000s.

JMU can compete in FBS. I fully expect them to translate well like App and Georgia Southern have in the Sun Belt and could possibly win in C-USA or the AAC. While there are about 15 teams in FBS who should drop down to FCS, JMU is one of several FCS teams who should take their places or just move up. JMU would do well.

caribbeanhen
August 11th, 2017, 07:39 AM
CAA is the 4th best Conference? I would like to see you argue your point..

I agree with a lot of what you said though, especially the part about the CAA talent level not what it used to be

RootinFerDukes
August 11th, 2017, 07:45 AM

I agree with a lot of what you said though, especially the part about the CAA talent level not what it used to be

I'm not sure were 4th is coming from. Herosports and Sagarin both have us as #3 behind the MVFC and SoCon. This of course being as of the conclusion of last season.

http://herosports.com/fcs-football (lefthand side)
http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

The CAA is really being drug down by the performance of URI and Elon lately. UD and WM being down and Towson near the bottom all hurt too. If we had a solid OOC performance, scheduled strong and won and started knocking off a healthy amount of FBS conference wide, the ratings would come up. Having the champion in the CAA doesn't hurt either.

TheValleyRaider
August 11th, 2017, 08:30 AM
More importantly, and with due respect to Dave...nothing in that article even mentions of ANY SPECULATION, whatsoever, of Monmouth to the CAA from anyone other than the author.

Yeah, this seems more like a statement of Monmouth's ambition rather than any sort of suggestion that they might actually join the CAA.

Why would the CAA actually be looking at expansion right now?

smallcollegefbfan
August 11th, 2017, 08:32 AM

Meant to say 3rd best now and could drop to 4 or 5. I think there is no question top to bottom the MVFC is the best and then you could argue that the CAA is 3rd due to being weak at the bottom and lacking more than 1 real top 5 team like it use to. I would say the SoCon improved and passed the league as a whole last year with the Big Sky having an argument and I'm sure the SLC would argue they have gotten closer due to the success of SHSU. I would put the CAA behind the MVFC (1 by a mile) and very close to the SoCon. I'm not sure you can say the CAA is a slam dunk top 2 conference anymore and if JMU left it would not be in the top 3-4 most likely. It would just be UNH, Richmond, and Villanova as top teams with Delaware having taken a step back. There was a time when the CAA would have laughed at having Albany and Elon in their league. Shoot, the SoCon use to laugh at Elon a long time ago.

At one time, I would have told you the CAA is the best or at least tied with the SoCon but now the CAA and SoCon have been depleted so talent elsewhere has caught up. NDSU would not like to hear this but I could argue that if those 10 or so teams who transferred up to FBS and those new teams on the east coast had not popped up that they would have likely never won 5 in a row and maybe just 1-2 titles at best. Coming from a pure scouting standpoint the talent in the CAA and SoCon is nowhere near where it once was because of the teams who have left.

Just look at the list of new teams or teams who moved up to FBS since the late 90s. Marshall, Troy, UMASS, Old Dominion, App State, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, UNC Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, and Liberty are all in FBS. Not to mention the fact that ETSU has returned and Kennesaw State has started a program. If you exclude Marshall and Troy and just say the last 12 years or so just multiply 85 scholarships by the rest and you get 680 players who would have been FCS previously that are now in FBS. That is a lot of talent lost.

UIWWildthing
August 11th, 2017, 09:23 AM

Loyola's not doing that in the near future, possibly at all.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
August 11th, 2017, 09:31 AM
The CAA is better than the SoCon by a good amount imo. I don't care what the numbers suggest I'll go wit the eye/resume test. The SoCon hasn't had a current member reach the title game since 2001 (Furman). The CAA has 5 national titles by 4 different teams since then. They also have 2 other appearances (Towson '13, UD '10) by current members. In that time UNH has become the most consistent program in the country. The CAA is far deeper and their teams have proven to have a much higher ceiling than those from the SoCon.

RootinFerDukes
August 11th, 2017, 09:39 AM
The CAA is better than the SoCon by a good amount imo. I don't care what the numbers suggest I'll go wit the eye/resume test. The SoCon hasn't had a current member reach the title game since 2001 (Furman). The CAA has 5 national titles by 4 different teams since then. They also have 2 other appearances (Towson '13, UD '10) by current members. In that time UNH has become the most consistent program in the country. The CAA is far deeper and their teams have proven to have a much higher ceiling than those from the SoCon.

UD also appeared in the 2007 title game, losing to App State for their 3rd in a row. UMass in 2006 also, but if we're only counting current membership then you have to disregard that. UNH with 13 consecutive playoff appearances, although never getting further than the semifinal round any year.

caribbeanhen
August 11th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Meant to say 3rd best now and could drop to 4 or 5. I think there is no question top to bottom the MVFC is the best and then you could argue that the CAA is 3rd due to being weak at the bottom and lacking more than 1 real top 5 team like it use to. I would say the SoCon improved and passed the league as a whole last year with the Big Sky having an argument and I'm sure the SLC would argue they have gotten closer due to the success of SHSU. I would put the CAA behind the MVFC (1 by a mile) and very close to the SoCon. I'm not sure you can say the CAA is a slam dunk top 2 conference anymore and if JMU left it would not be in the top 3-4 most likely. It would just be UNH, Richmond, and Villanova as top teams with Delaware having taken a step back. There was a time when the CAA would have laughed at having Albany and Elon in their league. Shoot, the SoCon use to laugh at Elon a long time ago.

