PDA

View Full Version : Pinson Leaving the Citadel...that'll hurt!!!

Milktruck74
February 27th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Isaiah Pinson won't play for The Citadel in 2017, but the All-America tackle isn't giving up on football.
To the contrary, the 6-3, 273-pounder says he's forgoing his final season of eligibility to prepare for a shot at a pro career.
“I just felt that while I have my health and things like that, I want to take my shot at the next level,” Pinson said. “That's really where I am with this. Everything ended on good terms and was fine. I love The Citadel and everything I got from it, but I do want to take this opportunity while I'm healthy enough.”
more:
http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/citadel-all-american-isaiah-pinson-explains-decision-to-forgo-final/article_c9b28f86-fd19-11e6-b303-33414bcf57c4.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

citdog
February 27th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Isaiah Pinson won't play for The Citadel in 2017, but the All-America tackle isn't giving up on football.
To the contrary, the 6-3, 273-pounder says he's forgoing his final season of eligibility to prepare for a shot at a pro career.
“I just felt that while I have my health and things like that, I want to take my shot at the next level,” Pinson said. “That's really where I am with this. Everything ended on good terms and was fine. I love The Citadel and everything I got from it, but I do want to take this opportunity while I'm healthy enough.”
more:
http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/citadel-all-american-isaiah-pinson-explains-decision-to-forgo-final/article_c9b28f86-fd19-11e6-b303-33414bcf57c4.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Dude came in and did his 4 years as a Cadet and will graduate with his class in May. I have no problem and wish him the best. We will miss him up front but have guys ready to go on the O Line.

kdinva
February 27th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Dude came in and did his 4 years as a Cadet and will graduate with his class in May..

that is what college is all about.....

SU DOG
February 27th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Terrific player, and sounds like a good guy, but will he be big enough to make the pros?

PAllen
February 27th, 2017, 09:17 PM
I know this has been covered before, but it's been a while and I don't remember the answer: What to redshirt seniors do at the Citadel during their post graduate year?

citdog
February 27th, 2017, 09:19 PM
I know this has been covered before, but it's been a while and I don't remember the answer: What to redshirt seniors do at the Citadel during their post graduate year?

Graduate School as civilians.

Redbird007
February 27th, 2017, 09:29 PM
more:

Sounds like a genuine student/athlete that has finished the student portion (unlike a lot of "student" athletes) and now is in pursuit of being a professional athlete. I respect that approach and hope he makes it.

Bucs2016
February 27th, 2017, 11:55 PM
Smart move. Citadel is triple option. If hes good enough to get a look from the NFL, they're gonna want to see him pass blocking. Best bet is he goes to a team that slings it a lot. Get some film. Shoot for an invite to an all star bowl to showcase against some big FBS players.

**OH WOW** edit: Read article. He isnt transferring. Hes just trying to go straight pro. Interesting. I assumed he'd transfer to a pro style offense and show them he can be a guy who pass blocks 30-40 snaps a game. Guess not.

FUBeAR
February 28th, 2017, 05:06 AM
Seems like Moses may have resurfaced in Chucktown. Quite an Exodus of Players from El Cid and Coaches from ChuckSouth this off-season, it seems.

Milktruck74
February 28th, 2017, 06:44 AM
Dude came in and did his 4 years as a Cadet and will graduate with his class in May. I have no problem and wish him the best. We will miss him up front but have guys ready to go on the O Line.

Wasn't trying to imply anything other than what the article said...Good for him for graduating on time and good luck. He was an anchor point that will be missed.

PAllen
February 28th, 2017, 06:53 AM
Graduate School as civilians.

Thanks. Wasn't aware that the Citadel had a grad school.

Biff
February 28th, 2017, 07:33 AM
http://www.citadel.edu/root/graduatecollege

"We offer 26 graduate degree programs with 42 concentration options (http://www.citadel.edu/root/graduatecollege-prospective-students/programs), 24 graduate certificate programs (http://www.citadel.edu/root/graduatecollege-prospective-students/programs), and eight evening undergraduate programs. (http://www.citadel.edu/root/eveningundergraduatestudies-2-2-programs)"

Anthony215
February 28th, 2017, 07:45 AM
Very risky move as the NFL Draft entry deadline has passed so I assume he'd be entering the Supplemental Draft in July hoping a team takes a chance on him with a 2018 3rd of 4th round pick.

smallcollegefbfan
February 28th, 2017, 08:00 AM
Very risky move as the NFL Draft entry deadline has passed so I assume he'd be entering the Supplemental Draft in July hoping a team takes a chance on him with a 2018 3rd of 4th round pick.

