Headed to the AAC

ILS and UNI need to do something relatively quickly

MVC is imploding

GodHelpTheBears
March 31st, 2017, 10:59 AM
Headed to the AAC

MVC is imploding

I think MSU should at least ask about conference membership in somewhere like the Southland.

Times and migration patterns have changed - southwest Missouri now skews toward Texoma as opposed to the Midwest. DFW is the #1 destination for flyers out of SGF. The top two out of state destinations for Ozarks migrants is OKC and DFW. We need to assert ourselves more where there is a natural cultural fit. It's nothing against the other Valley schools, it's a nice region, it just isn't our region.

BisonFan02
March 31st, 2017, 11:26 AM
Headed to the AAC

MVC is imploding

Come to the Summit....make it an all sports league.

clenz
March 31st, 2017, 11:55 AM
Come to the Summit....make it an all sports league.

We'd rather you come this way. As much as I hate The printers in our conference, they have significantly more upside than your Indiana alphabet schools and Oral Roberts and UNO and UMKC and all that.

Thumper 76
March 31st, 2017, 12:09 PM
We'd rather you come this way. As much as I hate The printers in our conference, they have significantly more upside than your Indiana alphabet schools and Oral Roberts and UNO and UMKC and all that.

A lot of SDSU and NDSU folks like to argue how the Summit has been gaining on the MVC outside of WSU and UNI as a reason to stay in the Summit. I think the flaw in that is that's looking at it including the xDSUs in the Summit. Realistically i think that if the MVC takes one then they take both of NDSU and SDSU. So compare the conferences both ways. Summit vs MVC with the xDSUs in the MVC and it isn't close, while it is with them in the Summit. Tells me all I need to know about which conference is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
March 31st, 2017, 12:10 PM

We don't have UMKC anymore...but I'm sure they are on the short list for MVC addition. Media market or something. :D

BisonFan02
March 31st, 2017, 12:11 PM
A lot of SDSU and NDSU folks like to argue how the Summit has been gaining on the MVC outside of WSU and UNI as a reason to stay in the Summit. I think the flaw in that is that's looking at it including the xDSUs in the Summit. Realistically i think that if the MVC takes one then they take both of NDSU and SDSU. So compare the conferences both ways. Summit vs MVC with the xDSUs in the MVC and it isn't close, while it is with them in the Summit. Tells me all I need to know about which conference is better.

That's why you take the MVFC and get rid of most of the chaff.....call it whatever the **** you want.

Thumper 76
March 31st, 2017, 12:12 PM
That's why you take the MVFC and get rid of most of the chaff.....call it whatever the **** you want.

It would be great, but we both know there's no way that happens unfortunately unless something truly catastrophic happens.

BisonFan02
March 31st, 2017, 12:15 PM
It would be great, but we both know there's no way that happens unfortunately unless something truly catastrophic happens.

Its a slow drip.....but it's trending.

Thumper 76
March 31st, 2017, 12:28 PM
Its a slow drip.....but it's trending.

Well that's what the schools would do if they were smart. Would be a much stronger and more stable conference.

BisonFan02
March 31st, 2017, 12:31 PM
Well that's what the schools would do if they were smart. Would be a much stronger and more stable conference.

Too much pride swallowing....but you are right.

Thumper 76
March 31st, 2017, 12:37 PM
Too much pride swallowing....but you are right.

That and half the schools involved (the schools getting booted to the curb) would do everything in their power to make it not happen. They are in a good place right now especially in the MVC riding the coat tails of the schools actually committed to success.

BisonFan02
March 31st, 2017, 12:44 PM
That and half the schools involved (the schools getting booted to the curb) would do everything in their power to make it not happen. They are in a good place right now especially in the MVC riding the coat tails of the schools actually committed to success.

I'm not able to do it now, but I think a "tale of the tape" between the football playing members of both the MVC/Summit versus non and private are in order...

F'N Hawks
March 31st, 2017, 01:17 PM

Get ready for Big Sky-like travel arrangements. No more driving for any NDSU teams, except to Brookings. SDSU could drive to what, UNI and Fargo? This would be for all sports, too.

jacksfan29
March 31st, 2017, 04:05 PM
Drake is closer to SDSU then UNI. Right now SDSU fly to everyone but those on the I29 corridor (NDSU, USD, Omaha (add UND). In the MVC SDSU would drive to UNI, NDSU, Drake so travel really wouldn't change a lot. Travel to MVC schools would be nothing like UND did in the Big Sky. That said, SDSU isn't going anywhere right now and neither is NDSU. Neither will get looked at by the MVC. The privates would have a cow because all the power would lean towards the FB schools. I still think they replace one for one and I don't think Valpo is available any longer. That leaves UMKC. That will be a sad day for a once great conference.

Get ready for Big Sky-like travel arrangements. No more driving for any NDSU teams, except to Brookings. SDSU could drive to what, UNI and Fargo? This would be for all sports, too.

BisonFan02
March 31st, 2017, 04:36 PM
Drake is closer to SDSU then UNI. Right now SDSU fly to everyone but those on the I29 corridor (NDSU, USD, Omaha (add UND). In the MVC SDSU would drive to UNI, NDSU, Drake so travel really wouldn't change a lot. Travel to MVC schools would be nothing like UND did in the Big Sky. That said, SDSU isn't going anywhere right now and neither is NDSU. Neither will get looked at by the MVC. The privates would have a cow because all the power would lean towards the FB schools. I still think they replace one for one and I don't think Valpo is available any longer. That leaves UMKC. That will be a sad day for a once great conference.

Sad day? It's going to be ****ing hilarious. xlolx

FargoBison
March 31st, 2017, 06:56 PM

True, that said UNO isn't so bad but you could add WIU to the list and of course UMKC is gone. WIU might have one of the worst basketball arenas in the country, ORU doesn't have the money they used to(plus they have about five fans at their games but will claim to have had 3,000), IUPUI has no fans and IPFW actually has some support but their facilities are trash.

The Summit is pretty much NDSU and SDSU pulling the plow and dragging the conference upward. USD is kind of getting there as well I guess.

Thumper 76
March 31st, 2017, 07:12 PM
True, that said UNO isn't so bad but you could add WIU to the list and of course UMKC is gone. WIU might have one of the worst basketball arenas in the country, ORU doesn't have the money they used to(plus they have about five fans at their games but will claim to have had 3,000), IUPUI has no fans and IPFW actually has some support but their facilities are trash.

The Summit is pretty much NDSU and SDSU pulling the plow and dragging the conference upward. USD is kind of getting there as well I guess.

This. Everyone is excited about where the Summit is but I don't see enough growth potential left for the schools outside of the Dakotas. Maybe Denver could end up being something, UNO is decent but they have to contend with Nebraska and Creighton. There's still a long way to go to get the Summit to a two bid league and I don't have a lot of confidence in the majority of the league having what it takes to get there. The Dakotas can only draw it upwards so far.

BisonFan02
March 31st, 2017, 08:09 PM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4240837-kolpack-key-departures-closing-gap-between-summit-and-valley

It was around 2008 and 2009 when the tour of North Dakota State football took us around the Missouri Valley Conference. Before heading to the stadium on Saturday mornings, it was always a priority to check out the basketball arenas at Valley members Illinois State, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, Missouri State and Indiana State.

The initial impression was usually the same: NDSU is way out of its league, so to speak, to be a part of the Valley in all sports. Those schools had curb appeal. NDSU had the 1970s Bison Sports Arena.
So here it is several years later and Valley member Wichita State is rumored to be bolting for another conference—and thus the Valley will be searching for another league member or two.
Here's the question: Would NDSU even want to go?

http://airstre.am/dopamine72/Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

FargoBison
March 31st, 2017, 08:18 PM
This. Everyone is excited about where the Summit is but I don't see enough growth potential left for the schools outside of the Dakotas. Maybe Denver could end up being something, UNO is decent but they have to contend with Nebraska and Creighton. There's still a long way to go to get the Summit to a two bid league and I don't have a lot of confidence in the majority of the league having what it takes to get there. The Dakotas can only draw it upwards so far.

Yeah, what some people fail to get is that the XDSU's could join the MVC and help take the league up a level plus schools like UNI and ISUR would help to force us to take our game up a notch.

I like the Summit, it is a fine league and we've made the best of it but I'm not at all sold on it being our ideal league. I'm not saying the MVC is either but in my mind it is a heck of a lot closer.

BisonFan02
March 31st, 2017, 08:28 PM
Alright.....here we go.

The three factions....

