PDA

View Full Version : The Day After, Who's To Blame?

UNHWildCats
January 22nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
OK, I really didnt want to go anywhere near what happened last night. It was heartbreaking to sit there as a Patriots fan and watch the events occur that would lead to New England's first ever loss in an AFC championship game.

Well a funny thing happened on my way to not saying a thing, I clicked a link to a DJ Gallo column on ESPN.com.

One line caught my attention and I couldn't let it pass.

After leading New England to 3 Super Bowl wins in 4 years with some very impressive comebacks and last minute drives, and a great comeback just one week ago, Gallo actually says "Brady is a playoff choker. That's common knowledge now. I mean, heck, Sunday night he blew an 18-point lead and got run over as Manning directed the biggest comeback in conference championship game history."

Gallo went on to say, But the biggest problem with Brady is that he's making a habit out of putting up big numbers in the regular season while choking in the playoffs when it counts."

Perhaps Gallo was mistaken Brady's history for Peyton Manning? Even the greatest players of all time like Joe Montana couldn't hoist the Lombardi Trophy every year but we would never suggest Montana was a playoff choker.

This is actually on the verge of leading me to delete ESPN from my favorites list and adding FOX Sports.

So I put forth a simple question. Did Tom Brady choke last night or was it another reason for the Patriots loss? Please don't answer based on any possible hatred of Tom Brady, think about it and give an honest answer.

UNHWildCats
January 22nd, 2007, 04:11 PM
I blame Bill Belichicks questionable play calling when the Pats got the ball back with 3:30 or so left 1 first down and thats the game yet we get 2 passing play calls that ran about 10 seconds off the clock instead of 80 seconds. Granted we should probably blame that on Josh McDaniels the OC whos apparently the front runner for the Raiders HC job, but all decisions end up in Belichicks hands.

Now I wont just blame that because Manning did make some big plays and the defense failed the team but those pass plays late is what cost the Patriots.

bison95
January 22nd, 2007, 04:18 PM
They lost a game dude!! It happens to everyone, plust they were lucky enough to win in San Deigo, so be proud of your team and hopefully they can find a few recivers off the national womens football league to fill in a few holes:nod: :D

BlueHen86
January 22nd, 2007, 04:21 PM
I went with the defense. No excuse in allowing 32 points in a half.
Can't blame Brady - the offense scored 27 points, should have been enough to win.
Caldwells drops didn't help, but didn't the Pats score on the next play after Caldwell dropped one in the endzone?

BigApp
January 22nd, 2007, 04:22 PM
why the need to place blame? You lost a conference championship game. A game which you were playing with house money after San Diego imploded. It's another damned fine season. Enjoy it!

UNHWildCats
January 22nd, 2007, 04:24 PM
why the need to place blame? You lost a conference championship game. A game which you were playing with house money after San Diego imploded. It's another damned fine season. Enjoy it!

If you read what i wrote i clearly wrote that I was going to stay away from the whole loss and let it be, but I cant just let people blame Brady for the loss when it wasnt his fault.

bison95
January 22nd, 2007, 04:30 PM
If you read what i wrote i clearly wrote that I was going to stay away from the whole loss and let it be, but I cant just let people blame Brady for the loss when it wasnt his fault.

I was coming back from a meeting listening to a sports talk show out of Omaha, and the Host ( a UMASS grad) was blaming it on Brady, saying he had Brett Favre syndrome. Thinking Brady just thinks he is superman now because he gets his head blown up by all media, and thus trys to make a play that he can't. I wanted to call and say it couldn't be Brett Favre syndrome because he came into the NFL thinking he was superman!

The Pats just had a bad second Half, and I think the Colts had something to prove to themselves more that the Pats did.:twocents:

Ivytalk
January 22nd, 2007, 04:41 PM
I went with the defense. No excuse in allowing 32 points in a half.
Can't blame Brady - the offense scored 27 points, should have been enough to win.
Caldwells drops didn't help, but didn't the Pats score on the next play after Caldwell dropped one in the endzone?

Agreed. As the Philly WIP sports talk guys said this morning about the winning TD run up the middle, "nobody's touched Addai yet!"

bison95
January 22nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Agreed. As the Philly WIP sports talk guys said this morning about the winning TD run up the middle, "nobody's touched Addai yet!"
Do you think they allowed him to score (Packers V Broncos 1998 superbowl) so they could conserve some clock for Brady to be Brady?

Col Hogan
January 22nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
Do you think they allowed him to score (Packers V Broncos 1998 superbowl) so they could conserve some clock for Brady to be Brady?

That thought came to mind as I watched the game...

