PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Appalachian State Schedule - Piece-By-Piece

Pages : 1 2 [3]

SoCon48
April 30th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Gwebb:

Did Not!! Weren't skeered at all. At least not after those back to back punt returns for TDs that Dexter Jackson pulled off. The only "momentum" I saw was the GW players' taunting, which disappeared pretty quickly after those punt returns.

Last year's GWU v. ASU game was a whoopin' waitin' to happen!

See ya at the ROCK!

You're right. It's like when we play one of the big boys. They know we can keep it close for a quarter or two, then the gas runs out, or the coaches finally figure us out and the rest is history.

SoCon48
April 30th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Hey, thanks to Appy's generousity with the turnovers, we scared the pee out of them for a half last year! Take away that long TD that they got, and it may have stayed closer throughout, that was a momentum killer.

All is moot though unless my Dawgs learn how to play defense for a change this season.....something that has been missing pretty much for the past two seasons!xbangx

Maybe a couple of our players had doubts, but did you see anyone with panic on their faces? I didn't. I just kept wondering when the inevitable would start to occur. "bout that time, it did!!"

SoCon48
April 30th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I have to be honest, I don't know a lot about many of the teams on this schedule. But, to me other that Michigan, GSU, and Furman this looks like a pretty weak schedule.

Yoiu guys haven't faced Citadel who can take a 1-9 team ansd scare the H out iof you, not to mention racking up half your starters. Nor a Chatt team who can throw some big points up on the board vs anyone on a given Saturday. Nor WCU who plays their hearts out in the mountain rivalry. They always have great talent, just no depth and a few holes in their lineup. Hasn't been all that long since Brad Hoover put on a clinic and upset us before moving on to the NFL.

SoCon48
April 30th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Based on Travis's thread the team still needing games with schollies on same dates open as App St was No. AZ. No way to get that worked out? I'm sure that NAU would love to host ASU xlolx

I'd be happy with LaSalle and Valpo. Two good schools with good name recognition.

Mountaineer2825
April 30th, 2007, 10:21 PM
I'd be happy with LaSalle and Valpo. Two good schools with good name recognition.

Well, at least they'd be easy follow up games after getting bruised up in Michigan..

Mr. C
April 30th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Wofford was 7-4 last year I think so thats a decent game

If u ask cit members there going undefeated soo i guess thats a tough game too lol
The Citadel is almost always tough when the Bulldogs play in Charleston. Wofford draws ASU at home, too. The Terriers have only ever beaten ASU once at Gibbs Stadium since they joined the SoCon, but Wofford has a senior-oriented squad that closed the year with five straight wins. The Terriers could be one of the suprise teams in FCS this season.

T-Dog
May 1st, 2007, 12:08 AM
One thing I do know for sure now.

Oct 6 is the Homecoming game vs G-W. Game time is still TBA though, thought I'm willing to bet it'll be at 3:30.

http://www.homecoming.appstate.edu/

SoCon48
May 1st, 2007, 06:49 AM
Well, at least they'd be easy follow up games after getting bruised up in Michigan..

Well, M2825, looks like we can erase Valpo from the options. According to another thread we don't appear on their schedule released yesterday.
I was hoping we'd face them.

lizrdgizrd
May 1st, 2007, 08:43 AM
Well, M2825, looks like we can erase Valpo from the options. According to another thread we don't appear on their schedule released yesterday.
I was hoping we'd face them.
I don't see anything on their website.

Here's the tentative schedule at this point:
Bold Italics are confirmed.

2007 APPALACHIAN STATE FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Sept. 1 at Michigan
Sept. 8 Valparaiso, St. Peter's
Sept. 15 Valparaiso, LaSalle
Sept. 22 at Wofford
Sept. 29 at Elon
Oct. 6 Homecoming Gardner-Webb
Oct. 13 open
Oct. 20 Georgia Southern
Oct. 27 at Furman
Nov. 3 at Citadel
Nov. 10 Western Carolina
Nov 17 - UT Chattanooga

SoCon48
May 1st, 2007, 08:49 AM
Read this:

Defense steps up in second half
Sunday, April 29, 2007 12:14 AM CDT
Post a Comment | Email this story | Print this story

BY PAUL OREN
Times Correspondent

VALPARAISO | Valparaiso University defensive coordinator Sam Bernardi understood what his defense was up against in the Brown and Gold Spring football game.

With limited numbers because of injury and with the defense playing every play of 60-minute running clock, he knew that fatigue would be a factor. What he did not expect was how well his unit would respond in the second half, holding the offense to just one point in the fourth quarter and forcing three turnovers.

"I liked the way that we responded in the second half today," Bernardi said. "I told them at halftime they could either be tired and complain, or they could close out spring practice on a strong note."

Doug Howard led the Crusader defense with several modified sacks and a strong attack move from the defensive line. After missing most of last season after having his gall bladder removed, Howard has returned to the lineup 20 pounds lighter and much faster.

"I thought that we played awesome today, especially with our limited numbers," Howard said. "It was definitely a lot of fun to play in a game because we've all been so worn down with finals coming up and practicing all month."

Schedule Set

As the Crusaders walked off the field following the spring game, Public Address announcer John Bowker reminded fans that the

next home game was just over four months away.

Valparaiso will open the season at home on September 1st against St. Francis-Joliet before heading on the road for four straight games

against Trinity International, Kalamazoo College, Marian College-Indy and PFL rival Drake.

The Crusaders will be home for the entire month of October, including an Oct. 6 Homecoming date with San Diego. The season concludes on Nov. 10 at Davidson and the PFL champion will host the Gridiron Classic on Nov. 17.Recruiting Around the Corner

Doesn't mention the opponents in Oct in this article , but surely we aren't playing at Valpo.

I'd say go ahead and toss Valpo in the trash can.

lizrdgizrd
May 1st, 2007, 09:14 AM
Read this:

BY PAUL OREN
Times Correspondent

VALPARAISO | Valparaiso University defensive coordinator Sam Bernardi understood what his defense was up against in the Brown and Gold Spring football game.

With limited numbers because of injury and with the defense playing every play of 60-minute running clock, he knew that fatigue would be a factor. What he did not expect was how well his unit would respond in the second half, holding the offense to just one point in the fourth quarter and forcing three turnovers.

"I liked the way that we responded in the second half today," Bernardi said. "I told them at halftime they could either be tired and complain, or they could close out spring practice on a strong note."

Doug Howard led the Crusader defense with several modified sacks and a strong attack move from the defensive line. After missing most of last season after having his gall bladder removed, Howard has returned to the lineup 20 pounds lighter and much faster.

"I thought that we played awesome today, especially with our limited numbers," Howard said. "It was definitely a lot of fun to play in a game because we've all been so worn down with finals coming up and practicing all month."

