PDA

View Full Version : Why are coaches and the AD leaving or wanting to leave UTC?

youcanbankit
March 3rd, 2017, 01:04 PM
First, Huesman leaves for Richmond. Then Brandon Staley who just took the job, leaves. Then Blackburn puts in for the UT job. What is going on with the mocs?

JSUSoutherner
March 3rd, 2017, 01:10 PM
They don't want to have to play us. xcoffeex

Bucs2016
March 3rd, 2017, 01:40 PM
Meh. Heres the reality of D1 football: Every coach...EVERY coach...on everyone's favorite team, spends their offseason hunting a better job or better fit for them and their family. Every coach is 1 bad season from unemployment, 1 bad broken collar bone in a 19 yr old QB away from being fired. OR...one huge season away from their boss getting a job at a bigger school, and not bringing them with him, AND the new guy that comes in not keeping them.

Every fan needs to realize: Unless you're an Alabama fan, your teams coaching staff is spending March and April on 2 things: spring practice and job hunting. 100% guaranteed. Coaches dont wait until they're fired to look for a job.

youcanbankit
March 3rd, 2017, 02:55 PM
They don't want to have to play us. xcoffeex

Roger that!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24711&stc=1

For any UTC response?

youcanbankit
March 3rd, 2017, 03:02 PM
Meh. Heres the reality of D1 football: Every coach...EVERY coach...on everyone's favorite team, spends their offseason hunting a better job or better fit for them and their family. Every coach is 1 bad season from unemployment, 1 bad broken collar bone in a 19 yr old QB away from being fired. OR...one huge season away from their boss getting a job at a bigger school, and not bringing them with him, AND the new guy that comes in not keeping them.

Every fan needs to realize: Unless you're an Alabama fan, your teams coaching staff is spending March and April on 2 things: spring practice and job hunting. 100% guaranteed. Coaches dont wait until they're fired to look for a job.

I hear you....So do you think....

1.) Richmond is a better job than UTC?
2.) After accepting the job and working there a month, you take another job is the right thing to do?
3.) Every coach is looking to leave?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24712&stc=1

BisonTru
March 3rd, 2017, 03:57 PM

2.) After accepting the job and working there a month, you take another job is the right thing to do?

1. Yep, money.

2. Probably for better money.

3. If the money is right.

Thumper 76
March 3rd, 2017, 04:56 PM
3. If the money is right.

I agree, not every coach is actively looking though. I highly doubt Coach Stig is firing out resumes to anybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

longtimemocfan
March 3rd, 2017, 07:05 PM
First, Huesman leaves for Richmond. Then Brandon Staley who just took the job, leaves. Then Blackburn puts in for the UT job. What is going on with the mocs?

First of all except for Huesman the other jobs you listed are major no brainers. Staley goes from just getting coordinator pay at the FCS level to a pro level job. That just means your pretty dang good. Same with Blackburn. UT would have been a major upgrade for him. Huesman had some beef with Blackburn for control of the program plus he had gotten stale which was amplified by the teams performance or lack their of late in the year. When you can become as dominate as we have against your Bulldogs then you can start saying their is something going on here.

centennial
March 3rd, 2017, 08:12 PM
I agree, not every coach is actively looking though. I highly doubt Coach Stig is firing out resumes to anybody.

Someone threw money at him ever? Either SDSU knocks off a Kansas State or Iowa or equivalent, or starts going deep in the playoffs. Both haven't happened yet.

Stig is at his ceiling and older, and probably happy with the status quo of being a top 25 FCS every year. He is an exception. There are other coaches at the FCS level that are similar, good enough to keep their jobs but might not be ready for the FBS, or the risk associated. Why not just ride out life making 200k a year.

Thumper 76
March 3rd, 2017, 08:28 PM
Someone threw money at him ever? Either SDSU knocks off a Kansas State or Iowa or equivalent, or starts going deep in the playoffs. Both haven't happened yet.

Stig is at his ceiling and older, and probably happy with the status quo of being a top 25 FCS every year. He is an exception. There are other coaches at the FCS level that are similar, good enough to keep their jobs but might not be ready for the FBS, or the risk associated. Why not just ride out life making 200k a year.

Yeah I think you missed the point. My point is not everyone's coach is looking to leave. Has nothing to do with why, he said EVERY, and I pointed out not EVERY coach is liable to leave.

Yeah Stig is rare type of situation and person. He's past the age of having a big time offer, outside of a G5 school, and is to the point of retiring soon so I doubt he would take those offers and risk it, like you were saying.

One way to trigger a Bison though, mention Stig not leaving xlolx

Bucs2016
March 3rd, 2017, 08:57 PM
Yeah I think you missed the point. My point is not everyone's coach is looking to leave. Has nothing to do with why, he said EVERY, and I pointed out not EVERY coach is liable to leave.

Yeah Stig is rare type of situation and person. He's past the age of having a big time offer, outside of a G5 school, and is to the point of retiring soon so I doubt he would take those offers and risk it, like you were saying.

