PDA

View Full Version : Which First Year Coach Will Have The Most Success?

Wildcat1997
July 9th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Which First Year FCS coach will have the most success? Particuarly if they are new to the FCS. I'm very biased but I think it'll be Adam Dorrel at ACU. He's got some great players and the reports coming out are saying that players are really buying in to what the coaching staff is preaching.

cx500d
July 9th, 2017, 05:47 PM
I'm very biased but I think it'll be Adam Dorrel at ACU. He's got some great players and the reports coming out are saying that players are really buying in to what the coaching staff is preaching.

I'm thinking whomever the new coach is at Eastern Washington is going to be way more successful than Dorrel...

JSUSoutherner
July 9th, 2017, 05:55 PM
I'm thinking whomever the new coach is at Eastern Washington is going to be way more successful than Dorrel...
Arth at Chattanooga is probably going to up there on that list too.

Wildcat1997
July 9th, 2017, 06:04 PM
I'm thinking whomever the new coach is at Eastern Washington is going to be way more successful than Dorrel...Dorrel is my pick for coaches new to the FCS. Obviously Eastern Washington will have more success.

Wildcat1997
July 9th, 2017, 06:09 PM
Arth at Chattanooga is probably going to up there on that list too.The question is though can Arth get get adjusted to playing 2 divisions up? Chattanooga can be good but it all depends on how quickly Arth can get used to D1 football.

DFW HOYA
July 9th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Mark Ferrante.

KPSUL
July 9th, 2017, 07:46 PM
Depends on how you define success. Delaware will improve under Danny Rocco, but likely fall short from making the playoffs. It will probably be a bigger accomplishment for Russ Huesman to keep Richmond a solid playoff contender.

ElCid
July 9th, 2017, 07:59 PM
I am thinking Clay Hendrix at Furman has the inside track maybe. He was an assistant there for a long time (19 years). Went off the AF for ten years and now is back as head coach. Furman has been down lately and success is relative (most improved, best record, etc.), but if anyone can turn them around, a former ass't coach and alum "may" have a leg up.

Oh and before Citdog beats me to it....Furman sucks.

JSUSoutherner
July 9th, 2017, 08:20 PM
The question is though can Arth get get adjusted to playing 2 divisions up? Chattanooga can be good but it all depends on how quickly Arth can get used to D1 football.

Is that not a problem common to ALL FIRST YEAR FCS Coaches?

Wildcat1997
July 9th, 2017, 08:48 PM
Is that not a problem common to ALL FIRST YEAR FCS Coaches?Most don't move up directly from 2 divisions down. Most either come from other FCS schools, D2 schools, or FBS schools.

JSUSoutherner
July 9th, 2017, 08:54 PM
Most don't move up directly from 2 divisions down. Most either come from other FCS schools, D2 schools, or FBS schools.
If they are coming from other FCS schools then they aren't First Year FCS Coaches then, are they?

Grass came up from high school and had us in the title game in two seasons as HC and is still undefeated in FCS regular season play so I don't buy the whole "but lower division" thing.

RootinFerDukes
July 9th, 2017, 09:17 PM
I think just within the CAA, VU's coach will be business as usual and remain among the CAA best. UD will see the greatest single year improvement with Danny Rocco at the helm. Elon will be the second most improved first year coach and UR's coach will either break even or be a slight regression, only really due to UR's usual high water mark.

I think that's all of them, right? Four new coaches?

RootinFerDukes
July 9th, 2017, 09:22 PM
Depends on how you define success. Delaware will improve under Danny Rocco, but likely fall short from making the playoffs. It will probably be a bigger accomplishment for Russ Huesman to keep Richmond a solid playoff contender.

It's almost worth doing two sub-categories. Who has the best win total improvement from year to year, and using SOS rating to differentiate in a tiebreaker.
Second, there's likely to be at least one playoff team in the field with a first year coach. If so, whoever gets the furthest is bound to be perceived as the "best overall".

cx500d
July 9th, 2017, 10:04 PM
If they are coming from other FCS schools then they aren't First Year FCS Coaches then, are they?

Grass came up from high school and had us in the title game in two seasons as HC and is still undefeated in FCS regular season play so I don't buy the whole "but lower division" thing.

Yeah that is a good jump but he's not the first. There multiple fbs coaches I remember that were high school coaches here in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chattownmocs
July 10th, 2017, 01:17 AM
But what about the talent level? Chattanooga went 9-4, and despite significant losses, also made significant additions to a roster stacked with 5 years worth of solid recruits that were almost all redshirted. ACU went 2-9.