I was about to post that I need to ask about this because I think a player has to have a special situation to enter the Supplemental Draft and the deadline to declare early has passed. I don't think he would get drafted at all. I am assuming he is doing this in hopes of going to the AFL or CFL. I have been told by scouts who saw him on campus that was he too small. I was told they expect him to be about 6'2 270 pounds and that is just not big enough to get a shot in the NFL. If he is more like 295-300 and 6'2 1/2 then I could see it but if he is indeed 6'2 270 then I would be shocked if he got a look from the NFL.

Anthony215
February 28th, 2017, 08:19 AM
I was about to post that I need to ask about this because I think a player has to have a special situation to enter the Supplemental Draft and the deadline to declare early has passed. I don't think he would get drafted at all. I am assuming he is doing this in hopes of going to the AFL or CFL. I have been told by scouts who saw him on campus that was he too small. I was told they expect him to be about 6'2 270 pounds and that is just not big enough to get a shot in the NFL. If he is more like 295-300 and 6'2 1/2 then I could see it but if he is indeed 6'2 270 then I would be shocked if he got a look from the NFL.

I wish him nothing but the best in whatever he chooses but leaving school a year early to play for $830 per game in the AFL is insane. For all that he could have just graduated in May and transferred up a level at a FBS school even if it were a G5 institution in CUSA or the SunBelt.

smallcollegefbfan
February 28th, 2017, 08:54 AM
I wish him nothing but the best in whatever he chooses but leaving school a year early to play for $830 per game in the AFL is insane. For all that he could have just graduated in May and transferred up a level at a FBS school even if it were a G5 institution in CUSA or the SunBelt.

If I were advising him I would have told him to go to a FBS school or just simply dominate at The Citadel. The Citadel is going to attract a lot of NFL scouts in the fall because of the CB and he could have gained the weight and maybe developed into a NFL prospect but no reason for us to feel bad because this is his choice. I hope it works out for him and he has a degree so if he does not make it in the AFL or CFL I'm sure he will be fine. I just wonder who gave him the advice to do this. I know he wont the blocking trophy but he was not the best OL in the SoCon. Pinson was not as good as Corey Levin and if Corey Levin is just a 6th-7th round pick or PFA that should show you that Pinson is at best a free agent to the NFL, which is not the type of grade a player should have to declare early. I have to imagine that he knows he is likely headed to the CFL or AFL unless he is 300 pounds and a test freak.

ElCid
February 28th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Seems like Moses may have resurfaced in Chucktown. Quite an Exodus of Players from El Cid and Coaches from ChuckSouth this off-season, it seems.

We have had more than our share of losses. Some to graduation, including players not wanting to go with their 5th year. Some to discipline. Some to permanent injury. Quite a few productive names are included. Spinning it optimistically, hoping it gives some other players a chance to step up and be heard.

ElCid
February 28th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Thanks. Wasn't aware that the Citadel had a grad school.

Absolutely. My Mother in Law got her graduate degree there in the 80s. FYI, that is the only way we get 5th year transfers. We only get the occasional one ever year or two. Obviously no one would ever transfer into the Corps. I say that, but what I really mean is no football player would ever transfer in. I know of a couple folks who transferred in who were not players. They would do their knob year (as a Sophomore) and then be a junior the following year.

Catamount87
February 28th, 2017, 10:12 AM
If a player has a legitimate shot at making a roster, active or practice, more power to him.

The practice squad minimum is $6,900 per week which equates to $117,300 for a season. Once signed to a practice squad a player is guaranteed at least 3 weeks pay, $20,700. If he makes the active roster, well that's a much bigger ticket, the rookie minimum is $435,000 a year or $25,588 a week.

smallcollegefbfan
February 28th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Delaney transferring to Miami is another big hit. Citadel may fall 5-8 spots in the polls with these two losses alone. lol

Milktruck74
February 28th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Delaney transferring to Miami is another big hit. Citadel may fall 5-8 spots in the polls with these two losses alone. lol

i wonder if Delaney leaving had any bearing on his decision....as one poster above said (before DD announced), stay at the Citadel and get in front of all the scouts that will be on campus for DD....well, thats not an option anymore.

citdog
February 28th, 2017, 02:34 PM
well, thats not an option anymore.

We run the TRIPLE OPTION and y'all can't stop it.

citdog
February 28th, 2017, 02:39 PM

THE Citadel will be just fine. This is the last group of Higgins recruits. You still mad about 52-28?

Bucs2016
March 1st, 2017, 12:28 AM
i wonder if Delaney leaving had any bearing on his decision....as one poster above said (before DD announced), stay at the Citadel and get in front of all the scouts that will be on campus for DD....well, thats not an option anymore.

Plus...Citadel plays #1 Clemson next season. Wanna prove you're NFL caliber? THAT game film is the one to show it.

- - - Updated - - -

We run the TRIPLE OPTION and y'all can't stop it.

We can xcoffeex