MVFC:
UNI
SIU
ISUr
WIU
ISUb
MSU
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND (for this argument)
YSU (punt them since Horizon)

MVC non football (or non scholly)

Loyola
Bradley
Evansville
Drake

Summit Non-Football:

Denver
IUPUI
IPFW
UNO
Oral Roberts

.......*insert jeopardy theme*....

Well....I dunno I guess. xlolx Take the non football schools and add Valpo, Belmont, or whoever you want....call it the PUD festival. Honestly...who's hot to trot anywhere on there.

Insert convo:

Hey MVC! We'll trade you all 4 Dakotas for the privates....but WIU is coming too. All sports league. Deal?

Thundar
April 4th, 2017, 09:09 PM
lol at the MVC brass if they resort to UMKC, that's a trash of a program that nobody in KC cares about, they are in the perfect conference of irrelevant schools in the WAC.

with that it just might mean they are in

GodHelpTheBears
April 5th, 2017, 08:24 AM
lol at the MVC brass if they resort to UMKC, that's a trash of a program that nobody in KC cares about, they are in the perfect conference of irrelevant schools in the WAC.

with that it just might mean they are in

My alma mater would rubber stamp Metropolitan Community College. We have no ambition whatsoever.

Do not rely on us for anything - improving ourselves, improving the conference, voting in a sensible manner...our leaders have no interest in any of those.

Model Citizen
April 5th, 2017, 09:02 AM
Hey MVC! We'll trade you all 4 Dakotas for the privates....but WIU is coming too. All sports league. Deal?

The MVC private schools might take you up on that deal, if they had four good private school partners to form a new conference. I think two of them would have to be Belmont and Valpo.

The odds of such a swap happening, outside of Message Board World, are extraordinarily slim.

Laker
April 5th, 2017, 09:14 AM
The latest Shocker news:

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/aac-preparing-wichita-state-join-league-2017-18/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-basketball

Laker
April 5th, 2017, 01:58 PM
The map on here shows WSU isn't as isolated from the AAC as some people thought.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article142690889.html

Laker
April 5th, 2017, 02:07 PM
ESPN says that the AAC vote will take place on Friday- and it will be for the 2017-18 season.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0641342047298523160-4

dbackjon
April 5th, 2017, 02:29 PM
The map on here shows WSU isn't as isolated from the AAC as some people thought.

Yup - Tulsa is close, and Dallas isn't much further than Wichita's closest MVC school - Mo St

Thundar
April 5th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Vote is just a formality I would say, its all but done

jacksfan29
April 6th, 2017, 10:25 AM
By people do you mean many fans of other MVC schools? I find it funny just how angry some are. I guess when you rely on a conference mate to help fund your athletic department through NCAA tourney shares their departure is going to upset you. WSU are making a great move for their school.

The MVC now need to make the right move for the MVC. Of course now I read that Grand Canyon may be in the mix of schools the MVC look at to replace WSU. Let me get this straight. The MVC look down on SDSU and NDSU, we aren't good enough but think Grand Canyon, Omaha and UMKC might be good fits? Maybe it is time for the two XDSU's to begin looking at our options outside of the MVFC. I'm not real sure I'm comfortable any more with the MVFC schools that aren't in the Summit. Sitting around and hoping that UNI, ISUr, SIU, ISUb and MSU do the right thing may not be an option any longer.

dbackjon
April 6th, 2017, 11:14 AM
By people do you mean many fans of other MVC schools? I find it funny just how angry some are. I guess when you rely on a conference mate to help fund your athletic department through NCAA tourney shares their departure is going to upset you. WSU are making a great move for their school.

The MVC now need to make the right move for the MVC. Of course now I read that Grand Canyon may be in the mix of schools the MVC look at to replace WSU. Let me get this straight. The MVC look down on SDSU and NDSU, we aren't good enough but think Grand Canyon, Omaha and UMKC might be good fits? Maybe it is time for the two XDSU's to begin looking at our options outside of the MVFC. I'm not real sure I'm comfortable any more with the MVFC schools that aren't in the Summit. Sitting around and hoping that UNI, ISUr, SIU, ISUb and MSU do the right thing may not be an option any longer.

Who mentioned GCU?

OSBF
April 6th, 2017, 11:23 AM
GCU throws a poopton of cash at their athletics
Good coaches, good facilities
A program on the up-trend

The MVC could do worse

RabidRabbit
April 6th, 2017, 11:36 AM

The MVC could do worse

Great Match for the footprint of the MVC! xdrunkyxxdrunkyxxlmaox

jacksfan29
April 6th, 2017, 11:43 AM
http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_college_sports/isu_sports/todd-aaron-golden-your-guide-to-potential-mvc-targets/article_f8512054-6d1f-56e1-a8f1-3bd8e4bf620c.html?ta_sso=458573d85b1a222f2f572b0f0 97ab672_58e5c5ff_749

Golden has stated this is not an official list, but he has stated sources have confirmed that GCU are very interested and have contacted the MVC, and that GCU want in and will pay a lot of money to get in. Knowing the desperate money situation of many MVC schools, who knows. They may bite so they can continue to have someone else help fund their athletic departments.

As for your assertion that GCU is a good candidate to replace WSU. A for profit school still transitioning to D1 located in Phoenix Arizona. Really? Are you going to begin looking into adding the University of Phoenix soon? Denver left the WAC, one big reason was that they did not want to be associated with GCU. I can tell you SDSU would never join a conference with GCU as a member. USD, UND, NDSU? Not one would join up with GCU. If that's the feeling ISUr fans have, go for it. I'm sure they could fund one heck of a BB program and take over the WSU slot in the Valley.

As I said, maybe it is time for the more financially stable XDSU's to begin looking at our options away from the MVFC.

The MVC could do worse

clenz
April 6th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Who mentioned GCU?
No one with actual information

jacksfan29
April 6th, 2017, 01:42 PM
About as much information as I've seen anywhere else. I doubt it happens, but I find it funny that I continue to see MVC fans rip, as not worthy SDSU and NDSU yet we see names like Omaha, UMKC, GCU, UNK, ORU and others bandied about. Pretty impressive group of schools some MVC fans are interested in.

As I said, we shall see what the MVC does. But the idea that the two larger and more financially stable XDSU's are not worthy is becoming more and more laughable by the minute.

No one with actual information

clenz
April 6th, 2017, 02:43 PM
About as much information as I've seen anywhere else. I doubt it happens, but I find it funny that I continue to see MVC fans rip, as not worthy SDSU and NDSU yet we see names like Omaha, UMKC, GCU, UNK, ORU and others bandied about. Pretty impressive group of schools some MVC fans are interested in.

As I said, we shall see what the MVC does. But the idea that the two larger and more financially stable XDSU's are not worthy is becoming more and more laughable by the minute.
Those names aren't bandied about by anyone.

Who wants UNO? Show me a post.
UMKC? Not one fan has said "Gimme them"
The first time anyone had heard GCU thrown about was today.
UNK? They are a hard no, but they appear to be a long term potential good move - but not right now.
ORU? They were involved the last time around by the league office and the entirety of the conference - fans and admins - made that a resounding hell no.

BisonFan02
April 6th, 2017, 04:05 PM
http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_college_sports/isu_sports/todd-aaron-golden-your-guide-to-potential-mvc-targets/article_f8512054-6d1f-56e1-a8f1-3bd8e4bf620c.html?ta_sso=458573d85b1a222f2f572b0f0 97ab672_58e5c5ff_749

Golden has stated this is not an official list, but he has stated sources have confirmed that GCU are very interested and have contacted the MVC, and that GCU want in and will pay a lot of money to get in. Knowing the desperate money situation of many MVC schools, who knows. They may bite so they can continue to have someone else help fund their athletic departments.

As for your assertion that GCU is a good candidate to replace WSU. A for profit school still transitioning to D1 located in Phoenix Arizona. Really? Are you going to begin looking into adding the University of Phoenix soon? Denver left the WAC, one big reason was that they did not want to be associated with GCU. I can tell you SDSU would never join a conference with GCU as a member. USD, UND, NDSU? Not one would join up with GCU. If that's the feeling ISUr fans have, go for it. I'm sure they could fund one heck of a BB program and take over the WSU slot in the Valley.

As I said, maybe it is time for the more financially stable XDSU's to begin looking at our options away from the MVFC.

Summit League Football

jacksfan29
April 6th, 2017, 06:22 PM
Do I really need to pull all the posts from MVCfans, fan boards for Illinois State, Indiana State, Missouri State, even a couple from UNI's own board discussing Omaha, UMKC and, a few times ORU.