One way to trigger a Bison though, mention Stig not leaving xlolx

I disagree. Sure...Nick Saban and Bill Belichik arent. But everyone else? Coaches all have gone through firings and promotions that didnt bring them along over the years. They always deep down have a backup plan. So...is the NDSU or JMU or Clemson coaching staff looking to leave? No. But i guarantee they have a backup plan in case 2017 is a disaster. They constantly massage those connections so if they need it its there. Hell...look at Baylor. That staff was the next huge thing. Even NFL teams were looking at Briles. NOW? They're all out of work. Sort of. They all will have jobs (Briles would too if he wanted one) because they're always putting feelers out there.

If your team is winning...someone else is in his ear and even if he has no plan to take it, he'llfake some interest just to build that bridge. Just in case. If they're losing...hes in someone else's ear. Guaranteed.

Theres exceptions like Snyder at K State and Spurrier before he hung it up. So maybe 99.9% instead of 100%.

Bucs2016
March 3rd, 2017, 09:00 PM

1. Slightly better, yes.
2. It was right for HIM. Hate to say it...but coaches are typically only as loyal to a team as their next paycheck. Nick Saban had proven that.
3. EVERY? Ok. Some exceptions. Snyder at K State for example. But the vast majority of college football coaches ALWAYS have an ear to the ground for the next opportunity.

Thumper 76
March 3rd, 2017, 09:11 PM
I disagree. Sure...Nick Saban and Bill Belichik arent. But everyone else? Coaches all have gone through firings and promotions that didnt bring them along over the years. They always deep down have a backup plan. So...is the NDSU or JMU or Clemson coaching staff looking to leave? No. But i guarantee they have a backup plan in case 2017 is a disaster. They constantly massage those connections so if they need it its there. Hell...look at Baylor. That staff was the next huge thing. Even NFL teams were looking at Briles. NOW? They're all out of work. Sort of. They all will have jobs (Briles would too if he wanted one) because they're always putting feelers out there.

If your team is winning...someone else is in his ear and even if he has no plan to take it, he'llfake some interest just to build that bridge. Just in case. If they're losing...hes in someone else's ear. Guaranteed.

Theres exceptions like Snyder at K State and Spurrier before he hung it up. So maybe 99.9% instead of 100%.

So then not every. The majority.

Bucs2016
March 3rd, 2017, 09:19 PM
So then not every. The majority.

Yes but take my comment in context. There are very very few coaches who have closed their ears to other jobs.

That list?
Saban. Snyder. Belichik. Thats about it. And even that...if Indianapolis offered Saban, it wouldn't be an immediate no.

And its not always the coach. Sometimes its the wife. South Carolina had Tom Herman basically signed...until he visited Columbia and his wife HATED IT. Its well known that CSUs ex coach Chadwell has a wonderful wife who LOVES the beach. Its why she liked being in Charleston. No coincidence they ended up at Coastal.

KPSUL
March 3rd, 2017, 10:25 PM

Jimmye Laycock has been at William and Mary for 36 years and Andy Talley just finished his 32nd and final season at Villanova. Sean McDonnell has been at UNH 18 season and UNH has had only 2 Head Coaches in the last 44 years. All three of these guys have had opportunities for bigger paychecks and FBS head coaching jobs but choose to stay put.

Bucs2016
March 4th, 2017, 12:42 AM
Jimmye Laycock has been at William and Mary for 36 years and Andy Talley just finished his 32nd and final season at Villanova. Sean McDonnell has been at UNH 18 season and UNH has had only 2 Head Coaches in the last 44 years. All three of these guys have had opportunities for bigger paychecks and FBS head coaching jobs but choose to stay put.

*Chose* to stay put. Lots of coaches would love to stay put for 20-30 years but few can. Those guys, im sure, had backup plans all along in case they had been fired. And the guy at Villanova...if Penn State or the Steelers offered him the job...would he have taken it?

KPSUL
March 4th, 2017, 11:08 AM
*Chose* to stay put. Lots of coaches would love to stay put for 20-30 years but few can. Those guys, im sure, had backup plans all along in case they had been fired. And the guy at Villanova...if Penn State or the Steelers offered him the job...would he have taken it?

I don't know if Andy Talley would have gone to Penn State, but since you seem to profess some profound insight concerning the intent and motivation of all college football coaches why don't you share your opinion with us?

tribe_pride
March 4th, 2017, 12:43 PM

Laycock accepted and then almost immediately rejected going to BC in 1990 (would have been a raise in pay from $70k to $200K back then. Also had other opportunities including QB Coach for the Chargers at one point.

Here is a blog post on him. https://wmsportsblog.com/2016/08/21/the-man-the-myth-the-legend-jimmye-laycock/

Bucs2016
March 4th, 2017, 02:17 PM
I don't know if Andy Talley would have gone to Penn State, but since you seem to profess some profound insight concerning the intent and motivation of all college football coaches why don't you share your opinion with us?