In the end, the defense allowed too many scores in the second half. :bawling:

ISUMatt
January 22nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
I didnt like the fact that the Pats didnt call a TO when the Colts had the ball on first down...That allowed 40 crucial seconds to tick off...on 2nd down they called their 1st TO, 3rd down TD 60 seconds left where they COULD have had 1:40 left and 1 TO which is PLENTY of time for Brady...It wasnt Belichick's playcalling IMO, but his clock management forced Brady into a BAD SPOT on that final drive!!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 22nd, 2007, 05:50 PM
Manning>Brady

period:nod::D

[EDIT] I feel for you, UNHWC...first UNH loses to UMass then New England blows an 18 point lead :lol:

AZGrizFan
January 22nd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Manning>Brady

[EDIT] I feel for you, UNHWC...first UNH loses to UMass then New England blows an 18 point lead :lol:

A little quick on the > draw there, IA. Until Manning has that ring, you got it backwards....yeah, he's got scoreboard right now, but Brady's hand is AWFUL heavy with those rings weighting it down.... :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

proasu89
January 22nd, 2007, 06:13 PM
OK, I really didnt want to go anywhere near what happened last night. It was heartbreaking to sit there as a Patriots fan and watch the events occur that would lead to New England's first ever loss in an AFC championship game.

Well a funny thing happened on my way to not saying a thing, I clicked a link to a DJ Gallo column on ESPN.com.

One line caught my attention and I couldn't let it pass.

After leading New England to 3 Super Bowl wins in 4 years with some very impressive comebacks and last minute drives, and a great comeback just one week ago, Gallo actually says "Brady is a playoff choker. That's common knowledge now. I mean, heck, Sunday night he blew an 18-point lead and got run over as Manning directed the biggest comeback in conference championship game history."

Gallo went on to say, But the biggest problem with Brady is that he's making a habit out of putting up big numbers in the regular season while choking in the playoffs when it counts."

Perhaps Gallo was mistaken Brady's history for Peyton Manning? Even the greatest players of all time like Joe Montana couldn't hoist the Lombardi Trophy every year but we would never suggest Montana was a playoff choker.

This is actually on the verge of leading me to delete ESPN from my favorites list and adding FOX Sports.

So I put forth a simple question. Did Tom Brady choke last night or was it another reason for the Patriots loss? Please don't answer based on any possible hatred of Tom Brady, think about it and give an honest answer.
You ask a fair question, however crap happens and Brady was bound to lose an AFC championship sometime. DJ Gallo is an idiot. Is he really a columnist or just a blowhard on a radio show? Please run Tom Brady out of town. The line forms here in Charlotte for those who will take his "playoff chokin a$$". xlolx

UNHWildCats
January 22nd, 2007, 06:31 PM
Manning>Brady

bite me :nod: :D xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

TheValleyRaider
January 22nd, 2007, 07:07 PM
You do realize Gallo is pure satire and sarcasm, right? The entire column was meant to be a joke. If Manning throws a pick late and the Pats win, you could switch their names in the article and that's exactly what today's news would say.

That said, Manning and the Colts won this game as much as, if not more than, the Pats lost it. The key for me was getting the TD late and taking the lead instead of tying it with a FG and allowing NE to only have to reach kicking range. Of Brady's biggest game-winning drives (Raiders, Rams, Panthers), they only need to get the 3 points. Now they needed to go the distance, and didn't have the time or ability.

ISUMatt
January 22nd, 2007, 07:08 PM
Now they needed to go the distance, and didn't have the time or ability.

See my post above about time and why they lost the game

seantaylor
January 22nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Manning>Brady

Not even close. Trade Indy's receivers for NE's and Brady would have 6 rings by now. NE receivers were to blame for that game. Caldwell and that other scrub from Florida suck. Has Florida ever had a good pro receiver?

BlueHen86
January 22nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
I didnt like the fact that the Pats didnt call a TO when the Colts had the ball on first down...That allowed 40 crucial seconds to tick off...on 2nd down they called their 1st TO, 3rd down TD 60 seconds left where they COULD have had 1:40 left and 1 TO which is PLENTY of time for Brady...It wasnt Belichick's playcalling IMO, but his clock management forced Brady into a BAD SPOT on that final drive!!!
I agree. I told my son they will call time out to save time, and then they didn't. The Colt's gained more control of the game with every second that ticked away.

lambertjr
January 22nd, 2007, 09:27 PM
I'm a TB Bucs' fan and the Colts scored something like 24 or 28 points in the last Qtr to beat us a few years ago.

It happens.......And yes, I'm glad the Pats' were on the receiving end of this one.:D

spelunker64
January 23rd, 2007, 08:05 AM
I picked Caldwell, he's had a decent year, but that was one of the main reason's the Chargers didn't re-sign him last year. Too many dropped balls and fumbles, (which still is a problem). Brady must not have saw him wide open on that play in the 2nd half, it took him forever to snap the ball and then "bug-eyes" dropped it anyway.