How about the Evansville beat writer,
Daniel Allar‏Verified account @ECP_Allar Apr 5 (https://twitter.com/ECP_Allar/status/849710384940494848) Replying to @Superbiomed (https://twitter.com/Superbiomed)
Nothing solid. Nebraska-Omaha, Valpo, Belmont have been mentioned. SLU would fit geographically if willing to downgrade in MBB from A-10.

Omaha's name has come up all over the place, including from Dennis Dodd at CBS Sports. You know, Omaha. With a basketball budget that barely passed the $1 million mark last season. You may not want to talk about those schools but a lot of others do. Oh, as for the tweet from the Evansville beat writer. Belmont is not joining the MVC. They turned you down when Wichita was there. Why would they come now?

Unless it has an adverse affect on SDSU, and the Summit in general, which it will but hopefully we can just off load IUPUI to the Horizon. I don't really care who the MVC add. And I didn't expect the two XDSU's to be in the discussion, the privates (and some publics) would never allow it. But all the, SDSU and NDSU are not worthy, not successful enough (SDSU, 86 RPI average the last 6 years, NDSU nipping on our heels) 4 NCAA and one NIT appearance in the past 6 years, not enough financial stability, not enough success or prestige... seriously, funny stuff considering the make up of Valley schools.

Those names aren't bandied about by anyone.

Who wants UNO? Show me a post.
UMKC? Not one fan has said "Gimme them"
The first time anyone had heard GCU thrown about was today.
UNK? They are a hard no, but they appear to be a long term potential good move - but not right now.
ORU? They were involved the last time around by the league office and the entirety of the conference - fans and admins - made that a resounding hell no.

Thundar
April 6th, 2017, 09:46 PM
god I love message boards

BisonFan02
April 6th, 2017, 09:53 PM
god I love message boards

http://www.mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4666

Something about bus trips, media markets, and foosball is the devil. xlolx

Laker
April 7th, 2017, 08:43 AM
UC-San Diego was turned down by the Big West. I suppose next they will apply for the WAC. If this Wichita State vote goes through today- and it looks like it will- there might be some moves at the mid-major level.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-ucsd-20170406-story.html

clenz
April 7th, 2017, 09:26 AM
UC-San Diego was turned down by the Big West. I suppose next they will apply for the WAC. If this Wichita State vote goes through today- and it looks like it will- there might be some moves at the mid-major level.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-ucsd-20170406-story.html
I expect, within the next few years another shift put in motion by the Big East

The Big East will end it's anti-public stance.

UCONN will be added to the Big East.
VCU will either replace UCONN on the AAC or join them in the Big East - depending on what happens with Cinci and the B12.

What I see is

UCONN/VCU to the Big East
Cinci to the B12 (hahaha...eat **** WSU. You're new conference is you and then Tulane, Tulsa, USF, ECU, USF, Temple, Memphis and Houston. Essentially, not all that different from the MVC.

This causes a shift in the A10. I think we see a reshuffle within the Horizon, A10, and MVC.

I could see the A10 grabbing Bradely and UNI from the MVC to fill their spots if they want them filled
The MVC and Horizon then go through a series of moves to reform as whatever they reform as.

F'N Hawks
April 7th, 2017, 10:16 AM
The MVC isn't desperate enough to take Denver, are they? If they want a hockey school that bad I got another one they can look into while they're at it......

clenz
April 7th, 2017, 10:19 AM
The MVC isn't desperate enough to take Denver, are they? If they want a hockey school that bad I got another one they can look into while they're at it......
Denver was told to get bent in 2013.

They were looked at, but they sponsor like 3 MVC sports and none of the "core" sports. They were told that if invited they would need to sponsor at least 5 mens and 5 womens MVC sports and a few were non-negotiable. They said "No". The MVC said "Okay, enjoy"

Basically, this 9 second clip sums up how that went

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=praFGD51ih8

F'N Hawks
April 7th, 2017, 10:33 AM
Denver was told to get bent in 2013.

They were looked at, but they sponsor like 3 MVC sports and none of the "core" sports. They were told that if invited they would need to sponsor at least 5 mens and 5 womens MVC sports and a few were non-negotiable. They said "No". The MVC said "Okay, enjoy"

Basically, this 9 second clip sums up how that went

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=praFGD51ih8

:D I obviously never looked at what they offer but kept seeing their name pop up. Yah, doesn't make alot of sense.

clenz
April 7th, 2017, 10:42 AM
:D I obviously never looked at what they offer but kept seeing their name pop up. Yah, doesn't make alot of sense.
Things may have changed, but UD wasn't willing to put resources into sports the MVC considers "core" so it wasn't going to happen.

Laker
April 7th, 2017, 01:09 PM
It is official: WSU is added to the AAC. What does the MVC do next?

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/04/07/aac-conference-adds-wichita-state-shockers

BisonFan02
April 7th, 2017, 02:13 PM
It is official: WSU is added to the AAC. What does the MVC do next?

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/04/07/aac-conference-adds-wichita-state-shockers

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/washington-state-fan-popcorn.gif

jacksfan29
April 7th, 2017, 03:22 PM
I see the new rumor, which seems to have legs is Valpo and Murray State get an invite to the MVC. Since both will likely take it. Let's talk FB. Does Murray get into the MVFC? Magic 8 ball says YES based on the MVC schools allowing us to add UND. Guess what that means. We split east v west, fun fun fun.

West

SDSU
NDSU
UND
USD
UNI
MSU

East

YSU
Illinois State
Indiana State
SIU
Murray St
Western

Discuss amongst yourselves, and UNI fans, please commence the whining. Your FB program is about to get hosed by your fellow MVC brothers.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/04/07/aac-conference-adds-wichita-state-shockers[/QUOTE]

clenz
April 7th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Murray State stays OVC for football.

MSU staying football keeps the OVC at 9 football members - the perfect number.

Forcing Murray State out means they ALL have to find another OOC game.

jacksfan29
April 7th, 2017, 03:25 PM
Things may have changed, but UD wasn't willing to put resources into sports the MVC considers "core" so it wasn't going to happen.

DU, its a Colorado thing. University of Denver (DU), University of Colorado (CU). And no, DU will NEVER add sports unless it is for a conference they want to be in (WCC). Hockey, LAX rule and Skiing will never go away.

jacksfan29
April 7th, 2017, 03:34 PM
The OVC will want to find a 12th for basketball. If they pick up a FB school say bye bye to Murray, "you can stay with us" invite. I would be shocked if Murray does not join the MVC the same year as UND. Everyone wondered why the UND, MVFC invite was pushed back. We may have our answer. It isn't like the MVC didn't know Wichita were intending to leave. Adding UND, after the MVC schools fought it so hard may have been a sign of things to come.

Murray State stays OVC for football.

MSU staying football keeps the OVC at 9 football members - the perfect number.

Forcing Murray State out means they ALL have to find another OOC game.

F'N Hawks
April 7th, 2017, 05:48 PM
The OVC will want to find a 12th for basketball. If they pick up a FB school say bye bye to Murray, "you can stay with us" invite. I would be shocked if Murray does not join the MVC the same year as UND. Everyone wondered why the UND, MVFC invite was pushed back. We may have our answer. It isn't like the MVC didn't know Wichita were intending to leave. Adding UND, after the MVC schools fought it so hard may have been a sign of things to come.

They all fought it really hard, boy. Or the MVC don't have any pull. Or both.

GodHelpTheBears
April 7th, 2017, 06:23 PM
I see the new rumor, which seems to have legs is Valpo and Murray State get an invite to the MVC. Since both will likely take it. Let's talk FB. Does Murray get into the MVFC? Magic 8 ball says YES based on the MVC schools allowing us to add UND. Guess what that means. We split east v west, fun fun fun.

West

SDSU
NDSU
UND
USD
UNI
MSU

East

YSU
Illinois State
Indiana State
SIU
Murray St
Western

Discuss amongst yourselves, and UNI fans, please commence the whining. Your FB program is about to get hosed by your fellow MVC brothers.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/04/07/aac-conference-adds-wichita-state-shockers[/QUOTE]

We would unquestionably have the toughest schedule in FCS this season - 10 MVFC opponents? Maybe the toughest schedule in this history of this division. xthumbsupx

More seriously, I don't think it matters from our end who joins the Valley because it is abundantly obvious that we don't have the donor base to compete even in a weakened MVC. Passing the buck on Lusk (who is not on an exorbitant salary in the first place) proves it.

While entropy takes hold around us, our leadership has entered a strange Brezhnev-like torpor. They've already lost one generation of fans. I question our school's ability to remain in Division I long term.

Laker
April 8th, 2017, 08:23 AM
Is Valpo coming to the MVC?

