PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh loses another assistant

ngineer
February 22nd, 2017, 08:27 PM
Learned at Lehigh's Football Banquet on Sunday that our running backs coach, Jamel Mutunga, has left for a similar position at Oklahoma. HC Coen has 130 applications being screened. This comes after losing OC Folmar to Elon last month, but resulted in Scott Brisson being elevated from WR coach to OC. Seems there is always some vacancy occurring in coaching staffs at this level.

A lot of emotion on Sunday as the Mountain Hawks received their Patriot League Championship rings and the senior Captains gave their "Charge" to the underclassmen. I got to present Micah Tennent, Sr. OL who started all 12 games at left guard this year at 6'f" 295 lbs., with the Scholar Athlete Award with the four year GPA of 3.90 in Mechanical Engineering and named to First Team Academic All-American. Very impressive guy.

About 350 in attendance got experience a cool highlight video which helped fuel everyone's desire for next season to get here. New DC Greg Sutyak was absolutely effusive over the incoming athletes he will be getting in the secondary, and considering a solid group is returning, much optimism about a further improved defense to compliment what should be a very explosive offense.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 22nd, 2017, 09:05 PM
Nothing wrong with losing assistant coaches to Oklahoma! Assistants at the FCS level want places where they can advance. Lehigh has proven to be a great springboard the last 30 or so years.

Franks Tanks
February 22nd, 2017, 11:43 PM
Don't you guys have your own message board for this stuff?

RichH2
February 23rd, 2017, 09:42 AM
Thanks ngineer. Spring practice almost here. Congrats to Coach Matunga.

dewey
February 23rd, 2017, 09:49 AM
Learned at Lehigh's Football Banquet on Sunday that our running backs coach, Jamel Mutunga, has left for a similar position at Oklahoma. HC Coen has 130 applications being screened. This comes after losing OC Folmar to Elon last month, but resulted in Scott Brisson being elevated from WR coach to OC. Seems there is always some vacancy occurring in coaching staffs at this level.

A lot of emotion on Sunday as the Mountain Hawks received their Patriot League Championship rings and the senior Captains gave their "Charge" to the underclassmen. I got to present Micah Tennent, Sr. OL who started all 12 games at left guard this year at 6'f" 295 lbs., with the Scholar Athlete Award with the four year GPA of 3.90 in Mechanical Engineering and named to First Team Academic All-American. Very impressive guy.

About 350 in attendance got experience a cool highlight video which helped fuel everyone's desire for next season to get here. New DC Greg Sutyak was absolutely effusive over the incoming athletes he will be getting in the secondary, and considering a solid group is returning, much optimism about a further improved defense to compliment what should be a very explosive offense.

Sounds like you had a great time and a nice honor of presenting a fine young man with the Scholar Athlete Award.

It is tough to lose assistant coaches but when you lose them because they are moving up the coaching ladder that means things are going well.

Thanks for sharing.

Dewey

RichH2
February 23rd, 2017, 11:39 AM
Other than one glaring example ( and even he has become a HC) Andy has hired excellent assts throughout his tenure at Lehigh. Good asst coaches come for a whilevand hopefully move up. The best scenario for a PL program. I would rather excellent coaches that move up over mediocre coaches who might stay.

KPSUL
February 23rd, 2017, 12:58 PM

You might just be giving him a good natured ribbing, but there is a shortage of FCS news this time of year so what's wrong with happy news from happy valley? It's better than some of stuff getting posted during these slow months.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 23rd, 2017, 04:18 PM

Yes.

ngineer
February 26th, 2017, 02:31 PM
You might just be giving him a good natured ribbing, but there is a shortage of FCS news this time of year so what's wrong with happy news from happy valley? It's better than some of stuff getting posted during these slow months.

Oh, no worries. Just another whining puddy-tat. To me, I was just sharing some good news on various fronts and celebrating the warmth of this winter. I know it's a little 'chilly' in Leotardville this winter, although they did get a new 'yule log', belatedly, for Christmas this year. We will have to see if it generates any warmth. (;-)

Franks Tanks
February 27th, 2017, 07:30 PM
Oh, no worries. Just another whining puddy-tat. To me, I was just sharing some good news on various fronts and celebrating the warmth of this winter. I know it's a little 'chilly' in Leotardville this winter, although they did get a new 'yule log', belatedly, for Christmas this year. We will have to see if it generates any warmth. (;-)

Says the guy who confused Oklahoma with Princeton!

ngineer
March 1st, 2017, 09:22 PM
Not really. The conversation at our table was that we had an assistant going to OK and in the same conversation Mutunga's name name was mentioned as well. I got them reversed. Hey, a 65 year old brain with a history of concussions will do that every once in a while. Got my class action notice from the NCAA. Maybe I should sign up for the scan....

Lehigh'98
March 2nd, 2017, 11:38 PM
Says the guy who confused Oklahoma with Princeton!

Any inside news on how Coach Garrett is restoring Lafayette to past glory? Wasn't the last winning season like 1926?

Bogus Megapardus
March 3rd, 2017, 05:31 PM

I thought they usually used ours, Tanks.