Schedule Set

As the Crusaders walked off the field following the spring game, Public Address announcer John Bowker reminded fans that the

Valparaiso will open the season at home on September 1st against St. Francis-Joliet before heading on the road for four straight games

against Trinity International, Kalamazoo College, Marian College-Indy and PFL rival Drake.

The Crusaders will be home for the entire month of October, including an Oct. 6 Homecoming date with San Diego. The season concludes on Nov. 10 at Davidson and the PFL champion will host the Gridiron Classic on Nov. 17.Recruiting Around the Corner

Doesn't mention the opponents in Oct in this article , but surely we aren't playing at Valpo.

I'd say go ahead and toss Valpo in the trash can.
Got a link?

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 09:48 AM
One thing I do know for sure now.

Oct 6 is the Homecoming game vs G-W. Game time is still TBA though, thought I'm willing to bet it'll be at 3:30.

http://www.homecoming.appstate.edu/
looking forward to kicking some bulldog a$$ on october 6!

and how about another 25,000+ or maybe 30!!!

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
Got a link?
that dont sound to credible to me either liz

AppGuy04
May 1st, 2007, 09:50 AM
I would think if they were playing the 2 time defending national champion, they would definitely mention that

and http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23221- Valpo schedule done

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 09:51 AM
the deal could still be in the works?

SoCon48
May 1st, 2007, 10:11 AM
Got a link?

Naah. I just made up that whole article.

SoCon48
May 1st, 2007, 10:12 AM
Just kidding, here it is. You may have to try it a 2 or 3 times. It gives an error message sometimes:

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2007/04...cb007efee6.txt

http://www.nwi.com/articles/2007/04/29/sports/college_sports/doc44d752a27b3d1f5b862572cb007efee6.txt

AppGuy04
May 1st, 2007, 10:21 AM
Valpo is out, there schedule is finalized and we're not on it

This is getting ridiculous

CCU97
May 1st, 2007, 10:24 AM
So I guess it looks like the two MAAC teams....Then again....LaSalle has their schedule on their website already and App St. isn't on it...but they only have 10 games too....

SoCon48
May 1st, 2007, 10:27 AM
that dont sound to credible to me either liz

Umm. here is the whole article. Dateline, Sunday.

BY PAUL OREN
Times Correspondent

Schedule Set

The Crusaders will be home for the entire month of October, including an Oct. 6 Homecoming date with San Diego. The season concludes on Nov. 10 at Davidson and the PFL champion will host the Gridiron Classic on Nov. 17.

Recruiting Around the Corner

With the conclusion of spring practice, coach Stacy Adams and his staff will put the finishing touches on the Class of 2011.

While NCAA non-scholarship rules prohibit Adams from commenting on individuals until their initial financial deposits have

been made, the third-year coach is excited about the incoming freshman.

"We're getting ready to announce our class once everyone gets all their paper work in, but we are happy with who we have coming in," Adams said. "We did very well in the Region and we have some talented individuals who will be able to contribute right away."

AppGuy04
May 1st, 2007, 10:27 AM
So I guess it looks like the two MAAC teams....

the only positive I can find is that atleast they are not DII

lizrdgizrd
May 1st, 2007, 10:34 AM
I would think if they were playing the 2 time defending national champion, they would definitely mention that

and http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23221- Valpo schedule done
That's what I was looking for. xnodx

Sept. 1 at Michigan
Sept. 8 St. Peter's
Sept. 15 LaSalle
Sept. 22 at Wofford
Sept. 29 at Elon
Oct. 13 open
Oct. 20 Georgia Southern
Oct. 27 at Furman
Nov. 3 at Citadel
Nov. 10 Western Carolina
Nov 17 - UT Chattanooga

lizrdgizrd
May 1st, 2007, 10:35 AM
Naah. I just made up that whole article.
I was hoping! xlolx :(

AppGuy04
May 1st, 2007, 10:41 AM
Guess we should just hope the MAAC teams finalize their schedule cause ASU sure ain't giving us any clues

SoCon48
May 1st, 2007, 11:45 AM
cause ASU sure ain't giving us any clues

I don't think they have any at this point.

BigApp
May 1st, 2007, 12:09 PM
LG, what gives you any indication that we're playing St Peters and LaSalle? and why is it "tentative"? It'd be more appropriate if you said it was "speculative"

lizrdgizrd
May 1st, 2007, 12:13 PM
LG, what gives you any indication that we're playing St Peters and LaSalle? and why is it "tentative"? It'd be more appropriate if you said it was "speculative"
They have open dates that correspond to ours. Po-tay-toe/po-tah-toe. It'd actually be more appropriate to call it a wild-ass guess or a shot-in-the-dark! :D

Although, 9 of those games are right, so the schedule itself is pretty close to what'll be released.

Col Hogan
May 1st, 2007, 12:51 PM
They have open dates that correspond to ours. Po-tay-toe/po-tah-toe. It'd actually be more appropriate to call it a wild-ass guess or a shot-in-the-dark! :D

Although, 9 of those games are right, so the schedule itself is pretty close to what'll be released.

When searching for critical data such as this, always turn to your trusty RDB for all the information you need.....

Rectal Data Bank

AppGuy04
May 1st, 2007, 01:12 PM

Well, there are only a handful of teams left that it could actually be, so a wild guess is really not that far off is it?xsmiley_wix

BigApp
May 1st, 2007, 01:28 PM
xlolx xlolx maybe not! xlolx xlolx

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 01:30 PM
i think i would seriously take anyone at this point... no matter what anyone else says at this point... this is just straight up embarrasing...

do we have any confirmation as to whether or not there are talks between asu and those schools... other than the fact that we assume we are talking to anybody with a pulse at this point

phillyAPP
May 1st, 2007, 01:33 PM

We should be well rested for our last 4 conference games and the playoffs.
We will be watching alot of underclassmen play and we should average 40+ points a game.

I wonder who might give us the best game at home this year or even challenge the STREAK?

I can't wait to go to ANN Arbor !

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 01:36 PM
the streak really shouldnt be challanged this year until the playoffs... our toughest opponents will be in michigan, greenville, and spartanburg...

g-webb1994
May 1st, 2007, 02:40 PM
A quick question to the fine Appy posters on here....xbowx

What is Appy's record on Homecoming? Not that there is going to be any chance in hell of an upset on October 6, but rather, with the extra large crowd for that weekend up in Boone, I would figure historically that y'all have fared pretty well on Homecoming, even if against stronger SoCon opponents.xnodx

lizrdgizrd
May 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM

What is Appy's record on Homecoming? Not that there is going to be any chance in hell of an upset on October 6, but rather, with the extra large crowd for that weekend up in Boone, I would figure historically that y'all have fared pretty well on Homecoming, even if against stronger SoCon opponents.xnodx
However many years we've been playing football - 0?

