PDA

View Full Version : D3 FB two a days banned

Laker
April 12th, 2017, 04:26 PM
http://footballscoop.com/news/division-iii-level-will-no-longer-allowed-conduct-two-day-practices/

In the article it says that a second "walk-through" practice might yet be allowed but not two contact practices. It also talks about the former practice of three a days. I remember two a days well from high school and college but never three.

Bisonoline
April 12th, 2017, 06:40 PM
http://footballscoop.com/news/division-iii-level-will-no-longer-allowed-conduct-two-day-practices/

In the article it says that a second "walk-through" practice might yet be allowed but not two contact practices. It also talks about the former practice of three a days. I remember two a days well from high school and college but never three.

I remember at least 10 days of two a days. I remember one or two of those days were 3 practices but the 3rd didnt involve contact. But every practice was full contact at Iowa. Even during the season except Friday. Hell they didnt even want to give you water breaks.
NDSU was different. They knew what they were doing.

Laker
April 12th, 2017, 08:04 PM
I remember the old "not having water will make you tougher!" Then a player down the road in Clarkfield died during summer practice. Suddenly we got water breaks.

And yes, that our coach was an idiot and got fired after two years. It was only two years too late for us.

bonarae
April 12th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Is D-III going conservative? Maybe. xchinscratchx

Bisonoline
April 12th, 2017, 08:45 PM
I remember the old "not having water will make you tougher!" Then a player down the road in Clarkfield died during summer practice. Suddenly we got water breaks.

And yes, that our coach was an idiot and got fired after two years. It was only two years too late for us.

Considering the way practices were held back then I would of thought more kids would have died. It was brutal.

Laker
April 12th, 2017, 08:56 PM
Considering the way practices were held back then I would of thought more kids would have died. It was brutal.

Yes, I can remember some things like Bull in the Ring where I wonder how people didn't break their backs. And concussions- "just shake it off". Hopefully we are smarter than that today- and more worried about law suits.

BisonFan02
April 12th, 2017, 09:52 PM
Rub some dirt on it you pussies. xlolx

*Insert Uncle Rico POD's story about playing with broken knuckles* :D

bonarae
April 13th, 2017, 03:04 AM
Notable quote from D3Football article (http://www.d3football.com/notables/2017/04/ncaa-committee-votes-to-eliminate-two-a-days):

Data suggests that a disproportionate number of injuries occur during the preseason and practice sessions, so we should then consider other means of providing skill development and team development absent those types of contact practices that lead to injury

That's the justification of why D3 is going conservative here. xtwocentsx

Laker
April 13th, 2017, 08:11 AM
Now D2 is working on the same thing.

http://footballscoop.com/news/division-ii-moving-get-rid-two-days/

walliver
April 13th, 2017, 08:44 AM
This change will reach D-I within the next few years. It may be FCS first then FBS, or it may be both at once. I don't foresee current trends changing much.

clenz
April 13th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Can't wait for all of the grey haired "manly men" to go "Fuuukin pussays. I walked 47 miles to practice in a billion degree heat at 3AM. I then broke 7 bones per practice and kept going. Water didn't even fuuukin exist when I played. We wore cotton long sleeve uniforms. Fuuukin pussays. I was decapitated at least once a day. We didn't even use stitches to put my fuukin head back on. Manly men blood clots so fast that our head fuuukin reattached itself to the body with in seconds. Didn't even miss a fuuukin play". Practices were 249 hours long. We then got 37 seconds between that and another 249 hour practice in 9 million degree heat. I then walked 57 miles home without shoes on, because my feet fell off from how hard practice was. I then did farm chores for 8 hours, got 3 hours of sleep and did it all over again"

POD Knows
April 13th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Rub some dirt on it you pussies. xlolx

*Insert Uncle Rico POD's story about playing with broken knuckles* :D

Push the bones together, wrap it with some tape, wear a pad for you hand and get back out there. Sounded like a good idea at the time.

POD Knows
April 13th, 2017, 10:44 AM
Can't wait for all of the grey haired "manly men" to go "Fuuukin pussays. I walked 47 miles to practice in a billion degree heat at 3AM. I then broke 7 bones per practice and kept going. Water didn't even fuuukin exist when I played. We wore cotton long sleeve uniforms. Fuuukin pussays. I was decapitated at least once a day. We didn't even use stitches to put my fuukin head back on. Manly men blood clots so fast that our head fuuukin reattached itself to the body with in seconds. Didn't even miss a fuuukin play". Practices were 249 hours long. We then got 37 seconds between that and another 249 hour practice in 9 million degree heat. I then walked 57 miles home without shoes on, because my feet fell off from how hard practice was. I then did farm chores for 8 hours, got 3 hours of sleep and did it all over again"

God, sitting in a car dealership waiting for my vehicle to get fixed and I laughed out loud at this, kind of embarrassing.