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/valparaiso-reportedly-in-consideration-for-missouri-valley/article_0de463b5-3af0-5a3c-8520-a03a48c76901.html

clenz
April 8th, 2017, 10:40 AM
It's either going to be one of, or all 3 of, Valpo, Murray State and Belmont

Belmont is the run away solo addition choice. If Belmont agrees to come solo for a 10 member league we stop there.

If Belmont says "We join but only at X teams or if X teams come alone they valley goes to X teams with those teams.

If Belmont says "no way no how" it's deciding if one of Valpo and Murray is good enough in its own or finding another 3rd to pair with them.

There was a rumor of running an 11 team league with a 20 game schedule. Pros and cons to that but sounds like that is not an actual option right now

The rumor, going back to 2013, is that Belmont was/still is the first choice but have always said "nope". However, one of the MVC beat writers (that is actually good and connected) sent a tweet out last night that apparently "Belmont wants in...badly"

The ideal set up is all 3 of Murray State, Valpo and Belmont with an 18 game schedule.

Travel partners work out great - until MSU realizes they don't "fit in" anymore and goes to their rightful home of the Southland or even Summit. Summit would be nice because of keeping MVFC football. Travel partners would be

Drake/MSU
UNI/BU
LU/VAL
ISU/ISU
SIU/MURRAY
UE/BEL

Keeps women's costs down. It also allows for development of some real good rivalries, and old rivalries to be brought back to life. When MSU leaves UNI/Drake become partners and chances are the new 12 is also regional and can easily be shifted in.

Playing an 18 game schedule would allow the MVC to "play the RPI" and create better home schedules for top teams. By allowing projected top teams to avoid a couple games against the projected bottom you start to create RPI insulation. It would also allow for rivalries to be played twice and "non rivals" to still get to play each other but not take away from more traditional rival games

So for a school like UNI the schedule would be

2x- IlSU, MSU, BEL, BU, LU, DU
H- Murray, InSU
A- VALPO, UE

Valpo may be better for UNIs RPI than Drake BUT UNI Drake games are great. Always full. Always intense (at least at the start). The fan bases don't entirely get along. Drake thinks they are Creighton and far superior, in every way to UNI. UNI fans see Drake for who they are.

We also likely come out a head in terms of conference RPI than where we had been with WSU. As I've said, the secret to conference RPI isn't necessarily having one or two really highly rated teams. It's not having boat anchors and if you do have them hide them from the top teams. By limiting boat anchors everyone sees an RPI shift up.

The wildcard in all this is SLU. They won't happen, but they'd be a great addition for a variety of reasons.

Laker
April 8th, 2017, 01:38 PM
UMKC wants in.........

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/umkc/article143330799.html

clenz
April 8th, 2017, 01:41 PM
UMKC wants in.........

And I want a six pack and a million dollars.

Laker
April 8th, 2017, 01:50 PM
This list of MVC candidates is about as long as the Bachelor search by the Big 12 last year.

http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_college_sports/isu_sports/todd-aaron-golden-your-guide-to-potential-mvc-targets/article_f8512054-6d1f-56e1-a8f1-3bd8e4bf620c.html

FargoBison
April 8th, 2017, 02:02 PM
UMKC wants in.........

Wilson estimates that UMKC spends about 20 percent of its budget on travel for its teams, and “it would be great” if somehow the Kangaroos could cut that in half by moving into a conference where most of its members are in the Midwest.
“The WAC is every competitive and that’s been a plus for all of our teams,” Wilson said. “The travel is a challenge with the missed class time, and the dollars associated with travel a time when the University of Missouri system is facing cuts.”

I'm old enough to remember UMKC being in a Midwest conference and I also remember laughing at their claims that it would save them money by leaving it.

BisonFan02
April 8th, 2017, 04:33 PM
This list of MVC candidates is about as long as the Bachelor search by the Big 12 last year.

http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_college_sports/isu_sports/todd-aaron-golden-your-guide-to-potential-mvc-targets/article_f8512054-6d1f-56e1-a8f1-3bd8e4bf620c.html

That list warms the cockles of my heart...and chortle a bit.

TheKingpin28
April 8th, 2017, 04:35 PM
If Murray State were to join both conferences, keyword is if, that whole 3 pod idea for the conference would not be horrible. All SOS positions based off of Sagarin including ALL D1 Teams in () and Massey Ratings in []

Dakotas: Composite of (377) [49]
NDSU (44) [2]
SDSU (82) [5]
UND (115) [20]
USD (136) [22]

Central: Composite of (538) [103]
UNI (95) [10]
ISUr (110) [17]
SIU (148) [30]
Missery State (185) [46]

East: Composite of (575) [121]
YSU (67) [3]
WIU (135) [18]
ISUb (174) [33]
Murray State (199) [67]

Yes, I realize Western is more west than ISUr, but UNI would demand to have them in the pod. Looking at the ranks it is solid for 2 of the 3 pods, however, as usual the XDSUs will end up getting bent in half. So what if we moved Missery State into a new pod called the "west" shifted Murray State into the "central" as well as USeD and moved SIU into the "east?

West: Composite of (426) [73]
NDSU (44) [2]
SDSU (82) [5]
UND (115) [20]
Missery State (185) [46]

Central: Composite of (540) [126]
UNI (95) [10]
ISUr (110) [17]
USD (136) [22]
Murray State (199) [67]

East: Composite of (524) [84]
YSU (67) [3]
WIU (135) [18]
SIU (148) [30]
ISUb (174) [33]

Well we got closer to parity, however, keeping the XDSUs together still hurts the west. SO, what if we radicalize the pods to create parity? We will keep 1 traveling partner with each school to ensure that 1 rivalry will remain so that schools will still bitch about traveling, but rivalries just do not disappear.

West: Composite of (480) [90]
NDSU (44) [2]
UND (115) [20]
USD (136) [22]
Missery State (185) [46]

Central: Composite of (486) [99]
SDSU (82) [5]
UNI (95) [10]
ISUr (110) [17]
Murray State (199) [67]

YSU (67) [3]
WIU (135) [18]
SIU (148) [30]
ISUb (174) [33]

This would be as close to parity as parity comes. The main problem is, based off of last season 2 pods have dumpster fires of Football schools, so to make up for it, the East has to take teams #10 and #9 to make up for the #11 and #12. So based off of this the "West" gets the #1, 7, 8, 11. The "Central" gets the #3, 4, 5, 12. The "East" gets the #2, 6, 9, 10. This would, in theory, create ideal parity in the league and still maintain rivalries.

Again, all of this is hypothetical, but if they decide to with 12 teams for football, dividing east vs west would be a travesty but going into 4 team pods would ensure that each division would have to be tested and not give, say a team like YSU a walk into the playoffs and force the XDSUs to be beaten up come December.

BisonFan02
April 8th, 2017, 04:38 PM
If Murray State were to join both conferences, keyword is if, that whole 3 pod idea for the conference would not be horrible. All SOS positions based off of Sagarin including ALL D1 Teams in () and Massey Ratings in []

Dakotas: Composite of (377) [49]
NDSU (44) [2]
SDSU (82) [5]
UND (115) [20]
USD (136) [22]

Central: Composite of (538) [103]
UNI (95) [10]
ISUr (110) [17]
SIU (148) [30]
Missery State (185) [46]

East: Composite of (575) [121]
YSU (67) [3]
WIU (135) [18]
ISUb (174) [33]
Murray State (199) [67]

Yes, I realize Western is more west than ISUr, but UNI would demand to have them in the pod. Looking at the ranks it is solid for 2 of the 3 pods, however, as usual the XDSUs will end up getting bent in half. So what if we moved Missery State into a new pod called the "west" shifted Murray State into the "central" as well as USeD and moved SIU into the "east?

West: Composite of (426) [73]
NDSU (44) [2]
SDSU (82) [5]
UND (115) [20]
Missery State (185) [46]

Central: Composite of (540) [126]
UNI (95) [10]
ISUr (110) [17]
USD (136) [22]
Murray State (199) [67]

YSU (67) [3]
WIU (135) [18]
SIU (148) [30]
ISUb (174) [33]

Well we got closer to parity, however, keeping the XDSUs together still hurts the west. SO, what if we radicalize the pods to create parity? We will keep 1 traveling partner with each school to ensure that 1 rivalry will remain so that schools will still bitch about traveling, but rivalries just do not disappear.