Mountaineer
May 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM

Since 1962 when KBS was still Conrad. xlolx

32-11-2 (73%)

Last loss was Wofford in 2002 and before that, Marshall 1996.

james_lawfirm
May 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM

I don't think this is correct. I remember going to a Homecoming game, many years ago, and losing. Can't remember when or who. Not a lot of help, huh? My guess is The Citadel has surprised us on occasion.

james_lawfirm
May 1st, 2007, 02:46 PM

32-11-2 (73%)

OK, thanks for the research.

citdog
May 1st, 2007, 02:46 PM
the streak really shouldnt be challanged this year until the playoffs... our toughest opponents will be in michigan, greenville, and spartanburg...

keep taking us lightly, and you will leave Charleston with a L

g-webb1994
May 1st, 2007, 02:50 PM

32-11-2 (73%)

Impressive.xthumbsupx

Mountaineer
May 1st, 2007, 02:52 PM
Impressive.xthumbsupx

G Webb is 0-3 so far at KBS. Last game was was a 43-7 loss in 1989. Looking forward to seeing you guys come back. xnodx xthumbsupx

phillyAPP
May 1st, 2007, 03:02 PM

No way Cit Dog, APP is not taking you guys lightly. I know its your secret weapon. I expect the Dogs to be in every game this year and win many.xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

It will be a great game.

lizrdgizrd
May 1st, 2007, 03:07 PM
Win doesn't have L in it, citdog. Maybe they should focus more on basic spelling down there at el Cid.

james_lawfirm
May 1st, 2007, 03:08 PM

Citdog:
I can assure you that we are not taking you lightly. But, I dont think it unreasonable to say that ASU's toughest games this year will be Mich., Woff. & Furman. I would put The Citadel in that list if I listed 4 teams.

citdog
May 1st, 2007, 03:13 PM
Citdog:
I can assure you that we are not taking you lightly. But, I dont think it unreasonable to say that ASU's toughest games this year will be Mich., Woff. & Furman. I would put The Citadel in that list if I listed 4 teams.

we will see, what are you going to say when we have already beaten the lapdogs and the Baptists when yosef and spike meet?

phillyAPP
May 1st, 2007, 03:21 PM
we will see, what are you going to say when we have already beaten the lapdogs and the Baptists when yosef and spike meet?

BARK, BARK --- We will see and I can't wait ------ 4 months and counting xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

lizrdgizrd
May 1st, 2007, 03:32 PM
Let's just wait and see if the first two signs of the apocalypse come to pass before we start worrying about the third. xrolleyesx

AppStateold299
May 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM

You sure do talk a lot for having a team that hasn't had a winning record in at least the last 5 seasons.

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 04:02 PM
G Webb is 0-3 so far at KBS. Last game was was a 43-7 loss in 1989. Looking forward to seeing you guys come back. xnodx xthumbsupx
oh wow good research... not like we needed... we knew we will that game...xeyebrowx

citdog
May 1st, 2007, 04:10 PM
You sure do talk a lot for having a team that hasn't had a winning record in at least the last 5 seasons.

you sure post alot for a guy who has been a member for 2 years!

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 04:12 PM
you sure post a lot for a guy who has been on here for ever

citdog
May 1st, 2007, 04:13 PM
you sure post a lot for a guy who has been on here for ever

thanks guy! my staminia has always been pretty high!

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 04:19 PM
hehe i am just playing with you

citdog
May 1st, 2007, 04:20 PM
hehe i am just playing with you

save that for Catfishxlolx :D

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 04:21 PM
will do!!!

CCU97
May 1st, 2007, 04:23 PM
he's only averaging 2.7 posts a day for 3 years and 8 months.....cit are you retired already? I work for a college and can't find enough time to keep that pace up....lol

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 04:24 PM
there is nothing wrong with your 1.11 posts per day!!!

CCU97
May 1st, 2007, 04:26 PM
nope....some days are better than others and I try to take a break on the weekends.....I actually can't believe I've been on this site for a year now I just realized that when looking at this post.

CCU97
May 1st, 2007, 04:26 PM
but Appfan2008 you have to be a student....2534 in that time is just a ton of post! That is around 14 post and some change every day....

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 04:46 PM
but Appfan2008 you have to be a student....2534 in that time is just a ton of post! That is around 14 post and some change every day....
yeah i am a student and spend a good little amount of time on my computer with nothing to do!

ASUMountaineer
May 1st, 2007, 04:56 PM
yeah i am a student and spend a good little amount of time on my computer with nothing to do!

Ahh, to be in college again xsmhx . Enjoy it AppFan2008. I can still throw down like I did in college, just a lot less frequently now. Go Neers

AppGuy04
May 1st, 2007, 05:15 PM

free time in college, ahhh yes, don't remember much of that

phillyAPP
May 1st, 2007, 05:19 PM
free time in college, ahhh yes, don't remember much of that

ME TOO

xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

This where I tink i foget how maannyy i ha d , I tink

BigApp
May 1st, 2007, 05:20 PM

Wofford wore our azzes out in 2002 for Homecoming. Embarassed us.

Mountaineer2825
May 3rd, 2007, 02:55 PM
Any more news? Whats going on with the rumor about us playing Northern Arizona?

AppStateold299
May 3rd, 2007, 07:17 PM

Sorry if I don't feel the need to post every two seconds just to bump up my numbers. Whopped dee do you have a lot of posts. You just talk out your butt and post completely wrong facts. I at least know what I am talking about and don't back a losing team. Have fun at the bottom of the SoCon again. You def. make me laugh with your arrogance in your team. Wow! I am so impressed with your post numbers.

Mr. C
May 4th, 2007, 12:00 AM
If you think The Citadel will finish at the bottom of the SoCon "again this year," you really don't much of a clue about the conference. The Citadel has one of the best coaches in FCS, Kevin Higgins, who will be in his third year. They have a multi-talented QB in a conference where experience at QB is generally a huge key to success (Armanti Edwards was a big exception in 2006). The Bulldogs are one of the most experienced teams in the league. They improved a ton in 2006. Why would anyone think they wouldn't improve some more this season?

boonedocks
May 4th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Definately Mr. C. The matchup in chuck town should be a dog-fight. No pun intended.

lizrdgizrd
May 4th, 2007, 11:49 AM
So with the rumors of a possible NAU game:

Sept. 1 at Michigan
Sept. 8 St. Peter's
Sept. 15 LaSalle or NAU
Sept. 22 at Wofford
Sept. 29 at Elon
Oct. 13 open
Oct. 20 Georgia Southern
Oct. 27 at Furman
Nov. 3 at Citadel
Nov. 10 Western Carolina
Nov 17 - UT Chattanooga

AppGuy04
May 4th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Here's hoping we can get the Jacks inked

AppStateold299
May 6th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I would say this is getting rediculous, but it is already that. Now it is getting embarassing. I understand we want the best opponents possible, but at this point in the year any opponent is better than no opponent. Any clue as to when we will finally have a finished schedule?

phillyAPP
May 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I would say this is getting rediculous, but it is already that. Now it is getting embarassing. I understand we want the best opponents possible, but at this point in the year any opponent is better than no opponent. Any clue as to when we will finally have a finished schedule?