BisonFan02
April 13th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Push the bones together, wrap it with some tape, wear a pad for you hand and get back out there. Sounded like a good idea at the time.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5gunpXMrC1qbldd1.gif

Bisonoline
April 13th, 2017, 10:47 AM

How did you know all of that? I didnt think those philosophies made it to your era. xlolx

BisonFan02
April 13th, 2017, 10:48 AM
How did you know all of that? I didnt think those philosophies made it to your era. xlolx

It didnt.....he's just being a ****ing pussy. Harden the **** up clenzy. :D

BisonFan02
April 13th, 2017, 10:50 AM
My right shoulder/elbow are a testament to how little of a **** i gave about my future. xlolx. #liveinthenow

Bisonoline
April 13th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Now D2 is working on the same thing.

http://footballscoop.com/news/division-ii-moving-get-rid-two-days/

All they have to do is give them some extra days to practice so they dont HAVE to jam X amount of practices in to X amount of days.

clenz
April 13th, 2017, 10:54 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5gunpXMrC1qbldd1.gif
I didn't miss a single play in 3 years of starting varsity in high school. I regret none of it, but I probably should have missed at least a play or two.

Between concussions, dislocated fingers, dislocated shoulders, bruised ribs, cuts that most definitely should have been stitched, all of the sprained ankles you can imagine, etc... Pop the finger back in and then throw a punch of tape around it when the offense was on the field. Dislocate a shoulder? Use the ground, or a teammate, to get it mostly back in place and then have the trainer pop it back into place when the offense was on the field. If there was time, throw a spider collar on. Massive cut? steal an arm pad from a teammate to cover it for the series and then throw a roll of tape around it when the offense was on the field.

Break 3 vertibrea in your back during basketball season and get told you need to sit out 2 months to let it heal? F it. Sit out 3 practices and 1 game and start playing again. Then, by age 29 not be able to rotate over your right shoulder because they healed incorrectly and you deal with all of that the rest of your life.

There are many times I "regret" doing things the way I did. Yet, I would not change a single thing I did if I could go do it again

BisonFan02
April 13th, 2017, 11:01 AM
I didn't miss a single play in 3 years of starting varsity in high school. I regret none of it, but I probably should have missed at least a play or two.

Between concussions, dislocated fingers, dislocated shoulders, bruised ribs, cuts that most definitely should have been stitched, all of the sprained ankles you can imagine, etc... Pop the finger back in and then throw a punch of tape around it when the offense was on the field. Dislocate a shoulder? Use the ground, or a teammate, to get it mostly back in place and then have the trainer pop it back into place when the offense was on the field. If there was time, throw a spider collar on. Massive cut? steal an arm pad from a teammate to cover it for the series and then throw a roll of tape around it when the offense was on the field.

Break 3 vertibrea in your back during basketball season and get told you need to sit out 2 months to let it heal? F it. Sit out 3 practices and 1 game and start playing again. Then, by age 29 not be able to rotate over your right shoulder because they healed incorrectly and you deal with all of that the rest of your life.

There are many times I "regret" doing things the way I did. Yet, I would not change a single thing I did if I could go do it again

That's more like it you gray haired SOB! :D

Laker
April 13th, 2017, 11:03 AM

Rode bike three miles one way on gravel. Practice was at 6:30 AM and 6:30 PM. Usually for two hours, rain or shine or skeeters. No water until after practice was done. Yes, we did wear long sleeved cotton jerseys with wool socks. Freshmen would be matched up with seniors. We had to run laps right during practice if we weren't the "winner". When I got home we either baled hay or straw or pulled weeds or cleaned barn. Lucky for me my older brother did chores in the morning, I did them in the late afternoon before practice.

I don't think it was near as bad as what the Junction Boys went through. But I did see some things in that movie that were similar.

BisonFan02
April 13th, 2017, 11:03 AM
I'm on my phone. Someone go cue up a YouTube video with the theme from "The Revenant" to listen to while we reminisce about our boo boos. xlolx

Bisonoline
April 13th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Rode bike three miles one way on gravel. Practice was at 6:30 AM and 6:30 PM. Usually for two hours, rain or shine or skeeters. No water until after practice was done. Yes, we did wear long sleeved cotton jerseys with wool socks. Freshmen would be matched up with seniors. We had to run laps right during practice if we weren't the "winner". When I got home we either baled hay or straw or pulled weeds or cleaned barn. Lucky for me my older brother did chores in the morning, I did them in the late afternoon before practice.