West: Composite of (480) [90]
NDSU (44) [2]
UND (115) [20]
USD (136) [22]
Missery State (185) [46]

Central: Composite of (486) [99]
SDSU (82) [5]
UNI (95) [10]
ISUr (110) [17]
Murray State (199) [67]

YSU (67) [3]
WIU (135) [18]
SIU (148) [30]
ISUb (174) [33]

This would be as close to parity as parity comes. The main problem is, based off of last season 2 pods have dumpster fires of Football schools, so to make up for it, the East has to take teams #10 and #9 to make up for the #11 and #12. So based off of this the "West" gets the #1, 7, 8, 11. The "Central" gets the #3, 4, 5, 12. The "East" gets the #2, 6, 9, 10. This would, in theory, create ideal parity in the league and still maintain rivalries.

Again, all of this is hypothetical, but if they decide to with 12 teams for football, dividing east vs west would be a travesty but going into 4 team pods would ensure that each division would have to be tested and not give, say a team like YSU a walk into the playoffs and force the XDSUs to be beaten up come December.

no

TheKingpin28
April 8th, 2017, 04:41 PM
no

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/i-send-a-long-meaningful-text-you-reply-with-one-word-answers-****-you.jpg

#muhfeelsrightmeow xlolx

TheKingpin28
April 8th, 2017, 04:42 PM
no

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24837&stc=1

#muhfeelsrightmeow xlolx

BisonFan02
April 8th, 2017, 05:02 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24837&stc=1

#muhfeelsrightmeow xlolx

tough

TheKingpin28
April 8th, 2017, 05:11 PM
tough

Why are you doing this to me?

clenz
April 8th, 2017, 05:36 PM

He states there that that isn't the list.

That's simply a "users guide" to any name you may hear.

GodHelpTheBears
April 8th, 2017, 05:42 PM
UMKC wants in.........

There are many aspects of my life that make me want a creme de bleach cocktail. No need to pile on

BisonFan02
April 8th, 2017, 07:12 PM
Why are you doing this to me?

I don't know. xlolx

#summitleaguefootball

BisonFan02
April 8th, 2017, 07:13 PM
He states there that that isn't the list.

That's simply a "users guide" to any name you may hear.

Who's missing?

TheKingpin28
April 8th, 2017, 07:29 PM
I don't know. xlolx

#summitleaguefootball

Are you sure?

BisonFan02
April 8th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Are you sure?

Positive.

TheKingpin28
April 8th, 2017, 08:29 PM
Positive.

Alright.

clenz
April 8th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Who's missing?

No. It's a list of everyone you may hear/read on social media. It's not "the list", which is significantly smaller. The real list involves a few of those but it's only a small handful getting consideration

BisonFan02
April 8th, 2017, 09:31 PM
No. It's a list of everyone you may hear/read on social media. It's not "the list", which is significantly smaller. The real list involves a few of those but it's only a small handful getting consideration

Ok.....so that list is all inclusive of the real possibilities plus the obvious "hard noes" like the Dakotas, etc?

BisonFan02
April 8th, 2017, 09:31 PM
Alright.

Good. :D

TheKingpin28
April 8th, 2017, 11:36 PM
Good. :D

#MakeSummitLeagueGreatAgain

OSBF
April 10th, 2017, 08:10 AM
MVC at a major crossroad here

This needs to be done right

F'N Hawks
April 10th, 2017, 09:02 AM
#MakeSummitLeagueGreatAgain

They already did that in January. xdrunkyx

jacksfan29
April 10th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Ok.....so that list is all inclusive of the real possibilities plus the obvious "hard noes" like the Dakotas, etc?

The time is coming when we need to start looking at moving away from the MVC football playing schools. They are stagnant and things are not going to improve. UNI are a great example. I keep reading some UNI fans touting a MAC, or even funnier, a Mountain West move. Better find a sugar daddy, I could see UNI in the PFL before moving to a G5 conference.

One of my favorite UNI articles, which does a good job of telling the story.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/education/2017/01/18/lawmaker-renews-call-ui-isu-cover-unis-athletics-shortfall/96717336/

I'm sure Clenz can come tell all of us that the budget issues at UNI aren't real. How many decades have UNI been D1? Hasn't the time for them to get their financial crap together come and gone?

clenz
April 10th, 2017, 01:35 PM
The time is coming when we need to start looking at moving away from the MVC football playing schools. They are stagnant and things are not going to improve. UNI are a great example. I keep reading some UNI fans touting a MAC, or even funnier, a Mountain West move. Better find a sugar daddy, I could see UNI in the PFL before moving to a G5 conference.

One of my favorite UNI articles, which does a good job of telling the story.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/education/2017/01/18/lawmaker-renews-call-ui-isu-cover-unis-athletics-shortfall/96717336/

I'm sure Clenz can come tell all of us that the budget issues at UNI aren't real. How many decades have UNI been D1? Hasn't the time for them to get their financial crap together come and gone?
1.Quote and link the post calling for a Mountain West move.

2. That "call for action" was by a lawmaker from Ocyehdan, IA. Do you know where that's at? About 4 hours NW of UNI and significantly closer to SDSU and USD. AAMF it's about an hour from the SD border. I know that area well. I grew up there. Well, not in Ocheydan, but they were in my conference in HS.

3. Everyone associated with UNI said that was a dumb thing to do - just as they did a few years ago when he tried to do the same thing. He isn't connected to UNI in any way. He didn't go to UNI. He didn't send kids to UNI. None of it. It was simply a misplaced attempt at correcting state issues

4. In that article it states that UNI's money that they are allowed to get from the state is capped at 2.4 percent of the general fund. Half of that money goes to scholarships - which means it is paid directly back to the state.

5. This is all an issue because, as I pointed out, back before the Big 10 Network and B12 payouts existed both Iowa and Iowa State were on state money - hard. Tens of millions of dollars per year between the two. Turns out the B10 and B12 can work better TV deals. The past decade has simply been UNI lobbying for a more proportional access to funding based on the number of students from the state of Iowa that attend UNI compared to Iowa and Iowa State. UNI's enrollment is over 90% Iowa students. Something like 75% of UNI graduates stay in the state of Iowa post graduation and are tax payers in the state of Iowa. Yet, even proportionally, UNI isn't given "equal" share of state money. Iowa and Iowa State attract more out of state students. Yet the BOR has refused to "equally" distribute based on that.

6. Sure, budget issues are real. They are real everywhere. If they weren't why would NDSU and UND be cutting budgets, not filling positions within their university, cutting sports, etc...? If they weren't an issue the renovation of Frost Arena would already be started/completed. You'd be able to pay your coaches more. Budget issues exsist at all but maybe 60 or 70 of the 351 division 1 schools in America. It's just easy to blow up the issues in the state of Iowa, beyond what they are, because the only place to compare UNI too is Iowa and Iowa State.

It's cute that you pretend to know anything about UNI or the state of Iowa. You live in Colorado, right? Pretty tough to actually know what's going on in Iowa from out there. Especially when the news you're getting is being written, and published, by papers that know the things that get clicks are Iowa, Iowa State and finding ways to slam UNI.

Again, UNI is using less state money every single year - has been for nearly a decade now. Donations are going up every year. Ticket revenue up ever year. Merchandising up every year. Hell, Most recent numbers have SDSU with over 50% of their budget subsidized by student fees and other school funds (8,259,982). The difference in % UNI gets from subsidies and SDSU is less than 2%.

jacksfan29
April 11th, 2017, 09:51 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2017/03/29/q-justin-sell-state-sdsu-athletics/99764622/

May I suggest you read the interview with Sell, and ask yourself which school is in better financial shape going forward. The one that is relatively new to D1, is growing and is taking a decreasing amount of subsidies every year? Or the one who has been in D1 for decades and is still having funding discussions/issues. The school who has experienced increased enrollment every year for the past decade or the one that now sits at just over 10,000 students and plays third fiddle in the state of Iowa. I don't care if I live in Colorado. Facts are facts and though UNI may be in better shape (relatively speaking) then the Illinois schools, I'll take the SDSU situation over the UNI situation any day of the week.

SDSU and NDSU are just not worthy according to UNI fans. Not enough commitment to a strong athletic department, not enough success (what was UNI's record in the Mid Con?) and not enough prestige (because all those MVC schools are SO PRESTIGIOUS). Funny stuff. The hammer will fall on the MVC in the next 5 years and reality will begin to set in. Once the more successful, and recently departed WSU (and prior CU) NCAA money dries up the conference will begin to break up as the eastern block move on to the Horizon and OVC and in the case of ISUb, likely drop FB or go non-scholarship. That will leave the western schools to find their way, alone. I guess by then UNI will be in the MWC, right? Or is it the MAC? You do have that wrestling connection. Of course SDSU and NDSU have a wrestling connection to the Big 12 but I doubt we get an invite any time soon. UNI are stuck. You aren't going anywhere but possibly the PFL. Your opportunity for growth has passed you by.