UNHWildcat18
July 10th, 2017, 04:36 AM
Bryant's head coach James Perry

PaladinFan
July 10th, 2017, 05:04 AM
I am thinking Clay Hendrix at Furman has the inside track maybe. He was an assistant there for a long time (19 years). Went off the AF for ten years and now is back as head coach. Furman has been down lately and success is relative (most improved, best record, etc.), but if anyone can turn them around, a former ass't coach and alum "may" have a leg up.

Oh and before Citdog beats me to it....Furman sucks.

I think Hendrix is going to turn Furman around. I just don't know if it will be this season.

He does inherit a good QB for the offense he wants to run, a pretty good group of linemen, and some electric skill players on offense. However, Furman had some significant attrition this offseason between a large senior class and guys that opted not to endure a culture change with the program. So, I think we will see Furman improve off the malaise of the last few years, but they are going to be playing a lot of young guys.

On the bright side, with such large attrition in year 1, Hendrix has the chance to immediately put his stamp on the program recruiting-wise. This will not be a situation (like his predecessor) where you have to wait 3 or 4 years to get "your guys" in the program.

Wildcat1997
July 10th, 2017, 07:45 AM
But what about the talent level? Chattanooga went 9-4, and despite significant losses, also made significant additions to a roster stacked with 5 years worth of solid recruits that were almost all redshirted. ACU went 2-9.A lot of the players were misused by the past staff at ACU. Trust me when I say that there is way more talent on the team than 2 wins worth. Now that we have a competent coaching staff there will be a pretty good win increase. If we want to define success by wins increase over the previous coach then Dorrel will be the most successful.

Iridebikes
July 10th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Which First Year FCS coach will have the most success? Particuarly if they are new to the FCS. I'm very biased but I think it'll be Adam Dorrel at ACU. He's got some great players and the reports coming out are saying that players are really buying in to what the coaching staff is preaching.

Aaron Best at EWU will have a good opportunity to have a successful year, if wins determine success. That being said there are huge risks as not only was the head coach changed but just about every other coach changed as Beau took some with him to Cal and others were given opportunities to move to FBS elsewhere. So while the cupboard is pretty full with experienced and skilled players, Coach Best will still need to organize a team to instruct and organize the team.

Daytripper
July 10th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Not Lamar's new coach.

walliver
July 10th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Arth at Chatty should do well this year and next. The big question is how well we he adjusts from D3 to FCS recruiting. Huesman left enough talent for the next two years to be good teams.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

CFBfan
July 10th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Garrett thrills Pard fans by beating le high in his 1st year at them helm at Lafayette

BisonTru
July 11th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Richmond's Russ Huesman would be my pick. Rocco already built up the program and we already know how well Huesman did among FCS in Chatty. They should be prime for a deep playoff run.

Aaron Best in inheriting another turn key operation at EWU, but his lack of HC experience gives me a little pause.

ASU33
July 11th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Russ Huesman of Richmond, or Aaron Best out at EWU.

phoenix3
July 11th, 2017, 02:17 PM
I think just within the CAA, VU's coach will be business as usual and remain among the CAA best. UD will see the greatest single year improvement with Danny Rocco at the helm. Elon will be the second most improved first year coach and UR's coach will either break even or be a slight regression, only really due to UR's usual high water mark.

I think that's all of them, right? Four new coaches?

Yep. It all depends upon how you define success. If it's wins, I think Huseman has the inside track. If it's most improved, it could easily be Cignetti.

In the CAA that is.

RootinFerDukes
July 12th, 2017, 06:41 AM
Yep. It all depends upon how you define success. If it's wins, I think Huseman has the inside track. If it's most improved, it could easily be Cignetti.

In the CAA that is.

I would define it as best win total from year to year. I do think Rocco at UD will obtain more wins than Cignetti at Elon though. Elon is a much more substantial rebuild than Delaware.

Milktruck74
July 12th, 2017, 08:03 AM

As much as it pains me to agree with Southerner about anything.....on this he is right!!!! D3 coaching and FCS coaching (or even HS coaching) is Xs and Os, motivating players, and assessing and plugging in talent. (Recruiting isa bit different, butin the end it is just sales!). THe big difference in D3 and FCS is Size and speed. Linemen are 25# heavier and everyone is a half step quicker. That said, EVERY Opposing team has the same issues....The game doesn't change. If it were different, why would we hear about college coaches blowing up the HS ranks when they drop down?

OL FU
July 12th, 2017, 08:08 AM
I think Hendrix is going to turn Furman around. I just don't know if it will be this season.

He does inherit a good QB for the offense he wants to run, a pretty good group of linemen, and some electric skill players on offense. However, Furman had some significant attrition this offseason between a large senior class and guys that opted not to endure a culture change with the program. So, I think we will see Furman improve off the malaise of the last few years, but they are going to be playing a lot of young guys.

On the bright side, with such large attrition in year 1, Hendrix has the chance to immediately put his stamp on the program recruiting-wise. This will not be a situation (like his predecessor) where you have to wait 3 or 4 years to get "your guys" in the program.