I don't think it was near as bad as what the Junction Boys went through. But I did see some things in that movie that were similar.

Had to bike to practice also.

You got to practice at 6:30pm? Wow our schedule in HS was 8:30-9 am and 3-3:30. HOT!!!!!!! Wool socks, high top cleets, no water breaks, Made us run a mile in full gear right after cal before position breakdown, Then scrimmage followed by wind sprints running the hill or another mile in full gear.

Remember when all of the grass would get worn off the practice field and it would be nothing more than dirt and rocks? Later in the year the ground would freeze. Ouch.

Laker
April 13th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Had to bike to practice also.

You got to practice at 6:30pm? Wow our schedule in HS was 8:30-9 am and 3-3:30. HOT!!!!!!! Wool socks, high top cleets, no water breaks, Made us run a mile in full gear right after cal before position breakdown, Then scrimmage followed by wind sprints running the hill or another mile in full gear.

Remember when all of the grass would get worn off the practice field and it would be nothing more than dirt and rocks? Later in the year the ground would freeze. Ouch.

Forgot about that late in the season. Yep- playing on dirt. Our game field was on the outfield of the baseball field, like the other seven schools in our conference. Unfortunately they had both PE and recess there. It was pretty nasty. Yet Stewart, seven miles east, had the nicest grass in the 212 Conference. They watered it every day and kept kids off of it. Now that they are consolidated with us they plowed it up and raise corn or beans on it.

clenz
April 13th, 2017, 02:16 PM
Right, but I will never bitch about changes made to practice and call the next generation pussies or anything like that. I'm all for changes that result in players/kids limiting the **** they put their body through. Granted, I haven't exactly taken care of myself since I stopped playing football but my body shouldn't feel the pains in the spots the way it does for 29 years old. My mind shouldn't have the memory issues I do at 29

There was no "pushing" me to do that by anyone except me. I had trainers, coaches, and my parents telling me to slow down. I didn't want too.

dgtw
April 13th, 2017, 03:02 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170413/7d79354d6f4148c41c47a16873d7b7b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
April 13th, 2017, 05:21 PM

Pussy

Thumper 76
April 13th, 2017, 05:23 PM

I'm more curious about wtf took time to tape a dislocated finger, or went to the doc to get told how long to sit out :D xlolx

Thumper 76
April 13th, 2017, 05:25 PM

I couldn't believe the changes that happened the year after I graduated hs. ****ers actually got cups to drink water from and a table to set the water jug on. Apparently a parent complained.

cx500d
April 13th, 2017, 08:20 PM
Yes, but that was before Global Warming. We were in the little ice age in those days.

cx500d
April 13th, 2017, 08:22 PM
That was one of the most insightful posts I have seen in a while. There is more information in this one post than all of 88's posts.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170413/7d79354d6f4148c41c47a16873d7b7b4.jpg

Laker
April 14th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Now D1 has gotten involved.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-04-14/college-football-di-council-votes-eliminate-football-two-days

POD Knows
April 14th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Forgot about that late in the season. Yep- playing on dirt. Our game field was on the outfield of the baseball field, like the other seven schools in our conference. Unfortunately they had both PE and recess there. It was pretty nasty. Yet Stewart, seven miles east, had the nicest grass in the 212 Conference. They watered it every day and kept kids off of it. Now that they are consolidated with us they plowed it up and raise corn or beans on it.
We played football on our baseball field as well. Our practices before school started were at 6:30 am and our practice field was a vacant lot across the road from the baseball field and it was full of broken bottles and other ****. It where we threw our empty beer bottles because it was at the end of Main Street where we made our U turns

bonarae
April 14th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Uniformity ensues again... this time to ensure conservatism... xchinscratchx

catamount man
April 14th, 2017, 05:11 PM

Ya never fail me clenz! LOL! Good stuff and I remember 3 a days in hot South Carolina August. In full pads with full contact. Rough.

ASU33
April 14th, 2017, 05:22 PM

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-04-14/college-football-di-council-votes-eliminate-football-two-days

It was only a matter of time

BisonFan02
April 14th, 2017, 06:09 PM
We played football on our baseball field as well. Our practices before school started were at 6:30 am and our practice field was a vacant lot across the road from the baseball field and it was full of broken bottles and other ****. It where we threw our empty beer bottles because it was at the end of Main Street where we made our U turns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czv8J1W4yYU

POD Knows
April 14th, 2017, 06:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czv8J1W4yYU
They piped that music into our football practices

citdog
April 14th, 2017, 06:52 PM
They piped this music into our football practices

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gxg5HWTIAY

Bisonoline
April 14th, 2017, 08:25 PM

Considering that Most schools have separated conditioning and practice itself thats pretty reasonable.