2. That "call for action" was by a lawmaker from Ocyehdan, IA. Do you know where that's at? About 4 hours NW of UNI and significantly closer to SDSU and USD. AAMF it's about an hour from the SD border. I know that area well. I grew up there. Well, not in Ocheydan, but they were in my conference in HS.

3. Everyone associated with UNI said that was a dumb thing to do - just as they did a few years ago when he tried to do the same thing. He isn't connected to UNI in any way. He didn't go to UNI. He didn't send kids to UNI. None of it. It was simply a misplaced attempt at correcting state issues

4. In that article it states that UNI's money that they are allowed to get from the state is capped at 2.4 percent of the general fund. Half of that money goes to scholarships - which means it is paid directly back to the state.

5. This is all an issue because, as I pointed out, back before the Big 10 Network and B12 payouts existed both Iowa and Iowa State were on state money - hard. Tens of millions of dollars per year between the two. Turns out the B10 and B12 can work better TV deals. The past decade has simply been UNI lobbying for a more proportional access to funding based on the number of students from the state of Iowa that attend UNI compared to Iowa and Iowa State. UNI's enrollment is over 90% Iowa students. Something like 75% of UNI graduates stay in the state of Iowa post graduation and are tax payers in the state of Iowa. Yet, even proportionally, UNI isn't given "equal" share of state money. Iowa and Iowa State attract more out of state students. Yet the BOR has refused to "equally" distribute based on that.

6. Sure, budget issues are real. They are real everywhere. If they weren't why would NDSU and UND be cutting budgets, not filling positions within their university, cutting sports, etc...? If they weren't an issue the renovation of Frost Arena would already be started/completed. You'd be able to pay your coaches more. Budget issues exsist at all but maybe 60 or 70 of the 351 division 1 schools in America. It's just easy to blow up the issues in the state of Iowa, beyond what they are, because the only place to compare UNI too is Iowa and Iowa State.

It's cute that you pretend to know anything about UNI or the state of Iowa. You live in Colorado, right? Pretty tough to actually know what's going on in Iowa from out there. Especially when the news you're getting is being written, and published, by papers that know the things that get clicks are Iowa, Iowa State and finding ways to slam UNI.

Again, UNI is using less state money every single year - has been for nearly a decade now. Donations are going up every year. Ticket revenue up ever year. Merchandising up every year. Hell, Most recent numbers have SDSU with over 50% of their budget subsidized by student fees and other school funds (8,259,982). The difference in % UNI gets from subsidies and SDSU is less than 2%.

Thumper 76
April 11th, 2017, 11:42 AM

Ocheyden is farther than a hour from the SD border, but in context of the conversation not enough to be a big difference, your point still stands.

Your numbers on the subsidies are off according to our AD Sell in the interview that 29 posted. It's all the way down to around 30%. We have kept our subsidies at the same number since we moved up but doubled our budgetfrom $10 mil a year to $20. That's not near a sign of financial instability last time I checked. We have built over $120 million in new athletic facilities and will be breaking ground very soon on the first stages of the Frost renovation. To reference that particular project as a sign of budget woes is stupid. As well as referencing our coaches salaries. We have been upping most every major sports salaries as we go, most recently when we hired Otz but also soon to be Bono if he isn't hired away by Pitt. We have been fortunate to have Stig so we haven't had to go crazy on our football salary for the HC, but after reading Sells interview I'm fairly certain we are very ready for what we will have to pay to get a good replacement for him when he retires.

Realistically our biggest budget problem has been phasing in FCOA, but when your doing something along the lines of $140 mil in physical buildings, that takes a little time to do properly. Overall our athletic department has advanced light years in most every way since we jumped to DI with little none of the little advantages the BOR gave USeD to try to help them catch up.

As far as the MVC things, it's going to be very interesting to see how it plays out.

clenz
April 11th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Ocheyden is farther than a hour from the SD border, but in context of the conversation not enough to be a big difference, your point still stands.

Your numbers on the subsidies are off according to our AD Sell in the interview that 29 posted. It's all the way down to around 30%. We have kept our subsidies at the same number since we moved up but doubled our budgetfrom $10 mil a year to $20. That's not near a sign of financial instability last time I checked. We have built over $120 million in new athletic facilities and will be breaking ground very soon on the first stages of the Frost renovation. To reference that particular project as a sign of budget woes is stupid. As well as referencing our coaches salaries. We have been upping most every major sports salaries as we go, most recently when we hired Otz but also soon to be Bono if he isn't hired away by Pitt. We have been fortunate to have Stig so we haven't had to go crazy on our football salary for the HC, but after reading Sells interview I'm fairly certain we are very ready for what we will have to pay to get a good replacement for him when he retires.

Realistically our biggest budget problem has been phasing in FCOA, but when your doing something along the lines of $140 mil in physical buildings, that takes a little time to do properly. Overall our athletic department has advanced light years in most every way since we jumped to DI with little none of the little advantages the BOR gave USeD to try to help them catch up.

As far as the MVC things, it's going to be very interesting to see how it plays out.

I'm pulling your numbers straight from the Department of Ed and the USA Today Budget Database - which are the numbers the school reports to the government.

I guess if SDSU added over 4 million to the budget in the last year without adding a penny of subsidy, then the numbers may make sense.

http://image.prntscr.com/image/96288190d3d34531b82b977306538497.png

http://image.prntscr.com/image/d02240751ef74967a0f2dec3ef1c34b7.png

Thumper 76
April 11th, 2017, 11:54 AM
I'm pulling your numbers straight from the Department of Ed and the USA Today Budget Database - which are the numbers the school reports to the government.

I guess if SDSU added over 4 million to the budget in the last year without adding a penny of subsidy, then the numbers may make sense.

http://image.prntscr.com/image/96288190d3d34531b82b977306538497.png

Per the Argus article:

MZ: What is the budget at right now?
JS: We’re at $20.5 million. When I started we were at $10.5.
MZ: Just last year it was at….?
JS: $16.5. With the addition of the football stadium and the pro forma and sales in there it bumped it up. What I’m most proud of is that of FCS schools, on average 72 percent of their budget comes from student fees or state or university support. We’re down to 39 percent from those categories. We were at 50 two years ago and at 72 when I got here. We’ve kept that number the same and added $10 million to our budget from ticket sales and corporate sponsorships. In this day and age with the cost of higher education and the things students need to be able to put their money towards, the days of asking students to put their money into athletic programs – it’s harder and harder to justify that and get them to support that.

clenz
April 11th, 2017, 11:56 AM
The truth is, UNI's budget is also growing and the issues UNI is facing is zero different than any other non P5 university in the country right now.

The only difference is that Iowa has well intentioned, but dumb, legislators pulling crap like they do.

SDSU's budget has grown, it should have. You were D2 a decade ago. The fact is, it will plateau here pretty quick because they ROI on what is being spent will stop being at the level it is.

As much as jackwagon29 things he knows things - he doesn't.

Also, I grew up in that part of Iowa, Thumper. Don't screw with me with NW Iowa geography and time:D

1 h (53.1 miles)
via State Hwy 9

Fastest route, the usual traffic

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/43.5005568,-96.5084781/Ocheyedan,+IA+51354/@43.4041824,-96.3081482,10.25z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x878c9223414bd517:0x2 93d3c8b032b26d5!2m2!1d-95.5346906!2d43.4178725

Thumper 76
April 11th, 2017, 12:05 PM
The truth is, UNI's budget is also growing and the issues UNI is facing is zero different than any other non P5 university in the country right now.

The only difference is that Iowa has well intentioned, but dumb, legislators pulling crap like they do.

SDSU's budget has grown, it should have. You were D2 a decade ago. The fact is, it will plateau here pretty quick because they ROI on what is being spent will stop being at the level it is.

As much as jackwagon29 things he knows things - he doesn't.

Also, I grew up in that part of Iowa, Thumper. Don't screw with me with NW Iowa geography and time:D

1 h (53.1 miles)
via State Hwy 9

Fastest route, the usual traffic

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/43.5005568,-96.5084781/Ocheyedan,+IA+51354/@43.4041824,-96.3081482,10.25z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x878c9223414bd517:0x2 93d3c8b032b26d5!2m2!1d-95.5346906!2d43.4178725

Fair enough, if you pick the exact border, sure.

clenz
April 11th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Fair enough, if you pick the exact border, sure.

Notice I didn't say Sioux Falls, or Brandon, or Tea, or Harrisburg, or Shindler or Valley Springs. I said the state of South Dakota.