At one time, I would have told you the CAA is the best or at least tied with the SoCon but now the CAA and SoCon have been depleted so talent elsewhere has caught up. NDSU would not like to hear this but I could argue that if those 10 or so teams who transferred up to FBS and those new teams on the east coast had not popped up that they would have likely never won 5 in a row and maybe just 1-2 titles at best. Coming from a pure scouting standpoint the talent in the CAA and SoCon is nowhere near where it once was because of the teams who have left.

Just look at the list of new teams or teams who moved up to FBS since the late 90s. Marshall, Troy, UMASS, Old Dominion, App State, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, UNC Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, and Liberty are all in FBS. Not to mention the fact that ETSU has returned and Kennesaw State has started a program. If you exclude Marshall and Troy and just say the last 12 years or so just multiply 85 scholarships by the rest and you get 680 players who would have been FCS previously that are now in FBS. That is a lot of talent lost.

well I still agree with you on the CAA being down overall on the talent side, but that's about where it ends....
if you want to take out JMU and compare the CAA with other conferences, why not take out North Dakota State when talking about the MFVC

That conference as a whole has never lived up to the hype, just basing that statement on some recent CAA vs MVFC head to head match ups which have all been on the road for the CAA by the way... Richmond handled Illinois State on the road year before last, Nova with a tough defeat on the road to South Dakota State last year in a game against one of the so called powers of FCS....

top to bottom, sure I'll give you the MFVC right now but you sure seem to be underestimating Villanova, UNH, Richmond and even Maine and Stony.... Delaware might surprise you as well

the bottom feeders like Elon and Rhode hurt us in the overall rankings for sure but to say that the Southern Conference is ahead of the CAA right now makes me think Citdog has more than one username...

Go...gate
August 11th, 2017, 07:53 PM

I like it at seven teams, too, but what to do about Georgetown?

PAllen
August 12th, 2017, 12:01 AM
I like it at seven teams, too, but what to do about Georgetown?

Trading Georgetown for Monmouth isn't a good trade.

UNHWildcat18
August 12th, 2017, 01:49 AM
This talk from smallcollege football fan is ****ing hilarious CAA 3rd best to "4th-5th". What are you smoking? JMU beat the field handily last year. Nova had 4 penalties in the second half from the 25-40 yard line of SDSU that killed drives and eventually lost by a FG to a team that shared the MVFC title. Nova had a horrid passing attack compared to other schools in the CAA. Richmond lost 19! people due to injury and still made it to the quarters. To think that that the CAA's top 5 teams last year could be under anyone but say the MVFC top 5 is hilarious. bottom of the conference doesnt mean ****. who cares if missery state or Furman beats URI.

UNHWildcat18
August 12th, 2017, 01:52 AM

Thank you! I'd like to have whatever he is smoking....

Go...gate
August 12th, 2017, 02:16 AM
Trading Georgetown for Monmouth isn't a good trade.

I agree - there is no comparison and I want Georgetown to stay and prosper in our conference. But I would sure like to see GU step up even a little - completed facilities, a few more equivalencies (or a few scholarships), etc.

caribbeanhen
August 12th, 2017, 09:19 AM
This talk from smallcollege football fan is ****ing hilarious CAA 3rd best to "4th-5th". What are you smoking? JMU beat the field handily last year. Nova had 4 penalties in the second half from the 25-40 yard line of SDSU that killed drives and eventually lost by a FG to a team that shared the MVFC title. Nova had a horrid passing attack compared to other schools in the CAA. Richmond lost 19! people due to injury and still made it to the quarters. To think that that the CAA's top 5 teams last year could be under anyone but say the MVFC top 5 is hilarious. bottom of the conference doesnt mean ****. who cares if missery state or Furman beats URI.

yes, this is on point... my response was tempered down a bit..... small college fan showed his hand, and honestly his players to watch list have always been lacking enough CAA players considering how much the CAA wins..

RootinFerDukes
August 12th, 2017, 10:00 AM

Great points. One more thing working against UR too was that Rocco had one foot out the door the entire playoffs.

caribbeanhen
August 12th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Great points. One more thing working against UR too was that Rocco had one foot out the door the entire playoffs.

that became pretty obvious with the E Wash game, must of took a Fedex plane out there.....

Tribe4SF
August 13th, 2017, 06:19 AM

Also had to travel to North Dakota and then turn around and go to Eastern Washington. With severely depleted roster they just ran out of gas.