NoCoDanny
January 23rd, 2007, 08:59 AM
Hey, here's a crazy theory, the Patriots have less talent and were playing on the road... no great shock here other than they didn't lose by more...

lambertjr
January 23rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
Hey, here's a crazy theory, the Patriots have less talent and were playing on the road... no great shock here other than they didn't lose by more...

They we're fortunate to get out of San Diego with the win.

spelunker64
January 23rd, 2007, 09:14 AM
They we're fortunate to get out of San Diego with the win.

:nod: :nod: SD beat themselves on that day. :( :bawling:

lambertjr
January 23rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
:nod: :nod: SD beat themselves on that day. :( :bawling:

The Int. on 4th down and trying to return it was something I just couldn't believe.:eek:

Pard4Life
January 23rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
I am still feeling ill and nightmarish over this game... it feels as if Aaron the A$$ just hit that homerun all over again... soon as the pick happened I threw something and started screaming like Gary Oldman in Air Force One (recently on TNT btw)... ugh..

Blame? Eh... Patriots defense was not too strong and decimated by illness... surprised they held up really early and MAD props to Samuel and the secondary for those deflected deep passes... or this could have been very different...

I'm very unhappy with Caldwell.. got that TD back, but dropped that wideopen sideline pass.. if caught, it's a first down, and perhaps a TD with some weaving and one-two men to beat... then, no Pats FG, and they are up by a TD and you make up the four point difference at the end...

..when he dropped that, I felt the magic was defintetly running out..

..what was that roughing the passer penalty?? Looked like barely anything?

Pard4Life
January 23rd, 2007, 09:33 AM
The Int. on 4th down and trying to return it was something I just couldn't believe.:eek:

Yeah, my friends and I embedded the rules in our head during playground football... if it's 4th and you have a pick... catch it and slam it to the ground right away.. it's still an incomplete..

blackfordpu
January 23rd, 2007, 10:11 AM
No one's fault, the Colts were just the better team.

ButlerGSU
January 23rd, 2007, 10:43 AM
Not that it matters because the Bears are going to beat down either team they face but I voted for the D

Cobblestone
January 23rd, 2007, 11:06 AM
With football being one of the ultimate team sports, you hate to blame just one guy. However, I have to say that I voted for Rechee Caldwell. I mean, some of our WR's (who very seldom get thrown to) could have caught those two passes. Heck, the kids I coached in Pop Warner football could have caught those two passes. Bottom line, the guy let 12 EASY points slip through his fingers.

Russ B
January 23rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
You do realize Gallo is pure satire and sarcasm, right? The entire column was meant to be a joke. If Manning throws a pick late and the Pats win, you could switch their names in the article and that's exactly what today's news would say.

I'm glad someone picked up on that. :)

UNHWildCats
January 23rd, 2007, 01:46 PM

I didnt realize that until you said it. I have never read his column before and didnt even read the whole thing.

With that in mind, had Manning thrown the pick late and lost Gallo couldnt change the name and still use the column if it is meant to be a joke because over his career Manning had choked in the big games thus the column would have been very accurate.

Gil Dobie
January 23rd, 2007, 02:18 PM
Indy was the better team and was better coached. :nod:

TheValleyRaider
January 23rd, 2007, 02:26 PM
I didnt realize that until you said it. I have never read his column before and didnt even read the whole thing.

With that in mind, had Manning thrown the pick late and lost Gallo couldnt change the name and still use the column if it is meant to be a joke because over his career Manning had choked in the big games thus the column would have been very accurate.

That's just the point though. That'd be what you would see in newspapers all over the country on Monday if Manning gets picked off. "He chokes, he'll never win a big game, the next Marino, etc..." His point, aside from trying to be funny (which he occasionally is), is that people like to say how terrible Manning is, but won't criticize Brady for doing the same 'unforgivable': losing in the postseason. In fairness to Peyton, the Pats teams that beat him in the playoffs previously were pretty good, and those loses were less his chokes than New England being the modern dynasty we all proclaimed them to be. :twocents:

BlueHen86
January 23rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
That's just the point though. That'd be what you would see in newspapers all over the country on Monday if Manning gets picked off. "He chokes, he'll never win a big game, the next Marino, etc..." His point, aside from trying to be funny (which he occasionally is), is that people like to say how terrible Manning is, but won't criticize Brady for doing the same 'unforgivable': losing in the postseason. In fairness to Peyton, the Pats teams that beat him in the playoffs previously were pretty good, and those loses were less his chokes than New England being the modern dynasty we all proclaimed them to be. :twocents:
Also in fairness to Payton, he did lead the team down the field against the Steelers last year, only to have the "most accurate kicker of all time" miss.
You have two great QB's going head to head, one has to lose. I also think that Brady has had a better supporting cast in previous years.