He is 1 hour by car from not even being able to take part in Iowa legislative sessions. He's only a handful of miles from Minnesota.

That doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to have such opinions. What does disqualify him is the fact he has zero connection to UNI at all. None. Not even a distant relative, from what we can tell.

It's a well intentioned state senator trying to make an effort to make state funding for the state universities "fair". He is doing it in all the wrong way though, and it creates bad PR for jackwagons, like jackwagon, to grab on too.

F'N Hawks
April 11th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Is Men's Tennis folding in the MVC? I see Illinois State and Drake are joining the Summit next year.

clenz
April 11th, 2017, 02:56 PM
Is Men's Tennis folding in the MVC? I see Illinois State and Drake are joining the Summit next year.
Probably

It was a 5 team league:
WSU
ISUr
Drake
SIU
Stony Brook

UMBC was in the conference but dropped mens tennis after last year.

The conference hasn't hosted an individual championship in 4 years.

WSU is taking tennis to the AAC
Doesn't make sense to run a 4 team conference.
Stony Brook only ever played MVC teams in the team championship at the end of the season. They can find a home out east - I'm confused as to how they ended up here to begin with.
That leaves Drake, ISUr and SIU.

Not sure what's going in that SIU not going. Maybe they are delayed in announcing. Maybe they'll go MAC. Maybe they'll drop mens tennis.

Still leaves the conference with 7 mens sports, none of which are in danger of any kind.

GodHelpTheBears
April 11th, 2017, 05:55 PM
MVC at a major crossroad here

This needs to be done right

We are so screwed

uni88
April 12th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Per the Argus article:

MZ: What is the budget at right now?
JS: We’re at $20.5 million. When I started we were at $10.5.
MZ: Just last year it was at….?
JS: $16.5. With the addition of the football stadium and the pro forma and sales in there it bumped it up. What I’m most proud of is that of FCS schools, on average 72 percent of their budget comes from student fees or state or university support. We’re down to 39 percent from those categories. We were at 50 two years ago and at 72 when I got here. We’ve kept that number the same and added $10 million to our budget from ticket sales and corporate sponsorships. In this day and age with the cost of higher education and the things students need to be able to put their money towards, the days of asking students to put their money into athletic programs – it’s harder and harder to justify that and get them to support that.

72% of 10.5 million is 7.56 million
39% of 20.5 million is 7.995 million

So while the percentage has dropped the actual dollar amount has actually increased slightly.

Thumper 76
April 12th, 2017, 09:39 PM
72% of 10.5 million is 7.56 million
39% of 20.5 million is 7.995 million

So while the percentage has dropped the actual dollar amount has actually increased slightly.

Increase in student population could factor into that. In that time frame SDSU has grown a lot so the $ from student fees would be more without raising the activity fees that go to athletics.

Never mind that an increase of $435,000 compared to $9,565,000 is essentially nothing.

BisonFan02
April 12th, 2017, 09:41 PM
We are so screwed

Whatever you do....don't take a school in a media market of less than 250k.

smilo
April 14th, 2017, 11:31 PM
I'm mildly surprised that Oakland is not on the consideration list. Yes, low attendance but still relatively local yet an expansion of area coverage (i.e., no worse than UMKC) and better than the westward options in that it is actually a rather solid basketball program. Just a bit confusing. Is Murray included because they need a public?

e: The easy answer is that the conference hasn't floated out the name, but that hasn't stopped numerous other considerations.

Mike296
April 15th, 2017, 12:15 PM
This should've happened when the AAC first formed ffs. Wichita State was already tearing up the MVC in basketball prior to it forming.

Starting in the 09/10 season WSU's records were:

25-10(12-6 in conference)

29-8(14-4 in conference)

27-6(16-2 in conference)

30-9(12-6 in conference)

35-1(18-0 in conference)

They were already a power team playing in a bad conference so they should've been trying to move way before now.

Laker
April 15th, 2017, 07:38 PM
Has anyone actually heard of what the MVC is planning on doing? Have another emergency meeting? Wait until next year? Nothing?

GodHelpTheBears
April 15th, 2017, 09:37 PM
Has anyone actually heard of what the MVC is planning on doing? Have another emergency meeting? Wait until next year? Nothing?

Heh heh...

You're gonna learn a lot

clenz
April 15th, 2017, 09:44 PM

It was never and "emergency meeting". That was used by one beat writer and it was ran with by outside media.

BisonFan02
April 15th, 2017, 09:45 PM
It was never and "emergency meeting". That was used by one beat writer and it was ran with by outside media.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't have been. You guys are on life support. :D

Bisonator
April 17th, 2017, 02:47 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8lvn0pSSH1qbsjydo1_500.jpg

citdog
April 17th, 2017, 03:05 PM
http://l.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/91mvZZXlGPi0gpxtCOpXAQ--/aD00NzE7dz03NDk7c209MTthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptuspreprally/Farmington.jpg

Laker
April 17th, 2017, 04:11 PM
http://l.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/91mvZZXlGPi0gpxtCOpXAQ--/aD00NzE7dz03NDk7c209MTthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptuspreprally/Farmington.jpg

I think that these three got suspended and had to apologize. High school in Illinois maybe? Pretty tricky- someone must have told on them. Shocking...........

BisonFan02
April 17th, 2017, 07:37 PM
I think that these three got suspended and had to apologize. High school in Illinois maybe? Pretty tricky- someone must have told on them. Shocking...........

Haha, I had to look a second time to catch that.....I was shocked......shocked I tell ya. xlolx

BisonFan02
April 17th, 2017, 08:18 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2017/04/15/belmont-switching-conferences-mvc/100382846/

Missing from most reports, however, has been input from Belmont on whether it is even interested in bouncing from the Ohio Valley Valley Conference (http://www.ovcsports.com) to the MVC. As it turns out, it's not something that's even on Belmont's radar screen.
"We're a proud and happy member of the Ohio Valley Conference," Belmont athletics director Scott Corley said. "We're happy where we are."
That's almost word-for-word what former Belmont AD Mike Strickland said in 2013 (http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/sports/belmont-already-verge-jump-another-conference-not-so-fast)when the MVC was in need of a team after Creighton bolted and several media outlets had the Bruins ready to make a move back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfh4Mhp-a6U

Model Citizen
April 18th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Valparaiso, UMKC, Omaha. You read it here first. xeyebrowx

FargoBison
April 18th, 2017, 04:40 PM

RIP MVC

BisonFan02
April 18th, 2017, 05:46 PM

#mediamarkets #drewfamily

BisonFan02
April 18th, 2017, 10:28 PM
http://www.valleynewslive.com/content/news/Chick-fil-A-is-coming-to-Fargo-419789223.html

NDSU has hit the big time....Fargo is officially a big market and will get entry into the MVC. Your move Brookings. :D

Thundar
April 19th, 2017, 10:56 AM
http://www.valleynewslive.com/content/news/Chick-fil-A-is-coming-to-Fargo-419789223.html

NDSU has hit the big time....Fargo is officially a big market and will get entry into the MVC. Your move Brookings. :D

I believe they have one already

BisonFan02
April 19th, 2017, 04:55 PM
I believe they have one already

http://66.media.tumblr.com/d589e7741012be08f41b5eec13d918c0/tumblr_o931wqSr2w1r48qmoo2_500.gif

xlolx

GodHelpTheBears
April 19th, 2017, 07:03 PM

Still Canadian

BisonFan02
April 19th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Still Canadian

eh?

clenz
April 20th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Murray State has called an emergency BOR meeting tomrrow.

The 4th item on the docket is a discussion regarding intercollegiate athletics that requires a vote by the BOR.

Basically, Murray State and Valpo to the MVC confirmed.

Now it's a matter of how that affects the FCS

BisonFan02
April 20th, 2017, 01:51 PM

The 4th item on the docket is a discussion regarding intercollegiate athletics that requires a vote by the BOR.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2014/10/km3pwK-1.gif

mango433
April 20th, 2017, 02:53 PM

Please, SDSU had one 5 years ago.

BisonFan02
April 20th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Please, SDSU had one 5 years ago.

Yeah......but that's in Brookings. :D

Bisonator
April 20th, 2017, 05:46 PM

Haven't heard anything about Valpo. You sure about that or will it just be Murray State? If so.....xlolx

GodHelpTheBears
April 20th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Haven't heard anything about Valpo. You sure about that or will it just be Murray State? If so.....xlolx

Sweet, someone we can beat

JSUSoutherner
April 21st, 2017, 12:16 PM
Still no guarentee that they bring football to the MVFC. They may just drop it altogether.