Someone mentioned this week and Northern Arizona is a No GO.

Anything at this point.

dbackjon
May 6th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Sigh on that - we still need an 11th game.

phillyAPP
May 6th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Sigh on that - we still need an 11th game.

I hope your right.

I will plan my trip to AZ for 2009.

UNHWildCats
May 7th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Sept. 1 at Michigan
Sept. 8 St. Peter's
Sept. 15 Northern Arizona
Sept. 22 at Wofford
Sept. 29 at Elon
Oct. 13 open
Oct. 20 Georgia Southern
Oct. 27 at Furman
Nov. 3 at Citadel
Nov. 10 Western Carolina
Nov 17 - UT Chattanooga

GAME ON!

AppGuy04
May 7th, 2007, 12:49 PM
sweet, got the Jacks!!!

lizrdgizrd
May 7th, 2007, 12:55 PM

Sept. 1 at Michigan
Sept. 8 St. Peter's
Sept. 22 at Wofford
Sept. 29 at Elon
Oct. 13 open
Oct. 20 Georgia Southern
Oct. 27 at Furman
Nov. 3 at Citadel
Nov. 10 Western Carolina
Nov 17 - UT Chattanooga

GAME ON!
Source?!!?!? Don't tease me, Travis! :p

UNHWildCats
May 7th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Source?!!?!? Don't tease me, Travis! :p

An email from the NAU athletics director to Jon.

lizrdgizrd
May 7th, 2007, 01:02 PM
An email from the NAU athletics director to Jon.
I wanna see it published. :D

UNHWildCats
May 7th, 2007, 01:03 PM
its not who you know its who you.... :p

dbackjon
May 7th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I wanna see it published. :D

Me too - but since the SID also sent the email to USATODAY, I would assume it is offiicial!

lizrdgizrd
May 7th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Me too - but since the SID also sent the email to USATODAY, I would assume it is offiicial!
I'd just hate to have my spirit crushed any further! xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xlolx

ASUMountaineer
May 7th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I talked to someone who would know in the Athletic Department today and he said we will have both games at home and a schedule should (emphasizing should) be done this week. Looks like NAU is down, my assumption is it will be DII, but the contact couldn't tell me who yet. Right now there has not been an announcement because they are finalizing the contracts.

There will also be a great package for Yosef Club members for the Michigan game.

lizrdgizrd
May 7th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Alright, I'll bite, NAU at the ROCK in Sept. Who's our last vict...I mean opponent going to be? Who the hell knows?!?!?! xconfusedx

Sept. 1 at Michigan
Sept. 8 St. Peter's
Sept. 22 at Wofford
Sept. 29 at Elon
Oct. 13 open
Oct. 20 Georgia Southern
Oct. 27 at Furman
Nov. 3 at Citadel
Nov. 10 Western Carolina
Nov 17 - UT Chattanooga

BrevardMountaineer03
May 7th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Okay, we are a lot closer to a schedule! :)
Let's finish this thing off and get it finalized!
Go App!

AppStateold299
May 7th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Hey we have one less obsticle to overcome to have a completed schedule. I am happy to have a strong FCS opponent for at least one of the slots in our schedule. We already have a pretty strong schedule despite the likely DII team that will finalize the long awaited schedule. It is great to be a Mountaineer!

Mr. C
May 7th, 2007, 09:10 PM
If ASU is looking at a Division II opponent, the most likely fit would be Glenville State on Sept. 8. I guess St. Peter's still has an opening on that date, too. North Greenville might be a fit if some juggling of games went on.

rb45070
May 7th, 2007, 09:59 PM
http://www.goasu.com/article/10771/

there is the update from goasu

Also, the question I have, and maybe someone can help me, (please forgive me it if has been asked/answered in this post) Are we still feeling the effects of Laney not trying to schedule ahead?

Mountaineer
May 8th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Via the MMB. The schedule is complete. No link yet, however.

2007 Football Schedule

9/1 @ Michigan
9/8 Lenoir Rhyne
9/15 Northern Arizona
9/22 @ Wofford
9/29 @ Elon
10/6 Gardner-Webb
10/20 Georgia Southern
10/27 @ Furman
11/3 @ Citadel
11/10 Western Carolina
11/17 UTC

dbackjon
May 8th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Via the MMB. The schedule is complete. No link yet, however.

2007 Football Schedule

9/8 Lenoir Rhyne

Is she a country singer?

Mountaineer
May 8th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Is she a country singer?

xlolx :p

No it's a small private college in Hickory, NC..not far from Boone so should be a good draw. xnodx

dbackjon
May 8th, 2007, 04:51 PM
xlolx :p

No it's a small private college in Hickory, NC..not far from Boone so should be a good draw. xnodx

Future SoCon member? xsmiley_wix

Mountaineer
May 8th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Future SoCon member? xsmiley_wix

xnonox xmadx xsmhx :( xoopsx

Mr. C
May 8th, 2007, 04:53 PM
L-R was a long-time rival of App State's, but the two haven't met since 1982 (that goes back before the Mack Brown era at ASU). The series, which started in 1931, is 22-19-4 in ASU's favor.

Mr. C
May 8th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Lenoir-Rhyne, which is a dynamite academic school, just hired former Duke and Rice coach Fred Goldsmith as its new coach. L-R has been, more often than now, pretty bad in the South Atlantic Conference for a bunch of years.

dbackjon
May 8th, 2007, 04:59 PM
xnonox xmadx xsmhx :( xoopsx

Why not? You have Baptists (Samford), Congregationalists (Elon), Methodists (Wofford), Presbyterians (Davidson) and Secessionists (Citadel). Let the Lutherans in!!! ;)

Mountaineer
May 8th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Link now on the ASU website. About damn time. xlolx

http://www.goasu.com/article/10774/

dbackjon
May 8th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Link now on the ASU website. About damn time. xlolx

http://www.goasu.com/article/10774/

Say thank you NAU xsmiley_wix

Mountaineer
May 8th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks NAU.

xbowx xnodx xbowx xnodx xbowx xnodx xbowx

I really think we'd still be struggling without you guys. It's gonna be great to see the Jacks this Fall. xrotatehx

Plus it's funny reading eGriz and seeing them raising hell since they couldn't put together a game with us and you guys could. :p :D

Mr. C
May 8th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I just got the email on the schedule about eight minutes ago. Love it how you hear almost everything first on AGS.