I agree. I do expect Furman to get a lot better. I just don't expect the first year to be a lot better, just better.

ex189
July 12th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Coach Tucker at Charleston Southern. The Defense is loaded and there is still plenty of talent on the offensive side of the ball.

seelarke
July 12th, 2017, 10:50 AM
I think Spangler will do a good job at PC getting them competitive again. His decision to keep Varn as the OC is still a major head scratcher because the offense has suffered under his guidance. For some reason PC just can't recruit a QB decent enough to throw the ball more than 10yards.

PaladinNation
July 12th, 2017, 12:15 PM
I agree. I do expect Furman to get a lot better. I just don't expect the first year to be a lot better, just better.

IMO Hendrix has the best shot at the biggest turnaround in one season… after going 4-7 in 2015 and 3-8 in 2016 a six-win season will be a huge improvement. It won't be sexy but that will a big step in the right direction. Clay has said many times since being named head coach at Furman. He expects to win now not later, and he has emphasized that to the players.

I will admit I know very little about the other 1st year coaching staffs, and I only know Chatty's by bio's and from following a few; Arth and Rascati in their previous jobs. Hendrix has brought together an impressive coaching nucleus. That seems to fit a plan.

Hendrix, Cronic and Quarles know offense, they all ran offenses that were different but have similar threads; fast-tempo, veer, wing formations, double-wide spreads. What they're cooking up, we will see against Wofford. What you can expect is great coaching and great game planning offensively. It's been a long time since we could say that about Furman.

And then you have Staggs defense. His record and the play of CSU in the last four years speaks for itself. Staggs has a ton of holes to plug. Expect to see some youngster work into playing time as the season progresses.

After saying all that. Furman has a realistic shot at a six-win season. Is that sexy… nope, but it would be a far cry from the last two dismal seasons. SoCon brothers you know you want to hate Furman again, I miss the old banter with GSU fans calling us Purple Pansies.

OL FU
July 12th, 2017, 01:53 PM
IMO Hendrix has the best shot at the biggest turnaround in one season… after going 4-7 in 2015 and 3-8 in 2016 a six-win season will be a huge improvement. It won't be sexy but that will a big step in the right direction. Clay has said many times since being named head coach at Furman. He expects to win now not later, and he has emphasized that to the players.

I will admit I know very little about the other 1st year coaching staffs, and I only know Chatty's by bio's and from following a few; Arth and Rascati in their previous jobs. Hendrix has brought together an impressive coaching nucleus. That seems to fit a plan.

Hendrix, Cronic and Quarles know offense, they all ran offenses that were different but have similar threads; fast-tempo, veer, wing formations, double-wide spreads. What they're cooking up, we will see against Wofford. What you can expect is great coaching and great game planning offensively. It's been a long time since we could say that about Furman.

And then you have Staggs defense. His record and the play of CSU in the last four years speaks for itself. Staggs has a ton of holes to plug. Expect to see some youngster work into playing time as the season progresses.

After saying all that. Furman has a realistic shot at a six-win season. Is that sexy… nope, but it would be a far cry from the last two dismal seasons. SoCon brothers you know you want to hate Furman again, I miss the old banter with GSU fans calling us Purple Pansies.

I think a 6 win season was what I was talking about;). Certainly a big improvement but I am old and have a long memory.

Wildcat1997
July 12th, 2017, 02:21 PM

After saying all that. Furman has a realistic shot at a six-win season. Is that sexy… nope, but it would be a far cry from the last two dismal seasons. SoCon brothers you know you want to hate Furman again, I miss the old banter with GSU fans calling us Purple Pansies.ACU is virtually in the same position with Dorrel. We went 2-9 last year so a 5 or 6 win season would be a very good improvement. I think that win total is realistic under Dorrel.

Scrappy94
July 17th, 2017, 11:27 PM
I'm partial to Tom Arth. Really been impressed with him so far.

Catatonic
July 18th, 2017, 04:02 AM
ACU is virtually in the same position with Dorrel. We went 2-9 last year so a 5 or 6 win season would be a very good improvement. I think that win total is realistic under Dorrel.

I agree with you, my Wildcat brother. I expect more from Dorrel three years from now but for this season a net gain of +3 or 4 W's is doable and puts us on the right path.

We end the season with Sammy and UCA. It will be interesting to see how close we are to the conference elite by the end of the season. If we remain healthy I expect us to be stronger at the end than at the beginning of the year.

chattownmocs
July 18th, 2017, 07:27 AM
I'm partial to Tom Arth. Really been impressed with him so far.

He's gonna be a great football coach for a long time IMO. I just hope if he's a 1 or 2 and done here its because he truly elevated the program if not won a national title.