GodHelpTheBears
April 21st, 2017, 12:37 PM
Still no guarentee that they bring football to the MVFC. They may just drop it altogether.

I mean, we should do that too...

Model Citizen
April 21st, 2017, 01:21 PM

Just kidding... xrotatehx

clenz
April 21st, 2017, 01:29 PM
Yeah, that Murray State would be a horrid add. You know, that team with 1 losing season in 30 years. The program that was ranked in the top 10 just a few years ago. The team that is willing to commit an extra 800-1m to basketball. What a horrid add they'd be.

You won't hear anything from Valpo until it's announced. They are a private school. They don't have to say a ****ing word until it's announced. They don't follow the same FOI rules.

Model Citizen
April 21st, 2017, 02:13 PM
Didn't Murray State lose to UMKC this season?

clenz
April 21st, 2017, 02:18 PM
Didn't Murray State lose to UMKC this season?
1 losing season in 30 years.

UNI beat South Dakota State by 28
UNI had it's worst team in 17 years.
South Dakota State won The Summit League autobid.

Murray State is, supposedly, willing to up it's spending on mens basketball to at least UNI levels - 2.9-3M per year and growing.
UMKC is....not....and would be the lowest funded MVC program.

One had deacdes of proven ability to win.
One has not.

One actually has a fan base
One does not

One has 26 conference championships, 15 tournament titles, 15 NCAA appearances and wins in multiple NCAA trips.
One doesn't have a single one of anything just mentioned.

One has produced NBA players and knows how to hire coaches that continue to do well and get looked at by bigger programs.
One has coaches continually fired after 4-6 years due to having a win % of about 40

Model Citizen
April 21st, 2017, 02:32 PM
Maybe the conference can retroactively invite them to join 30 years ago.

FargoBison
April 21st, 2017, 02:34 PM
UMKC is worthless, I don't even want them in the Summit. They would be a worse public school version of Loyola for the MVC.

I don't know about Murray getting back to their glory days but they fit much more of the profile of an MVC school. Good support, good facility and a history of success.

jacksfan29
April 21st, 2017, 02:47 PM
And UNI played SDSU at the beginning of the year when the team were struggling with a new coach and entire new back court. But it made you feel good. Bravo.

What is it with UNI fans? Are all of you so insecure because you play 3rd fiddle to Iowa and ISU? You do realize no matter how bad ISU are you will never be viewed by most Iowans as anything but a D2 school?

Oh, and UNI are not getting an MWC invite. Holy crap. I thought Bison fans were dreamers but when I read that one I almost chocked on my coffee.

Murray State are likely to be on a decline moving forward as are Valpo. Once their head coach is gone it is over. And their FB program? Don't get me started. Of course if we set it up right at least UNI may get above .500 in conference play this year. The MVC as you know it is dead. Your last great program has walked out the door. A one bid league is a one bid league. And the MVC is a one bid league.

1 losing season in 30 years.

UNI beat South Dakota State by 28
UNI had it's worst team in 17 years.
South Dakota State won The Summit League autobid.

Murray State is, supposedly, willing to up it's spending on mens basketball to at least UNI levels - 2.9-3M per year and growing.
UMKC is....not....and would be the lowest funded MVC program.

One had deacdes of proven ability to win.
One has not.

One actually has a fan base
One does not

One has 26 conference championships, 15 tournament titles, 15 NCAA appearances and wins in multiple NCAA trips.
One doesn't have a single one of anything just mentioned.

One has produced NBA players and knows how to hire coaches that continue to do well and get looked at by bigger programs.
One has coaches continually fired after 4-6 years due to having a win % of about 40

Model Citizen
April 21st, 2017, 02:48 PM
I don't know about Murray getting back to their glory days but they fit much more of the profile of an MVC school.

More of a fit geographically too. Might as well change the conference name to The Other OVC.

clenz
April 21st, 2017, 03:02 PM
UMKC is worthless, I don't even want them in the Summit. They would be a worse public school version of Loyola for the MVC.

I don't know about Murray getting back to their glory days but they fit much more of the profile of an MVC school. Good support, good facility and a history of success.
Loyola's coach is basketball terrible at Xs and Os but honestly their recruiting is REALLY damn good.

UMKC is garbage all the way around. I mean their entire athletic department - MBB, WBB, VB, etc.. are all just complete garbage. If it wasn't for travel, their athletic budget would be under 10m, easy.

Listening to the Murray State presentation to the BOR they clearly have a plan. It was a damn good presentation regarding the geographic fit and national profile of the schools around them. The phrase "You are who you compete and associate with" was used more than few times. The used, UNI as a specific example, as to using a conference move to grow the profile of the university and using it to spring board things. They also used FGCU, Boise State, Valpo, Western Kentucky, MTSU, and few others. They clearly have a strategic plan in place that doesn't include the OVC and the profile those universities have.

If balance is what the conference want, within a specific profile, Murray State fits and wants to fit it even more.
Couple them with a school like Valpo on the other side to match with Bradley, Drake, Loyola and Evansville?

It seems there is an actual plan in place. It seems like the conference office, and presidents, actually have a unified vision right now. Creighton and WSU made unifying the vision hard because they had their own agendas and saw themselves as bigger than the conference.

A unified MVC is a good thing. That hasn't happened for about 5 or 6 years

JSUSoutherner
April 21st, 2017, 03:30 PM
More of a fit geographically too. Might as well change the conference name to The Other OVC.
You have to get the ****tiest refs on Earth and a conference administration with absolutely no vision to get that name.

BisonTru
April 21st, 2017, 04:01 PM
Loyola's coach is basketball terrible at Xs and Os but honestly their recruiting is REALLY damn good.

Speaking of Loyola and recruiting. A friend of mine's son just started playing for them. He was pretty far along in the recruiting process (into the tournaments his senior year) with no D1 offers. Loyola was really the only school showing interest, but no offer yet. Then Utah flew in their coaching staff to watch one of the tournament games they won. He left that night with 4 offers from Utah, Utah State, Loyola, and one other school (maybe Evansville iirc). They won the state title and he had 10 D1 offers. He looked hard at Utah but since Loyola was closer and were the first one's in he signed there.

He played H.S. basketball in Illinois State's backyard. His coach beat down ISU's door trying to get them to at least come watch him. They didn't show any interest until he had like 8 D1 offers. Anyway I'll be following Loyola for the next fours years. I'm pretty sure if you don't know already you can figure out who I'm talking about.

clenz
April 21st, 2017, 04:19 PM
Speaking of Loyola and recruiting. A friend of mine's son just started playing for them. He was pretty far along in the recruiting process (into the tournaments his senior year) with no D1 offers. Loyola was really the only school showing interest, but no offer yet. Then Utah flew in their coaching staff to watch one of the tournament games they won. He left that night with 4 offers from Utah, Utah State, Loyola, and one other school (maybe Evansville iirc). They won the state title and he had 10 D1 offers. He looked hard at Utah but since Loyola was closer and were the first one's in he signed there.

He played H.S. basketball in Illinois State's backyard. His coach beat down ISU's door trying to get them to at least come watch him. They didn't show any interest until he had like 8 D1 offers. Anyway I'll be following Loyola for the next fours years. I'm pretty sure if you don't know already you can figure out who I'm talking about.
I'd have to look at the roster but not hard to figure out.

Porter can't coach strategy but he recruits SO well it's stilly

BisonTru
April 21st, 2017, 06:22 PM
I'd have to look at the roster but not hard to figure out.

Porter can't coach strategy but he recruits SO well it's stilly

Yeah, he beat out a Pac-12 school for this kid. Helps being in there early. I'll probably end up at UNI for a game sometime.

clenz
May 8th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Yeah, he beat out a Pac-12 school for this kid. Helps being in there early. I'll probably end up at UNI for a game sometime.
Random bump, only for BisonTru really...

Looks like your boy is leaving Loyola. Wonder where he'll end up.

BisonTru
May 8th, 2017, 12:12 PM

A little bit shocking. His dad never hinted he was unhappy. Was getting minutes as a true freshman till he tore is ACL.

Laker
May 9th, 2017, 10:17 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_ZH5WPXsAA_CQL.jpg

BisonTru
June 1st, 2017, 11:05 AM

He's going to Illinois State. Going to walk on this year and sit out. Scholarship, play the following year.

clenz
June 1st, 2017, 11:46 AM
He's going to Illinois State. Going to walk on this year and sit out. Scholarship, play the following year.
Saw that today.

He took the best way to get around transfer restrictions. He wasn't released to any MVC school - that only applies if he accepts a scholarship.