Sir William
May 8th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Congrats, App. It's finally done! xbowx

Good schedule. xthumbsupx

AppStateold299
May 8th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Thank you to NAU for helping us finalize the 2007 schedule. I also have to thank Lenoir Rhyne for the finishing touches. It may not be the most impressive game, but it is a game none the less. I am very hopefull and will always say "It is Great to be a MOUNTAINEER!"

Mountaineer#96
May 8th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Early predictions, a little trash talk......I see much of last years schedule in this one, likely be 10-1 or 9-2.......

(L) 9/1 @ Michigan - some pain.... hopefully a competitive game

(W) 9/8 Lenoir Rhyne - tune up, football demo.....good game for some of the younger guys to get a feel for things.

(W) 9/15 Northern Arizona - excited about this match up, happy to have another Big Sky contender in town.

(W) 9/22 @ Wofford - hopefully same out come as our trip in '05

(W) 9/29 @ Elon - No Nkang around to defy 65 yard K Rich blasts up the gut for 6.

(W) 10/6 Gardner-Webb - they will get a dose of The Rock

(W) 10/20 Georgia Southern - welcome back, park the buses close.....leave engine running. (hopefully no Armanti fumbles)

(W/L) 10/27 @ Furman - ugh, why can't we just play in Boone every year xsmiley_wix

(W) 11/3 @ Citadel - keep those cannons warm, we are gonna launch you boys into the harbor.

(W) 11/10 Western Carolina - haha, come get it.

(W) 11/17 UTC - I always liked these guys, in '04 we both hung over 50 on each other, we lost and they were pretty good sports about it......xnonono2x xnonono2x I wanted to puke in the locker room.

just my opinion, of course we still have to play the games...

dbackjon
May 8th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I just got the email on the schedule about eight minutes ago. Love it how you hear almost everything first on AGS.

xthumbsupx

Mountaineer#96
May 8th, 2007, 05:30 PM
x 2 xnodx

BigApp
May 8th, 2007, 05:49 PM
L-R had a game scheduled with Virginia Union on 9/8, wonder what VU's gonna do now?

HiHiYikas
May 8th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Since playing a D-II seems to be an inevitability, I'm glad to see the Mountaineers going with a long and storied rivalry.

I used to live down the street from Lenoir Rhyne's campus, and used to cover their baseball team for the Hickory Daily Record, back when I used to think I wanted to be a sportswriter.

They have a beautiful little football stadium. They won the NAIA national championship back in 1960, and beat App 16 times in the 50's and 60's. More recently, one of their DE's was a 5th-round NFL draft pick back in 2000. That was a pretty big deal for the program, and was well-covered in the local news.

A 52-28 App State victory over Lenoir-Rhyne in 1968 is listed among App's most memorable victories in the Media Guide:

The Mountaineer defense stunned the Bears by yielding just 59 rushing yards one week after the Bears received national fame by racking up 900 total yards of offense.

Sophomore Emmitt Hamilton rushed for 215 yard and two touchdowns in his greatest performance in a Mountaineer jersey.

The Mountaineers played before a stunned Lenoir-Rhyne crowd of 12,500 fans. The Bears’ frustration was evident when a bench clearing brawl broke out with 16 seconds left in the contest.

L-R had a game scheduled with Virginia Union on 9/8, wonder what VU's gonna do now?
That's an interesting coincidence. The college I used to live down the street from cancels a game with the college I currently live down the street from.

HiHiYikas
May 8th, 2007, 06:05 PM
That's an interesting coincidence. The college I used to live down the street from cancels a game with the college I currently live down the street from.

dbackjon
May 8th, 2007, 06:12 PM

CREEPY!!!

Coincidence? I think not!

T-Dog
May 8th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Well, if we had to get a D2 game, L-R ain't a bad choice. At least it's close so they'll bring some people up.

And I like the 3:30 start times for all home games. Don't mess with success.

PantherRob82
May 8th, 2007, 06:51 PM
yay! it's done!

james_lawfirm
May 8th, 2007, 07:48 PM
ALLRIIIGGHHTT!!! Finally, a schedule. Lenoir Rhyne's going to be fun. Let's welcome the Bears to the ROCK!

AshevilleApp
May 8th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Looks like a 10-1 record to me (9-2 if we can't win in Greenville or potentially Spartanburg).....playoffs regardless and another shot at the trophy

appsfan
May 8th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I like the schedule. The timing of L-R after Michigan and before a tough NAU game is perfect. I also like the open date before Black Saturday against Georgia Southern. It was a long time in coming, but it turned out okay.

PantherRob82
May 8th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I like the schedule. The timing of L-R after Michigan and before a tough NAU game is perfect. I also like the open date before Black Saturday against Georgia Southern. It was a long time in coming, but it turned out okay.

Still not sure NAU will be a tough game. Hope they prove me wrong.

lizrdgizrd
May 9th, 2007, 08:11 AM
So here it finally is! The official schedule of your 2007 Appalachian State University Mountaineers!

Sept. 1 at Michigan
Sept. 8 Lenoir Rhyne
Sept. 22 at Wofford
Sept. 29 at Elon
Oct. 13 open
Oct. 20 Georgia Southern
Oct. 27 at Furman
Nov. 3 at Citadel
Nov. 10 Western Carolina
Nov 17 - UT Chattanooga

WUTNDITWAA
May 9th, 2007, 09:43 AM
So here it finally is! The official schedule of your 2007 Appalachian State University Mountaineers!

Sept. 1 at Michigan
Sept. 8 Lenoir Rhyne
Sept. 22 at Wofford
Sept. 29 at Elon
Oct. 13 open
Oct. 20 Georgia Southern
Oct. 27 at Furman
Nov. 3 at Citadel
Nov. 10 Western Carolina
Nov 17 - UT Chattanooga

Away, home, home, away, away, home, home, away, away, home, home. An odd pattern for a football schedule, but at least it's out and is much better than what could've been.

SoCon48
May 9th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Lenoir-Rhyne, which is a dynamite academic school, just hired former Duke and Rice coach Fred Goldsmith as its new coach. L-R has been, more often than now, pretty bad in the South Atlantic Conference for a bunch of years.

They always said that, David, but the truth is their average SAT score barely crosses the 1000 barrier. They pretty much take anyone who mails in an application.

AshevilleApp
May 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Furman Fans

I'm traveling to the Furman-App game, any idea on how far in advance I should get tickets? Do you guys typically sell-out that game?