I say this after playing for 4 years, and 4 years of being a grad assistant and lowly assistant. 90 hour work weeks got old so i got out! But that brief experience allowed me to see how coaches work day to day. Also got to go to the annual AFCA coaches convention 3 times, had the chance to meet and mingle with coaches from all over. And that was what it was. Always having an eye out for a job in case they need one. Every week, the coaches are calling each other looking for rumors or openings just to see. Its where i learned of FootballScoop.com, which before the explosion of social media was basically the rumor list for coaches wondering whats opening. Its not as much these days.

I obviously cant speak for the guy you mentioned. But if for some reason his employer fired him or dropped football...I would bet my house on saying along the years he maintained some contacts with ADs and head coaches that would hire him if he ever needed it.

I really assumed this was such a well known thing that people assumed their coach was always open to listen to other job offers and quietly seeking them out. Its pretty much the only reason for the Coaches Convenient each spring. Basically a 2 or 3 day mass open interview. It was funny watching everyone not-named-Saban loitering around the hotel lobby and conference room with a resume in a nice folder...

Bucs2016
March 4th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Laycock accepted and then almost immediately rejected going to BC in 1990 (would have been a raise in pay from $70k to $200K back then. Also had other opportunities including QB Coach for the Chargers at one point.

Here is a blog post on him. https://wmsportsblog.com/2016/08/21/the-man-the-myth-the-legend-jimmye-laycock/

Yep. Always an open ear. Im sure there were dozens more conversations that never went very far.

No one knows if they're on board the next Baylor or SMU situation. Or even UAB or Pacific where the school just drops football. These guys have families. They dont wait until they need a job to look for one. Afterall....these are the guys who are gameplanning for a September game...on a Tuesday in March. They plan WAY ahead.

citdog
March 4th, 2017, 04:04 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bv5libtIcAEjDUu.jpg

Bucs2016
March 4th, 2017, 04:07 PM

Dizam. Thats one hell of a staff there. What year?

kdinva
March 9th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Dizam. Thats one hell of a staff there. What year?

I've seen that photo before........I want to say 1972 or '73.

And that was when Friedgen found all those (Fried) seafood restaurants in Charleston. 'nuff said..

Cocky
March 9th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Where can I get some of those shorts?

JSUSoutherner
March 9th, 2017, 04:41 PM
Where can I get some of those shorts?
The Stone Age.

GodHelpTheBears
March 9th, 2017, 06:33 PM

Fridge...er, Friedgen is breaking my brain. Frank Beamer doesn't look very different xlolx

Old scoreboard w/Coca-Cola signage, neatly combed hair, white shirts and Chubbies...I've never been to South Carolina but this is a good approximation of what I had pictured in my head.

youcanbankit
March 9th, 2017, 07:49 PM
Tom Kaufman named Defensive Coordinator at UTC Former Special Teams coach at Syracuse. Interesting move by Arth. They played college ball together I think.

IBleedYellow
March 10th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Y'all are arguing semantics at this point.

Milktruck74
March 10th, 2017, 12:45 PM

I can give you several hundred thousand reasons...all of them are Dollars!!!! Huesman went to Richmond and almost doubled his salary, his wife got a 6 figure a year job form the U, and Jacob is on staff. Blackburn....Seriously, I hate UT, but is that even a question? IT's called moving up!!! and Staley...well that just show me that Coach Arth is surrounding himself with the kinds of coaches we want to see on the staff...If the Bigs aren't reaching down and poaching your staff, they maybe it's because your guys arent good enough.

Milktruck74
March 10th, 2017, 12:54 PM
I say this after playing for 4 years, and 4 years of being a grad assistant and lowly assistant. 90 hour work weeks got old so i got out! But that brief experience allowed me to see how coaches work day to day. Also got to go to the annual AFCA coaches convention 3 times, had the chance to meet and mingle with coaches from all over. And that was what it was. Always having an eye out for a job in case they need one. Every week, the coaches are calling each other looking for rumors or openings just to see. Its where i learned of FootballScoop.com, which before the explosion of social media was basically the rumor list for coaches wondering whats opening. Its not as much these days.

I obviously cant speak for the guy you mentioned. But if for some reason his employer fired him or dropped football...I would bet my house on saying along the years he maintained some contacts with ADs and head coaches that would hire him if he ever needed it.

I really assumed this was such a well known thing that people assumed their coach was always open to listen to other job offers and quietly seeking them out. Its pretty much the only reason for the Coaches Convenient each spring. Basically a 2 or 3 day mass open interview. It was funny watching everyone not-named-Saban loitering around the hotel lobby and conference room with a resume in a nice folder...

Have to agree with Busc on this one. Coaching is a big fraternity where they take care of their own. Coaches are always looking to move up, there are those that arent, but most are. Why is there an AFCA? Well it isn't for the educational aspect, coaches aren't presenting their playbooks in breakout rooms....It is strictly for networking to find another (better) job.

youcanbankit
March 11th, 2017, 06:59 AM
Old school UFO in the picture?? Cant be a football, too much air under it and we just run the ball....

Or Someone was watching that staff way back then.....xnodx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24740&stc=1