SoCon48
May 9th, 2007, 09:50 AM
http://www.goasu.com/article/10771/

there is the update from goasu

Also, the question I have, and maybe someone can help me, (please forgive me it if has been asked/answered in this post) Are we still feeling the effects of Laney not trying to schedule ahead?

Nice to have someone to blame it on, but it's been a while since Laney left.
I haven't seen the new AD's schedule for 2008, 2009, 2010 yet, have you?
Just a I-A game here and there.

mountaineertider
May 9th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Do you think everyone in Boone will know that NAU is a good opponent? I ask this because I would like to know how early I'll have to get to the gate to have good seats near the 50 at KBS.

I got there like an hour - hour and a half early for playoff games and got to sit there.

The Moody1
May 9th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Furman Fans

I'm traveling to the Furman-App game, any idea on how far in advance I should get tickets? Do you guys typically sell-out that game?

They have never sold out a game as far as I know. I usually wait until they go on sale through the ASU ticket office. Although, a few times I have bought tickets on game day at the stadium.

GGASU
May 9th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Do you think everyone in Boone will know that NAU is a good opponent? I ask this because I would like to know how early I'll have to get to the gate to have good seats near the 50 at KBS.

I got there like an hour - hour and a half early for playoff games and got to sit there.

I ususally buy my tickets online a couple of weeks before the game and usually have pretty good seats. That is the easiest way to do it....no lines print the tickets at home.

GGASU
May 9th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if ASU pulls a Montana State.

Win in Ann Arbor and lose to a D2 the next week.

xhomerx Of Course we should win them both xhomerx

james_lawfirm
May 9th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if ASU pulls a Montana State.

Win in Ann Arbor and lose to a D2 the next week.

Nope.

mountaineertider
May 9th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I ususally buy my tickets online a couple of weeks before the game and usually have pretty good seats. That is the easiest way to do it....no lines print the tickets at home.

I'm a student so I don't have to do any of that...all I gotta do is get my AppCard scanned xthumbsupx. I was looking for a student perspective if thats possible. thanks though!

tralfangar
May 9th, 2007, 08:29 PM

If the weather is good and we manage to beat Lenoir-Rhyne:D I imagine you should do the same as you did last year. It'll be the second home game of the young season and people will be pumped for a quality opponent. I also think the Athletic Dept will hype the game like they did the Coastal game....

ronpayne
May 9th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Speaking of tickets, I'm curious to see how the new press box/seats affect attendance, if at all. It was nice going to home games last year to packed houses, and full grassy hills. ::sigh:: August won't get here soon enough! Anybody have any inside info on what season tix might run this year?

Mr. C
May 9th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Last I heard, they still hadn't figured out what they were going to do with press accomodations for 2007. There are several ideas afoot.

appsfan
May 9th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I would expect a good crowd for the NAU game is it is Family Day (instead of Parent's Day I guess.) I don't think that will hurt your efforts GGASU to get your 50 yd line seats as they won't be after your student seats.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 10th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I can't wait for ASU-Michigan...xcoolx :D

September 1st after the game is over UM fans are going to be saying "omfg our defense sucks this year 31 points to a division 2 mountain school!?!? WTF?!". xlolx xlolx xlolx

I'm not saying I think ASU will win but Edwards and Richardson are going to give UM defensive coaches a headache. Count on that.

GoGuins
May 10th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Me too, opening day @ The Big House is awesome

September 1st after the game is over UM fans are going to be saying "omfg our defense sucks this year 31 points to a division 2 mountain school!?!? WTF?!". xlolx xlolx xlolx
If ASU can put up 31 on Michigan, we are in for a long season

I'm not saying I think ASU will win but Edwards and Richardson are going to give UM defensive coaches a headache. Count on that.

Henne, Hart, & Manningham, will give be giving ASU's defensive coaches a migraine all game long. Count on that

T-Dog
May 10th, 2007, 05:58 PM
They announced ticket packages today. It's on goasu.com

Homecoming (G-W), Southern, and Western regular tickets are now $25. NAU, L-R and UTC are still $20.

And gametime for G-W is now 2:30 (why?). All other home game times are 3:30.

appfan2008
May 10th, 2007, 06:58 PM
i have been a way a few days and i come back and we have a schedule! hot digity dang!

looks great... go get um mountaineers

james_lawfirm
May 10th, 2007, 07:50 PM

xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

Yep. My prediction is that the game will be close for 3 qtrs. But, after scaring the pants off the home team, their depth shows in the 4th. Mich. by 7 - 10.

Mr. C
May 10th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Talked to Associate AD Jay Sutton today. For all of the stress of putting this together he is proud that App State has what he thinks is one of the better schedules in the country.

GoGuins
May 11th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Yep. My prediction is that the game will be close for 3 qtrs. But, after scaring the pants off the home team, their depth shows in the 4th. Mich. by 7 - 10.

If Michigan, a projected top 3-5 FBS team nationally, can only beat ASU by 7-10 pts., they are in for a long season.

Count on this, Hart, Henne, & Manningham will give the ASU defensive coaches a major migraine all game longxnodx

james_lawfirm
May 11th, 2007, 07:18 AM
If Michigan, a projected top 3-5 FBS team nationally, can only beat ASU by 7-10 pts., they are in for a long season.

Count on this, Hart, Henne, & Manningham will give the ASU defensive coaches a major migraine all game longxnodx

Maybe. But, I'll guarantee there will be no blow out like all Mich. posters are saying. 'Course, if I remember correctly, YSU said EXACTLY the same thing about the ASU/YSU playoff game.

I did not say ASU would win, I just said it will be close after 3 quarters.

What would Mich. fans do if ASU won the game?

BeauFoster
May 11th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Maybe. But, I'll guarantee there will be no blow out like all Mich. posters are saying. 'Course, if I remember correctly, YSU said EXACTLY the same thing about the ASU/YSU playoff game.

One thing they'll do...get the heck outta my way because my happy butt will be on that field.

(Just kidding, but how I would love to charge to the middle of the big house. Something tells me that some of Ann Arbor's finest wouldn't let me get too far!)

CID1990
May 11th, 2007, 08:34 AM
(W) 11/3 @ Citadel - keep those cannons warm, we are gonna launch you boys into the harbor.

Yes, good idea.... worry about Furman and overlook The Citadel. We are counting on it. We'll keep the cannons ready to go.

lizrdgizrd
May 11th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Probably riot! xlolx

GoGuins
May 11th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Probably riot! xlolx

We're not Ohio State:D

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 11th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I speak from experience when I say that ASU will put points on the board...ASU's offense is similar to what GSU used to run.

In '99 we played a decent 7-5 bowl team in Oregon State and we put up 41 points and tons of yards on them. Granted that was arguably (don't see how one could argue otherwise) the best FCS offense ever, but we put we still played one of the better defenses in FBS and put serious points on the board.

In '04 we played UGA who was ranked pre-season in the top-five and we put 28 points on them, and if Jermaine Austin hadn't been hurt in the first quarter and if we hadn't blown a few big opportunities (dropped passes by men wide open, etc.) we would have put up a few more. Don't listen to the talking heads that say that you are running a "high school offense" that has no effectiveness in big college football.

Also, Richardson and Edwards are both players that have huge hearts just like GSU's little 5 foot 8 (I think that's his height) Jermaine Austin that tore holes in UGA's D-line. They'll show up feeling they have something to prove.

dbackjon
May 11th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I speak from experience when I say that ASU will put points on the board...

In '99 we played a decent 7-5 bowl team in Oregon State and we put up 41 points and tons of yards on them. Granted that was arguably (don't see how one could argue otherwise) the best FCS offense ever, but we put we still played one of the better defenses in FBS and put serious points on the board.

Did ASU have a 3,000 yard passer and a 2,000 yard rusher that season?

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 11th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Did ASU have a 3,000 yard passer and a 2,000 yard rusher that season?

Those two games I mentioned were Georgia Southern's, sorry, I probably should have made that more clear.

dbackjon
May 11th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Those two games I mentioned were Georgia Southern's, sorry, I probably should have made that more clear.

xthumbupx And yes, GSU had an impressive offense back then, one of the best ever.

NAU still holds the distinction of having the only 3,000 yard passer and 2,000 yard rusher in the same season, ever.

GGASU
May 11th, 2007, 02:07 PM

It all depends on how ASU players react to the pressure of Ann Arbor. If we can get some early breaks and put some points on the board then I think we have a shot and shocking the football world.

Let's face it LSU is twice the team Michigan is and the mountaineers hung tight with the Tigers for 3 quarters...we were two dropped td passes away from being tied.

ASU 31 Michigan 24 late td by the wolverines makes it a single digit win.

bcrawf
May 11th, 2007, 03:02 PM
It all depends on how ASU players react to the pressure of Ann Arbor. If we can get some early breaks and put some points on the board then I think we have a shot and shocking the football world.

Let's face it LSU is twice the team Michigan is and the mountaineers hung tight with the Tigers for 3 quarters...we were two dropped td passes away from being tied.

ASU 31 Michigan 24 late td by the wolverines makes it a single digit win.

Wow you must get your black and gold Kool-Aid in the same shipment they do in Iowa City. Michigan by three touchdowns minimum...

AppStateold299
May 12th, 2007, 06:23 AM
I am hoping like all the mountaineer nation that we shock the FBS world, but I understand how unlikely that is to happen. Although, I do hpe that we do keep it reasonably close. I really doubt that we lose by more than 3 touchdowns.

ASU keeps it to under 10 points.

GoGuins
May 12th, 2007, 09:56 AM
LSU twice the team Michigan is? Please

So do you ASU fans think YSU will keep their game close with Ohio State, like you're saying ASU will with Michigan? Pretty comparable games

thirdgendin
May 12th, 2007, 10:10 AM
They have never sold out a game as far as I know. I usually wait until they go on sale through the ASU ticket office. Although, a few times I have bought tickets on game day at the stadium.

Furman has gone over capacity at Paladin Stadium a few times before, but I imagine you won't have a problem with tickets. Even at our highest-attended games in the last decade or so (always GSU since they bring far more fans than anyone else), you could still get a ticket. If they sell more than 16,000, I believe they'll set up seating in one of the end zones.

I believe that all seats on the side of the stadium where the ASU bench will be located are general admission. Some one correct me if I'm wrong. That means get there early for a good seat.

GGASU
May 12th, 2007, 10:26 AM

So do you ASU fans think YSU will keep their game close with Ohio State, like you're saying ASU will with Michigan? Pretty comparable games

I am pulling for Youngstown, but in no way are they comparable games.

ASU is clearly the best team in FCS.....and we have a good chance of keeping the game very close. The Mountaineers will have the best quarterback and running back on the field.

Michigan is nothing more than a name...put them in the SEC and they would be lucky to be above .500

T-Dog
May 12th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I say ASU/Blue turns into a shootout because our D-line isn't as mature right now and it being the first game both D's have trouble

If we convert our opportunities early and often we have a chance.

Mr. C
May 12th, 2007, 11:33 AM

I guess you must have missed all of the LSU players that played in that game who have matriculated on to the NFL, many of them as high draft choices. QB JaMarcus Russell was just the No. 1 overall player selected. That was an incredibly talented Tiger team, with more of them expected to be high-round draft choices this year. LSU was No. 3 in the BCS at the time of its win over Appalachian State and beat a highly-ranked Alabama squad a week later. Only USC and Texas were ranked ahead of LSU at the time of that game. Michigan is good, but the Wolverines are not in LSU's league. The Tigers would have trounced Michigan in the past two years.

On the subject of Ohio State-Youngstown State, I think all of AGS/FCS hopes for a strong showing from our Penguins (maybe even those UNI fans will be rooting for YSU in this one). The Penguins put up a pretty good showing against Penn State last year, to the point that Joe Paterno and his classy team tried to run up the score and make it look better at the very end (a common tactic in these FBS/FCS games). They were calling time outs and stuff in the final minute to get another score on the board. The problems YSU will face against Ohio State are numerous. First, Jim Tressel knows the Penguins' system inside out. One of Jon Heacock's brothers is (I believe) the defensive coordinator at OSU, also. They will be well prepared for YSU. The Buckeyes are also a much more talented team than Penn State is, though. Jon Heacock actually said that Appalachian State was the most talented team that YSU had faced after the Penguins were crushed in the semifinals last season. Both OSU and YSU have some significant personnel to replace. The key to the season for YSU and for staying in this game is a strong performance by senior QB Tom Zetts and somehow quickly revamping a secondary that had a lot of graduation losses (including two All-Americans).

GoGuins
May 12th, 2007, 11:39 AM

ASU is clearly the best team in FCS.....and we have a good chance of keeping the game very close. The Mountaineers will have the best quarterback and running back on the field.

Michigan is nothing more than a name...put them in the SEC and they would be lucky to be above .500

How are they not comparable? YSU & ASU are top ten FCS teams & Ohio State and Michigan will be also in 2007

GoGuins
May 12th, 2007, 11:45 AM

How are they not comparable? YSU & ASU are top ten FCS teams & Ohio State and Michigan will be also in 2007

The Mountaineers will have the best quarterback and running back on the field.

Hart & Henne will be Heisman candidates, will Edwards & Richardson?

Really? They have career winning records against most of the top tier SEC teams which includes Florida

GoGuins
May 12th, 2007, 11:56 AM
First, Jim Tressel knows the Penguins' system inside out. One of Jon Heacock's brothers is (I believe) the defensive coordinator at OSU, also. They will be well prepared for YSU. The Buckeyes are also a much more talented team than Penn State is, though. Jon Heacock actually said that Appalachian State was the most talented team that YSU had faced after the Penguins were crushed in the semifinals last season. Both OSU and YSU have some significant personnel to replace. The key to the season for YSU and for staying in this game is a strong performance by senior QB Tom Zetts and somehow quickly revamping a secondary that had a lot of graduation losses (including two All-Americans).

On the flip side, Heacock knows Tressel and OSU's offense. It's the same offense he had at YSU. Jon Heacock's brother is indeed OSU's D-coord. YSU's strength early on this year will be their defense. YSU's front seven will be a force and if the 2 new CB's can step in and make plays, they'll be fine. OSU's weakness will be a new QB & their offense. They are going to play Tressel ball against YSU and pound Wells & Wells. Not to say they won't put it in the air a bunch. YSU has a lot returning on the offensive side including Zetts, a 4 yr starter, but will not be able to do much against OSU's defense, which returns almost everyone. It doesn't matter if YSU plays the game of their lives, OSU has too much speed, depth, & talent to contend with and this game will be over early.

Mr. C
May 12th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Appalachian State will start the year as the two-time defending national champion, while Youngstown State has some rebuilding to do. The Mountaineers probably have the best depth in FCS and are a more known quantity, heading into the season, with the offense back almost intact. I think most people think YSU can compete for a Gateway title and may be in the top 10, but I haven't heard anyone say the Penguins are among the favorites to win the national championship (no disrespect here at all, BTW). Also, ASU showed its program was at a higher level than YSU's at the end of last year.

appfan2008
May 12th, 2007, 01:39 PM
mr. c... do YOU think asu can keep the game close with michigan? i sure do but i am not nearly as subjective as you...

SoCon48
May 12th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Very questionable, but I'll bet that the ASU margin will not be worse than at least one other of Michigan's opponents this season.

appfan2008
May 12th, 2007, 01:44 PM
do you guys think we can keep it closer than the lsu game? i.e. 24 points?
i believe we certainly can and hopefully will

SoCon48
May 12th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Wow you must get your black and gold Kool-Aid in the same shipment they do in Iowa City. Michigan by three touchdowns minimum...

I think any FCS team in the land would take a 3 TD loss at the hands of Michigan. As I said in a prev post, Michigan will beat a BCS opponent as bad or worse this season as App.
If that's kool-aid, then I'll have another glass, please.

Mr. C
May 12th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I speak from experience when I say that ASU will put points on the board...ASU's offense is similar to what GSU used to run.

Also, Richardson and Edwards are both players that have huge hearts just like GSU's little 5 foot 8 (I think that's his height) Jermaine Austin that tore holes in UGA's D-line. They'll show up feeling they have something to prove.
I just did a magazine article, where I did some analysis on the ASU no huddle, spread option. In talking with some of the members of the Mountaineer offensive staff, we discussed the simalarities between the Erk/P.J. option and the current ASU attack. There are principles of the GSU option in the spread, though it is not a triple option offense at this time (the T/O could be implemented in the future, with the use of a second running back, as the offense sometimes uses). The zone read play isn't about power as much as the T/O dive is, the zone play is more about isolation and finding a hole. The reads are much more important for the RB. The reads for the QB are actually easier in the spread and much more detailed for the QB in the T/O because of the pitch element. The QB in the spread is basically reading the DE to decide if he keeps or hands off. The blocking schemes are somewhat different for the spread and the GSU option. The GSU blocking relied A LOT on the cut-block technique. You won't see that nearly as much in the spread, because the blockers also have a lot more responsibilities for also being pass blockers. There is a lot of old, Bill Yeoman Houston Veer in the spread as well.

The spread is basically the next generation of the GSU option. It may not be as quick striking as the GSU option, without the element of the pitch, but it adds balance with the ability to pass the ball more effectively. If you have ASU-type receivers, with their speed, safeties and CBs have to be at their absolute best to shut them down. I was watching a DVD of the Georgia Southern-North Dakota State game last week and was impressed with how GSU's CB Brandon Jackson did this, BTW. You have to have run support from safeties and you have to blitz ASU to have much hope of containing them, but you have a lot more risk of getting burned on the pass than you did with the GSU option, in which defenses were more based on playing STRICK assignments to stop the Eagles (who usually found ways to break teams down in those assignments). The shotgun allows for a quick strike element that is missing from the T/O, also. The QB is able to carry out his reads much better.

It is fun to be watching up close what I think is a major development in college football strategy, ever much as significant as the single wing, the T formation, the pro set, the wishbone and the veer.

Mr. C
May 12th, 2007, 04:20 PM
mr. c... do YOU think asu can keep the game close with michigan? i sure do but i am not nearly as subjective as you...
It is possible. I don't if it will happen, but it could be one of the scenarios. I think ASU will be able to score some points, if Kevin Richardson can have a big game. The offense is very experienced. I don't know how ASU's defense will hold up. That will be the key. I could see it being a tight game, or I could see Michigan wearing ASU down in the second half and it being like the Kansas game a couple of years ago. It just depends.

GoGuins
May 14th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Very comparable, YSU/ASU will be top 10 FCS & OSU/Michigan will be top ten FBS

The Mountaineers will have the best quarterback and running back on the field.

Are Edwards and Richardson Heisman contenders like Henne/Hart?

I think you'd be surprised to know that Michigan has an all time winning record against the SEC

BTW, my brother says he'll give ASU fans +30:D

GGASU
May 14th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Very comparable, YSU/ASU will be top 10 FCS & OSU/Michigan will be top ten FBS

Are Edwards and Richardson Heisman contenders like Henne/Hart?

I think you'd be surprised to know that Michigan has an all time winning record against the SEC

BTW, my brother says he'll give ASU fans +30:D

ASU is 3 TDs better than YSU...I doubt that Michigan is 21 pts better than the Buckeyes

The only thing Henne and Hart have in common with the Heisman is the letter H.

If your brother is that reckless with his money, I am surprised he has any to bet.

GoGuins
May 14th, 2007, 03:25 PM
ASU is 3 TDs better than YSU...I doubt that Michigan is 21 pts better than the Buckeyes

The only thing Henne and Hart have in common with the Heisman is the letter H.

If your brother is that reckless with his money, I am surprised he has any to bet.

Wow, you actually believe Edwards/Richardson are better than Hart/Henne? Hart & Henne are projected top 10 draft picks in 2008 and are mentioned in the Heisman race. Along with Manningham I might add

If you want a piece of that +30, PM me, my bro said he would take any serious wagers